mkeflyer717
Topic Author

Airtran MEM-ATL-MKE Part 2 (many Pics/vids)

Wed Jun 27, 2007 4:19 pm

The day after we arrived at my relative's house we went to airtran.com to purchase our return tickets. During the six days in Mississippi I had lots of fun hanging out with my cousin and his friends. We looked at quite a few houses because my mom and I still want to live down there someday even though it is kind of pointless at the moment because I will be going to college. One day we decided to stop by the Hernando Airpark. I always new it existed but never got a chance to see it in person before...

the only aircraft there at the time

The terminal I suppose lol. I would like to live in one of those houses in the background. They all belong to this airpark subdivision and most have their own hangars and planes. It would've been cool to see a cessna taxi down the road while we were there but that didn't happen.

Weds. June 20th

After a 3 hour nap I woke up at 6am and finished packing up my belongings. We loaded the car up and then my aunt drove us to the airport. The Airtran check-in line was relatively short, even though in comparison to the other airlines in terminal C, it was the longest. At the counter the guy asked if we wanted to upgrade to business and surprisingly my mom said yes. We flew down on business but I wasn't expecting to fly it home too. It coasted $40 more per person to upgrade just for the first flight to ATL. We couldn't upgrade on the flight to MKE because it was full already. Before heading to security we said bye to our relatives then continued on to our gate C 16. I took about the next 30 minutes to some spotting...

After I had seen everything I wished, I went back to the gate where our plane had already arrived...

Airtran 524
717-200
Seat: 3F
load factor: 100%

We began boarding shortly before 9am and once seated I got an apple juice while we waited. The flight attendants were very friendly like they had been on the previous flights. Once everyone was situated the tug pushed us pack and we began our taxi to 36C. Along the way I took some more photos...

Upon reaching the runway we did not have to wait long for there were not many landings or takeoffs on 36C. 36R was a little busier and that is where this FedEx was landing...

Taking off to the north provides some nice views of the FedEx ramp...

As we turned east I tried to get an aerial shot of MEM and this was the best I could do.

Shot of the cabin while in flight. Those seats are nice!

The flight was very smooth and beverage/snack service was the same as before; a bag of chips and a soda is what I got. Our descent into ATL began quickly and I was pleased to have flown past the airport before lining up for 26R...

turning inbound for 26R with vortex's coming off the wing.

on final approach

After landing we didn't have to wait nearly as long to cross the other runway because we took a taxiway around the end of the parallel runway. I don’t remember seeing that there before. Maybe it's fairly new, but anyhow it helps the traffic flow immensely.
Avoid the Chicago ORDeal!! Fly MKE!

mkeflyer717
Topic Author

RE: Airtran MEM-ATL-MKE Part 2 (many Pics/vids)

Wed Jun 27, 2007 4:21 pm

Atlanta, a spotter's heaven...

cleared to pull into the gate

We had a short walk to our connecting gate and my mom checked into giving up our seats for free tickets because the flight was oversold. We would have only had to wait about 2-3 hours for the next flight to MKE so it wouldn't have been that bad. I guess there were other volunteers as well so we had to wait and see at the last minute what would happen. In the mean time I went back to little spotting area at the end of C where I could view all the action on the runways and taxiways. Here's a sample of what I saw...

I could sit in this spot all day and never get bored!

Airtran 872
717-200
Seat: 17A
Load factor: 100%

Back at the gate I watched as our 717 came in.
Boarding began ontime and we sat and waited till all the other passengers got on to see what we would have to do. It turned out that we couldn't skip the flight so we boarded the original flight... something that I haven't been able to say for most of my last trips. We were some of the last passengers to go on and the flight attendant who asked us where our seat was kindly stood by our seats and waited for us to assist us with anything. My nephew attracted a lot of attention like usual and the all the flight attendants loved him. At first it was hard to get used to the coach seats because we were so used to the business seats. The coach seats were pretty tight, but nothing that made me moan and groan. I'm pretty small and can typically find anything pretty comfortable. The flight was very full and as far as I could tell it was 100% full. I noticed that Airtran's flights seem to fill last minute often. I say that because for our return flights Airtran.com showed like 20-30 open seats on each flight the night before, and the day of the flight they all fill completely. Is this because they generally have the cheapest fares and many last minute bookings are done because other carriers tend to be outrageously expensive?

This flight had the most children traveling aboard by far and I was lucky enough to be seated right in front of one  Wink The kid, who could have been no older than 6, said some of the funniest things I have ever heard while flying, but I can barely remember anything probably because I was trying so hard not to burst out laughing. The taxi to the runway took a while because of ground volume like always, but that just meant more time for me to take photos of this great airport.
Practically nothing but DL was to be seen…

mkeflyer717
Topic Author

Wed Jun 27, 2007 4:23 pm

Following a few DL MD88s, it was soon our turn to hit the runway. We did so on 8R and gracefully rotated off the ground…

Before drink service came around I mostly listened to my ipod and just tried to relax. Eventually I dozed off and happened to be awakened by an annoying kicking in the back of my seat! At least the mom scolded the kid instead of just ignoring what he had done. After having my soda and swallowing my hand full of… hell I can’t remember… some kind of pretzels or something… I could not obtain any further rest. My nephew began to get a little fussier on this flight and it took both the effort of my mom and I to do the best to keep him calm and entertained without disrupting everyone else. The thing that seemed to amuse him the most was playing with my window shade, so for awhile he just sat on my lap and pushed the shade up and down.

SDF.jpg" width="640" height="480" border=0>
Passing SDF

In-flight over Indiana.

IND.jpg" width="640" height="480" border=0>
IND - existing terminal

IND- new mid-field terminal under construction.

Expecting to fly over ORD, we actually ended up flying due north over Michigan before making a 90 degree turn to the west. This part of the flight seemed to go unbelievably slow… either because my bladder needed to be relieved or my nephew’s crying increased, for whatever reason it felt like we were barely moving across lake Michigan. My first guess was that we were doing a 25L approach over the lakeshore, but I soon realized we were still too high and too far north as well. Then we turned to the south and flew along the lakeshore before turning west or inland. At this point I was assuming a 1L approach but again I was wrong we turned over the west side of Milwaukee county and continued to fly north. Here I thought we were going to loop around for 7R over my house because in the last couple weeks I noticed FL flights were coming from the north over my city and then heading for 7R, but like the others it was still wrong. We finally extended our flaps and made a right turn back towards the lake…

At last I knew what runway we were to land on and that was 19R! I haven’t done that approach for like 8 years and was excited to be doing it. I couldn’t believe how odd our approach to MKE was because I never experienced one like that before. I can usually tell where we are going to land well before we reach MKE but this flight had me guessing the whole time.

You can hear a wonderful combination of my nephew’s crying and the kid yacking away behind me in the video  Wink

Lake Michigan looks halfway decent for once.. At least I don’t see any raw sewage floating around lol

Slowing to a stop.

Because the approach was so interesting, I decided to ask the FA is I could get a pic of the cockpit so I could talk with the pilots. The pilots were pleased to talk with me and told me the odd approach was because of wind shear. I tried to sound all intelligent by explaining what runways I thought we were going to land on, and they said that the runways were switched on us too. Also the pilots wished me luck in becoming a pilot or air traffic controller, and said to keep with it even though at times it can be discouraging.

I wish it was clearer but that’s what I got.

MKE’s terminal wasn’t too busy but the baggage claim became jammed only after a few minutes. There was some problem with our carrousel so they switched us from 4 to 3 then back to 4 and ultimately to 5! That was a blast. Getting our suitcases took about 45 minutes and after that my aunt picked us up and drove us home. It was nice to be back in Wisconsin where our temps were in the 90’s like in Mississippi, but it was a much drier heat.

Well everyone, that’s it for now. I don’t know when or if ever I will do another report. Despite that I hope you have enjoyed this one as well as my others!

-Gaston

mkeflyer717
Topic Author

Wed Jun 27, 2007 4:32 pm

I'm not sure why these 2 pics didn't work the first time so I'll try again...

Flying past SDF

IND- existing terminal

AirTranTUS

Wed Jun 27, 2007 5:05 pm

Quoting Mkeflyer717 (Reply 2):

Well everyone, that’s it for now. I don’t know when or if ever I will do another report. Despite that I hope you have enjoyed this one as well as my others!

Next time you fly, please try to take pics and write a report. The pics are great and so is the report!

Out of curiosity, what type of camera do you have?
I love ASO!

phlstudent

Wed Jun 27, 2007 10:49 pm

nice report. i'm a pretty big fan of ATL for spotting, ORD is another good spotting airport. I'll be travelling to MEM in september, I will also be travelling from ATL to MEM with FL. It looks like there is a lot to look forward too. Keep up the good work.

ShannoninAMA

Thu Jun 28, 2007 1:15 am

Nice report. Indeed, ATL seems like a spotters paradise  Smile

Oh, and trust me, ive been there, done that  Wink...ive had annoying kids sitting behind me with no parents to control them..... banghead 

Shannon  half 
Shipwreck alert. Head on over to Airspaceonline.com.

skyhigh777

Thu Jun 28, 2007 2:55 am

Great TR! Did Air Tran recently change the look of their business class seats? I flew them to Kansas City in January and they still had the cloth seats on both the 737 and the 717. I have to admit, though, their coach seats are really not too comfortable for any flight longer than two hours.

skoker

Thu Jun 28, 2007 5:44 am

Lucky you- you got to see one of the DL connection newly painted A/C!

MKEdude

Thu Jun 28, 2007 6:54 am

Hey I can see my house!!! Seriously the pic you took on approach that has the North Ave. water tower and Bradford Beach. The left edge about halfway up...that's my building.

Quoting Mkeflyer717 (Thread starter):
At last I knew what runway we were to land on and that was 19R! I haven't done that approach for like 8 years and was excited to be doing it.

I can always tell when they are using 19R for landings You can get a good look at all the planes from the roof of my building as they make the turn south. I have also been woken up on more than a few occasions as the 5 am FedEx flight comes in  hissyfit 
"You can't be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline." Frank Zappa

aviationnut12

Thu Jun 28, 2007 6:54 am

Great report and pics! I flew through Atlanta on the 20th on my way home from Daytona Beach. However, I flew through later in the afternoon. I hope to see more reports, you do a great job! God Bless.
Aviationnut12
Every choice is a step, steps become direction, direction determines destination

oldman55

Thu Jun 28, 2007 7:06 am

Great report and pics. It would be a shame if you don't do any more reports as they are very interesting and you take excellant pics. It would be less confusing though HEHE
too bad most of us get too soon old and too late smart

mke717spotter

Thu Jun 28, 2007 9:43 am

Quoting Oldman55 (Reply 11):
It would be less confusing though HEHE

Aw come on now I don't even write trip reports that often  Yeah sure hehe...Anyways...Great report and pictures!!! I also think you should keep writing trip reports! Otherwise I might as well be the only MKE trip report writer (with pics of course) left!  half 
Will you watch the Cleveland Browns and the Detroit Lions on Sunday? Only if coach Eric Mangini resigned after a loss.

mkeflyer717
Topic Author

Fri Jun 29, 2007 4:34 am

Thank you all for the comments.

Quoting AirTranTUS (Reply 4):
what type of camera do you have?

I use a Nikon Coolpix S4

Quoting SkyHigh777 (Reply 7):
Did Air Tran recently change the look of their business class seats

I'm not exatcly sure, but they might be in the process of changing the 717 business seats over to leather. One of our 717 flights still had cloth and the rest were leather. All the 737s I think have leather seats in business now, but anyone more knowledgable about FL can correct me if I'm wrong.

Quoting MKEdude (Reply 9):
Hey I can see my house!!!

I charge $100 for my aerial shots  Wink

Quoting MKEdude (Reply 9):
I have also been woken up on more than a few occasions as the 5 am FedEx flight comes in

lol then they must come in lower where you live, because where I live, under the approach for 7R I can hear planes fly over, but it's never loud enough where I am awoken in my sleep.

Quoting Aviationnut12 (Reply 10):
I hope to see more reports, you do a great job

Quoting Oldman55 (Reply 11):
It would be a shame if you don't do any more reports

Quoting Mke717spotter (Reply 12):
I also think you should keep writing trip reports

Though I usually enjoy doing them, lately it seems they've been very time consuming. I don't have any booked trips down the road as of now, but I'm sure that will change eventually. If I am very motivated at the time there could be a chance that I'll write more reports, but just consider that a possibility.

Quoting Mke717spotter (Reply 12):
Otherwise I might as well be the only MKE trip report writer (with pics of course) left!

Good point! I would be letting MKE down I suppose lol

-Gaston