Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

AIR757200
Topic Author

AA DTW-ORD-FNT

Sat Jul 21, 2007 11:27 am

Routing: AA DTW-ORD
EQP: MD-80 (former TWA)
Cabin: First
Load: F8/Y120 (weight-restricted max 128 versus standard 16/120)
Flight Service: B+
Customer Service: N/A

Had to go back to Chicago again, so this time, I took the 8:50 flight so I could sleep in more. It wasn't so busy at the ticket counter, I stopped by grabbed my boarding pass and noticed the flight was restricted to 128. I was very surprised for such a short flight, it had something to do with the aircraft itself (former TWA plane). My upgrad was waiting for me and went ahead and boarded, one of the last ones on. We left promptly from the gate and departed from 21R. This flight was limited beverage service flight (juice, coffee, and tea). We arrived into ORD about 25 minutes early and had to wait for our gate, and an elite seated near me told someone on the phone "God forbid we arrive early. This is a bunch of nonesense." I just rolled my eyes, I mean, we were extremely early. After about 8-10 minute wait, we pulled into our gate. Phew! It wasn't the end of the world because I had to wait.

Routing: AE ORD-FNT
EQP: ER4
Cabin: Main
Load: Y48 (restricted Y48)
Flight Service: B+
Customer Service: C+

I had intially been placed on standby for the 757 flight to DTW, but I didn't clear the list. I was rolled over to the next flight which was the CR7 flight about four hours later. Restless, I was going to purchase a ticket on NW or figure out some way out because I had seen on CNN a line of storms was forming. I had contacted someone to pick me up if I opted to go to FNT. I tried to get some hook-ups, but instead, I looked at the monitors and realized the FNT gate was right next to me. It was weight-restricted to 48 and got the "can't guarantee it" (duh) line. Anyway, I waited about five minutes and the agent working the flight got me a seat assignment and said it "was my lucky day!" I can't express how thankful I was to get on the flight or else I would be stuck in ORD until the next day since the weather took a turn for the worst! The flight was quick, about 38 minutes. The F/A was very well dressed in her uniform (very professional looking) and offered limited drink service (water, orange juice, or ginger-ale). The landing into FNT was very interesting, we did a full 180 degree turn to line up with the runway with only three or so miles within the runway. At least some excitement. This was my first time into FNT; very simple airport. A NW DC-9 landed after us and taxied to the gate next to our plane.

..just your average flights, no complaints.

jpetekyxmd80

RE: AA DTW-ORD-FNT

Sat Jul 21, 2007 12:05 pm

Quoting AIR757200 (Thread starter):
the flight was restricted to 128. I was very surprised for such a short flight,

Fuel must have been cheaper at DTW.  ziplip 
The Best Care in the Air, 1984-2009

warszawa

Sat Jul 21, 2007 2:20 pm

Quoting JpetekYXMD80 (Reply 1):
Fuel must have been cheaper at DTW

Haha, true...weight restricted MD-80 out of DTW, on an ORD flight, whaaa?  boggled 

ORD-FNT surprised that was restricted...short easy flight with a low fuel load. Then again, I know there are a lot of connecting international pax on this flight, so the baggage load in the back can be quite hefty. My mother flew the AA FNT-ORD segment for an international connection just 3 months ago & return and she had 2 checked 50lb bags. On return she had 3 checked 50lb'rs (paid extra for the 3rd bag). The baggage carousel in FNT that day had a hell of a lot of bags from that ERJ-145 that arrived from ORD.
Flying a plane is no diff. from riding a bicycle. Its just a lot harder to put baseball cards in the spokes. -'Airplane'

warszawa

Sat Jul 21, 2007 2:21 pm

Also, when did you fly this flight?

I just flew through FNT on Monday & Tuesday this week via Midwest, FNT-MKE-LAS & Return on Tuesday.
Flying a plane is no diff. from riding a bicycle. Its just a lot harder to put baseball cards in the spokes. -'Airplane'

LFutia

Sun Jul 22, 2007 5:04 am

Quoting Warszawa (Reply 2):
Then again, I know there are a lot of connecting international pax on this flight, so the baggage load in the back can be quite hefty.

Personally, I havent seen too many int'l pax connecting to FNT. I do work at O'Hare, just before security in T3. I can tell you alot of int'l pax coming off the JL flight from Tokyo like to fly to Indiana, Kentucky and Ohio.

Leo
Leo/ORD

warszawa

Sun Jul 22, 2007 5:14 am

Quoting Lfutia (Reply 4):
Personally, I havent seen too many int'l pax connecting to FNT. I do work at O'Hare, just before security in T3. I can tell you alot of int'l pax coming off the JL flight from Tokyo like to fly to Indiana, Kentucky and Ohio.

Ah really...well when my mother flew FNT-ORD they were giving gate numbers in flight for connections...she heard Brussels (her flight), Frankfurt and Paris onboard the ERJ-145, I believe 1 or 2 others too...the rest were to the USA (Dallas, St Louis, etc.).

nkops

Sun Jul 22, 2007 9:25 pm

Quoting AIR757200 (Thread starter):
"God forbid we arrive early. This is a bunch of nonesense."

I hate this kind of stuff.... you were still at the gate 15 min early even after waiting.....

You should have smacked this guy in the back of the head or something.

Nice TR anyways
Turn left heading 080 contact departure

N822ME

Sun Jul 22, 2007 9:51 pm

Quoting Warszawa (Reply 2):
ORD-FNT surprised that was restricted...short easy flight with a low fuel load.

It's not always overweight... it can be underweight as well. Sometimes if there's not enough checked baggage, for CG reasons, they have to leave some passenger seats open. Often can be solved by carrying ballast, but then you're just burning fuel to haul around dead weight (and no need to do that if the flight isn't booked to capacity with revenue, or if you can easily reaccommodate 1 person).