Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

RICARIZA
Topic Author

MIA - MEX - MIA ~ AA & Admirals

Thu Jul 26, 2007 9:33 am

Hey A.netters!

Well, I was at work and they suddenly needed me to go to MEX so I couldn't be more excited. I have been to Mexico but never to the Distrito Federal (Mexico City). As we know, MEX handles the biggest amount of passengers in the LATAM region, so I was thrilled!!

Usually for business trips my company has a special website for checking flights and hotels and they book everything based on personal preferences and I don't mind, but this time I decided to travel as early as possible and come back as late as possible and also stay for one or two days extra (on my account of course) to see as much as possible of that wonderful city. I went to AA website and found a really great rate and the AAdvantage people booked me a great hotel package, I was very pleased.

Friday July 20th - 2007 (Colombian Independence day BTW)
Boeing 737-800
Flight Length: 2.45 hours (That's what the Captain said)
Soft drinks and food for purchase
Reg: N960AN

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Suresh A. Atapattu

Well, it all started very early. When I was going to select my seats online, very few appeared available so I figured that less the seats reserved, the flight might be pretty full. My flight was scheduled for 7:30AM, so I went early to avoid seat assignment problems. When I travel alone and in coach, I usually prefer aisle and if possible emergency exit.
I decided to take my car and leave it at the airport. I just purchased it and I am thrilled, so it wasn't easy to leave it there all alone.. lol.. here is a pic of my lonely car at MIAs long term garage: (following the example of my Venezuelan friend "797"  Wink )

OK, back to topic, I was early, went straight to AA's counter and I saw approximately 50 people in line and I started thinking how terrible this was going to be. Fortunately I had my AAdvantage card and went straight to the Business Class line which was empty. Then I found out that it was an early flight to Haiti.

Checking was a breeze, they assigned me the emergency exit seat as I asked and everything took no more than 5 minutes..

The airport at that time was pretty much a ghost town, so I decided to go straight to the Admiral's club located on Concourse D (having in mind that my flight was scheduled to depart from Concourse C).

I saw this poster along the way, which caught my attention because the map was -apparently- as it should be geographically, backwards:

Well, I have posted several pictures of this Admirals club on other TRs, so nothing new to report, but a couple of pics:

OK, time to go to the gate, I took the inner hallways between concourses to get to my gate on concourse C:

Unfortunately when I arrived there, they decided to change the gate to Concourse E, so I was pretty pissed of but nothing to do but go find Concourse E:

Well, after a long walk, I arrived to my designated gate:

Finally some time to take some pics of AA's operation:

That's the tail of my plane:

United, Ted and Avianca tails:

Mexicana:

OK, time to board:

We departed on time.

Isn't this a nice pic?:

A bit old but in great shape:
I miss ACES, I am proud of AVIANCA & I am loyal to AMERICAN

RICARIZA
Topic Author

RE: MIA - MEX - MIA ~ AA & Admirals

Thu Jul 26, 2007 9:39 am

Sorry, I had to do this in parts, it was really difficult to upload this report complete in one post.
__________________________________________________________________________________

Continue.....

I decided to get rid of filling forms early in the flight and I had all the forms from the Admiral club. I always travel with the two passports for several reasons. If traveling to Colombia I have to enter with the Colombian passport. When leaving Colombia I don't pay taxes showing the Italian passport. And for all other countries, I use the Italian so less hassle, you know, I avoid the problems based on the stereotype of Colombians but must of all because of avoiding the hassle of requesting visas. And have to use the Colombian to get into the US again because there is where my working visa is stamped. (I will avoid that once my green card arrives in a few months -hopefully- ).

It was a food for purchase flight, so I paid US$ 3 for the chips.

As you can see, no problem with space on the emergency exit row:

The movie was "Meet the Robinsons" (Pretty boring if you ask me and I love animated movies but not this one). Right after it ended, Mexico City started to show:

The characteristic smog:

Then all of a sudden, The "Licenciado Benito Juarez" appeared on my window:

My first glance at MEX terminal:

Neat and clean:

Immigration was no problem. I presented my European passport but the agent started talking in Spanish so I said: Me dispiace, non capisco Spagnolo  Wink. Then he stamped my passport and said: "Bienvenido a Mexico Mr". I replied with an accent: "Gracias señor" hehe. ( I do this to avoid questions about why it says on the passport that I was born in Colombia, etc etc.. it happened before)...

No luggage to claim:

I exchanged some dollars to pesos:

And out to find the taxis:

There I was, on my route to my hotel in Polanco neighborhood:

RICARIZA
Topic Author

Thu Jul 26, 2007 9:44 am

Part III:
__________________________________________________________________________________

Some pics of the city from the taxi:

The Mexican version of "Transmilenio". Here is called, Metrobus.

The hotel was excellent. The room was comfy enough.

After settling in my room, I immediately went out to explore the city. After a short walk I found the beautiful "Reforma Boulevard" (Paseo de La Reforma):

Several airlines have their offices in this great avenue:

--> I took it later as you can see.

Then I walked towards the Chapultepec Forest with its famous castle:

To my surprise a Colombian flower arrangement, then I remembered that I was Independence Day.

Views from the castle:

Then I went to the Anthropology Museum:

The star of the museum, the Sun Stone (Aztec Calendar):

I have hundreds of pictures, but I will try to post just the best ones:

Then I went to the hotel to get ready for my meeting and met some beautiful Brazilian girls that were purchasing a tour to Teotihuacán, so of course, I purchased the tour too.. (Because of the pyramids obviously..  Wink )

OK, back on tourism. At night a short walk to the Independence Angel. How beautiful is this?

The next day, Teotihuacán. The tour showed us a 16th century church that was on our way along with some amazing ruins:

In the church we found this treasure. Where the Indian Juan Diego was baptized. For the non Catholics, Juan Diego was the Indian to whom the Virgin of Guadalupe appeared. I also went to the wonderful Basilica of Guadalupe, but we took the pictures with one of the Brazilian girls' cameras so I don't have them yet.

RICARIZA
Topic Author

Thu Jul 26, 2007 9:49 am

Part IV:
______________________________________________________________________________________

We arrived at Teotihuacán after a very short ride. The Sun Pyramid, the biggest one:

From the top:

About 5PM we went back to the hotel. At night we went to the Coyoacan neighborhood, very bohemian with lots of activity and a very good vibe:

Next day, I had to work, but I decided to walk along Reforma instead of taking a cab:

I finished my work around 2pm and I was now completely free and it was about time to go to the historical center, "The Zocalo":
On my way, I found an usual name (the name of a Mexican band):

How beautiful is the Zocalo.. I was really impressed and happy with the history all around us:

Murals from Diego Rivera -- Amazing!!

I wish I could post all the pics I have about this wonderful city...

"The world owes Mexico"...:

The symbol of Mexico. The eagle killing the snake:

The Major Temple (Templo Mayor) right in the middle of the Zocalo:

The famous "Garibaldi Square" (where the mariachi performs and stand waiting to be hired)

Then we went back to Polanco and into a nice traditional restaurant called "La Valentina". I ordered "Frida's Tacos" (The recipe came from Frida Kahlo's nana):

Views of Polanco's area:

At night we went to "Condesa", another nice neighborhood, but I forgot my camera.

pacifica

Thu Jul 26, 2007 9:50 am

Nice report!

I like the BMW, by the way  Smile
Interesting map too there in MIA, I'm guessing it is oriented that way to let people easily find the many LATAM destinations that AA serves?

RICARIZA
Topic Author

Thu Jul 26, 2007 9:55 am

And Part V:
______________________________________________________________________________________

Finally on monday, it was time to go to the airport, but I managed to squeeze a short visit to one of my passions: Futbol!
So, when in Mexico, visit the Azteca Stadium!!!! (one of the largest in the world and home of two FIFA world cup finals)

This is "Ignacio", the best fan ever. The sculpture was modeled after the real Ignacio won a contest to choose the person that was able to demonstrate the must visits to games in the Azteca stadium.

And now, straight to the airport.

Early check in, no problem and pretty empty:

And again, straight to the Admirals at MEX with a quick stop to purchase some tequila and mezcal:

How hard is my life...  Wink :

Views from the club to the customs area:

The flight was 95% full, but I manage to get the same seat on the emergency exit row. The airport was pretty full too:

Some spotting while waiting my turn at the gate:

Time to board:

Friday July 23rd - 2007
Boeing 737-800
Flight Length: 2.37 hours (That's what the Captain said)
Soft drinks and food for purchase

Nice but uneventful flight, it took only 2.37 hours and we had a perfect landing at MIA, really, one of the smoothest landings ever. On my way out I told that to the captain and he replied: "I know, I was lucky"...  Wink

I can only say that Mexico city is an amazing city full of contrasts with one of the nicest people I have ever known; also very safe, I mean it, we felt safe at all times at all places. I hope you like this TR and if you wish I can send you more pics I have hundreds...I didn't post pictures of the Performing Arts Palace, The Frida Kahlo's house, and many more.

Venezuela747

Thu Jul 26, 2007 11:27 am

Very nice TR...and very nice car. You guys hiring?
Anyways, I have seen that map quite a few times....I know my buddy bought one of those in Europe and he has labeled everyowhere he has been. I have been meaning to get one
ROLL TIDE!!!

lgbga

Thu Jul 26, 2007 2:20 pm

Nice trip report. You have some really good pictures too. I liked the one of the tacos and just seeing those limes on the table me dio ganas. Mexican limes are some of the best. I've never had Columbian ones, maybe they are good too.

Quoting RICARIZA (Reply 1):
There I was, on my route to my hotel in Polanco neighborhood:

What hotel did you stay in? Last time we were there we stayed at the Nikko. The pictures of the inside of the airport are good too. I never realized it looked that good when I was there.

Quoting RICARIZA (Reply 5):
I can only say that Mexico city is an amazing city full of contrasts with one of the nicest people I have ever known; also very safe, I mean it, we felt safe at all times at all places.

I think that's a very accurate description. I love Mexico! People always talk about how unsafe it is on travel boards, but I'm like you, I've never felt unsafe there and we did a lot of walking around at night.

Thanks for the report.

KLM685

Thu Jul 26, 2007 3:05 pm

WOW RICARDO! EXCELLENT trip report I must say! I enjoyed reading and looking at the pictures of my beautiful city alot! I'm glad you had such a great time. Hopefully next time we can meet and talk about aviation and everything. Plus I'll give you the alcoholic tour ( if you wish) of the city lol.

Glad to see such a great trip report! Good luck!

Alonso
KLM- The Best Airline in the World!

RICARIZA
Topic Author

Thu Jul 26, 2007 10:51 pm

Quoting Pacifica (Reply 3):
Nice report!

I like the BMW, by the way

Thanks....

Quoting Venezuela747 (Reply 6):
Very nice TR...and very nice car. You guys hiring?

hehe, Thanks, well, you never know, we just bought another telecom company, so maybe...

Quoting Lgbga (Reply 7):
What hotel did you stay in?

JW Marriot near the National Auditorium.

Quoting KLM685 (Reply 8):
WOW RICARDO! EXCELLENT trip report

Thanks Buddy!

Plus I'll give you the alcoholic tour ( if you wish) of the city lol.

YES PLEASE!!!!

buck3y3nut

Thu Jul 26, 2007 11:24 pm

hey great trip report... which company do you work for? I'd love to work for a company that makes me travel  Smile
thanks for sharing this trip with us. excellent pictures...

cybergus

Fri Jul 27, 2007 1:11 am

Great T.R. man!. Mexico city seems to be an amazing place. Also i'm glad to see more reports from MIA my second home!! jejeje. Well hope to see more reports from you soon. BTW great car!!!.

Saludos

Gustavo
LAN Excellence in Flight

RICARIZA
Topic Author

Fri Jul 27, 2007 2:38 am

Quoting Cybergus (Reply 11):
Great T.R. man!. Mexico city seems to be an amazing place. Also i'm glad to see more reports from MIA my second home!! jejeje. Well hope to see more reports from you soon. BTW great car!!!.

Saludos

Gustavo

Thanks brother..
Yeah I know what Miami is for Venezuelans; I work in Doral (A.K.A: "Doralzuela") so I know, believe me.
Besides, many of my closest friends are Venezuelans and I feel very close to them me being from the north coast of Colombia so we have many things in common.

XA744

Fri Jul 27, 2007 4:12 am

Ricardo, what a wonderful TR !!! All the pics you are treating us to are great !!!

Very glad to know you had a pleasant and fruitful stay in Mexico City. You have to come back, off duty, of course, and like our good friend Alonso is telling you, would be to enjoy the other goodies the city has to offer !!! Also, if you could get the chance to stretch your trip a little, come and visit us in Puerto Vallarta, where we would be making you feel like in Cartagena or Barranquilla !!!

Hey, judging from the photo of your car, we can only pity you and say: Poor guy, he´s got no wheels, he´s driving a junker !!! .... Just let me grow a little older, and you´ll see !!!......  Wink

Best regards
No matter how you fly...just never get your wings clipped !

tsaord

Fri Jul 27, 2007 6:51 am

Graicas por la informacion de Mexico!!

I never seen such nice pictures of mexico city. I was thinking about going to Mexico for Spanish Immersion but I kept on getting those "you'll get robbed" or "watch out for certain taxis who will kidnap you" and blah blah blah. Its looks beautiful. Or is that just "El Centro" y "Las Afueras"??

Maybe I should put Mexico back on the list!

Great report though!
there are icons, then there are legends, then there is rick flair

EddieDude

Fri Jul 27, 2007 10:41 am

Wow! What an awesome trip report! Congratulations Ricardo, I am giving you two very enthusiastic thumbs up!!!

Quoting RICARIZA (Thread starter):
I decided to take my car and leave it at the airport. I just purchased it and I am thrilled, so it wasn't easy to leave it there all alone

The horrible copper-orange HHR should not have been there. It looks so out of place parked behind your cool Dreier.

I paid US$ 3 for the chips.

That tube of chips is huge... no wonder obesity is such a big problem in the U.S.

exchanged some dollars to pesos:

I dunno, but I always recommend my guests to withdraw from ATM's. Seems you are better off that way in terms of exchange rate.

on my route to my hotel in Polanco neighborhood

Did you ask the driver to take the "scenic route"? By looking at your photos, I can tell that your driver did not take the faster, more direct route.

Quoting RICARIZA (Reply 4):
How beautiful is the Zocalo..

Well, I think it is impressive because of its sheer size and the huge flagpole and flag. However, it is always filthy, full of vendors and because it has no trees, benches, etcetera, it is an invitation to protesters (and campers!!!). Wish they would plant trees all over the square and forbid that people make demostrations there. It is shameful when it is full of dirt and protesters.

found an usual name (the name of a Mexican band):

Yes, well, that café has a lot of history; obviously the band decided to adopt the name as it already had a lot of baggage... Agustín Lara used to be a regular at the Café Tacuba. It is a classic place in Mexico City.

"Garibaldi Square"

Quoting RICARIZA (Reply 5):
also very safe, I mean it, we felt safe at all times at all places

I have been to Garibaldi Square twice in my life only (and both in the quite recent past) and the streets surrounding the square at night are definitely a place where I do not feel safe. Other than that, yes, Mexico City is in my opinion a safe place. I have never had any problem, except for a stolen sideview mirror several years ago not too far away from... yes, Garibaldi Square. It is a pity Mexico City has such bad reputation. I wish more people (locals and visitors alike) would realize it is not as bad as one reads.
Upcoming flights:
April/May: AM MEX-SCL 788 (J), AM EZE-MEX 789 (J).

RICARIZA
Topic Author

Fri Jul 27, 2007 11:46 pm

Quoting XA744 (Reply 13):
Hey, judging from the photo of your car, we can only pity you and say: Poor guy, he´s got no wheels, he´s driving a junker

Heheh, sorry to glow, but I am so happy with my beemer!

Quoting Tsaord (Reply 14):
watch out for certain taxis who will kidnap you

Well, That might be true. I am pretty relaxed but when the locals tell you the same story you better hear. I never grabed a taxi on the streets, only at the hotel or the called "sitios" or rather walk or take the subway.

Maybe I should put Mexico back on the list

Without a doubt, believe me, don't trust stereotypes...what might not be interesting for someone else, might be great for you.. I read opinions and take advice, but I never close myself to a place until I personally visit it. Mexico city is unusual, have in mind that is a very popular city (in the sense that many many many people live there) so some places are a little over crowded, but the whole city is a whole experience. I truly recommend a hotel in Polanco, is like a safe heaven of the crowded and popular places that you can come back at the end of the day to rest or go to a nice shopping mall or restaurant.

Quoting EddieDude (Reply 15):
I dunno, but I always recommend my guests to withdraw from ATM's. Seems you are better off that way in terms of exchange rate

No doubt, but I had some dollars and I wanted to pay the taxi in pesos. The rate on the ATMs is $11 pesos x dollar, on the exhange locals was $10.72 per dollar, but if you pay the taxi with dollars they just ask $10 per dollar...

However, it is always filthy, full of vendors and because it has no trees, benches, etcetera, it is an invitation to protesters (and campers!!!).

I have to agree that is a little filthy, but surrounded with such great places you overlook that.

Wish they would plant trees

I don't think that is a good idea; on historic places, the roots of trees can make a lot of damage in stone or old streets and also in buildings...

I have been to Garibaldi Square twice in my life only (and both in the quite recent past) and the streets surrounding the square at night are definitely a place where I do not feel safe.

I have to say, that I wouldn't dare go to Garibaldi square at night.

Bottom line is: "COMMON SENSE". Every city has places you should not go to.

FMAL

Sat Jul 28, 2007 5:54 am

RICARIZA, thanks for sharing your travel experience.

Very fun reading and enjoyable trip report.

RICARIZA
Topic Author

Sat Jul 28, 2007 7:39 am

Some other pics I found:

I knew I had some more of the airlines along Reforma Avenue:

http://arizainc.tripod.com/MEXICO/variasssssss_075.jpg

http://arizainc.tripod.com/MEXICO/variasssssss_076.jpg

http://arizainc.tripod.com/MEXICO/variasssssss_083.jpg

http://arizainc.tripod.com/MEXICO/variasssssss_084.jpg

My favorite while in Mexico:
http://arizainc.tripod.com/MEXICO/variasssssss_044.jpg

One of the "Angel" at night:

Reforma Avenue, early in the morning on Sunday. I was walking from Polanco neighborhood to The Zocalo area:
http://arizainc.tripod.com/MEXICO/variasssssss_073.jpg

The Mexico Stock Exchange building :
http://arizainc.tripod.com/MEXICO/variasssssss_078.jpg

http://arizainc.tripod.com/MEXICO/variasssssss_089.jpg

The beautiful Palace of Performing Arts:
http://arizainc.tripod.com/MEXICO/variasssssss_101.jpg

I was so lucky. I am a big admiror of Frida Kahlo's work and this is the year where they were celebrating the 100th birthday and they have a big exhibit in the Palace with all her work which is currently spread all over the world, and it is in the palace for just a month, and I was there to see it.. how lucky ah?

http://arizainc.tripod.com/MEXICO/variasssssss_107.jpg

Unfortunately, no pictures were allowed in the exhibition, so I can't show you her magnificent work. But I can show you some of Diego Rivera's murals. This one in particular is very famous. It was originally painted on the Rockefeler Center but when Rivera painted the face of Lenin, Rockefeler asked him to remove it. Rivera refused and Rockefeler painted the mural white. This is the mural....:
http://arizainc.tripod.com/MEXICO/variasssssss_120.jpg

An finally on the zocalo, this sculpture-mural I found it unique and wonderful:

XA744

Sat Jul 28, 2007 8:29 am

Again, very nice photos of wonderful Mexico City, Ricardo. Thanks for posting some additional material on one of the world´s most fascinating places to be vsited, but not to live in !!!

Quoting RICARIZA (Reply 18):
I was walking from Polanco neighborhood to The Zocalo area:

No doubt, walking is the best way to catch the colors, aromas and flavours of places. I did the same in Bogota, strolling for hours, all the way from Usaquén to the Pink Zone, the University City, Downtown and then La Candelaria... I love Bogota !!!

Best regards
No matter how you fly...just never get your wings clipped !

KLM685

Sat Jul 28, 2007 9:56 am

so you pretty managed to know some great parts of the city. And that's only around 1% of it. There's more to see to the south! And plenty of more beers to be tasted definately!

Cheers!
KLM- The Best Airline in the World!

RICARIZA
Topic Author

Sat Jul 28, 2007 7:59 pm

Quoting XA744 (Reply 19):
No doubt, walking is the best way to catch the colors, aromas and flavours of places.

Yeah, I know..

Quoting XA744 (Reply 19):
I did the same in Bogota, strolling for hours, all the way from Usaquén to the Pink Zone, the University City, Downtown and then La Candelaria... I love Bogota !!!

Really? That was a long walk Horacio! that's great!
Well, my family lives very close to Usaquen, near the Shopping mall (Hacienda Santa Barbara)...
Yeah, I love Bogota too..  Wink

ghost77

Sun Jul 29, 2007 2:48 am

Me dispiace, non capisco Spagnolo

LOL! And right after he/she replied, molto amable signore! far sentire benvenuto a Messico! jajaja

Hopefully next time we can meet and talk about aviation and everything. Plus I'll give you the alcoholic tour ( if you wish) of the city lol.

Oh get ready to Alonso's Alcoholic tours! Once started, you can't stop!

Maybe I should put Mexico back on the list!

Go first hand and experience it yourself. Don't listen to what others say. Otherwise, sure you're better staying at home!

Tocayo, what a nice trip report! So many nice pictures to illustrate everything!!

g77

Sun Jul 29, 2007 5:45 am

Ricardo!

Excellent report dude, you kicked a$$!

I really liked the way you wrote it. Made me feel like I was seating next to you.

Despite the fact that I've been twice to MEX and I didn't like the city very much, I liked your pictures and the way you showed them.

(following the example of my Venezuelan friend "797" Wink )

I have sued you with the A.net Supreme Court. You'd better have your attorneys ready for the millions I'm asking for copyright issues! haha

Nos vemos en MIA, llego el 20 de Agosto!

Saludos.
Flying isn't dangerous. Crashing is what's dangerous!

RICARIZA
Topic Author

Sun Jul 29, 2007 6:57 am

Quoting Ghost77 (Reply 22):
LOL! And right after he/she replied, molto amable signore! far sentire benvenuto a Messico!

hahah I would have laugh my a$$ off...

Quoting 797 (Reply 23):
I have sued you with the A.net Supreme Court. You'd better have your attorneys ready for the millions I'm asking for copyright issues! haha

Quote:
Haha.. I am going to find a lawyer from Chavez's court.. They always win!! LOL

[quote=797,reply=23]

Nos vemos en MIA, llego el 20 de Agosto!

Saludos.

Hey, great! See you here!!!

[quote=Ghost77,reply=22]Tocayo, what a nice trip report! So many nice pictures to illustrate everything

Quoting 797 (Reply 23):
Excellent report dude, you kicked a$$!

THANKS GUYS!

ebs757

Sun Jul 29, 2007 7:41 am

hey nice trip report! I really enjoyed it
Viva la Vida

Mexicana757

Sun Jul 29, 2007 9:04 am

Wow!! Great trip report!!! I really enjoyed looking at all the pictures. Only been once to Mexico City but it was a one day thing. Your report makes me want to go back and explore it.

Excellent work!!  bigthumbsup 

Summa767

Tue Jul 31, 2007 1:51 am

Hello Ricardo,
A wonderful report indeed. Nice to see so many pictures of Mexico.
I must admit that cars don't excite me as much as bicycles, and it's nice to see that in Mexico some lanes are closed to traffic on Sundays for people to cycle, and run.

RICARIZA
Topic Author

Tue Jul 31, 2007 9:01 am

Quoting Ebs757 (Reply 25):
hey nice trip report

Quoting Mexicana757 (Reply 26):
Wow!! Great trip report!!!

Quoting Summa767 (Reply 27):
A wonderful report indeed

Thank you!!!

RICARIZA
Topic Author

Sat Sep 08, 2007 10:53 pm

Quoting Summa767 (Reply 27):
I must admit that cars don't excite me as much as bicycles, and it's nice to see that in Mexico some lanes are closed to traffic on Sundays for people to cycle, and run.

Yes, I was lucky to be part of the Mexican' "Ciclovia".. it made the walk along the Paseo de la Reforma much more enjoyable...
I want to go back to Mexico soon, there is so much to see and experience...!! Besides the people are so so so nice.., I can't wait to go back..