Ryanair!!!
Topic Author

SIA New Business Class 777-300ER Part Deux!

Wed Sep 05, 2007 1:12 am

Hong Kong International Airport - Singapore Changi
Singapore Airlines SQ 861
Boeing 777-313ER (9V-SWJ)
Seat 22K Business Class
ETD: 1600H
ETA: 1940H

2 September 2007

Ah… Hong Kong. It has been 11 yrs since I last stepped foot onto this vibrant city of lights and often described as the heartbeat of the Asian economy. A lot has changed… For a start, it is now a territory of China administered under a one-country-two-ruling-systems arrangement. The dwellers are now less rude and seemed to be humbled as compared to the early years when I visited. Humbled by what? I could only assume that Hong Kong in recent memory has taken a few hard knocks from the Asian Financial Crisis to the epic-center of the SARS pandemic in 2004. One crisis after another but they survived…

I never thought I’d say this but people of the world could learn a thing or two when it comes to being courteous from the people of Hong Kong. Singapore has often been compared to Hong Kong (or the other way round, depending on how you want to look at things). Shop keepers were genuinely welcoming, a bus driver of a giant double decker bus assisting a wheel chair bound passenger to get off, passengers at the subway station lining up at the door to allow passengers from the train to disembark first during rush hour….The surprises just kept on coming and I was generally amazed by how much Hong Kong-ers have changed over the last decade to become what they are today – a civilized and gracious society.

Singapore, learn a thing or two from them, please!

I didn’t have time to do much this being only an overnight trip. I woke up very early the next morning and made my way from my hotel along Nathan Road to the Tsim Sha Tsui waterfront promenade which was just within walking distance. This was about the only free time I had to myself during this trip as I leisurely strolled about until it was time to leave for the airport at noon.

Way back then, a trip to the airport would have been a short taxi ride through the narrow and crowded streets. At the end of the journey, as if by magic, a fenced up airfield seem to beckon behind the towering neon signs that was Kai Tak Airport. I still remember the old and mildewy whiff of the terminal building.

Presently, a multi lane highway links Kowloon to the outer islands of this territory which was only accessible by boat 10 years ago. One of these outlying islands (Lantau Island) is where the present airport is situated.

You can choose to take a taxi, train or a bus (my option). The HKD 33.00 journey lasted more than 45 min.

The Cityflyer bus takes you right up to the doorstep of the airport. A very convenient form of transport.

HONG KONG INTERNATIONAL AIRPORT

With work worries and stresses behind me, I now able to properly soak in the experience of the journey (i.e. Cream myself between my legs at the thought of flying Business Class on the 77W). Walking through the doors of Terminal 1, you would first feel a burst of energy from within the building. There were just people everywhere! The entire hollow of the building was separated into different decks that are visible from the entrance and people are spilling out from every level and every corner.

Singapore Airlines utilizes island D. One counter was designated for First Class, two for Business and the rest of the counters for Economy passengers.

Wendy Wu was obviously a ground staff employed by SIA from the looks of the uniform that she was wearing. I asked for a window seat in the forward cabin of the 777-300ER but was informed that ALL window seats were taken. “This flight very popular, always full, people like because new plane…” she offered in very halting Cantonese accented English. I felt like asking her, “Can you please say HONG KONG CHICKEN NOODLES?” Hahahaha…

“Mr Soh, you have seat 22K reserved for you already. Boarding gate not yet ready, ok?”

Wendy then explained how to get to the Silver Kris Lounge but I didn’t really know what she was talking about. I replied in Cantonese that it is ok, I will follow the signs. We both had a good laugh after that because she lamented why I didn’t speak in Cantonese sooner, which would have saved her some brain cells.

Security was tight with the ruling about liquids and gels in full force.

Airside was an amazement in its own right. The spacious expanse that greeted my eyes blew me away. And the windows! Oh man the windows… This airport was an aviation enthusiast’s wet dream. The open concept of the boarding gates allowed easy access to the glass windows to gawk at the planes outside. And in Hong Kong, there isn’t a dull moment because of the sheer number of planes coming and going.

I spent a good one hour plus walking around and taking all the photos I wanted of the airport and the aircraft outside. At times like these, I thank God for the invention of digital cameras.

SILVER KRIS LOUNGE

This lounge wasn’t excellent at all. It was a small room with rather tacky interior décor. In this day and age of rustic earthy undertones or Zen minimalist inspiration, this SK Lounge was sorely lacking in taste. One BIG negative point was the lack of windows.

I was hungry by then because I had decided to have lunch at the lounge. Other than finger food, there wasn’t really much else on offer. I hate to mention this but… Malaysia Airlines Golden Lounge, anyone? Take me to KLIA anytime.

Gate 18 soon started showing up on the screen and this was the designated gate for today’s departing flight back to Singapore.

Gate 18

9V-SWJ looking resplendent posing at the gate while being primed and readied to fly again.

There were many on-lookers staring at the aircraft. I am sure many knew this plane was unique, but described it in their own special way. There was a Cathay A340 departing for Anchorage and Toronto next to us at Gate 17 and no one was looking at that plane.

This gate is located almost immediately next to Runway 25R so we have planes zooming past in close proximity for landing. Quite a cool sight!

1535H: Boarding call.

There was only one First Class passenger today and he was a wheelchair bound Chinese old man in his 90s, who was still very lucid and spoke with a British accent. The line for Business Class was very long, and the Economy Class line at a separate entrance even longer.

Finally after my last few window seat mishaps with SQ 777s, I finally get rewarded with this…

I settled down into my seat at the end of the aft Business Class cabin at 22K. Gasps of wonder and amazement were heard from the Economy passengers as they filed through the aisle past my seat.

CX A340 heading to ANC and YYC, the plane no one wanted to look at.

FSS How Hwee Cheng came by with OJ and champagne, which was not easy for her because of the Economy passengers walking up the aisle.

A peek at YCL through the vanity mirror.

1555H: Doors closed and armed.

FSS Melinda Chew comes around with hot towels as LSS Chris welcomes all on board the Boeing 777-300ER. The towels are discreetly taken away and FSS Melinda appears moments later as we are pushing back.

Pushback from Gate 18, and off we taxi.

“Good afternoon Mr. Soh, would you like a drink after take off?”
“Yes, soya milk please, if you have.”
“Of course we do. Sweetened?”
“Yes please.”

You would look like too if your oxygen mask failed to give you a proper supply of gas!

Safety video plays on but it is useless because no one can hear anything above the roar of starting the engines. The rush from the previous day soon began to take its toll on me and I promptly dozed off for a while. Even I was surprised by how tired I was.

1608H: I violently jerked myself awake with a very loud SNORT and it felt like I had taken a few hours worth of nap. But no… we were still taxiing behind an Air Canada 777-200 towards Runway 25L.

SNORT!.... And this is what greeted me, the pale green Air Canada.

I was now used to the powerful take off to be expected from this beautiful giant. We lifted off into the gloomy skies of Hong Kong towards the direction of Macau, before turning towards a southerly direct track to Singapore by flying over the coast of Vietnam.

Macau and the airport is faintly visible.

Movie of choice for this flight was Premonition starring Sandra Bullock and Julian McMahon.

Within the next few minutes, FSS Melinda Chew came by several times to pass me a bag of Givenchy eyeshades / padded socks, and peanuts. She didn’t forget my sweetened soya milk though.

1646H: FSS Ling Jia Yan stares at her pax manifest and asks for my order…

“Mr. Soh, have you made your choice for dinner?”

Hmm… for the main we had the following:

- Braised beef cheeks in red wine with Portobello mushrooms, fingerling potatoes and green sauce. Created by Matthew Moran of Aria Restaurant, Sydney
- Scallop dumpling noodle soup… Egg noodles in rich pork broth garnished with scallop dumplings and vegetables
- Seared roasted Chilean bass in vanilla veloute, roasted vegetables and sautéed pea shoots
- Panfried chicken with creamy herb sauce, selected vegetables and potatoes

“I will have the beef, please”
“Oh no, that is a popular choice today and we have ran out of it. I am so sorry.”
“Ok I will take the fish then.”
“Certainly, Mr. Soh and more soya milk to go with the meal?”

How could I say no to that beautiful smile? Little more than 5 min later, FSS Ling appeared again. I feared for the worst…

“Don’t tell me you ran out of the fish too?”
“So sorry, fish is also finished…”
“I do not want the noodles…”
“Yes I figured you had enough of that in Hong Kong. Hahahaha…”
“That leaves me with the chicken, which is honestly not that good because I have eaten it before…”
“Oh no! Don’t be so loud because other passengers have ordered it! Hmm… let me see what I can do about it”

Nevertheless, she disappeared back towards the front galley and came back later to tell me there was one more Chilean bass reserved for me. With a wink and a smile, that was the last I saw of her.

1703H: Dinner service began

A savoury note – Marinated scallops with sweetcorn kernels. The soya sesame dressing was perfect! And the scallops were sweet and nicely chewy. Succulent!

Napkins thoughtfully came with holes like these for easy attachment to your shirt button

The long awaited Chilean bass. Simply exquisite! The fish just melted in my mouth not before releasing flavors that was extraordinarily out of this world.

I am not so sure the garlic bread is a smart choice to be served in planes because of the low humidity, it dries up very quickly and becomes very hard like croutons in no time.

Halfway through the meal, we flew into some funky weather and the seatbelt sign was turned on.

A sweet note – Haagen Dazs parfait

The cheese board – I asked for the other cheeses to be removed, leaving behind only cheddar (my favorite).

By now, I was so stuffed I could not even finish the last of the cheese plate. FSS Melinda came by and remarked that I look very full. Indeed I was and I ordered tea to finish the meal.

“We have English breakfast, earl grey, chamomile, fruit tea…”
“Does the list go on?”
“Hahahaha… Many kinds of tea, Mr. Soh.”
“English breakfast, please”

FSS Melinda was beginning to warm up to the passengers and started to get chatty with a few of us, which is good to see them in such a relaxed mode. By now it was 1810H as I sipped my tea, with a little more than an hour to go before I am home.

After the last of the meal service was cleared, I got to chatting with FSS Melinda and what else could we talk about but this amazing new aircraft. She then suggested “Eh, since you like this plane so much, lie on the seat, hug a pillow, and I take a photo for you! Shall we?”

And with that… SNAP! Here I am being a very satisfied customer of this rather wonderfully executed Business Class flight on the new 777-300ER.

1835H: The tailwind must have been very strong because out flight today was only listed as 3hrs as opposed to one that was normally 45 min longer. The flight deck came on to announce that we were nearing Singapore and the cabin crew to prepare for arrival.

Ahh…. The beautiful sight of the very flexed expansive starboard wing of the 777-300ER with the raked wingtips. Truly an awesome sight.

Getting there soon.

As the sky outside darkened, it revealed a cabin that was illuminated by what seemed to be the norm nowadays with new aircraft – MOOD LIGHTING. Suddenly we were wrapped in a purplish-pinkish glow that was supposed to be relaxing. Honestly, it reminded me of those fluorescent colors used at a cheap brothel in Geylang (Singapore’s red light district – FACT: Did you know that prostitution is legalized in my country? So much for us being uptight huh?)

I attempted to take some pictures of the cabin but I am not sure if the colors came out right…

Approach was from the North so there was nothing much outside but a wide expanse of countryside, jungles and plantations in Johor, Malaysia.

1912H: Runway 20R, touchdown…

An idle reverse thrust ended this wonderful flight as we quietly slowed down on a very wet runway. As if to welcome me home, the skies opened up and gave me a shower of sorts. Taxi was fast considering we had to cross the entire compound, over the viaduct with the expressway underneath and finally stopped at Gate E4 in Terminal 2… Taxi time was only 8mins. Captain needs to do Number 2 urgently? Go figure…

The cabin lights come on very early way before the aircraft comes to a stop, definitely not SOP on a SQ flight.

Check-in: 10/10… Wendy is a gem and SIA should be proud to have an employee like her. Jovial and ever ready with a smile despite her struggle with English.

Boarding: 9/10…HKIA’s ample space allows for a very organized boarding. You can form lines for different classes of people (First, Business, Economy, Fat, Thin, Hairy, Smooth skinned, Caucasian, Chinese, Indian, Male, Female, Undecided, Animals, those who think they are animals…..etc) and still have room to spare!

In-flight service: 10/10… Full marks from me this time. This is the way a Business Class service should be. The 3 ladies were unrushed, relaxed, collected and most importantly, GRACEFUL! It was almost like I was watching a BATEY-created SIA ad unfold before my very eyes. However, the mood lighting kinda killed that impression for me and the whole scene took a sleazy turn. Maybe Singaporeans can relate to that pinkish hue…

Catering: 8/10… The Chilean bass was MUCH better than my outbound crap. I felt like I was eating a fish flavored block of butter. Simply exquisite!

Arrival: 9/10… I used the automated passport scanner that allowed me to bypass the queue. Quite a few first timers were evident as they seemed very unsure what to do so that held up the line for quite a bit. But otherwise, it is a convenient method to clear passport control.

Overall: 92%...

This return flight scored very well. I was very pleased with how everything from check in, the airport experience, impeccable service… went from the start to finish. All elements of this journey gelled together very well like male-female joints. If only all flights I took could be like what I experienced on this one, it would be an idealistic notion I would not even dare entertain!

Other pictures of the trip…

IFE control set latched into the armrest, with the seat controls. The cradle position really isn’t cradle, actually. The seat cushion moves parallel to the floor towards the front console while the back rest enters a recline. The foot rest is raised separately. Once everything is fully deployed, I lay at an angle to be flat with my feet stretched into a depression at the side of the front console with my legs perched on the foot stool that extends all along the entire length of one side.

Seat belt does not begin from the edge of the seat due to the width. Taken on the outbound flight on SQ 862.

Along the waterfront in Kowloon. Avenue of the stars…
Welcome to my starry one world alliance, a team in the sky!

9MMAR

RE: SIA New Business Class 777-300ER Part Deux!

Wed Sep 05, 2007 2:00 am

Hello again Mr. Soh,

After noticing the green light beside your username turned on (indicating that you are online) for quite sometimes, I am very sure that you were writing the inbound part of your recent journey to Hong Kong. And here it is. A nice read as well, although less drama than the outbound trip.  tongue 

Quoting Ryanair!!! (Thread starter):
You can choose to take a taxi, train or a bus (my option). The HKD 33.00 journey lasted more than 45 min.

Why did you choose the bus? Why don't you take the train? The train was not there during the last time you were in Hong Kong. I was thinking, if you took it, you may make comparison with the KLIA Express train.

Wendy then explained how to get to the Silver Kris Lounge but I didn’t really know what she was talking about. I replied in Cantonese that it is ok, I will follow the signs. We both had a good laugh after that because she lamented why I didn’t speak in Cantonese sooner, which would have saved her some brain cells.

That left me smiling for quite sometimes. Brilliant!

I hate to mention this but… Malaysia Airlines Golden Lounge, anyone? Take me to KLIA anytime.

I personally think the service in MH's Golden Lounge at KUL Satellite Terminal is slipping. The last few visits to the lounge proved dissappointing in some aspects. I read many good things about the new TG lounge in BKK (which won this year's Skytrax Lounge of the Year award) from Mr. Kwee and a few other fellow A.Netters. Maybe you should check it out.

Safety video plays on but it is useless because no one can hear anything above the roar of starting the engines.

Does this violate any of the international aviation safety rules? It happened on your outbound trip as well (although the SQ's 'IT' girl, FSS Shireen Tan managed to topped the roaring engine sound with her yelling). I thought the airline of SQ caliber greatly emphasizes on safety. A safety video which can't be heard is simply... not safe.

OA260

Wed Sep 05, 2007 2:07 am

Very nice TR and pics, SQ new J looks really nice . Cant wait to go on it on the A380 !!!

Thanks again

OA260

EK773

Wed Sep 05, 2007 4:24 am

What more to say but thanks for your latest great installment.

Glad to read that you enjoyed what is also my favourite airport.

Where to next then ??

alaskaqantas

Wed Sep 05, 2007 5:47 am

Wonderful report!

I replied in Cantonese that it is ok, I will follow the signs. We both had a good laugh after that because she lamented why I didn’t speak in Cantonese sooner, which would have saved her some brain cells.

This got me laughing. I love all the little quips that you put in here! amazing!

I'm surpirsed that SIA always runs out of certain foods, you would think that they would use data from priar flights to know whether to put more of one food onboard then another.

SIA business class is starting to grow on me.
~Cheers-
~~Kyle H.
to some people the sky is the limit, to aviation enthusiasts, its home!

SiouxATC

Wed Sep 05, 2007 6:04 am

Damn I am very jealous. What an awesome report. I hope to fly that someday!

atlflyer

Wed Sep 05, 2007 7:32 am

Wow! That cabin must feel extremely spacious without bins in the middle! 777s already are spacious and airy WITH the bins!

Also, noticed the mood lighting on the bottom of the seats and on the roof. Did they have mood lighting on the sidewalls as well? Did it change other colors besides pink? I think Emirates has mood-lighting that changes colors over the course of the flight...

SR 103

Wed Sep 05, 2007 11:38 am

Once again, great report.

Malaysia Airlines Golden Lounge, anyone? Take me to KLIA anytime.

Ryan, now you know I am a huge fan of MH, but The Golden Lounge is still number two on my list. CX's "Wing" does not compare to any other lounge in the world! Maybe next time you should try CX just to experience their amazing lounges!

CX A340 heading to ANC and YYC, the plane no one wanted to look at.

Now now, I still like my A340's. In fact I think the CX 343 is one of the best looking birds out there.

With a wink and a smile, that was the last I saw of her.

How un-robotic! Good to see the SQ girls are not all plastic.

SR 103

triple7man

Wed Sep 05, 2007 1:24 pm

I have heard how wondeful SQ service is, but would be interested in seeing how it compares to CX. Glad you had a good return flight on the 777-300ER
Have you kissed a 777 today?

B-HXB

Wed Sep 05, 2007 1:31 pm

Only *one* First Class passenger?! Every time I have flown this flight (SQ861/2) it has been chocker in all premium classes... like Wendy said, I think frequent fliers have clued on to the fact this aircraft not only has the new hard product but the trappings that come with it, like the stylish silverware and cutlery. I have to say I adore the shape of the glass in J class - I prefer it to the more flutey tumbler they offer in F.

The only thing I dislike about the new F product (maybe true for J too) is the limited recline, given the seats need to be flipped to turn into a bed, but everything else... superb!

crdaus

Wed Sep 05, 2007 1:41 pm

I see what you mean about the Chilean Bass.......

Your report re-enforces my perception about SQ as recorded in my trip report TG BKK 1st Lounge & BKK-SIN SQ 1st Class (pics) (by Crdaus Sep 4 2007 in Trip Reports) . The cabin service you describe for business class for a flight of similar duration to my flight is far superior to the so called 1st class service I experienced. I hope SQ read both our reports and realise they have lost a potential high value customer (me!) due to their inconsistency.

SIA fan

Wed Sep 05, 2007 3:30 pm

Wow, looks like you got lucky as FSS Ling decided to get you a meal from First Class! Looking at your pic, the Chilean Bass was served on the new PCL crockery!  bigthumbsup 

I wonder how you always managed to get the names of the crew? I always find it difficult to read SQ's name tags as they are dark and quite reflective and I do feel awkward when trying to do so especially with the female crew. Afterall, I am looking at a certain direction when trying to read their name tags and it can be misconstrued as something else  Silly

Great report!
SQ*G BD*S

thaia345

Wed Sep 05, 2007 9:36 pm

We both had a good laugh after that because she lamented why I didn’t speak in Cantonese sooner

Hahahaha well Mr Soh, this happened to me in Guangzhou back in April. I was with my colleagues at the trade Fair when one of them started discussing about products. The poor exhibitor found out we were from Indo and tried his best to communicate it really terrible english and a few 'terimah kasihs' after about 10 minutes of lauging to myself, i decided that enough was enough and then I barged into the conversation and started speaking in my fleunt cantonese ahahah ...trust me...everyone was surprised especially the exhibitor whom also gave me death looks as to why i allowed him the agony he went through! By the way, fyi, I also speak german, mandarin, hokkien, bahasa indo, javanese, melayu and of course my all time fave 1st language ...English ...or Singlish ehehehhe  Smile

Oh man the windows… This airport was an aviation enthusiast’s wet dream.

OK brother...relax relax  Smile eheheh We all know ho much you love HKIA too, we all do too

This lounge wasn’t excellent at all

One of the better lounges in HKIA (besides CX) is actually TG, go give it a go  Smile

Scallop dumpling noodle soup… Egg noodles in rich pork broth garnished with scallop dumplings and vegetables

This is the one to pick, when flying out of HKIA, always take the chinese meal, no regrets...trust me on this  Smile

SQ772

Thu Sep 06, 2007 12:48 am

Another great report... infused with your usual humour and sarcasm. I've always thought HKG has one of the best and vibrant airports in the region. Same goes for ICN... beautiful, well designed, efficient, organized and unchaotic. But me being the Singaporean that I am, and considering the fact that my job deals mainly with airports, I still love Changi for the very fact that it's compact (albeit the occasional marathon from 1 gate to the other - then again, every airport has its far flung gates), well designed layout, warm color tones, greenery (modern, but not till its all steel and cold), and most of all, well maintained facilities.

As for Silver Kris Lounges (SKL).... I think SQ really needs to update them. They're a disgrace in almost everywhere they are present, save ICN of course. HKG SKL looks like some 3rd rated lounge. I wonder why they didn't manage to secure a better location when CLK was built. Lets just hope the new SKL at T3 will exceed all expectations. I was told that it'll be huge, with WINDOWS and expansive views of the whole airport, and new amenities. Unfortunately, only certain SQ flights will depart from T3 when it opens, so you need to be on a Europe, US-Canada, Japan, Korea, Australia-NZ bound flight to experience T3.
There's always a better way to fly...

Ryanair!!!
Topic Author

Thu Sep 06, 2007 6:06 pm

Quoting 9MMAR (Reply 1):
Why did you choose the bus? Why don't you take the train? The train was not there during the last time you were in Hong Kong. I was thinking, if you took it, you may make comparison with the KLIA Express train.

I had both the bus stop and MTR subway (Tsim Sha Tsui) station outside my hotel. However, the train would have needed me to make a 2-stop detour to Sheung Wan on HK Island before transferring to the Airport train. The bus was direct. Maybe I will try out the train on my next trip to HK, whenever that may be.

Quoting 9MMAR (Reply 1):
The last few visits to the lounge proved dissappointing in some aspects.

Really? How so? I am normally left to my own devices when I am at the Golden Lounge so how much more can they screw that up?

Quoting 9MMAR (Reply 1):
Does this violate any of the international aviation safety rules?

The engine start up takes about a minute or so for each engine so it is not like the ENTIRE video's audio will be blocked out. But you brought up a valid point because the video is always played during pushback and engine start up.

Quoting EK773 (Reply 3):
Where to next then ??

If my office does not have anymore surprises for me, it will be the normal JKT commute which I have stopped writing anymore reports... and my trip to Vietnam at the end of the year SIN-HAN-SGN-SIN.

Quoting Alaskaqantas (Reply 4):
I'm surpirsed that SIA always runs out of certain foods, you would think that they would use data from priar flights to know whether to put more of one food onboard then another.

Being seated in the last row of JCL didn't help one bit. Every airline will run into this problem.

Quoting ATLflyer (Reply 6):
Did they have mood lighting on the sidewalls as well? Did it change other colors besides pink? I think Emirates has mood-lighting that changes colors over the course of the flight...

The mood lighting wasn't very obvious until after the plane landed when it became really dark outside but by then, the cabin lights came back on. Being largely a daytime flight, there wasn't much to the mood lighting. But from what I saw, it was only one colour and that is illustrated in my picture.

Quoting SR 103 (Reply 7):
CX's "Wing" does not compare to any other lounge in the world! Maybe next time you should try CX just to experience their amazing lounges!

I really have no chance to fly CX for now because of my travels on SQ. Although I could have booked myself on CX for this trip, I thought it would be a waste to pass on the chance to fly on the new 77W.

Quoting SR 103 (Reply 7):
How un-robotic! Good to see the SQ girls are not all plastic.

In the premium classes, you get 2 extremes... the junior ones training in JCL and the senior ones who have mastered all cabins and are comfortable being what they are. Just so happens that I got the latter group for my return flight.

Quoting B-HXB (Reply 9):
The only thing I dislike about the new F product (maybe true for J too) is the limited recline, given the seats need to be flipped to turn into a bed, but everything else... superb!

The recline was honestly, quite pathetic. But because the seat cushion was already pushed forward closer to the foot stool, you could really be flat and stretch out meanwhile propping your pillow on the armrest. This is achievable at an angle.

Quoting Crdaus (Reply 10):
The cabin service you describe for business class for a flight of similar duration to my flight is far superior to the so called 1st class service I experienced.

HKG-SIN is officially 3hr 45 min, and BKK-SIN is only 2hrs. There is a vast difference in these 2 sectors and the HKG-SIN crew has more time to provide a better service. I have flown BKK-SIN before and by the time the JCL meal is done, the plane is descending. Oh, SIN-CGK is even worse! They go through the whole course within an hour in PCL/JCL and the flight is only 90min!

Quoting SIA+fan" class=quote target=_blank>SIA fan (Reply 11):
Wow, looks like you got lucky as FSS Ling decided to get you a meal from First Class! Looking at your pic, the Chilean Bass was served on the new PCL crockery!

You know what? I didn't even realise that! Thank you for pointing it out. I noticed that the mash potato was not on the menu in Business and I was wondering if they just put it together on their own in the galley?? Now I know so the mystery is solved.

Quoting SIA+fan" class=quote target=_blank>SIA fan (Reply 11):
I always find it difficult to read SQ's name tags as they are dark and quite reflective and I do feel awkward when trying to do so especially with the female crew.

When they come to me, I have to look up. On the way there... I make a momentary pit stop at the left breast to make a quick note of the name, before looking them in the eye "Yes?". Either that or, when I say "thank you", I make an effort to look at their name tags and I end the sentence with their name. This, I notice makes them more comfortable and and they are more willing to engage in a conversation afterwards and provide you better than normal service.

Quoting ThaiA345 (Reply 12):
One of the better lounges in HKIA (besides CX) is actually TG, go give it a go

So if I was flying SQ, I could have gone to TG's lounge because of the Star Alliance affiliation?

Quoting ThaiA345 (Reply 12):
This is the one to pick, when flying out of HKIA, always take the chinese meal, no regrets...trust me on this

I am not a fan of noodle soup lah... If i was I would have ordered it. By the way, there was an old Indonesian couple sitting next to me across the aisle and the Tante (big hair, big tattooed eyebrows, oversized red lips with HUGE gold rimmed glasses with a thin chain around her neck) ordered the scallop dumpling noodle soup. It didn't look all that appetising. I bet you they were on SQ 968 to Jakarta later that evening.

Quoting SQ772 (Reply 13):
Another great report... infused with your usual humour and sarcasm.

You know, I have been reading the comments and I never even realised I had sacarsm in my reports. You are not the first one to point that out. This is a new twist for me!

Quoting SQ772 (Reply 13):
HKG SKL looks like some 3rd rated lounge.

I was half expecting a Suzy Wong lookalike to come out in a cheong sam and asked if I wanted to order Henessy VSOP...

SQ772

Thu Sep 06, 2007 7:12 pm

Quoting Ryanair!!! (Reply 14):
One of the better lounges in HKIA (besides CX) is actually TG, go give it a go

So if I was flying SQ, I could have gone to TG's lounge because of the Star Alliance affiliation?

Think lounge hoping is only applicable if you have some form of status e.g. *Gold, or PPS which entitles you to use any of the *A lounges at the airport. I'm not sure if traveling on J without any *A or PPS status actually entitles you to other lounges. Maybe someone can clarify this?

You know what? I didn't even realise that! Thank you for pointing it out. I noticed that the mash potato was not on the menu in Business and I was wondering if they just put it together on their own in the galley?? Now I know so the mystery is solved.

Did you thank Ling Ling for getting you something from P class? She went the extra mile but it went unnoticed...she must have been devastated  Sad to think that she left the fish on the PCL plate instead of transferring it to a JCL one... she must have wanted you to notice it! hehehe

SIN7

Fri Sep 07, 2007 12:45 am

Like SQ772 said, your TR is filled with sarcasm. It's a really good laugh with those snide remarks of yours.

dwellers are now less rude and seemed to be humbled

Shop keepers were genuinely welcoming

Hong Kong-ers have changed over the last decade to become what they are today -- a civilized and gracious society.
Singapore, learn a thing or two from them, please!

So, I'm not the only one who realized it too. I was telling my family and friends about it when I came back from a trip in 2004. They could not believe what I told them that the Hong Kongers have improved so much. I was at a Giodarno shop and all the salesperson were welcoming and warm, but none followed you around while you browse. I hate it. Overall, my experience with the locals at the dimsum place, the taxi cab were really friendly. Yep, Singaporeans had better do something. Hmmm say $50 for not saying thank-you and please.

CXA340 heading to ANC and YYC, the plane no one wanted to look at.

I would not have bothered too. I'm no fan of the A340s.

I am not so sure the garlic bread is a smart choice to be served in planes because of the low humidity, it dries up very quickly and becomes very hard like croutons in no time.

Garlic bread is so 'old school.' There are some senior management and pax who still like them (re-living the coffee house era). So, that's why is still served on board? There have been numerous suggestions for interesting breads for J and P class like pita, tomato basil, sundried tomato, multi grains, sunflower seed and sundried tomato naan. But garlic bread still stays. I have not tested one good garlic bread on any flight. It's either dried or soaked dripping with butter. Someone told me that most Asian still pax prefer garlic bread.

Did you know that prostitution is legalized in my country

Oh, you had to let it out didn't you?
That's . . . Uniquely Singapore

HKG-SIN crew has more time to provide a better service

not only that, SIN-HKG-SIN is a competitive sector with rival CX. Hence, no expense is spared.
I notice this on CX too.

Quoting SQ772 (Reply 15):
was wondering if they just put it together on their own in the galley

It must have come from Crew Meal.
It might be from PCL, but might not be as SQ's J and P class meals are almost always different.

Hope you did write a good note to SQ for their service ya.

SQ772

Fri Sep 07, 2007 1:21 am

Quoting SIN7 (Reply 16):
Garlic bread is so 'old school.' There are some senior management and pax who still like them (re-living the coffee house era). So, that's why is still served on board? There have been numerous suggestions for interesting breads for J and P class like pita, tomato basil, sundried tomato, multi grains, sunflower seed and sundried tomato naan. But garlic bread still stays. I have not tested one good garlic bread on any flight. It's either dried or soaked dripping with butter. Someone told me that most Asian still pax prefer garlic bread.

I've noticed how boring the Y class bread roll selection out of SIN is too... It's always the same type of rolls... compared to those interesting variations that LH serves.

When I was an out-stationed SM attending meal presentations every quarter, I had the opportunity to choose from a wide range the kind of rolls that would be served in P and J class for the next menu cycle - I was instructed by the SIA inflight services personnel attending the presentation to always have a selection of hard and soft rolls after he noticed that all the rolls that I chose were soft ones. As u can see, I know nothing about bread :-p

And yes, I love garlic bread... and I like them soaked and oily - which was always the case in P class...  Wink

Ex_SQer

Fri Sep 07, 2007 9:31 am

Ryan, love your reports as always, and thanks for your hospitality (and you too SIN7) on my recent trip to SIN. Jealous you got the 77W.

I make a momentary pit stop at the left breast

You're not fooling anyone.

Quoting SIN7 (Reply 16):
Garlic bread is so 'old school.' There are some senior management and pax who still like them

Quoting SQ772 (Reply 17):
And yes, I love garlic bread... and I like them soaked and oily - which was always the case in P class...

Yuck. SQ's garlic bread always disappoints me, but the crew always tries to convince you to select it. On my last flight I had a lovely soft roll with a cute little bottle of olive oil... that was wonderful!

Quoting SIN7 (Reply 16):
It must have come from Crew Meal.
It might be from PCL, but might not be as SQ's J and P class meals are almost always different.

When I read your report I was thinking it must have been a crew meal. However, aren't both P and J meals now catered in tin foils for the crew to plate individually? So, if they weren't preplated, she must have either overlooked the type of plate or she wanted you to think it was from First Class! Besides, IIRC if crew give up their meals for pax and it is noted in the voyage report, don't they get some kind of monetary compensation? Maybe her intentions were not altogether altruistic. heh heh.

Quoting SQ772 (Reply 17):
I was instructed by the SIA inflight services personnel attending the presentation to always have a selection of hard and soft rolls after he noticed that all the rolls that I chose were soft ones.

Haha, those guys noticed that goat cheese always seemed to make it on cheese trays from my station  Smile

Quoting Alaskaqantas (Reply 4):

Believe me, they do... sometimes obsessively. But as Ryan points out the probability of a meal choice running out increases the farther back you are in any cabin.

Siege2L

Fri Sep 07, 2007 5:51 pm

Such a grrrrrrrrreat way to fly!!! I am a loyal Skyteam passenger until death-do-us-apart ( kidding )... when SQ brings 777-300 to LAX, this Angeleno will take advantage and quite possible join a Star Alliance Loyalty Club. Also, I have never been to SIN, and I have heard great reviews!!!

Bonne soiree!!!!

Michael  Smile
Flying higher than over your dreams...

NZ107

Fri Sep 07, 2007 6:44 pm

Great TR! Man I would love to get onto one of those seats... Even if it's only a 3 hr flight! One day... But by then they probably would have released another seat...
It's all about the destination AND the journey.

tsentsan

Sun Sep 09, 2007 1:53 am

Great report! Sounds like what one would describe as a 'perfect flight'.... Good to see SQ gals being warm and hospitable towards the pax!
NO URLS in signature

Ryanair!!!
Topic Author

Mon Sep 10, 2007 12:46 pm

Quoting Siege2L (Reply 19):
when SQ brings 777-300 to LAX, this Angeleno will take advantage and quite possible join a Star Alliance Loyalty Club.

It is only a matter of time before they introduce the 77W to LAX (or have they already?). I was rather surprised by their decision to start 77W flights to SFO first rather than LAX as yields for the latter is generally better. But SQ does surprise us once in a while and succeed with their wierd decisions that they make. I guess this is what makes them a leader in their field, to venture where no one else has before. Maybe Pillay, Tan Chee Beng, Dr Cheong, Chew Choon Seng et al are fans of Star Trek?

Quoting NZ107 (Reply 20):
But by then they probably would have released another seat...

Oct 25 will be the start of SIN-SYD-SIN flights on the A380. What you see now on the 77W (the new PCL/JCL/PCL seats) was supposed to be found on the A380. However, because of the delay, SIA decided to unveil it on their 77Ws instead. Therefore, we can expect the heat (already very high with the airlines struggling to decide what to do to match SQ's 77W offerings) to be turned up a few notches with the A380.

Quoting Tsentsan (Reply 21):
Good to see SQ gals being warm and hospitable towards the pax!

I realised that of you are nice to them, they are generally very nice to you in return. There are a few SQ femme-bots out there who are still clueless on how to reciprocate politeness... But by and large, this flight scored very high because I was very pleased with EVERYTHING from start to finish. It could have been a potential disaster with the unavailability of my meal choice, but the SQ girls salvaged it pretty well, don't you think? I could have played the bitch by purposely throwing my blanket on the floor, forcing the SQ girls to bow to a portrait of Dr Cheong and Chew Choon Seng cuddling, doing some unspeakable absorbancy test in the toilets etc.... ala ... ala... err... I actually forgot his name! I am sure you know who I am referring to! Speaking of which we have not heard from him in a long time.

christao17

Mon Sep 10, 2007 2:05 pm

Very nice return leg, too. Much better view from the window seat!

This airport was an aviation enthusiast’s wet dream.

Isn't it? Between HKG and ICN, you can get great pictures and see such a variety of airlines.

Nice pictures, too. That picture hugging the pilow will be framed and prominently hung on your wall, I'm sure!
More than a dozen years flying in and around Asia...

Ryanair!!!
Topic Author

Thu Sep 13, 2007 7:02 pm

Hi all... I have decided to show you guys more pictures of the airport and planes...

Philippine Airlines A320 with a whole lot of action in the background.

The backside of Lufthansa 747-400 departing for FRA, perhaps?

No shortage of Taiwanese and Chinese planes, they are ever present...

As I was saying...

The expansive windows and it is aircraft tails galore beyond that.

I have never actually seen an ANA 747-400 in my life...

Baby dragons were shuttling in and out like you would not believe!

Guess I was at the right place at the right time when this elusive beauty pulled in. Shanghai Airlines touches down on 25L in the background.

n949wp

Fri Sep 14, 2007 1:51 am

Hi Ryan, long time no see.

Most interesting pair of reports to read, in particular since I did the exact reverse direction (HKG-SIN-HKG) just one week before you (albeit on CX). Nice to know that you've had a good time (despite the rush) at my hometown.

This airport was an aviation enthusiast’s wet dream.

It is now better too for us mere mortals who don't have a ticket to go airside, with the opening of the "Skydeck" on the T2 side.

By the way, you came in on 9V-SWB on Sept. 1st, right? Guess where I was......

Maybe I will try out the train on my next trip to HK, whenever that may be.

Trust me, if you want to see anything on the way at all, the bus is the way to go. The train is good for being the quickest way into/from the city and also offers in-town check-in at the "Hong Kong" and the "Kowloon" stations (except for US-direct flights). If you're not heading to/from somewhere close to one of the airport rail stations, it's likely a bigger detour.

'949
HKG

ba319-131

Tue Sep 18, 2007 6:57 am

Very nice follow up indeed and really enjoyed the photo's too.

Regardless of the fact that you enjoted the meal, itr's pretty poor you had to take the third choice of meal.

The SQ seat looks nice, but a bit too wide for my liking, a little too much like a bench.

Regards

Mark
111,732,733,734,735,736,73G,738,739,7M8,BBJ,741,742,743,744,752,753,762,763,764,772,77L,773,77W,L15,D10,30,40,AB3,AB6,A312,313,318,319,320,20N,321,332,333,342,343,345,346,388,CS1,CS3,I86,154,SSJ,CRJ,CR7,CR9,145,170,175,220

Ryanair!!!
Topic Author

Tue Sep 18, 2007 9:10 am

Hi N494WP,

Do you realise that it has been 4 years since we've met? A lot has changed since then eh?

Quoting N949WP (Reply 25):
It is now better too for us mere mortals who don't have a ticket to go airside, with the opening of the "Skydeck" on the T2 side.

This was my first trip (of many) to HKIA. I did notice that when i entered the terminal building, it was designated as Terminal ONE. I was wondering where in the hell is TWO?? Ahh... so now I know. And a very nice viewing deck at that! I will definitely head there the next time. Viewing decks are becoming a rarity. Even Changi's vieing gallery gets smaller and more obscured as time goes on so eventually if evolution takes its course, it will completely be gone. I wonder if our new T3 has a great vewing area? I can only keep my fingers crossed.

Quoting N949WP (Reply 25):
By the way, you came in on 9V-SWB on Sept. 1st, right? Guess where I was......

This is so cool, someone taking a photo of my approaching plane. I wish this could happen more often! I am sure there are some photos of planes in the database with me flying in it.

Hi there BA319-131,

Quoting BA319-131 (Reply 26):
Regardless of the fact that you enjoted the meal, itr's pretty poor you had to take the third choice of meal.

I know, I was pretty bummed actually. But like I mentioned, the fantastic crew more than saved the day as far as I was concerned and I still managed to get what I wanted - the Chilean bass. The side dishes differed though but still a delicious meal nevertheless.

Quoting BA319-131 (Reply 26):
The SQ seat looks nice, but a bit too wide for my liking, a little too much like a bench.

That seems to be the main complaint. It is indeed very uncomfortable to be sitting on that chair.

Airbus340

Wed Oct 17, 2007 6:28 pm

Great TR's Ryanair!!!

My wish one day is to fly a BCN-SIN-BCN flight with the SIA B777-300ER they use...but in economy, of course!

Thanks for sharing!

Airbus340

Ryanair!!!
Topic Author

Fri Oct 19, 2007 2:44 am

Quoting Airbus340 (Reply 28):
My wish one day is to fly a BCN-SIN-BCN flight with the SIA B777-300ER they use...but in economy, of course!

Hello Airbus A340, once you fly all thge way to SIN, you might as well use the opportunity to fly the 77W onwards to HKG like I did. You can then compare the different experience between a long and short haul on SQ.

B747forever

Sun Oct 28, 2007 7:43 pm

Another great TR by you.

The pics are brilliant.

Thank you for sharing.

B747forever.
Work Hard, Fly Right

ThatPlaneGuy

Thu Apr 17, 2008 11:05 pm

Another excellent TR laced with your good humour, descriptive comments and tips. I like HKG too, especially since the viewing deck is now open and a huge bonus for all us spotters is that you can check-in at the train station and get your boarding pass, which means if your flight leaves late evening, you can be airside the whole day...if you choose.

One question I have for you, if you don't mind, is : Are you a spotter too? Ie: do you make notes of the aircraft you see, and where you see them?

Thanks again for another excellent read.

Best regards.

Gio
Its about the airlines and the planes they fly

Ryanair!!!
Topic Author

Fri Apr 18, 2008 1:19 am

Quoting Thatplaneguy (Reply 31):
One question I have for you, if you don't mind, is : Are you a spotter too? Ie: do you make notes of the aircraft you see, and where you see them?

Gio,

I spot in my own way, I guess. I take a lot of photographs and by default, the registration as well. I make notes of the entire trip from check in to disembarkation and these little scribbles all combine into a trip report like the one you just read.

It is interesting how my old reports are getting a revival of sorts! Hahaha...

Cheers
Ryan