AIR757200
Topic Author

AA DTW-DFW-DTW

Fri Nov 09, 2007 2:11 pm

Airline/Routing: AA DTW-DFW
EQP: 738
Cabin: Main
Load: 50%
Flight Status: Delayed Take-Off (DTW ATC/High Winds)
Arrival: A + 50
Score: 9/10

My family and I decided to head down to Dallas for two nights to visit some relatives. It was very windy out so it was to be an interesting take-off out of Detroit. The inbound flight was a few minutes late (probably due to arrival delays/high winds). We had a light load going down and boarding went along quickly. We taxied out to runway 22R, behind about five other planes when I noticed, the plane on the runway, had turned off its lights and started taxing down 22R. The captain came on and said they changed runways and we'll taxi down to the new runway (which ended up being 4R). Luckily we didn't loose our spot and we just followed the planes, and the ones behind us (about 10) followed us down 22R. Arrivals were coming down on runway 27L and 27R (now open). You could feel the plane shake from the wind when we would come to a stop. Once we came around to 4R, there were planes all over the place. We finally got up to 4R and made a quick turn onto the runway and basically gunned it for take-off. A few seconds after lift-off, we banked to the left and had a few good shakes. From initial taxi to take-off, it was about an hour or so. They did play in-flight programming during the ground delay. The captain came on and apologized and said he overheard ground say there about 80 planes stacked up and we were lucky to have kept our spot (number 5 for take-off). Our cruise was 40,000 ft. The F/A's came around for drink service and buy-on-board snacks. As the CBS programming came to a close later in the flight (about an hour into it), they played the movie Hairspray since we were delayed. We came into DFW about 50 minutes late, most of the flight were local passengers. The F/A's on this flight were extremely upbeat and lots of smiles, my pick for the best service was the number three F/A. I still give this flight a high mark as the delay was outside of AA control (plus they handled it well with watching in-flight).

Airline/Routing: AA DFW-DTW
EQP: S80
Cabin: Main
Load: 95%
Flight Status: On-Time
Score: 9/10

We got to DFW about 50 minutes prior to the flight and the security line was fairly long in C-concourse. By the time we cleared it, we had about five minutes until boarding. I'm not one to board right away, so we walked around and came back 15 minutes later and not to many people were left to board. We departed the gate and taxied to the runway promptly and were on our way to DTW. Our cruise was 33,000 ft. The flight was very smooth and the F/A's came around with drink and buy-on-board service. The F/A's on this flight were also nice and friendly, the number two was my pick for best service. After about two hours of flight, we began our approach into Detroit and landed, taxied to the gate right on time. Overall, good basic service, a quiet and smooth flight.

Overall: 9/10.  Smile

B747forever

RE: AA DTW-DFW-DTW

Sat Nov 10, 2007 9:15 am

A short but good TR.

Quoting AIR757200 (Thread starter):
The captain came on and apologized and said he overheard ground say there about 80 planes stacked up and we were lucky to have kept our spot (number 5 for take-off)

That was really good. Think if you would stuck behind that all 80planes??? What a hell it would be.

Thank you for sharing,

B747forever.

triple7man

RE: AA DTW-DFW-DTW

Sat Nov 10, 2007 9:19 pm

Thank you for your report and I'm glad you had a good trip on AA despite the delays. I am a retired AA reservations supervisor so your situation I've heard all too many times. Still, that is definitely in AA's favor when you get good service despite the delays. We don't like them any more than you do, because our airplanes don't make money sitting at a gate or on a taxiway. They make money flying. Plus passengers are on that plane for a reason, and we understand that. Still there is nothing we can do about weather or air traffic control, except ride it out and eventually we will get you to where you're going. It is a credit to the airline when it's personnel still give you good service.