Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

HALFA
Topic Author

Halfa Crew Report: NFL Charter SEA-CLE-SEA W/Pics

Fri Nov 16, 2007 8:01 pm

I wrote this report early last week and tried to post it with pictures that I uploaded to my profile. Unfortunately, this site has a glitch at the present time and we are unable to attach pictures that were sucessfully uploaded to our profiles to our reports. I have been waiting for the problem to be solved but it doesn't look like it will happen any time soon so I am posting this report as is, and if you would all like to view the pictures that had accompanied this report, I will ask that you click on my profile after reading and view all photos and captions. I know it's not very convenient but I can't think of any better ideas. Here is the report from last week.

As some of you may or may not know, Hawaiian Airlines has been designated the official airline of the Seattle Seahawks this year, in addition to the same designation that we have held with the Oakland Raiders organization for several years. HA flies both the Raiders and now the Seattle Seahawks to all of their away games. This past weekend, I had the privilege of being a crew member on our charter flight from Seattle to Cleveland and I wanted to share with you what working a trip like this is like.

On Friday, November 1st, our crew left the hotel and arrived at Seattle's ASIG terminal at the south end of SEA-TAC. We were scheduled to work on aircraft # 593 which is the designated aircraft for our Seahawk charters as the Seahawk logo has been affixed to this aircraft

Big version: Width: 640 Height: 480 File size: 49kb

However, we were informed that the aircraft had to make a diversion the night before to Los Angeles due to a medical emergency and that we would now be flying on aircraft #588.
Big version: Width: 640 Height: 480 File size: 41kb

We boarded the aircraft through the portable stairwell as there are no jetbridges at the charter terminal. All crew bags are left on the ramp and placed in cargo.
Prior to boarding, we check our emergency equipment as usual, and then prepare all food and drinks for our pre departure service. Each seat will have a pillow with the Seahawks logo
Big version: Width: 640 Height: 480 File size: 18kb

As well as a blanket, bottle of water and a noise reduction headset that were specially designed for these flights as they too have the Seahawks insignia.
Big version: Width: 640 Height: 480 File size: 37kb

Name plates are placed on each seatback, as everyone in the FWD and MID cabins have assigned seats.
Big version: Width: 640 Height: 480 File size: 48kb

Big version: Width: 640 Height: 480 File size: 58kb

Big version: Width: 640 Height: 480 File size: 53kb

The head coach (Mike Holmgren), as well as position coaches and coordinators, and the Seahawks executives sit in the First Class section. Since there are not enough F class seats for all positional coaches and coordinators, they take turns sitting in F Class for each road game. Coach Holmgren and the executives will always have F Class seats. Players sit in the last half of the economy section and each of them have their own seat grouping as the aircraft is in a 2-3-2 configuration.
Our flight was scheduled to depart Seattle at 2:00pm and at 1:00pm, the 4 buses that carry everyone pulled up and boarding commenced. During boarding, we play a video that has no music but shows the Seahawks logo on all cabin screens.
Big version: Width: 640 Height: 480 File size: 53kb

We quickly hung up coats, served drinks, offered snacks and newspapers, and next thing I knew the door was closing and we were leaving, a full 21 minutes early
Due to very strong tail winds, our flight would only take us 3 hours and 39 minutes, on a northerly route over Montana, North Dakota, Minnesota, Wisconsin and Michigan.
Once airborne, we offer digi players to everyone and then start a movie on the cabin screens. Today's movie was "The Contract". Movies are chosen by the team.
About 20 minutes after takeoff, we commence with our meal service. Choice of entree's were Herb Crusted Filet Mignon or a Roasted Chicken Breast. All entrees are big and come with either potato/rice, vegetables, as well salad, rolls, and dessert.
Big version: Width: 640 Height: 480 File size: 41kb

For those not wanting a big meal, we also have chef salads, and fruit plates on board. In addition, snacks are always available. We offer fresh fruit, cheese and crackers, deli sandwiches, ice cream, candy bars, protein bars, you name it, we probably have it.
Big version: Width: 640 Height: 480 File size: 42kb

Big version: Width: 640 Height: 480 File size: 66kb

Big version: Width: 640 Height: 480 File size: 50kb

After the meal service, we do frequent walk throughs with water and offer drinks and snacks, although most people are full and they all have water bottles at their seats.
One hour before landing, we come through with freshly baked chocolate chip cookies and milk.
Big version: Width: 640 Height: 480 File size: 54kb

On decent, we pass out all of the coats, and p
repare for landing.
Our flight landed at 8:38pm and we taxied over to the Jet Center terminal and parked. The aircraft would sit here for about 49 hours.
Big version: Width: 640 Height: 480 File size: 26kb

After everyone disembarked, we walked downstairs and boarded the van that would take us to our hotel in downtown Cleveland. It was my first visit to Cleveland and also my first time to Ohio. The first thing that we all noticed as we got closer to downtown, was the smell. I wasn't sure if it was coming from a factory or the lake, but there was a distinctive odor to the city. Otherwise, we were all excited to be there and we made our way to the Crowne Plaza Hotel at City Center. I got to my room and was really happy to open my curtain and see that I looked right out to the Cleveland Browns Stadium.
Big version: Width: 640 Height: 480 File size: 56kb

Big version: Width: 640 Height: 480 File size: 37kb

I have been a football fan my entire life and always enjoy visiting stadiums across the U.S. as well as other parts of the world. In fact, one of the reasons I wanted to work this particular charter was so that I could visit the Pro Football Hall of Fame in Canton. One of our crew members had a brother living in Ohio and he picked us up the next day and drove us there. It was awesome!
Big version: Width: 640 Height: 480 File size: 35kb

I have been a Denver Bronco fan my entire life and it was great seeing all of the exhibits dedicated to my favorite NFL player of all time, John Elway.
Big version: Width: 640 Height: 480 File size: 28kb

They even had an exhibit dedicated to the infamous "drive" in the AFC Championship game played in the old Browns stadium. It was great!
After visiting the HOF, we drove back to Cleveland and made our way to a nice restaurant in the Cleveland Heights area that was recommended by fellow A.Netter HPAEAA. It was called the Mad Greek and it was very good! Thanks for the recommendation HPAEAA!
The next morning we got up and visited the Rock & Roll Hall Of Fame which was also conveniently located near our hotel and right next to the stadium.
[We all enjoyed that as well, but sorry, no pictures as they don't allow photography inside the exhibits.
After visiting the Rock HOF, we went next door to the game as we were all given tickets.
Big version: Width: 640 Height: 480 File size: 48kb

Big version: Width: 640 Height: 480 File size: 76kb

Big version: Width: 640 Height: 480 File size: 55kb

As has been my experience with working the Raiders charters, the visitors section of stadiums are almost always located in the nosebleed section, but I certainly wasn't complaining. Free tickets are free tickets! We were able to stay until mid way through the 3rd quarter as we then had to hurry back to the hotel and get back to the airport to prepare for our flight back to Seattle.
The game went into overtime so we were delayed a bit going back to Seattle. We were originally scheduled to depart at 9:00pm but we didn't leave until 9:47pm, and unfortunately, the Seahawks lost, so the mood was a bit subdued going back.
I wont go into detail about everything that we did going back as it was basically the same thing, with slightly different entree choices and movies. We showed "I Now Pronounce You Chuck and Larrry" as well as "Death Sentence".
In addition to our normal food offerings, we also have hot cheeseburgers and hot chicken sandwiches at each door during boarding as the team is very hungry after the game.
The flight going back to Seattle was 5 hours and 6 minutes as we now had strong head winds, and we didn't arrive back at the ASIG terminal until 12:08am.
And for those interested, our crew was a Honolulu based crew. We worked HA flight 22 from HNL to SEA on Thursday(11/1), and then worked HA #29 from SEA to OGG on Monday (11/5) then deadheaded back to HNL from OGG.
I have probably left things out that some of you want to know, so if you have any questions for me, I'd be happy to respond.

Aloha,
HALFA
Hawaiian Airlines Since 1929...........

Mason

RE: Halfa Crew Report: NFL Charter SEA-CLE-SEA W/Pics

Fri Nov 16, 2007 9:24 pm

What happened to Paul Allen's 757 they used to fly around in? Nice report.

AirTranTUS

Fri Nov 16, 2007 9:41 pm

Good report. Go Browns!! I have been over that bridge in Akron many times. Never been to the HOF though.

And I can see the pictures just fine.
I love ASO!

roseflyer

Sat Nov 17, 2007 12:56 am

Thanks for the interesting trip report. It is always fun to see unusual flights. I didn't realize that the team now uses HA instead of using one of Paul Allen's jets.
If you have never designed an airplane part before, let the real designers do the work!

B747forever

Sat Nov 17, 2007 8:14 pm

Really nice TR.

Really interesting read.

The pics are so tiny, can you make them bigger???

Thank you for sharing,

B747forever.
Work Hard, Fly Right

AirTranTUS

Sat Nov 17, 2007 9:52 pm

Quoting B747forever (Reply 4):
The pics are so tiny, can you make them bigger???

Click on them.
I love ASO!

dimoko

Sat Nov 17, 2007 10:17 pm

great report, as a football fan, i always want to see how they teams do this.

and as a browns fan, im glad the seahawks went home subdued!!
"I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be." -- Douglas Adams

AirframeAS

Sun Nov 18, 2007 1:35 pm

Quoting Mason (Reply 1):
What happened to Paul Allen's 757 they used to fly around in?

He sold it. To whom is something I don't know.
A Safe Flight Begins With Quality Maintenance On The Ground.

United_fan

Wed Nov 28, 2007 6:57 pm

I didn't think HA had enough 767's to let one sit in CLE for 49 hours,but they must....I know the BUF Bills use DL 763's , and they don't stay @ the away airport for 2 days,but HA has nothing else on the East Coast.
"Suspicion is a matter of opinion"

AirlineBrat

RE: Halfa Crew Report: NFL Charter SEA-CLE-SEA W/P

Thu Nov 29, 2007 7:21 am

That was a really cool report! I always wondered what a pro sports charter was like. I definitely want to visit the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame one of these days. I'd probably make a bee line towards the Grateful Dead exhibit once there.......

I am Hawaii bound in early January. I cashed in miles and jumped on AS's new service to HNL. But I will be flying HA for my interisland legs. This won't be my first time on HA, I flew between HNL and OGG in 1972 when I was a little kid and once more in 1983 when I was just old enough to legally drink (it was 18 back then). I am looking forward to flying HA once again. I remember how the flight attendants had such an Aloha vibe. My stepmother is a retired UA flight attendant. She flew the SFO-HNL flights all the time in the late 60's and has fond memories of her layovers over there.

Knowing the size of your average pro football player, did they have problems fitting into a Y class seat? Sorry if that was a stupid question......
I'm leavin on a jet plane. Don't know when I'll be back again....

MCOflyer

Sun Dec 02, 2007 10:52 pm

Very good trip. I bet it gave you a chance to get off your native state and explore another. Keep up the tr's as they are very interesting.

Hunter
Never be afraid to stand up for who you are.

boeing 747-311

Wed Dec 05, 2007 5:28 am

When I Click on your profile, I do not see all of the pictures, any recommendations?
Come fly with US

luv2fly

Wed Dec 05, 2007 8:15 pm

Glad to hear you had a good time here in Cleveland and if you ever get back to this neck of the woods then drinks are on me.
You can cut the irony with a knife

HALFA
Topic Author

Thu Dec 06, 2007 6:23 am

Quoting Boeing 747-311 (Reply 11):
When I Click on your profile, I do not see all of the pictures, any recommendations?

I apologize. I removed them 2 days ago as I received a message from another anetter advising me to do so as apparently the trip report was in violation of an NFL privacy act/agreement. I didn't realize that there was a problem with posting photos from my trip here on anet but felt it was not worth jeopardizing my employment. Sorry you missed them.

Quoting Luv2fly (Reply 12):
Glad to hear you had a good time here in Cleveland and if you ever get back to this neck of the woods then drinks are on me.

I had a great time in Cleveland! If I'm ever back there, I'll take you up on your offer! I'm off to Green Bay tomorrow as we will be flying the Raiders there for their game vs. the Packers.

N593HA

Thu Dec 06, 2007 9:18 am

Hey HALFA,

nice trip report. Thanks for sharing. I'm happy that I read your report a couple of days ago already, so I still had a chance to see those nice pics you took.
I didn't know, that #593 was the dedicated Seahawks aircraft. The sticker locks good on her though. But I liked it better when #593 was dedicated Raiders aircraft a couple of years ago.
Do you know, if #592 is this year once again the dedicated Raiders aircraft?

Aloha
N593HA
Next trip: KL+NW to HNL

HALFA
Topic Author

Thu Dec 06, 2007 7:21 pm

Quoting N593HA (Reply 14):
Do you know, if #592 is this year once again the dedicated Raiders aircraft?

Indeed it is. I will be taking #592 to Green Bay tomorrow.

Aloha!