Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Transpac787
Topic Author

LAS-TUL-LAS On Champion 727's (pics/vids)

Sat Nov 17, 2007 1:15 am

Hey all,

Well, here's my third TR on a.net now. Most my whole family is going to be out of town this Thanksgiving, so I had planned on taking a trip to Europe to spend the holiday. The loads across the oceans were fine, but the flights getting to the hubs were totally full. So, no Europe for me. As a bit of a "consolation" to myself, I decided to head out to LAS and try to nonrev on a Champion 727. I have no way to check loads on Champion, so the whole trip was really a shot in the dark for me. It turned out great though, because I got two flights on the three-holer, both with excellent window seats aft of the wing!! Also, this trip was my first time ever riding WN, both DEN-LAS and the return, LAS-DEN (both 733's). I enjoyed the people from WN, and the cabins were quite nice, but I totally HATE the boarding process. As a nonrev, they make you board dead last - something I'm not disagreeing with, it's just a pain in the neck. Anyhow......

15 November 2007
MG550, LAS-TUL
727-212/Adv, N293AS
Seat: 28F, Coach

Load Factor-
Coach: 90%

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Chad Thomas - Jetwash Images

I got to LAS with about a 1hr50min window to connect. So, I went to the check-in area in terminal 1, only to not find any Champion check-in desks or kiosks. So, I checked this airport info map, which said that Champion was now in Terminal 2, the international terminal at LAS. So, after a short walk, I got over to terminal 2. There was no line at check-in, which was really nice. The CS agent typed for awhile, then asked "window or aisle??", which surprised me a bit, considering it's very rare when nonrevs are given seats at check-in as opposed to the gate. So, crossing my fingers, I asked if there were any window seats available aft of the exit rows. She looked for a bit, then answered in the affirmative, giving me a boarding pass for 28F. WooHoo!!!!!!!

http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i239/elementx109/IMG_1245.jpg
N293AS sitting at T2- Gate 7 in LAS.

Champion still boards their aircraft using the older method of calling row numbers, and called for rows 25-33 to board, of which I think I was first in line as I was so excited to get on the old 727!!! 28F is pretty far back, but the view was awesome.

http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i239/elementx109/IMG_1249.jpg
Sitting on the ramp in LAS - view from 28F

Boarding was completed relatively quickly, and we were finally on our way. Hearing the old JT8D's start up was awesome.... and loud!! We taxied to the runway, and held-short for quite some time, 3-4 landing aircraft before us. Then, we started our takeoff. It was actually quite interesting, as the crew began spooling up the engines considerably early in the turn onto the runway, throttling up the whole time. It's hard to describe, so here's the video of it:

Takeoff was pretty long. One thing that is incredibly unique about the 727 is the delay between rotation and when the main gear leave the ground. I counted at least 6-7 seconds that we ran on the main gear before they finally lifted off. You have got to love the roar of the old Pratt motors though....it was definitely loud in the back!! The rest of the flight was very uneventful - I did stay up for the whole thing though, wanting to "absorb" every moment aboard the 727!! The cabin service was excellent, and the FA's were very nice and professional.

http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i239/elementx109/IMG_1263.jpg
Cabin, seen during cruise at FL330.

Before I knew it, we were at top of descent, for what turned out to be a pretty sporty approach into TUL. In addition to some pretty good bumps, the crew was maneuvering around a lot, in addition to some fairly rapid descents.

http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i239/elementx109/IMG_1265.jpg
Full speed brakes, on approach into TUL

It's probably normal, but on landing, the 727 seems to carry a lot more power than most other planes. Of course, this could just be because the engines are considerably louder and just sound that way, I'm not sure. Landing in TUL was pretty rough. I talked to the pilots later, and it turned out that was the FO landing, who laughed and said "Yea, I'm in a landing rut right now!!" Anyhow, here's the landing in TUL:

Taxi to the gate was relatively short. Since I had never been to TUL before, I was paying close attention to the layout of the terminals, where we were parking, etc etc. As it turns out, Champion is ground-handled by Delta (ASA) in TUL. I checked my watch, and saw I had about an hour and a half until the 727 turned back out to LAS, so I decided to leave security and go check in for the flight and see if any seats were available on it.

15 November 2007
MG551, TUL-LAS
727-212/Adv, N293AS
Seat: 27F, Coach

Load Factor-
Coach: 90%

View Large View Medium

Photo © Danny Fritsche - Airplanespotters

Seeing as our plane parked at a Delta gate, I went to the Delta ticket counter outside of security. I told the agent that I was hoping to nonrev on the Champion flight back to LAS, and asked if there were any seats available. He gave me a puzzled look, and said "we can't nonrev on Champion". That came as a bit of a surprise to me, so I pulled out my paper ticket passes for the flight and handed them to him, to which again he gave a puzzled look and said "No shit?!? I didn't know these existed..." So, the CS agent still had no clue how to book me on the flight, as he didn't even think it was possible to nonrev on Champion at all. So he printed me a TSA checkpoint pass, and told me to speak to the CS supervisor at the gate.

http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i239/elementx109/IMG_1270.jpg
N293AS sitting at gate A30 in TUL

The CS supervisor at the gate was very helpful, and quickly listed me for the flight and gave me seat 27F....one row forward of my previous seat. Again, boarding went relatively quickly, and I was one of the first on board the plane.

http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i239/elementx109/IMG_1269.jpg
Cabin of N293AS, configured with ex-NWA 727 coach seats.

There was a bit of a hold-up in later boarding, so I decided to ask to see the cockpit. All the pilots were very nice and easy to make conversation with. I told them I was working on my instrument rating, and asked what all is required to get hired on as an SO at Champion. They all seemed to laugh in unison, and the captain replied "have a pilot's license and be human". Apparently, Champion seems to be hiring quite a lot right now, with minimum time required to get hired on as an SO. I'll DEFINITELY put my resume in with Champion when the time comes, I'd do anything to get to fly one of those glorious old birds!!

http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i239/elementx109/IMG_1271.jpg
Cockpit of the 727. The FO is writing down our IFR clearance to LAS.

Reluctantly, I finally went back to my seat. Before I did though, the captain jokingly asked if I'd be taking pics of his landing in LAS, to which I replied "yes, and I'll be grading you too"  Big grin

Takeoff out of TUL:

Again, the flight was relatively uneventful. It was the same cabin and cockpit crew from the flight to TUL, and again they were very nice and professional in the cabin service. One of the FA's recognized me, and asked "weren't you just on the last flight?!?!". I'm sure they don't get travelers like me too often, considering they are technically a charter airline!! For being 2.5 hours enroute, the time seemed to pass very quickly. The TUL-LAS leg was especially fun, as everyone was having a great time on board in preparation for arriving in LAS!! Champion probably made $1,000 dollars off all the alcohol onboard sales that flight, it was nuts!!

http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i239/elementx109/IMG_1276.jpg
Flaps 30 on approach into LAS

The landing in LAS was incredibly smooth...very well done!!! Now, maybe it was a combination of being a vacation group and the collective liquor intoxication working together, but I don't think I've ever personally heard people clap after a landing!!! Then, the FA made a great PA, which raised quite a bit of laughter. The landing....  Silly

As I walked off the plane, I said "great landing!!" to the captain, who just smiled and said something like "well, I was under pressure from your video camera!!"

In closing, both flights were amazing!! A fantastic airplane, and just a joy to fly with Champion. Great cabin crew, great cockpit crew, and just a great airline.

All comments appreciated!!

LASoctoberB6

RE: LAS-TUL-LAS On Champion 727's (pics/vids)

Sat Nov 17, 2007 1:38 am

I didn't know Champion moved to T2.. they used to use the A gates and B gates.. I think I have an addition to my favorite airline list! And I think this is my favorite TR.... I'm glad MG still flies the 727. Brightens my day when I see them here!
[NOT IN SERVICE] {WEStJet}

MSYtristar

Sat Nov 17, 2007 1:39 am

Now THAT is what I call a trip report! Man I miss the 727's. Give me a flight in Coach on a 727 over a First Class flight on an A380 any day of the week.

Long live the three holer!

tsaord

Sat Nov 17, 2007 3:21 am

Nice report!! I forgot that airline was still flying. Interesting.

My favorite place in the USA!! Vegas!! I'll be arriving there via WN Dec. 30th!!

Planet Hollywood here I come!!

[Edited 2007-11-16 19:23:21]
there are icons, then there are legends, then there is rick flair

ilikeflight

Sat Nov 17, 2007 3:22 am

Quoting MSYtristar (Reply 2):
Now THAT is what I call a trip report! Man I miss the 727's. Give me a flight in Coach on a 727 over a First Class flight on an A380 any day of the week.

I second that!!!!! domestic on a 727 international on a L1011

Long live the three holer!

Think Different

mke717spotter

Sat Nov 17, 2007 4:31 am

Very good trip report and pictures!!! I've always wanted to fly on the 727, but I've never gotten a chance to and I'm not too sure if I will. I remember when NW and Sun Country would send their 727s to MKE, its to bad there aren't many of em around anymore.
Will you watch the Cleveland Browns and the Detroit Lions on Sunday? Only if coach Eric Mangini resigned after a loss.

LASoctoberB6

Sat Nov 17, 2007 4:49 am

Quoting Mke717spotter (Reply 5):
Sun Country would send their 727s

I remember seeing the 727 and DC10 come back to back here. At the time, I didn't know what I was missing, but now I know and it's saddening. But thank goodness for MG!!

kstatepilot

Sat Nov 17, 2007 5:28 am

Great TR, nice to see a classic airplane still flying around

PlaneHunter

Sat Nov 17, 2007 5:38 am

Quoting Transpac787 (Thread starter):
In closing, both flights were amazing!! A fantastic airplane, and just a joy to fly with Champion. Great cabin crew, great cockpit crew, and just a great airline.

...and followed by a fantastic trip report, well writen and with great pictures. I really need to go to Vegas soon again.

Champion probably made $1,000 dollars off all the alcohol onboard sales that flight, it was nuts!!

...somehow negatively affecting the air quality in the cabin I guess.  Wink

That came as a bit of a surprise to me, so I pulled out my paper ticket passes for the flight and handed them to him, to which again he gave a puzzled look and said "No shit?!?

Now, maybe it was a combination of being a vacation group and the collective liquor intoxication working together, but I don't think I've ever personally heard people clap after a landing!!!

bigthumbsup 

What I noticed in your pictures is the spotless wing - not bad for a 31 years old plane! Btw - just found out it has had an eventful life, former operators were Singapore Airlines (9V-SGB), VASP (PP-SMK), Alaska Airlines (N293AS), Express One Int'l, AvAtlantic (temp. operated for Bob Dole) and Sterling One (wet-lease).

PH
Nothing's worse than flying the same reg twice!

DALCE

Sat Nov 17, 2007 11:41 am

What a great report!

You really made a fantastic trip on the matured 727! Great pics/vids aswell
Thanks for sharing!

Brgds,
DALCE
flown: F50,F70,CR1,CR2,CR9,223,E75,E90,143,AR8,AR1,733,735,736,73G,738,
753,763,744,77W,788,319,320,321,333,AB6.

777fan

Sat Nov 17, 2007 3:26 pm

Awesome report. The landing in LAS was probably the smoothest I've ever seen on a TR. I, too, miss the 727; my last flight was also a charter (Laker Air) from BWI to FPT for New Year's 2002. The only things I can remember from both of those flights was the incredibly slow climb rate out of BWI, and the smoothest landing I've ever experienced in FPT.

777fan
DC-8 61/63/71 DC-9-30/50 MD-80/82/83 DC-10-10/30 MD-11 717 721/2 732/3/4/5/G/8/9 741/2/4 752 762/3 777 A306/319/20/33 AT

Transpac787
Topic Author

Sat Nov 17, 2007 5:08 pm

Give me a flight in Coach on a 727 over a First Class flight on an A380 any day of the week.

From your TR's, it seems you're in First Class quite often too, haha.  Smile

If you have any way to get out to LAS for a relative good price, there are often some last-minute deals on Champion flights. I've seen some of their fares go as low as $100...not too bad!!

Quoting PlaneHunter (Reply 8):
former operators were Singapore Airlines (9V-SGB), VASP (PP-SMK), Alaska Airlines (N293AS), Express One Int'l, AvAtlantic (temp. operated for Bob Dole) and Sterling One (wet-lease).

Man, I was looking all over to find the history on that specifc plane, and was coming up empty-handed. Thanks for posting that!!

Quoting 777fan (Reply 10):
The landing in LAS was probably the smoothest I've ever seen on a TR

I've heard from some ex-727 pilots that the three-holer was simultaneously the easiest and hardest plane to land that they've ever flown!!  Big grin

Thanks to everyone for the comments!!

AA767LOVER

Sat Nov 17, 2007 5:15 pm

Wow, the flaps on the 3-holer are huge!
Great TR! I liked the pics. It also piqued my curiosity about what Champion Air was about, and how to even book it. How much did your flight cost? Hopefully CS is not very expensive.

Keep up the good work!

B747forever, this a Neeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeew post. Mark it. Not bringing up an old one.
J.I. Tsui, American Advantage Member, United Mileage Plus (Premier)

MSYtristar

Sat Nov 17, 2007 5:39 pm

Quoting Transpac787 (Reply 11):
From your TR's, it seems you're in First Class quite often too, haha

Well, mostly with nonrev upgrades back in the day...but even so, I still stand by my statement, although I need to add the L1011 in there...best two a/c ever made, imo.  Wink

Rcardinale

Sat Nov 17, 2007 6:38 pm

Excellent trip report! had a great time reading your comments and watching the movies

mirrodie

Sun Nov 18, 2007 3:01 am

HEy, that was a nice trip report, with some nice pics and video! I may have to give them a try one day!
Forum moderator 2001-2010; He's a pedantic, pontificating, pretentious bastard, a belligerent old fart, a worthless st

B747forever

Sun Nov 18, 2007 10:00 am

Really nice TR.

The pics are really good and I loved the videos.

I would love to get a ride on the 727, before they all is out of service.

Quoting AA767LOVER (Reply 12):
B747forever, this a Neeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeew post. Mark it. Not bringing up an old one.

:D

Thank you for sharing.

B747forever.
Work Hard, Fly Right

ALexeu

Sun Nov 18, 2007 2:03 pm

Great trip report and nice bird !

Why are there charter demands beatween LAS and TUL ? Is it possible to book a flight?

OA260

Sun Nov 18, 2007 2:55 pm

Very nice TR. Nice to see older AC still around. My last time on a 727 was on JAT from LHR-BEG years ago. I remember it using nearly all the runway at LHR. Was a cool flight. Nice to know some airlines in the USA still have them. Do any others offer regular 727 services???

Agree with you about the L1011. I always loved my flights on those A/C.

Thanks for sharing

OA260

Transpac787
Topic Author

Sun Nov 18, 2007 6:40 pm

Wow, the flaps on the 3-holer are huge!

One of the things that made it so beautiful!!!

To my knowledge though, the 727 is the only narrowbody to ever have the inboard ailerons, thus giving it the two flaps per wing. Like I said though, I think that is one of the coolest looks about the plane!!

It also piqued my curiosity about what Champion Air was about, and how to even book it. How much did your flight cost? Hopefully CS is not very expensive.

Champion Air is a charter for a bunch of different parties. They do all coach (Y173) charters for WorryFreeVacations, which is what all their flights out of LAS and Mexico are run for. They also do a bunch of charters for sports teams (F56), only baseball and basketball though... football teams seem to charter the legacies. Champion has even done some "ConAir" charters:

View Large View Medium

Photo © Royal S King

Quoting MSYtristar (Reply 13):
but even so, I still stand by my statement, although I need to add the L1011 in there

I would definitely agree with you about the 727, but I was never on an L-1011, so I'll just have to take you at your word!!  cry 

Quoting AlexEU (Reply 17):
Why are there charter demands beatween LAS and TUL ? Is it possible to book a flight?

All tickets sold for Champions LAS and Mexico flights are done through www.worryfreevacations.com which apparently has enough business to consistently fill up 727's and pay for those ridiculous fuel bills!!  Big grin

If you want to book a flight on them, just go to that above website. To see their route-map and timetables, check this website: http://www.championair.com/plan.asp

Most of their flights are only run 1x-2x weekly, and sometimes 3x weekly during peak season.

Quoting OA260 (Reply 18):
Do any others offer regular 727 services???

As far as I know, Champion is the last "regular" 727 operator. PanAm (Boston-Maine Airways) still operates the 727's, but a.net's collective opinion doesn't hold them in very high esteem....that is, not very reliable flight schedules, etc.

Thanks to everyone for the comments!!

ALexeu

Sun Nov 18, 2007 8:05 pm

Quoting Transpac787 (Reply 19):
All tickets sold for Champions LAS and Mexico flights are done through www.worryfreevacations.com which apparently has enough business to consistently fill up 727's and pay for those ridiculous fuel bills!!

If you want to book a flight on them, just go to that above website. To see their route-map and timetables, check this website: http://www.championair.com/plan

But why to TUL? It doesn't seem like a tourist destination?

Transpac787
Topic Author

Sun Nov 18, 2007 8:20 pm

Quoting AlexEU (Reply 20):
But why to TUL? It doesn't seem like a tourist destination?

Other way around......LAS is a huge tourist destination. Everyone flying LAS-TUL is returning from their vacation, TUL-LAS is everyone just begining their vacation.

MEA-707

Sun Nov 18, 2007 10:04 pm

Champion is the last "regular" 727 operator.

It might be the last American operator, but First Air (Canada), Santa Barbara (Venezuela), TAME and Aerogal (Ecuador), Aerosur (Bolivia), Hewa Bora (Congo), Nationwide and Inter-Air (South Africa), Chanchangi (Nigeria), Iran Air and Iran Aseman, Libyan Arab and Buraq, Syrianair and Ariana Afghan also still fly regular passenger flights with 727s.
nobody has ever died from hard work, but why take the risk?

KingAirMan

Sun Nov 18, 2007 11:29 pm

how much did you pay for your journey?

rleiro

Mon Nov 19, 2007 12:15 am

Amazing trip report. it is good to know that there are operators still flying the 727, long live to the three holer!

Quote:
It might be the last American operator, but First Air (Canada), Santa Barbara (Venezuela), TAME and Aerogal (Ecuador), Aerosur (Bolivia), Hewa Bora (Congo), Nationwide and Inter-Air (South Africa), Chanchangi (Nigeria), Iran Air and Iran Aseman, Libyan Arab and Buraq, Syrianair and Ariana Afghan also still fly regular passenger flights with 727s.

Unfortunately Santa Barbara Airlines replaced its 727 for a 757-200 for its flights to Ecuador.

Saludos,

Roberto.
A proud SVZM Spotter!

Transpac787
Topic Author

Mon Nov 19, 2007 8:30 am

Quoting MEA-707 (Reply 22):
It might be the last American operator

Yea, the person I was replying to was specific about USA operators. See here:

Quoting OA260 (Reply 18):
Nice to know some airlines in the USA still have them. Do any others offer regular 727 services???

Moving on now!!

Quoting KingAirMan (Reply 23):

Didn't your mother ever teach you it was impolite to ask questions about money?!?  Wink

I nonrevved the whole thing though, on both WN and on Champion, so it was a relatively inexpensive day.  Smile

airbuseric

Mon Nov 19, 2007 10:51 am

Great report! How can't holidays in a better way then flying on 727's! It's hard to get on nowadays, probably I've to do it with your videos Big grin I enjoyed reading it, thanks!
"The whole world steps aside for the man who knows where he is going"

KingAirMan

Mon Nov 19, 2007 2:02 pm

Quoting Transpac787 (Reply 25):
Quoting KingAirMan (Reply 23):

Didn't your mother ever teach you it was impolite to ask questions about money?!?  

I nonrevved the whole thing though, on both WN and on Champion, so it was a relatively inexpensive day.  

Excuse me if that came off wrong! I was just trying to figure out how much a trip like this on champion would cost, last 727 I flew was Allegro from IAH to Punta Cana about 5 years ago. Wouldnt mind getting a reservation on champion through a charter flight if possible !

ALexeu

Mon Nov 19, 2007 2:33 pm

It might be the last American operator, but First Air (Canada), Santa Barbara (Venezuela), TAME and Aerogal (Ecuador), Aerosur (Bolivia), Hewa Bora (Congo), Nationwide and Inter-Air (South Africa), Chanchangi (Nigeria), Iran Air and Iran Aseman, Libyan Arab and Buraq, Syrianair and Ariana Afghan also still fly regular passenger flights with 727s.[/quote]

I think that Trans Air Congo (R. Congo-Brazzaville) also flies 727 regulary.

How many regular 721 operators?

UK_Dispatcher

Mon Nov 19, 2007 6:04 pm

Great report. I always like to see a report involving the B727 - a true classic. Many thanks.

Quoting AlexEU (Reply 28):
How many regular 721 operators?

As far as I know, there are now no PAX B721 operators.

rleiro

Tue Nov 20, 2007 10:22 am

Lloyd Aereo Boliviano had a the last 727-100 operating by the time they ceased operations.  Sad

Saludos,

Roberto.
A proud SVZM Spotter!

ALexeu

Tue Nov 20, 2007 2:44 pm

Quoting Rleiro (Reply 30):
Lloyd Aereo Boliviano had a the last 727-100 operating by the time they ceased operations.

What about First Air (canada) and Trans Air Congo?

rleiro

Tue Nov 20, 2007 6:33 pm

Quote:
What about First Air (Canada) and Trans Air Congo?

I'm very sure that First Air retired its 727's (the last in use was a -200 AFAIK), and the one from Trans Air Congo is unknown to me.

Regards,

Roberto.
A proud SVZM Spotter!

TrijetsRMissed

Thu Nov 22, 2007 7:09 am

A very unqiue trip report featuring the classic tri-jet. Thanks for a sharing, it was a great read. Someday I too will do a similar trip to get a final 727 fix.

Did the crew really not care at all that you used a camera throughout the flight? (being that it's an electronic device)
There's nothing quite like a trijet.

NWOrientDC10

Sun Nov 25, 2007 5:52 am

Now THAT is what I call a trip report!

Agreed, well done. There is one thing, though. Was there a meal service? If so was it complimentary or did the meal have to be purchased?

Man I miss the 727's.

So do I. I guess something is never really appreciated until it's gone.

Quoting Ilikeflight (Reply 4):
I second that!!!!! domestic on a 727 international on a L1011

I'll take a domestic 72S flight and international on a DC-10  Wink

Quoting LASOctoberB6 (Reply 6):
I remember seeing the 727 and DC10 come back to back here. At the time, I didn't know what I was missing, but now I know and it's saddening.

Again, it's not until something is gone that it's appreciated.

Quoting Mke717spotter (Reply 5):
I remember when NW and Sun Country would send their 727s to MKE, its to bad there aren't many of em around anymore.

NW had 747 flights to MSP and JFK from MKE as well.

http://www.departedflights.com/NW121874p17.html

Quoting B747forever (Reply 16):
The pics are really good and I loved the videos.

checkmark 

Quoting AlexEU (Reply 17):

Here's the web site with the schedules. In a sense, maybe Champion Air can be considered a scheduled carrier; a charter carrier with a regular schedule.

http://www.championair.com/plan.asp

To my knowledge though, the 727 is the only narrowbody to ever have the inboard ailerons, thus giving it the two flaps per wing. Like I said though, I think that is one of the coolest looks about the plane!!

I liked the wing images presented here. The 727 has a wing like no other.

Quoting Rleiro (Reply 24):
long live to the three holer!

checkmark 

Quoting MEA-707 (Reply 22):
It might be the last American operator

I think Pan Am III still operates 727-200's.

Great trip report. However, if there was a meal service, please describe it. Inquiring minds want to know.

Good Day  Smile

Russell
Things aren't always as they seem

law4fun

Sun Nov 25, 2007 7:56 am

No meal service. Flew the r/t from TUL-LAS-TUL in late August. Only thing served is beverages and buy on board chips, nuts and cookies. I think the air portion of our trip was $179 per person r/t. Champion flight crews were fun, especially on the TUL-LAS segment. They were a little up tight on the return to TUL. Lots of inexpensive fun and great to ride on a classic three-holer.
Canon Shutter Slut

HowSwedeitis

Sun Nov 25, 2007 10:48 am

My goodness what a looooong takeoff that was!! Those 'ol 727's are like relic-beasts in the skies! Great trip report. A+

-HSII
Heja Sverige!!

Aleksandar

Sun Nov 25, 2007 12:05 pm

Wooow, what a flight and what a plane!!!!! It reminded me of my flights on 727s and how much I miss them. Great TR!
R-E-S-P-E-C-T

nicholaschee

Sun Nov 25, 2007 12:09 pm

Great trip report! Always wanted to fly on board a 727 but never had the chance.

Transpac787
Topic Author

Sun Nov 25, 2007 8:46 pm

Quoting TrijetsRMissed (Reply 33):
Did the crew really not care at all that you used a camera throughout the flight? (being that it's an electronic device)

No, not at all. The only time I've ever been given hell for having a camera out was on NW DTW-CDG in World Business Class. In midflight I took a couple pictures of the cabin, and one of the French interpreter FA's informed me "Monsieur, photography is not permitted...."  Big grin

Quoting NWOrientDC10 (Reply 34):
Agreed, well done. There is one thing, though. Was there a meal service? If so was it complimentary or did the meal have to be purchased?

No meal service, but Champion has quite the extensive buy-on-board service, which they do several times throughout the flight. The FA's start out by doing the complimentary drinks, then go through the aisle with the alcohol and BOB food, which again, they'll do several times. Especially on the segment to LAS, alcohol sales were ridiculous. Beer, mixed drinks, margaritas....everything!!

I'll take a domestic 72S flight and international on a DC-10

The DeathCruiser?!?! I did enjoy my one flight on it last year HNL-MSP on NW, but I've never been on an L-1011, so I'd probably prefer to get one flight on those.....which will probably never happen, but one can always hope!!

Quoting HowSwedeitis (Reply 36):
My goodness what a looooong takeoff that was!! Those 'ol 727's are like relic-beasts in the skies! Great trip report. A+

Thanks, and yes it was a really long takeoff. I took all the videos with my little pocket digital camera, and it has a limit of like 2 minutes for videos, which I was beginning to worry I'd get close to on some of those vids!!

LASoctoberB6

Sun Nov 25, 2007 9:30 pm

Again, it's not until something is gone that it's appreciated.

I was younger and didn't know what I know now.

NWOrientDC10

Sun Nov 25, 2007 9:41 pm

Quoting Transpac787 (Reply 39):
The DeathCruiser?!?!

Death Cruiser? "Them's fightin' words"  mischievous 

Quoting Transpac787 (Reply 39):
I've never been on an L-1011, so I'd probably prefer to get one flight on those.....which will probably never happen, but one can always hope!!

Seriously, the L-1011 is a fine aircraft, IMHO. ATA still operates them.

http://www.ata.com/about_ata/company_information/facts.html

Again, thx for the trip roprt  Smile

Good Day  Smile

Russell
Things aren't always as they seem