PanAm747
Topic Author

Thanksgiving Day/Weekend Flying - XJet SAN-BFL-SAN

Tue Nov 27, 2007 2:59 am

Ironically, this was not only my first time flying on the actual day of Thanksgiving, but it was my first almost stress-free Thanksgiving in more than a decade. Long story to most of it, but a large percentage of it was the stress of trying to time it right to drive from San Diego to Bakersfield without killing myself in the process.

So this year I was VERY excited to be flying ExpressJet's Heaven-sent daily RJ from SAN to BFL. It comes down to almost the same price as driving given the cost of gas and mileage...and time...and stress...sincerely, they are at the top of my list of things I am very grateful for - it has really helped me maintain good links with my family and has allowed me to be very stress free while up in Bakersfield.

This turned out to be as pleasant a trip as my last round-trip with them:

https://www.airliners.net/discussions/trip_reports/read.main/105392/

OUTBOUND: Thursday, November 22, 2007
ExpressJet Airlines Flight #445
N11544
EMB-145XR
Seat 5A

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Dan Jordan

I had tracked this flight for each day of the preceding week, and noticed that this flight seemed to be running 30-60 minutes late every day, but today the incoming plane arrived from Monterey was right on time, so we boarded right on time. We got closed up and headed right out, and took off very close to our scheduled 12:05 PM.

Ironically, again, I couldn't tell you if we were on time - the battery in my watch had died the night before! I had to wait until Friday to get it replaced.

The actual food "snack" seems to have gone the way of the Edsel, but on a 42 minute flight, no one is going to starve. But as for "libations", your first glass of wine was free, the second $3. Nice enjoying a bottle of Chardonnay (Chameleon vineyards of California, btw) at 20,000. Thanks, XJet.

Arrival was fine, and for the first time in ages, my bag was the almost the first off the belt!

Please check out my pictures of the new Bakersfield airport terminal - it is a stunning facility that was done very well, with LOTS of room for expansion. It makes a good first impression!

INBOUND: Saturday, November 24, 2007
ExpressJet Flight #446
N13550
EMB-145XR
Seat 5A

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Michael Mantoudis

XJet personnel at Bakersfield are getting REALLY good at their turn-arounds!! This last summer, my flight to San Diego was running an hour late - but with a light load of maybe a dozen people, I thought that time would be made up at the turn-around, but the scheduled layover time was precisely timed to EXACTLY what was scheduled. In hindsight, it probably meant they were doing EVERYTHING by the book, so being double-checked is probably good at that stage.

But today, the incoming flight was seven minutes late - but with a load of 50 people today we still were able to push back early!! Damned impressive - ALL y'all are getting REALLY good and your customers are noticing!!

I could see the Malibu fires off the right side of the plane - even though I was on the left - the smoke was that bad.

Once again, free wine  champagne , and I tried the Cabernet Sauvignon - once again from Chameleon vineyards - and it was quite good. Coming into the Commuter Terminal is the easiest thing to deal with at an already easy airport to navigate - my bag was there two minutes after I got in. Being closest to the city also makes it the easiest to get home from as well - my friends that take me know that's going to be where I will be dealing with for the forseeable future.

XJet, thank you again for a delightful trip up and back - may all your flights run as smoothly and efficiently!!
Pan Am:The World's Most Experienced Airline - P(oor) S(ailor's) A(irline): San Diego's Hometown Airline-Catch Our Smile!

Osprey88

RE: Thanksgiving Day/Weekend Flying - XJet SAN-BFL-SAN

Tue Nov 27, 2007 4:15 am

Quoting PanAm747 (Thread starter):
I had tracked this flight for each day of the preceding week, and noticed that this flight seemed to be running 30-60 minutes late every day, but today the incoming plane arrived from Monterey was right on time

Ah yes, that might just be the fog problem at MRY.  Wink

Nice TR, sounds like the load on your BFL-SAN flight was good, but what was the load like on your SAN-BFL flight?
Also what are the loads like on BFL-SMF, and how is that route doing overall?
"Reading departure signs in some big airports reminds me of the places I've been"

B747forever

Tue Nov 27, 2007 6:14 pm

Nice TR.

Seems that you enjoyed your flight.

Quoting PanAm747 (Thread starter):
could see the Malibu fires off the right side of the plane - even though I was on the left - the smoke was that bad.

That had to be really amazing to see. Little scary, maybe???

Thank you for sharing.

B747forever.
Work Hard, Fly Right

EXAAUADL

Wed Nov 28, 2007 6:54 pm

Since this is struggling Xjet, can you tell us how many pax where on each of your flights?

PanAm747
Topic Author

Thu Nov 29, 2007 9:19 pm

Quote:
Nice TR, sounds like the load on your BFL-SAN flight was good, but what was the load like on your SAN-BFL flight?

Quote:
Since this is struggling Xjet, can you tell us how many pax where on each of your flights?

SAN-BFL on Thanksgiving day was completely full. All 50 seats occupied. BFL-SAN was not completely full, but was pretty close - somewhere between 40-45.

Quote:
Also what are the loads like on BFL-SMF, and how is that route doing overall?

As for the SMF flight, I inquired about that in BFL, and the XJet employees (who are GREAT but are not used to travellers asking about "yields" and "loads" and the like) said that it seemed to be doing very well - a LOT of business travellers going to meetings in Sacramento and returning in the evening.

Quote:
That had to be really amazing to see. Little scary, maybe???

Anytime you can see evidence of a massive fire from the OPPOSITE side of the plane, it is a big "disconcerting", to say the least.
Pan Am:The World's Most Experienced Airline - P(oor) S(ailor's) A(irline): San Diego's Hometown Airline-Catch Our Smile!