Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

pilot320
Topic Author

Croatia Domestic: ZAG-PUY In Shaking ATR (+pics)

Sat Jan 05, 2008 5:23 pm

Hello dear A. netters,

At the beginning of 2008. aI would just like to wish you everything the best and may all your dreams come true... 

Believe it or not, the decision to go flying was made the night before the trip. Because my boyfriend lives in Pula, I decided to take an early bus from Rijeka to Zagreb, and after a cup of coffee with a friend, take the flight to Pula.  

Winter wonderland in Gorski kotar county, on A6 highway between Rijeka and Zagreb.

I arrived at Pleso airport at 11:30. Soon after arrival I went to Croatia Airlines’ counter to buy one-way ticket to Pula, which with all taxes included and TSC cost me few cents less than 40 €.
As the price of the ticket was relatively low before the flight, I expected light load.

Check-in area

‘Cause departure for my flight was in one hour , as soon as I bought the ticket, I made check-in at the desk for economy class which was still open for all Croatia Airlines’ and Star Alliance’s flights.
Agent checked me in the matter of minute. I got seat 8D which was next to the window…

Christmas tree in the waiting lounge in front of domestic departures

Before the security screening had begun, I called my dad and asked him what the weather in Rijeka was. In Zagreb it was very cloudy and the sky was grey, so I wanted to know what the weather will be like during my flight over Rijeka in ATR. My dad said that it was sunny but with wind blowing…

Security control for domestic departures

OU 634 is circle flight Zagreb-Pula-Zadar-Zagreb

My boarding pass

While I was waiting for the boarding to begin, I took some pictures of airplanes that were at the apron…

Germanwings A319 bound to Dortmund...

...and Stuttgart.

Mad-Dog resting in dull weather and lack of charters

Air France CRJ 700 just arrived from Roissy

Boarding began at 12:25. There was no rush, only 14 passengers on today’s flight to Pula and Zadar. We were taken by the bus to our ATR.

Adria Airways Cargo’s Fokker 27 Friendship is managing cargo flights on the line Ljubljana-Zagreb-Sarajevo

A320 “Split” preparing for flight OU 492 to Split and London.

Boarding for flight AF 1255 to Paris.

Charter from Aswan, Egypt

GWI’s A319 in Park Inn colours taxiing to parking position after flight from CGN.

Another Croatia’s ATR

ZAG-PUY
Flight No.: OU 634 Date: 2 JAN 08
A/C: ATR 42-300 Reg No.: 9A-CTS “Istra”
STD: 1240 ATD: 1247
STA: 1325 ATA: 1330
Flight time: 35min
Gate: 05
Seat: 8D
Load factor: 14/48 (29,17 %)

My 3rd ride on ATR 42, and 1st on this same machine.

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Thomas Ernst - Aviation Arts
View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Gert Rosmann

Delivered new to Croatia Airlines: 16/06/1993

At the entrance on the plane we were welcomed by a flight attendant, a lovely woman in her early 40s.
I greeted her and went to my 8D seat.
Each passenger had a daily newspaper on disposal, but I didn’t take it.

I put my jacket and my bag in the overhead bin, I only took my camera.
When I sat down, I saw that the camera glass was really dirty.
“Photos would stink”, I thought.

Seat pitch was very sufficient, consider I’m 6’13’’

After the last passenger boarded, the door shut, engines started and our flight attendant made safety instructions in Croatian and in English.

SunAdria’s F100

Lufthansa CRJ 200 to MUC

The plane came to runway 05 without stopping and took off…

Winter edition of inflight magazine

Overcast weather

When ‘fasten your seatbelts’ sign went off, we were offered with a traditional cookie paprenjak and water.

The first officer came over PA and gave us basic information about the flight: “Dear passengers, I would like to wish you a good day. Here is the first officer speaking (I didn’t catch his name). In the name of the whole crew I salute you on our flight to Pula. We are flying at 5000 meters with a speed of 400km/h. External temperature is -15°C and in Pula it will be 5°C. Again I would like to, in behalf of the crew, Croatia Airlines and Star Alliance, thank you for flying with us and I hope to see you again in our planes.”

Soon after he finished his story, plane got into turbulences and we started shaking. Shaking was caused by wind bura which makes serious traffic problems on Adriatic during winter…
We were shaken hard couple of times and the boy behind me started to cry.   ATR is a little plane.  

Yay, there are no more clouds

My home airport on Krk Island

My lovely home town Rijeka

Rasa Bay

Village on turning downwind.

City of Pula is only 7 km away from airport.

Touchdown!

Mad-Dog of liquidated croatian airline Air Adriatic.

My plane after disembark.

9 passengers disembarked in Pula, while 5 others were headed down to Zadar. In the building, 10 other passengers waited load to begin to Zadar and Zagreb.

Lavander in the airport corridor

Another interesting detail here.

Hall for passport control... Here is completely empty, but during summer when Boeing 747 lands with 450 Russians, it’s like a can with sardines.

Baggage belts

Empty departure hall

Parking in front airport building

I hope you liked my trip report. Your critics, praises and questions are always welcome.   

Greetings from Croatia, Sanjin   

[Edited 2008-01-05 09:25:10]

[Edited 2008-01-05 09:28:26]

ALexeu

RE: Croatia Domestic: ZAG-PUY In Shaking ATR (+pics)

Sat Jan 05, 2008 5:50 pm

Great t/r ! Nice to see t/r from Croatia !

It seems like load was not high, probably because a lot of people use new highways.
Why did you have to use domestic terminal in PUY? Is there any domestic terminal?

cheers

FLIEGER67

Sat Jan 05, 2008 6:02 pm

Hello, Sanjin,

also best wishes for 2008.

Thanx for posting this story.

Croatia is not that much covered here during winter-time, an interesting and good read.

So, we know a bit more about Zagreb/Pula and Croatia Airlines.

If nothing goes wrong I will do a trip to your country in May,

a domestic ride on Croatia Zagreb/Dubrovnik included.

A shame that Tuifly cancelled some Rijeka routes in 2008, so not that much opinions now

for a Krk visit.

Best regards,
Markus (FLIEGER67)
Tripreporter.net

bananaboy

Sat Jan 05, 2008 6:05 pm

Agree with the above poster... great to see a report from Croatia, and even better to see PUY as I have a soft spot for the place...

Quoting AlexEU (Reply 1):
Why did you have to use domestic terminal in PUY? Is there any domestic terminal?

As a recall, at PUY, Domestic departing passengers are processed at the far right end of the terminal.

As for arrivals, as per the photo of the immigration control area, it looks as if you came through international arrivals. I can't remember if there is even a domestic arrivals area - keeping both segregated on a busy day in summer could be problematic.

Mark
All my life, I've been kissing, your top lip 'cause your bottom one's missing

OA260

Sat Jan 05, 2008 7:52 pm

Hey there really nice to see a OU Trip report. Very nice photos. I have never flown OU but would love to maybe on the A320 .

Thanks for sharing

OA260

B747forever

Sat Jan 05, 2008 8:14 pm

Really nice TR

The pics are also really good and nice.

Quoting Pilot320 (Thread starter):
STD: 1240 ATD: 1247
STA: 1325 ATA: 1330

Like that green dots!!

Thank you for sharing

B747forever
Work Hard, Fly Right

Stretch 8

Sun Jan 06, 2008 4:36 am

Dobro Dosli! Excellent report and photos.

I have made about a half-dozen trips to Croatia in the last few years, mostly into Zagreb, Split and Dubrovnik on OU, LH and BA. I like the new terminal at DBV, is not Pleso due for a re-build?

Vleca Hvala!
Maggs swings, it's a drive deep to left! The Tigers are going to the World Series!!!

Continental

Sun Jan 06, 2008 6:16 am

Cool report! I've never seen snow in Croatia as I always visit my relatives (Cres and Losinj) during the summer months.

I've heard all about that bura. My father always talks about it!

HowSwedeitis

Sun Jan 06, 2008 8:23 am

Great trip report from the beautiful nation of Croatia Sanjin!! I can't wait to see this great land. Keep traveling & keep posting!

"Dok je srca, bit će i Kroacije!!"
Heja Sverige!!

RICARIZA

Sun Jan 06, 2008 3:16 pm

Nice pictures. I like to see TRs from new places (to me)... thank you for sharing!!
I miss ACES, I am proud of AVIANCA & I am loyal to AMERICAN

Contact Air

Sun Jan 06, 2008 8:57 pm

Hi Sanjin,

great report and lots of fantastic pics.Thanks for posting - I enjoyed reading.

Regards
Christoph

johruk

Mon Jan 07, 2008 1:13 pm

Great Trip Report! This brings back memories for me as I did the same trip 10+ years ago...However I had the delight of flying on a Cessna (I believe) operated for OU when they first started...Just the 3 of us on that flight!

Nice to see Rasa mentioned as this is where my dad's family are from. We still have a house in Rasa! Although could not make it out on the pic!...

It is a shame that PUY is not used by more low costs i.e. Easyjet from the UK. I normally now fly in to VCE (EZY flight from BRS my local) and drive, or RJK...Bit that can be a long old drive on change over Saturday in the summer!

Thanks for sharing and bringing back some memories!

Joseph

pilot320
Topic Author

Thu Jan 10, 2008 5:53 pm

Dear everybody, thank you for your comments Big grin

Quoting FLIEGER67 (Reply 2):
If nothing goes wrong I will do a trip to your country in May,

a domestic ride on Croatia Zagreb/Dubrovnik included.

Yay, I wish you nice trip with sunny weather  Smile

Quoting FLIEGER67 (Reply 2):
A shame that Tuifly cancelled some Rijeka routes in 2008, so not that much opinions now

for a Krk visit.

AFAIK, Tuifly cancelled only Leipzig, all other destinations will be here like last summer.

If you, however, want to visit Rijeka or its surrounding, be free to contact me  Wink

Quoting B747forever (Reply 5):
Like that green dots!!

Yeah, I like them too... Big grin I caught them on official page of Belgrade airport, and got idea to put them to TRs.

FLIEGER67

Thu Jan 10, 2008 7:20 pm

Hey, Sanjin,

Quoting Pilot320 (Reply 12):
If you, however, want to visit Rijeka or its surrounding, be free to contact me

I will definitely send you a pm if I will go to Rijeka!.

According to the airports website, there are only two service´s every Tuesday, my travel day no one.
Tuifly to STR, no more LEJ
and a very expensive OU to LHR.

I´ve not checked the other days, especially Wednesday, but will do so soon.

Do you think it´s possible to connect ZAG and RJK by train, the Croatian Railways page is in Croatian language
only?.

Regards,
Markus (FLIEGER67)
Tripreporter.net

ba319-131

Thu Jan 10, 2008 7:36 pm

Nice report and photo's, many thanks, this trip made a nice change from the normal LX,SQ ones  Smile

Look forward to more reports in the future.

Regards

Mark
111 732 733 734 735 736 73G 738 739,7M8 BBJ 741 742 743 744 752 753 762 763 764 772 77L 773 77W L15 D10 D30 D40 AB3 AB6 312 313 318 319 320 20N 321 21N 332 333 342 343 345 346 359 351 388 CS1 CS3 I86 154 SSJ CRJ CR7 CR9 CRK 145 170 175 220

pilot320
Topic Author

Thu Jan 10, 2008 8:12 pm

Quoting FLIEGER67 (Reply 13):
Do you think it´s possible to connect ZAG and RJK by train, the Croatian Railways page is in Croatian language
only?

Try to go on www.hznet.hr and choose "english" on the bottom of page  Smile

Train journey lasts 3h25min at least, it's very nice scenery (a lot of rivers, hills, big altitude differences etc.)
Send me PM if you have more questions.

Quoting BA319-131 (Reply 14):
this trip made a nice change from the normal LX,SQ ones

I think so too  Wink

FLIEGER67

Thu Jan 10, 2008 8:18 pm

Hello, Sanjin,

thanx for the information.
I think I was not on the "real" Croatian railways homepage, this one is much better!.

Greetings,
Markus (FLIEGER67)
Tripreporter.net

DALCE

Fri Jan 11, 2008 10:02 am

Hi Sanjin,

Great report of a not too much covered area of Europe! You really mad some nice photo's!

Thanks for sharing!
Brgds,
Joost ( D-ALCE )
flown: F50,F70,CR1,CR2,CR9,223,E75,E90,143,AR8,AR1,733,735,736,73G,738,
753,763,744,77W,788,319,320,321,333,AB6.

Aleksandar

Wed Feb 13, 2008 9:48 pm

Zdravo Sanjin!

Thanks for another nice and informative TR. From the moment I've read the title, I had to read it and it reminded me of one of unpleasant flights I had errrr a long time ago. It was a flight from Belgrade to Pula in JAT's DC-9, in late January and the turbulence lasted for almost the whole flight. I can still remember the pain in my ears which was really bad and it was the only flight I had when I to land as soon as possible.

Anyway, I'm really glad that you shared some photos with the rest of us. It brought lots of nice memories to me. Pula is a cute little airport.

Speaking of airports, you might find it crazy, but I like good-old Pleso. It might be outdated, but I like that feel of old times there. Even some sights in Croatian sound a bit old. Speaking of signs, does Pleso still have an observation terrace?

All the best from Belgrade,
Aleksandar
R-E-S-P-E-C-T

andaman

Thu Feb 14, 2008 1:43 am

Thanks for the interesting TR, I hope your year 2008 has started well too.
Are the ATR's common in the domestic traffic in Croatia? In Finland they are back in fashion, AY's partner FinnComm, are building the fleet of 16 ATR42-500's and 72-500's. I like those new ATR's, comfy and silent.
In the early 1990's I made a package holiday trip to beautiful Opatija in Croatia, we flew HEL-PUY on Adria Airways, is it Air Adriatic nowadays?
The "Paprenjak" cookie looks very much like the Finnish "Piparkakku"  Wink
Chinese cookie in SFO: "You're doomed to a life of forever travelling abroad and to be able to afford it!"

pilot320
Topic Author

Thu Feb 14, 2008 8:21 am

Quoting Aleksandar (Reply 18):
Speaking of signs, does Pleso still have an observation terrace?

It has, but it's closed for the public (sometimes it opens for TV reports)  Sad

Quoting Andaman (Reply 19):
Adria Airways, is it Air Adriatic nowadays?

No, Adria Airways and Air Adriatic were completely separated companies; Air Adriatic was liquidated in 2006; Adria Airways currently flies as Slovenian national airline.

TUNisia

Fri Feb 15, 2008 8:43 pm

Awesome TR!!

I was very close to going to Croatia this summer, however the train/bus connections from Venice to Dubrovnik weren't good and then getting to ATH once in Croatia was another train nightmare sadly.

Liked the rare T/R.. thanks for posting  Smile
Someday the sun will shine down on me in some faraway place - Mahalia Jackson

gilesdavies

Fri Feb 15, 2008 11:32 pm

Great trip report, Pula brings back so many memories!

Is is still an airforce base as well, as like when I flew there?

I flew into Pula in 1988 on a DC9 from LTN for our family holidays when I was only 10yrs old!

The airport was quite different then, no baggage reclaim belts. The luggage was thrown threw several holes in the wall and people were clammering to get there luggage and you had to queue out on the tarmac to have the one Immigration Officer to check everyones passport.

On our flight back home to the UK, you would check your luggae in as normal, but when it came to boarding the flight everyones luggage was on carts parked by the aircraft and was your responsibility to identify your luggae and only then would it be loaded onto the aircrafts. The aircraft would not be allowed to depart until every bit of luggage had been identified!

It was then my families first holiday to the then Yugoslavia, and my parents wondered where the hell they had arrived... But they loved the country so much we came back four more times before the war broke out!

bananaboy

Mon May 05, 2008 7:12 pm

Quoting Gilesdavies (Reply 22):
Is is still an airforce base as well, as like when I flew there?

Yes there is.. located on the other side of the airfield.

Mark
All my life, I've been kissing, your top lip 'cause your bottom one's missing

Farnborough24

Thu May 08, 2008 1:58 am

Ah good stuff-I'm flying into Pula for the first time in August...my parents have a villa in Porec, and so I've been to Croatia something like 14 times in the past 3 years odd-know the area pretty well. We either fly to Trieste, Ljubliana or Rijeka, but now Ryanair have started Pula that's the obvious option. Anyway, nice to see a trip report differing from transatlantic C class.
My Saab 9000-the chav eater!