Aircraft: B777-300
Seat #: 34E
Date: 18 Jan 2008

ETD: 0830hrs
ATD: 0840hrs

To: Hong Kong, HKG (VHHH) 07L
ETA: 1215hrs
ATA: 1220hrs

Made a short trip to Hong Kong over the weekend to shop & eat.

Reached at the Terminal 3 at 6.15am. Check in was smooth at the Star Alliance Gold counters and the boarding pass was issued with no complications in less than 3 minutes. If only other airports could do the same. Cleared immigration and wandered around the Departure area.

Terminal 3 is in a world of it’s own. The design and aesthetics makes one feel calm & comfortable when travelling removing any tension. Didn’t take any photos this time round but here are some of the photos I took during the open house.

Boarding gate was B6. Seemed like a full flight to me with the constant flow of passengers clearing security. Changi Airport seems to have one of the most sensitive scanners in the world, a slight bit of metal on you and the alarm sounds.

Boarding was quick and we push back 10 minutes late and after a quick taxi to 02L we were airborne. Those RR Trent 892s are loud!

The economy section looks tired compared to the colours on the 77W and the 380s nonetheless the seats were much comfortable than those on the 744s. To my dismay, it was one of those non AVOD aircraft as I planned to take a short nap before the meal service started. Menus were distributed after take off and to my surprise I got a menu for the Singapore - Bangalore - Singapore sector rather than Singapore – Hong Kong – Singapore! The stewardess promptly changed the menu and sincerely apologised for the error. No robotic mode here but personal touch.

15 minutes after take-off we encountered heavily turbulence out of Singapore and all services were suspended. Once service resumed, breakfast was served and I chose the western option. Sorry no pictures. Was too hungry and was happily wolfing it down when I realised I forgot to take the photos. Wasn’t appetising but still miles better than combat rations.

The flight passed pretty quickly and we began our descent. The approach was very turbulent and the fog was thick! Touch down was a giant slam on the 07L and we taxied to Gate 31.

Immigration was TERRIBLE! So many counters but only 30% were manned. So much for one of the world’s best airports. Even Heathrow’s immigration seems faster during peak hours. Took almost 30 minutes of waiting before I got my passport stamped. Despite the long wait, the baggage from the flight were still not out at belt 08 adding another 10 minutes of waiting time.

Overall, another good flight on SQ. Stay tuned for my second part on the return leg!

ag92

RE: SQ Economy: B773 SIN-HKG [Pics]

Tue Jan 22, 2008 2:34 pm

Good photos of the new terminal
As a Star Gold did you use the new lounge, any improvements

Good TR

nicholaschee
Topic Author

Tue Jan 22, 2008 3:06 pm

Quoting Ag92 (Reply 1):
Good photos of the new terminal
As a Star Gold did you use the new lounge, any improvements

Good TR

Thanks. Didn't use the lounge this time as I wanted to explore Terminal 3. Did lots of window shopping. Will use the lounge the next time I fly through T3.

SInGAPORE_AIR

Tue Jan 22, 2008 3:36 pm

Great trip report and thanks for sharing! Kudos!

I too share with your distaste for immigration on arrival at HKG. Not as bad as my last experience at SFO but not befitting the expectations of a passenger at one of the world's better airports.
Anyone can fly, only the best Soar.

LO231

Tue Jan 22, 2008 4:08 pm

Quoting Singapore_Air (Reply 3):
HKG.

one of the world's better airports.

I'm shocked!!!

Did you just call that hub of an evil airline "one of the better airports"????  Smile

Good report, I miss the pictures of a meal and some outside views, though..

Best regards,
LO231
Got both LO 788 frames already, next LO E95 and 734 BRU-WAW-BRU

SInGAPORE_AIR

Tue Jan 22, 2008 4:15 pm

Quoting LO231 (Reply 4):
Did you just call that hub of an evil airline "one of the better airports"

Hong Kong is an important station in the Singapore Airlines network  Wink
Anyone can fly, only the best Soar.

abrelosojos

Tue Jan 22, 2008 4:28 pm

Thanks for the TR. I guess its me - but I find the pictures of T3 at SIN to be extremely ostentatious and over-the-top. I will reserve full judgment until I get to see it firsthand next month. Too much liberal use of gold, and way too busy.

Cheers,
A.
Live, and let live.

B747forever

Wed Jan 23, 2008 6:17 pm

Great TR

The pics are really good

The terminal looks really nice!!!

Thank you for sharing

B747forever
Work Hard, Fly Right

ba319-131

Wed Jan 23, 2008 8:04 pm

Nice report and pix, thanks.

Look forward to viewing Changi T3 myself in the future.

Regards

Mark
111 732 733 734 735 736 73G 738 739,7M8 BBJ 741 742 743 744 752 753 762 763 764 772 77L 773 77W L15 D10 D30 D40 AB3 AB6 312 313 318 319 320 20N 321 21N 332 333 342 343 345 346 359 351 388 CS1 CS3 I86 154 SSJ CRJ CR7 CR9 CRK 145 170 175 220

Munichpictures

Wed Jan 23, 2008 9:32 pm

Great TR, nice pics;
thx for sharing

regards

aznmadsci

Thu Jan 24, 2008 12:15 am

Thanks for the cool pictures of T3! I definitlely need to head back to Asia soon!  bigthumbsup 
The journey of life is not based on the accomplishments, but the experience.

nicholaschee
Topic Author

Thu Jan 24, 2008 2:27 am

Great trip report and thanks for sharing! Kudos!

I too share with your distaste for immigration on arrival at HKG. Not as bad as my last experience at SFO but not befitting the expectations of a passenger at one of the world's better airports.

Thanks. It's surprising to see that they take so long just to scan the passport, leave 2 stamps and tear off the first page of the arrival card. It would be understandable if they were doing fingerprint scanning but they are not!

Quoting Abrelosojos (Reply 6):
Thanks for the TR. I guess its me - but I find the pictures of T3 at SIN to be extremely ostentatious and over-the-top. I will reserve full judgment until I get to see it firsthand next month. Too much liberal use of gold, and way too busy.

Cheers,
A.

Thanks. The design T3 is a result of CAAS' years of experience running T1 & T2. It makes BKK look like a 20 year old airport.

Quoting B747forever (Reply 7):
Great TR

The pics are really good

The terminal looks really nice!!!

Thank you for sharing

B747forever

Thanks!

Quoting BA319-131 (Reply 8):
Nice report and pix, thanks.

Look forward to viewing Changi T3 myself in the future.

Regards

Mark

Thanks!

Quoting Munichpictures (Reply 9):
Great TR, nice pics;
thx for sharing

regards

Thanks!

Quoting AznMadSci (Reply 10):
Thanks for the cool pictures of T3! I definitlely need to head back to Asia soon! bigthumbsup

Thanks!

fca767

Thu Jan 24, 2008 6:07 am

Yes a really nice T3  Smile The arrival baggage carousel is nice with thos palm trees and plants and just in general... Smile

LO231

Thu Jan 24, 2008 2:53 pm

Quoting Singapore_Air (Reply 5):
Did you just call that hub of an evil airline "one of the better airports"

Hong Kong is an important station in the Singapore Airlines network

Ah, I see.  Wink SQ spies need to be there to see if anything goes wrong or not..
Got both LO 788 frames already, next LO E95 and 734 BRU-WAW-BRU

9vswa

Thu Jan 24, 2008 4:24 pm

Nice report, flew this route myself a couple of months ago. T3 looks rather empty in the pics, makes me wonder where's the justification in building a new terminal, though I suppose traffic will pick up eventually, especially if CAAS can convince more airlines to move over to T3.

Quoting Nicholaschee (Thread starter):
Immigration was TERRIBLE! So many counters but only 30% were manned. So much for one of the world's best airports. Even Heathrow's immigration seems faster during peak hours. Took almost 30 minutes of waiting before I got my passport stamped. Despite the long wait, the baggage from the flight were still not out at belt 08 adding another 10 minutes of waiting time.

I've been to HKG 3 times in recent years and I have mixed feelings about airport. Immigration is rather slow there, though frankly it's a problem found at any other immigration checkpoint in HK or China, at least those that I've gone through. Still I think it's pretty decent, there are worse places that come to mind. Odd that you still had to wait for your bags, surely the long walk from the gate and the time spent at immigration would have been more than enough time for the bags to come out! Must have been a real off-day for Chep Lap Kok.

Quoting Nicholaschee (Reply 11):
It would be understandable if they were doing fingerprint scanning but they are not!

Ever used the automated clearance in Changi? It's even faster than the manned counters. Since getting my biometric passport I've used only the automated clearance, fast and easy (unless you get stuck between the 2 barriers!)

Great report, thanks for sharing.

nicholaschee
Topic Author

Thu Jan 24, 2008 4:35 pm

Quoting 9VSWA (Reply 14):
Nice report, flew this route myself a couple of months ago. T3 looks rather empty in the pics, makes me wonder where's the justification in building a new terminal, though I suppose traffic will pick up eventually, especially if CAAS can convince more airlines to move over to T3.

Those shots were taken in mid Dec 2007. The terminal looks very busy now with all the travellers.

I've been to HKG 3 times in recent years and I have mixed feelings about airport. Immigration is rather slow there, though frankly it's a problem found at any other immigration checkpoint in HK or China, at least those that I've gone through. Still I think it's pretty decent, there are worse places that come to mind. Odd that you still had to wait for your bags, surely the long walk from the gate and the time spent at immigration would have been more than enough time for the bags to come out! Must have been a real off-day for Chep Lap Kok.

Shanghai Pudong's pretty fast the last 2 times I was there.

Ever used the automated clearance in Changi? It's even faster than the manned counters. Since getting my biometric passport I've used only the automated clearance, fast and easy (unless you get stuck between the 2 barriers!)

Great report, thanks for sharing.

Been using it since last year but I find the manned counters much faster when there isn't any queues. The system is still buggy at times according to the immigration officer, but works fine for me. Fingerprint scanning in NRT is terrible. The queues are horrendous.