Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

VonRichtofen
Topic Author

YYC-YOW-YYC On Westjet. Skid Off The Runway W/pics

Mon Feb 25, 2008 7:58 pm

Hey all,

This is my first trip report. I always say I'm going to make trip reports of my many flights, but never get around to do doing so. This trip however had a twist which I thought I would share. I was flying to Ottawa to visit a buddy for a few days. I usually book with AC for Aeroplan points, and more flight choices, but I missed their seat sale so I ended up booking with Westjet because they were actually quite a bit cheaper than AC in this instance (usually they're around the same).

I checked in online 24 hours before my flight to YOW so I proceded right to the baggage drop off when I arrived at YYC. Small line-up moved quickly and within a few minutes my bag was on its way to the bag room and I was headed for security. Went through security quickly and with no problems. Had about an hour before boarding so I decided to get my eat on at the small food court that is in D-wing. While eating I hear on the P/A that my flight has changed from gate 49 to 42. I made a mental note and continued to mow down on my Subway.

After eating and relaxing a bit, I noticed it was getting close to boarding time so I made my way to gate 42. D-wing was quite busy now with several flights on the ground. I found a seat near my gate took note of the tail number of my plane (#005 737-700) and then did some people watching. After about 10 mins pre-boarding for families with small children or passengers needing assistance was called, of course every idiot decides it's time to que up at the desk blocking the way for people who need to pre-board. It got so bad that the gate agent had to tell people to get out of the way (in a polite manner of course) over the P/A. A few minutes later general boarding was called and I made my way to the desk. Walked down the jetbridge and thought to myself "ahh feels good to go flying again" and was reminded about how I love the whole travel experience. Got into my seat (4F) and prepared for the fun of flying. After boarding finished I noticed the middle seat was empty and there was a nice elderly woman in the aisle. I knew it would be relaxing flight so I was happy  

Flight: WS 846 YYC-YOW
Date: Feb 17 2008
Gate: D42
Type: 737-700
Tail #: 005
Seat: 4F (window)
Sched Dept: 17:15
Actual Dept: 17:15
Sched Arr: 22:59
Actual Arr: .... will explain....
Duration: 3 hours 35 mins

After getting settled I decided to take some pics while we waited for push-back:

Regional 1 Dash-8 parked at the gate beside me:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v158/KrisB/Travel/Westjet%20Skid/Picture002.jpg

Another WS 737 just after push-back:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v158/KrisB/Travel/Westjet%20Skid/Picture003.jpg

Push-back:

After a long taxi from D-wing to the threshold of Runway 34 we were ready to roll. I took some pics of the take off roll but some came out kind of fuzzy:

Take off roll:

Take off!

View of YYC from the air (fuzzy):

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v158/KrisB/Travel/Westjet%20Skid/Picture033.jpg

And again:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v158/KrisB/Travel/Westjet%20Skid/Picture034.jpg

The farmland North East of Calgary:

Banking right to head East for YOW!

The sun set shortly after take off so I couldn't get any pics of the cruise. The flight was very smooth and relaxing and I spent my time watching "The First 48" on the Live TV screen in the seatback in front of me or simply gazing out of the window trying to figure out which town was which as we flew over Western Canada (I love when the sky is clear for night flights).

The flight had the normal soft drink and snack service and before I knew it we were starting our descent into YOW. The weather in YOW had been pretty crappy with freezing rain and snow. The descent was smooth and we touched down VERY softly. I remember thinking to myself "he greased it!" when we touched down. Right after touchdown is when things started to go a bit funky:

Thrust reversers came on only for a few seconds and then they went off. We were slowly descelerating down the runway and nobody thought anything of it. I began to wonder when I started seeing the white markers on the runway go by indicating we were approaching the threshold of the other end! But I still wasn't alarmed, thought maybe there was a high speed taxi-way at the end of the runway. It wasn't till I saw the threshold lights approaching fast did I clue in something wasn't right and in the time it took me to clue in I was already watching the threshold lights pass underneath us. We were skidding off the runway! It was a bit bumpy and snow was being tossed up around my window pretty good, we skidded sideways and came to a stop. Everybody was kind of going "whoa" to themselves and then they started laughing! Captain came on the P/A literally 2 seconds after stopping and told everybody to remain seated and for the F/A's to wait for instruction. Probably 10 seconds the flight deck called the F/A and gave him instructions. They determined there was no fire and the pilots shut down the engines after the APU was engaged. By then we could see the airport fire trucks showing up on the left hand side of the plane.

Everybody remained calm and stayed in their seats. The F/A did a great job of keeping us informed of what was going on and how that we were waiting for the snow plows to clear snow for the air stairs. I must say though that it was really just the ONE F/A doing all the work while his colleagues just sat in their seats, I'm not sure if that's procedure in such an incident? After about 90 minutes of waiting we were finally able to deplane onto to OC Transpo city busses that were waiting. I was pretty impressed at how fast they were able to get some busses that quick at that time of the night (it was well passed midnight on a Sunday night). The busses took us to the terminal where there was some media cameras etc. We were told by WS reps to call a number the next day to arrange luggage delivery. I was pretty bagged so I just took the number down and went to my buddies place.

Here's the pics that I got, they're poor quality but it's the best I could get from a point and shoot camera at night.

I took these images within seconds after stopping. The snow that was kicked up spackled the window:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v158/KrisB/Travel/Westjet%20Skid/Picture042.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v158/KrisB/Travel/Westjet%20Skid/Picture041.jpg

Some guy checking out the state of the aircraft and taking photos as well:

Paramedics are the first to board once the air stairs are up. Just to make sure everybody is OK:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v158/KrisB/Travel/Westjet%20Skid/Picture045.jpg

The next few pics I took after de-planing. You can see how the deep the snow was!!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v158/KrisB/Travel/Westjet%20Skid/Picture047.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v158/KrisB/Travel/Westjet%20Skid/Picture046.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v158/KrisB/Travel/Westjet%20Skid/Picture048.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v158/KrisB/Travel/Westjet%20Skid/Picture049.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v158/KrisB/Travel/Westjet%20Skid/Picture050.jpg

The next day I called the number and left a message with my confirmation number, my luggage tag number etc. They called me back and said if I picked up my luggage myself I'd get a $100 travel credit. My buddy and I weren't far from the airport anyway so we decided to pick up my luggage. Felt good to have deodorant again! A couple hours later somebody from Westjet HQ called me and asked me what went down, how the F/A's handled it etc. So I voiced my opinion and he then said that I was getting an addition $250 travel credit on top of the $100 I already received. So $350 future travel credit. Not bad at all.

The flight home:

Well 4 days had gone by fast and it was time to return home to YYC. I was dropped off at YOW and proceded directly to the nearest washroom as the Pizza Pizza I ate earlier had gone right through me haha. After experience tremendous relief I made my way straight to the baggage drop off as I had checked in online the day before. Everything went quickly and I had some time to admire the new McDonald-Cartier airport. I must give Ottawa kudos for doing such a great job with the new airport. It's very stylish and easy to navigate.

I made my way through security which was pretty busy with the LHR flight that was due to depart not long before mine. The line went fairly quickly though which was good. After security I made my way to a Relay store to find some Zantac 75 because my gut was still roiling from the Pizza Pizza. After taking Zantac I made my way to my gate (13) and found it packed with people because the gate beside us was the AC 767 for LHR. But I managed to find a seat and began to relax noticing that there was still no plane at our gate. Ah well.

Our plane showed up about 15 mins before we were supposed to start boarding. Another 737-700 but I couldn't get the tail number. About 10 mins after boarding time was supposed to start they announce pre-boarding. Again every idiot starts to que up by the desk getting in the way of people who really need to pre-board. General boarding was announced and as I made my way down the jetbridge I couldn't help but wonder if Westjet had another adventure in store for me haha. But I figured "what are the chances?". I took my seat (5A) and to my delight the middle seat wasn't taken again. In fact this flight had a signifigantly lighter load than my flight from YYC-YOW. Despite the late boarding we managed to push-back on time and it was a quick taxi and take off and before we knew it we were headed West!

Flight: WS 521 YOW-YYC
Date: Feb 21 2008
Gate: A13
Type: 737-700
Tail #: Unknown
Seat: 5A (window)
Sched Dept: 19:30
Actual Dept: 19:30
Sched Arr: 21:59
Actual Arr: 21:50
Duration: 3 hours 54 mins

I didn't get any pictures on this segment because it was dark the entire time.

Cruise was smooth and I proceded to do the same thing as the flight out to YOW. Watch The First 48 (love that show) and try to figure out which town was which. Again it was mostly clear I could see every town we flew near which was awesome. Mid way through the the flight, the guy sitting in the middle seat on the right hand side of row 4 (4E?) decided to move to the middle seat in my row? I'm not sure why he did this, he was sitting with his wife. But I think maybe the guy in the window seat beside wasn't feeling well so they were just trying to give him some room. If that's the case then he needed space more than I did as I was planted in my seat quite comfortably.

Descent into YYC was smooth and we came in for a nice landing on Runway 16. Arrived at the gate about 9 mins early and didn't wait long for my bag.

All in all, I can't say I'm angry at Westjet or anything, other than the mishap in YOW everything was very smooth and effecient, and the staff handled the mishap pretty well. So now I have to use up that $350 travel credit!!

I hope you enjoyed this report,

Kris

[Edited 2008-02-25 12:01:10]

[Edited 2008-02-25 12:11:34]

[Edited 2008-02-25 12:22:16]

VonRichtofen
Topic Author

RE: YYC-YOW-YYC On Westjet. Skid Off The Runway W/pics

Mon Feb 25, 2008 8:00 pm

Does anybody know why my pictures aren't showing up? Thanks.

VonRichtofen
Topic Author

Mon Feb 25, 2008 8:12 pm

Fixed!!

Enjoy the report!

Kris

United1

Mon Feb 25, 2008 9:43 pm

Great trip report!! I hope your future flights go a bit smoother though.

EWRCabincrew

Mon Feb 25, 2008 10:09 pm

Very interesting report.

Great pictures.

Thank you for sharing.

Signed

B747forever  stirthepot  Big grin

All kidding aside, fantastic report. Thank you very much for sharing your travel ordeal. As many of us travel and work in the industry, even fewer see this first hand. Your perspective, insight and photos are appreciated.

Enjoy that travel credit and fill us in on the trip report for that one.

Again, thanks!!!!

ECC

ZBBYLW

Mon Feb 25, 2008 10:16 pm

Great trip report, thats what happens when you switch from AC to WS.  duck 

In all fairness it looks like everything was handled well. Must have been interesting seeing the threshold lights come and go by you. So you mentioned the R/T came on but then went back off, I know alot of the deaceleration is not from the R/T but did they ever come back on?

WPIAeroGuy

Mon Feb 25, 2008 11:04 pm

Wow, nice report. Not something you read everyday in a trip report. Glad everyone was okay. Does anyone know what the offical cause was?

JetBlueAUS

Tue Feb 26, 2008 2:26 am

Very cool report! Not everyday you get to skid off the runway. Fantastic pictures too!

CO7e7

Tue Feb 26, 2008 4:13 am

Great report. I'm glad everything turned out OK.

Evan767

Tue Feb 26, 2008 4:39 am

A very rare and excellent report. The pictures made this one my favorite so far this year.

wilco737

Tue Feb 26, 2008 6:45 am

Hey Kris,

thanks for that report! let me say 1st: Thank god nothing happened to anybody on board and you guys are all fine!!!!!!

When I saw the pics I thought: wow, shouldnt be a runway or a taxiway underneath the airplane and not all that white snow... Looks weird! And the main gear being stucked in the snow....

Enjoy your $350 flying credit  bigthumbsup 

WILCO737 (MD11F)
 airplane 

aaden

Tue Feb 26, 2008 6:57 am

Thanks for sharing, it's not everyday you skid off the runway. I'm glas you along with everybody else is okay.

tell the truth now were you scared?

threefourthree

Tue Feb 26, 2008 10:29 am

Nice TR, don't have many TR's on problems/emergencies. Would like to see more, but with nobody hurt. Glad to see everybody was fine.

VonRichtofen
Topic Author

Tue Feb 26, 2008 6:22 pm

Thanks everybody for the kind words so far Big grin

Quoting AAden (Reply 11):
tell the truth now were you scared?

To be honest, no I wasn't scared. I'm not trying to sound all macho, but it happened so fast I was more like "did this really just happen?"

wilco737

Tue Feb 26, 2008 6:34 pm

Quoting VonRichtofen (Reply 13):
To be honest, no I wasn't scared. I'm not trying to sound all macho, but it happened so fast I was more like "did this really just happen?"

And then you sent me a text with just: I just skid off the runway! - Nothing else! I read this text after I got up and I was like :  eyepopping  I had to read it 3 times!!!!

But the good thing was: I knew he was ok, otherwise he wouldnt have been able to send me this text! Thank god!

WILCO737 (MD11F)
 airplane 

dimoko

Tue Feb 26, 2008 8:01 pm

wow, quite an experience skidding off the runway!

im glad everyone on board was safe and sound.

VonRichtofen
Topic Author

Tue Feb 26, 2008 8:58 pm

Quoting ZBBYLW (Reply 5):
So you mentioned the R/T came on but then went back off, I know alot of the deaceleration is not from the R/T but did they ever come back on?

They didn't come back on. It seemed a bit odd to me.

Tom in NO

Wed Feb 27, 2008 3:41 pm

Good report and great pics...esp of the overrun. Sounds like the crew did a great job.

Quoting VonRichtofen (Thread starter):
View of YYC from the air (fuzzy):

Looks like an L-1011 in the lower right corner of the photo, sitting in a remote parking spot.....if so, anyone know whose it is?

Tom at MSY

[Edited 2008-02-27 07:42:24]

VonRichtofen
Topic Author

Wed Feb 27, 2008 4:18 pm

Quoting Tom in NO (Reply 17):
Looks like an L-1011 in the lower right corner of the photo, sitting in a remote parking spot.....if so, anyone know whose it is?

RAF

It's quite the regular at YYC a long with VC-10's

B747forever

Wed Feb 27, 2008 4:19 pm

Great first TR

The pics are really good.

Glad that everything went well. And really glad that you got $350 in travel credit. Really usefull.

Quoting EWRCabincrew (Reply 4):

He,he. Seems that I have someone that makes the job for me.

Thank you for sharing

B747forever

airbuseric

Wed Feb 27, 2008 4:39 pm

Wow, that's a special kind of experience for sure! Good to read that everything went smoothly and nobody was hurt.

I think Westjet solved the case good. Everybody stayed calm, which proofes their professionality  Smile

ACDC8

Wed Feb 27, 2008 5:01 pm

Quoting VonRichtofen (Thread starter):
Walked down the jetbridge and thought to myself "ahh feels good to go flying again" and was reminded about how I love the whole travel experience.

One of my favourite parts of any trip ...  bigthumbsup 

Great trip report, enjoyed it.

WrenchBender

Wed Feb 27, 2008 10:44 pm

Quoting Tom in NO (Reply 17):

Quoting VonRichtofen (Reply 18):
RAF

It's quite the regular at YYC a long with VC-10's

Regular service for BATUS (British Army Training Unit Suffield) at CFB Suffield

WrenchBender

atrude777

Thu Feb 28, 2008 4:42 pm

I echo EWRCabin, great report and essential to the report session.

Not everytime you see a report like this involving an incident. Quite an exciting time, for all and certainly a story to tell in the future!! Pictures were great to look at as well.

Alex

ba319-131

Sat Mar 01, 2008 10:05 am

Nice read, makes a change from the regular TR's!

Enjoy the $350 coupon, hope to see more reports soon.

Regards

Mark

wilco737

Sat Mar 01, 2008 11:07 am

Quoting BA319-131 (Reply 24):
hope to see more reports soon.

But hopefully without skidding off the runway Big grin

WILCO737 (MD11F)
 airplane 

gosimeon

Sat Mar 01, 2008 2:11 pm

Interesting TR.

Nice to see Westjet seemed interested in what you had to say and everything was handled well. Enjoy the free trips!

FlyboyOz

Sat Mar 01, 2008 9:56 pm

Wow! that's an interesting report. I enjoy reading about incident you have ever had. What a dramatic story!!! It's really scaried, isn't it? But he said that it's not a big deal!

Yeah, i could hear my heart was beating quickly while i was reading his trip report. Phew...you're safe.