Sun Mar 09, 2008 8:50 am

AA #1622
SNA-AUS
First - 80%
Coach - 70%
Departure - 5:45 PM Actual - 5:41 PM
Arrival - 10:29 PM Actual - 10:00 PM
738 - 2h44m

Returning from NRT-LAX/SNA-AUS for work. The only good thing about his flight was I got to sleep in my own bed after being away for 8 days for work. The flight came in early to AUS. Horrible service in F cabin. I'd settle for a microwave dinner before the meal we were served. Glad I the company buys these tickets - can't imagine the other frequent flyers that spend serious money on AA domestic First. I understand a few other members on this site do love AA, but I use them enough to feel confident in this fair review.

Plane: 7/10
Check in: 10/10
Meal: 3/10
Service: 5/10
Arrival: 8/10
Overall: 5/10

The only reason I continue to use AA is the 'brand' name and my company travel department uses them. Shameful.

roseflyer

RE: AA: SNA-AUS; F Class - So Sad.

Sun Mar 09, 2008 8:59 am

I'm sorry that you had a bad experience, but could you elaborate some more about the trip? Where there some reasons other than food not being acceptable? What did you get? I've found food in AA first to be decent although I do not fly them very much.

Trip reports are only as good as you make them.
If you have never designed an airplane part before, let the real designers do the work!

fxramper
Topic Author

Sun Mar 09, 2008 9:38 am

Quoting RoseFlyer (Reply 1):
than food not being acceptable

I didn't sleep the entire NRT-LAX segment of my return. I transfered to SNA to return. Thus I ordered a whiskey coke and was given just a coke. Had a choice of ribs or pasta. I choose the pasta. Cold and Chef Boyardee quality. The purser in First was complaining to the passengers that the lav in was stopped up and smelled. They ran out of red wine and Amstel Light. The seats in F on the 738 remind me a of Greyhound bus. I've yet to socialize with a flight attendant with AA that loves their job.

Quoting RoseFlyer (Reply 1):

Trip reports are only as good as you make them.

It's a report, not a story book. When you fly as often as I do, they all seem the same.

Disclaimer: Most of you know my uncle is a Sr Captain and Check Airman with AA - For this reason alone I will continue to cheer for American.

triple7man

Sun Mar 09, 2008 12:54 pm

Quoting FXramper (Reply 2):
Disclaimer: Most of you know my uncle is a Sr Captain and Check Airman with AA - For this reason alone I will continue to cheer for American

I am an AA retiree living near Tokyo. What kind of business has you travelling to NRT?

I am also glad to know you are cheering for AA? What kind of airplane is your uncle a pilot on? 777?

Were you travelling on this flight as a non rev?
Have you kissed a 777 today?

FURUREFA

Sun Mar 09, 2008 3:00 pm

Quoting Triple7man (Reply 3):

The boarding pass above has a fare code of F, which would indicate he was flying full-fare First Class.

Matt

laca773

Sun Mar 09, 2008 3:20 pm

FXramper, I always apreciate and respect your opinion in everything you convey on here, and in other threads. It sounds like AA has become more pathetic than it already was.

Does anyone @ AA listen to letters of commendation or constructive criticism? It surely doesn't sound like anyone does as things don't seem to improve at all.

Do you report this to your corporate travel department ? It sounds like they need to know about instances such as this.
Especially with the way things are going in our lovely United States and the state of our economy, the employees @ AA should be greatful they have you and all the rest of their loyal AA customers as they (in this situation, you) contribute greatly to their paychecks. Goodness, your corportate travel office I'm sure could get a great deal with CO.

Was the catering and service on your NRT-LAX flight marginal at best? How was the cabin?

Thankyou again, FXramper.
Best,
LACA773

triple7man

Sun Mar 09, 2008 3:24 pm

Quoting FURUREFA (Reply 4):
The boarding pass above has a fare code of F, which would indicate he was flying full-fare First Class.

F is a full fare first class, but when travelling as a non rev, the boarding pass would show F. (J for business class and Y for coach appears on the boarding pass)

767driver

Sun Mar 09, 2008 3:49 pm

Wouldn't someone who's flying that much, in first class, want a FF number attached to that ticket? There could always be the possibility the company buying the ticket doesnt allow him to bank the miles.

And why is the "arrival" score an 8/10? They arrived 29 minutes early

[Edited 2008-03-09 08:53:52]

DFW13L

Sun Mar 09, 2008 4:14 pm

Quoting Triple7man (Reply 6):

F is a full fare first class, but when travelling as a non rev, the boarding pass would show F. (J for business class and Y for coach appears on the boarding pass)

Since there is no ticket number on the boarding pass, that proves it was a nonrev ticket. So he was nonreving and complaining about his free F seat. The ticket number would display with 001XXXXXX under the large ELECTRONIC.

Drew, this is not a trip report. It is a complaint. And a complaint against a (mostly) free first class ticket. I suggest you be careful advertising to the world that you were traveling for work (and you don't work for AA) while on a nonrev ticket, as that is a violation of the travel policy.

Do you really not find the 738 F seats comfortable? I think they are great. They aren't the 777 flagship suites or anything, but for domestic flying, I have no complaints against the 738.

Anyway, hope your next trip is better.
Matt

[Edited 2008-03-09 09:23:35]
See, I knew American Eagle was first class all along!

triple7man

Mon Mar 10, 2008 2:36 am

Quoting DFW13L (Reply 8):
Since there is no ticket number on the boarding pass, that proves it was a nonrev ticket. So he was nonreving and complaining about his free F seat. The ticket number would display with 001XXXXXX under the large ELECTRONIC.

AA employees travelling for work travel on confirmed space (coach) passes and they can fly first or business if seats are available. I've used these when I worked for AA. They are A passes and they get priority over D passes which are for personal travel only. D passes cannot be used for any kind of business related travel.

Do you really not find the 738 F seats comfortable? I think they are great. They aren't the 777 flagship suites or anything, but for domestic flying, I have no complaints against the 738.

The 738 is nice. It's not a 777 but I prefer it to the MD 80 simply because it has an enterntainment system which the MD80 doesn't.

And I also hope your next flight on AA is better too!

767driver

Mon Mar 10, 2008 11:55 am

Quoting Triple7man (Reply 9):
AA employees travelling for work travel on confirmed space (coach) passes and they can fly first or business if seats are available. I've used these when I worked for AA. They are A passes and they get priority over D passes which are for personal travel only. D passes cannot be used for any kind of business related travel.

Except that the original poster said his company buys his tickets, yet it is clear that he is non-reving (based on his boarding pass). There is one exception to A passes being used for personal travel, and that is when using an A9 for emergency travel. Also, a lot of management and their dependent personal travel is done at the A pass level.

ebs757

Tue Mar 11, 2008 2:20 am

Scans ticket and claims company bought it then rates each aspect of the flight with no detail whatsoever, nice

Hope your next flight with AA is better.
Viva la Vida

fxramper
Topic Author

Wed Mar 12, 2008 8:00 am

What kind of business has you travelling to NRT?

I'm a ramp operations engineer for FX.

No. Revenue ticket with corporate travel.

Quoting LACA773 (Reply 5):
Do you report this to your corporate travel department ?

No. I don't pay for the ticket; just reporting.

Quoting 767driver (Reply 7):
want a FF number attached to that ticket?

I used a edit program to completely erase it. Not the edit from paint to get rid of my last name.

I travel OFTEN on AA for work. My uncle is a Sr Int Captain, Check Airman, and FFDO on AA. Trust me, I'm the biggest AA cheerleader on this site - the domestic first is rubbish. I used JFK-LAX 14 days ago - it was okay at best.

I hope CO and DL (which I don't get to use for work) are better in F and C.  crying 

B747forever

Sun Mar 16, 2008 2:36 pm

Sad to hear that you didnt at all enjoy your trip with AA. Seems so horrible. Maybe it was just a one timer??

Quoting FXramper (Reply 12):
hope CO and DL (which I don't get to use for work) are better in F and C.

Have heard that at least CO have a great service. Dont know so much about DL.
Work Hard, Fly Right

stratosphere

Sat Mar 22, 2008 10:48 pm

Quoting FXramper (Reply 12):
I'm a ramp operations engineer for FX.

I have never heard of a ramp operations "Engineer" before. My question is why would a ramp operations anything from AUS be going to NRT on company business for FX?

co777er

Sun Mar 23, 2008 12:12 am

Quoting Stratosphere (Reply 14):
I have never heard of a ramp operations "Engineer" before. My question is why would a ramp operations anything from AUS be going to NRT on company business for FX?

It's cover for his true occupation: CIA Operative.  Big grin  shhh 

AA777-200

Tue Mar 25, 2008 10:00 pm

He traveled on a D3 buddy pass from an employee. Hmmmmmm

stratosphere

Tue Mar 25, 2008 10:28 pm

Quoting AA777-200 (Reply 16):
He traveled on a D3 buddy pass from an employee. Hmmmmmm

His uncle no doubt

davidkunzVIE

Tue Mar 25, 2008 10:33 pm

Thus I ordered a whiskey coke and was given just a coke.

How about telling them what you want again?

They ran out of red wine and Amstel Light.

Whose fault?
(And who needs Light Beer, anyway?)
DH3 DH4 CR1 CR2 CR7 CR9 F70 732 733 734 73G 738 752 762 763 772 742 743 319 320 321 333 343

September11

Wed Mar 26, 2008 2:29 am

Nice view of boarding pass. You know everyone has a "bad" flight from time to time. I do enjoy your trip report though.
Airliners.net of the Future

chiawei

Wed Mar 26, 2008 3:40 am

Well.

I am a AA EP member. But I avoid fly AA unless I really have to.

My company's prefer carrier are UA or AA. Between the two, I choose AA because it allows me to fly on AA code share with CX to HKG (which I take at least once every 2 month). Made mistake of flying AA once to Tokyo from LAX instead of taking the JL flight.

Had wonderful experience of AA attendant cursing the passenger for leaving trash on her trolley (which she left out in the open for over 3 hours after serving microwave rice bowl).

AA service blows.

AIR757200

Wed Mar 26, 2008 4:25 am

OK, this is coming from someone who has formats and ticketing in my dreams, unfortunately..  Wink

The boarding pass is printed as non-rev due to the lack of the ticket number, however, FX boarding passes come out "Not Valid Without Flight Coupon" at the bottom, since FX employees must have a paper-flight coupon when travelling on a pass on AA. FX employees are not part of the registered program.

However, any sort of REVENUE ticket, regardless of how it's booked, ALWAYS has either:

A) 001XXXXXXX
B) "Not Valid Without Flight Coupon"

..at the bottom center.

This may be a D-pass travel boarding pass.

AA777-200

Wed Mar 26, 2008 7:14 pm

It IS a D3 boarding pass. I looked it up at work the other day in the flight database.

767Lover

Fri Mar 28, 2008 10:28 pm

The ticket number would display with 001XXXXXX under the large ELECTRONIC.

I'm confused....there is a 001 number next to electronic on his boarding pass. (00111541761335)

Besides, does it really matter? The point is that first class should be special, given the normal fares being charged, and he is witnessing that on this particular flight it was not.

AA777-200

Sat Mar 29, 2008 1:38 am

What you are seeing is called the stock control number. If it had a ticket number it would of been in the space under where it says ELECTRONIC. The whole point is here that he lied about being a non rev and trying to pass it off as business travel.

LO231

Sat Mar 29, 2008 3:12 am

Quoting AA777-200 (Reply 24):
The whole point is here that he lied about being a non rev and trying to pass it off as business travel.

That's NOT THE POINT, he just reported what a F class on AA on his flight was like. So if I WERE to pay it, I know what to expect, that's all...

If he travelled for free, I don't care, he sat in F seat, he got Y- service or experience, he just reports...

Regards,
LO231
Got both LO 788 frames already, next LO E95 and 734 BRU-WAW-BRU

stratosphere

Sat Mar 29, 2008 6:32 am

Quoting LO231 (Reply 25):
That's NOT THE POINT, he just reported what a F class on AA on his flight was like

Don't get upset...This is all about a trip report which our friend FXRamper did provide and it was a good one also. I just happened to call him out on a few details thats all. I just don't really believe he travels for FDX for business. I don't think he is any kind of engineer either since I have never heard of his title of operation engineer and where he works which is AUS. I think he does work for FX but I think he is what his name says he is an FX ramper....My opinion of course. I do like his posts though..