emalad
Topic Author

EMA-EDI-EMA With BMIbaby

Fri Apr 11, 2008 1:08 pm

This is only my second trip report, and I have just managed to work out how to add pictures too. Hope you enjoy reading it.

Just got back from a very enjoyable few days with my family in Edinburgh. We flew BMIbaby from East Midlands as this is our local airport, about 20 minutes away, whereas Birmingham is about 40 minutes away. It was a very early start on Wednesday leaving our house at about 4:00am for a 4:50 check-in.

Flight: WW5191 EMA-EDI
Aircraft: G-TOYH (737)

Speedy check in at the airport and then time for a quick breakfast before getting on the plane. The flight was due to board at 6:15 ready for a 6:45 departure. Lots of activity at the airport due to the many FR, EZY and WW departures between 6:00 and 7:30.

Early morning sun over the apron.

Boarding started at 6:15 and we were soon aboard the aircraft. Sat in seats 5A,B,C, 6A,B so had good views. Quick taxi along to the end of the runway and then we were up and away. Right turn to take us up over Derby and over our house and then the route took us over the Peak District, Manchester and then up over the Lake District before beginning our decent into EDI.

Big version: Width: 2176 Height: 3264 File size: 1857kb
Snow on the mountains on our way to Edinburgh

Our luggage was waiting for us on the belt even before we got there! Well done Edinburgh!!!

We had a very enjoyable time in the Scottish capital, even though it was a little chilly. Lots of times spent sightseeing and shopping with the family.

All too soon it was the next day and we were due to fly back home. We had an evening flight which was very full.

Flight: WW5194 EDI-EMA
Aircraft: G-TOYA (737)

Sat in seats 6A,B,C,E and F and had lovely views throughout the flight. Taxied to the end of the runway and then the captain kept his foot on the brake while spooling up the engines. All of a sudden he released the brake and we shot off down the runway. There were 5 FAs on this flight, which seems quite a lot for such a short flight on a 737. Flew down the west coast over Morecombe and Blackpool and then began our decent north of Manchester.

Flying over the West Coast on our way to EMA

We did a rather large circular descent and ended up flying over Nottingham on our approach to EMA. It was raining and very windy so there was some turbulance, but we had a very smooth landing. Typical of EMA, there were two airport buses waiting for us to take us 200 yards down to the baggage belt. I am sure we could have walked it faster!

Getting off 'Brummie Baby' at a cold East Midlands Airport

The baggage area was very crowded as there were 2 flights using the same belt. Someone from BMIbaby was shouting for the Belfast passengers to stand back and let the Edinburgh passengers get their luggage first. Our suitcases were one of the first ones off and they were soon followed by the buggy.

*****************************************************************************************************************************************

Overall: A brilliant flight with BMIbaby. Having heard some good and not so good things about the company, I was a little nervous about flying with them. Seats were brilliant and the crew were very helpful, especially having a 2 year old in tow. Aircraft were looking a little old and tired inside but they were comfortable.

I was slightly disappointed with East Midlands Airport, especially after flying from Birmingham recently. I know it is a regional airport, but there didn't seem to be the same facilities as at Birmingham. I am sure that I will fly from here again as it is nearer to home.

[Edited 2008-04-11 06:15:58]

[Edited 2008-04-11 06:20:22]

HUYguy

RE: EMA-EDI-EMA With BMIbaby

Fri Apr 11, 2008 4:26 pm

Nice trip report! I've never flown from EMA (my local airport), although I'm flying EMA-BCN on EasyJet on the 28th and looking forward to it!

Is there not very much at the terminal then?

Shane

[email protected]

Fri Apr 11, 2008 4:30 pm

Cool report.

I'll be living 25 mins from EMA later this year. Was planning EMA-IOM in early Sept to get on the SWM, but it seems that as the D28 has now been delivered it'll operate the route instead. Hmm. Anyway, I'll have to get on WW again at some point (have only flown MAN-ORK-MAN with them before).
"Everyone writing for the Telegraph knows that the way to grab eyeballs is with Ryanair and/or sex."

emalad
Topic Author

Fri Apr 11, 2008 5:04 pm

It isn't the best terminal in the world, even though they have just modernised it. If you are travelling very early in the morning it is very crowded. The whole terminal seems very thin and long with all the eating/drinking places alongside the gates. It has some very good spotting opportunities though and you can see all the comings and goings while you are waiting.

It doesn't compare to other airports I have been to in the uk such as BHX, EDI and LTN. It might be similar to Doncaster but I haven't been there.

ba319-131

Sat Apr 12, 2008 5:49 am

Nice report, thanks.

Not flown from EMA yet, would be nice to find an excuse to add it to my flown to/from airport list.

What were the loads like on the flight up?

I'm assuming there was some form of BOB service, much uptake that you could see?

Regards

Mark
111 732 733 734 735 736 73G 738 739,7M8 BBJ 741 742 743 744 752 753 762 763 764 772 77L 773 77W L15 D10 D30 D40 AB3 AB6 312 313 318 319 320 20N 321 21N 332 333 342 343 345 346 359 351 388 CS1 CS3 I86 154 SSJ CRJ CR7 CR9 CRK 145 170 175 220

emalad
Topic Author

Sat Apr 12, 2008 10:29 am

The load on the way up was about 80% and 100% on the way back. There is a trolley service to buy drinks and snacks. We got drinks for the family but there didn't seem to be much uptake from the business passengers on the flight. The trolley only took about 5 minutes to go from the front to the back and back again.

I was pretty impressed with WW even though I had heard some horror stories about them. What was nice was that you get assigned seats rather than the scrum on Easyjet and Ryanair.

B747forever

Thu Apr 17, 2008 4:09 pm

Nice TR

The pics are really good.

Glad that you maneged to enjoy your flights with BMIbaby.

Thank you for sharing

B747forever
Work Hard, Fly Right

BMED

Thu Apr 17, 2008 4:48 pm

Quoting EMAlad (Thread starter):
There were 5 FAs on this flight, which seems quite a lot for such a short flight on a 737

Wow, normally there would only be 3 so 5 is a bit of a jump. Anyone know why? training or re-currents?
Great report though
Living the jetset life! No better way to be

ib16uk

Thu Apr 17, 2008 8:22 pm

EMALAD

I think I've flown on G-TOYH - BHX-EDI-BHX - Aircraft was called " baby of the north "

Great report - I am due to fly bmibaby - BHX-BFS in about 2 weeks time !!

emalad
Topic Author

Thu Apr 17, 2008 9:06 pm

I was really impressed with WW and the service they offered. Still not sure why there were 5 FA on the flight. Have only ever had 3 on a 737/A319 before. Was funny that on the flight there the seats were leather and on the flight back they were cloth. Nice 2-tone blue though. Would certainly fly with them again, maybe from BHX next time, because I have been on 3 of the 5 737s based at EMA.

Have a good flight with them

picturethis

Fri Apr 18, 2008 1:44 pm

Nice trip report this!

I fly from East Midlands all the time practically, never been from anywhere else. While its advantages are good, being closer to other Airports and its not too big, there are some annoying things about it.

The departure loungue is, regardless of how many modifications, still long and narrow, and when you get 3 or 4 charter flights in there it starts to take the strain. As soon as they go, its all quiet again. Plus the luggage belt area is totally incapable of coping with the number of flights in there. It seems as if the rest of the Airport has moved on and that area has been left to make do with the way it is...

Checking in hall on the other hand is really nice and airy and I'm looking forward to the new plans that are coming in, in the future!! I will still use it as my main Airport as, afterall, it is a nice place to fly into and out of.
Make sure they know we're playing the game, but we don't need to play the game because we've already won the game.

emalad
Topic Author

Fri Apr 18, 2008 6:57 pm

I agree with you that the check-in hall is lovely and bright and is very easy to use. Between 5:00 and 7:00 there must be some 20 flights leaving and the narrow and thin waiting lounge certainly seemed to be straining. We didn't have to go down to the new bit, but I did notice a sign that there are no more shops or eating areas after you go up the stairs. It was rather strange that there is only 1 belt for domestic arrivals and when we arrived the Belfast flight followed us in, so it was chaos!!! I hope there are big plans for EMA because it is my local airport and I would like to see some more services going from there. Thanks for the comments about my trip report!!!

ZKOJH

Sat Apr 19, 2008 10:23 pm

F.A.O, EMAlad,

very good to see a 'ww' report and pleased you enjoyed your trip, this is what we need to keep us happy, baby is quite busy in the morning or '1st wave' with CDG, EDI , GLA AMS, BFS and BRU to get away between 6 and 7 keeps the staff very busy,
Air New Zealand ~ dreams of flying

emalad
Topic Author

Sat Apr 26, 2008 7:44 am

Hi Jkojh, I was really impressed by the flights and the friendly WW staff. I hadn't flown with them for a few years and was comparing them to EZY and FR. Although the aircraft are looking a bit old, they were very comfortable. I actually know someone who is cabin crew for WW and I was hoping that she was on our flight, but she wasn't. Am glad this report made you happy, cos WW certainly deserve the praise!

Am looking forward to flying with WW again.

OA260

Sat Apr 26, 2008 12:26 pm

Congrats on your 2nd TR. Nice pics and glad you had good flights

OA260