qfflyer
Topic Author

SYD-JFK-LHR-BCN On QF & BA First W/many Pics

Fri May 02, 2008 11:07 am

6 weeks after I returned from my last trip to France, it was time to head off again. This time, I thought I would use some of my hard earned FF points to try First Class with Qantas and BA. With only 4 weeks until I was due to fly out, I worked out the dates and places I needed to be and called Qantas. After an hour on the phone, I managed to get all the flights I wanted, which was pretty surprising considering how close I was to the date of first flight, and the loads on these flights.
Wanting to take advantage of being in First Class, I went for the longest routing possible, which went like this; SYD-(LAX)-JFK-LHR-BCN-[separate tickets BCN-MAD-NTE-CDG]-CDG-LHR-LAX-SYD.
About a week after I booked the flights, I watched the loadings and noticed that QF 8, the Thursday daytime flight from LAX-SYD which I specifically wanted, was all zeroed out. I thought that was strange as that flight will never fully book, so I checked the 149 out of Sydney on the same day, and that also was zeroed out. That was very strange so I made a call to a friend who had a look at these [and the same for the weeks around] who noticed that these flights were closed for sale, and there was protected seats on the QF 12 and QF 107. It seems Qantas were going to cancel the only flight I really wanted. After 2 weeks with no more confirmation, I rang Qantas to find out what was happening, only to be told that the QF 8 was indeed “full sold”. Then 6 days before I was due to fly out, I noticed on my booking a request to call Qantas about the QF 8 flight. When I called them, I was told I was rebooked on the QF 12 on the same day. To say I was pissed off was an understatement, as if I had known this from the start I would have stayed in Europe a day longer and wouldn’t have made an uncancellable hotel booking in LA for that night. It was made worse because I knew what was going to happen but couldn’t do much about it.
The upside of this, was that VH-OEJ was due to operate QF 12 on this day, and I haven’t been on Wunula Dreaming yet, so I wasn’t too unhappy.

SYD-LAX
Flight: QF 107
Plane: 747-438ER
Rego: VH-OEE
Seat: 1A

When I initially booked, I had been seated in 2K, which would be my preference from SYD-LAX, but the A side is better LAX-JFK, so I rang back and asked if I could have 2 seating requests, but that was too hard, so I was put in 1A which I accepted. The day before the flight Qantas called me to confirm tickets and seats, but couldn’t book me a spa treatment as it was all fully booked, maybe next time.
Unfortunately when I got up this morning I found I had a message on my phone from BA saying that my flight from JFK-LHR had been cancelled and to please call them. You would have thought that BA USA would realise that ringing Australia at 2:30am wasn’t going to garner any results, but at least they left a message. Pity that I couldn’t get through to BA USA and it was too early to call BA Australia. I gave that one up and waited for my cab to arrive.

Checking in was quick and easy, with the pre checkin done over the phone the day before, however Qantas were not able to do anything about the BA flight apart from check my bags through to BCN.
After changing some money I made my way to the First Class lunge via the express customs and security line which took all of 5 minutes, I could easily get used to this part.
The lounge was, as usual, fairly busy at this time, but there were some dining tables free allowing me to enjoy the great breakfast that is available in this lounge.

VH-EBH heading off

SQ landing

When I finished breakfast I logged onto ba.com to check my booking and found I had been move to BA112, so I allocated myself 1K, and then tried to call BA Australia. Two calls and 40 minutes later, someone actually answered the phone and eventually told me they had confirmed me on BA 112, with a hold on a seat on BA 116 in case my flight into JFK was late, which mostly QF 107 is.
Even though this had taken over an hour, and would have made me late for boarding, we had been advised that there was a delay in boarding as the plane had to make its way from the stand to the gate. The blame for this was the late arrival of the plane from SFO, but reality was that there were no gates available.

VH-OEE being taken to the gate

The US bound flights usually leave from gates 8 and 9, but one gate was already taken, and the JNB flight was running late and took the other one.
This meant that boarding started at 10:45, and with the load being 100% today making boarding a long slow process, we didn’t leave the blocks until 11:25.

My seat!

VH-OEC which will be QF11 heading to LA

My entrée

Lunch

Dessert

My plan for this leg was to try was to try getting a good sleep from 8 hours out, and to aide that, I stayed up most of the night, and watched the first live coverage of the Paris-Roubaix. This meant I was pretty tired to start with, so didn’t feel like eating much, but being in First I wanted to try as much as possible.

During the meal service I watched Juno, not a bad movie, but not as good as I expected, so afterwards I ended up reading.
The last time I flow on QF 107, we went directly over Fiji, which was the reason for trying for a K seat on this leg, but this time our routing was over 100 miles south, which meant there was absolutely nothing to see on this leg. As there was no need to wait the 4 hours as I had initially thought, I changed into my sleeper suit after 3 hours flying, and climbed into my made bed.
For some reason, sleep did not come easy and it seemed like I just dozed for the rest of the flight, although I must have slept a good portion. At one stage we went through about 15 minutes of moderate to severe turbulence, nice for me as I find it relaxing but I am sure there would have been some nervous people holding on for dear life.

Before I went to sleep I was asked what time I wanted to be woken up for the breakfast service, to which I responded about one and half hours to go please. I was surprised when I was told they prefer at least 2 hours so they can get through the service. When I flew BA Club World last year, they didn’t seem to have a problem getting through a breakfast service with less than an hour to go, so I wondered why it was a problem for QF.
In any case it didn’t matter as I was wide awake 3 hours out so I decided to get up and changed, and have breakfast then.

LAX just before touchdown

We only made up 15 minutes over the flight which meant we landed at 07:30 but more importantly for a quick transit, ahead of QF 93. Previously I have found that customs can be quick, but the security into T4 can be slow, with many AA flights leave early in the morning. Today was little different, maybe marginally quicker than previously but that maybe because this time we beat the other Australian arrivals. In all it was 45 minutes from arriving at the blocks until I arrived into the AA lounge in T4.
As the First Class lounge only has 3 showers, I went straight to the desk at the business class lounge and asked for a key for the showers in that lounge. When I was asked why I didn’t want to use the showers in the FC lounge I replied I wasn’t sure if there would be any free, so the woman rang through and sure enough found that all 3 showers were full, and promptly handed me a key for a shower in the J lounge and remarked to me that I had obviously been here before!

By the time I had finished in the shower, there was only 10 minutes before we were due to board again, so I quickly used the free TMobile connection that is provided in the lounge to download e-mails to work on during the next leg. I also checked my voice messages to find Qantas had called to let me know BA had rebooked me on BA 116 today.

LAX-JFK
Flight: QF 107 cont.
Plane: 747-438ER
Rego: VH-OEE
Seat: 1A

Boarding started pretty much on time, and was totally full in F and J, but economy only at about 50%. I knew that this flight, service wise, was going to be average when after I asked for an orange juice, was given a G&T.
We pushed back about 20 minutes late and had a long taxi to 24L meant we didn’t get airborne until 09:50. Even at this stage I was still hoping to make the BA 112 as we were scheduled to arrive at JFK at 17:30, enough time I thought to make the connection considering both flights arrived and departed at T7. The reason for wanting this flight was to make my connection at LHR to my BCN flight, longer to avoid any problems.

The first parked planes for the morning VH-OEH having arrived from MEL, and VH-OJF having arrived from BNE

With no signs of a meal service starting, I started to work on my computer, answering mails, and other work I had going. After 2 hours we were asked what we wanted for lunch. Being very tired, I didn’t feel like eating, but wanted to try the “famous steak sandwich” so I asked only for this.

Half an hour later, I was given the soup to start with. Having expressly asked for nothing else I was annoyed, but too tired to complain I ate it. Half way through the FA came up to me and noted that I didn’t want soup and she needed another one. I didn’t say anything, but was annoyed about the whole thing. Don’t really expect that with QF First. At least the steak sandwich turned up. Must admit though, I was disappointed. I am not a food connoisseur at the best of times, but I thought the steak tough and bread ordinary, maybe it was because I was so tired.

The steak sandwich

Longmont CO

After this, I figured a sleep was in order, and so managed an hours sleep before we started our descent into New York. By this time, it was becoming clear that I would not make BA 112, much to my disappointment, although I still held some hope right until the end when I saw the plane being pushed back as we taxied into the stand.

A rather large cemetery just before arrival into JFK

As soon as I disembarked I headed over to the desk where BA 174 was boarding and asked if I could get on that flight. Unfortunately I was told that the flight was full, probably with other people from the cancelled 176, and to head over to the Concorde lounge and get my boarding pass. Although it sounds rude the way I have noted, the staff were actually very pleasant and helpful, and at the lounge I was given my boarding pass for this flight and the one to BCN. I was happy that although I hadn’t gotten the 1K I had previously, I still had a window seat (4A).
Being very tired still, I didn’t make use of the dining in the Concorde lounge, instead making use of the free wifi to check e-mails.

JFK-LHR
Flight: BA 112
Plane: 747-436
Rego:
Seat: 4A

It wasn’t long before boarding was scheduled to start so I made my way to the gate, where we waited and waited and waited. No announcements or anything. 5 minutes after scheduled departure time we started to board. By this time I was getting nervous as the schedule only gave me one hour 15 to transfer from T4 to T1 at LHR, and all these delays ate into this time.

My first BA First seat

At 8:30pm we started to push back, obviously the ground staff did a good job of getting the SLF on board quickly. During the taxi, the captain announced that, although we left late, we should still land at LHR on time, which made me a lot more relaxed.
Immediately on board I started noticing the differences between BA and QF. I did like the fact that F passengers are greeted and taken to their seat by the FAs on BA, on QF you are only told which direction to head. Although I like the privacy afforded by the BA setup, I don’t like being so far away from the window, and the seats are looking really old.

As soon as the seatbelt sign went off I got up and put on my sleeper suit and returned to my bed already made. The next thing I remember is waking up 4 and half hours later feeling quite refreshed, and looking at an early arrival into LHR.

Unlike QF, breakfast was served just over an hour to go, and it was a good hot breakfast as well. After a short tour of London, we landed and arrived at T4 20 minutes early, so it was a good quick flight, and allowed me a relaxed trip to T1.
My luck seemed to be following me, as when I arrived at T1 security, there was no one there and I got through in less than a minute. I managed to get to the BA lounge with 40 minutes before my next flight was scheduled to depart and as per usual did some more e-mails.

LHR- BCN
Flight: BA 484
Plane: B 757-236
Rego: G-CPET
Seat: 2F

I was just about to get up and have a coffee when the flight was called, so I figured I would get one on the flight instead. It seemed this flight was the only one not delayed this morning, so it looked good for an ontime departure, something I hadn’t seen for a while.
Boarding started at 9am, and by 9:20 everyone was aboard and the door closed. Seven minutes later we pushed back, almost on time!

No guesses as to what this is

Breakfast was served pretty quickly after the seatbelt sign was extinguished, and even though I had had a breakfast a few hours earlier, I do like these breakfasts, so I had another one.

Great view south

The nice thing about being OW Emerald is being able to choose seats on ba.com, and being the careful person I am went for 2F because 1) I can’ put my camera under the seat in front and be very close to the front of the plane, and 2) it’s the side away from the sun on this leg. It turned out to be a very good choice, as I have never seen skies over the UK so clear. Shame the cloud arrived over France, but then cleared away over Spain. Again I seemed to be very lucky, over Spain, my side was completely clear, however when I looked over to the A side, I could see lots of cloud.

The port of Le Havre

Arrival into BCN was 25 minutes early but as this was the end of the trip for me, it didn’t really matter too much, just showed that I was having a good day. This was proven again, as I realised when I was walking up the ramp, that I had left my passport on the plane so I hurriedly turned around back to the plane where one of the FAs found it and gave it back to me.
The best part of the day was seeing not only my bags actually arrive, but 3rd bag off. After all the flights, and one change, I never expected my bags to arrive, maybe I am too cynical nowdays.

BCN to SYD to follow

triple7man

RE: SYD-JFK-LHR-BCN On QF & BA First W/many Pics

Fri May 02, 2008 11:52 am

Thank you for your report and especially the scenic pics. It's sad about the service on QF...I've read other reports where their service is lacking.
Have you kissed a 777 today?

milesaddict

Fri May 02, 2008 11:53 am

So far it's perfect, keep going !

davescj

Fri May 02, 2008 12:00 pm

Great TR!! I look forward to reading the next part. Glad your flights on BA at least worked out.

Dave
Can I have a mojito on this flight?

ba319-131

Fri May 02, 2008 12:16 pm

Great report and pictures, thanks.

The quality of some of those pictures was excellent, what camera are you using?

Given all the problems, it's good to see you managed to get on the BCN flight & get all your luggage too! - Sometimes everything comes together in the end.

Look forward to the next installment.

Regards

Mark
111 732 733 734 735 736 73G 738 739,7M8 BBJ 741 742 743 744 752 753 762 763 764 772 77L 773 77W L15 D10 D30 D40 AB3 AB6 312 313 318 319 320 20N 321 21N 332 333 342 343 345 346 359 351 388 CS1 CS3 I86 154 SSJ CRJ CR7 CR9 CRK 145 170 175 220

AA7295

Fri May 02, 2008 12:47 pm

Why didn't you stop over in the States? You truly are an avaiation enthusiast if you are willing to get to Europe via the USA, not the FIS is that bad these days.

mk777

Fri May 02, 2008 1:28 pm

I truly loved the pics. You have managed to capture some beautiful scenery on your trip so far.

Too bad, that qantas service is not upto the mark.

And am amazed your bags made it with you especially since you faced delays and cancellation. Also, BA is not a carrier where the luggage actually makes it on time...so it was a good surprise.

Looking forward to the return leg.

M-
come fly with me

caspritz78

Fri May 02, 2008 3:31 pm

Great report. Really great pictures. But I'm still trying to figure out what this charcoal looking piece is that is on your breakfast plate. Some kind of "well-done" mushroom?

EXAAUADL

Fri May 02, 2008 3:45 pm

I'd be so tired at the end of that trip...long way to BCN though

N787ZZ

Fri May 02, 2008 4:02 pm

Hello QFFlyer,

Fantastic trip report - the pictures look great.

I am looking to burn a few frequent flier miles myself and was thinking of JFK-SYD on Qantas in F but unfortunately it appears the service seems to be lacking. Perhaps via HKG on CX will be a better use of the miles.

Regards.

semsem

Fri May 02, 2008 4:08 pm

Great pictures. Unbelievable routing.

LHRBFSTrident

Fri May 02, 2008 4:16 pm

Fantastic report - thanks for all the pics...

any idea whose 747 that is heading in the opposite direction to you over the mid-US? 747s mid-continent are a bit of a rarity these days...

and is that Farnborough in the pic after take-off from LHR-BCN?

brekkie looks delicious - I have to go and eat now... The QF cutlery looks like it was designed by 'PlayMobil'  Smile

BritPilot777

Fri May 02, 2008 4:30 pm

Excellent trip report!

BritPilot777
Forever Flight

joemac547

Fri May 02, 2008 6:42 pm

Quoting QFFlyer (Thread starter):
we went through about 15 minutes of moderate to severe turbulence, nice for me as I find it relaxing but I am sure there would have been some nervous people holding on for dear life.

Man I would love to have your mentality! I, unfortunately, am one of those "holding on for dear life". Oh well.

rogerbcn

Fri May 02, 2008 8:06 pm

Hola QFFlyer!

Great report. Thanks for sharing.

The food looks really delicious in all the pictures... really  yummy !

Now I know my routing to SYD... quite long though, but it seems really interesting.

BTW, when deboarding and boarding the same plane at LAX, I always wondered why you have to go through US passport check and customs? I never really understood these requirements.

Is it plastic silverware QF uses for breakfast in First Class? If so, it is really cheap.  down   redflag   thumbsdown 

Finally, I hope you enjoyed your time in BCN.

Salut!

Roger
"At reise er at leve" H.C. Andersen (Traveling is Living)

qfflyer
Topic Author

Fri May 02, 2008 11:17 pm

Quoting BA319-131 (Reply 4):
The quality of some of those pictures was excellent, what camera are you using

Thanks, I am using a Canon 350D

Quoting AA7295 (Reply 5):
Why didn't you stop over in the States?

Time restraints mostly. This was a 2 week trip as it was and I didn't want to be away from home any longer, and ironically even though this is a work trip, they don't like me being away from the office any longer than I have to.

Quoting Caspritz78 (Reply 7):
But I'm still trying to figure out what this charcoal looking piece is that is on your breakfast plate. Some kind of "well-done" mushroom

Correct, with a dark cabin I didn't want to use a flash. It was a good mushroom to.

Quoting N787ZZ (Reply 9):
I am looking to burn a few frequent flier miles myself and was thinking of JFK-SYD on Qantas in F but unfortunately it appears the service seems to be lacking

This was only one leg of one trip. This was the worst QF service I have received though. All my other trips with QF, service has been very good, even in Y.

Quoting LHRBFSTrident (Reply 11):
any idea whose 747 that is heading in the opposite direction to you over the mid-US? 747s mid-continent are a bit of a rarity these days

It looks like UA 744

Quoting LHRBFSTrident (Reply 11):
and is that Farnborough in the pic after take-off from LHR-BCN

Not sure, would be happy to know though!

Quoting Rogerbcn (Reply 14):
Is it plastic silverware QF uses for breakfast in First Class

Yes due to CASA regulations, they are crap but its not QFs fault

Quoting Rogerbcn (Reply 14):
Finally, I hope you enjoyed your time in BCN

Thanks, I did but because it was work all I got to see was Port Ginesta, and a quick trip to Mataro.

Cheers and thanks for all the nice comments

fbgdavidson

Sat May 03, 2008 2:03 am

Superb pictures! Great reading too.

A bit of a preview for me as I'll be on QF107 next month. I hope the service is a little better than you experienced though...The cabin looks almost spotless though, something you don't really get on BA's 747s anymore. They all look a little batlleworn  Sad
"My first job was selling doors, door to door, that's a tough job innit" - Bill Bailey

davescj

Sat May 03, 2008 9:43 am

Quoting Fbgdavidson (Reply 16):
They all look a little batlleworn  

I was surprised that the new CW was done in white. Ask any decorator -- white looks good in a show room. In real life, it shows all the wear and tear people give it.

Dave
Can I have a mojito on this flight?

fbgdavidson

Sat May 03, 2008 4:17 pm

Quoting Davescj (Reply 17):
I was surprised that the new CW was done in white. Ask any decorator -- white looks good in a show room. In real life, it shows all the wear and tear people give it.

I was initially surprised and posted it in my trip report from my first NGCW flight. Apparently it was selected because it meant the cleaners could more easily spot the marks on the surfaces of the seat. IME it doesn't seem to be making that much difference, though obviously at this stage some aircraft have had the new seat for 18 months whilst the others have had a third of that. It is hard to differentiate between new aircraft versus ones that are kept in good nick.
"My first job was selling doors, door to door, that's a tough job innit" - Bill Bailey

laca773

Sat May 03, 2008 5:45 pm

Thankyou for the wonderful TR. I enjoyed reading your narrative very much.
How are the amentity kits on QF? I enjoy the one's on BA F very much. Very classy.
It looks like the catering on LAX-JFK is not much. Is it a full service or is it just a snack?
You took some wonderful photos. The first photo of the QF 330 with the city as a back drop. The photos of T5 @ Heathrow are phenomenal. It just shows how large BA's new facilities are. Will you be posting these anywhere? They are definitely five star!
Regards,
LACA773

qfflyer
Topic Author

Sun May 04, 2008 12:05 am

A bit of a preview for me as I'll be on QF107 next month. I hope the service is a little better than you experienced though...

I am sure you will get better service. It was only the LAX-JFK leg which was average. I found the service on LAX-SYD was very good [next report]
If you have some time in SYD, send me a PM.

The cabin looks almost spotless though, something you don't really get on BA's 747s anymore. They all look a little batlleworn

Agreed. QF have [very] recently upgraded the fabrics and carpets throughout the fleets which make them cosmetically a lot more pleasant.

Quoting LACA773 (Reply 19):
How are the amentity kits on QF

Pretty average to be honest. I will try and include a photo of one in the next report.

It looks like the catering on LAX-JFK is not much. Is it a full service or is it just a snack

It is full service, with some good options;
Entree:
Pea and mint soup
Char Grilled Lamb Salad

Main:
Tagliatelle with Zuchini
Chicken with Tomato and Caper Sauce
Salad of Seared Rare Tuna

etc....

You took some wonderful photos. The first photo of the QF 330 with the city as a back drop. The photos of T5 @ Heathrow are phenomenal. It just shows how large BA's new facilities are. Will you be posting these anywhere? They are definitely five star

Thanks  Smile I hadn't planned on posting anywhere other than my Photobucket account but always open to suggestions and requests.

Cheers

AH332

Sun May 04, 2008 1:55 am

Hi,

Excellent Trip Report!  Smile And that's an understatement.

I am thinking of heading over to Nice this winter. Is it a nice place, and how expensive is it?

Again, thanks for an excellent read!

Cheers,
Imad
Bledi Heya Al Djazaeer! // Next Flights: AB MIA-DUS-ORY, AF ORY-MRS-ALG

HKGKaiTak

Sun May 04, 2008 5:51 am

Fantastic trip report! Your scenic photos are absolutely stunning!  thumbsup 

Quoting QFFlyer (Thread starter):
My plan for this leg was to try was to try getting a good sleep from 8 hours out, and to aide that, I stayed up most of the night, and watched the first live coverage of the Paris-Roubaix.

LOL, you weren't the only one. I think everyone who has the remotest interest in cycling was up. It was actually my second live coverage of P-R, the first was watching with 10,000 of my closest friends in the velodrome in Roubaix. That was the year Cancellara won.  Smile

Now can I ask why you didn't make it over to France to watch the race live?
4 Engines 4 LongHaul

qfflyer
Topic Author

Sun May 04, 2008 9:46 am

Quoting HKGKaiTak (Reply 22):
Now can I ask why you didn't make it over to France to watch the race live

Timing, if I had been away from work/home for a week, I would have tried to take some holidays and seen the race, but 2 weeks is too long, especially as I have been away for 10 days earlier in the year, and more trips in the offing.

Actually my next trip will see me just miss the start of the TdF  Sad

Cheers

Jokestar

Sun May 04, 2008 2:00 pm

Excellent trip report. It's quite funny to see that you were on VH-OEE for QF107 and -OEC was operting QF11 as I took OEC as QF11 to LAX last December and returned on QF12 on -OEE.

Sketty222

Sun May 04, 2008 6:19 pm

What a brilliant report so far. You've managed to capture some great pics along the way. I especially like the A330 and the SYD backdrop.
Im pleased to hear your bags arrived at the same time as you. In this day and age travelling through LHR can be a bit of a struggle with connecting bags

Quoting QFFlyer (Reply 20):
The cabin looks almost spotless though, something you don't really get on BA's 747s anymore. They all look a little batlleworn

Agreed. QF have [very] recently upgraded the fabrics and carpets throughout the fleets which make them cosmetically a lot more pleasant.

BA are to start their F cabin upgrade in 2009 I believe although the new design hasn't been released yet. Hopefully it will mae a huge difference compared to the cabin they have at the moment

Looking forward to the return journey report

Lee
There's flying and then there's flying

INNflight

Sun May 04, 2008 6:43 pm

Thanks very very much for the great TR...
Had a very relaxing read and the pics went along nicely, really enjoyed it!

Please keep them coming!

BTW: The LHR T5 pics are very nice to see, didn't come across a single one from the air on A.net I think. Thumbs up!!  Smile
Jet Visuals

A340600

Sun May 04, 2008 7:33 pm

Quoting Davescj (Reply 17):

That's what most people, myself included, thought when it was released. However I have yet to see this design dirty despite numerous trips on BA 747's per month. As said above we shall have to give it more time.

The 747's are improving slightly. There is a deep clean of the F fabrics at the moment and the washrooms are being upgraded in all other cabins as the aircraft go through checks. The new washrooms are a nice and rather welcome refresh with better materials and features making it easier for passengers and crew.
Despite the name I am a Boeing man through and through!

COEWR2587

Sun May 04, 2008 7:42 pm

Awesome report. I always wondered about the Qantas LAX-JFK leg. Is it possible to buy a ticket on that leg without flying from SYD?
Newark Airport...My Home Away From Home

fbgdavidson

Mon May 05, 2008 3:17 am

Quoting A340600 (Reply 27):
The 747's are improving slightly. There is a deep clean of the F fabrics at the moment and the washrooms are being upgraded in all other cabins as the aircraft go through checks. The new washrooms are a nice and rather welcome refresh with better materials and features making it easier for passengers and crew.

Good news! Just checked your profile Sam, didn't realise you were cabin crew!  thumbsup 

Quoting COEWR2587 (Reply 28):
Awesome report. I always wondered about the Qantas LAX-JFK leg. Is it possible to buy a ticket on that leg without flying from SYD?

Nope, although I believe if you are on a oneworld Explorer (RTW ticket) then you can stopover at LAX in either direction providing you fly onwards to either SYD or JFK on QF metal.

SInGAPORE_AIR

Mon May 05, 2008 10:28 am

A thoroughly enjoyable report QFFlyer!
Anyone can fly, only the best Soar.

crdaus

Wed Jul 16, 2008 2:52 am

Fabulous pictures and a great report. I feel as if I am right there on the flight and it reminds me of all the hassles one has making connections. A pity you did not see much of Barcelona. The variability of QF cabin service is one of the reasons I have been flying SQ lately, although QF have little competition as far as service standards go on USA domestic sectors - I mean who would fly AA is they can fly QF?

You seemed to have been lucky with redemptions. Did you redeem the whole F ticket or was it an upgrade from J? Another reason for my preference for SQ lately has been the ease of redemptions on SQ compared to QF. And now with the woeful 'anyseat' concept, I wonder if F seats (other than those being dumped days before a flight) will ever be available under 'Classic' again.

Obviously, I need to visit this site more often so I don't miss trip reports like yours. Thanks for taking the time to do the report.

qfflyer
Topic Author

Wed Jul 16, 2008 3:33 am

Quoting Singapore_Air (Reply 30):
A thoroughly enjoyable report QFFlyer!

Thanks  Smile

Quoting Crdaus (Reply 31):
Fabulous pictures and a great report

Thanks  Smile

Quoting Crdaus (Reply 31):
You seemed to have been lucky with redemptions. Did you redeem the whole F ticket or was it an upgrade from J?

I was very lucky with the redemptions. It was a full F redemption ticket, and your report to SFO was one of the reasons I wanted to try the Pacific leg, as I had the option [yes in F] to get to BCN via LHR on QF 31.

Cheers

SASDC8

Thu Jul 17, 2008 1:10 pm

Thank you so much for fabulous report with stunning pictures  Smile

I thought (and have read) so much good about the service level of QF, so I must say that I am a bit surprised to read about your experience...

GT instead of orange juice is just plain funny Big grin

Cheers
Stein
2-3-2 is NOT a premium configuration

miaskies

Thu Jul 17, 2008 5:09 pm

Nice report... but it sounds like your complain quite alot! just enjoy theflight...
Crosscheck Complete :)

readytotaxi

Thu Jul 17, 2008 5:20 pm

That was something really special, greatly enjoyed it thanks.
On the QF flight that knife and fork looked like shinny plastic, was that the case?
you don't get a second chance to make a first impression!
Growing older, but not up.

qfflyer
Topic Author

Thu Jul 17, 2008 9:40 pm

Quoting SASDC8 (Reply 33):
I thought (and have read) so much good about the service level of QF, so I must say that I am a bit surprised to read about your experience.

It was only the LAX-JFK leg where the service was "lacking". Generally I find the QF service to be very good especially from the London based crews

Quoting MIASkies (Reply 34):
Nice report... but it sounds like your complain quite alot! just enjoy theflight

Not really, what I have noted are my observations during the trip. I am not fussed to be served the wrong drink by mistake, or get the wrong food order...these thing happen, however when they all happen on one flight, and in First, my opinion is that it shouldn't.
Trust me I enjoyed the flight and it didn't spoil my experience at all.

Quoting Readytotaxi (Reply 35):
On the QF flight that knife and fork looked like shinny plastic, was that the case

The knife was plastic due to CASA regulations...the less said the better!

Cheers