henkybaby
Topic Author

BA CE AMS LHR Vv And T5 + Lounge (loads Of Pics)

Sat Jun 21, 2008 10:08 pm

Date: June21st 2008
Route: AMSLHRAMS
Flights: BA439 and BA442
Travel class: Club Europe
Lounge(s): BA Terraces at AMS and Galleries at LHR T5

Flight 1:
Scheduled departure time: 10:50
Actual: 11:20

Scheduled Arrival time: 11:05
Actual: 12:05

This trip is only intended to gather Tier Points so that on my next flight to DXB in F will not loose 160 TP. Those who know how the BA system works will realize that sometimes you need to spend a little to gain something. I decided this would be an excellent opportunity to explore T5 a little and have something on my mind before the exciting game tonight. If you lived under a rock for the last 2 weeks: I am talking about the EC2008 game between the Netherlands and Russia.

We lost by the way…  Sad

I was reasonably on time at AMS because I anticipated a very busy airport due to fans flying to Basel for the game. Fortunately it wasn’t and I was through customs in no time. No cue whatsoever. From there it was straight to the lounge for breakfast. I was hungry. Failed to have breakfast. Since all of you are obsessed with food here , I made a little picture. Especially for you  Smile.

Also I bought myself a little present: an Asus Eee PC with a 9 inch screen. I am using it now to type my trip report. The keyboard will take some getting used to... Here is a picture of it still in the lounge. It is no bigger than a book.

Here are some BA lounge pictures at AMS

The attendant at the lounge informed that the flight was on time and departing from gate D16. In fact it was 30 minutes late and departing from gate D12, but who's counting? The unexpected wait at the gate gave me some time for take some pictures. Hope you like them.

Again the boarding process at AMS was chaotic. Only one baggage check machine and I think the security staff was being supervised since they were extremely thorough and thus slow. With one passenger processed per minute you do have the rare opportunity to have the bridge all to yourself.

Once we were on the plane we were informed that we had lost our slot and needed an additional 15 minutes or so. The captain was very clear about the reason for the delay (no prices for guessing it was caused by delays at LHR) and very informative and apologetic. That always helps. The door had already closed and I quickly moved from 3A to 1A since the passenger in 4A kept kicking the chair. Either a very clumsy or very annoying dude. While moving I noticed that the cockpit door was still open, so here is a glimpse of the A319 steering hut.

And some Club Europe A319 interior shots

It took another 10 minutes before pushback. We were behind a row of traffic. Two I found interesting. Jade Cargo and ´Beko Home Appliances'. I am guessing that some LCC is no selling its a/c as advertising space?

Once in the air we were quickly served our br/unch. And yes, I did take all you airplane food enthusiasts into account. Here is a picture of a nice meal. First two observations: 1. Why provide a knife if it has been made 'hijack proof'? (This automatically makes it useless as a knife altogether.) 2. Why can't the English make a good cup of tea? This is supposedly their national heritage, no?

Close up

After a short while the captain came on again with another delay. Due to traffic to LHR we were being put in a holding pattern over the north east of London. We did 4 rounds before we were cleared for descent. Here is how that looks:

The captain was right. The weather over London was pretty grey and rainy. I was hoping for better light to take some pictures. I did manage to snap a picture of a A319 parked at a bus stand with a bus leaving. Does this mean that the billions of pounds spend on T5 will not prevent this practice? That sucks...

I did not take any pictures of it, but on the subject of strange building concepts: why are the bridges at T5 built at such a strange angle? They are very long at a 45 degree angle in stead of short and straight. Wait. This is very unclear. I will go and make a picture. Hold on. Well, not sure the pictures work, but it is better than nothing.

Ok, since all I am doing here is gathering Tier Points I have no purpose being here. I did not feel lik going into London (been there enough) so today I am spending my time at the airport. I am not a spotter so that does not really get my juices flowing but I did always complain I never have enough time to spend at the lounge. Today is going to be different! It will also give me the chance to take some pictures to please the ANet readers. Yes my friends, I am thinking of you!

T5 pictures first. There are so many of them that I will not write an interesting story for each and every one…

Just after disembarking

The Customer Service Desk at arrivals

Useless zigzag for hardly any passengers…

After the zigzag you get to a long escalator

Take your time getting to the gates

The infamous T5 elevators

Want a nice sports car?

Departure hall

Plane taking off through the windows… Er… well, you know what I mean

Ok, on my way to the lounge it is. Here are some pictures of how to get there…
If you are lucky and flying First, you can enter at the mezzanine level

If you’re not, you have to go down to the main level first

After going down, you have to go back up

Here is the entry to the First lounge after going up the escalators

Another view of the same

Entry to the Concorde room

And another view of the same

Since nothing exciting happened in the lounge I will let the pictures do most of the talking. Some comments: I watched a movie on my Eee PC (Becoming Jane) and this worked spectacularly well. Maybe this Eee PC will become my new favorite toy. I hate the warm food section of the lounge. Second time I tried their food (pasta Bolognese) and again the pasta was undercooked and hard in places. The sandwiches and so on are however delicious. Finally (and this is the God honest truth!) there was a fly in the soup.

Food first…

Juice bar

Cereal bar

Coffee bar

Hot food presentation (not bad, but certainly not great)

Salad bar

Drinks and chips (or crisps)

Lunch. Quite nice, but no idea what they where…

I had a bit of a beginners goof by the way. I forgot that you only get to use the spa if you are in transit from a long haul flight. The delightful attendant was very apologetic and looked at me with that 'probably first time in the lounge' look. I do look forward to using their facilities here in T5. They look great.

Entrance to Elemis Spa

There is a thread here somewhere about letting small children into F. No way, if I had anything to say about it, but I don't. Cannot ban them from the lounge either and that can be a nuisance, especially if they are bored and their parent too French to give a damn about their behavior. On the plus side, the annoying little brat had created a lot of empty seats in the lounge area of the lounge (if you know what I mean) and with my Etymotic earphones in I am safe!

I am always nesting. Here is the result

Interesting lamp

Magazine stand

TV corner

My view from my seat

Internet area

The washrooms

A before shot. Really!

Exiting the toilets, this is what you see

My preferred location

The coffee bar on the left hand side (and then right)

A very nice coffee shop like area

Reverse angle

The wine bar. Beautiful design.

Same bar, other view

Another nice seating area

The wine and chips bar

So, a lot of lounge pictures. That's what you get when you spent 6 hrs there. I must say it was very relaxing! Time to pack up again and leave my nest here. Back to Amsterdam. Lets take some more pictures of the terminal.

Roof construction

BA (no) service desk

Don’t go to the B gates by mistake

Takes a while, partly due to this escalator

The Hugo Boss store

The A1 to A7 gate area

Ze plane, ze plane!

Self portrait at Gate A2

Gordon Ramsey who does not eat his own dog food

Ok, this is really too long now. I will post some pictures of the way back. Cabin shots and arrival pics.

Watch the nice reflection in the engine

Nice clouds. Love clouds.

FL230

Shrimp salad on the way back. Tasty.

Passing the Dutch coast

The cabin

Just before touchdown

Trust reversers

Traffic Control had painted the tower orange. Did not do any good.  Wink

For a small country we sure have an airline with many planes…

http://pic40.picturetrail.com/VOL359/11064950/19926358/322235135.jpg

Home again.

It was a tiring day. Went to write this report while watching Holland loose to Russia. Such a shame but well done Guus Hidding!

I hope you liked this report of my visit to T5. Next trip will be with KLM to LHR T4 in September. I need some time away from planes and airports!

Feedback always appreciated.
Wherever you go, there you are!

Oasis

RE: BA CE AMS LHR Vv And T5 + Lounge (loads Of Pics)

Sat Jun 21, 2008 10:23 pm

Sweet report!

I watched the match, it just finished an hour ago. Great game, Holland played very nicely, but in the end, Russia won with 2 beautiful goals.
Aeroflot can fly Moscow to LA, I bet your airline can only fly half way

aznmadsci

RE: BA CE AMS LHR Vv And T5 + Lounge (loads Of Pic

Sat Jun 21, 2008 10:29 pm

Hey!

What? No pictures of the check-in areas , especially of each desk? And I thought you were thinking of the typical a.netter!  knockout  Oh wait, that's me, too!  splat 

Kidding aside, enjoyed the lounge pics! Thanks for sharing!

Colin  wave 
The journey of life is not based on the accomplishments, but the experience.

henkybaby
Topic Author

Sat Jun 21, 2008 10:35 pm

There is a pic of the check in area:

OLCI rules!  Smile

SOBHI51

Sat Jun 21, 2008 10:38 pm

Excellent report.Your pictures of T5 are well taken.Thanks.BTW got the same laptop bought 3 of them in Singapore my sons took 2 of them (2GB and the 900)left with one for my travel excellent device

[Edited 2008-06-21 15:42:56]
I am against any terrorist acts committed under the name of Islam

DanTaylor2006

Sat Jun 21, 2008 10:44 pm

Great report  Smile Very nice photographs from Terminal 5 and the Galleries Lounge.

Pretty useful for me too, as I'm flying Club Europe to Zurich on 25th July, and have about 4-6 hours (depending what I do elsewhere in the terminal/airport) to have a 'lounge' in the Lounge. I'm quite looking forward to it!

The photos on approach to AMS bring back memories of my day trip there in March, also with BA from Terminal 5! What a great day that was  Smile

Thanks for sharing (without wanting to sound like the 'surprisingly quiet' B747forever  Wink)!

SpeedBird10

Sun Jun 22, 2008 3:00 am

Amazing trip report. Pictures were great.
It looked like the same guy sitting in the window seat on the right hand side at the back of the Club cabin on both your flights!

henkybaby
Topic Author

Sun Jun 22, 2008 7:54 am

Quoting Speedbird10 (Reply 6):
It looked like the same guy sitting in the window seat on the right hand side at the back of the Club cabin on both your flights!

Great eye for detail. Both pictures are from the return flight. I got the URL's mixed up but was too tired to correct them.  tired 

ba319-131

Sun Jun 22, 2008 7:55 am

Nice report and pix, I was in T5 yesterday too!

Quoting Henkybaby (Thread starter):
Those who know how the BA system works will realize that sometimes you need to spend a little to gain something

- Yes, know that one too well!

Also I bought myself a little present: an Asus Eee PC with a 9 inch screen. I am using it now to type my trip report. The keyboard will take some getting used to... Here is a picture of it still in the lounge. It is no bigger than a book.

- Is it any good, I've been toying with the idea of getting one.

Again the boarding process at AMS was chaotic

- Always is there, really bad ground handling.

Why can't the English make a good cup of tea?

- You know I hardly ever get a good cup of tea or coffee on planes, a real shame.

I did manage to snap a picture of a A319 parked at a bus stand with a bus leaving. Does this mean that the billions of pounds spend on T5 will not prevent this practice? That sucks...

- Even when T5C opens, they will still have to bus.

My preferred location

- Me too, nice and quiet in this location.

Quoting DanTaylor2006 (Reply 5):
Thanks for sharing (without wanting to sound like the 'surprisingly quiet' B747forever )!

- Where is he?

Regards

Mark
111 732 733 734 735 736 73G 738 739,7M8 BBJ 741 742 743 744 752 753 762 763 764 772 77L 773 77W L15 D10 D30 D40 AB3 AB6 312 313 318 319 320 20N 321 21N 332 333 342 343 345 346 359 351 388 CS1 CS3 I86 154 SSJ CRJ CR7 CR9 CRK 145 170 175 220

henkybaby
Topic Author

Sun Jun 22, 2008 8:42 am

Quoting BA319-131 (Reply 8):
- Is it any good, I've been toying with the idea of getting one.

It is a great little machine. The only complaint I have is the keyboard is not really any good for typing long text. I take this machine to browse the Internet and do my OLCI and Online banking while on my RTW or other travels. I find that PDAs often have too many limitations (e.g. Flash support) and this one does the trick.

The other thing I use it for is my own IFE. Although the Solid State HD is 'only' 16GB with 12GB of effective usable space. Easy to bring a portable HD though. Quality of the movieplayer is good.

mhodgson

Sun Jun 22, 2008 10:58 am

Great report, and some nice photos.

Why can't the English make a good cup of tea? This is supposedly their national heritage, no?

The problem is that aircraft can not boil water for safety reasons - I think they only go up to 85ºC (IIRC) to prevent scalding. Hence the tea never brews properly.

Coffee is always a better option as it doesn't require boiling water.
No trees were harmed by this message. However, several million electrons were terribly inconvenienced

henkybaby
Topic Author

Sun Jun 22, 2008 11:18 am

Thanks.

Quoting Mhodgson (Reply 10):
The problem is that aircraft can not boil water for safety reasons - I think they only go up to 85ºC (IIRC) to prevent scalding. Hence the tea never brews properly.

Now that truly is news to me!  Smile Thanks for the info.

CityofAthens

Sun Jun 22, 2008 3:27 pm

It depends who is in charge of making the said beverage ... at BA, a very large 'industrial size' teabag is used for one kettle (coffee too). If the crewmember doesn't let the tea brew properly before taking the tea or coffeebag out, the result will be a very weak tea ... or an 'Americano' coffee  Silly

As someone who enjoys a proper tea or coffee, the above is very significant!

Right, having got that out of the way, thank you Henkybaby for taking the trouble to post the informative report ... always nice to read the opinions of fare-paying customers.

I have not set foot in Terminal 5, and will probably never see the inside of a BA lounge Big grin so your photos are very interesting.