coolfish1103
Topic Author

CZ Y & CI C: CAN-HKG-TPE

Mon Jun 30, 2008 9:04 am

This trip report is also posted in an airline forum in Chinese.

I woke up at around 6am to get prepared for the airport, so I took a shower as it was still early. I did not sleep till 2am last night playing around with my seats via online booking... so tired. Anyhow, there are lots of aircraft pictures today... enjoy the heavy images!

When i went to check in, the counter staff in Guangzhou could not find my booking with my full name cause my parents used my middle name for booking when they applied CAL membership card for me when I was young... since the name on the card appears that, I use just the middle name for most of my bookings. My booking for China Airlines was in Dynasty, so they could not get a seat allocated... but she could get my luggages tagged through HKG to TPE. I did not worry about that at that time cause I already played around with the bookings last night... so...

By the way, something improved... it's all on an e-ticket for CI and CZ this time (rather than 4 flight coupons). Looks like the two airlines are working together on a better note.

After checking in... as I head for the immigration, I saw so many Samsung advertisement in the terminal... As I go through the security, I find it pointless in a way as they just use those security check bar on every passenger from head to toe even if the passengers did not get a beep when they go through those machines. It caused a long line there...

Operating Airline: China Southern
Airplane No.: B-2805
Departing from: Guangzhou (CAN)
Destination: Hong Kong (HKG)
Flight No.: CZ0319
Departure Time: 0930 (Actual 1005)
Arrival Time: 1020 (Actual 1050)

Although I believe there were some rains in early morning, but I don't think it's raining at the moment... yeah, so these are dirty windows, not raining... you will see a clear contrast when when get to Hong Kong... it's also somewhat raining there, but you don't see these kind of windows. Also, a picture of Hainan Airlines' aircraft.

China Southern x 2, Finnair, and All Nippon Airways all in blue across the concourse.
Let's form a line!

China Southern Lounge to the right... yes there's actually a staff just standing outside the door (they can afford that with the lower wages). My mom said that China Airline customers can use this lounge if ticketed in Dynasty... and the lounge is not too bad.

Looks familiar?

There's a NWA 757 in Baiyun! It's a 757 from Tokyo Narita.

Today's spotlight, the aircraft we are using to head to Hong Kong. To note, today's aircraft is extremely full... probably because of a Friday? I usually do not get this kind of full flight on this leg... When I got on the flight, I realized my seat was one of those that cannot lay back, so it's very annoy. Originally my seat was a window one, but another old man took it... so I was happy and took the aisle so there's more leg room to make up for the no lay back.

Yeah, I got a better camera this time, so we got the ID for the aircraft: B-2805

All Nippon Airways Aircraft to Nagoya Centrair... as it prepares for boarding the Chinese announcement made by automated machines said MH instead of NH... I was like, what the hell? However, the English announcement made by the same automated machines clearly said NH... so... I guess it's a pronunciation issue.

Finnair aircraft to Helsinki. I was surprised that they also fly to CAN...

Lufthansa at Gate A13... I could not get a clear side view as it's located in the corner. You can see it's a Lufthansa aircraft as there's a small logo in the front side. It's heading for Frankfurt.

Another picture for Hainan to make up for the dirty windows... but a bit far.

I did not get a picture for the departure lists, so I do not know where is this aircraft going for China Southern.

Another picture for Baiyun... the concourse were we came from where there are dirty windows and duty free shops (seems to be all owned by the same group).

After this, I got on the aircraft... but I am on the aisle, and it's the same aircraft that I always take, so I did not take any pictures. As for the snack, it's just peanuts today... which was a downgrade from cookies that I got from the last couple trips. However, something interesting from this trip is that the flight announcement were not automated... someone actually spoke! Yeah, a FA spoke and the captain did not talk as usual. Something to note... no in-flight security video were presented... that was not acceptable.

Operating Airline: China Airlines
Airplane No.: B-18302
Departing from: Hong Kong (HKG)
Destination: Taipei Taoyuan (TPE)
Flight No.: CI0802
Departure Time: 1355 modified to 1510 (Actual 1545)
Arrival Time: 1525 modified to 1645 (Actual 1725)

After arriving to Hong Kong International Airport, I could not find CI0802 from the screens to see which gate it is at... so I went to the transfer area as I also need to get my boarding passes. However, I was told in Hong Kong that my flight was delayed and there's an aircraft swap... which my playing around last night with the seats all turned into a pointless act (I actually wanted to sit in F cabin on a 744 on C ticket, as that's what they do for the HKG bounds). In addition, the flights delay for almost 2 hours... and there are no wait lists available on flights ahead...

Another passenger was yelling on the next counter as she could not get on the flight as all of them are full. Her confirmed seat was pulled off for some unknown reason, and I feel sorry for the ground staff as that's probably not something they can control. After I chit chat a bit with the ground staff, she handed me three tickets... which two of them are the usual boarding passes and VIP lounge invitation... and the third one was a surprise (wonder if that's a result for flying in C).

This is the ticket... (sorry about the quality). HKD 90 coupon for food... too bad I cannot use it for duty free items... otherwise I would have bought something else as there are food in the lounge anyways. However, since it's a given for the 2 hour delay, I might as well use it since I did not have any breakfast in the morning. Therefore, I went up to floor 7 to pick my treat.

My HKD 90 treat.

Fried Chicken... tastes good.

Extra Gyoza to make up to HKD 90... also tasty. I had to use it as they won't give me anything back if I don't use it up xD

Pork Ramen... tastes ok as the soup is way too salty. I could not finish it because of the soup. After I finish my extraordinary meal, I went to the lounge.

Yeah, I also ate some stuff as the wait is still long... but I already ate a lot today so I would not put more food pictures from the lounge (as they are always the same). Just a picture of the lounge this time!

Now we will go through a bunch of pictures! Qatar Airways' aircraft being the first.

Vietnam Airlines' aircraft being pushed back.

Another single file line! Cathay Pacific, Dragon Air, CX, CX, Air Canada, EVA Air, and CX.

Air India in the far out, Korea Air, CX, Lufthansa, and UPS Cargo in the background.

Qatar Airways, Shanghai, and Cathay Pacific lined up in Gates 1, 2, 3.

A continue push back for Vietnam Air... JAL, JET, Lufthansa, and China Eastern in the back.

Main entrance for Hong Kong International Airport, filled with people.

Today's gate is located at 26, so did not take the shuttle. On the left is CX to Los Angeles while the right is China Eastern to Shanghai.

Royal Brunei on the right and a bunch of familiar airlines on the left.

British Airways' 744 on the side.

From the left to the right in a V shape, KA, CI, MU, Royal Brunei, KA, MU.

This is also an aircraft heading for Taipei that's an A343!!! I wish this is my aircraft as the Dynasty cabin has way better pitch and the speed is faster. They did also get delayed for about 30 minutes (better than our 2 hours). Since A343 is faster, they arrived like 5 minutes after we did in Taipei.

Dragon Air livery.

Cathay Pacific aircraft preparing for taxi after push back.

Another picture of JAL and Air India from the escalator.

Another CX aircraft preparing for taxi after push back.

Final call for boarding to Taipei at Gate 26.

But!!! I saw some other aircrafts!! Therefore, I took these pictures even after I saw final call xD It's Singapore Airlines and South Africa Air in the back.

B-18302... today's replacement aircraft.... a A333... much worse than a 744.
My free first class seat is gone!!! Not fair!!! xD

PTV on board... doesn't look like 10.4". It's not placed at a great spot as the light from outside reflects on it unless you close the sunshades.

View of the aircraft. The cabin is full today even in Dynasty as well! We can see the pitch is much worse than A343... but I still think it's better than 74B Dynasty though.

Pre-flight drink... OJ, Apple Juice, and Water were offered along with mixed nuts. I took Apple Juice today.

Refreshment Menu... today is the fourth week. This is the Chinese version.

...menu in English (note the 31th? xD)

Menu for wines and drinks, not a photocopied version this time.

Outside the window after we take off from Hong Kong.

FA serving our side is named Wen, she is serving our meal back to back.
Service is acceptable, will add water automatically and ask if extra wine is needed.

I took the noodle option, not bad. The overview did not include the bread and the wine as they are presented afterwards.

As usual, we will get a picture of everything. There's fish and shrimp inside.

Melon, apple, and pitaya. The serving size has been shrinking every single time I get on the flight...

Cheesecake tart. It's a bit too sweet so i did not finish it. But that's also a result of having too much to eat since 11:30 am. Flower tea served later was not pictured.

Arriving at TPE, a great scene (not included in the Chinese version due to regulations).

Thank you for your participation!

[Edited 2008-06-30 02:09:35]

phileet92

RE: CZ Y & CI C: CAN-HKG-TPE

Mon Jun 30, 2008 3:37 pm

Quoting Coolfish1103 (Thread starter):
A continue push back for Vietnam Air... JAL, JET, Lufthansa, and China Eastern in the back

Thats a Malaysia Airlines aircraft not China Eastern

Anyone know what that construction in that picture of the BA 744 is?

musapapaya

Mon Jun 30, 2008 7:24 pm

This is also an aircraft heading for Taipei that's an A343!!! I wish this is my aircraft as the Dynasty cabin has way better pitch and the speed is faster. They did also get delayed for about 30 minutes (better than our 2 hours). Since A343 is faster, they arrived like 5 minutes after we did in Taipei.

What aircraft is slower than an A343? hehehe
Lufthansa Group of Airlines

coolfish1103
Topic Author

Mon Jun 30, 2008 7:41 pm

Quoting Phileet92 (Reply 1):
Thats a Malaysia Airlines aircraft not China Eastern

Sorry, I thought that was a China Eastern Aircraft.
Another variety of airlines added.

Quoting Musapapaya (Reply 2):
What aircraft is slower than an A343? hehehe

I think what I wrote implied something seriously wrong... so let me clarify what I really wanted to say.

A333 maximum speed is faster than A343 (that's why CI should be getting rid of them very soon), but they arrived right after our aircraft and they left Hong Kong at least 30 minutes later than us, so they are faster when they are in the air. I wanted to be on this aircraft cause the time I spend on the air is shorter, and the cabin is much better as well.

B-HXB

Mon Jun 30, 2008 10:31 pm

Quoting Phileet92 (Reply 1):
Anyone know what that construction in that picture of the BA 744 is?

That is the site of the new North Satellite Concourse, which will have 10 airbridge-served stands for small (B737/A320) size aircraft, to relieve pressure from the large aircraft stands along the main terminal. It is scheduled to be completed in late 2009.

andaman

Mon Jun 30, 2008 11:10 pm

Thank you for the TR, excellent pics! All those food pictures made me really hungry, I love Gyoza myself...

innair aircraft to Helsinki. I was surprised that they also fly to CAN...

In China they fly to CAN, PEK, PVG and HKG.
Chinese cookie in SFO: "You're doomed to a life of forever travelling abroad and to be able to afford it!"

coolfish1103
Topic Author

Wed Jul 02, 2008 6:38 pm

Quoting Andaman (Reply 5):
Thank you for the TR, excellent pics! All those food pictures made me really hungry, I love Gyoza myself...

In China they fly to CAN, PEK, PVG and HKG.

The Gyozas were really good... didn't expect it from Airport Fast Food Chain stored.

I thought CAN was an inferior destination to serve, that's why was surprising. However, I guess my feelings about it being inferior was not way too wrong, since it's getting axed by Finnair next year.

CPH757

Wed Jul 02, 2008 10:21 pm

As I go through the security, I find it pointless in a way as they just use those security check bar on every passenger from head to toe even if the passengers did not get a beep when they go through those machines. It caused a long line there...

Well, usually CAN security is a delight, as they pretty much don't care, at least not in the domestic finger. I once managed to slip through with my friends passport (Chinese airports check ID prior to the metal detector) and my own ticket (unintended, had the wrong one handed back at check-in). They didn't notice even though the compared ticket and passport.

Quoting Coolfish1103 (Reply 6):
I thought CAN was an inferior destination to serve, that's why was surprising. However, I guess my feelings about it being inferior was not way too wrong, since it's getting axed by Finnair next year.

I didn't know that it will be axed. That's a shame. A very cheap and fast way to reach CAN from Northern Europe. It have been running for at least 3-4 years now. Sometime with bad loads, sometime with quite good loads, but it has always been possible to get a quite good deal on that flight, so probably not very yielding.
Last flight: SAW-CPH on H9 on 02/11/09 - Next Flights: 23/12/09 CPH-AAL on QI, 30/12/09 CPH-LHR on SK, 19/01/10 CPH-CDG-

andaman

Thu Jul 03, 2008 2:23 am

Quoting CPH757 (Reply 7):
since it's getting axed by Finnair next year.

Quoting CPH757 (Reply 7):
I didn't know that it will be axed. That's a shame.

Actually AY's press release says: "Flights to Guangzhou will be discontinued at the start of the winter schedule", meaning coming October.
At the moment their web site shows the flights are available again next summer season. But of course, hard to say how the markets look then...
Chinese cookie in SFO: "You're doomed to a life of forever travelling abroad and to be able to afford it!"