Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Qantasistheway
Topic Author

First Report - BA To TXL

Mon Jul 07, 2008 7:59 pm

This is my first trip report on a.net. I have been reading trip reports for quite a while now and also quite like the websites other forums so I thought I would sign up and start up my own collection. I decided to take an easy first trip report and a great opportunity came up in the form of a trip from my new home in London to Berlin to watch my national team, Germany play in the final of the Euro. I'm still young and as this is my first report any constructive criticism is appreciated, and please don't be too harsh!

BA991 - LHR TXL
29/06/08

It started out on a Sunday morning at the start of my school summer holidays. The family awoke at about 6 o'clock for a 0855 departure to Berlin Tegel , which was booked through my dads executive club mile on BA. Its not an unusual flight and is quite easy to write about. After getting ready we left the house at 0640 to catch the Heathrow connect at 0712 from Paddington, which is a great deal cheaper than the express and only takes about 10 minutes longer. We then connected at Heathrow Central to T5 where we proceeded to check-in. It was busy this morning so we went to the First Class Check in which we are able to use thanks to my father's executive club membership. Even this took rather long as some staff members sat around doing nothing rather than checking us in. Eventually a woman awoke from her coma and decided to help us along as we decided to get on our way through security through to the airside. Security was quick for once at LHR; I guess T5 is a lot quicker than the other 4 terminals. Check in is consistent throughout the Departures area and Security is a breeze, it is not even necessary to remove a laptop from the bag anymore. Anyway, we headed to the Duty free for a bit of browsing and some purchasing for the people hosting us for the night. Then we proceeded to the First Lounge, which ironically as many know isn't really used by first class passengers as they would prefer the Concorde room. The bad news was that we had forgotten my both my Qantas Membership Card as well as my Mothers but my dad managed to talk us past the nice lady at the counter who presumed that we wouldn't be able to consume to much in that short time anyway. We thought we could prove her wrong. We were only there for about ten minutes but we all managed to use the toilets, consume two cokes, two cappuccinos, five nice bacon rolls (one of my favorite parts of traveling on BA), three muesli bars and an orange juice Big grin. After this rush we grabbed about 5 magazines and left the lounge for our boarding gate which was a nice stroll just around the corner and although our flight was delayed about 15 minutes boarding commenced shortly and one of my most pleasant trips to Heathrow ended but I do feel that T5 is a bit too much of a one man show and for airline enthusiasts it does become a bit boring as the wide-bodies are all hiding at the B and C gates, well I guess you cant have everything. We boarded through gate 26 and proceeded through the air-bridge to the plane. I took the following photos in the terminal:

Unfortunately the camera battery was very low, and my camera being a high powered Canon it did not last very long, I must be more organized next time. We took our seats, it was a low load for this Sunday flight, and we had picked row 13 for our flight the morning before. As always BA seats are comfortable and large enough for the flight, windows are standard on this A320 and we were soon taxiing to the runways past T3 and the A380 as well as the various VS birds and then got in line for take-off, no clue what runway but it was quick and soon over. We climbed to cruising altitude and I switched on my laptop to watch some episodes of Family Guy as the refreshment came and I got onto writing this report. The flight seemed to pass quickly and was very smooth with some rather witty pilots which are always a nice change from the standard announcements. Soon enough the refreshment service came around for refreshments and I took a coke and a sandwich which was Ham and Cheese in a Sweet Bun - not really my favourite so I only really ate half and finished my coke. The rest of the flight passed quickly and we were quickly on for final decent to Tegel airport. Landing was smooth and is saw a spotter that was poking his head over the fence at TXL and was snapping pictures of our plane - rather amusing the lengths some people go to for that special photo. Good Luck to him and hopefully it turned out. Now it was time to disembark and this is where I was rather puzzled. TXL seems a small airport and I wouldn't think that our baggage would come out exactly at the disembarkation gate. HMMM - strange. We then walked out the doors where we met our friend who would accompany us for the nights game my beloved home country of Germany vs Spain, a great atmosphere but not the best result. Oh well they deserved it and I won't go into that Red Card that should have been lol.
It appears that my pictures are too large for the allowed amount. Oh well, I will try for next time which will be LGW-PMI-LGW
Thanks For Reading!

Khaleej777

RE: First Report - BA To TXL

Mon Jul 07, 2008 9:27 pm

Hi there,

Congratulations on your first trip report and thanks for an entertaining read. Absolutely with you regarding the BA bacon rolls! Baggage reclaim at TXL is a little different to normal isn't it? At least there's no walking for miles to get there from the gate!

Sorry about the football result - at least you can console yourself with the fact your country qualified for Euro 2008, which is more than can be said about mine!

cheers, Khaleej777

Qantasistheway
Topic Author

RE: First Report - BA To TXL

Tue Jul 08, 2008 2:50 pm