Moderators: richierich, ua900, hOMSaR

airbuseric
Topic Author

"Europe Select" On KLM, AMS-ARN-AMS (+pics)

Wed Jul 30, 2008 4:10 pm

Hi, dear readers

It took a while to get something online again. Not due to the lack of flights taken by me, but more due to lack of time lately. Thank you for those who waited patiently for this report  Wink

Summer time in Europe, means working time for me. As I am an employee with a large Asian airline, I might have to work at other airport to cooperate or organize the handling of charter flights. Every year, my company is chartered to operate a series of charters, and I was entitled to pay a visit to Sweden on this purpose. Not bad at all, of course!

E-tickets (KL) were arranged by my collegues from the administration department, and were delivered into my mailbox a few days in advance of the actual travel. Strange enough, the outbound flight got a different class-coding then the return flight, and I was only able to check-in for Y-class. Never mind, thinking that C would be full, and as a duty-traveller, I have less rights then revenue passengers.

So, I checked in online, took one of the vacant window seats; 24A, and printed my boarding pass. I checked the airport systems and they showed PH-BGC (dlvd 28May2008) for my flight, which would mean the newest addition to the Boeing 737 fleet! I was quite happy to see this one for my flight.

July 20, 2008

Quite early for me, this Sunday morning. I arrived in the departure hall at Schiphol Airport, and was badly astonished to see queues of about 200 metres (!) for KL’s Economy class. All these people were waiting for baggage drop-off. I was really not happy with the situation, and not likely to queue. I decided to wear my airline ID, jumped through the waiting people into the Business Class area, which was more quiet. Also 2 staff travel check-in desks are located near this section, which I queued. But since I flew confirmed, I tried my luck at one of the empty drop-off points for C class, and I was served promptly.
Security was a breeze, nice for a change (AMS security people are usually a bit domineering). I checked my gate, and noticed C08 was assigned to handle my flight. During my walk down to the gate, I bought some magazines to spend my time off in my hotel room.

C concourse at Amsterdam Schiphol Airport

A less nice surprise came at the gate; I noticed an aircraft change on my flight! I would still be a new registration for me, but not on the new PH-BGC.
Meanwhile my collegues also arrived, and we had a small chat about our seating assignments. The others were all seated in C, and therefore I tried my luck at the counter. They informed me about a ticketing error but couldn’t change it at this stage. They advised me to introduce myself with the purser during boarding (she was informed about my case by groundstaff).

My aircraft, Boeing 737-800(WL) PH-BXK prior to boarding

AMS-ARN
Flight No.: KL1109 Date: 20JUL08
STD: 0920 ATD: 0921
STA: 1120 ATA: 1114
A/C: Boeing 737-800(WL) Reg No.: PH-BXK
Seat: 24A – Economy Class, change to 02F (Europe Select)

This was my 35th ride on a series –800 Boeing 737 and the first time on this frame.

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Jules Meulemans

After my try at the counter finished, I boarded immediately. A friendly female purser greeted my during embarkation, and I introduced myself to her. She confirmed a mis-ticketing and offered my an upgrade to any available seat in C. Since 02F remained empty, I decided to take this window seat. The rest of my row was empty for the rest of the flight.

Doors closed on time, and a welcome was given by the purser, in Dutch, English, and Swedish (!) language. I was positively surprised by her skills in Swedish. KLM,  thumbsup !

Also the captain said hello. He informed about our departure runway, the weather, the route to be flown (we would avoid Danish Airspace due to radar construction works) and the short flighttime (estimated 1:35hrs).

Meanwhile, a selection of (international) newspapers were offered, including the Sunday issue of the ‘Telegraaf’.

Pushback on schedule, and we had to taxi to runway 36L, using the ‘South’ taxiway and parallel to runway 36C. Some rainshowers passed the airport.

Until takeoff, no further service was given to C class. No pre-flight drink etc.

Takeoff was powerful, and I enjoyed watching outside. I was able to see the city of Amsterdam on my right side. Lot of clouds as well, which let me decide to continue reading.

Taking off from runway 36L

A view outside after take-off

Service started shortly after we reached a calmer stage of the flight. Hot towels were given out. Followed by a selection of water and juices. I really prefer the orange juice served by KL in C-class over any other inflight OJ. It seems to be freshly squeezed and taste is very good!

Another juice was given later.

Then the breakfast was served to all passengers, except me. The purser came to apologize that she was out of meals and they didn’t have a spare one for me. Instead of a tray, I was offered 2 sandwiches from Economy class, wrapped in plastic. What can I say about that; although I shouldn’t expect anything, a legacy carrier should always have one or more spare meals available in case they will have ‘show-go’ on the flight. Last minute additional (revenue) passengers might expect the same treatment on a carrier like KL, I think.
Anyway, I took the sandwiches (one with strawberry jam, the other cheese), and got another juice, and a coffee.

By the way; seating in KL Europe Select C-class is 3-3, same as Economy offers. All seats are for sale, also middle seats  crowded  . The cabin on my flight was set with 15 seats, occupied by 2 revenue pax and 4 non-rev’s (me and collegues). Economy was pretty fully loaded, with at least one seat available (to be 24A LOL!)

Blue is in the Air

Rest of the flight was uneventful. No good views down to earth. To many clouds around. During approach, we got a pre-landing informations about our arrival gate (gate no. 13) and the local weather forecast.

Getting closer in to ARN / Stockholm Airport

We softly touched the Arlanda concrete of runway 19R. Parking was indeed in front of ‘SkyCity’ at gate 13. I later discovered that my hotel room would be facing this apron. Other traffic around was mainly all Scandinavian (SAS, Air Express, Sterling, Nordic etc.).
Baggage took about 20 minutes to arrive, but it was delivered without fail, and that’s most important!

During my stay I was able to pay a afternoon visit to downtown Stockholm, enjoyed the cleanliness of this city and took the “Under the Bridges of Stockholm” 1:50hrs boat tour. This is a city to visit again!
Info for airline staff; the Arlanda Express trainservice offers a 50% discount to airline staff (ID ticket), which is quite worth it.

The actual handling of my flight went without troubles, so the overall experience was successful and we had an ‘ahead of schedule’ departure. This is how we like it. After my work, I finalized the flighthandling (documents, after briefing etc.) and said goodbye to the local people involved with it.

Meanwhile, date should be set to July 22, 2008. Time to fly back home!

I check myself in for seat 04A, confirmed in C, this time. Baggage checked in at the counter. Priority label was attached without fail, and I got information about where to find the lounge.

Still 90 minutes to spend, me and a collegue quickly passed security and headed for the Menzies lounge at ARN. Once we checked in the lounge, we found a poor selection of food. Only some crisps and nuts, some cheese and small cookies available. Of course a normal selection of drinks. Also (I think free) PC’s with internet. The lounge looked cheaply furnished and colour settings were not my personal taste. On the other side, it offered a few good seats with nice views on the apron. And a good chat with a collegue always helps to enjoy the time in a lounge.

Menzies Lounge at Arlanda Airport

Menzies Lounge Arlanda

Menzies Lounge Arlanda ; view on the apron

My aircraft to serve ARNAMS, an old-generation Boeing 737

Once back at the crowded gate no. 12, boarding was announced at 17.10hrs, 20 minutes before departure. Greeted by a very friendly purser. I took my seat. In front of me (3A/3C) 2 very loud speaking American citizens, which reclined seats immediately. I decided to move on to 05A, last row in the C-class cabin.

ARN-AMS
Flight No.: KL1116 Date: 22JUL08
STD: 1730 ATD: 1740
STA: 1935 ATA: 1923
A/C: Boeing 737-400 Reg No.: PH-BDR
Seat: 04A – Business Class, change to 05A

This was my 9th ride on a Boeing 737-400 and the second time on this PH-BDR..
Also my 91st time on any Boeing 737  Wink Quite an impressive number of times already.

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Spencer Wilmot

Bye Bye Stockholm!

The cabin was hot inside, apologies from the crew and information about a broken APU. After engine start it would become more comfortable. Also newspapers offered in C. Welcome by the purser in Enlish and Dutch.
Load in Europe Select; 9 pax out of 27 seats (33%) of which only 4 revenue pax. The other were my team mates.
Late block-out, due to startup with the use of a jetstarter. Short taxiing although, we used runway 19R.

Climbing into the air!

Europe Select class was served by the purser. This was a more senior female, and she is for sure a person who knows how to treat passengers. She gave so much attention to me (and the others), that it almost didn’t look like the general KL service. This flight was to become a really good experience!

First drink was offered; I ordered white wine. When it came, she also gave an additional glass of water, and a small bag of smoked almonds. I now firstly noticed her extra attention into details.

First drink service

Not long after, she handed me a hot towel and asked me about the dinner. She served beef, or pasta meals. I asked if any pork/meat was used in the pasta, and she confirmed it was vegetarian. Good for me, so I opted for the pasta. When it came, on a tray, she also presented another bottle of white wine. She said, Mr. M.., you will like another wine together with your meal. There you go!
The meal itself was good. It was called ‘Fiochetti Mediterranean’. Temperature was alright, presentation was good. Also 2 pieces of bread were given to me. Only negative opinion is about the cutlery used; it were plastics. That just doesn’t belong in any Business Class.

Dinner time on KL1116 + another white wine

Meanwhile we experienced some turbulence, and the captain informed us about it, and it was due to changing winds at high altitude.

Together with the meal came a starter; Pork Medaillon with wasabi-cream and dried fruit, accompanied by carrot-ginger coulis and green asparagus (I didn’t eat it), and a dessert; Coconut & raspberry dessert with green-apple sauce (taste was very good!).

When I finished, the tray was collected almost immediately. This purser was checking her cabin for the whole time without resting. She was really looking after us!

She approached me again, and offered an after-dinner drink. I decided for a baileys with ice. When she delivered it to me, in a longdrink glass filled for over 50%, and another miniatur bottle of baileys, I gave her my compliments about her good service. She was very pleased to hear that.
She immediately came back to my seat, and offered now ice-cream as well. A large Ben&Jerry’s Strawberry Cheese-Cake was given to me!

Ben&Jerry’s + Baileys on KLM’s ‘Europe Select’

I continued reading in the newspapers, watched outside the now and then, and purchased a new fragrance from the onboard sales cart.

Closer to Amsterdam, during the initial approach, the purser came again with a coffee and cookie (Crispy biscuit with caramel filling).

A coffee to finish the flight to Amsterdam!

We approached from the Northeast, over Groningen. By the way; complete routing of the flight was: ARN-NYO-BLL-GRQ-LLY-AMS.

The purser cleaned up the empty cup and we had a nice chat about my work and her stay at Stockholm. She even took a seat next to me during this conversation. Then, she had to do pre-landing announcements so she left again. After the announcements were made, she came again and offered me 2 bottles champagne  champagne  , to enjoy at home with my partner, since I’ve been away from home a few days! Wow, can you believe this?! Also other passengers were now offered a bottle of wine or champagne to take home. Some pax declined, others accepted.

It seems that we’re getting close to AMS. Amsterdam ArenA (home of Ajax)

Landing was coming closer since we flew already over the city of Amsterdam/Amstelveen. Runway 27 was assigned for us. It went smoothly and a short ride towards the terminal complex. Gate D44 (D72 Schengen) was our final destination. Upon disembarking, I gave my compliments for another time, said Thank You, and goodbye. Bags were delivered on the belt at 19:55hrs, 30 minutes after landing.

Conclusion; AMS-ARN was good. Staff was really friendly and assisted me into C, despite the wrong ticketing by their reservation staff. Not good that they got out of meals, which means even not 1 backup meal on this flight, which is quite risky. Service was not personal at all, and crew was not very attentive, but gave the standard KL service for C class.
ARN-AMS is a different story. It all depends on the crewmembers. The purser on my flight was top-class! She deserves compliments, as she really cared about her passengers. She also said to me; when I fly myself, I also want to be treated like this. This is an important thing! I experienced so much attention, very personal service (calling me by name all the time), and food/drink service was just perfect.
Nice to get the presents to take home, being 2 bottles of champagne. This was KLM as I never experienced them before on any other short-haul flight in C/Europe Select Class. This is how it should be forever!  up 

Thanks to KLM, thanks to you as well, for reading. Comments, questions, please post them here and I will reply to you again!

Cheers,
Eric
"The whole world steps aside for the man who knows where he is going"

super737

RE: "Europe Select" On KLM, AMS-ARN-AMS (+pics)

Wed Jul 30, 2008 4:40 pm

That was a fantastic report to read and Im glad you had a good time on the way back. Now if only all FAs were like that!
If its not a super tractor its not a plane

airbuseric
Topic Author

Wed Jul 30, 2008 4:47 pm

Hi Super737

Quoting Super737 (Reply 1):
That was a fantastic report to read

Thanks for that!

Quoting Super737 (Reply 1):
Now if only all FAs were like that!

I think it takes a while to meet another FA like her!

Cheers,
Eric

FLIEGER67

Wed Jul 30, 2008 8:24 pm

Hi, Eric,

great story and pix, btw, nothing else expected.

Sounds you had a good time beneath your work there in Stockholm.
I like this city, too.

Quoting Airbuseric (Thread starter):
This was my 35th ride on a series –800 Boeing 737 and the first time on this frame.

35 and a new reg, not bad.

. The purser came to apologize that she was out of meals and they didn’t have a spare one for me.

Unbelievable, not a single extra meal, think about another upgrade or else, strange.

This was my 9th ride on a Boeing 737-400 and the second time on this PH-BDR..

OK, the second time, but the rare 737-400, so its worth it from my point of view.

Sounds like a real good, for sure not an everyday experience on your flight back home,
also my way, special service needs special thanks to the crew.

Thanx for posting, ARN is also on the way in early September, you know, hopefully
with an experience like yours on KL Cityhopper,
Markus (FLIEGER67)
Tripreporter.net

burnsie28

Wed Jul 30, 2008 8:42 pm

Great report, I flew KL Europe Select FRA-AMS on the F100, despite it being somewhat dissapointing that it was all coach seats, compared to here in the US where they are large seats, the service was fantastic and the small meal or snack box we got rather was very nice.

ba319-131

Wed Jul 30, 2008 9:07 pm

Hi Eric,

Nice read and pictures, thanks, enjoyed the trip.

Security was a breeze, nice for a change (AMS security people are usually a bit domineering).

- I know, usually get felt up!

This was my 35th ride on a series –800 Boeing 737

- Wow, decent numbers, I have 3!

a legacy carrier should always have one or more spare meals available in case they will have ‘show-go’ on the flight. Last minute additional (revenue) passengers might expect the same treatment on a carrier like KL, I think.

- Agreed, they really should carry 1 spare.

By the way; seating in KL Europe Select C-class is 3-3, same as Economy offers. All seats are for sale, also middle seats

- Why on earth they don't follow others and do a 2-3 or 2-2??

my 91st time on any Boeing 737

- Big time number, soon at that magic 100!

Regards

Mark
111 732 733 734 735 736 73G 738 739,7M8 BBJ 741 742 743 744 752 753 762 763 764 772 77L 773 77W L15 D10 D30 D40 AB3 AB6 312 313 318 319 320 20N 321 21N 332 333 342 343 345 346 359 351 388 CS1 CS3 I86 154 SSJ CRJ CR7 CR9 CRK 145 170 175 220

airbuseric
Topic Author

Wed Jul 30, 2008 9:11 pm

Hi, Markus

Quoting FLIEGER67 (Reply 3):
great story and pix, btw, nothing else expected.

Thank you! After I woke up from a nightshift, I found some time to put all this together  Wink

Unbelievable, not a single extra meal, think about another upgrade or else, strange.

I really can't complain on any of these duty flights, although, from a customer point of few it's pretty bad planning, indeed!

Thanx for posting, ARN is also on the way in early September, you know, hopefully
with an experience like yours on KL Cityhopper,

You'll fly some Fokkers I think. Although I've read somewhere that AMS-ARN will also see the first E90 once delivered. I wonder if STR will also be on the list of destinations for this new bird.
I think that our THF trip will also include a KLC ride on either F50 or F100, AMS-BRU  Silly

@ Chris,

Quoting Burnsie28 (Reply 4):
Great report,

Thanks!

Quoting Burnsie28 (Reply 4):
I flew KL Europe Select FRA-AMS on the F100, despite it being somewhat dissapointing that it was all coach seats, compared to here in the US where they are large seats, the service was fantastic and the small meal or snack box we got rather was very nice.

Yes, I understand your feelings. KL offers not the best C class in Europe since they sell all seats. Other carriers, e.g. LH, BA or even AF, leave the middle seats (B & E) vacant, for more privacy and space. I have the feeling that also inflight service might differ on many occassions. This was by far my best experience so far with them, shorthaul. Other flights in C were just 'basic'.

Cheers,
Eric

airbuseric
Topic Author

Wed Jul 30, 2008 9:16 pm

Hi, Mark

Quoting BA319-131 (Reply 5):
Nice read and pictures, thanks, enjoyed the trip.

Thanks for that  Smile

Wow, decent numbers, I have 3!

You most probably win with A319's :P and many others

Why on earth they don't follow others and do a 2-3 or 2-2??

Because they're still 'Dutch' and we always do 'our own way' Big grin And KL is still earning money with their strategy, so why should they change. Believe me, when I have to choose myself, I won't fly them (as a paying passenger), and prefer a Star Alliance carrier usually.

Big time number, soon at that magic 100!

I'll go for that 'magic 100' this year, I think. Numbers '92' '93' and '94' are already booked  Wink

c-ya @ BRU,

Cheers,
Eric

ba319-131

Wed Jul 30, 2008 10:08 pm

Hey Eric,

Quoting Airbuseric (Reply 7):
Wow, decent numbers, I have 3!

You most probably win with A319's

- Perhaps  Smile

Because they're still 'Dutch' and we always do 'our own way' And KL is still earning money with their strategy, so why should they change. Believe me, when I have to choose myself, I won't fly them (as a paying passenger), and prefer a Star Alliance carrier usually.

- So funny! I get the Start stuff to a degree, I have found BMI has an excellent reward program  Smile

Big time number, soon at that magic 100!

I'll go for that 'magic 100' this year, I think. Numbers '92' '93' and '94' are already booked

- Well done, look forward to the report's and the 100th flight!

See you 8/10 for the THF flight  Smile

Regards

Mark
111 732 733 734 735 736 73G 738 739,7M8 BBJ 741 742 743 744 752 753 762 763 764 772 77L 773 77W L15 D10 D30 D40 AB3 AB6 312 313 318 319 320 20N 321 21N 332 333 342 343 345 346 359 351 388 CS1 CS3 I86 154 SSJ CRJ CR7 CR9 CRK 145 170 175 220

stylo777

Wed Jul 30, 2008 11:07 pm

hey eric, nice report and great pix!

I find it strange that KLM sell all three seats in EU-SE! The common standard nowadays is two with the middle seat remain empty. I know only LOT which do the same...

Info for airline staff; the Arlanda Express trainservice offers a 50% discount to airline staff (ID ticket), which is quite worth it.

thats great! how do you get your ticket?

thanks for posting!

doei!

burnsie28

Thu Jul 31, 2008 2:47 am

Quoting Airbuseric (Reply 6):
Yes, I understand your feelings. KL offers not the best C class in Europe since they sell all seats. Other carriers, e.g. LH, BA or even AF, leave the middle seats (B & E) vacant, for more privacy and space. I have the feeling that also inflight service might differ on many occassions.

This is what I don't understand, if you are not going to sell the middle seat, why not put in seats like US carriers have, 4 large seats instead of the 6 standard economy sized seats?

stylo777

Thu Jul 31, 2008 7:44 am

Quoting Burnsie28 (Reply 10):
This is what I don't understand, if you are not going to sell the middle seat, why not put in seats like US carriers have, 4 large seats instead of the 6 standard economy sized seats?

this gives them more flexibility

airbuseric
Topic Author

Thu Jul 31, 2008 9:48 am

Hi, again,

With normal economy seats in use for business, they can use a seperation curtain and set the cabin divider at any row. Even at outbound stations, crew might change the cabin settings, all depending on the loads.
But, even now, they should not sell the middle seats in my opinion.

Hi Ori,

Quoting Stylo777 (Reply 9):
nice report and great pix!

Thanks!

thats great! how do you get your ticket?

Go to the Airport Information desk (also kind of Tourist Information) and buy your tickets at the desk by showing your ID. Normal price for a single is SEK220 (about EUR 24,-), so any discount on this price is welcome for the short 20 minutes ride downtown  Wink

I know only LOT which do the same...

Another reason to avoid LOT then  Wink

Gruß
Eric

AA737-823

Thu Jul 31, 2008 10:43 am

It all depends on the crewmembers.

This is nearly always the case.
You've uncovered the secret to aviation.
Now if you could explain it to 5 of 10 flight attendants at ANY and ALL airlines in the US of A, I'd appreciate it.
And so would millions of other American travelers.

Quick question:
If I've booked a KLM Cityhopper flight AMS-BRS in August, could I upgrade to business class at all, or is it too late to make that change?

airbuseric
Topic Author

Thu Jul 31, 2008 11:30 am

Hi

Quoting AA737-823 (Reply 13):
Quick question:
If I've booked a KLM Cityhopper flight AMS-BRS in August, could I upgrade to business class at all, or is it too late to make that change?

I think it would be possible to upgrade. But BRS is served by Fokkers, and a very short flight as well, don't expect too much from the service on this route, even in C.
Last year, I flew C on a KLC Fokker 100 (AMS-BRU) and was served only a juice (in plastic cup) and a small cookie.
I doubt if an upgrade is worth it for you.

sk601

Thu Jul 31, 2008 12:57 pm

Not good that they got out of meals, which means even not 1 backup meal on this flight, which is quite risky

The gate agent didnot change your seat from m to c-class. If he/she did change that, than the catering dept will get the final pax numbers and can see that there was 1 more c-class pap as booked. Catering than bring an extra meal to the plane (there are some catering trucks with "last-minute delivery" on them). This all hapens appr 20 minutes before departure, when the flight closes for check-in (intercontinental:appr 30 minutes). Any last-minute passengers have bad luck: no meal! They are then given the choice: go and no meal, or wait for the next plane. So basically, if a commercial passenger checks in before the flight closes, there is always a "meal" (well, something to bite) for him/her.
If a flight is oversold in m-class by let's say 5 passengers, and c-class has 5 open seats, then the catering department will put 5 extra meals on for c-class, because there is a possibility that 5 pax will be "upgraded".
This strict procedure saves KL a lot of money. An extra meal on every flight will mean over 300 meals a day, that most likely are NOT needed!

Service was not personal at all, and crew was not very attentive

Ehhh, the purser did allow you to sit "upfront". She could have said also, to sort the ticket issue out with a gate/ticket agent. Besides that she welcomed the pax in Swedish, which is quite personal for the swedish passengers.

By the way; seating in KL Europe Select C-class is 3-3, same as Economy offers. All seats are for sale, also middle seats

KL is critized for this ALL the time! And I understand. It is a "poor show", especially compared to BA european product and even AF, but on the other side, KL DOES make good money out of it. The 3-3 config in C-class exists now for maybe 6 or 7 years, and still no huge decline in passengers, maybe because the Dutch business man has no choice?

airbuseric
Topic Author

Thu Jul 31, 2008 1:10 pm

Hi, SK601

Quoting SK601 (Reply 15):
This strict procedure saves KL a lot of money. An extra meal on every flight will mean over 300 meals a day, that most likely are NOT needed!

Fully understandable, from my point of view. No complaints here, from my side. Although, in case of a commercial passenger, paying a lot of money, with a mostly full flexible C class ticket (so flexible enough to change flights), I won't be happy to be on the plane without the normal service for your class of travel.

Ehhh, the purser did allow you to sit "upfront". She could have said also, to sort the ticket issue out with a gate/ticket agent.

True. That was very kind, but I was basically directed to check with her after instructions from the gate agent. The issue was already known by KL groundstaff for some reason, but she couldn't change the booking (flight was closed already). On the other side, ticketing was also a bit wrong in this case. Problem was well solved by the purser. No complaints.

Besides that she welcomed the pax in Swedish, which is quite personal for the swedish passengers.

As I mentioned in the report, I found this also great service provided on this particular flight.

The 3-3 config in C-class exists now for maybe 6 or 7 years, and still no huge decline in passengers, maybe because the Dutch business man has no choice?

Business people usually don't pay their own tickets, and they can't really complain to their employers about this issue. I have the feeling that the independent travellers choose another airline sooner, then flying the (expensive) KL.

Thanks for reading, and your comments  Smile

OA260

Thu Jul 31, 2008 9:12 pm

Excellent report Eric. Nice pics also. Great you got C both ways. The service was great. Nice Baileys on Ice also  Wink Its my drink of choice on flights.

Great to see KLM are giving good service.

Thanks again

Philip

airbuseric
Topic Author

Fri Aug 01, 2008 3:44 pm

Hiya, Philip!

Quoting OA260 (Reply 17):
Excellent report Eric. Nice pics also.

Thank You!

Quoting OA260 (Reply 17):
Nice Baileys on Ice also Its my drink of choice on flights.

Great to see KLM are giving good service.

I was pleasantly surprised with them, and yes, when in C, Baileys is always on my list  drunk .

Cheers,
Eric

infodesk

Fri Aug 01, 2008 7:34 pm

What fantastic service on the way back. That really is what flying is all about. And to see it offered in this day and age is just great. I bet the flight attendant sleeps well at night knowing what a good job she's done!

Great read, thanks  Smile

Infodesk
"Do nothing in haste, look well to each step and from the beginning think what may be the end" - Edward Whymper

airbuseric
Topic Author

Fri Aug 01, 2008 9:52 pm

Hi, Infodesk,

Thanks for reading  Smile

Quoting Infodesk (Reply 19):
I bet the flight attendant sleeps well at night knowing what a good job she's done!

She is for me the best cabin attendant/purser ever since, for shorthaul. That's why she got my compliments, because she understands her duty very well.  thumbsup .

Gruß
Eric

PlaneHunter

Sat Aug 02, 2008 7:24 am

Very detailed report with good pictures, as usual, Eric!

The meal itself was good. It was called ‘Fiochetti Mediterranean’. Temperature was alright, presentation was good. Also 2 pieces of bread were given to me. Only negative opinion is about the cutlery used; it were plastics. That just doesn’t belong in any Business Class.

And the bowls were made of porcelain? Probably it would be a better idea to use high-quality plastic bowls together with metal cutlery.

Together with the meal came a starter; Pork Medaillon with wasabi-cream and dried fruit, accompanied by carrot-ginger coulis and green asparagus (I didn’t eat it), and a dessert; Coconut & raspberry dessert with green-apple sauce (taste was very good!).

Looks very tasty, especially the medaillon with wasabi cream.

After the announcements were made, she came again and offered me 2 bottles champagne champagne , to enjoy at home with my partner, since I’ve been away from home a few days! Wow, can you believe this?! Also other passengers were now offered a bottle of wine or champagne to take home. Some pax declined, others accepted.

Great! I understand that you got the bottles after praising the service - but why all the others? They could have used the bottles on another flight.
Btw - I also got a big bottle of champaigne on a US Airways MUC-PHL flight, even in Eco. Great FA, too.

More flexibility helps to avoid empty seats. And don't forget you can also increase the biz class section enormously if needed = great for yields.

PH
Nothing's worse than flying the same reg twice!

airbuseric
Topic Author

Sat Aug 02, 2008 8:29 am

Thanks, PlaneHunter;

Quoting PlaneHunter (Reply 21):
And the bowls were made of porcelain?

No, bowls were also some kind of plastic material, but looking ok for their purpose.

Looks very tasty, especially the medaillon with wasabi cream.

I can't tell you, sorry  Wink

I understand that you got the bottles after praising the service - but why all the others? They could have used the bottles on another flight.

I think the others only got 1, she gave me 2. It's dangerous when you don't treat all pax the same, that might be the reason to give all pax this 'service'. Otherwise, indirect, some pax might decide to complain in some way to KL.

Btw - I also got a big bottle of champaigne on a US Airways MUC-PHL flight, even in Eco. Great FA, too.

hehe, that's great! Did you have a nice chat with her too  chat 

And don't forget you can also increase the biz class section enormously if needed = great for yields.

Indeed, agree with you. But great for yields, is still 'bad for the passenger'. Airlines should refrain from doing such things. You would almost have no space anymore to eat your C-class meal then. But probably KL will switch to a 'some kind of sandwich service' in the future  Silly

Bye!
Eric

LH4116

Sat Aug 02, 2008 12:16 pm

Hello Eric!
A very nice and interesting TR, it's not very often i see a Europe Select report.
To me it was quite strange that KL have six abreast in C.
The food on the return sector looked very nice, though it looked a bit like long haul Y class food. The Ben and Jerry's ice cream was a nice touch IMO.
P.s i was actually at ARN the exact same day at the exact same time and i took some pics of the apron at the exact same time as you did.
You will see more of it in the roport of my trip to PRG.

Thanks for sharing!
SAS Plus is Business Class made faux!

StefanPAD

Sat Aug 02, 2008 3:40 pm

Hi Eric!

Fantastic report. It seems that you got instead of two C-Class legs one Y service on the outbound flight and a double C-Class service on the return flight  Wink

From 19th till 21st July I stayed at AMS. I was spotting around the runways and checked out the "new" spots at the Polderbaan. But your departure was too early in the morning. At this time I had breakfast at the Ibis Airport on the top floor with a view on the active runway 27 (landings).

Thanks for sharing.
Stefan

airbuseric
Topic Author

Sat Aug 02, 2008 8:08 pm

Hi,
thanks for your reading and reply,

Quoting LH4116 (Reply 23):
A very nice and interesting TR, it's not very often i see a Europe Select report

I thought so too  Smile

The food on the return sector looked very nice, though it looked a bit like long haul Y class food. The Ben and Jerry's ice cream was a nice touch IMO.

Carriers like OS and LX offer better meals and presentation for their C class meals on European sectors. But nowadays, with Y class products so poor, these C-class experiences still give a nice touch  Wink

.s i was actually at ARN the exact same day at the exact same time and i took some pics of the apron at the exact same time as you did.
You will see more of it in the roport of my trip to PRG.

Looking forward to it! I hope to see some pics of PH-BDR then as well  Wink btw, did you manage to picture the JL flight departing at 2.30pm ?

Quoting StefanPAD (Reply 24):
It seems that you got instead of two C-Class legs one Y service on the outbound flight and a double C-Class service on the return flight

Revenge by KL. Maybe they knew and treated me well back home  Silly

From 19th till 21st July I stayed at AMS. I was spotting around the runways and checked out the "new" spots at the Polderbaan.

Nice! btw, they really should cut the bushes around that Polderbaan. Making some quality pictures gets more and more difficult now.

But your departure was too early in the morning. At this time I had breakfast at the Ibis Airport on the top floor with a view on the active runway 27

Next time, I expect you to skip that breakfast and come over there  laughing 

Cheers,
Eric

LH4116

Sun Aug 03, 2008 1:46 pm

Quoting Airbuseric (Reply 25):
Looking forward to it! I hope to see some pics of PH-BDR then as well btw, did you manage to picture the JL flight departing at 2.30pm ?

Noooooo! I missed the JL flight, that was maybe a once in a lifetime experience, or maybe not. I arrived at the airport at 3.25pm. I did only take a pic of the OS F100. BTW did you see my OK 735 take off?
SAS Plus is Business Class made faux!

rogerbcn

Sun Aug 03, 2008 3:56 pm

Hola Eric!

Tanks for this new TR.

I am glad you got a C upgrade on both flights.

The 3-3 seating has always confused me. Last time I flew KL, 2 years ago, the cabin was pretty full but FAs arranged it so everybody could have the middle seat empty. The benefit of having the curtain separation.

Another thing that puzzled me was the use of plastic silverware... come on! I had them on a LH flight as well.... Another downgrade on service.

Ben&Jerry’s + Baileys on KLM’s ‘Europe Select’

Great choice! Although I personally prefer something drier.

It seems that we’re getting close to AMS. Amsterdam Arena (home of Ajax)

Are you a fan of football? Ajax has just signed in a former FC Barcelona player, Oleguer Presas, treat him nicely; he's a great fellow, with strong opinions on politics, very uncommon in sports nowadays.

Salut!

Roger
"At reise er at leve" H.C. Andersen (Traveling is Living)

Contact Air

Sun Aug 03, 2008 7:53 pm

Hi Eric,

very interesting report - thanks for posting it!

ARN-AMS is a different story. It all depends on the crewmembers.

I totally agree. With a good crew, you can have enjoyable flights on every airline. And your return flight on KLM seemed to be fantastic.

Regards
Christoph

airbuseric
Topic Author

Mon Aug 04, 2008 9:06 pm

Hi, again

Quoting LH4116 (Reply 26):
I missed the JL flight, that was maybe a once in a lifetime experience, or maybe not.

Probably back in 2009 for again, a few charter flights.  Wink

Quoting LH4116 (Reply 26):
BTW did you see my OK 735 take off?

Ahhh, no sorry  sorry  but I think it was a new colourscheme one, I saw it taxiing if I remember correctly. Maybe just after the CA B763 blocked in on the stands.

Quoting Rogerbcn (Reply 27):
I am glad you got a C upgrade on both flights.

Hi Roger. Basically only AMS-ARN was upgraded now, usually we fly confirmed C, as I did on the homebound flight  Wink

Another thing that puzzled me was the use of plastic silverware... come on! I had them on a LH flight as well.... Another downgrade on service.

Yeah, pretty bad. I flew LA last week and even in Y they give silverware to eat with  Wow!

Are you a fan of football?

Not really  no 
But I know Madrid will get 'Van der Vaart' now, ex Hamburg

Quoting Contact Air (Reply 28):
very interesting report - thanks for posting it!

Thanks Christoph,

Quoting Contact Air (Reply 28):
I totally agree. With a good crew, you can have enjoyable flights on every airline. And your return flight on KLM seemed to be fantastic.

So true! The crew is the most important part of the whole chain. I got back home with a good feeling, and that's what counts!

Cheers,
Eric

cgnnrw

Tue Aug 05, 2008 12:04 pm

Nice report.

I agree plastic cutlery in C class is an absolute no-no. However, I have to admit the meal itself doesn't look all that impressive. I flew KL econ class a few times in the early to mid-90s and the meals they served then looked comparable to what you got in C class. I think a lot of airlines have gone the route.....stop serving meals altoegether in Y while downgrading the C meals (using plastic cutlery, etc). Biz pax knowing that in econ all the pax are getting is a tiny sandwich at best then think they're getting something special. Just my observations....
A330 man.

airbuseric
Topic Author

Thu Aug 07, 2008 3:08 pm

Hi, Cgnnrw,

Thanks for reading!

Quoting Cgnnrw (Reply 30):
I agree plastic cutlery in C class is an absolute no-no.

Completely agree!

Quoting Cgnnrw (Reply 30):
think a lot of airlines have gone the route.....stop serving meals altoegether in Y while downgrading the C meals (using plastic cutlery, etc). Biz pax knowing that in econ all the pax are getting is a tiny sandwich at best then think they're getting something special.

Of course, with this strategy, C class will always be much better then Y, although basically servicelevels and meals are downgraded over the last years. Still, I found it a pleasant experience.

Gruß
Eric