Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

YXD172
Topic Author

Westjet Into YKF (From YEG&YYC With Many Pictures)

Sat Oct 18, 2008 2:30 am

I've been meaning to put a few TRs on here for a while, so here goes. I'll put this one up first ( six months after the fact )since AFAIK there aren't any reports into YKF ( Kitchener / Waterloo ) . It's been long enough that I forget most of the details, and this is my first report, so keep that in mind as you go through.

This is the return flight from my march break trip with my sister to visit family in Edmonton. I somehow convinced her to make a detour through YXE on the way there (I'll put that in another TR) and to return into YKF.

The return was from YEG-YYC then YYC-YKF, all on WS 737s. This being Canada, the ground still had a nice covering of snow and the air was quite cool both in Edmonton and Waterloo.

March 17 -- 2008
YEG-YYC
Flight WS80
C-GWAZ (737-700W)
ETD - 10:10 MST
ETA - 10:54 MST

As usual, we checked-in online the day before to get some good seats for both the flights (this was before WS started selling seat reservations).

Outside the terminal, looking south-ish

The a/c model display (I guess all of those airlines have flown to YEG)

On arrival at the airport we tried to go for the traditional check-in line as it would have taken about half the time as the bag drop-off, but the line agent herded us over to the longer line. Oh well, it was only five minutes anyways.

The check-in area (after we went through)

After check-in we looked around and spent a few minutes in the observation lounge (not bad for resting pre-security, but the views aren't that great and it's horrible for photography) before saying goodbye to our family there and heading through the short security line. I don't think that I've ever had to spend more than five minutes to get through security in YEG. Although they did do an extra check this time on my bad with the wipes [do any of you know what they are checking for?] that wasn't too intrusive.

The pre-security observation area -- better for waving to family than a/c spotting

Some a/c photos while I waited:

First Air/s 732 with nice tail art:

Air Malta??? In YEG??? Nope. Skyservice leased it (confused me until I saw the Skyservice titles)

Canadian North 732 Passenger

I see dirty glass! Our gate before the a/c arrived.

The older North Terminal Gate area -- not as open as AC's end, but I just as nice.

C-GWAZ arrives

Who says LCCs don't have hubs?

Post-security YEG has a fair number of shops and cafes, but as always everything but Tim Hortons is overpriced (and so the line for Timmy's is always a good ten minutes long). Our aircraft showed up at G16 at 9:33. Boarding started fifteen minutes later after the usual short WS turnaround and we got on a few minutes later. Due to the light load (~75 people) general boarding was called all at once, and people just went up when the line was short enough. It was surprisingly organized for a 'free-for-all' boarding.

After claiming our seats in the second row I notice my bag going up into the fore baggage hold. From what I could see from the tags going in there all of the connecting bags were placed up front.

Inside, looking at row 1

Just before pushback the pilots made a short announcement with the basic flight info (40 minutes at FL270) and the F/As made their introductions. And as always, the french info. and safety briefings were pre-recorded. We pushed back at 10:09 am at the end of the WS bank. We waited at Rwy. 20 for a snowy WS take-off and then departed for YYC .

During the climb

Anyone know where this is?

Inflight service was shortened as we only spent 7 minutes at cruising altitude (according the the moving map on the PTVs). The flight attendants made a quick pass with coffee and water only which took up the greater part of the flight. Then we were descending towards Calgary with the Rockies on our right.

The line-up for 28

We made a nice landing at 10:53 am on Rwy. 28 at YYC and taxiied to gate D48, right at the end of another WS 'bank'.

Parked at D48

The end of D Pier

D Pier

YYC-YKF
Flight WS 484
C-FWCC (737-700W)
ETD: 12:15 MST
ETA: 17:51 EST

My sister and I took a walk around the D pier and settled for lunch at Sbarro (pizza) in the food court.

The view during lunch

Our aircraft arrived at gate D40 just after 11:30 am so we proceeded over to the (very full) gate area.

Boarding started at noon -- with three desks open it went fast in the terminal but we had a five minute wait in the jet bridge. It turns out that this was originally the dual-bridge, but the entrance to the OTW section was boarded up.

On board we took seats in row three. The pilot Larry Shaffer and co-pilot David Kniefer announced a planned flight time of 3hr 3min at FL390 and warned us of expected turbulence on departure -- useful info. The doors were closed right on time and the engines started a few minutes later (after pushback).

Another WS bank

YYC's 'graveyard'

We took off Rwy. 28 after a ten minute taxi, and quickly passed the turbulence that we were warned of.

YYC after take-off

Service in the air was good, consisting of a drink and snack (more than on AC mainline) once at altitude and another a couple of hours later. My sis. and I kept ourselves amused with the PTVs, although I ended up reading and looking out the window most of the time since there isn't much good daytime TV (The advantage to AVOD). The moving map is also quite useful, although it doesn't always work...

Inflight

Another mystery airport -- looks to be a CF base

Fun with my new polarizer

The (working) moving map

And the malfunctioning moments

As we neared YKF the clouds came in and obscured the view -- this seems to always be the case in Ontario, especially YYZ. Just before descent, the co-pilot made a brief announcement and warned of some more possible turbulence (although it never happened this time).

Coming into YKF

We touched down on Rwy. 07 at 17:36 local, and we were off the plane by 17:44, a few minutes ahead of schedule. They brought the stairs out for us, and I was surprised to see bare metal frames waiting at the stand -- unlike the nice covered stairs found all over Europe.

After deplaning

It's not that important, but it doesn't make the airport look any better. As we got off I could see many people standing over by a fence to the left of the terminal -- only at a small airport!

Terminal - exerior views

The only arrival area

After a short walk outside we came in through the unstaffed immigration desks [I wonder what happens if an international flight arrives at the same time?]. The domestic baggage claim was still under construction at the time. So, we were waiting by the carousel for a good fifteen minutes for our bags - it seemed to be a long wait, but really wasn't that bad.

Overall impressions

Westjet is a good airline, although they don't seem so different from Air Canada anymore. The crew from YYC-YKF wasn't as enthusiastic as the one out of YEG, but they were still OK. I have to say I was annoyed at being sent to the longer line in YEG, since most of the time they don't care, but other than that everything went well. WS even seems to have their own staff at YKF -- not outsourcing at a 1-flight-per-day station is impressive. Both flights were on-time and the connection was quite easy.

As for YKF, I think it will be a very nice small airport when finished. I enjoy deplaning onto the tarmac, although I wouldn't like it so much if it were raining. The wait for bags was a pain, especially since the a/c was so close, but apart from that it's a good airport. The check-in area is nice, although with the arrivals in there too it gets a bit squished.

Outside it's a good building, with a short walk to $1/hour parking, a flight school and cafe on the other side of the parking lot.

Good views of the runway by climbing on piles of snow in the parking lot too. Seems to have a mismatched nose.

Jon

Edited for Times

[Edited 2008-10-17 19:37:49]
Radial engines don't leak oil, they are just marking their territory!

yegmaster

RE: Westjet Into YKF (From YEG&YYC With Many Pictures)

Sat Oct 18, 2008 5:21 am

Great report, thanks for that.
The first airport you are wondering about on your YEG-YYC leg appears to be
Red Deer regional.
Cheers

BW424

Sat Oct 18, 2008 7:31 pm

Very nice TR.Those metal stairs look kind of flimsy!LOL.
It is what we think we know already that prevents us from learning.......

CrimsonNL

Sun Oct 19, 2008 9:18 am

Great report, nice pictures as well!
Always comparing your flown types list with mine

YXD172
Topic Author

Mon Oct 20, 2008 12:50 am

Thanks guys!

Quoting Yegmaster (Reply 1):
The first airport you are wondering about on your YEG-YYC leg appears to be
Red Deer regional.

That makes sense, I do remember following Hwy. 2 for a while

And ya, the stairs did kind of shake while you were walking down. Still beats a Jetway IMHO.

Jon

MHTripple7

Mon Oct 20, 2008 1:21 am

Cool TR! WS looks really good.

Quoting YXD172 (Thread starter):
Canadian North 732 Passenger

I might be missing something but where is the rear PAX door? It seems to be missing.

DALCE

Mon Oct 20, 2008 7:56 am

Very nice report of a less covered airline and some new airports to the database  Smile
Also your pictures look just great!
I'm surprised in the quantity of 737-200's you saw! It's a plane I haven't seen in years!!

Thanks for sharing!
Joost ( D-ALCE )
flown: F50,F70,CR1,CR2,CR9,223,E75,E90,143,AR8,AR1,733,735,736,73G,738,
753,763,744,77W,788,319,320,321,333,AB6.

YXD172
Topic Author

Thu Oct 23, 2008 12:23 am

Joost -- you should come over to Canada sometime. Half the time there are two Canadian North 732s parked at YEG along with the odd First Air 732. There are even a few daily flights into YUL and YOW with 732. Ya, that bird is still going strong.

MHT7 -- Are your referring to the Skyservice A319? On that the rear door is just hidden by the curve of the fuselage. The 737's door is wide open

Jon

c172akula

Thu Oct 23, 2008 8:06 pm

YXD172: Great report, as for the identity of that airport on your YEG-YYC leg was it taken on the descent into Calgary? It sure looks a lot like Airdrie airport just north of YYC.

ba319-131

Fri Oct 24, 2008 9:24 pm

Nice report, enjoyed the pictures.

Tks

Mark
111 732 733 734 735 736 73G 738 739,7M8 BBJ 741 742 743 744 752 753 762 763 764 772 77L 773 77W L15 D10 D30 D40 AB3 AB6 312 313 318 319 320 20N 321 21N 332 333 342 343 345 346 359 351 388 CS1 CS3 I86 154 SSJ CRJ CR7 CR9 CRK 145 170 175 220

briboy

RE: Westjet Into YKF (From YEG&YYC With Many Pictu

Sat Oct 25, 2008 1:31 pm

The Air Force base you flew over from YYC to YKF is Minot AFB (Google Map). It is home to a wing of B-52 bombers and Minuteman III ICBMs.

-Brian
next up: YYC, SFO, SYD, AKL, WLG, CMB, BKK, SIN, FRA, VCE, JFK

Atlanta

Sun Oct 26, 2008 4:42 pm

The a/c model display (I guess all of those airlines have flown to YEG)

I wish all airports had model displays like that.  cloudnine 

Great TR, you don't see many WS TR's.
Welcome To The New Delta- The World's Largest Airline

cylw

Mon Oct 27, 2008 2:17 am

That is definitely Airdrie Airpark. I can see where my house is!

http://www.airdrieflyingclub.ca/cef4.htm

And that CDN North 737 is actually one of their combi's. You can see the cargo door.

YXD172
Topic Author

Tue Oct 28, 2008 8:27 pm

Thanks Akula and CYLW, you guys are right about that airport.
And how did I miss the cargo door? Oops! I guess it just blended into the rest . . .  embarrassed 

Brian: Thanks for the help. I should have thought of looking in the US, seeing as how I flew right over. Nice collection of aircraft there.

Jon

thegreatRDU

Fri Jan 08, 2010 1:01 pm

Great pics....like you said I think the variation between AC and WS is less pronounced as it once was...AC stepped their IFE offering up...and on some flights WS is just as expensive as AC...that being said I have only flown on AC....I have yet to fly WS and PD...

So, we were waiting by the carousel for a good fifteen minutes for our bags - it seemed to be a long wait, but really wasn't that bad.

The wait for bags was a pain,

confused 
Our Returning Champion

staralliance38

Sat Jan 09, 2010 2:04 am

Great TR! I'll be going to YYC soon! The NW Saab is very interesting too  Smile
Roar, lion, roar