Moderators: richierich, ua900, hOMSaR

castroprauxel
Topic Author

TLV-FRA With LH (One Way)

Wed Nov 05, 2008 11:42 pm

...Well, to be honest, it wasn't a one way trip - but this will unfortunately be a one way report, due to the fact that I've neglected my journalistic duties in order to drink too much. more explanations later.

p.s: please be gentle, this is my first TR. and by the way, the pics look better than this, but I had to shrink them to deal with the size limitations here. oh well.

LH691 TLV-FRA 31/10/08
Economy Class
Flight Time: 4h30m
Aircraft: A340-300
Dep: 05.30
Arr: 09.00
Seat: 43A
Load: 100% F/CL, 100% C/CL, 95% Y/CL

So here I am, arriving to the LH Check in counters at 03.30 in the morning. always thought this was an exceptionally bad time to fly, but I also realize that the flight schedules FRA-TLV-FRA are heavily influenced by the rest of LH schedule, as on this route there are mostly connecting passengers to and from TLV, and they need to catch feeder/onward flights into/out of FRA, so I've learned to live with it.

The check in staff at TLV is ok at best. over the last few years, a very noticeable decline in the service offered by the ground staff in TLV took place, due to a new contract of LH with a local ground handling company. hopefully LH will have the brain to switch to a better one once this contract is over.

Big version: Width: 640 Height: 480 File size: 74kb

After the check in, I proceed to the departures hall. LH counters are located in level G (ground) of terminal 3 in TLV, while most airlines check in at level 3, which is where the departures hall is. basically, level G is very small (only 20 check in counters) and is allocated for LH, OS and LO only. if that's the case, the least they could do is stick a Star Alliance logo in there, but nope, the airport authority doesn't allow it and those airlines won't pay the advertising fees.

Nothing exciting from here on - passport control, which is as usual packed during the early morning rush hour, just before all flight to europe are departing, and then the inevitable duty free. I'm not a big duty-free fan, but I really needed a new pair of Adidas and they have those quite cheap here (funnily enough, cheaper than in Germany - although this is imported from there).

Since it wasn't really meant to be a trip report (that part only hit me later), I didn't take much pics of the terminal - but I promise to bring many more in the next report. honest!

Now to the lounge. there are 3 lounges in the departure area of terminal 3 at TLV - the most beautiful one is of course the one offered by LY to its passengers (if only their aircraft interiors looked as nice), and 2 others operated by the Dan hotels chain. those are in use for all other airlines (yes, as horrible as that sounds), which makes them fully packed and hardly the place to unwind before your flight. but hey, I wanted a piece of cake.

Big version: Width: 800 Height: 600 File size: 59kb

Big version: Width: 800 Height: 600 File size: 64kb

As you can see for yourself - the lounge is quite small (WYSIWYG. really.) and the food offerings is nothing to be astounded by: a few pieces of some decent cakes, few pastries, some salads, crackers and cheeses. that's about it. amazing to see sometimes passengers fighting with the staff about an entry they're not entitled to into this hole...

Boarding was called upon at 04.52. the lounge is not that far from the boarding gate - lounge at C2, gate is C6 - which is the only bright point to this story.

I board the aircraft just to find out THIS:

Big version: Width: 800 Height: 600 File size: 85kb

Yes yes, my favourite aircraft of the LH fleet has arrived today to TLV! this was the aircraft on which I had my very first flight, and the one I chose my username here after! I am actually a big fan of the A346 that used to serve TLV, but at this point I am very happy that LH has decided to downgrade to the A343. oh, the joy. with a big smile on ,y face I am greeted by a very nice purser, and going to my seat to find out a second surprise - this seat next to me is empty! hoping it will stay this way, I keep praying until I hear the "boarding completed" announcement, and then I settle in peacefully and wait for take off.

Push back is very quick today, but I notice that the aircraft is going to the farthest runway, and even there we have to wait a while - 05.30 is departure time not only for LH, but also LX, KL and AZ. we soon take off, and I just love the sound of the A343 taking off, climbing higher over the coastline of TLV, and onwards along the mediterranean on the way to the balkans.

This is the time to get comfy - but as much as I love the A343, apparently LH loves it a bit less. the horrible Recaro seats are nothing joyful, the seat pitch is horrible (and hey, I'm 175cm / 5'9" !), and nothing here says comfort. considering every passenger on board this aircraft hasn't slept during the night, it would be nice to have a more comfortable aircraft to people can sleep during the flight. but no. even IFE isn't installed in the Y/CL yet, which makes the seatbacks look sadly empty:

Big version: Width: 800 Height: 600 File size: 90kb

Big version: Width: 800 Height: 600 File size: 77kb

I take comfort in the fact the Y/CL is really almost completely full, and I got to enjoy a spare seat next to me, and start reading a newspaper just as the drinks run is on the way. until a while ago, LH used to serve breakfast right after departure - now they do a drinks run, let people sleep a while, and serve breakfast before arrival into FRA.

I am not very tired but I know I have a long day ahead of me, and opt for some wine hoping this will get me at least a bit sleepy. I stretch over the second seat, reading my newspaper, when suddenly I see the man on the other side of the aisle kicking the seat in front of him. soon I find out, that the lady sitting in front of this huge guy has her seat reclined, and he is getting squeezed in his seat (you really notice how awful the pitch is when the person on front of you in reclining theirs). so he pushes the back of her seat, trying to wake her up, she wakes up and starts shouting at him to stop. he keep pushing saying that he can't sit like that and her seatback is hurting his knees, she retaliates with "then next time buy a business class seat!", to which he answer "and who will pay, you?!".

I usually would have been amused with the early morning charade, if one of the flight attendants didn't come and say to him "well sir, why don't you switch to this empty aisle seat here?", pointing at the one next to me. too bad, I really liked this F/A up until now, when I didn't have the urge to drag him into the galley and beat him into a pulp.
Surely enough this huge guy is taking the seat next to me, and now I don't even have a place to hold my newspaper comfortably. I give up on reading and trying to catch some sleep, but soon the huge guy is sleeping all over me. I push him with my elbow, and after a few minutes he's over me again. what a nightmare. a note to the readers: DO NOT use very smelly after-shaves when you plan to sleep on other passengers, thank you!
I try to fold myself into the corner and manage to sleep for a short while.

I wake up a bit later, check the window (which was closed by the crew) and see the beautiful winglet over some part of eastern europe (who can tell when there's no routemap as there's no IFE?!) :

Big version: Width: 800 Height: 600 File size: 50kb

a short while afterwards, about 2.5 hours into the flight, breakfast is being served. the lovely crew is offering everyone "a salty dish, fritata with spinach, or a sweet dish, crepes" (I swear this was the F/A, not me). not a big fan of potatoes, I choose the crepes. the huge thing sitting next to me and half over me, takes the fritata, poke it with the fork, looks at mine, and says to the F/A "uhhh... I want that too".

Big version: Width: 800 Height: 600 File size: 83kb

Now really, I'm trying to be positive, but don't let looks deceive you... the crepes (and the swamps of jam resting next to them) are sickening sweet. talk about sugar rush.. maybe this is LH way of getting you wide awake after not being able to sleep in their Y.
the rest of the meal is quite ok, though. still, much better than what you'd get on LY Y/CL to FRA.

After the breakfast, this is a good time to stroll around in the cabin and check the load:

Big version: Width: 800 Height: 600 File size: 72kb

Soon we are starting our descent into FRA. it's a rainy cool day in good old Frankfurt, but that doesn't stop us from having yet again a field position (which is mostly the case arriving into FRA at this time in the morning, since all gates are busy). We are getting into the bus to take us away from this beautiful bird and into the terminal:

Big version: Width: 800 Height: 600 File size: 68kb

Big version: Width: 800 Height: 600 File size: 60kb

Big version: Width: 800 Height: 600 File size: 87kb

Having the time, I just have to show you one more thing: this is the underground tunnel linking area B and area A in FRA T1. I always love going in it, although once it had submarine sounds in the back ground and colourful lights switching on and off, which made it quite nice. now no sounds and the lights are steady, but still nice:

Big version: Width: 800 Height: 600 File size: 71kb

Summary: if you have to get anywhere else in Europe, I would take LX instead of LH anyday, but it's still the best way to get to FRA from TLV. the crew was very very friendly and nice, the meal was decent, the only bad point is the seats. LH must change those horrible uncomfortable seats. for a 4.5 hours flights it's hard to complain (well, it's easy for me anyway!), but keep in mind this A343 is serving other much farther places than TLV, and passenger much higher than my 175cm.

Total Score: 7/10

Now, surely you wanna know what happened with the FRA-TLV part of the trip. well, I know it's a lame excuse, but I was at a birthday party the night before and had a lot to drink. I was partying all night and at 05.00, there was no point anymore in catching a sleep for a couple of hours (LH686 FRA-TLV departs 10.10), so instead I stayed awake, went to a breakfast with a local friend at the nice new Marche restaurant opened in arrival hall A (or was it B?) of T1 in FRA, and then to the flight. TLV flights now depart from gate C13 in FRA, which is in the new section of the terminal, just built. as my friend told me: go straight ahead, and after 30 minutes when you think you've gone far enough - go some more. there's your gate". and he wasn't kidding - after passport control, you get to this corridor:

Big version: Width: 800 Height: 600 File size: 87kb

...Which leads you into a much longer corridor:

Big version: Width: 800 Height: 600 File size: 82kb

... At the end of which, when you're certain you're in another city by now rather than FRA, you finally get to the gate just to find a HUGE queue in front of the security screening:

Big version: Width: 800 Height: 600 File size: 83kb

Now, after all that, and not sleeping the entire night, and having some alcohol during the night, how can you blame me for falling asleep the minute my ass hit the seat until the aircraft arrived in TLV?? I can only spare these infos: the 747, although an aircraft I really don't like (to say the least), was no doubt quite new and in very very good shape. it was very clean and comfy. the crew was very nice and charming yet again (and everyone flying frequently with LH knows it's a hit or miss), and I also know that the meal was (surprise surprise) beef or chicken. don't ask me what with, I didn't even wake up to eat, although offered with a huge smile by the sweet F/A.

Let's just say I owe you a trip report, ok?  Smile

beowulf

RE: TLV-FRA With LH (One Way)

Thu Nov 06, 2008 7:59 am

Well, that was an interesting trip report from a route that is not so frequently covered. I agree that the aisles at the C gates are very long.

DALCE

Thu Nov 06, 2008 2:47 pm

Nice report, and what a surprise to see your favorite machine at the gate waiting for you!
As most readers/writers at this forum know, I always have some special interest in LH reports.
Your writing style and pictures are just great!
Keep those reports coming!!!

ps. Those C-gates look just terrible......have to check them soon!

Cheers,
Joost ( D-ALCE )
flown: F50,F70,CR1,CR2,CR9,223,E75,E90,143,AR8,AR1,733,735,736,73G,738,
753,763,744,77W,788,319,320,321,333,AB6.

StefanPAD

Thu Nov 06, 2008 6:16 pm

Hi there,

nice first trip report. Very interesting to read. My first time to see pictures from the new C gates. Have to go there myself someday.

Cheers,
Stefan

daviation

Thu Nov 06, 2008 7:44 pm

Very nice report, and thanks for the essential advice regarding the airports in Frankfurt and Tel Aviv. I am scheduled for LH 686 FRA-TLV on a 747-400, and then a return on LH 691 on an A340-600 (that what my ticket says, "600").

Is the lounge available to Economy passengers at Ben Gurion Airport? How does one gain entry?

Are the seats on the 340-600 more comfortable than the 340-300?

I liked El Al's 777 service very much, so maybe I am just easy to please!

When I transfer at FRA from my LH flight from the States, I was told that I would have to go through Passport Control, but not Customs or Security again. I've received several answers to this question, so I'm still not sure what to expect at Frankfurt.

Thanks for the trip report and any further information.
PlaneFlown:717,727,737,747,757,767,777,DC8,DC9,DC10,L1011,F100,A300,319,320,321,330,340,CRJ,ERJ,E190,Av85,DH8,Beaver,ATR

FLIEGER67

Thu Nov 06, 2008 8:05 pm

Hi, there,

for sure an interesting read.
I´am thinking also about an trip to Israel, maybe Eilat during the next months.
And LH is one option to go, so thanks for the informations and your impression.

Greetings,
Markus (FLIEGER67)
Tripreporter.net

semsem

Thu Nov 06, 2008 9:07 pm

I disagree with you. I would pick El Al over LH or LX anytime. The food is good for my tastebuds and the seats are comfortable with decent legroom. It is a known fact that LH and BA have narrow legroom.

castroprauxel
Topic Author

Fri Nov 07, 2008 12:42 pm

Thanks for all the responses, guys!  Smile

Quoting Daviation (Reply 4):
return on LH 691 on an A340-600 (that what my ticket says, "600")

It actually seems now that LH is playing with their equipment to TLV. the day flight remains with 744, while the night/morning flight is either A346 or A343, and it's anyone's guess what will be the one. apparently it changes according to passenger figures. also within those two, configuration will very - sometimes it will be with F/CL, sometime not.

Is the lounge available to Economy passengers at Ben Gurion Airport? How does one gain entry?

Basically, when flying Star Alliance, you can get either when flying F or C, or when holding a STAR gold card. you will also gain entry if you have a STAR silver, but only with the airline you're flying with. apart from that, it is possible to enter (for some points) with all major credit cards, or simply by paying for it - I think it's $18, but don't catch me on that one. I guess the nicest thing about the lounge in the view of the parking positions - if you look carefully (and squint...) you can see the tails on LX, OS, OK and OA from the window in my first lounge pic.

Are the seats on the 340-600 more comfortable than the 340-300?

Sadly no. the A346 actually has a pitch lower by 1 inch. I didn't say I love the seats, I just love the long awesome fuselage  Wink

When I transfer at FRA from my LH flight from the States, I was told that I would have to go through Passport Control

I strongly believe thane answer would be "no", simply as you are not entering the EU. on the other hand, I can't talk from personal experience as all the times I've flew to North America with LH, I've taken a stop in Germany and have entered the country, so I did have to go trough pass. control.

Quoting Semsem (Reply 6):
I disagree with you. I would pick El Al over LH or LX anytime. The food is good for my tastebuds and the seats are comfortable with decent legroom

Then we'll have to agree to disagree. the few times I've flew with LY to Germany were all bad, except for one flight TLV-MUC with the 767. LY usually flies the horrid 737 to German destinations, or worse, the 757. I can tell you that their C class TLV-FRA on the 757 is actually inferior to LH Y class. that was by far the worst C class flight I've ever experienced.
plus, for how long can you eat the same old omelet...

semsem

Fri Nov 07, 2008 5:49 pm

I was not comparing C as I only fly Y. I like the 757 in Y. I would not be surprised that LH C or F would be better than LY.

castroprauxel
Topic Author

Fri Nov 07, 2008 5:55 pm

Quoting Semsem (Reply 8):
I was not comparing C as I only fly Y. I like the 757 in Y. I would not be surprised that LH C or F would be better than LY.

No no, you've missed the point so I'll repeat: "LY C class TLV-FRA on the 757 is actually inferior to LH Y class"  Smile

ronerone

Fri Nov 07, 2008 7:15 pm

So this is where you got your username from!!  Smile

Nice trip report! Nice to see the check-in counters at TLV! Always wanted to see what the interiors look like! Is it ok to take pictures inside TLV usually?

Thanks for sharing!

Regards,
Roni
Fly Roni. Aviation Journeys. Photos. Videos.

LXA340

Sat Nov 08, 2008 12:25 pm

Quoting CastropRauxel (Thread starter):

As you can see for yourself - the lounge is quite small (WYSIWYG. really.) and the food offerings is nothing to be astounded by: a few pieces of some decent cakes, few pastries, some salads, crackers and cheeses. that's about it. amazing to see sometimes passengers fighting with the staff about an entry they're not entitled to into this hole...

The check in staff from LH at TLV is also not too friendly and not professional. Neverthless QAS who serves LX is not better.

Star Alliance really has a strong presence at TLV also in the premium segment, it really gets time that airlines ushc as LH, OS and LX get together and invest into their own lounge and build a Star Alliance lounge there. By the latest when CO joins Star Alliance this is really worth a though as it would further enhance the competitive advantage over the ocmpetition. Especially on the ground LY with it's lounge is ahead of the star alliance carriers at TLV

ilyag

Sat Nov 08, 2008 8:31 pm

Quoting CastropRauxel (Reply 7):
I can tell you that their C class TLV-FRA on the 757 is actually inferior to LH Y class

I would say that this is a little bit far fetching. LY has upgraded C class on 737s (not sure about 757s, but they are on their way out anyway). While it cannot be compared to long haul C of any reasonable carrier it definitely is far better than LH's Y. With 2-2 config, the seat is better than in most European carriers who use 3-3 for C with middle seat reserved (e.g. LX). In fact LY's Y is reasonable for both European routes and long haul and I would take it any day over LH. They have recently changed seat covers and the new ones look much better (navy with white dots) creating clean and professional image. Seat pitch is reasonable (34" in 744s !) - better than most other carriers. The food is OK too.

Anyway, good read! Thanks for posting!

Aleksandar

Sun Nov 09, 2008 4:50 pm

Hello!
I really liked your TR. The way you described your flight is very interesting. I laughed when I read about big guy. You're lucky that he didn't take all your meals  Wink

It's good to know that you had a good birthday party in FRA, but I noticed a small mistake you made. You said that you owe us A trip report. How wrong. You owe as many, many more TRs in the future  bigthumbsup 
R-E-S-P-E-C-T

castroprauxel
Topic Author

Mon Nov 10, 2008 3:21 am

Quoting Ronerone (Reply 10):
Nice trip report! Nice to see the check-in counters at TLV! Always wanted to see what the interiors look like! Is it ok to take pictures inside TLV usually?

Hey Roni! what an honour, getting a compliment from the master himself  Wink
yes, of course you can take pictures everywhere in TLV, and I promise many more next time.

Quoting LXA340 (Reply 11):
The check in staff from LH at TLV is also not too friendly and not professional. Neverthless QAS who serves LX is not better.

Well, as I said:

over the last few years, a very noticeable decline in the service offered by the ground staff in TLV took place, due to a new contract of LH with a local ground handling company. hopefully LH will have the brain to switch to a better one once this contract is over.

and btw - QAS are much more professional than those guys handling LH... you should see how a boarding process looks with them, which is a shame for LH.

Quoting Ilyag (Reply 12):
While it cannot be compared to long haul C of any reasonable carrier it definitely is far better than LH's Y. With 2-2 config, the seat is better than in most European carriers who use 3-3 for C with middle seat reserved (e.g. LX). In fact LY's Y is reasonable for both European routes and long haul and I would take it any day over LH

I was on the LY 757 TLV-FRA a while ago. the seats were just the same old 3-3 configuration with the middle blocked as with most european carriers, but the difference is that LY seats are very, very old and shabby. the meal tray has obviously seen better days, the food was nothing, but NOTHING better than Y (and was served all at once in one tray!), and the service was awful. goes without saying, no amenities what so ever. plus. let's not forget that most european carriers are sending widebodies to TLV, while LY is still mostly using 737 and 757 to europe, with the exception of CDG and LHR.
but ok, in all fairness, if you say they've changed I am willing to give them another try soon, so you don't think I'm biased  Wink

Quoting Aleksandar (Reply 13):
You said that you owe us A trip report. How wrong. You owe as many, many more TRs in the future

thanks  Smile coming up next is a TR with LX TLV-TXL (already got the ticket), and as I promised I will also try my best to get an LY TR for you guys. am still looking forward mostly to my EY flight though, which was supposed to be in october and had to be postponed... this will have to be sometime in the near future anyway, as I want to visit BKK while it's still high season. that said, I still want to try out AC new C class on the TLV-YYZ route, and a friend offered me to fly with him LH/UA to Hawaii for xmas... it's going to be an exciting winter  bouncy 

iliribdl

Mon Nov 10, 2008 3:38 pm

Great trip report. Loved all the pictures.  Smile

Quoting DALCE (Reply 2):
As most readers/writers at this forum know, I always have some special interest in LH reports.

Same here, I love reading LH trip reports, no matter the route or what plane it is.  Wink
delta.com

LXA340

Mon Nov 10, 2008 8:18 pm

Quoting CastropRauxel (Reply 14):
and btw - QAS are much more professional than those guys handling LH... you should see how a boarding process looks with them, which is a shame for LH.

To be fair there are 2 employees from QAS that are working for them many year and they are doing a great job however the rest is bad news. Nevertheless regarding the in efficiency at TLV and the ground service / catering of LX what can be expected if you have a lazy in efficent Israel Manager of LX.

PlaneHunter

Wed Nov 12, 2008 9:00 am

Very entertaining report about a route which you don't find here too often.

This is the time to get comfy - but as much as I love the A343, apparently LH loves it a bit less. the horrible Recaro seats are nothing joyful, the seat pitch is horrible (and hey, I'm 175cm / 5'9" !), and nothing here says comfort. considering every passenger on board this aircraft hasn't slept during the night, it would be nice to have a more comfortable aircraft to people can sleep during the flight. but no. even IFE isn't installed in the Y/CL yet, which makes the seatbacks look sadly empty:

Hopefully the A343s will be upgraded like the A333s and A346s, at least the newer ones. But seat pitch wouldn't get better anyway...

soon I find out, that the lady sitting in front of this huge guy has her seat reclined, and he is getting squeezed in his seat (you really notice how awful the pitch is when the person on front of you in reclining theirs). so he pushes the back of her seat, trying to wake her up, she wakes up and starts shouting at him to stop. he keep pushing saying that he can't sit like that and her seatback is hurting his knees, she retaliates with "then next time buy a business class seat!", to which he answer "and who will pay, you?!".

I usually would have been amused with the early morning charade, if one of the flight attendants didn't come and say to him "well sir, why don't you switch to this empty aisle seat here?", pointing at the one next to me. too bad, I really liked this F/A up until now, when I didn't have the urge to drag him into the galley and beat him into a pulp.

Nice - just watched a similar scene on my recent ANZ HKG-LHR flight. As soon as a quite tall and muscular FA showed up and told them how to behave on board the guys stopped arguing...  Wink

yes, of course you can take pictures everywhere in TLV, and I promise many more next time.

Interesting to know.

PH
Nothing's worse than flying the same reg twice!

castroprauxel
Topic Author

Sat Nov 15, 2008 4:42 pm

Quoting IliriBDL (Reply 15):
I love reading LH trip reports, no matter the route or what plane it is

And I love flying LH, so you'll get more  Smile

Quoting PlaneHunter (Reply 17):

Interesting to know.

I have to say I'm quite surprised that apparently this is a common perception... why wouldn't it be allowed? this, after all, an international airport, not a military airfield.

PlaneHunter

Sat Nov 15, 2008 5:27 pm

Quoting CastropRauxel (Reply 18):
I have to say I'm quite surprised that apparently this is a common perception... why wouldn't it be allowed?

It's based on the fact that I have been checked and interviewed numerous times while spotting just because an LY plane showed up. Why wouldn't they be as cautious at TLV as anywhere else?

PH
Nothing's worse than flying the same reg twice!

castroprauxel
Topic Author

Wed Nov 19, 2008 4:51 pm

Quoting PlaneHunter (Reply 19):
It's based on the fact that I have been checked and interviewed numerous times while spotting just because an LY plane showed up. Why wouldn't they be as cautious at TLV as anywhere else?

Not "as cautious", but extremely cautious; this is exactly why once inside the sterile environment, you pose no threat - while when spotting on neutral grounds you might be suspected.

ba319-131

Sat Dec 06, 2008 11:27 pm

Hi,

Great report and pictures, enjoyed the trip, not a route I'm likely to fly so very interesting.

"well sir, why don't you switch to this empty aisle seat here?", pointing at the one next to me.

- No!! - Never happend to me yet, but this shows it could.

Now really, I'm trying to be positive, but don't let looks deceive you... the crepes (and the swamps of jam resting next to them) are sickening sweet

- Looks just terrible, really not impressed.

Look forward to more TR's in the future.

Regards

Mark
111 732 733 734 735 736 73G 738 739,7M8 BBJ 741 742 743 744 752 753 762 763 764 772 77L 773 77W L15 D10 D30 D40 AB3 AB6 312 313 318 319 320 20N 321 21N 332 333 342 343 345 346 359 351 388 CS1 CS3 I86 154 SSJ CRJ CR7 CR9 CRK 145 170 175 220

musapapaya

Sun Dec 07, 2008 11:02 am

I think the newer Recaro seats on LH and LX are thinner, so if the pitch is the same, you got 2 inch more legroom - thats what they advertise on LX anyway...

I have been on LH A343 Y class quite a few times, yes, I will go with LX anyday.

Nice report, thanks for sharing.