Moderators: richierich, ua900, hOMSaR

OA260
Topic Author

DUB-SKG Swiss J Class With Fellow Anetter / Pics

Fri Nov 21, 2008 7:26 pm

Fellow Anetter and friend ''Eirules'' ( Andrew ) had booked a mileage run to Thessaloniki on the Swiss special J class fares. After some thought I decided to book as I was off work those days. It was going to be a busy week for me and if you read my last trip report it ended with me going to the Holiday Inn hotel at Dublin airport. So this report starts where the last TR ended. I did not have time to go home after my BMI LHR-DUB flight so I decided to stay over at the airport and then meet up with Andrew the next morning. He had decided to stay at the hotel also so we decided to meet up at 0830am and go to breakfast.

I woke up at 0730 and took a shower. I was still a bit tired from the previous days travel and the bed was so comfortable it was hard to get up lol.... I met Andrew and we went to breakfast. After that Andrew went to park his car at ''quick park'' and we took the shuttle bus to the airport terminal.

http://i363.photobucket.com/albums/oo76/skglx2/swisslogo.png

DATE : 12/NOV/08
ROUTE: DUB-ZRH
FLIGHT: LX 401
AIRLINE: SWISS++
CLASS: BUSINESS
REG: HB - IJI
A/C: A320
SEAT: 3A&C

We checked in and got boarding cards.

For some reason we only got DUB-ZRH and ZRH-SKG. Normally you get SKG-ZRH also but it didnt print. We then went to the Anna Livia lounge and used the free internet kiosks before going to the BMI Diamond Club lounge. I find the BMI lounge lacks on food offerings and no internet kiosks but its a lot more open and brighter than the Anna Livia lounge.

After a while it was time to go to the Gate which again like other trips was to be D64.

Soon it was time to board.

We were brought water and refresher towels by a friendly crew.

LH ( taken by Andrew )

After take off it was time for drinks and we both chose Champagne. We said we would share a bottle but were brought another one after lol....

Then Lunch time :

Again not my favourite dish but nice all the same.

Coffee and Chocs time

Then I took a glance at Andrew's copy of Airliner World .

I got some more Chocs from the crew and put them in the handy DAA bag.

VIDEO CLICK TO VIEW

VIDEO CLICK TO VIEW

After we landed we went to the Swiss desk and got our boarding card re issued for ZRH-SKG and also the return SKG-ZRH then decided to go into Zurich to look at the shops for a few hours. It was Andrews first time so I was the tour guide  Big grin

After a few hours in downtown Zurich it was time to take the train back. I suggested that we go to the LH Star Gold lounge first then to the Senator LX lounge.

We both agreed that the food offerings were not great but Andrew liked the Beer !!

We then made our way to the LX Senator lounge.

I took a shower which are located at the Business Class lounge.

Then feeling refreshed time to head to the Senator lounge for some food.

The food was pretty decent and we both had a nice Nespresso coffee. Soon it was time to go to the A gates for the flight to Thessaloniki.

DATE : 12/NOV/08
ROUTE: ZRH-SKG
FLIGHT: LX 1850

Boarding commenced and I approached the gate agent showing my Gold card and we bypassed the que.

The flight was not totally full in Business but quite full down the back in Economy.

After take off drinks and meals were served. Andrew went for the Veg. option and I went for the beef.

Soon after we both had a sleep before waking up and landing in SKG.

We landed on time and there were two options. Stay at the airport or take a whistle stop tour of downtown Thessaloniki. Andrew had never been to Greece so I felt I had to at least give him some idea of what it was like also he did not want to just hang around the airport. We took the bus which cost only 60 Cent and took 25 minutes. We were in the center and we went to a Kebab shop!! I never miss an opportunity to eat Greek food. Andrew did not like his and laughed at me as I ate and enjoyed mine. He did however enjoy his Greek Cherry juice which I recommended.

We then went on a short walk .

After that it was time to get the bus back to the airport. We got our EUR8 voucher from the Swiss desk and spent it as fast as we got it .

Andrew got Coffee and Chocolate

I just got chocolate

Then I went and got a newspaper.

There was not much time left and soon it was time to go through security. The que was long and it took a while. There were two other flights going the same time and everyone was going through at the same time. I was getting anxious as they were calling our flight and I wanted to go to Duty Free. Anyway finally I got through and ran to Duty Free.

DATE : 13/NOV/08
ROUTE: SKG-ZRH
FLIGHT: LX 1851

We boarded the bus and went to the aircraft. We boarded and it was apparant that the flight was packed. Also Business Class was 95% full. No rows to stretch out on this time !!

Taken by Andrew

After take off breakfast was served.

Andrews meal

My meal ( no bacon )

After that we both slept until it was time to land in Zurich. After landing we went to the Swiss arrivals lounge and Andrew took a shower. I was way too tired to do anything so I just took a sleeper chair and went to sleep for 1 hour and a half.

Soon it was time to head to the DUB flight.

DATE : 13/NOV/08
ROUTE: ZRH-DUB
FLIGHT: LX 400
SEAT: 4A&C

After take off it was time for another breakfast.

We slept alot on this flight. We were both very tired. Soon it was time to land and we were on the ground in Dublin .

I went with Andrew to the Quick Park collected by case from the previous trip which I had left in his car and then took the shuttle back to the terminal to get my Bus up North.

Views of Terminal Two construction.

So that ends yet another good Swiss experience. It was great to have the company and do the trip with another Aviation enthusiast. Thanks Andrew I really enjoyed it and hope that we can do another trip soon.

Comments appreciated as usual.

OA260 and EIRULES ....  Smile

AmricanShamrok

RE: DUB-SKG Swiss J Class With Fellow Anetter / Pics

Fri Nov 21, 2008 7:58 pm

Nice  Smile

You not bored of flying Swiss yet?!

FLIEGER67

Fri Nov 21, 2008 8:19 pm

Hi, Phil,

one more interesting read around your LX travels surrounded with nice lounge and aircraft pics.
I remember some SKG details from my latest visit.
BTW, later than yours, Monday, the 17th!.

Greetings,
Markus (FLIEGER67)
Tripreporter.net

n272wa

Fri Nov 21, 2008 8:46 pm

Well lads, excellent report! Efharisto para poli! I really liked the pics of Thessaloniki at night.

Phil.... how much chocolate had you??? LOL.

Thanks for posting,
N272WA  Smile

shamrock350

RE: DUB-SKG Swiss J Class With Fellow Anetter / Pi

Fri Nov 21, 2008 9:52 pm

Great report!

I've yet to even fly LX and I would never have even thought of flying them if it weren't your reports, one day I'll get round to flying them. The meals always look so tasty and well presented, I really shouldn't read your reports when I'm hungry.

Kevin

eicvd

Fri Nov 21, 2008 11:06 pm

Hi Phil & Andrew.
I was looking forward to this TR as I saw the a/c depart on the DUB-ZRH flight while out for a walk & knew two of you were on it.
Thanks for posting lads.
COYBIB

shamrock104

Sat Nov 22, 2008 12:07 am

Nice report. Thanks for your diligence in sharing yet another LX experience.

Lacta Chocolate eh? Hmm, i'm not a greek speaker but the name does have various connotations... what's it like?

DALCE

Sat Nov 22, 2008 7:16 am

Hi Phil,

Yet another positive LX report from your hand. They surely seem to be your favorite airline around. Nice also that you catched HB-IJM, the special colored LX 320.
I have this one covered also, as you can read in my last LX report some time ago.
Thanks for sharing again, and keep 'em coming Big grin

Cheers,
Joost ( D-ALCE )
flown: F50,F70,CR1,CR2,CR9,223,E75,E90,143,AR8,AR1,733,735,736,73G,738,
753,763,744,77W,788,319,320,321,333,AB6.

OA260
Topic Author

Sat Nov 22, 2008 10:49 am

Quoting AmricanShamrok (Reply 1):
You not bored of flying Swiss yet?!

Haha no not yet, Ask me in a few months

Quoting FLIEGER67 (Reply 2):
BTW, later than yours, Monday, the 17th!.

Just missed you again Markus ....

Quoting N272WA (Reply 3):
Efharisto para poli! I

Parakalo.

Quoting N272WA (Reply 3):
Phil.... how much chocolate had you??? LOL

Way too much and its starting to show as my other half told me the other day LOL... Have to stop eating all this bad food.

Quoting Shamrock350 (Reply 4):
I really shouldn't read your reports when I'm hungry.

I know they are nice meals.

Quoting EICVD (Reply 5):
DUB-ZRH flight while out for a walk & knew two of you were on it.

Cool , should have taken your camera .....Would have been nice to get a shot of the A/C we were on.

Quoting Shamrock104 (Reply 6):
Lacta Chocolate eh?

LOL... well if you eat too much it might live upto its name .

Quoting DALCE (Reply 7):
HB-IJM

Thanks for the Reg!! I wondered about it. I was so tired and have been travelling alot that I forgot.

PlaneHunter

Sat Nov 22, 2008 11:18 am

Nice report, Phil. Always a pleasure to see LX's meals - even though the pictures can make one hungry.  Wink

Quoting OA260 (Thread starter):
I got some more Chocs from the crew and put them in the handy DAA bag.

Great - reminds of an almost empty flight on Southwest back in 1997. I had a nice chat with an FA and she later gave me a plastic sack with 30-40 small peanut bags.

PH
Nothing's worse than flying the same reg twice!

StefanPAD

Sat Nov 22, 2008 11:32 am

Hi Philip,

again a nice TR with great pics! Thanks for sharing. Lucky you got the special livery. Wasn't the crew amazed to see you guys on the same seats again?

Cheers,
Stefan

OA260
Topic Author

Sat Nov 22, 2008 3:53 pm

Quoting PlaneHunter (Reply 9):
Nice report, Phil.

Thanks glad you like them.

Quoting StefanPAD (Reply 10):
Wasn't the crew amazed to see you guys on the same seats again?

I actually tell the staff on the outbound flight so as not to shock them lol... Always get a nice welcome onboard 3 hours later. One crew member in particular was so nice and good at his job. I think he was Swiss / Chinese or a similar mix. He really knew how to look after his passengers. The Maitre D Cabine was Italian/Spanish looking but was less friendly to be honest although he did his job.

SXDFC

Sat Nov 22, 2008 4:09 pm

Phil- Swiss should start paying you for these TR's! everyone you do is great, and I am sure your miles are sky high!!!

Still have hope for an OA TR from you one day!

Were you on the Hop Suisse a/c?

LXA340

Sat Nov 22, 2008 7:39 pm

Quoting OA260 (Reply 11):

Again a nice trip report. BTW: did you ask the crew how they spend their 3 hours on the ground. Do they wait till the plane gets cleaned and after they shut off the lights go to sleep until shortly before boarding?

OA260
Topic Author

Sat Nov 22, 2008 8:33 pm

Quoting SXDFC (Reply 12):
I am sure your miles are sky high!!!

Hi Bobby ,

Yes Ive got alot to cash in now. Im thinking of using them to do LX ZRH-LAX then NZ LAX-LHR or UA's new J class product Via IAD. Decisions , decisions LOL.....

Were you on the Hop Suisse a/c?

Yep.

Quoting LXA340 (Reply 13):
did you ask the crew how they spend their 3 hours on the ground. Do they wait till the plane gets cleaned and after they shut off the lights go to sleep until shortly before boarding?

I have asked on previous trips and they told me they shut the lights off and get 2 hours sleep across the seats .

Still have hope for an OA TR from you one day!

I know its weird , since I joined Anet I have not flown with them and I used to fly them all the time. I guess Swiss came into Star and I get my miles and perks so it doesnt pay me to fly them but I will have to take a trip down memory lane sometime soon. Hopefully on SX-DFC !!

panam330

Sat Nov 22, 2008 9:22 pm

Awesome TR man. Swiss looks great! Their lounges look incredible!

OA260
Topic Author

Sun Nov 23, 2008 10:26 am

Quoting PanAm330 (Reply 15):
Their lounges look incredible!

Yes I have to agree their lounges are some of the best . I have not been into their First Class lounge yet but hope to someday.

ba319-131

Sun Nov 23, 2008 9:12 pm

Thanks for this report Phil, seems you and Andrew had some decent flights.

As always with Swiss, the meals looked good.

I sure hope to fly them again soon.

Regards

Mark
111 732 733 734 735 736 73G 738 739,7M8 BBJ 741 742 743 744 752 753 762 763 764 772 77L 773 77W L15 D10 D30 D40 AB3 AB6 312 313 318 319 320 20N 321 21N 332 333 342 343 345 346 359 351 388 CS1 CS3 I86 154 SSJ CRJ CR7 CR9 CRK 145 170 175 220

airbuseric

Sun Nov 23, 2008 10:27 pm

Hi Philip,
it seems that you had another great day of flying on LX. I really must try this airline in C some day as well. Until now, I always ended up behind the curtain  Silly
I must say that the hot meals look very good, but I think the breakfast plates are just a bit less, or at least, that how they look to me. Anyway, this is a very good service which you won't find soon elsewhere.
Thanks for sharing here,

Cheers,
Eric

... any plans for AMS in 2009?  Wink
"The whole world steps aside for the man who knows where he is going"

cambrian

Mon Nov 24, 2008 10:17 am

Great report, as usual! I am writing a similar one myself- LCY-GVA-ATH-ZRH-LHR, all in one day! Swiss never disappoints.

Quoting Oa260 (Reply 16):
Yes I have to agree their lounges are some of the best . I have not been into their First Class lounge yet but hope to someday.

The First Class lounge in ZRH is amazing. If you are ever transiting ZRH with an onward LX flight in F, then allow plenty of time, as you will not want to leave the lounge!

LX First Class is an amazing experience. On a recent flight to Singapore I was welcomed to my seat with my own personal raclette! I didn't want to get off the flight when we landed in Singapore.

Eirules

Wed Nov 26, 2008 12:32 pm

Another great TR Phil, thanks for putting it all together.

My first LX experience was excellent I must say, with the service, food and lounges all top class. And it was even better to have someone to share it with and someone to show me the sights!

Hopefully it'll be the first of many to come. Thanks everyone for your replies and mostly thanks to you OA260
Andy
The way you cut your meat reflects the way you live....

davescj

Wed Nov 26, 2008 8:40 pm

Great TR! Thanks for posting!

Dave
Can I have a mojito on this flight?

OA260
Topic Author

Thu Nov 27, 2008 10:19 pm

Quoting Airbuseric (Reply 18):
... any plans for AMS in 2009?  

Who knows LOL.... hopefully

Quoting Cambrian (Reply 19):
The First Class lounge in ZRH is amazing. If you are ever transiting ZRH with an onward LX flight in F, then allow plenty of time, as you will not want to leave the lounge!

I know . You will know me ! I will be the one checking in the night before lol...

Quoting EIRules (Reply 20):
And it was even better to have someone to share it with and someone to show me the sights!

Ditto .

Quoting EIRules (Reply 20):
Hopefully it'll be the first of many to come.

Wink Sooner than we thought

Quoting Davescj (Reply 21):
Thanks for posting!

Thanks Dave , glad you liked it .

andaman

Fri Nov 28, 2008 12:00 am

An other interesting Swiss report, thanks!
Those meals loooked so good, hungry now.
I have flown them only once, BKK-SIN in Y last June, a very nice experience. I wish they would be an OW carrier, would have all the reasons to fly them more often...
Big version: Width: 800 Height: 447 File size: 209kb
Chinese cookie in SFO: "You're doomed to a life of forever travelling abroad and to be able to afford it!"

OA260
Topic Author

Fri Nov 28, 2008 10:20 am

Quoting Andaman (Reply 23):
I wish they would be an OW carrier, would have all the reasons to fly them more often...

LOL... I hope they dont , it would be a disaster for me .  Big grin

cambrian

Fri Nov 28, 2008 10:55 am

Quoting Oa260 (Reply 24):
LOL... I hope they dont , it would be a disaster for me

Me too! I was so glad when LX escaped BA's clutches. The whole BA tie up was not a good experience for LX. All they managed to get out of it was the loss of slots at Heathrow, and the end of a daily wide body service from ZRH to LHR.

OA260
Topic Author

Fri Nov 28, 2008 12:09 pm

Quoting Cambrian (Reply 25):
The whole BA tie up was not a good experience for LX. All they managed to get out of it was the loss of slots at Heathrow, and the end of a daily wide body service from ZRH to LHR.

WOW I didnt know that. I never knew too much about Swiss until a few years ago when they joined Star and I was able to earn and burn points on them. What A/C did they send to LHR ( Widebody )?

I remember the good old days of SwissAir with A310's with First/Business and Economy class cabins.

Those were the days !!

cambrian

Fri Nov 28, 2008 2:39 pm

Quoting Oa260 (Reply 26):
WOW I didnt know that. I never knew too much about Swiss until a few years ago when they joined Star and I was able to earn and burn points on them. What A/C did they send to LHR ( Widebody )?

I remember the good old days of SwissAir with A310's with First/Business and Economy class cabins.

LX used to send the MD11 and then the A330 to LHR in the morning, which would depart mid morning to ZRH, full of connecting passengers to European and intercontinental destinations.

As part of the tie up with BA, LX agreed to end widebody service. They also took over the LHR-GVA route from Terminal 4. I remember being booked on LX many times to GVA, and flying BA metal. That is why LX no longer fly GVA- LHR.

tango29

Fri Nov 28, 2008 6:32 pm

Hey

Great trip report as always

I recently booked my first flghts with Swiss for a few days in Zurich in January but i received
a call from Swiss the other day telling me my flight had been cancelled, they gave me the
option of other dates or fly on the day via FRA with LH so i took that option, although the
operator on the phone was extremley helpful she had no idea why my flight was cancelled
2 months in advance?? At least my return leg with them is ok so really looking forward to
that.

Cheers!
Flown: A300,310,319,320,321,332,333,346,380, B720, 727,732,733,734,735,738,741,744,752,753,763,772,773

OA260
Topic Author

Fri Nov 28, 2008 6:41 pm

Quoting Tango29 (Reply 28):
I recently booked my first flghts with Swiss for a few days in Zurich in January but i received
a call from Swiss the other day telling me my flight had been cancelled, they gave me the
option of other dates or fly on the day via FRA with LH so i took that option,

Hi yes there are some days in Jan / Feb where the service will drop to 4-5 a week but this is just for a short period. You have just got caught in between it. Is it Y or J class?? At least you have it on the return as you say.

tango29

Sat Nov 29, 2008 12:27 pm

Quoting Oa260 (Reply 29):
Is it Y or J class??

Its only Y class so not too disappointed and at least i'm flying with LH which is one of
my favourite airlines.

Thanks for the info it all seems to sense now.

Cheers!
Flown: A300,310,319,320,321,332,333,346,380, B720, 727,732,733,734,735,738,741,744,752,753,763,772,773

OA260
Topic Author

Sat Nov 29, 2008 1:05 pm

Quoting Tango29 (Reply 30):
Thanks for the info it all seems to sense now

Welcome I was away from my desk yesterday but here is what the Sched looks like :

13JAN 13JAN .2..... DUB ZRH 1115 1425 LX 401 319
15JAN 22JAN .2.4... DUB ZRH 1115 1425 LX 401 319
14JAN 19JAN 1.3.5.7 DUB ZRH 1115 1425 LX 401 320
12JAN 12345.7 DUB ZRH 1115 1425 LX 401 320
21JAN 1.3.5.7 DUB ZRH 1115 1425 LX 401 320
.....6. DUB ZRH 1115 1425 LX 401 320

Its very irratic . Not sure why.

tango29

Sat Nov 29, 2008 5:50 pm

Quoting OA260 (Reply 31):
21JAN 1.3.5.7 DUB ZRH 1115 1425 LX 401 320
.....6. DUB ZRH 1115 1425 LX 401 320

Bit strange alright, i was due to fly out on the 27th which is a tuesday so looking at the
the previous week that kinda explains my cancellation?

Cheers!