airbuseric
Topic Author

NRT-AMS // KLM KL862 // 31OCT08 // J-cabin (pics)

Tue Dec 09, 2008 11:01 pm

Hi,

I’m back again with another tripreport. This one covers my flight back home after some business in Japan. I decided to take this flight on KLM, and I’m travelling together with a collegue.

The flight was supposed to be busy, since our seatrequest (a few weeks ahead of the actual travel) was impossible. I ended up in 03J (window), my collegue at 03E (middle of 3). Not the best seats when travelling together, but we couldn’t change it then. Although at the day before we had to fly, I checked the KLM website/online check-in and found 05G and 05J still vacant. I immediately checked both of us in on these seats, of course.

The day of travel came and we had to leave our hotel too early. We booked seats on the JR Narita Express train already early in the morning, enabling us some final shopping in Terminal 1 at Narita Airport, and of course, to visit the lounge.

The train run on time and the ride went very comfortable and on schedule. Once arrived at Narita Airport, we went to the KLM check-in counters and very greeted by friendly staff. They asked our class of travel, and we were personally directed to a dedicated counter, with on the floor a nice carpet for World Business Class. We were served friendly, and 2 baggage staff treated our suitcases with care. They attached the Priority label on it as well. We got seats 05G/J indeed, so it worked out fine in the end.

Flight Departure Information

I think Boeing tries to sell a couple of these planes in Japan ?!

After some shopping in the terminal, and seeing the SQ A380 at the gate for the first time in real, we went through passport control, collected another stamp in our passports and went to the lounge. I wanted to check the KE lounge this time, but we were rejected entry. The KE staff directed us to the NW lounges located at gates 17 (close to ours) or 25. We decided to take the one near gate 25, since it wouldn’t be crowded with so much Dutch travellers (yes, they can be quite irritating some times  Wink). We got access without problems. The lounge was nicely decorated with fresh flowers and brandnew furniture. With Apple PC’s everywhere, offering free broadband internet. Also the foodsection was renewed. This lounge now offered more fresh muffins, cookies and cake, as well some sandwiches (these were rather dry tasting though). This lounge offers great view on the apron and runway 16R/34L as well. This runway is used mostly, so you are assured for an interesting mix of traffic.

Entrance of NWA lounge is nicely decorated with fresh flowers

NWA lounge at NRT

Checking out A.net on the modern Apple PC’s in the lounge, free Internet access

A selection for ‘breakfast’

The KLM Boeing 777-200ER being served …

Not long before boarding would start, we went to our gate. A lot of people were awaiting the boarding of their flight to AMS. It was a big less organised here. A group of tourists was preboarded and had to wait in the passenger bridge. As well a few parents with younger children were served first, but also they had to wait for about 10 minutes in the bridge. It seems that the crew was not ready yet to receive the passengers on this flight. After these issues were solved, Business Class was able to board. So we did. KLM used 2 doors, we boarded at L1 door. We were greeted (but not so friendly) by the crew. We got our Dutch newspaper as well, and went to our seats.

NRT-AMS
Flight No.: KL862 Date: 31OCT08
STD: 1205 ATD: 1203
STA: 1610 ATA: 1545
A/C: Boeing 777-206(ER) Reg No.: PH-BQD
Seat: 05J – Business Class

First time to to travel on the ‘Darjeeling Railway’ (PH-BQD). My 8th ride on a Boeing 777, 7 times on a series -200ER.

Our main cabin attendant on this flight was a senior Japanese lady, speaking English very well, in an ordinary US accent. But she was very, very friendly and helpful. She served us champagne before departure, and even refilled once. Also, the amenity kit was handed out, as well that flights’ menu. The business class cabin was loaded 100%, as well was Economy on this flight. KLM performes well, it seems! Please notice that row 5 has 1 window less then usual, but still offers a good view outside.

My view forward for the next 11½ hours!

My pre-flight Champagne, Amenity Kit and the flights Menu

Almost on the runway for takeoff. Actually the 2nd aircraft behind us is the daily JAL flight, also to AMS

After takeoff, the crew came around and handed out slippers. I thought this timing is not completely fine to do it, and I would prefer it before takeoff. This was followed by the personal introduction of the purser on the flight. He asked about my intentions to travel and he also took my mealchoice, which was accepted without problems. It seemed that I chose the correct meal, and wouldn’t have to deal with my second choice.

White wine and nuts after take-off

Overview on World Business Class cabin on KLM’s B777-200ER

A view outside, hazy conditions in upper levels. Note our contrail visible below!

Some more drinks were served and the crew brought white linen for the table. First meal service started.

The meal was presented in a nice way. I had the feeling to dine in a restaurant to be honest. The Japanese crewmember who served me, was very polite and friendly, so this made the feeling to become very positive. Wine was served again, and again.

The Menu

Appetizer (Western)

Main Course, Fish (Western)

Dessert

One more view outside, overflying Russia’s Fareast

After the mealservice, the the blinds were mostly closed and the cabin was brought into the dark-mode. Most of the cabin crew left and took most probably their rest. I watched a Dutch movie on the IFE system and listened some music afterwards. The flight took us very Northerly through Russian airspace and seemed everlasting!
A few hours later the smell of noodles attracted some attention and a midflight snack was served. I had a sushi roll (tuna) and vanilla icecream. Especially the sushi was very nice and in my opinion an original kind of snack for onboard an aircraft. I liked it!

As the flight continued, I had some more rest and from time to time I watched the scene outside, which was sometimes breathtaking...

Flight Information - airway B483 (the most North one through Russian airspace)

Beautiful views outside …

Once we approached Europe, the sky cleared up completely and more beautiful view on the icy places below were seen. Fresh snow everywhere around while flying down South to Amsterdam, over Norway... I watched this scene from the forward galley and came into a talk with the Japanese flight attendent. She was working with KLM over 35 years as cabin crew member, always been based in Tokyo and served only on this route. She was fully into her job. She really understands the passengers needs and speaks fluently English if she wants. I think she did a great job on this flight.

More snow around Scandinavia

Yet, the second mealservice was to be served. It was a kind of pasta with cream sauce. The looks of the pasta were not very good in my opinion, taste was also a bit bland and I didn’t like it very much. Therefore I decided not to eat it all and most of it was returned.

Second mealservice (Western)

This was finished with some coffee and some chocolate. It would be the last food we got on this flight, while we were in our initial descend for AMS. The weather changed also... it got cloudy again, basically overcast! Yes, I was going back to Holland, so I would also get the Dutch weather.

Once getting closer to AMS, also the famous Delftblue Houses for Business Class were given. I got another example for my collection, which is lined up in the windowsill at my kitchen. By the way, the houses given on the Japan-Amsterdam routes are filled with liquor. Passengers travelling further onto European flights were given a sealed bag, to protect the houses from getting confiscated at one of the security checks at the airports.
A crewmember also returned the jackets from the wardrobe.

Overflying Dutch polder landscape, close to AMS

The approach flew the Boeing 777 over the Dutch city of Almere and East along the airport, turning sharply right for a runway 06 landing. The aircraft landed back at her homebase about 30 minutes prior to the scheduled time, while taxiing took us only a couple of more minutes. Parking spot used was F05. After the engines came to rest, we were greeted friendly upon disembarking. The crew wished me a good continuation of my trip back home.

Baggage took about 35 minutes time after we blocked-in. Too long!! I am for again not amused by this procedure of KLM, which really needs a rapid change. And then the baggage came, priority class labeled bags together with economy class on the belt. So, this part of KLM’s product needs an improvement.

Passing customs was also nothing special, since no custom check employees were on duty that afternoon?! At least, I didn’t see one, and therefore it would’ve been easy to bring some electronics into the country.

My other conclusions about KLM’s product are mostly very positive again. The crew is in general friendly and the Japanese one I was served by, was a veteran in her job. She did very well!
Meals looked good, gave a real dining impression to me, and tasted well. Except the snack/pasta meal served before landing. But that might just not be my personal taste.
Drinks served prior to takeoff is a real must when travelling in Business. And the refill was nice.
Then to the aircraft. Boeing 777’s might be a bit noisy, the climate on board is rather good and I have the feeling that the airconditioning system on board creates a better environment for the passenger then what we see on the B747-400’s. I do not like the KLM seats in WBC. These are still the reclining type, without a shell. Books, magazines, waterbottles,... several of these items fell out of the various seats during the flight when the seats in front fullly reclined. The seats also seem not to be maintained very well and gave a very used impression. The seat next to me was broken on some parts. The IFE (on demand) is very good though!

(note: KLM’s B777-300ER use the Air France type Business Class seat, but I got information that these seats have recently been replaced by the type used on the rest of the longhaul fleet. This was due to too many complaints about the Air France type seats. But, I cannot confirm this information)

So, I think the KLM experience is overall still a very good one, but might not be everyone’s taste. On most points I like the inflight experience on this carrier, but mainly when it comes to the seat, cabin design and cleanliness, The routes other operator, JAL, might fit better at these points. I think it’s just a matter of taste.

I hope you liked the reading of this report. I will come online again soon with 2 more reports covering Japan-travels which I did lately. Plus, the next JAL flightreport will give an insight on their Japanese cuisine dinner.

Thanks for reading. Comments are always welcome, and I would appreciate them!

Cheers,
Eric
"The whole world steps aside for the man who knows where he is going"

triple7man

RE: NRT-AMS // KLM KL862 // 31OCT08 // J-cabin (pics)

Tue Dec 09, 2008 11:23 pm

Thank you for your TR. I have never flown KLM, but I remember living in Houston in the 1980's and they flew a daily AMS-IAH-AMS flight using a 747-200 and later a 747-300. I was not able to fly very often and I always remember watching with envy the KLM flight taking off for AMS. I live just outside Tokyo so now I always see their 747-400 and now a 777-200 at NRT and wonder about their service. It seems like your experience overall was good, but I can understand the frustration at the long wait for baggage, and that is why I always take my carry on suitcase instead of checking it.
You mentioned the JL 777 waiting for takeoff behind yours. They are my first choice for international travel. And right behind you was an AA 777, flight 176 for DFW. I have been on that flight several times and I love it.
Have you kissed a 777 today?

luv2fly

Tue Dec 09, 2008 11:26 pm

Nice report the product KLM offers looks like it really delivers. Thanks for sharing.
You can cut the irony with a knife

airbuseric
Topic Author

Tue Dec 09, 2008 11:34 pm

Hi, thanks for your comments!

Quoting Triple7man (Reply 1):
live just outside Tokyo so now I always see their 747-400 and now a 777-200 at NRT and wonder about their service.

Yes, I think 2 flights a week are flown with B747-400 Combi, to cover the maindeck sized cargo to/from TYO. KLM operates their full freighter B744F into KIX instead, covering the Southern part of the country.

It seems like your experience overall was good, but I can understand the frustration at the long wait for baggage, and that is why I always take my carry on suitcase instead of checking it.

KLM recently scored again a very low ranking among airline companies when it comes to baggage handling.

You mentioned the JL 777 waiting for takeoff behind yours. They are my first choice for international travel.

Thanks. Yes, JL provides a reliable service and is a very customer friendly airline.

And right behind you was an AA 777, flight 176 for DFW. I have been on that flight several times and I love it.

Nice to hear that. I just booked a AA B772 flight (JFK-LHR) for Spring 2009 and am looking forward to this one.

@ Luv2fly

Quoting Luv2fly (Reply 2):
Nice report the product KLM offers looks like it really delivers.

I think also that KL offers a steady product on which you can't really complain. Thanks!

Eric

phileet92

Wed Dec 10, 2008 1:56 am

Quoting Airbuseric (Thread starter):
directed us to the NW lounges located at gates 17 (close to ours) or 25. We decided to take the one near gate 25, since it wouldn’t be crowded with so much Dutch travellers (yes, they can be quite irritating some times Wink). We got access without problems. The lounge was nicely decorated with fresh flowers and brandnew furniture.

Is this lounge the one on the main concourse level or the one above accessible via escalator? I will be flying through NRT in April on NW and i really want to visit that lounge.

caleb1

Wed Dec 10, 2008 2:11 am

A very nice and informative report. Well done.

TDubJFK

Wed Dec 10, 2008 4:11 am

It seems like your experience overall was good, but I can understand the frustration at the long wait for baggage,

I don't think 35 minutes after -blocking in- to getting your bags, particularly off a big plane like a a 777 is all that long to wait. How spoiled are you, anyway!?  wink 
FLOWN: 744,742,M11,D10,L10,763,762,752,707,D8S,DC8,72S,727,738,734,733,732,M80,D95,D93,F10,B11,F28,F27,DH7,DH8,SH6,EM2

triple7man

Wed Dec 10, 2008 5:57 am

Quoting TDubJFK (Reply 6):
I don't think 35 minutes after -blocking in- to getting your bags, particularly off a big plane like a a 777 is all that long to wait. How spoiled are you, anyway!?

35 minutes after blocking in is not what I'm complaining about. 35 minutes after getting to the baggage claim is another story. I won't go into details but I remember a wait like that on AA at LAX. Another time my suitcase didn't get loaded onto a flight to LAX and I was connecting to YVR and HKG the next day. So I went to HKG with no suitcase. It is for reasons like that I always take a carry on suitcase and I don't consider that spoiled at all
Have you kissed a 777 today?

Milesdependent

Wed Dec 10, 2008 6:58 am

Very well written report, and some great photos. Thanks for posting, hope to read more from you in the future.

airbuseric
Topic Author

Wed Dec 10, 2008 8:27 am

Hi, thank all again for your kind replies,

Quoting Phileet92 (Reply 4):
Is this lounge the one on the main concourse level or the one above accessible via escalator?

It's indeed the one which you have to access by the escalator, which is near the gate 25 entrance (on the main floor). The other lounge is near gate 17.

Quoting Caleb1 (Reply 5):
A very nice and informative report. Well done.

Thanks!

Quoting TDubJFK (Reply 6):
I don't think 35 minutes after -blocking in- to getting your bags, particularly off a big plane like a a 777 is all that long to wait.

e.g. JL has a rule that F and J class passengers receive their baggage must be on the belt latest 20 minutes after block-in. So I guess KLM can do better also. It can be quite frustrating after such a long flight anyway, because I really want to go home  Wink

Quoting MilesDependent (Reply 8):
Very well written report, and some great photos. Thanks for posting, hope to read more from you in the future.

Thanks, and you'll read more soon, that's a promise Big grin

Cheers,
Eric

AA737-823

Wed Dec 10, 2008 9:09 am

Thanks for taking the time to write this- I enjoyed it.
I have had positive experiences on KLM, and so far I've only flown in Y!! I find their biggest strength to be in their cabin crews; I've never found an unfriendly flight attendant on KLM!

I am VERY interested to read your report on JAL. I used to work with JAL here in the States, so I can't wait to read about your experience!

airbuseric
Topic Author

Wed Dec 10, 2008 9:20 am

Hi,

Quoting AA737-823 (Reply 10):
I find their biggest strength to be in their cabin crews; I've never found an unfriendly flight attendant on KLM!

They are, I fully agree! And they are always in for a chat in the galley on these long flights.

Quoting AA737-823 (Reply 10):
I am VERY interested to read your report on JAL. I used to work with JAL here in the States, so I can't wait to read about your experience!

Actually there is one online since a few weeks now, but another of my hands will come online also rather soon.

Cheers,
Eric

DALCE

Wed Dec 10, 2008 9:34 am

Goedenmorgen Eric,

Seems that you had a pleasant flight with our national ( french ) pride KL!
They really offer a decent C-class product although not the best out there.
Thanks for sharing your report, with some great pictures, especially those of Siberia.
Hurry up with your Japanese domestic reports, I can't wait that much longer Big grin

Groetjes,
Joost (D-ALCE)
flown: F50,F70,CR1,CR2,CR9,223,E75,E90,143,AR8,AR1,733,735,736,73G,738,
753,763,744,77W,788,319,320,321,333,AB6.

airbuseric
Topic Author

Wed Dec 10, 2008 9:41 am

Hi, Joost,

Quoting DALCE (Reply 12):
Seems that you had a pleasant flight with our national ( french ) pride KL!
They really offer a decent C-class product although not the best out there.

Yeah, quite a good experience once again, although the seats are and KLM's baggage handling (at AMS) are their biggest problems, I think.

Quoting DALCE (Reply 12):
Hurry up with your Japanese domestic reports, I can't wait that much longer

Arghhh... I almost have no time to do it all  Wink And next week I've to fly again Big grin

Bye,
Eric

DALCE

Wed Dec 10, 2008 9:54 am

Quoting Airbuseric (Reply 13):
KLM's baggage handling (at AMS) are their biggest problems, I think.

It's not only KL at AMS, last time I came from ZRH, I had to wait at the belt for over 20 minutes for my baggage as well, and that was after a 30 minute wait at passport control. Baggage handler of LX is AviaPartner.

Quoting Airbuseric (Reply 13):
And next week I've to fly again

What a pity  Wink
For me the same, Saturday we head for London for 4 days  Smile
flown: F50,F70,CR1,CR2,CR9,223,E75,E90,143,AR8,AR1,733,735,736,73G,738,
753,763,744,77W,788,319,320,321,333,AB6.

rogerbcn

Wed Dec 10, 2008 2:06 pm

Hola Eric!

Thanks for this TR. Glad too se you are back home safe and sound!

I really enjoyed going through it and all the things you commented on it. The pictures are superb, and the meals look really nice.

Just one thing, I have flown KL several times to US and Canada and they always seem to overdose dishes with cream and sauce... It is something I do not really like. I prefer them more plain.

Anyway, I hope you enjoyed your trip and hope to keep reading them.

Salut!

Roger
"At reise er at leve" H.C. Andersen (Traveling is Living)

FLIEGER67

Wed Dec 10, 2008 7:27 pm

Hi, Eric,

good to read your impressions from another Japan trip.

It seems that KL staff does a very good job on your flight.

And also good to see something more coming up the next time.

35 years experience with the same company on the same route, wow!

Best regards,
Markus (FLIEGER67)
Tripreporter.net

StefanPAD

Wed Dec 10, 2008 7:41 pm

Hi Eric,

very nice and detailed TR. It was a very informative read and I like the pics as well. I booked 4 KL flights some years ago, but I have never been on a KL aircraft, because all were codeshares.

She was working with KLM over 35 years as cabin crew member, always been based in Tokyo and served only on this route.

Oh dear. I think we all love to fly, but 35 years only on the same route... No thanks  crazy 

Passing customs was also nothing special, since no custom check employees were on duty that afternoon?! At least, I didn't see one, and therefore it would've been easy to bring some electronics into the country.

Lucky you! I got searched some years ago in AMS with 5 cartons of cigarettes in my rucksack. Of course it was my own fault, but bad luck.

Looking forward to the next reports.

Tot ziens,
Stefan

ba319-131

Wed Dec 10, 2008 7:58 pm

Hi Eric,

Great report and pictures on the return trip, been looking forward to this, was not sure if it would be a 744 or the 772, so nice to see which.

I ended up in 03J (window), my collegue at 03E (middle of 3). Not the best seats when travelling together, but we couldn’t change it then.

- Regardless, at least you would get the magic window  Smile

Overview on World Business Class cabin on KLM’s B777-200ER

- I know we are inflight, but with the set up etc, looks quite untidy with papers etc - if you know what I mean.

the second mealservice was to be served. It was a kind of pasta with cream sauce. The looks of the pasta were not very good in my opinion, taste was also a bit bland and I didn’t like it very much. Therefore I decided not to eat it all and most of it was returned.

- Looks nasty, not migh imagination on this dish I think!?

Overall, KL seem ok, though the overall service/seats/meals do nothing to draw me away from travelling with BA or even AY when travelling to Japan. That said I am using QF & NH to get to NRT in Feb!

Look forward to the domestics as I've got some booked for Feb  Smile

Best Wishes

Mark
111 732 733 734 735 736 73G 738 739,7M8 BBJ 741 742 743 744 752 753 762 763 764 772 77L 773 77W L15 D10 D30 D40 AB3 AB6 312 313 318 319 320 20N 321 21N 332 333 342 343 345 346 359 351 388 CS1 CS3 I86 154 SSJ CRJ CR7 CR9 CRK 145 170 175 220

airbuseric
Topic Author

Wed Dec 10, 2008 8:31 pm

Hi guys, thanks again for your kind replies!

Quoting DALCE (Reply 14):
Saturday we head for London for 4 days

@ Joost, have a nice stay in London! Always a great city to spend some time prior to Christmas! Who will fly you over the Northsea?

Quoting Rogerbcn (Reply 15):
The pictures are superb, and the meals look really nice.

Just one thing, I have flown KL several times to US and Canada and they always seem to overdose dishes with cream and sauce... It is something I do not really like. I prefer them more plain.

@ Roger; meals are usually very well ok, but as you mention, and I did as well, the second meal was indeed not so nice, the looks were not good, the taste was also not mine. Maybe caused by the overdose of cream. I think you're right with your comment.

Quoting FLIEGER67 (Reply 16):
35 years experience with the same company on the same route, wow!

@ Markus, do you think we will collect 35 years service with the same employer some day?  Wink

Quoting StefanPAD (Reply 17):
I booked 4 KL flights some years ago, but I have never been on a KL aircraft, because all were codeshares.

@ Stefan; what a shame to get on codeshares only. As long as you don't end up on NW... I haven't heard many positive about them Big grin

Quoting StefanPAD (Reply 17):
Lucky you! I got searched some years ago in AMS with 5 cartons of cigarettes in my rucksack. Of course it was my own fault, but bad luck.

Usually when I arrive from Asia, customs is waiting and doing random checks. That's why it took my attention this time, all desks were empty. They should tell us in advance next time we travel, don't you think so?  Wink

Quoting BA319-131 (Reply 18):
Great report and pictures on the return trip, been looking forward to this, was not sure if it would be a 744 or the 772, so nice to see which.

@ Mark; this time JL was 744, KL 772. The second trip which I just finished last week was the other way around: JL 772 and KL 744. Report will follow on those as well, soon  Smile

I know we are inflight, but with the set up etc, looks quite untidy with papers etc - if you know what I mean.

I cannot like the KLM cabinsetting at all. The colours, the reclining seats (items fell out of the seatpockets all the time when people in front are fully reclining), plus of course the slippers, blankets, newspapers etc. It gives indeed a messy look.

That said I am using QF & NH to get to NRT in Feb!

I think at least NH is a rather good choice  Silly, when I've to spend my money, they would be my preferred so far.

Look forward to the domestics as I've got some booked for Feb

Working on it. Stay tuned!

Thanks again,

Eric

flynlr

Thu Dec 11, 2008 12:32 pm

while I would have liked to enjoy this TR since photobucket has decided I suck. I cannot see the pictures. may I suggest that everyone who does TR's host the pictures on their own servers ?or one that does not demand payment?
The Right of the People to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed

airbuseric
Topic Author

Thu Dec 11, 2008 3:25 pm

Hi

Quoting Flynlr (Reply 20):
while I would have liked to enjoy this TR since photobucket has decided I suck. I cannot see the pictures.

So, I hope you'll enjoy the report more now the pictures are back online and working. Hope to read your comments afterwards  Wink Thanks!

Eric

StefanPAD

Thu Dec 11, 2008 9:59 pm

Hi Eric,

Quoting Airbuseric (Reply 19):
As long as you don't end up on NW... I haven't heard many positive about them Big grin

I don't know. I've flown EW (in service for KL long time ago en route PAD-AMS) and EI on AMS-DUB and return.

Quoting Airbuseric (Reply 19):
Usually when I arrive from Asia, customs is waiting and doing random checks. That's why it took my attention this time, all desks were empty. They should tell us in advance next time we travel, don't you think so? Wink

Indeed. I arrived from MIA at 5:30am when they held up me  hissyfit  I thought they were sleeping or having a coffee.

Stefan

MH017

Fri Dec 12, 2008 9:22 am

Thanks for the TR and inflight pictures of KLM's Business-Class !!!

Since when do you live in Germany ?  Smile
don't throw away tomorrow !

PlaneHunter

Sat Dec 13, 2008 9:46 am

Hi Eric,

another excellent report with many nice pictures.

I think Boeing tries to sell a couple of these planes in Japan ?!

Let's hope Boeing will be successful!

The KLM Boeing 777-200ER being served …

KL's 777 is always a great sight, no matter where, no matter when...

Beautiful views outside …

Fantastic shot!

The looks of the pasta were not very good in my opinion, taste was also a bit bland and I didn’t like it very much.

The pasta looks like a soup, too much sauce! However, the food looks good in general.

She was working with KLM over 35 years as cabin crew member, always been based in Tokyo and served only on this route.

Amazing...

Boeing 777’s might be a bit noisy, the climate on board is rather good and I have the feeling that the airconditioning system on board creates a better environment for the passenger then what we see on the B747-400’s.

I have never found the noise disturbing. The 777 is one of the most comfortable planes to fly in.

PH
Nothing's worse than flying the same reg twice!

OA260

Sat Dec 13, 2008 12:38 pm

Hey Eric ,
Fantastic report and excellent photos. I really enjoyed reading it.

Thanks for the read and looking forward to the next one.

Philip

Contact Air

Sat Dec 13, 2008 7:05 pm

Hi Eric,

very detailed and interesting report about your return flight and some very nice pictures. The Northern landscape in the clear, sunny light above Russia and Scandinavia looks fascinating.

So obviously KLM's Business Class product is quite good, although there is always room for improvement, of course.

Regards
Christoph

readytotaxi

Sun Dec 14, 2008 4:11 pm

Thanks for a great report.
Have not flown KLM for a while, last trip I found the food to be bland and poor quality.
How is the new seat for sleeping? My last flight from Amsterdam to Aruba was very uncomfortable,very little sleep.
Your pictures were excellent. Thanks

[Edited 2008-12-14 08:11:51]
you don't get a second chance to make a first impression!
Growing older, but not up.

airbuseric
Topic Author

Mon Dec 15, 2008 9:11 pm

Hi guys, thanks again for all the replies  Smile

Quoting MH017 (Reply 23):
Since when do you live in Germany ?

From this week, for a few days  Wink I use the flag nowadays of the next destinations country.

Quoting PlaneHunter (Reply 24):
KL's 777 is always a great sight, no matter where, no matter when...

From the outside, yes! From the inside, I prefer JAL's on this route (when it comes to cabin interior)

The pasta looks like a soup, too much sauce!

Fully agree with you, and I didn't like this meal!

The 777 is one of the most comfortable planes to fly in.

True, it is. It's the onboard environment which makes it comfortable. But the B744 is more quiet inside, as well is the A343 and A346. Although, that's my personal opinion.

Quoting OA260 (Reply 25):
Thanks for the read and looking forward to the next one.

I hope to get some more online soon, but time is running out every day  Silly

Quoting Contact Air (Reply 26):
The Northern landscape in the clear, sunny light above Russia and Scandinavia looks fascinating.

It is indeed, although usually it's mostly covered with clouds and window blinds are mostly closed on these flights, so easy to miss some details. Weather in Russia is not good at all at these days. Yakutsk has temperatures of -50 degrees Celcius right now with < 500m visibility. When you look for a positive wintersport destination, Siberia is the place to go Big grin

Quoting Readytotaxi (Reply 27):
How is the new seat for sleeping? My last flight from Amsterdam to Aruba was very uncomfortable,very little sleep.

I only sleep for maybe 2 hours on such flights usually, as I can't get used to these sleeping positions. Although, I always slide downwards a bit on KL's seats, making them less comfortable. In that opinion, the JAL C-class seats are much better to rest in.

Cheers,
Eric

LH4116

Sun Dec 28, 2008 9:39 pm

Hi Eric

A very nice and interesting report!

The NW lounge in NRT looked very nice, I assume that their overseas lounge facilities are much better than the ones they have in the USA. Though I thought that AF-KLM already had a lounge in NRT.

The KLM 777 is a very nice looking plane. The interiors looked very nice, clean and well maintained. The World Business Class "recliner" seat, also look very nice and comfy, though I assume that it isn't nice to have the guy in front literally sleeping on your lap.

The meal service in KLM's WBC is in my opinion one of the best among the European legacies. The Starter looked tast and fresh, I especially liked the presentation of the food.

The main on the other hand looked very averege to me, and i find it a bit euphemistic that they intend to put every single ingredient of the meal on the menu. On the other hand this could might be good for people who are allergic, or for those who forgot to order a special meal.

The dessert and coffee looked both looked nice, though i found it a bit odd that they didn't serve cheese and dessert, instead of putting cheese as an option instead for dessert.
The only thing i found odd about the meal was the lack of bread plate, was there a certain reason to why the bread was wrapped up in aluminium foil?

I actually thought the pre arrival snack to look quite tasty, the presentation was at least nice. But of course, one can be fooled by the appearence.

Once getting closer to AMS, also the famous Delftblue Houses for Business Class were given. I got another example for my collection, which is lined up in the windowsill at my kitchen.

The Delftblue Houses, the thing that makes KLM's World Business Class so much more special than all the other airlines J products. It's nice to see that the airline still intends to keep their old traditions, and i hope that they will be kept for many years to come.

By the way, the houses given on the Japan-Amsterdam routes are filled with liquor.

I thought all houses were filled with liquor.
And if i remember correctly the houses are filled with Jenever, which is Dutch gin.
After all The Netherlands is the homeland of gin, not England as many people may think.

Thanks for sharing
SAS Plus is Business Class made faux!

airbuseric
Topic Author

Sun Dec 28, 2008 10:09 pm

Hi Jonas,
thanks for your feedback. Good to know you liked this report.

Quoting LH4116 (Reply 29):
Though I thought that AF-KLM already had a lounge in NRT.

I use this flight several times a year, and am always directed to the NW lounges. NW have 2 lounge facilities at NRT. btw, I tried to enter the KE (also Skyteam) lounge once, but also the KE staff directed by further to the NW lounge.

The interiors looked very nice, clean and well maintained.

True, but you can be unlucky with a seat on KLM's C class, as I will feature in my upcoming reports. So stay tuned for that.

The dessert and coffee looked both looked nice, though i found it a bit odd that they didn't serve cheese and dessert, instead of putting cheese as an option instead for dessert.

I think, when you ask for both options you will get them without problems.

The only thing i found odd about the meal was the lack of bread plate, was there a certain reason to why the bread was wrapped up in aluminium foil?

They came around with a bread basket, including normal bread. This time, I preferred the garlic bread, which was warmed up and in alu foil.

It's nice to see that the airline still intends to keep their old traditions, and i hope that they will be kept for many years to come.

I hope so too, since I'm still missing so many houses!  Silly

I thought all houses were filled with liquor.
And if i remember correctly the houses are filled with Jenever, which is Dutch gin.

Indeed correct, it's actually "Jonge Bols Graanjenever". As far as I know, some islamtic destinations (probably Iran and others in Middle East) see empty houses, since alcohols are not permitted.

Thanks again,
Eric  wave