sacamojus
Topic Author

Rare Report. ROA-SFB On G4 Pics!

Wed Dec 24, 2008 7:40 pm

Warning: This is my first trip report. Because I have limited experience writing these reports I will let the picture do most of the communication.

Background: I booked on G4 because they are the cheapest out of ROA to Orlando, $49 each way compared to over $400 roundtrip on the other carriers. I did splurge during booking and booked the exit row for my wife and me. The trip occured on December 23rd.

Airport:
ROA is a nice small little aiport. It doesn't have much. Just a small lounge and a newstand before security, and a small cafe in the terminal. The airport was busy that day of course given the time of year, but we did not wait more than 2 minutes to get checked in. We then proceeded to the lounge for a bite and boose. About 1 hour before departure, we went through security in 10 minutes and did some spotting (LOL).

Baggage Claim and Rental Cars

Check In

Stairs leading to security and airport amenities

Newstand

View from right outside newstand

Lounge area

View from the Lounge looking at the other gates

Lounge Dining Menu with a glass of Shiraz

Cheeseburger with french fries. It was good.

Terminal right after security

Spotting

Won't see these planes for too much longer. I wonder what will happen to airfares with a competitor gone?

Our plane coming in

Flight #768
Aircraft: MD83
Departure: 3:09 late (scheduled: 2:20)
Arrial: 4:40 late
Seat: 25 A,C exit row

Boarding:
Boarding went ok. They boarded from the back of the plane foward which seems logical. However, we were jammed up on the jetbridge due to people trying to stuff their luggage into the overhead bins. I can't blame them with G4 checked baggage fee. The plane couldn't handle all the carry on luggage and some needed to be checked.

Leg Room

View from the seat.

The flight attendants were quite nice given the time of year and that this was a full flight. We departed off runway 6. The takeoff was very powerful, the most fun time i have had on take off. The flight crew appeared to have held the brakes down while the engines gained power beyond spool up. We shot out of the airport into nice stable air, which gave me some good pics of the surrounding area.

Roanoke in the background

Roanoke

Service:
The service on board was quick, mostly because nobody bought anything. However, our tickets were cheap, so bought some stuff. They quickly served us and scanned my credit card.

Mine

My Wife's

Inflight

The Lav, nothing special

DAB

The Cabin

Not our plane, but the one parked next to us.

At this point, my camera used up all the available battery, so missed getting pictures inside of SFB.

We got into our rental car and drove to Lakeland to see family.

Impression:
Everything was great about G4 except for the boarding and that they were late. The service was on par with the legacy carriers, except for purchasing drinks, and the point to point service was a big plus for us since we have family in Central Florida. Both ROA and SFB are very nice small airports that we quickly breezed through and didn't have to wait at all, even for luggage.

I will be writing the return trip when I get back to Virginia, but please provide me with feedback about this report and some things you would like to see added. Thank You and have a Merry Christmas.

wn700driver

RE: Rare Report. ROA-SFB On G4 Pics!

Wed Dec 24, 2008 8:03 pm

Cool, you can totally see my hangar in the pic just before you took off! I know what you mean about spotting there though. Hope you like Dashs & CRJs, lol. I think your super 80 is the largest thing that goes through ROA with any regularity, (Except all those Miami Air 738 charters.)

Good TR.
Base not your happiness on the deeds of others, for what is given can be taken away. No Hope = No Fear

staralliance38

Wed Dec 24, 2008 8:23 pm

Thanks for that report. I'm on the other side of Virginia and I've considered driving to ROA just for Allegiant's cheap fares. Also, when I stay in Florida, they rather us arrive in SFB. That you so much!

BTW, any idea how the First Flight Certificate looks like?
Roar, lion, roar

atrude777

Thu Dec 25, 2008 2:31 am

Hey-

Good report Man.

Always nice to see G4 reports. The interior of G4 MD80's are actually A LOT nice then I had thought they would be. In terms of seat comfort was it pretty comfortable?

Thanks for the report and the in flight prices seem to be a bit reasonable considering the airfare prices you had to pay.

Alex
Good things come to those who wait, better things come to those who go AFTER it!

MKP1013

Thu Dec 25, 2008 3:23 am

Thanks for posting - this TR is a nice change of pace. Never been on G4, looks like a great airline. Well done for a first report too!

caleb1

Thu Dec 25, 2008 10:35 pm

I thought your trip report was very, very good. Much better than some of the "pros."

sacamojus
Topic Author

Thu Dec 25, 2008 11:46 pm

Thanks for your replies. Allegiant's seats where very comfortable, especially with the wingd seats. I will post my return trips with more pics about the two airports.

KBUF

Fri Dec 26, 2008 6:08 am

Quoting Sacamojus (Thread starter):

Looks like someone left a handprint on the overhead bin there...  duck   whistleblower 

andyinpit

Sat Dec 27, 2008 11:53 pm

Is it me or does the ROA control tower look exactly the RIC's?

ANITIX87

Sun Dec 28, 2008 4:23 am

Quoting AndyinPIT (Reply 8):
Is it me or does the ROA control tower look exactly the RIC's?

And ABE's.

Looks like G4 likes flying to airports with CRJ-200 domination and those control towers...

Great report!

TIS
www.stellaryear.com: Canon EOS 50D, Canon EOS 5DMkII, Sigma 50mm 1.4, Canon 24-70 2.8L II, Canon 100mm 2.8L, Canon 100-4

bahadir

Fri Jan 02, 2009 12:53 am

I thought you flew in Gulfstream 4 when I saw the title  Smile
ROA didn't change since early 90s when i was in school in Virginia Tech; except the US Airwasy 732s, 733s  Sad
Earthbound misfit I

FlyPIJets

Fri Jan 02, 2009 1:22 pm

Awesone - love seeing ROA. I grew up in Roanoke. I can remember 45+ flights a day out of ROA on mainline a/c. Now, only one and it isn't daily. Oh well, guess if it weren't for CRJ's and Dashs, ROA wouldn't get much service at all.

I love the fact you took a picture of the cheeseburger airport. ROA should re-vamp that lounge and make it more like a airline club lounge with the idea it is open to all, what with ROA being somewhat exclusive, now.

I am really glad ROA built that terminal, it would have been pretty easy for ROA to not do that. The planning for it occurred in the late 80's and by that time ROA was facing decreasing service. An increasing number of airlines, but, decreasing service.

Thanks for sharing.
Rex Kramer: Get that finger out of your ear! You don't know where that finger's been!

Soxfan

Fri Jan 02, 2009 2:59 pm

Great report! Two things stood out from the pictures: 1) ROA looks really nice, especially for a smaller airport! I like the red-brick design on the inside, and the terminal seems clean and bright. 2) As others have said, the inside of the G4 cabin looks a lot nicer than I expected; was your seat as comfortable as it looked?

Also, do you know why the plane was late in arriving?
Pilot: "Request push, which way should we face?" JFK Ground: "You better face the front, sir, or you'll scare the pax!"

lovetojetblue

Fri Jan 02, 2009 10:55 pm

Great report, thank you.
rare indeed
Jetblue: The official airline of Springfield! And Eventually: The official airline of Quahog, RI

asuflyer05

Sat Jan 03, 2009 3:17 am

Quoting Bahadir (Reply 10):
I thought you flew in Gulfstream 4 when I saw the title  

I thought I just had too much wine tonight. But apparently I wasn't the only one to think that. ROA didn't click either and I thought it was someplace more exotic like Roatan or something.

CairnterriAIR

Sat Jan 03, 2009 3:26 am

Neat trip report concerning an airport "off the beaten path". ROA looks like a nice uncongested terminal that is easy to navigate. I would love to try Allegiant someday, though I doubt they will be flying out of BDL anytime soon.

Nice pictures you took.

GSPSPOT

Sun Feb 15, 2009 2:35 pm

OMG - just came across your report. Very similar to my GSP-SFB report.
In case you're interested: https://www.airliners.net/aviation-fo...ums/trip_reports/read.main/140779/

I'm a "full service carrier" fan, but was blown away by our G4 flight. I can't believe the legroom in their standard seats, let alone the exit rows! I just wish they flew more places/more frequently than they do.
Great Lakes, great life.

AllegiantAir

Tue Feb 17, 2009 12:00 am

G4 must be the first airline I've seen that offers energy drinks (Monster) as a BOB. I may be ignorant and many more airlines do that, or is G4 one of the first?
Live to Fly.

atrude777

Tue Feb 17, 2009 11:51 pm

Quoting AllegiantAir (Reply 17):
G4 must be the first airline I've seen that offers energy drinks (Monster) as a BOB. I may be ignorant and many more airlines do that, or is G4 one of the first?

No, Southwest Airlines offers Monster drinks as a BOB too. Whether who was the first or not I don't know, but I believe WN started offering this May of 2008.

Alex
Good things come to those who wait, better things come to those who go AFTER it!

B747forever

Wed Feb 18, 2009 12:52 am

Very nice TR

Congrats on writing your first TR

The pics are nice

Seems G4 is a nice carrier.

Thank you for sharing

B747forever
Work Hard, Fly Right

JDAirCEO

Tue Feb 24, 2009 4:11 am

Hey man thanks for the great report. I graduated from Radford University and always had a hard time spotting in ROA. I remember seeing those USAirways 734 flying through the valley, none of that anymore!
An MD-80 is great... in first class

F9Animal

Sat Mar 14, 2009 4:40 am

Very nice TR. The cabin looks very comfortable. I like the colors. The snacks actually look good for BOB. G4 sure knows how to run an airline.
I Am A Different Animal!!

STT757

Sat Mar 14, 2009 4:55 am

Eastern from about 1990-January '91 was flying DC-9s into Roanoke from Atlanta.
Eastern Air lines flt # 701, EWR-MCO Boeing 757