HeartDoc
Topic Author

Dream Trip Part 2/3

Fri Dec 26, 2008 1:59 am

Thanks to all who read Part 1 and provided feedback. Merry Christmas to all. May we all find peace in this world. Before I begin on part 2, I heard a sermon today which described a true event in history.

During WW1, there was a major battle in France pitting French and Scottish forces on one side against German forces on the other. The battle continued for weeks leading up to Christmas Eve, when a German soldier who apparently was a renowned Tenor starting singing Silent Night. The Scots heard this and two soldiers starting to play bagpipes in tune with the Tenor. Shortly thereafter, both sides raised a white cease-fire flag and met in the middle of the valley. They exchanged pictures of their loved ones, stories, sang more and ate a hearty meal. A Scotish priest among them offerred mass at midnight. The next morning they buried the dead each side had killed with honor and dignity. That night both sides bid farewell and returned to their respective camps. When the senior command found out about the events of the night, they ordered for the war to commence, but neither side fired a bullet or round. They stood up and refused to fight. Quickly the German brigade was sent to the eastern front, the frech and scotih soldiers were reprimanded and the Scotish priest was demoted and banned from the church.

During this time of impending war among the Jews and Palestinians over Gaza, and the many other sites around the world, I found this sermon tremendously moving.

Hopefully, my TR 2/3 will also offer some happiness. Comments as alway are welcome.

Where I left off at the end of Part 1 is just after landing in Singapore Changi. I had to meet up with a cousin I had not seen in ages so I cleared customs and met up outside T3 where he was waiting. Before exiting, I did go to the First Class Lounge and asked kindly if I can take a quick shower. The attendant very politely but sternly told me that the First class lounge is for departure passengers only. After some discussion, I felt like I was nott getting anywhere so I headed to Immigrations/Customs. There are so many counters and the space is just huge it is hard to imagine there would ever be a delay.

We quickly went to his place, took a quick shower and went out to Orchard Road for dinner. I left my camera to charge so unfortunately no pictures. This is my third visit to Singapore over the years and the place never ceases to amaze me. I have always told my wife that if we ever had to leave the States, Sinagpore will be top of the list. The city is so clean, people are very friendly, plentiful shopping, and the food....OMG! Tremendous!

After dinner he took me to the bar at the Raffles and had a few Singapore Slings. Crashed back at his place and the next morning we went to the airport together. He was flying to Dubai on business and I back to Hong Kong on Cathay Pacific. Now CX flies out of T2. After check-in, I was given a pass to the lounge. The lounge is quite nice with a selection of finger foods, few selection of drinks, a shower, and more importantly a view of the tarmac, which the Singapore airlines lounge lacks. I was surprised to see that CX operates 4-6 flights from Singapore to Hong Kong daily and my flight was a A330.

Big version: Width: 600 Height: 450 File size: 78kb
CX Singapore - Hong Kong A330

I personally think this airbus model is the most pleasant to the visual cortex. It is sleek and the wing tips are huge. Boarding was quick and efficient. This aircraft had 2 classes with no First class, since this was a regional flight, I was not expecting the new business class seats although deep down I was hoping maybe it would be. But no luck, It had the old seats, the interior on the A330 is very spacious to me or appears that way with the big windows. I am sorry to report now that I was so tired, with jetlag and ETOH from the previous night that the next thing I remember is waking up on descent to Hong Kong. I was a little disappointed as I was left alone for the dinner service. Ironically the first emotion I had was that I was letting fellow A.netters down.

Now my purpose to Hong Kong was partly business, the group I had consulted for over the years had arranged my stay at the Peninsula and pick-up from the airport in a Rolls Phantom. As I deplained, a CX representative was standing there with my name, greeted me, carried my luggage and took me to Immigration. Formalities again were a breeze and a Peninsula representative was waiting and led me to the bad boy of luxurious sedans. The ride is so smooth, the leather is so soft, and the pure space of the back seat was equivalent to the First Class Suites Cabin (wait for TR #3).

Big version: Width: 350 Height: 467 File size: 65kb
Big version: Width: 600 Height: 450 File size: 88kb
Rolls PHANTOM

The following pictures from Hong Kong, a beautiful but expensive city.

Big version: Width: 350 Height: 467 File size: 86kb
The Peninsula Hong Kong
Big version: Width: 600 Height: 450 File size: 76kb
Harbour View Room
Big version: Width: 600 Height: 450 File size: 63kb
Harbour View
Big version: Width: 600 Height: 450 File size: 351kb
High Tea
Big version: Width: 600 Height: 450 File size: 89kb
The Peak
Big version: Width: 600 Height: 450 File size: 70kb
View on the way to Lantau

Quickly my work was done and it was now time to fly back to Singapore to catch my A380 flight. I left the Peninsula at 11:30 giving me enough time to explore the airport and the multiple CX lounges. I told the cabbie to take me to Terminal 1 as the SkyDeck is there. It is certainly nice but I think you get a better view on the Tram to Lantau.

Walked back to T2 and took me some time to find CX check-in gates. Got my boarding pass and my lounge pass, cleared security and immigration and now I was ready to explore. First stop the WING:

Big version: Width: 600 Height: 450 File size: 57kb
Entrance to THE WING
Big version: Width: 350 Height: 467 File size: 65kb
The Wing Business Class Section
Big version: Width: 600 Height: 450 File size: 93kb
View from the Wing

Exiting the elevator, the First Class is to the right and business to the left. The immediate response is very pleasant! It is on the second level and you do not feel enclosed. There are tremendous views of the tarmac and the multitude of heavies. Went to the coffee bar and ordered a cappacino and grabbed a few snacks from the deli area. I am not a huge fan of noodles so did not try this but there was quite a line of people waiting for their orders. From previous TRs this is a unique aspect of CX lounges. After 30 minutes of walking around decided to leave the Wing and walk around. I hit the majority of the duty free shops. My wife had been talking about an Omega watch so I was also shopping around for a good price. I used to think buying an expensive watch at an airport was silly and wondered who would do such a thing. I now find myself doing that very silly thing. The prices in Singapore in comparison were cheaper so I decided to head to the gate as my flight was leaving at 2:30. I also wanted to visit the PIER lounge. Luckily this lounge was close to the departing gate.

Big version: Width: 600 Height: 450 File size: 52kb
THE PIER

The Pier is underground, which I though was kind of neat. A direct opposite view of the Wing which was on the second floor. The view of the tarmac from a basement level gives a new perspective of ground activity. The Pier business class was so crowded, there was an actual line of 20+ people at the noodle bar. The First class lounge was not accessible to business passengers. This made me wonder;

Is the Pier more exclusive that the Wing?

Many more wide bodies during the afternoon hours

Big version: Width: 600 Height: 450 File size: 67kb
World of CX
Big version: Width: 600 Height: 450 File size: 74kb
SQ 777
Big version: Width: 600 Height: 450 File size: 71kb
Virgin, I would later see in Sydney

After grabbing a soft drink and finger sandwiches, I headed back to the gate where boarding for business passengers was starting. The equipment returning to Singapore was an A330 as well.

Big version: Width: 600 Height: 450 File size: 69kb
My A330 to Singapore

This time I was ready to stay awake and experience the CX service. I am a window guy so settled in 17A. The FA had unique colorful uniforms but I don not believe followed any rank. Everyone in business had different tops but similar almost purple skirts. The FAs looked young but it is very hard to guess Asian age. The service was very formal but not robotic like SQ. I was addressed by name and offered many refills throughout the flight.

Meal as follows:

Pan fried prawns with Cherry tomatoes
Mixed Salad

Braised lamb shoulder rack with kipfler potatoes and mixed vegetables

Cheesecake

Tea/Coffee

Pralines

Wine: Vieux Chateau Landon Cru Bourgeouis 2004
Chateau Pech-Latt Corbieres Vieilles Vignes 2006
(Sorry I only included the reds that I tried)

Big version: Width: 600 Height: 450 File size: 82kb
Big version: Width: 600 Height: 450 File size: 92kb

Before I really got settled in, the 3.5 hour flight came to an end. Sigapore was rainy but the landing was very smooth. Quite a long taxi to Terminal 2 where we deplained.

Summary:

Now for the comparison to SQ: To be fair once again I am comparing Business to First Class. My hats off to CX, the food tasted much better. This goes along with previous TRs that the catering service of CX out of Hong Kong is superb. The food tasted very “Fresh.”
CX >> SQ

Service, I would still give SQ a notch above. They are both very robotic and precise but the SQ girl personal attention is unique and leaves a lasting impression.
SQ > CX

Equipment, the A330 is a beautiful plane which SQ I don’t believe uses on regional flights. The CX business class is old and I don’t have a similar comparison in SQ business. However, the SQ fleet is more modern vs CX.
SQ > CX

Lounges, I was really impressed with Hong Kong CX lounges. Spacious, great views, good food with variable options. SQ T3 lounge is pure luxury with great attention to detail, colors, orchids, BUT with absolutely no views of the tarmac.
CX = SQ

My apologies for the lack of pictures, I decided to film more video clips during this sector. I tried to upload to YouTube and working on this. I will include a separate addendum once I get it figured out.

Next TR: A380

YOW346

RE: Dream Trip Part 2/3

Fri Dec 26, 2008 2:58 am

After stints, statins, and sevoflurane come CX F, Rolls Royce, gourmet meals, and titanium Amexes ! Did I mention your ability to provide thought-invoking trip reports with vibrance and quality? Congratulations on having a precious compilation of skills. I anticipate the third installment.

celestar

Fri Dec 26, 2008 3:03 am

Hi Doc,
Great report, especially enjoy your statement about the FA from CX and the 'robotic' service from SQ. I look forward to see your next stage TR.
Also, this is my first response on TR. I am hoping to write up one early next year, as I would be taking the daily chartered flight directly from Taiwan (Taoyuan) to Shenzhen China. Could be quite interesting.

Ryanair!!!

Fri Dec 26, 2008 3:34 am

CX flies out of T1, not T2. I can understand how you got confused as CX utilises the D gates in Terminal One and the concourse is directly connected to the E concourse in Terminal Two. Just keep walking, same roof, no direction change and voila! The carpet is different and you are in T2!
Welcome to my starry one world alliance, a team in the sky!

HeartDoc
Topic Author

Fri Dec 26, 2008 3:39 am

Hey guys

Thanks for the feedback and response. Celestar, I have never been to TAiwan nor Shenzhen. I find this foruma great way to visit the world in the comfort of your home. Please include pictures.

I am working on TR 3 which will come shortly

MKP1013

Fri Dec 26, 2008 5:37 am

Loving this set of TR's - thanks for sharing such an amazing journey. Sounds like a dream come true - ready for part 3!

NZ107

Fri Dec 26, 2008 11:23 am

Nice TR, although I would have loved more pics from inside the cabin!

Quoting HeartDoc (Thread starter):
Is the Pier more exclusive that the Wing?

I don't think so.. They just send you to either/or: whichever ends up being closer to the gate you are departing from. ie if The Wing wasn't there and you were departing from gate 4, you'd be having to travel a looooooong way to get to the lounge and back.. Same said about the Pier - I don't think they want you rushing to the gate at the far end of the pier from The Wing! So my guess would be that there were more flights leaving from around that area at the same time than the number of flights leaving closer to The Wing.

I'm glad to see pics from The Wing during the day because it was night time when I went there. It was great because we could see the boarding queue below us and spent a little longer in the lounge eating Movenpick ice cream.

I really wonder what the results would be like if you compared CX First with SQ First.

Did you venture to the toilets on the top floor of the Peninsula, opposite the restaurant?

Regards,
Nicholas
It's all about the destination AND the journey.

HeartDoc
Topic Author

Fri Dec 26, 2008 1:12 pm

NZ107

Thanks for the carification on the Wing vs Pier. The other eason I asked was that the Pier First class section is mergd with the business so I was able to stroll through. The Pier first class was a separate entrance and flying businss obviously granted No Entry.

Cabin pics.....I decided on this sector to film video over pictures. I have tried You Tube and Photobucket as others have advised but no luck in getting video clips into my TR.

I am still trying though, bc TR 3 of the A380 has some interesting cabin video which I think all would enjoy.

Lease provide some help if you know how todo this.

Again, thanks for reading!

EL-AL

Fri Dec 26, 2008 3:23 pm

Merry Christmas to all. May we all find peace in this world.

Hear Hear!
Merry Christmas to all Christions in the world. All of you are warmly welcome to Israel, to see the place where it all started.

I am a window guy

Aren't all A.netters are?

Thx for another great TR, I am looking forward to the 3rd part.
every day is a good day to fly

b707forever

Fri Dec 26, 2008 4:31 pm

Thanks Doc. Looking forward to the A380 report. I know you're going to be in a suite and look forward to it!

ag92

Fri Dec 26, 2008 5:13 pm

Excellent TR

Equipment, the A330 is a beautiful plane which SQ I don’t believe uses on regional flights. The CX business class is old and I don’t have a similar comparison in SQ business. However, the SQ fleet is more modern vs CX.

You should see the SQ regional business class, pretty much the same

N104UA

Sat Dec 27, 2008 12:50 am

Great TR can't wait for the A380 F class we have not had one of those in over a year
"Learn the rules, so you know how to break them properly." -H.H. The Dalai Lama

ba319-131

Sat Dec 27, 2008 7:28 pm

Hi Doc,

Nice report and pictures, am enjoying your service, look forward to the next one.

Kind Regards

Mark
111,732,733,734,735,736,73G,738,739,7M8,BBJ,741,742,743,744,752,753,762,763,764,772,77L,773,77W,L15,D10,30,40,AB3,AB6,A312,313,318,319,320,20N,321,332,333,342,343,345,346,388,CS1,CS3,I86,154,SSJ,CRJ,CR7,CR9,145,170,175,220

B-HXB

Sun Dec 28, 2008 2:45 am

A nice report... thanks for sharing. Just to clear up some confusion:

1. As already mentioned CX operate out of T1 in Singapore; and also out of T1 in Hong Kong (confusion compounded by the fact that in HKG T1 and T2 refer to two check-in halls located in separate buildings rather than "terminals" in the true sense a la Heathrow or American airports).

2. Both the Wing and the Pier are continuous. In the Wing the First Class section is separated from Business Class by an agent on duty. In the Pier they are connected by a long interior corridor with a glass door. Both lounges have separate entrances for F and J pax.

3. Uniform colours denote different ranks on CX. Black = Inflight Service Manager (lead flight attendant with responsibility for managing the cabin and flight), Purple = Senior Purser (flight attendant in charge of a particular cabin), Red silk blouse + navy skirt = Purser, White blouse + red skirt = Flight Attendant. Quite easy when you know how!

Futureflight

Tue Dec 30, 2008 5:55 am

Thanks for another great trip report!

Definately looking forward to your SQ A380 report Smile

Futureflight.
"Amazing journeys. Every day."

alaskaqantas

Tue Dec 30, 2008 8:39 am

great report thanks! I also enjoyed the first one. Im looking forward to reading about the suites!

which described a true event in history.

There is a great movie about this, Joyeux Noel. there are also various songs, my favourite being a John McCutcheon song titled "Christmas in the Trenches"

once again, I enjoyed the report a heap!
~Cheers-
~~Kyle H.
to some people the sky is the limit, to aviation enthusiasts, its home!

HeartDoc
Topic Author

Tue Dec 30, 2008 3:50 pm

Quoting Alaskaqantas (Reply 15):

Thanks for letting me know. I heard at at our Christmas mass sermon. I usually blank out during sermons but for some reason this really moved me and captured my attention. Fantastic really! Shows the human spirit in its innocence.