OA260
Topic Author

Turkish Airlines J Class IST-DUB/Lounge+Pics+Vids

Sat Jan 17, 2009 12:47 pm

http://i648.photobucket.com/albums/uu202/tka3203/THY_SA_dikey_logo_1.jpg

Welcome to the return part of my TK trip. After an amazing experience the day before on the 1st class suites it was time to fly back to Dublin. I left my hotel in a taxi at 0430am and arrived to the airport 20mins later. I had already been given my boarding card in LHR the day before so no check in required.

( The video links will follow in a few hours . )

DATE : 08JAN09
ROUTE: IST-DUB
A/C. : A320
REG: ???
SEAT : 3A
CLASS : BUSINESS
AIRLINE : TURKISH AIRLINES

The new First Class desk

Time to visit the TK lounge

Brilliant idea!! You go to this desk choose a paper in various languages and they scan you boarding card. You get 1 free per passenger.

Time to head to the gate

B777

I was offered a welcome drink by the crew. The pilot also announced that there would be a small delay due to connecting passengers.

Odd one out !!

Mahan Air

The crew came round with hot towel service.

Then offered a menu

The meal was really nice and after that I slept for a few hours I was so tired. I woke up as we were close to the Irish coast.

I decided to have a farewell Cherry Juice !!

We parked at the B gates and it was time to say goodbye to the crew. At the door there was an Irish guy dressed in TK uniform.

So in a few minutes I was outside and went to take a few photos of the Terminal 2 .

SR Technics hanger with GF metal on the ground. Soon to be gone .

I took the bus home after that and enjoyed my purchase with a nice coffee.

So thats the end of my report. Another good TK experience. Crew were 10/10 and so was the TK product. I noticed that the connecting passengers had come from all over including DXB / Far East / Asia etc.. TK must be doing something right. The Y class was over 90% full with 4 in J class. Not bad for mid week.

Comments appreciated as usual.

OA260

SQ772

RE: Turkish Airlines J Class IST-DUB/Lounge+Pics+Vids

Sat Jan 17, 2009 1:05 pm

Great review and pictures. The quality of TK's inflight product appears to be of very high quality. I wonder if this level of service and quality applies to economy class as well?

Perhaps it's time for me to re-visit Istanbul with TK...
There's always a better way to fly...

EI320

Sat Jan 17, 2009 1:10 pm

Hi Phil,

Thanks for another great TK report!

The IST terminal looks impressive, and the TK lounge looks very unique too.
A bit of a come down from the F experience, but the cabin still looks very comfortable and the food looks great too.

I liked the pics on approach to DUB.. The photo of the WX RJ behind the A330 has to be my favourite, great shot!

Thanks for posting,
EI320

rogerbcn

RE: Turkish Airlines J Class IST-DUB/Lounge+Pics+V

Sat Jan 17, 2009 2:12 pm

Hola Philip!

Well, well, well.... your late TRs have not less than amazed me. Not many LX flights for a while, it is obvious that you managed to survive the ordeal... OA and TK have really come handy and have been two nice additions to your extended flight experience.

IST lounge is really another world, no IKEA stuff around... it is simply amazing.

Quoting OA260 (Thread starter):
I noticed that the connecting passengers had come from all over including DXB / Far East / Asia etc.. TK must be doing something right. The Y class was over 90% full with 4 in J class. Not bad for mid week.

I have checked connection to the East from BCN and they have really attractive prices and offers.

All the best from sunny BCN.

Salut!

Roger
"At reise er at leve" H.C. Andersen (Traveling is Living)

neutral

Sat Jan 17, 2009 2:36 pm

Glad you had a good flight with TK,I've done the Dublin/Istanbul route 3 times and the service is always excellent.It funny the way the size of T2 at Dublin is causing all the fuss when you see the size of Istanbul,s international terminal and the room they have for the passengers is very good the lounge looks very inviting.

ba319-131

Sat Jan 17, 2009 2:40 pm

Nice report Philip!

TK really do seem to have a pretty decent product on the ground and in the air, I'd certainly be happy giving them a try one day.

The meal and it's presentation was pretty neat, liked it.

How did you manage to miss the aircraft reg when you had to walk up the steps?!

Regards

Mark
111 732 733 734 735 736 73G 738 739,7M8 BBJ 741 742 743 744 752 753 762 763 764 772 77L 773 77W L15 D10 D30 D40 AB3 AB6 312 313 318 319 320 20N 321 21N 332 333 342 343 345 346 359 351 388 CS1 CS3 I86 154 SSJ CRJ CR7 CR9 CRK 145 170 175 220

ClassicLover

Sat Jan 17, 2009 2:48 pm

Good report - thanks for that  Smile

Never seen the inside of a Turkish aircraft, so that was something new for me. Loved the lounge, very cool  Smile
I do enjoy a spot of flying, especially when it's not in economy!

luv2fly

Sat Jan 17, 2009 3:30 pm

The lounge was really a study in contrasts was it not? Very ornate even over the top and then very sterile and basic almost minimalistic. Not sure IMHO if it all works, I think they need a meeting of the minds to better pull it off.
You can cut the irony with a knife

vivekman2006

Sat Jan 17, 2009 3:57 pm

Nice trip report. The lounge at IST looks really grand. Also, the food onboard TK looks superb!!!

- Vivek

Eirules

Sat Jan 17, 2009 4:12 pm

Another nice TR Phil, as always in fairness.

The TK business class isnt quite in the same class as the first class we saw in part one but nice none the less. The food and in particualr the presentation look really good.

Well done again,
Andrew
The way you cut your meat reflects the way you live....

OA260
Topic Author

Sat Jan 17, 2009 4:12 pm

Quoting SQ772 (Reply 1):
I wonder if this level of service and quality applies to economy class as well?

Hi thanks . From the TR's in TK Y I have read its also good. The last time I experienced TK Y was IST-LHR on an A310 some years ago and I loved it back then.

Quoting EI320 (Reply 2):
The photo of the WX RJ behind the A330 has to be my favourite, great shot!

Hi thanks , Im glad you liked it.

Quoting Rogerbcn (Reply 3):
All the best from sunny BCN.

Hola Roger!!

Yes some different experiences than LX . Its nice to do something else sometimes. I miss sunny BCN !! I was there last Tues-Thurs . Was nice and sunny in the day but freezing at night lol...

Quoting Neutral (Reply 4):
size of T2 at Dublin is causing all the fuss when you see the size of Istanbul,s

Yes certainly if a big fuss . We need decent facilities at DUB to attract business. Some people dont realise that.

Quoting BA319-131 (Reply 5):
How did you manage to miss the aircraft reg when you had to walk up the steps?!

Haha Hi Mark. I was so tired and not fully thinking. Thats my excuse !! Im sure you will look it up for me on Acars??  Wink Where's B747forever when you need him LOL...

Quoting ClassicLover (Reply 6):
Loved the lounge, very cool

Hi Trent, Yes the lounge is cool even though its not everyones taste it kinda works when you are inside. Its a bit like having a yellow car in Ireland and then seeing it in Italy or Spain. It works in the Med but not in cold wet climates.

Quoting Luv2fly (Reply 7):
Very ornate even over the top and then very sterile and basic almost minimalistic. Not sure IMHO if it all works, I think they need a meeting of the minds to better pull it off.

Sometimes OTT is nice LOL....You will have to take a trip to see it !!

Quoting Vivekman2006 (Reply 8):
The lounge at IST looks really grand. Also, the food onboard TK looks superb!!!

Yes the food was lovely. I love that kind of breakfast anyway. Fresh natural yoghurt,olives,cheeses. hmmmm washed down with Cherry juice.

OA260
Topic Author

Sat Jan 17, 2009 4:15 pm

Knightsofmalta

Sat Jan 17, 2009 4:41 pm

TK looks rather good. But that lounge is just too hideous to behold! It looks like a really bad replica of the Dolmabahce Serai.

shamrock104

Sat Jan 17, 2009 5:36 pm

Nice report, thanks again for sharing.

TK J on the A320 doesn't look that great to be honest, its pretty standard. Not sure i'd be happy to sit in a standard J for what must be a fairly long european sector. Suprised they didn't keep 2x2 better J seats for long sector flights. Don't have have larger J seats on their 737's? Its been a while since I flew them ZRH/IST/ZRH on a 737.

dcajet

Sat Jan 17, 2009 5:39 pm

OA260

Another one of your great reports! Keep them coming!

Is it me having had my sensibilities ruined by BA/LH/QF lounges and years of Nordic minimalism, but isn't that lounge a bit over the top? Lots of bling for that early in the AM!

Regards!
"Unattended children will be given espresso and a free kitten"

Tkfan

Sat Jan 17, 2009 6:29 pm

Thank you Philip for this great TR and wonderful pics!!!!

Quoting SQ772 (Reply 1):
I wonder if this level of service and quality applies to economy class as well?

Seems they have also a decent product in Y class, there were some TR recently:

TK IST-MXP by TK787
TK BSL-IST-BSL by RJ100

Quoting Knightsofmalta (Reply 12):
TK looks rather good. But that lounge is just too hideous to behold! It looks like a really bad replica of the Dolmabahce Serai.

Regarding the comments about the Lounge, at the beginning it was intended to be a replica of Dolmabahce Serail, bu they got some harsh critisism from turkish media and frequent flyers. Influenced by those comments i didnt know what to think about it, but it seems most of their users like it.
I think its nice to have something different as the usual, as Rogerbcn said, "IKEA-furnished" lounges all around. Its a matter of taste, I would not decorate my house this way, but enjoyed a stay in such a place.

However, with the enlargement of the International Terminal in IST, TK will inaugurate a new and bigger Lounge.

Quoting Shamrock104 (Reply 13):
TK J on the A320 doesn't look that great to be honest, its pretty standard. Not sure i'd be happy to sit in a standard J for what must be a fairly long european sector. Suprised they didn't keep 2x2 better J seats for long sector flights. Don't have have larger J seats on their 737's? Its been a while since I flew them ZRH/IST/ZRH on a 737.

I think the first couple of rows have a better seatpitch (34"/35") compared to the usual Economy class. This is far better than other European Carriers have.

With the coming large order, TK wants to further improve their inflight service. Dedicated Business seats, PTV in B/C and Y/C also in Narrowbodies. The four A321 coming Jan/Feb will have those features....

RGElectra80

Sat Jan 17, 2009 7:04 pm

Solid TR, your pictures really come alive with your descriptions.
austinspotter.wordpress.com

FLIEGER67

Sat Jan 17, 2009 7:12 pm

Hey, Phil,

one more great story, nothing else expected, you know.

Like your lounge pix, definitely Istanbul!.

Best regards,
Markus (FLIEGER67)
Tripreporter.net

LH4116

Sat Jan 17, 2009 7:33 pm

Great report Philip! Great pics!

The TK lounge in IST was maybe one of the most beautiful lounges I've seen! I really liked the traditional turkish interior with the chandaliers, and the antique lookeig chairs. Really something different from today's so called espresso'ish trend design seen in most lounges. The food offerings looked average. One thing i really liked was the Mosque, it looked very nice and I'm sure many Muslims appreciate it.

The interior in the TK A320 was a big downgrade from your previous flight. But for being an A320 in Europe, the interior looked much better than the standards, especially with the little footrest.

When it comes to the food, it looked rather decent this time. The main breakfast dish looked very much like what's served in Y class. In fact i believe it's exactly the same now when TK have removed the paper tin foils in Y, and moved on to serving the food directly on the plate.

I took the bus home after that and enjoyed my purchase with a nice coffee.

Oh yah! Turkish baklava is indeed the real stuff, nothing can beat that!
SAS Plus is Business Class made faux!

airfinglas

Sat Jan 17, 2009 8:29 pm

Deleted due posted in wrong thread.

[Edited 2009-01-17 12:31:56]

airbuseric

Sat Jan 17, 2009 9:25 pm

Hi, Philip!

Wow, still a great experience, but what a difference of course with the B77W  Smile But, not negative, for sure. I think TK uses 2-2 layout in C (middle seat blocked)? The coloursetting of the interior is good, and I really like the meal presentation.
btw, Turkuaz is a new Turkish operator. I managed to nail it on a picture in the early morning on Boxing Day, last month. They now operate 2 weekly service to AMS, from Ankara and Adana, if I remember well.
Such a shame to see the BEA Bosphorus European A300's standing idle. These machines were lovely. Not from the inside I guess, but hey, nostaligic A300's should be in the air  Silly

Thanks for the report. Waiting for the next one. BCN I guess??  Wink

Cheers,
Eric
"The whole world steps aside for the man who knows where he is going"

Tkfan

Sat Jan 17, 2009 9:30 pm

Quoting LH4116 (Reply 18):
When it comes to the food, it looked rather decent this time. The main breakfast dish looked very much like what's served in Y class. In fact i believe it's exactly the same now when TK have removed the paper tin foils in Y, and moved on to serving the food directly on the plate.

Exactly my thoughts when I saw the breakfast, compared it with the TR of TK787's its the quantity of the food.
However I missed bread rolls on both flights???

And maybe in business they serve in real china iso plastic, and metal cutlery?

OA260
Topic Author

Sat Jan 17, 2009 10:06 pm

Quoting Knightsofmalta (Reply 12):
But that lounge is just too hideous to behold!

LOL... was the same replies in my A330 TR at the start of the year. Some people like it some people dont.

Quoting Shamrock104 (Reply 13):
TK J on the A320 doesn't look that great to be honest, its pretty standard. Not sure i'd be happy to sit in a standard J for what must be a fairly long european sector.

Well I guess it is the max Id want to do . Id prefer the old 2-2 seats also but on this ocassion with no one sitting next to me the table folds back into the seat and with the way the seat belts are made it makes for a nice comfortable flatbed lol... I slept so well on that flight. Best for a long time. Lots of pillows and blankets too. If however next time there is a A330 out of LHR id rather go out and back Via LHR with a BD connection to DUB rather than direct.

Quoting DCAjet (Reply 14):
Another one of your great reports! Keep them coming!

Thanks glad you liked it. Keep reading LOL...

Quoting TKfan (Reply 15):
Thank you Philip for this great TR and wonderful pics!!!!

Thanks

Quoting TKfan (Reply 15):
I think its nice to have something different as the usual, as Rogerbcn said, "IKEA-furnished" lounges all around. Its a matter of taste, I would not decorate my house this way, but enjoyed a stay in such a place.

Yes I feel the same way . Im fed up with going to lounges all over Europe and they are the same.

Quoting RGElectra80 (Reply 16):
Solid TR, your pictures really come alive with your descriptions.

Thanks for the thumbs up . I didnt write too much in this TR but like you say pics tell the story.

Quoting FLIEGER67 (Reply 17):
one more great story, nothing else expected, you know.

Hello Markus . Glad you enjoyed it. Looking forward to your next TR also.

The TK lounge in IST was maybe one of the most beautiful lounges I've seen! I really liked the traditional turkish interior with the chandaliers, and the antique lookeig chairs

Haha see everyones different . I guess its like QF Green A380 Y seats . You love em or hate em.

Oh yah! Turkish baklava is indeed the real stuff, nothing can beat that!

Oh yes I love that so much and also that company. The same Turkish company can be seen in Athens. I have to admit that box was totally gone in 48 hours !!

Quoting AirFinglas (Reply 19):
Deleted due posted in wrong thread.

I forgive you !! lol... Hope you enjoyed the report none the less.

Quoting Airbuseric (Reply 20):
btw, Turkuaz is a new Turkish operator. I managed to nail it on a picture in the early morning on Boxing Day, last month. They now operate 2 weekly service to AMS, from Ankara and Adana, if I remember well.

Howdy Eric !! You know you are telepathic. I was wondering about that airline and thought I must look it up on the web. You have answered my questions. Thanks

Quoting Airbuseric (Reply 20):
Waiting for the next one. BCN I guess?? Wink

You got a radar on me LOL.... Yes it will be BCN.

Quoting TKfan (Reply 21):
Exactly my thoughts when I saw the breakfast, compared it with the TR of TK787's its the quantity of the food.
However I missed bread rolls on both flights???

And maybe in business they serve in real china iso plastic, and metal cutlery?

The breakfast was perfect for the time of day IMHO. The cheese and salad with yoghurt was nice and then the hot meal really filled me up. Hot bread and croissants and pastries were also served. You can see the hot pastry on the top right of the tray. If I got that meal served on any morning flight I would be more than happy.

I hate these airlines that throw a sugar packed muffin a few slices of cheap meat and plastic orange juice at business class passengers. TK has the breakfast just right IMHO.

amax1977

Sat Sep 26, 2009 3:32 pm

The pictures have dis-appeared! Is it possible you post them agian?

Regards,
Amax

OA260
Topic Author

Sat Sep 26, 2009 3:43 pm

Ok done , just had to log in and out again. Hate it when it does that.

amax1977

Sat Oct 03, 2009 9:47 pm

Quoting OA260 (Reply 24):
Ok done , just had to log in and out again. Hate it when it does that.

Thank you very much. Such a great trip report.

Cheers,
Amax1977