coolfish1103
Topic Author

China Airlines Cross Strait Charter To Guangzhou

Fri Jan 23, 2009 6:12 pm

I had another trip with China Airlines on LAX to TPE. However, the experience was not so great and I had to write those little blue letters to complain. The IFE did not work and the meals were not so great. Therefore, I decide to skip that one and move on to the charter one I took right after.

You can always view the pictures on flickr as they are all loaded.. I just won't write the report. Here are some information about this flight.

Operating Airlines: China Airlines (中華航空公司)
Flight No.: CI 7977
Departure Time: 11:30 (Actual take off at 11:47)
Arrival Time: 13:35 (Actual arrival time at 13:52)
Operating Aircraft: A330-300 (Fruit Plane w/30 J in Dynasty Supreme)
Aircraft Registration: B-183N

I arrived at the airport quite early, and was quite surprised to find out that our flight had the 30J substituted in because it's usually not operated on the regional flights. Most of the planes aren't here in the mornings because they are either at Brisbane, Sydney, or Vienna. This plane in operation is the special livery fruit plane, and it is the first time I am on it.

This is also the first time for me to try cross strait charters, and I was very excited because I booked myself in J simply because I want to try the service (I heard the services on the cross charter planes are much better than Hong Kong routes). The other reason I booked J was because the price between J and B were only TWD3,000 (approximate USD9x), so I valued Dynasty Supreme over Economy. My parents think it's a waste because it's a short flight. However, my mom has to buy a J ticket as well due to full capacity during Chinese New Year.

We will start off with TPE as usual. This time... it's Terminal 2 and not Terminal 1 because they put all cross strait charters to Terminal 2. I think the Taiwanese government wanted to look good because Terminal 1 is way too old to present Taiwan. Also, China has so many modern airports (Beijing, Guangzhou, and Shanghai Pudong), so I think there's some... kind of competition? Although I think Taipei Taoyuan failed miserably...

I had some chats with the check in personnel in Terminal 2 because I was quite surprised that we have the 30J in this route. This also means that I get to experience their newly advertised 166 degrees in J. I must say this is a better improvement than the B747-400's 140 degrees because it's really different. Although it's not flat.. but you won't slide down like EVA Airways' Premium Laurel (it's just yuck to fly transpacific on it)... I had eye candy from check in to lounge to air because all the FA's look so beautiful =D!

Besides Guangzhou, EVA Airways has a flight to Beijing while China Airlines has a flight to Nanjing and Shanghai Pudong on this concourse. Usually, EVA Airways use the other concourse (I will be on their A330-200 to Brisbane soon)...

Today's lounge is quite empty because I am on the morning flight. Most of the B747-400 flights for this terminal are at late nights to Canada and U.S., so we are not stuck with it. The B747-400 flight to Tokyo Narita have already took off, so... not a busy lounge today.

As usual... shower first because I did not do it at home!

Can you see the cost down here?
The Dynasty Lounge no longer uses metal silverware anymore... they have been replaced with plastic... also the cups are paper cups instead of glass ones. The ones for wines are still glass ones.. but I am not going to use glass ones for soda... Anyways... the usual noodles and Yatse.

I must say the lounge food in home base is much better than Los Angeles. That lounge is just a disgrace with so many airlines sharing... it's packed to hell. Also, the only warm food they serve there is "instant noodles." I had some dim sum and baos as well along with 2 bowls of noodle... one wonders how I can fit my stomach with the food in flight...

On my way to the gate... today is at D1... not too far but still a bit of walk...
D4 was taken by United Airlines' flight to Tokyo Narita... it's amazing that there's so many flight to Tokyo Narita per day from Taipei...

The A330-300 that's taking me to Guangzhou... with fruit livery. Our boarding gate is at D1, and I was the last passenger to arrive in Dynasty Supreme because I know China Airlines usually don't get all the passengers on board very soon. When I was down there, I see so many passengers in there.. but it was passengers for Nanjing (their boarding gate changed) flight. I was wrong this time because most of the Economy passengers already boarded (still waited for like 20 minutes). A B744-400 parked next to us in A10...

A China Eastern aircraft and Air China aircraft (if you can see the tails).
The Air China aircraft was also a special livery one... a flower (牡丹花)... but I don't know the English and am too lazy to google.

Cabin Flown: Dynasty Supreme
Seat: 1A

Seat Pitch is good.

There's also warm towel, long haul blankets (not the cheap ones used for Southeast Asia), and obviously pillows.

Cabin is quite full.. there were 4 empty seats (one being next to me until someone changed seats due to IFE failures). This is the 33A, 2-2-2 layout with 5 rows, where there are 30 seats. From eye view, this flight is actually 50 to 75% full in Economy... not bad.

Welcome drink and nuts. The purser took my jacket when I sat down.

Noise canceling headset and newspaper to read.

Menu for all charter flights.
Apparently all charter flights utilize this menu besides Shanghai Pudong... Anyways, there are two choices to pick, and the menu rotates every half months. I will write them on here as well since the picture is small (or you can enlarge it thru flickr).

Appetizer/Salad: Curry crab meat julienne with shrimp (咖哩蟹絲襯鮮蝦)

Main Course for my flight...
Option 1: Sauteed grouper and mushroom with fried rice (野菇石斑球佐炒飯)
Option 2: Pork chop in balsamic tomato sauce with green pea mashed potato (起司茄醬豬扒佐青豆薯泥)

Main Course for flights on Jan. 16 - 31...
Option 1: Fish roulade with red fermented rice (雪菜魚柳佐紅麴飯)
Option 2: Pan-fried chicken in tomato sauce with risotto (茄醬雞塊佐燉飯)

Fresh fruits of the season

Beer, Champagne, Wine, and... etc. list.

I had Champagne on that day... freshly opened!

Korean Air A330-300 in the far end in Concourse A.
China Airlines' B747-400 and A340-300 in Concourse A as well.

On Air!
Crew 10,000 feet.

All served on the plate.

I took Sauteed grouper and mushroom with fried rice (野菇石斑球佐炒飯), not bad.
The appetizer is kinda weird with the curry in there, but edible.
The fruit was 2x Guava, Pineapple, and Watermelon (much generous). I remember the last Hong Kong J flight I took there were only 3 pieces of fruit. Also, the recent flight from LAX in Y has no fruits at all on the first meal... more like what the hell...?

After meal Green Tea.
The flight attendants were quite attentive throughout the flight, was superb on this leg.

This is their survey... my friend told me it's a newer one (never took one before).

I think the FA picked me as their choice cause I was the youngest on the flight... she actually looked around and then picked me lol... Maybe they think young people will not be mean on the survey? I wasn't mean anyways.

The flight still went through Hong Kong air space.. then it took the four turns after the flight left Hong Kong... a shape like this 2x ㄣ if your computer can understand Mandarin.

Guangdong Province... not sure where I am at the moment.

This is Guangzhou City.
This bridge is called Luoxi... there's another one next to it called Star Light...

Another shot

Landed...
According to CAA regulations... blah blah (but I took it anyway)...

We were stuck here for like 10 to 15 minutes for some unknown reason... so I started taking photos of other aircrafts landing or takeoff... This is the JAL plane from Tokyo Narita I believe... or could be Nagoya/Osaka Kansai? Not sure what it is though... a small aircraft for sure...

Another victim that is behind us that must wait as well...
Thai Airways International.. I think this is A330-300 as well?

ANA All Nippon Airways aircraft to Tokyo Narita... I think? I know this is not to Nagoya...

We parked next to the ANA flight and left the plane like 5 min after. The immigration at Guangzhou Baiyun was a breeze... and I think they don't do checks on you at the customs if they know you are from Taipei (don't know why). Passengers who don't look Asian or aren't on the charter flights are usually directed to have their baggages scanned. My baggage came out pretty quickly (about 5 min wait).

Check In at TPE: 10/10
Lounge: 7/10
FA Service: 9/10
On Board Hardware: 9/10
Beverage and Meal: 9/10
Baggage Handling: 9/10
Ground Service at CAN: 7/10 (the long wait on ground wasn't so nice)

Overall Experience: 60/70

I will be taking the return flight back tomorrow.. I will give another report on this thread if it's not a bad experience!

anonms

RE: China Airlines Cross Strait Charter To Guangzh

Fri Jan 23, 2009 8:39 pm

Sounds like fun, I really wanna fly on one of those cross-strait flights sometime.

Quoting Coolfish1103 (Thread starter):
I had eye candy from check in to lounge to air because all the FA's look so beautiful =D!

Always my favorite reason to fly CI.
This is my signature.

phileet92

RE: China Airlines Cross Strait Charter To Guangzhou

Fri Jan 23, 2009 9:11 pm

Not sure what it is though... a small aircraft for sure...

looks like a 738 to me.

Great trip report. certainly unusual.

ba319-131

Fri Jan 23, 2009 9:20 pm

Nice report and pictures, enjopyed the trip, thanks for sharing.

This is the JAL plane from Tokyo Narita I believe... or could be Nagoya/Osaka Kansai? Not sure what it is though... a small aircraft for sure...

- Looks like a JAL 738.

Regards

Mark
111 732 733 734 735 736 73G 738 739,7M8 BBJ 741 742 743 744 752 753 762 763 764 772 77L 773 77W L15 D10 D30 D40 AB3 AB6 312 313 318 319 320 20N 321 21N 332 333 342 343 345 346 359 351 388 CS1 CS3 I86 154 SSJ CRJ CR7 CR9 CRK 145 170 175 220

YOW346

Fri Jan 23, 2009 10:22 pm

The fruit plane looks lovely on the outside. Although I do wonder, why? Why the fruit? A great trip report!