Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Globetraveller
Topic Author

The Short-Haul Intra-EU Faceoff: Lufthansa

Fri Feb 13, 2009 1:03 am

The Short-Haul Intra-EU Faceoff: Lufthansa, Air Berlin & Flyglobespan

Welcome to my short-haul intra-EU flight series. In between my usual long haul travels, I needed to go to several European destinations to visit some family and friends. However, this created a unique problem: I needed to buy several one way tickets and these are often excessively overpriced. Thankfully, after spending the better half of a day hunting for the best prices, I managed to find some reasonable deals on three different airlines.

Introduction

Low Cost Carriers; whether you love them or hate them, it is undeniable that they have become a substantial force in the aviation industry. Some argue that these airlines are the best advancement in aviation over the last decade. For example, it could be said that Michael O’Leary, the CEO of Ryanair, has made a larger contribution to bringing people in Europe together than the European Union and its introduction of borderless travel in Europe. On the other hand, environmentalists blame Low Cost Carriers for excessive carbon emissions and unnecessary traveling. I mean, who needs to fly to Paris for dinner?

Personally, I am not a massive fan of Low Cost Carriers and I usually try to fly with legacies if I can. I hate being nickel and dimed to death for absolutely everything and I find that the difference in fares to full service carriers, with all things such as baggage charges considered, is often not as much as one would imagine. When I was looking around for tickets to travel from the United Kingdom to Germany and from Germany to Majorca, the very reasonable fares and simple connections of Lufthansa and Air Berlin won me over. However, when I was looking for flights from Majorca to Edinburgh, Flyglobespan had a deal I could not refuse.

So why am I comparing a low cost, a semi low cost and a full service carrier on different routes? Well, I think the PAD-PMI, PMI-EDI and BHX-FRA sectors are actually quite similar. They are all short-haul intra-European flights less than three hours long. Additionally, the ticket price per mile was 9.88 Euro cents on Air Berlin, 8.47 Euro cents on Flyglobespan and 10.78 Euro cents on Lufthansa, which is also not too dissimilar either. Just for comparison, an SQ ticket from SIN-FRA is about 30 Euro cents per mile! So, is Air Berlin really a semi low cost carrier? Or is it the same as Flyglobespan? And what can Lufthansa bring to the table in defense of the Legacy carriers? Read on and find out.

General Flight Overview

Airline: Deutsche Lufthansa (LH)
Flight number: LH 4907
Origin: Birmingham International Airport (BHX)
Destination: Frankfurt am Main International Airport (FRA)
Distance: 477 miles
Scheduled departure time: 07:00
Scheduled flight time: 1 hour 40 minutes
Class of Travel: Economy Class
Seat: 5F
Equipment: 737-530

Departure Airport

Birmingham International Airport (BHX) is the sixth busiest airport in the United Kingdom. It handles almost ten million passengers a year and serves the cities of Birmingham and Coventry as well as the surrounding countryside. The length of the single runway at BHX is 2600 meters, which is comparatively small for an airport this size.

I arrived at Birmingham International Airport at 4:00am, because this was the only time I could be dropped off by my friend. At this early hour, the terminal building was completely deserted: there was no one in the departures hall and there were no flights departing for another two hours. The only signs of life could be found at Starbucks and Costa, but even here there were only one or two people to be seen.

Outside the departures hall at BHX.

The empty row of counters at four in the morning.

The lifeless main departure hall at BHX.

One of the main reasons why I chose to fly out of Birmingham instead of London was because of the Airport. Birmingham International Airport is well laid out, it is not overcrowded and it is not run by the BAA.  Smile The overall airport experience was very relaxing and surprisingly comfortable. By 4:45am many of the check-in areas were slowly opening, including the Lufthansa counters in Terminal 1.

The upper floor of the departures hall.

The deserted Lufthansa check-in counters before the terminal came to life.

Instead of heading to the counter to check-in, I decided to use one of the quick check-in machines. The interface was very easy to use and I had my boarding pass in less than two minutes. It was then simply a matter of dropping my luggage off and I was good to go. The agent at the quick baggage drop was very cheerful and friendly for this early hour in the morning and she efficiently tagged my luggage through to Frankfurt. The entire process was very well thought out, and I was soon able to proceed for departure without further ado.

The four Lufthansa check-in counters at BHX.

The relatively quiet corridor leading to the Terminal 1 Departures.

The entrance to the airside section of the terminal building.

It was now 5:10am and the terminal building was still very quiet. There were no queues at the ticket check and the security screen, making for a very smooth passage into the waiting hall. Sadly, at the security check, the man operating the x-ray machine decided I was carrying a few too many electronics. Initially, I thought it was just a matter of showing him that they all worked – which they obviously did, but he decided this was not enough. All of my devises were then wiped down with a cloth and analyzed for traces of explosives! The whole experience was rather embarrassing and totally unnecessary in my opinion.

After my incident at the security checkpoint I was obviously annoyed, but the sight of the beautiful waiting hall made all the previous hassle become a distant memory.

The very modern and clean waiting hall at BHX.

The designers of LHR could learn a thing or two from this airport.

Notice the ample space and numerous seating opportunities.

One of the highlights of Birmingham International Airport has to be the waiting hall in Terminal 1. There are numerous shops, plenty of seats, very clean toilets and everything else the weary traveler could ever ask for. Compared to other British Airports, the cleanliness and design was a class above the rest. Furthermore, the layout was contemporary and the mood lights in the ceiling added to the great atmosphere; I was very impressed.

The very current ceiling design with the mood lighting.

Seats anyone? There were literally hundreds available.

After exploring the wonderful waiting hall, I still had a little more than an hour left until the scheduled time of departure of LH4907. At BHX, passengers are only allowed to proceed towards the gates when boarding for their respective flight has been announced. Apparently, this is for ‘security reasons’. After indulging in a little reading for half an hour, the flight information screens showed that my flight to Frankfurt was ready for boarding. Eager to get one or two cabin shots of by aircraft, I quickly proceeded to Gate 54.

The tunnel to some of the gates at Terminal 1.

The rather dire look of the tunnel to Gate 54.

The entrances to Gates 39-54 at BHX.

I was the first passenger to arrive at Gate 54 and the Lufthansa agent looked surprised to see me when I showed him my boarding pass. After he scrutinized my passport and boarding pass, he wished me a good morning and a pleasant flight. I then proceeded down the cold and empty jetway towards the Boeing 737-500, which was waiting for me on the tarmac. I was onboard LH4907 at 6:39am, 21 minutes before the scheduled time of departure.

The gloomy jetway leading to LH4907.

Aircraft

Lufthansa is Germany’s largest airline and it has quite a varied fleet of aircraft. As of today, the airline has 323 aircraft with 171 orders - 63 of these planes are Boeing 737s. These aircraft, 33 of which are 737-300s and 30 of which are the 737-500 variant, are used on routes throughout Europe and Northern Africa. The flights between BHX and FRA are usually operated by both 737 variants and this morning a 737-500 was dispatched. Lufthansa’s 737-500s seat 111 passengers in a variable two class configuration, making it smallest aircraft in Lufthansa’s mainline fleet at this point in time.

My aircraft today, D-ABIP, was definitely not one of the newest planes in the sky today. In fact, at a ripe age of 17, this aircraft was one of the older 737-500 in Lufthansa’s massive fleet. Nevertheless, the cabin was immaculately clean and amazingly well maintained. Lufthansa’s upkeep of this aging cabin was simply stunning and I have seen brand new aircraft in a worse condition than D-ABIP. The cabin was configured in the usual 3-3 layout with a seat pitch of 32 inches and width of 17.5 to 20 inches. Overall, the seat comfort was more than sufficient for a two hour flight, even for taller individuals such as myself.

D-ABIP:

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Alexander Karmazin
View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Gerry Hill - WorldAirImages

This 737-530 had its maiden flight in March 1991. The aircraft is owned by Lufthansa and the first flight in Lufthansa colors was in April 1991.

D-ABIP at the remote stand in Frankfurt.

Flight

My boarding pass for LH4907 from BHX to FRA.

I think that I managed to catch the crew a little off guard when I stepped onboard LH4907, because the captain was still in the galley chatting to two members of the crew. As they saw me approaching, they quickly straightened up their uniform and smiled at me. I was greeted by a very cheerful “good morning” by all three them and the captain then invited me for a quick picture in the cockpit after he saw me snapping several shots of the empty cabin.  Smile Wow… what happened to the grumpy Lufthansa flight attendants of the past?!

The Economy Class cabin on this Lufthansa 737-500.

The typical grey and blue Lufthansa interior.

Sadly, when I reached my seat in row 5, I noticed that this was a windowless row. My only hope now was a light load on LH4907, because I cannot stand not having a view.  Sad However, when I asked one of the flight attendants if there would be any seats left, she reassured me that there would be plenty available. All I could do was to wait patiently while the remaining passengers boarded.

My seat on LH4907: the windowless 5F.

The cabin during the slow boarding process.

The old school panels on this 17 year old aircraft.

The cabin filled very slowly and I was already preparing for a late departure when I suddenly heard the head stewardess announcing that boarding was completed. I looked around and counted about 15 passengers in Economy Class and one person in Business. This would definitely not be a profitable flight. On the bright side, I guess there was plenty of space to move around after all.  Smile Without hesitation, I moved one row forward to seat 4F.

The impressive legroom on this 737-500.

The curtain separating Business and Economy Class between rows 3 and 4.

The abysmal load on LH4907.

As the passengers settled down for departure, the captain welcomed everyone onboard and outlined the important flight information. Today would be a quick flight at just over an hour and the cruising altitude was 30000 feet. The cabin crew then performed the manual safety presentation before pushback commenced at 7am sharp.

The gloomy weather in Birmingham on this cold winter’s morning.

The early morning Lufthansa flight to Munich.

When the captain began taxiing towards runway 33, he must have forgotten that he was no longer in his car, because he was taking the corners as if he was in a Lotus. I had never contemplated how well the 737 would perform on the race track, but from what I could see it seemed to handle the corners pretty well.  Smile Is anybody willing to ditch that sports car for an upgrade??  Wink

The snow covered airport perimeter as D-ABIP raced along the taxiways.

The new international peer which is under construction at Terminal 1.

D-ABIP reached runway 33 within no time, only to have to wait for an Air France CityJet Avro RJ85 and a Ryanair 737-800 to takeoff. The little Avro was first in line and it made one massive roar as it began accelerating down the runway. In fact, the Ryanair 737 seemed rather quiet in comparison! At 7:10am, it was our turn and LH4907 taxied onto the runway. After a short wait and with the breaks still deployed, the little CFM 56 engines spooled up to full thrust. When the captain eventually released the breaks, the savage acceleration hurled my body into the back of my seat with brute force. I had never experienced anything like it, but it sure was a lot of fun.  Smile

The terminal complex as we raced down the runway.

The beautiful sunrise as LH4907 cleared the thick layer of clouds.

After a short steep climb, D-ABIP cleared the thick layer of clouds hanging over the Midlands. Up here, the sky was clear and the sunrise in the East was spectacular. The entire cabin was lit up with the warm orange light of the sun, creating an amazing effect that no mood lighting could even come close to.

The thick layer of clouds covering the Midlands.

With such a light load, the CFM 56 engines were having an easy ride today.

The astonishing sunrise on the horizon.

As D-ABIP started leveling off at 30000 feet, I decided to have a look at Lufthansa’s inflight magazine. My first impression was that this magazine was a lot thinner and more flimsy than those of other carriers. The content was not very impressive either, especially when one considers that the Lufthansa Group has one of the largest fleets in the world. However, this was the only form of ‘entertainment’ available as the aircraft Lufthansa’s short haul fleet do not have PTVs in any class.

On the other hand, the seats on the 737-500 were very comfortable. There was ample legroom even for someone my height and the leather covering was nice and soft. I could have easily sat in my seat for several hours without complaining: it even put some of the other airlines’ long haul products to shame.

Lufthansa’s rather poor inflight magazine.

The 737-300 & 737-500 safety card.

A glimpse of the snow covered United Kingdom through the clouds.

About 20 minutes into the flight the food and beverage service commenced. To begin with, one of the friendly stewardesses came around with the beverage cart. This being Lufthansa, I always spoke to the flight attendants in German, which seemed to make the conversations a lot more personal and casual. This was definitely a nice break from the standard formal English dialogue I am used to.

“Good morning young man. Can I offer you something to drink on this beautiful day?”
“Of course. Could I please have an apple juice with sparkling mineral water?”
“No problem! How about some coffee or tea as well?”
“No thanks. That’s all for now.”
“Sure. I’ll come back to you in a little while then.”

My apple juice with sparkling mineral water.

The snow covered town of Cambridge from above.

Soon after, the other stewardess came by with the food cart. She was equally as bright and cheerful as the other flight attendant who had just served me the drink. Overall, the Lufthansa crew on this flight was a breath of fresh air and I can only compliment them on the excellent level of service they provided.

“Could I please offer you some sandwiches?”
“Yes please”
“Here you go. Could I get you anything else for now?”
“No thanks. I’m all set.”

The small Lufthansa sandwich packet.

The two sandwiches tasted average and they were nothing special; the one with cheese as quite dry and tasteless, but the egg and onion piece was not too bad. This was after all only a one hour flight, so the food was sufficient for such a short journey.

To my surprise, there was another beverage run shortly after I had finished my sandwich. Two drink runs on a flight lasting just over an hour is amazing in any class, especially in these days of endless cost cutting. Without hesitation, I ordered another apple juice with sparkling mineral water.

The two sandwiches. One came with cheese and the other with egg and onion.

My second cup of apple juice and sparkling mineral water.  Smile

The beautiful scenery outside my window.

By now LH4907 had already crossed the channel and it was almost time to start the descent. Before the seatbelt sign was turned on, I had a little stroll around the cabin. If there is one aspect where the Lufthansa Group is a world leader, the way they maintain their aircraft would have to be it. This 737-500 was almost 18 years old and it was in an impeccable condition. From the seats to the hand luggage bins to the galley, everything looked as good as new. I am sure LH will have no problem selling these old birds when they start phasing them out later this year.

The light cloud cover over the English channel.

Crossing into German airspace.

At 8:10am the captain announced that LH4907 had just commenced its descent into Frankfurt. He also provided some additional information on the weather and expected time of arrival. The flight attendants then came around for a final check of the cabin as the seatbelt sign came back on. Below, the layer of clouds had become thicker once again and soon D-ABIP left the clear blue skies behind.

The grim weather over central Germany.

The starboard 737-500 wing as LH4907 was about to be enveloped by the clouds.

Just as the captain had announced before the descent, Frankfurt was completely covered in fog this morning. By 8:25am (GMT), D-ABIP was completely surrounded by the thick mist and I could sometimes barely make out the end of the wing a few meters away. As the aircraft lined up with runway 25L, the flaps were extended and the landing gear was deployed.

The white expanse with less than a minute remaining until touchdown.

The ground finally came into sight just before the airport perimeter.

I was very surprised that there were no delays at Frankfurt with the thick fog covering the airfield. I guess they are prepared for this sort of thing. After a smooth descent, LH4907 touched down on runway 25L at 9:32am (Central European time), eight minutes before the scheduled time of arrival. The atmosphere at FRA this morning was very gloomy to say the least.

Seconds before touchdown on runway 25L.

Touchdown, with the speedbrakes and thrust reversers deployed.

The Lufthansa Technik building hidden in the fog.

As soon as we left the runway, it became clear that the captain was going to try to break the world taxiing speed record once again. The only thing stopping him was a landing 737-500 on runway 25R, but after a short wait he was cleared to continue his race to the remote stand.

Another Lufthansa 737-500 landing on runway 25R.

The wet and icy runway 25R as LH4907 continued to speed to the remote stand.

Some of the numerous Lufthansa planes of all variations at FRA.

By 9:37am, three minutes before the scheduled time of arrival, D-ABIP came to a screeching halt at the remote stand. With such a light load, there was no pushing and shoving in the cabin and everyone took their time to gather their belongings; it was a very comfortable experience. As I was leaving, I thanked the crew for a truly wonderful flight and stepped into the freezing cold outside.

A beautiful A340-600 standing in the morning fog.

My neighbor at the remote stand: a brand new Adria Airways Canadair Regional Jet CRJ900.

Arrival Airport

Frankfurt am Main International Airport (FRA) is one of the busiest airports in the world. It handles in excess of 50 million passengers every year, making it the eighth busiest airport on earth. Sadly, there are just not enough jetways to handle the hundreds of aircraft arriving at this hub on a daily basis, so LH4907 had to use a remote stand today. This did not really concern me, because I am always up for a little airport sightseeing, but my fellow passengers rarely share my optimism.  Wink

D-ABIP in the gloomy Frankfurt weather.

The interior of the bus taking the passengers to the arrivals hall.

D-ABVW taxiing to the terminal building as our bus started its journey.

Thankfully, the bus to the terminal was very warm, because the temperature outside was barely above freezing. Frankfurt Airport is a great place to drive around by bus; there are so many things going on and there is always so much to see. Today was no different and the variety of aircraft dotted around the airport was impressive.

Up close and personal with a LH 747-400.

A Lufthansa A330-300 waiting for clearance to continue taxiing.

A Delta Airlines 767-400ER taxiing in the distance.

The bus ride did not last very long and by 9:50am, we had arrived at the terminal building. The entire bussing operation was incredibly well organized, from the bus waiting for the aircraft at the remote stand to the plentiful arrival bays at the terminal building. This was German efficiency at its best.  Smile The immigration check in Terminal 1 was also a breeze as usual and I was landside in less than five minutes.

The bus arrivals hall on the ground floor of Terminal 1.

What would FRA be without the obligatory construction works?

The short and fast moving queues at the immigration checkpoint.

I now headed downstairs into the massive baggage claim hall. The belt for LH4907 was number 11 today, which was located at the very end of the building. To my surprise, all bags had already been delivered by the time I arrived to collect my luggage. For an airport the size of Frankfurt, this was an impressive feat. At 10:00am, I was already leaving the airport and my short flight to Frankfurt had come to an end.

The departures hall at FRA as I headed towards the baggage claim.

The baggage claim information screens at the entrance of the arrivals hall.

The belt for LH4907 today: Belt 11.

Overall Impression

I must say, I was very impressed by Lufthansa on this short-haul flight. In the past, I have had old, tired and frustrated LH crews, but the flight attendants on LH4907 were none of these things. Instead, they were cheerful, welcoming and very friendly. They may not have been as perfect as your average Singapore Airlines crew, but they were much more forthcoming and casual. In addition, I was also surprised by the double beverage run and the very comfortable seats. Obviously, the usual Lufthansa strengths such as reliability and punctuality were also present on this short hop. My only complaints are Lufthansa’s poor online reservation system, which does not allow one to reserve one’s seat, and the lack of any sort of entertainment on the flight. I am not asking for PTVs, but the least LH could do is give inflight magazine a serious overhaul. Overall, Lufthansa gets two thumbs up and I would unconditionally recommend flying with them between Birmingham and Frankfurt.

(2.0) Booking & Reservation: 6.0
(1.0) Check-in: 9.0
(1.0) Airline Airport Facilities: N/A
(0.5) Boarding: 9.0
(2.0) Seat: 9.5
(1.0) Entertainment System: 2.0
(2.0) Crew: 9.5
(2.0) Food and Beverages: 8.0
(0.5) Amenity kits and other freebies: N/A
(0.5) Arrival: 8.5
(1.0) On-time performance: 10.0

Overall weighted score: 7.98

Thank you for taking the time to read the first part of this series of trip reports. As always, any comments and opinions are welcome and much appreciated.

Upcoming trip reports will feature a flight with BMI from EDI to MAN as well as flights with SQ in Business Class between MAN and SIN. Then, in Easter, I will attempt one of the craziest trips yet to be featured on Airliners.net: Four long haul and ultra long haul flights, including some on the A380, one after the other. Total distance? 36388 miles. Ever wondered how to add a little adventure to the hop across the Atlantic? Find out in March!

If you liked this report, you may also be interested in my six part trip report from Penang to Muscat.

PEN to MCT via KUL and DXB with EK and MH:
1. Penang - Kuala Lumpur, 2. Kuala Lumpur - Dubai, 3. Dubai - Muscat.
MCT to PEN via DXB, SIN and KUL with EK and MH:
1. Muscat - Dubai, 2. Dubai - Singapore - Kuala Lumpur, 3. Kuala Lumpur - Penang

Additionally, you may also enjoy reading about my journey from Penang to Frankfurt with Singapore Airlines.

PEN to FRA via SIN with SQ:
1. Penang - Singapore, 2. Singapore - Frankfurt.
FRA to PEN via SIN with SQ:
1. Frankfurt - Singapore, 2. Singapore - Penang.

Finally, there is also my trip report with Qatar Airways from Kuala Lumpur to Frankfurt via Doha.

KUL to FRA via DOH with QR:
1. Kuala Lumpur - Doha, 2. Doha - Frankfurt.

As always, safe flying.

Globetraveller

widget1580

RE: The Short-Haul Intra-EU Faceoff: Lufthansa

Fri Feb 13, 2009 4:38 am

I love Lufthansa, great report Globetraveller! Those sandwiches look interesting.

akhmad

Fri Feb 13, 2009 8:01 am

Hi Globetraveller,

Quoting Globetraveller (Thread starter):
I managed to find some reasonable deals on three different airlines.

Good job on that. The photo is amazing.

Birmingham International Airport is well laid out, it is not overcrowded and it is not run by the BAA. The overall airport experience was very relaxing and surprisingly comfortable.

The designers of LHR could learn a thing or two from this airport.

The airport looks indeed very airy.

Sadly, when I reached my seat in row 5, I noticed that this was a windowless row.

You should send this experience to www.seatguru.com

Could I please have an apple juice with sparkling mineral water?"

Your favorite cocktail.  Wink

Great TR! I can not wait for your following TR's.

Regards

Suryo

stevAAN

Fri Feb 13, 2009 8:02 am

Great report. Loved the 'research' style writing. Waiting eagerly for your next reports  Smile

nicholaschee

Fri Feb 13, 2009 8:35 am

Great TR and pictures!

Just for comparison, an SQ ticket from SIN-FRA is about 30 Euro cents per mile!

SQ €0.3 p/m? That's a tad high. Was it a one-way or J fare? Using the most recent Y fare it works out to €0.09 p/m and J works out to be €0.37 p/m.

Sadly, at the security check, the man operating the x-ray machine decided I was carrying a few too many electronics. Initially, I thought it was just a matter of showing him that they all worked %u2013 which they obviously did, but he decided this was not enough. All of my devises were then wiped down with a cloth and analyzed for traces of explosives! The whole experience was rather embarrassing and totally unnecessary in my opinion.

I agree it's pretty overzealous and purely unnecessary. It sounds worst than the dreaded SSSS by TSA. At least they didn't take you to a room and take out the rubber sterile gloves Big grin

I must say, I was very impressed by Lufthansa on this short-haul flight. In the past, I have had old, tired and frustrated LH crews, but the flight attendants on LH4907 were none of these things. Instead, they were cheerful, welcoming and very friendly. They may not have been as perfect as your average Singapore Airlines crew, but they were much more forthcoming and casual. In addition, I was also surprised by the double beverage run and the very comfortable seats. Obviously, the usual Lufthansa strengths such as reliability and punctuality were also present on this short hop. My only complaints are Lufthansa%u2019s poor online reservation system, which does not allow one to reserve one%u2019s seat, and the lack of any sort of entertainment on the flight. I am not asking for PTVs, but the least LH could do is give inflight magazine a serious overhaul. Overall, Lufthansa gets two thumbs up and I would unconditionally recommend flying with them between Birmingham and Frankfurt.

Glad you enjoyed your flight. SQ does have bad eggs as well but they are culled pretty fast too.

Upcoming trip reports will feature a flight with BMI from EDI to MAN as well as flights with SQ in Business Class between MAN and SIN. Then, in Easter, I will attempt one of the craziest trips yet to be featured on Airliners.net: Four long haul and ultra long haul flights, including some on the A380, one after the other. Total distance? 36388 miles. Ever wondered how to add a little adventure to the hop across the Atlantic? Find out in March!

Is it a mileage run for *A Gold? Or a PPSV run?

Globetraveller
Topic Author

Fri Feb 13, 2009 9:13 am

Quoting Widget1580 (Reply 1):
great report Globetraveller!

Thank you Widget1580. I'm glad you liked it.

Quoting Widget1580 (Reply 1):
Those sandwiches look interesting.

Hehehe... They were very average. Not the best sandwiches I have ever had though.

Quoting Akhmad (Reply 2):
Good job on that. The photo is amazing.

Hi there Akhmad. The wonders of Photoshop.  Smile

Great TR! I can not wait for your following TR's.

Thank you very much and thanks for reading the TR.

The airport looks indeed very airy.

BHX is not a bad airport, especially Terminal 1. The only problem is that the runway is too short to accomodate long haul flights, which limits the airlines that can fly to Birmingham.

Quoting StevAAn (Reply 3):
Great report. Loved the 'research' style writing. Waiting eagerly for your next reports

Hi there StevAAn. I'm glad you liked the writing style. The next reports will be up very soon.

Quoting Nicholaschee (Reply 4):
Was it a one-way or J fare? Using the most recent Y fare it works out to €0.09 p/m and J works out to be €0.37 p/m.

This was the return J Fare from my last SIN-FRA-SIN trip report. Sorry that I forgot to mention that it was a Business Class fare.

At least they didn't take you to a room and take out the rubber sterile gloves

Hehehehe... You can say that again! The entire experience was so cumbersome and unnecessary.

Is it a mileage run for *A Gold? Or a PPSV run?

Sadly, I am no longer loyal to any Alliance or Frequent Flyer program thesedays. So this trip is not really a mileage run in that sense, but it will bring me to the Gold status of the airline I will be flying. However, the main reason for this trip is to find one of the most complicated way to cross the Atlantic from the UK to the US.  Smile

Globetraveller

nicholaschee

Fri Feb 13, 2009 9:48 am

Quoting Globetraveller (Reply 5):

This was the return J Fare from my last SIN-FRA-SIN trip report. Sorry that I forgot to mention that it was a Business Class fare.

Ah I see. It's more expensive now, almost 33% p/m. I noted on your ticket it states SQP. What does it mean? Haven't been on LH before.

DALCE

Fri Feb 13, 2009 10:18 am

Hi Globetraveller!

What a nice report of this short flight to FRA.
I always get a warm feeling when reading about LH. You are absolutely right about the maintenance they perform to keep those oldies look new. I have had 2 flights on D-ABXL acutally the oldest aircraft in the LH fleet (delivered 1986) and she was immaculate also.
Credits to LH for this!
Also some really nice pictures included.
I'm eagerly looking forward to the next episode of your trip!
Cheers,
Joost (D-ALCE)

Globetraveller
Topic Author

Fri Feb 13, 2009 9:08 pm

Quoting Nicholaschee (Reply 6):
I noted on your ticket it states SQP. What does it mean? Haven't been on LH before.

I think this is for my Singapore Airlines KrisFlyer account. Maybe it means 'SQ priority' or something along those lines.

Quoting DALCE (Reply 7):
What a nice report of this short flight to FRA.

Thank you Joost. I am glad you enjoyed the trip report.

Quoting DALCE (Reply 7):
You are absolutely right about the maintenance they perform to keep those oldies look new. I have had 2 flights on D-ABXL acutally the oldest aircraft in the LH fleet (delivered 1986) and she was immaculate also.

I think LH aircraft are some of the most well maintained aircraft in the world. I have never seen a worn and scruffy looking Lufthansa plane in my years of flying.

Quoting DALCE (Reply 7):
I'm eagerly looking forward to the next episode of your trip!

The next part of the series should be up early next week!

Globetraveller

FLIEGER67

Fri Feb 13, 2009 9:13 pm

Hi, GT,

great and informative stuff.
Good to read and surrounded by nice pix.
Both BHX and FRA are well known from personal experiences.
So, looking for the next and hopefully, many more parts of your travels.

Greetings,
Markus (FLIEGER67)

NZ107

Fri Feb 13, 2009 9:59 pm

Hi Globetraveller,

Very interesting flight! It'll be good to compare this with the other 2 aircraft. I'm still waiting for an empty flight like the one above.. I'd love it! Does that curtain between J and Y get in the way at all?

The service looks great. I guess having 15 passengers on board allows for much more time but it's wonderful how they did come around again. Only if every flight was like that..

Love the pics. Keep them coming!

Regards,
Nicholas

davehammer

Fri Feb 13, 2009 10:36 pm

Nice report! Glad you enjoyed your trip with LH.

Quoting Globetraveller (Reply 5):
The only problem is that the runway is too short to accomodate long haul flights, which limits the airlines that can fly to Birmingham.

It does still manage PIA flights to ISB and EK to DXB though not exactly long-long haul. There are plans afoot to extend the runway to 3000m in the near future though which is good news for the 2nd city!

ba319-131

Sun Feb 15, 2009 5:13 pm

GT,

Another great story with excellent pictures, really enjoyed, thanks for sharing.

I find that the difference in fares to full service carriers, with all things such as baggage charges considered, is often not as much as one would imagine

- So very true!

A glimpse of the snow covered United Kingdom through the clouds

- Great picture!

Looking forward to the next report.

Regards

Mark

airbuseric

Mon Feb 16, 2009 10:14 am

Hi,
thanks for this good read. LH is in my opinion, one of the best carriers to travel Y class in Europe nowadays. And if you book timely, they usually still offer good fares too!
The load on your flight was indeed not really moneymaking  Silly Good for you though, this made your flight more personal and that's most probably why they offered you a second drink service. I never received that on LH so far, but when you ask for a refill, they always do so.

btw, I'm really looking forward to your Globespan experience. Somehow this airline always got my interest, but I think I never saw a good report on them.

Bye,
Eric

LH4116

Mon Feb 16, 2009 11:55 am

Great report Globetraveller

The pics, were great! It looks like you have got a better camera, and by judging the quality and wideangle, I'm guessting it's a DLSR of some sort.

The in-flight service on LH seemed nice as usual, though their sandwiches look very booring, i really think they should offer some more interesting konds of sandwiches, along with a small candy bar or something on EU legs. Or why not do like AF, offer a more proper breakfast, in a small box.

Did they have two choices? And did they offer you seconds?

The interiors looked superb, as usual on LH. Their Recaro seats are far more superior than the other EU majors.

Globetraveller
Topic Author

Tue Feb 17, 2009 1:59 pm

Quoting FLIEGER67 (Reply 9):
great and informative stuff.
Good to read and surrounded by nice pix.

Thank you FLIEGER67. I'm glad you enjoyed the trip report.

Quoting FLIEGER67 (Reply 9):
So, looking for the next and hopefully, many more parts of your travels.

I can guarantee that there are many more trip reports on the way.  Smile

Quoting NZ107 (Reply 10):
still waiting for an empty flight like the one above.. I'd love it!

Hi there Nicholas. I rarely get empty flights like this, so I was savouring it as much as I could. Too bad it was such a short flight!

Does that curtain between J and Y get in the way at all?

The curtain does not get in the way at all. I guess if the seat pitch was less then it would be an issue, but with a 32 inch seat pitch, it was not a problem at all.

Love the pics. Keep them coming!

Thank you NZ107. They sure will keep coming...  Smile

Quoting Davehammer (Reply 11):
Nice report! Glad you enjoyed your trip with LH.

Thank you Davehammer, and thanks for reading and commenting.

Quoting Davehammer (Reply 11):
It does still manage PIA flights to ISB and EK to DXB though not exactly long-long haul. There are plans afoot to extend the runway to 3000m in the near future though which is good news for the 2nd city!

I think the EK flight is the longest scheduled service out of BHX. The problem with the 3000m runway extension is that the A45 must be put underground first, so it could still take a while.

Quoting BA319-131 (Reply 12):
Another great story with excellent pictures, really enjoyed, thanks for sharing.

Thank you Mark. I'm glad you enjoyed the trip report.

Quoting BA319-131 (Reply 12):
Looking forward to the next report.

The next part is already up. It can be found here.

Quoting Airbuseric (Reply 13):
thanks for this good read.

Thank you Airbuseric. I'm glad you liked it.

LH is in my opinion, one of the best carriers to travel Y class in Europe nowadays. And if you book timely, they usually still offer good fares too!

I agree. The service I received was impressive and the fare was very reasonable as well. I would not hesitate to fly with them again.

btw, I'm really looking forward to your Globespan experience. Somehow this airline always got my interest, but I think I never saw a good report on them.

My Flyglobespan experience will be the last part of this trip report series; it should be up sometime soon. I am not sure I will be able to write a 'good' report on them in terms of the service they provided, but if you meant a 'good trip report', I will do the best I can.  Smile

Quoting LH4116 (Reply 14):
Great report Globetraveller

Thank you LH4116 and thanks for reading the trip report.

The pics, were great! It looks like you have got a better camera, and by judging the quality and wideangle, I'm guessting it's a DLSR of some sort.

You are correct. This was the first trip report where my Nikon D300 came along for the entire ride. However, there will be one or two upcoming reports where this camera was not present yet. Nevertheless, soon all TRs will hopefully feature the improved camera. You were also correct about the wideangle lens. It is a Tokina 11-16mm.

though their sandwiches look very booring, i really think they should offer some more interesting konds of sandwiches, along with a small candy bar or something on EU legs.

I agree, the sandwiches were a little boring. However, the food LH serves depends on the length of the flight and the destination. On slightly longer intra-EU flights, there are fruits and candy bars as well.

Did they have two choices? And did they offer you seconds?

Seconds were offered, but there was only one choice of sandwiches. As they did not taste amazing, I did not take seconds.

The interiors looked superb, as usual on LH. Their Recaro seats are far more superior than the other EU majors.

This is very true. The seats were very comfortable and they are some of the best on offer in the EU for Economy Class.

As I have said above, the second part of the trip report series can now be found here.

Globetraveller

DanTaylor2006

Tue Feb 17, 2009 5:14 pm

Excellent report, Globetraveller. Thanks for posting!

I'm very interested in this report, and glad I found it, as I will be flying on the LH4907 between BHX and FRA on 10th July this year! So now I'm looking forward to my flights even more  Smile

Your photos of Birmingham Airport are fantastic, and I'm in agreement that Birmingham is such a hassle free airport to depart from (not that I'm biased or anything, with it being my home airport  Wink ) - especially at that time of the morning. The airside departures waiting area is definitely a nice place to be since it was rennovated a few years ago, and it makes it a much better experience... I'm looking forward to the new International Pier in the coming years, as the current one leaves a bit to be desired.

I'm quite surprised at the interiors of the 735's as well, they look in very good shape for their age! As a brief comparison, I flew G-THOI (TOM 733) in 2007, when it was only 9 years old, and that was looking fairly worn!

The service onboard looked equally good! 2 beverage runs and a food service on a 1 hour flight is very decent by todays standards, I think I'll be enjoying my flights... and if this report is anything to go by I'll be able to justify the extra £23 I paid for a flight with LH over BE.

Once again, excellent report, complemented by excellent photos! A very enjoyable read.

PlaneHunter

Sat Feb 21, 2009 11:56 am

Hi Globetraveller,

I'm back from my latest "mission" and finally found the time to have a look at your new report. As usual, it was a pleasure to read - well-written and accompanied by countless high-quality pictures.

I mean, who needs to fly to Paris for dinner?

Is it so much worse than e.g. flying just for trying different airlines?  Wink

In fact, at a ripe age of 17, this aircraft was one of the older 737-500 in Lufthansa’s massive fleet.

Hmm, ripe age? I'm not sure how I should call the DC-9 manufactured in 02/1968 which I just got some days ago...  Wink

Wow… what happened to the grumpy Lufthansa flight attendants of the past?!

Very good question. I have wondered about that several times, too.

The two sandwiches tasted average and they were nothing special; the one with cheese as quite dry and tasteless, but the egg and onion piece was not too bad.

On my last LH flight between LHR and MUC I got an extremely dry cheese sandwich - I really had to laugh about the "Discover Flavour" logo.

What would FRA be without the obligatory construction works?

Not Frankfurt?  Wink

Alright, now I will read your Air Berlin report!

PH

JFKMan

Sat Feb 21, 2009 9:10 pm

A really fun TR to read! Well done! I will be reading the other 2 soon!  Smile

iainbhx

Sun Feb 22, 2009 1:42 am

Nice to see one of my more regular trips get featured (the other one being the DUS). It isn't usually that empty, Monday flights in particular, can be quite packed. Sadly, as a non-Schengen flight, we always get a remote stand at FRA, I can't remember the last time I used a jetbridge at FRA for a BHX arrival or depature (maybe 2003).

If it isn't packed, you quite often get a second drink service on this route, but I do wish they would change the disgusting sandwiches on the breakfast flight, they are one of the reasons why I've started doing a few trips via ZRH (that and the Business Saver fares, which often come out within pocket dipping range of the LH fare).

Globetraveller
Topic Author

Mon Feb 23, 2009 5:55 pm

Quoting DanTaylor2006 (Reply 16):
Excellent report, Globetraveller. Thanks for posting!

Thank you Daniel. I'm glad you enjoyed the trip report.

I'm very interested in this report, and glad I found it, as I will be flying on the LH4907 between BHX and FRA on 10th July this year! So now I'm looking forward to my flights even more

Hehehe... What a coincidence! I hope you have a safe flight!

I'm in agreement that Birmingham is such a hassle free airport to depart from (not that I'm biased or anything, with it being my home airport

Even though BHX is not my home airport - I do not think I have a home airport to be honest - I still think that it is one of the nicest airports to travel through in the UK.

I'm quite surprised at the interiors of the 735's as well, they look in very good shape for their age! As a brief comparison, I flew G-THOI (TOM 733) in 2007, when it was only 9 years old, and that was looking fairly worn!

Lufthansa is renowned for the maintenance of their fleet and this 737-500 was a perfect example of this. I agree: I have seen three year old aircraft in worse shape than D-ABIP.

and if this report is anything to go by I'll be able to justify the extra £23 I paid for a flight with LH over BE.

A very good choice indeed. I paid a little extra for LH as well, but it was definitely worth it!

Quoting PlaneHunter (Reply 17):
I'm back from my latest "mission" and finally found the time to have a look at your new report.

Hi there PlaneHunter! Where was your "mission" to my friend?  Smile

As usual, it was a pleasure to read - well-written and accompanied by countless high-quality pictures.

Thank you very much and thanks for reading the trip report.

Is it so much worse than e.g. flying just for trying different airlines?

Hehehe... Well, I think more people fly to Paris for dinner than the number of aircraft addicts like us who fly to try different planes and airlines.  Smile

Quoting JFKMan (Reply 18):
A really fun TR to read! Well done!

Thank you JFKMan and thanks for reading and commenting on the trip report.

Quoting Iainbhx (Reply 19):
It isn't usually that empty, Monday flights in particular, can be quite packed.

Hi there Iainbhx. I agree with you: I have been on this flight a few times now, and it is rarely this empty. I guess I just got lucky.  Smile

The final part of this trip report series can now be found here.

Globetraveller