airbuseric
Topic Author

Crossing The Atlantic On BA (Y): AMS-LGW-JFK

Sun May 03, 2009 9:20 am

Hi, dear readers,

Let's go to the USA this time! – Crossing the Atlantic on BA: AMS-LGW-JFK

A few months before, me and my partner decided for a short holiday in New York. It would be a successful trip, with loads of sightseeing, full shopping bags, many positive impressions and some interesting flights again.

Checking the fares and travel options for us, it came out that a combination of BA and AA would offer us a great fare and best use of our time in the USA. An early afternoon arrival, with the last possible return to Europe on the way back. This suits us best, and we could even spend the last full day in the city. We also decided to use JFK over EWR, since there are enough convenient travel options to downtown Manhattan, where our magnificent 4 star hotel was located, very near to Grand Central Station and the Chrysler Building.

BA offers Y class passengers to check in from 24 hours in advance, using the website. Some searching around the web and forums learned me that the flight to JFK would be on a 4 class B772, and therefore I really checked in early to make sure that my seat choice was available. It all worked out well. I stored our PDF format boarding passes on my PDA phone.

On the day of travel, we dropped the bags around 90 minutes before our departure. Dedicated BA groundstaff was kind and helpful, they checked our Esta informations carefully for US immigration use, and checked the baggage through to JFK, including a short connection tag attached for LGW rampworkers. The lady additionally handed us a leaflet with the transfer information and procedures for LGW. A nice touch, I have to say!

Boarding was from gate D14. Security for this non-Schengen flight is done at the gate, but went easily. Not too much passengers on this flight. Sorry to have again a security staff at AMS who didn’t trust my Canon camera’s and lenses… I had to take all of it out of my bag. It seems that until now, this only happens to me at my home airport, every time again! One of the reasons that I dislike AMS security staff.

G-DOCX at the gate at AMS

Anyway, preboarding was already performed, and not soon after, also the actual boarding commenced.

AMS-LGW
Flight No.: BA8112 Date: 16APR09
STD: 1005 ATD: 1003
STA: 1015 ATA: 0947
A/C: Boeing 737-400 Reg No.: G-DOCX
Seat: 24F – Economy Class

My 98th ride on a Boeing 737, and the first time on this same machine. Good to score a new entry to the logbook again. G-DOCX is a 1993 build type –400

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Kim Philipp Piskol

Groundstaff friendly again, as well a the senior purser, greeting at the cabin entrance. She was assisted by a very nice team of younger cabin crew, and the complete team performed well during the whole flight.
Doors were closed already at 09:51am and we departed early. Also a short taxiing today, runway 24 was the active one for departure. Load on the flight maybe around 40%.

Cabin on the BA B737-400

Side panels in bad condition on G-DOCX

Chewing gum, not only on Ryanair, now also on BA

Contents of the seatpocket

Taxiing at AMS (or LHR?). BA is all around here!

After takeoff, good views on the cities Hoofddorp (my former place for living) and Nieuw-Vennep (where I live nowadays). Now you can imaging the views I have when I sit in my livingroom and look outside.

Airborne runway 24

The city of Hoofddorp

My house in in this picture

When we approached the coastline to cross the Northsea, cabin crew started service. Two were assigned for Business class, the other two for Economy section. They started from the front, so we were almost served last, meanwhile we approached the British island.
There was only a choise of pretzels or a Fruesli bar, plus a drink. My coke came in the tiny can variant.

Service on BA8112

During final approach for LGW, the airport was visible on our right, under the scattered clouds.

Gatwick Airport is visible already

Short finals runway 08R at LGW

Landing was performed way ahead of the schedule, runway 08R. Parking on the remote section of the terminal, gate 104. After deplaning, we had to cross the bridge. We had some time to spend, so good opportunity to take some pics. It was the first time for me using this crossover, even with so many LGW visits done before!

Parking at the gate

Good views from the bridge, Thomsonfly B757-200

Crossing the bridge at LGW

A BA B737-500 starting up below us

After the easy transfer at LGW, back into the terminal. During the transfer, we had once more security, including shoes off (not common on mainland Europe). Staff was very friendly, no stress, and sometimes even joking. That makes passing such security checkpoints more bearable for sure!

Some remaining times to stroll around the large amount of shops in the terminal at LGW. Coffee at Costa, good place to spend my last remaining Pound Sterling, which were still in the wallet from previous visits… A perfect place for us at the window, overlooking the BA longhaul departures.
Our aircraft was visible also, so I was able to obtain the registration already. It was as planned a B772, and being served by Alpha Catering services. Another B772 was getting ready for departure to Orlando.

Since our departure time came closer, we walked down towards the gate. Gate 62 was ours. Since our boarding pass was issued already at home, and reissued to a real one at AMS, we went straigtly to the security officers, checking the passport, asking how many days we would stay in the US and wished us a good trip. Nice that this guy wished me a goodday in Dutch language.

The mightly B777-200ER, ready for the USA

Four friendly BA groundstaff doing preboarding. And checking the Esta data again if everything is matching. A lot of passengers in the waiting area, guess it would be a good load to JFK.
Boarding started at 11:15hrs UK time, First and Business, together with the last rows of Economy class first. So, we got on the bird quite early.

LGW-JFK
Flight No.: BA2173 Date: 16APR09
STD: 1200 ATD: 1159
STA: 1420 ATA: 1358
A/C: Boeing 777-200ER Reg No.: G-VIIC
Seat: 39B – Economy Class

For me the 12th time to fly on a Boeing 777 aircraft. First time on this BA example.

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Jenny Coffey

Onboard greeted by a friendly male cabin attendant. Last row of seats for us, on purpose. These are the only partner seats in Economy class on BA’s 4 class configured Boeing 777s. Good choice, since the cabin was full house on this flight. Not a single seat was unused, expect row 40 in the middle. These 3 seats are used for crewrest and blocked off by a curtain.

With early closure of the doors, an ontime departure was performed. Taxiing towards the active, runway 08R. Followed by a not too long takeoff roll to get airborne.
The climb out took us further with a left turn, offering another good view on LGW from the air. No good photo opportunities this time, since the sun was facing us already. Departure area was also slightly unstable with bumps and shakers regularly. The flightcrew informed us about it and that they will take us to a smoother altitude soon.

Taxiing to the runway at LGW

Airborne from runway 08R

Gatwick below, interesting traffic, including Mexicana B767-200

Climbing further away into the skies …

About 30 minutes inflight, crew distributed first drinkservice, accompanied by a small bag of pretzels.
And of course the US immigration cards and Visa Waivers were handed out, good to spend some time by filling out these forms. Meanwhile a smell of food came from the pantry behind us. Mealservice was next on the program.

A snack bite first

My meal was AVML (Asian Vegetarian), and tasted very good! Good salad also!

Normal meal was fish or sausage. Here the sausage, with mashed potatoes. My partner said it was ok, but preferred something else …

After the meal was cleaned up, time to relax. I didn’t like the old IFE system and small screen in front of me, but the map is always nice to look at. For the rest some gigabytes of music on my HTC device, which helped me over the Atlantic. Good views on cold Canada.

Our position on the map. Personal IFE system screen.

Cabin view with full house on G-VIIC, while over the Atlantic

Amazing views again.

An Air Berlin A330 was heading close towards us, probably on the same route. It got behind us, at least just out of views. When we started descend to lower flightlevels, it flew over us heading South, so I guess it was heading for an airport in Florida. I was not able to get a good picture though… Also the pre arrival snack was served. A box with fruit, pair of sandwiches and some nuts/raisins.

Pre Arrival sandwich pack. Asian Vegetarian style as well (I ordered it specially)

Approach took us over Long Island, interesting views and a smooth ride. Some sharp turns before establishment on the ILS for runway 04R. On short finals some a first glimpse of the skyscrapers in downtown Manhattan. We touched gently on the ground at 13.49 Local New York time. Taxiing to terminal 7, gate 3, took 9 minutes only. Parking was in between a BA 744 from LHR and a OpenSkies B757 from ORY? At least, I was sure that it was not the AMS flight, since that would have been G-BPEK, and the one at JFK was ‘EJ’.

Approaching for JFK

A little airport below us

First sights of Manhattan at the horizon

After landing 04R, taxiing to the gate at terminal 7

Parking next to a big brother, originating from LHR

After deplaning and a friendly goodbye it took about 30 minutes to clear immigration. We were the only flight at that moment. Groundstaff in BA uniform was taking care for everybody, checking if the documents were all filled out correctly and also the immigration officer was a nice guy. Not much words, but friendly and kind, so a positive welcome to the USA. Our suitcases were already on the belt waiting for us, and clearing customs was without problems as well.

We arrived in our hotel around 16.30 local time, Millennium Plaza hotel. This hotel offered us a fantastic room on the 35th floor, overlooking Manhattan, almost touching the Chrysler building and with clear views on the Empire State Building. Since the room was on a corner, the other 2 windows offered views on the Eastriver and Queensboro Bridge, at the far horizon also La Guardia airport was visible. I can only recommend this hotel, it is definitely worth the money and conveniently located near Grand Central Station but also in a more quiet area of Manhattan.

About the flights. I was happy with the BA service provided to us. Really everywhere friendly groundstaff and really helpful too. On board good service, also meals were good. A bit poor on the AMS-LGW sector though. A sandwich or wrap should be possible BA! Drinks on the JFK bound flight were not offered too often, but available anytime in the galley. I think juices came around 2 times only.
IFE on G-VIIC is old style, but I read that it will be updated this year.
Seatpitch is ok for this duration of flight, especially this nice partnerseat on row 39, which offers normal recline as well. Amenities offered were socks, a headphones, eyeshade and a toothbrush/paste.
For sure nothing to complain with BA, and I will be loyal enough to give them another try next time, again via LGW!

Thanks for reading. Your comments are really appreciated!

Regards,

Eric

[Edited 2009-05-03 02:33:26]
"The whole world steps aside for the man who knows where he is going"

lukasVIE

RE: Crossing The Atlantic On BA (Y): AMS-LGW-JFK

Sun May 03, 2009 10:25 am

Great TR! I enjoyed reading it.

Well, BA seems to cut costs in regards of cleaning the aircraft (this chewing gum looks disgusting) and the granola bar is not much for such an flight

Your flight with the triple seven looked much better and it is very smart to order a special meal (looks better than the standard one)

I hope your partner and you enjoyed your stay in NYC!

Best,

Lukas

AUSisAWESOME

Sun May 03, 2009 10:57 am

Nice TR! The OpenSkies flight that you saw at JFK may have came from LHR but not sure, I read on their website that Open Skies will use the old L Avion aircraft in the OpenSkies livery but with a french registration for the JFK-ORY flight.
Upcoming flights: XNA-ATL-ZRH/DL ZRH-LHR LGW-DBV/BA DBV-ZRH/OU XNA-DFW-YYZ/AA TUL-HOU-BZE/WN

HowSwedeitis

Sun May 03, 2009 11:07 am

Great Trip Report! I very much enjoyed reading it. Keep up the great work!

-HSII
Heja Sverige!!

CrimsonNL

Sun May 03, 2009 11:56 am

Hi Eric, great report! Interesting option to take BA across the pond, I should keep that in mind for future trips. Looks like you had good weather in New York? Glad you liked it!

Martijn
Always comparing your flown types list with mine

JFKMan

Sun May 03, 2009 3:05 pm

Quoting Airbuseric (Thread starter):

The city of Hoofddorp

I stayed in Hoofddorp during my stay in the Netherlands.  Smile

First sights of Manhattan at the horizon

The penninsula in this picture is my neighborhood. My house is in the lower left-hand corner. Very near the beach.

Great TR! I had a great time reading it, and it was a fantastic surprise to see my house.
NYC

airbuseric
Topic Author

Sun May 03, 2009 3:15 pm

Thanks for the first replies so far! Appreciate it a lot  Smile

@ Lukas;

Quoting LukasVIE (Reply 1):
BA seems to cut costs in regards of cleaning the aircraft (this chewing gum looks disgusting) and the granola bar is not much for such an flight

So, I wanted to make the statement that it's not only FR who has dirty aircraft. But I can't understand the people who just leave their chewing gum on seats or walls. Just unbelievable and below all standards of behaviour.

Quoting LukasVIE (Reply 1):
I hope your partner and you enjoyed your stay in NYC!

We surely did, and we will return once more for sure!

Quoting AUSisAwesome (Reply 2):
I read on their website that Open Skies will use the old L Avion aircraft in the OpenSkies livery but with a french registration for the JFK-ORY flight.

Thanks. Forgot about their French part indeed. So this airline also operates ex LHR. Interesting, since it's competition for the regular BA services, maybe?!

@ Martijn;

Quoting CrimsonNL (Reply 4):
Looks like you had good weather in New York?

We had indeed. One day rain, so we had to spend that day in Macy's Big grin

@ JFKman;

Quoting JFKMan (Reply 5):
My house is in the lower left-hand corner. Very near the beach.

Wow, then you also live close to the approach path for JFK, and the beach. Almost like me in the Netherlands  Wink Looks like a great and convenient area!

Regards,
Eric

JFKMan

Sun May 03, 2009 3:20 pm

Quoting Airbuseric (Reply 6):
Just unbelievable and below all standards of behaviour.

It really is...I'm sure we all remember a time when we have touched a piece of dried gum (either under a table, etc)

Quoting Airbuseric (Reply 6):
Wow, then you also live close to the approach path for JFK, and the beach. Almost like me in the Netherlands Looks like a great and convenient area!

Spotting from that beach is fun.  Smile A good few places near me to go. (one being my front porch!  Smile )
NYC

CityofAthens

Sun May 03, 2009 3:27 pm

Great report, thanks for the words and pictures; it's a shame you didn't get a slightly newer 777 with AVOD and larger screens installed (G-VIIC is a relatively old 777 in BA's fleet) but at least the service you received was generally good! Your partner's meal doesn't look great to be honest ... perhaps it tasted better than it looked Big grin .

The state of the 737 is embarrassing for an airline like BA, there is a department within the company called "aircraft appearance" perhaps they haven't yet filled the vacancies ...

Still seems overall you had a good experience, that's the main thing. As for New York, great city but I can recommend so many other places in the US too! Glad you enjoyed the Big Apple.

LH4116

Sun May 03, 2009 4:04 pm

Nice report Eric!

Such a pity with the security staff at AMS, it's not the first time I have heard about security staff forcing pax to take out all their electronics, or camera gears in your case. I guess that they suspect that a rather large amount of explosives can be placed in the inside of a camera, or laptop.

The meal service on the first segment looked a bit less than usual, IIRC they serve a wrap on CDG-LHR, or have they gone over to only serving muesli bars, on all flights?

The food on the second segment looked nice. BA really seem to provide a good quantity of food for their Y pax, on longhaul. How comes that you ordered an asian veg-meal?

Thanks for posting

Regards
Jonas
SAS Plus is Business Class made faux!

airbuseric
Topic Author

Sun May 03, 2009 4:21 pm

Hi again, thanks for the comments,

Quoting CityofAthens (Reply 8):
it's a shame you didn't get a slightly newer 777 with AVOD and larger screens installed (G-VIIC is a relatively old 777 in BA's fleet) but at least the service you received was generally good!

I think the newer ones do not operate out of LGW, but for the duration of this flight, this aircraft wasn't a problem for me. I had enough music on my phone, and my newspaper. Times flies, they say  Wink

The state of the 737 is embarrassing for an airline like BA, there is a department within the company called "aircraft appearance" perhaps they haven't yet filled the vacancies ...

Where can I apply for the job?! Big grin

As for New York, great city but I can recommend so many other places in the US too! Glad you enjoyed the Big Apple.

We will return for sure. And also explore other parts of the US.

Quoting LH4116 (Reply 9):
Such a pity with the security staff at AMS

In fact AMS security staff is not nice at all (generally speaking). They come over unfriendly to me, thinking that they are 'everything' and do not care about passenger service.

The meal service on the first segment looked a bit less than usual, IIRC they serve a wrap on CDG-LHR, or have they gone over to only serving muesli bars, on all flights?

My returntrip will be posted later, but on my return to AMS I got a wrap indeed, which was better.

How comes that you ordered an asian veg-meal?

Since I do not eat pork or meat (only white meat e.g. chicken, and fish), I preferred to order AVML on this portion, just to be sure. It has nothing to do with religion or so, just personal preference.

Regards,
Eric

Sketty222

Sun May 03, 2009 4:26 pm

A great report with some great pictures. I particularly like the pic of the BA 737 from the bridge in LGW. It looks kind of toy-like

An Air Berlin A330 was heading close towards us, probably on the same route. It got behind us, at least just out of views.

Did you only realise it was behind you when it flew overhead or were you using some sort of scanner???

We arrived in our hotel around 16.30 local time, Millennium Plaza hotel

My parents in law are staying here in July. I'll pass on your recommendation
There's flying and then there's flying

FLIEGER67

Sun May 03, 2009 5:06 pm

Hi, Eric,

what a nice read.
You know, everyone heading to the States nowadays!.

Our position on the map. Personal IFE system screen.

How I miss that feature!.

My 98th ride on a Boeing 737, and the first time on this same machine. Good to score a new entry to the logbook again. G-DOCX is a 1993 build type –400

Congrats, not bad with all that Airbus machines around at BA.

Meal service looks better than on my latest US flights.

Regards,
Markus (FLIEGER67)
Tripreporter.net

ba319-131

Sun May 03, 2009 5:14 pm

Hi Eric,

Nice report & pix, thanks for posting.

Good to see the the LGW service seems to have good loads.

our magnificent 4 star hotel was located, very near to Grand Central Station and the Chrysler Building.

- Sounds ok, might have to have a look for my next stay.

My 98th ride on a Boeing 737

- Wow, not bad at all!

Shame DOCX was looking tatty, but I do tend to find the BA 737 fleet look a little 'tired', they do need a bit of TLC.

Look forward to the return.

Regards

Mark
111 732 733 734 735 736 73G 738 739,7M8 BBJ 741 742 743 744 752 753 762 763 764 772 77L 773 77W L15 D10 D30 D40 AB3 AB6 312 313 318 319 320 20N 321 21N 332 333 342 343 345 346 359 351 388 CS1 CS3 I86 154 SSJ CRJ CR7 CR9 CRK 145 170 175 220

B747forever

Sun May 03, 2009 5:15 pm

Great TR

The pics are really good!

Seems you had a enjoyable experience on BA. The state of the 734 seems way below BA's standards.

Pity that you didnt get the new AVOD that BA has. The new AVOD is great!

Seems that the LGW flight to JFK is doing good.

Thank you for sharing

B747forever
Work Hard, Fly Right

airbuseric
Topic Author

Sun May 03, 2009 5:27 pm

Hi guys, thanks again for posting,

Quoting Sketty222 (Reply 11):
I particularly like the pic of the BA 737 from the bridge in LGW. It looks kind of toy-like

It was a great walk through that bridge, much better then the undergroud connections we know from e.g. CDG T1 or GVA.

Did you only realise it was behind you when it flew overhead or were you using some sort of scanner???

It popped up into my eyesight at some moment, slightly left behind us. The angle was too bad to get a good picture of it, so only blurry results on the camera  Sad

My parents in law are staying here in July. I'll pass on your recommendation

Let them ask for a room facing the city. Then they will enjoy beautiful views. The rooms are great too! And staff is really friendly and helpful.

Quoting FLIEGER67 (Reply 12):
You know, everyone heading to the States nowadays!.

Hi Markus, it's coincidence, don't you think so?! Big grin

Quoting FLIEGER67 (Reply 12):
How I miss that feature!.

I know exactly what you mean now, after reading the US tripreport.

Quoting BA319-131 (Reply 13):
My 98th ride on a Boeing 737

- Wow, not bad at all!

No. 99 / 100 / 101 and 102 are booked already, so I will celebrate this year  Silly

Quoting B747forever (Reply 14):
Pity that you didnt get the new AVOD that BA has. The new AVOD is great!

For future travels, I consider BA as a good choice again, so maybe I'll get the new IFE next time.

Regards,
Eric

OA260

Sun May 03, 2009 5:42 pm

Hey Eric,
Really nice TR. You got an amazing photo at LGW from the bridge of the BA 737.
I love the presentation of the BA Y class meals to JFK.

Looking forward to the next one.

Philip

Contact Air

Sun May 03, 2009 7:39 pm

Hi Eric,

Great trip report and very nice pictures. All in all BA seemed to offer a good service once again. Interesting to read about the full flight between LGW and JFK. Amazing, with so many daily services between London and New York.

A BA B737-500 starting up below us

Great picture!

And of course the US immigration cards and Visa Waivers were handed out, good to spend some time by filling out these forms.

Good idea to hand out these forms at an early time. Most airlines distribute them only shortly before approach.

Regards
Christoph

airbuseric
Topic Author

Sun May 03, 2009 8:29 pm

Hi Christoph and Philip. Thanks for your reading and replies!

Quoting Oa260 (Reply 16):
I love the presentation of the BA Y class meals to JFK

Yes, not bad at all. I knew BA is among the better ones for Y class transatlantic flights, regarding the mealservice.

Quoting Contact Air (Reply 17):
Interesting to read about the full flight between LGW and JFK.

I was as well surprised by a little, but taking in mind that LGW itself does not offer too many flights to NYC. This airport is much, much more convenient than LHR, maybe that this is the reason that so many people choose this flight (which has one of the earlier arrival times in NYC as well).

Quoting Contact Air (Reply 17):
Good idea to hand out these forms at an early time. Most airlines distribute them only shortly before approach

Still, in our digital era, and filling out so much digitalized advance information prior to entry in the USA, I wonder the neccesarity of all these documents.

Regards,
Eric

CityofAthens

Sun May 03, 2009 8:49 pm

Quoting Airbuseric (Reply 18):
Still, in our digital era, and filling out so much digitalized advance information prior to entry in the USA, I wonder the neccesarity of all these documents.

I believe the ESTA programme is designed to eventually replace the green or white immigration forms that one has to complete prior to arrival; in any case the reason for handing them out early is because so many people make mistakes. The usual questions are "I made a mistake, I need another landing card" "which card do I need" and (on flights into the UK) "I'm American do I need that?" . Ah the joys of US flights 

[Edited 2009-05-03 13:50:24]

semsem

Sun May 03, 2009 8:56 pm

BA do give sandwiches on short European routes depending on the time of departure. Otherwise it is just what you got or a biscuit. On my last flight the biscuit was delicious.

ollieg84

Sun May 03, 2009 11:21 pm

Quoting AUSisAwesome (Reply 2):
The OpenSkies flight that you saw at JFK may have came from LHR but not sure, I read on their website that Open Skies will use the old L Avion aircraft in the OpenSkies livery but with a french registration for the JFK-ORY flight.

Just to clarify this - OpenSkies have now moved to a full French AOC and operate a fleet of 4 757-200 aircraft with blended winglets. 2 are ex L'Avion and 2 ex BA. The current schedule includes a single daily from AMS 6 days a week and anything up to 3 dailies out of ORY, opearting to both JFK and EWR. The airline however does not operate out of LHR, and is only ever seen when visiting maintenance.

Regards,

Ollie

infodesk

Mon May 04, 2009 7:26 am

A nice report and good to read about your positive experience with BA. I've heard so many comments from passengers recently "Never again BA" that I found it quite sad. Your meal looked pretty good too.

Hope you had a successful shopping trip, how can one refuse with so many good fares to the states at the moment?!

That bridge at LGW, does it connect the two terminals? It looks very impressive!

Happy flying
Infodesk
"Do nothing in haste, look well to each step and from the beginning think what may be the end" - Edward Whymper

airbuseric
Topic Author

Mon May 04, 2009 8:03 am

Hi, thanks again for your feedback and comments!

Quoting Semsem (Reply 20):
BA do give sandwiches on short European routes depending on the time of departure. Otherwise it is just what you got or a biscuit. On my last flight the biscuit was delicious.

So, I conclude that the service concept by BA offered for Y class is a bit confusing then.
Because my 10 am departure only gave this muesli bar or pretzels.
On the way back (I still have to write that report), I got a wrap. Departure time was around 2 pm.

Quoting Ollieg84 (Reply 21):
The current schedule includes a single daily from AMS 6 days a week and anything up to 3 dailies out of ORY,

Exactly what I've thought already. Thanks for the clarification!

Quoting Infodesk (Reply 22):
Hope you had a successful shopping trip,

LOL, yeah, very successful. Not to good for the bankaccount though  Silly

Quoting Infodesk (Reply 22):
That bridge at LGW, does it connect the two terminals? It looks very impressive!

I connects the South Terminal with pier 6 gates. Build in 2005, this bridge is the largest air passenger bridge in the world. Even a B744 can pass underneath!

Regards,
Eric

akhmad

Wed May 06, 2009 5:09 pm

Hi Eric,

Last morning I just arrived from LGW after a spring holiday in Cyprus. Your pics of LGW just bring me back the memories.

Sorry to have again a security staff at AMS who didn't trust my Canon camera's and lenses... I had to take all of it out of my bag. It seems that until now, this only happens to me at my home airport, every time again! One of the reasons that I dislike AMS security staff.

Could it be an idea to write a letter to the AMS security that your Canon is absolutely safe? Or have you done this before and it did not work out?

Parking on the remote section of the terminal, gate 104. After deplaning, we had to cross the bridge. We had some time to spend, so good opportunity to take some pics. It was the first time for me using this crossover, even with so many LGW visits done before!

Lucky you! I was hoping to get docked on the remote section. But nope!  Sad

I like BA as well. On the most of the flights we had a set of cheerful flight attendants who seem enjoying their job very much and it showed.

Thanks for the TR!  Smile

Cheers,
Suryo
There is no deity except You. Exalted are You. Indeed, I have been of the wrongdoers.

KLM685

Thu May 07, 2009 2:22 am

Hey Eric! As always a wonderful trip report! I'll post soon my trip report to NY!

since there are enough convenient travel options to downtown Manhattan, where our magnificent 4 star hotel was located, very near to Grand Central Station and the Chrysler Building.

It's a wonderful part of town to stay with. My hotel was in Lexington Av. very close to Grand Central and to the Chrysler as well. Enjoyed walking there alot!

Congratulations for the TR!

Cheers
KLM- The Best Airline in the World!

DL752

Thu May 07, 2009 2:46 am

AWESOME! This truly shows how great BA is!
DL752 Big grin

airbuseric
Topic Author

Fri May 08, 2009 6:22 am

Hi guys, thanks again for your reading!

Quoting Akhmad (Reply 24):
Last morning I just arrived from LGW after a spring holiday in Cyprus.

I will read your report today. Hope you had a good time at Cyprus!

Could it be an idea to write a letter to the AMS security that your Canon is absolutely safe?

That won't make sense, and it's impossible to get something like that arranged.

Lucky you! I was hoping to get docked on the remote section.

First time for me as well, and a bit surprised, but a nice extra at LGW for me.

Quoting KLM685 (Reply 25):
I'll post soon my trip report to NY!

Hope to see it soon online Alonso! Hope you're doing fine?

Quoting KLM685 (Reply 25):
My hotel was in Lexington Av. very close to Grand Central and to the Chrysler as well. Enjoyed walking there alot!

A very convenient place, quiet too, but close enough to the action. NY is such a great place and the people of NY are wonderful!

Quoting DL752 (Reply 26):
This truly shows how great BA is!

Thanks. BA is for sure not bad at all!

Regards,
Eric

PlaneHunter

Fri May 08, 2009 6:38 am

Hi Eric,

great report, enjoyed reading a lot. BA still seems to be a good long-haul option.

There was only a choise of pretzels or a Fruesli bar, plus a drink. My coke came in the tiny can variant.

Ah, I also got such a stale muesli bar on my recent MUC-LHR flight.

Onboard greeted by a friendly male cabin attendant. Last row of seats for us, on purpose. These are the only partner seats in Economy class on BA’s 4 class configured Boeing 777s.

Good choice!

My meal was AVML (Asian Vegetarian), and tasted very good! Good salad also!

Normal meal was fish or sausage. Here the sausage, with mashed potatoes. My partner said it was ok, but preferred something else …

Both meals look very good - well presented!

PH
Nothing's worse than flying the same reg twice!

airbuseric
Topic Author

Sat May 09, 2009 7:25 am

Hi PH, thanks for your reply!

Quoting PlaneHunter (Reply 28):
BA still seems to be a good long-haul option

I think they are indeed. Competitive prices and good, friendly service.

Quoting PlaneHunter (Reply 28):
I also got such a stale muesli bar on my recent MUC-LHR flight.

Some similarity here then. In that case, LH does better for Y class, since they give also a little sandwich with the same package  Wink

Regards,
Eric

abrelosojos

Thu May 14, 2009 4:43 pm

Eric,

Really enjoyed the report. Thanks so much for sharing the same!

Saludos,
A.
Live, and let live.

DALCE

Wed May 20, 2009 10:20 am

Hey Eric,

Sorry for my late comment! I just didn't have time to read it earlier on  Sad
BA is doing a good job I suppose, a packed flight out of LGW is good news I would say.
You are right about the service on the AMS-LGW stretch, it is like most other european legacies, poor!
It was a true nice read, and reminded me of my NYC trip back in 2003.
Looking forward for the return trip report!

Groetjes,
Joost (D-ALCE)
flown: F50,F70,CR1,CR2,CR9,CS3,E75,E90,143,AR8,AR1,733,735,736,73G,738,
753,763,744,77W,788,319,320,321,333,AB6.

airbuseric
Topic Author

Wed May 20, 2009 9:59 pm

Hi Abrelosojos & Joost. Thanks for your replies!

Quoting DALCE (Reply 31):
Sorry for my late comment! I just didn't have time to read it earlier on

I think I know exactly what you mean  Wink

Quoting DALCE (Reply 31):
You are right about the service on the AMS-LGW stretch, it is like most other european legacies, poor!

The short flight back to AMS was slightly better though. It's online now too.

Regards,
Eric

StefanPAD

Fri May 22, 2009 2:40 pm

Hi Eric,

thanx for the great TR. Interesting to know how BA works on the route to JFK. I'll fly to JFK again next month, but for the first time on BA via LHR. Well, let's see, how it works out.

I'll remember your hotel recommendation for the future. Grand Central and Park Ave South are my frequently visited places when I travel to Manhattan.

Now going on to part 2.

Cheers,
Stefan

airbuseric
Topic Author

Sat Jun 06, 2009 9:33 pm

Hi Stefan,

Quoting StefanPAD (Reply 33):
I'll fly to JFK again next month, but for the first time on BA via LHR. Well, let's see, how it works out.

I'm sure that will work out for you, travelling via T5 now.
Have a nice trip!

Regards,
Eric