staralliance38
Topic Author

Got Lobstah? BOS In 3Hrs W/US PHF-CLT-BOS Pt1+PIX

Mon Jun 15, 2009 3:46 am

TR6

Got Lobstah? BOS in 3Hrs w/US PHF-CLT-BOS Pt1+PIX

After my “experience” on US4042 back in March (to read the TR, please look under my profile), a voucher was in order. As soon as the voucher came, I was wondering where to go. A city in the northeast US called my attention. Filled with history and culture and backed up by stories from my friends, I decided that it was time to pay a visit to Boston.

My dad and I had vouchers and so we decided to go to Boston. After waiting for the right time to buy, we were scheduled to fly PHF-CLT- BOS-CLT-PHF with the CRJ, E190, E190, and CRJ. A week ago, I was looking at different options for our trip. I found there was an interesting return routing going from BOS to PIT-CLT-PHF. And thanks to my fellow A.nutters, I was able to find out the availability for those flights. It seemed our preferred routing to PIT was still open. We decided to chance it and pay the $50 same-day change fee.

June 13, 2009 - Daytrip Day: Boston

I woke up at 4:00am to arrive at Newport News/Williamsburg Intl Airport around 5:30am to ensure we got our coveted PIT routing. I was very happy to get the PIT diversion we wanted. The check-in agent also moved our seats up too! There was a funny FL employee who couldn’t get into the elevator and he was wondering if he got fired or just lost his “elevator privileges” Afterwards, we cleared security and waited in the gate area.

PHF at 5am

PHF is a small airport, but I love it. Windows give a clear view of the runways. PHF has free wifi, but I could not get access to the Internet from my iPod Touch or my Macbook. It kept on asking for a password. When I looked at the Information Desk, I noticed a big pile of US Airways Magazines. It turns out, Williamsburg is the Profile Subject for this month’s issue!

US operates from the lower gates in PHF. The gate agent said I wasn’t allowed to take pictures down here and told me to stop. So instead, I went upstairs with the same view and took pictures.

My ghost.....oooooo

Our plane was stored overnight there and was waiting patiently on the tarmac to hit the skies.

US2545
PSA Airlines
PHF-CLT
June 13, 2009

CRJ – N237PS

ETD: 6:55am
ATD: 6:56am
ETA: 8:03am
ATA: 7:53am

Seat: 9F

As I took my seat, I noticed that the safety cards were new and the armrests were re-done. I’m pretty sure is has been refurbished. I took a nap of the flight and took some pictures along the way.

A map of CLT on my iPod Touch!

CLT soon came into sight as I pulled my camera out quickly to get some flyovers of CLT.

We landed in CLT and taxied to the E Concourse. As I got out, I hit my elbow on the overhead compartment getting out. I got some Cinnabon for breakfast/lunch and my dad got a sandwich.

Hmmm....a new airplane and airplane perhaps?

I wanted to visit the other lounge in CLT, the US Airways Club in B. I wanted to let them sign my hat. Alas, the sole receptionist seemed to care less. Very disappointing. I thought it would be sickening that I would have to come here again later in the day. CLT is a great airport with mostly great people, but the Clubs could be a bit more enthusiastic. Hopefully BOS and PIT would be more positive. I felt that I was getting sick of US based on this one experience, but then I heard some gate agents sharing jokes with passengers and some pilots sharing and comparing music, which showed me there’s a human side to US CLT. I also sampled CLT’s wifi. Excellent!

Our E190 pulled into C15 from MSY; my ride to BOS

US1800
CLT-BOS
June 13, 2009

Embraer 190 – N957UW

ETD: 9:40am
ATD: 10:02am
ETA: 11:54am
ATA: 11:48am

Seat: 5F

As we boarded, I found out we had the wall seat, the seat facing the wall between F and Y. I was pretty happy  . It was a full flight and after we pushed back, I enjoyed the extra legroom. I also found the new In-flight menus in the seatbacks! Our takeoff queue was long and seemed even more horrendously long when you are drowsy and popping in and out. Finally, we sped down the runway and remembering the time the wheels were up, I fell asleep.

When I woke up, the flight deck announced that we were flying over Norfolk, VA. My dad and I laughed. We had been traveling for a couple of hours already and we were back where we started. I started writing my TR and set up my “office”.

So suddenly, we seemed to be dropping ever gradually and slowly. We had another good 30 minutes left and I was shocked we were making a descent. I kept writing as we kept falling. I was wondering whether or not they would offer the $3 snacks, but they never did. I don’t really mind. I just knew what I would be sneaking out  . Speaking of sneaking out, I prepared letters for the F/As but I never bothered to give them out. If I want it, I gotta get it  . That’s how I “discreetly” snuck out the new CRJ card in my magazine.

Landing in Boston flew us over many other airports and landing fields. Please ID if you can  

Airport 1

Airport 2

Airport 3

When we landed, the overhead compartment bin holding my bag popped open. No big deal. My dad and I had to get to the Ground Transportation quick. We only hade about three hours in BOS.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
End of Part One   

Thanks for reading!  

Please Comment! All comments welcome, constructive and criticizing. Thank you for reading and don’t forget to read the other part of the TR!  

Mark

[Edited 2009-06-14 20:51:02]
Roar, lion, roar

klemmi85

RE: Got Lobstah? BOS In 3Hrs W/US PHF-CLT-BOS Pt1+PIX

Mon Jun 15, 2009 8:41 am

Nice report, very well done!!

Mind telling me which App u used on your iPod to view the charts?

Thank you for the trip report!
quit a.net 07/2016

staralliance38
Topic Author

Mon Jun 15, 2009 5:04 pm

Quoting Klemmi85 (Reply 1):
Mind telling me which App u used on your iPod to view the charts?

Thank you!

I was using the FltPlan App on my iPod touch. It has all the maps for US aiports. Very helpful and very entertaining on flights  Smile
Roar, lion, roar

MKP1013

Mon Jun 15, 2009 5:40 pm

Nice report!

Airport 1 and Airport 2 appear to be the same  Smile I'm guessing PVD? No clue on airport 3

Cool pics, looking forward to part 2

staralliance38
Topic Author

Tue Jun 16, 2009 1:53 am

Quoting MKP1013 (Reply 3):
Airport 1 and Airport 2 appear to be the same I'm guessing PVD?

Oops, you're right lol! PVD you say? I'll look it up. Thanks!
Roar, lion, roar

deltairlines

Tue Jun 16, 2009 3:46 am

Airports 1/2 is Quonset State Airport in Rhode Island, home to the RI Air National Guard.

Airport 3 is the former South Weymouth NAS just south of Boston, which was decommisioned in the late 1990s. It's slated for non-aviation redevelopment.

AirframeAS

Tue Jun 16, 2009 4:08 am

Thanks for the shot of the Heritage Logo. I forgot US had those on the planes now. It still looks sharp to this day!
A Safe Flight Begins With Quality Maintenance On The Ground.

klemmi85

Tue Jun 16, 2009 8:58 am

Quoting StarAlliance38 (Reply 2):
I was using the FltPlan App on my iPod touch. It has all the maps for US aiports. Very helpful and very entertaining on flights Smile

Thank you, I will try it on my iPhone after I got home  Wink
quit a.net 07/2016

staralliance38
Topic Author

Tue Jun 16, 2009 10:42 pm

Thanks for the replies  Smile

Quoting DeltAirlines (Reply 5):
Airports 1/2 is Quonset State Airport in Rhode Island, home to the RI Air National Guard.

Airport 3 is the former South Weymouth NAS

Thank you lol  Smile

Quoting AirframeAS (Reply 6):
It still looks sharp to this day!

Yeah, some of my friends like this shot too. I think its great  Smile

Quoting Klemmi85 (Reply 7):
Thank you,

You're welcome  Smile
Roar, lion, roar