FlyPIJets
Topic Author

WN RDU - LAS Something Fun, Rare And Cool (

Tue Jul 21, 2009 11:54 pm

This trip to Vegas is my first trip report in a long while. I hope you enjoy it. I know this report seems a little routine, but, a few things happened and I thought you might enjoy.

July 9th, 2009
Southwest Flight 112 scheduled departure @ 2:40p scheduled arrival @ 4:35p - pretty much on time departing - about 15 min early arriving. It was a 737-700, of course. The aircraft was exceptionally clean. Nearly 100% full - less one middle seat, which was between me and my partner. That was awesome.

View from our aircraft window - the RDU terminal 1 ramp. That is an Eagle Flight crossing over to the terminal 2 side.

Getting the demonstration, better pay attention.

US Airways Star Alliance ERJ-170 (right?)

Now we are above 10,000 ft. Light chop headed over the Appalachians.

Okay - I promised something fun. I was head to Vegas to be the best man in a wedding. The groom's mother was also on this flight, though we were not sitting near each other, she was traveling with a friend (this friend turns out to be an very interesting story latter on). I know she is a very nervous flyer, so, I told the flight attendant her drinks were on me. I didn't mention the wedding.

The flight attendant goes up to my friend and let's her know someone is buying her drinks. She explains the wedding. Flight attendant comes back to me, let's me know Southwest is comping the drinks!!! How fun is that! People miss the good old days of flying - nope they are still around.

Over the midwest - plains states.

As I said above, empty seat between me and my partner - the lap top comes out and we watch a movie. I little hard to hear because of the ...

...20 or so laughing, giggling and squealing, all dressed in pink 20 something dental hygienists headed to their first ever convention - many have never flown. It was pretty funny to listen to.

more fun stuff

The flight attendant decided to play a little gambling game on the way to Vegas. Everyone that wanted to wrote their seat number on a $1 bill and placed it into a bag. One $1 bill was withdrawn - and the seat number written on the bill won all the money in the bag. How fun is that? (winner was A4, not me.)

Now for something rare
At least I think it is rare. You let me know when the last time this happened to you. I got a free deck of WN playing cards. Yup, when was the last time you got a deck of cards, free, from an airline?

I was headed to the restroom and I saw them in the galley area. I asked, telling the F/A I collected airline ephemera. They were all too happy to oblige. Sweet, again I ask, when was your last free deck of airline playing cards - which airlines actually carry them? Who pines for the old days? They are still here, at least on my SWA flight they are.

Another inside shot from my seat. Sorry, you won't get to see my knees.  Smile But leg room was fine.

Menu - here is a thought, SWA, tell me about buying drink coupons BEFORE I'm on the plane. I don't recall any signage at RDU saying this feature is available. Very good idea, though. Should be an excellent revenue generator.

While in Vegas...

Remember me telling you above the my friend, the grooms mother, was traveling with her friend. And there was a good story about her, too. Well, this friend of a friend was a F/A for Piedmont - based in ROA no less.

How cool - she attended many of the wedding events and I had to work to not monopolize her time. Great stories, neat bidding tricks. The ROA base closed one year after she became employed there - the same year USAir took over. Loved the stories of commuting to BWI, CLT and then PIT. Her best comment, after the USAir takeover of PI, many passengers would ask F/As if they were "USAir" or "Piedmont." She was so happy to be able to answer Piedmont.

[b]Time to head back to RDU[/b}
July 13th, 2009
Southwest flight 1774 scheduled to depart @10:15a and scheduled to arrive @ 5:55p

Flight left on-time and arrive @ RDU 30 mins early. 100% full, no empty seat this time. This flight was pretty uneventful. Not much to say about it. This always seems to be the case flying back from LAS.

Spotting at LAS was awful, was much around visible from the C gates.

PIcture of the LAS C gates - all SWA land. I like TRs that include airport interior shots.

This is gate C7 - I'm pretty sure it is a widebody gate. IIRC - I boarded a UA747 to ORD here many moons ago (that was a treat). D gates in the background.

And we are headed home.

getting closer to home.

View from the seat - you still won't get to see my knees - pitch was fine, I'll assure you.  Smile

Getting closer.

Even closer

[b]And we come to the last promise . . . something cool[/b}

Remember that a drop in air pressure can cause any water vapor in that air to condense, just like with contrails? Take a close look at this picture...

Notice in the lower right corner, trails of water. Also if you look closely in the center of the picture a darker gray scalloped edge. That is condensate below the edge. We were in clear air. I was fascinated to watch as this water to appear, evaporate, appear, evaporate. All in clear air. It was a considerable amount of water for flying through the air at, what, 240 knots or so.

Goes to show you why piston engine w/carburetors need to be concerned about carb ice even in warmer clear weather. The moisture is there, and plenty of it, sometimes.

Fascinating!

Sorry, I was so happy to be back home, I forgot to take some RDU arrival shot. I hope you enjoyed the TR. Feedback is always welcome.

Southwest gave me a great flight, made me realize the old days are still around.
Rex Kramer: Get that finger out of your ear! You don't know where that finger's been!

FlyPIJets
Topic Author

RE: WN RDU - LAS Something Fun, Rare And Cool (

Wed Jul 22, 2009 12:00 am

Many thanks to the A.net crew for helping get this posted. It has taken about a week to get it posted, but here it is. I wish it were better after all the effort.

I hope there aren't too many typos, I am afraid to edit it.

Thanks for reading, hope you enjoy it. Feedback always welcome.

FyPI.
Rex Kramer: Get that finger out of your ear! You don't know where that finger's been!

staralliance38

Wed Jul 22, 2009 2:44 am

great TR. Looks like you had a great experience with WN. Thanks for sharing!
Roar, lion, roar

Longhornmaniac

Wed Jul 22, 2009 6:44 am

Neat experience, for sure! Thanks for the TR! I normally avoid WN, but sounds to me like the good customer service isn't a myth.  Wink

Thanks again!

Cheers,
Cameron
Cheers,
Cameron

AirframeAS

Wed Jul 22, 2009 7:30 am

Quoting FlyPIJets (Thread starter):
I got a free deck of WN playing cards. Yup, when was the last time you got a deck of cards, free, from an airline?

I got some too, on my last WN flight back to DEN from SEA/OAK. Are yours the "WPT" type cards?

Spotting at LAS was awful, was much around visible from the C gates.

LAS is the worst place for spotting, IMO. The last time I flown into LAS was on HP back in 2002. It basically....sucked. Rude HP staff didn't help much, especially I was flying non-rev!

But great TR! Thanks a lot for sharing, sir!  Smile
A Safe Flight Begins With Quality Maintenance On The Ground.

FlyPIJets
Topic Author

Thu Jul 23, 2009 1:13 pm

Quoting Longhornmaniac (Reply 3):
I normally avoid WN, but sounds to me like the good customer service isn't a myth.  

Interesting that I have great stories about WN and AA, both Texas based airlines. Makes me wish BN were still around.

Quoting AirframeAS (Reply 4):
Are yours the "WPT" type cards?

No, the cards I got are an ad for SWA gift cards. Appropriate.

Quoting AirframeAS (Reply 4):
LAS is the worst place for spotting, IMO.

Yeah, airlines have cut back at LAS. Used to be there was quite the variety at LAS. I did see an AM 767, quite a nice looking a/c. But no good photos from me.

BMIFlyer

Thu Jul 23, 2009 4:29 pm

Nice, WN looks petty damn good if I may say so  Smile

A pleasant read, thanks

Lee
Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own

thegreatRDU

Wed Dec 02, 2009 12:09 am

Nice looks like a good time...I've flown this flight several times...always full....
Our Returning Champion

BrouAviation

Wed Dec 02, 2009 7:31 pm

Great report, nice to read!

The flight attendant goes up to my friend and let's her know someone is buying her drinks. She explains the wedding. Flight attendant comes back to me, let's me know Southwest is comping the drinks!!! How fun is that! People miss the good old days of flying - nope they are still around.

And she made the right choice, considering the whole world is reading this now! This is the cheapest advertising SWA ever had, and it might be very effective!

...20 or so laughing, giggling and squealing, all dressed in pink 20 something dental hygienists headed to their first ever convention - many have never flown. It was pretty funny to listen to.

I really wouldn't like to have those on my flight, I like to have silence and rest in the cabin. Some look hot though. Big grin

Thank you for this nice read!
Never ask somebody if he's a pilot. If he is, he will let you know soon enough!

PI4EVER

Wed Dec 02, 2009 10:16 pm

I got a comp drink myself recently on a WN flight for passing the "exit row" quiz. Advising the F/A I knew we were flying on a 737-700 because we had orange painted wing fairings and therefore the window opened out, she awarded me a free drink for knowing more than the "average bear." I actually sucked up two free drinks since my traveling companion Brother was the designated driver at our destination.
I've never had an unpleasant Southwest flight experience and consider their service and price with every trip I plan. They deliver a consistent product and service for the money and while you may not be dazzled and pampered, you won't be flying on most others unless you opt for the front seats.
A nice trip report on a great airline. Thanks for taking the time to write it up for us.
Thomas
watch what you want. you may get it.

nwmke

Sun Dec 06, 2009 1:29 am

I don't like WN...but you seemed to have had a decent flight. The seats looked narrow and close together.

Personally, I would never fly WN. Legacy carriers all the way.
flying is all i love

Womack17

Sun Dec 13, 2009 7:20 am

Great Report old friend!! I have never had a bad experience with WN - ever. Have flown both WN long hauls from RDU (LAS & PHX) several times and as always had a nice time. Have also flown the LAX-BNA flight.

Even though I love WN, I miss Midway's wonderful service to LAS.

Thanks for all the photo's and the contrail photo was the best.

Remind me to tell ya sometime about my BNA-RDU- turn around back to BNA without landing WN flight.

-Womack17
Oh how I miss Midway Airlines. A class act right to then end.

C8fromONT

Thu Dec 17, 2009 3:53 am

I LOVE seeing Southwest TR's. It's just a great airline and I have always had a great experience with them.....

Thanks!

-Caitlin

Econojetter

Thu Dec 17, 2009 4:28 am

Very nicely done! Thank you...

WN is certainly a fun airline and the spirit comes through in your report.

The flight attendant decided to play a little gambling game on the way to Vegas. Everyone that wanted to wrote their seat number on a $1 bill and placed it into a bag. One $1 bill was withdrawn - and the seat number written on the bill won all the money in the bag. How fun is that? (winner was A4, not me.)

My experiences were very pleasant, though less extraordinary. The cabin crew did welcome us to the city of Lost Wages though as we exited the runway at LAS.

And yes... the legroom was good.

C8fromONT

Sat Dec 19, 2009 4:49 am

I enjoy seeing LAS trips, especially on Southwest!!

thegreatRDU

Tue Dec 29, 2009 12:51 am

Quoting NwMKE (Reply 11):
Personally, I would never fly WN. Legacy carriers all the way.

I tried them just to try them several times...but I've had my share...
Our Returning Champion