fun2fly

RE: DL 777-200LR BusinessElite, Atlanta To Dubai

Thu Oct 29, 2009 6:16 pm

Heading to Australia. Doing some research on carriers. Considering SQ A345 (EWR) vs. DL 77L (LAX) vs. UA 744 (LAX). Carrier service aside, I need the best business cabin configuration for a family of 5 with two children ages 2 and 4 plus a baby. Cannot go on QF. Let me know your thoughts still on the 77L herringbone setup? If you haven't flownt the other carriers, that's OK. I can pursue that other ways.

aluminumcity

Thu Oct 29, 2009 7:43 pm

Wow, those businessElite seats look IDENTICAL except for the fabric to the Air Canada Executive First XM seats on their 767, 777s and A330s. Wow. Are these Boeing standard seats? The similarity to AC really surprised me.
"Well, if I were flying on an MD-80, I'd be taking those anti-depressants too."

HOOB747

Fri Oct 30, 2009 2:14 am

Quoting Egyptair269 (Reply 37):
But wouldnt it be just cheaper to buy miles? (only on the FFP programs that offer that ofcourse)

Buying the miles wouldn't have done me any good, as I needed 700 more elite qualifying miles for my Exec. status, and the only way to earn EQM's is to actually fly them. It was definitely worth the $200 for the ticket.
I love dem planes....

mayor

Sat Oct 31, 2009 10:59 pm

Quoting N104UA (Reply 22):
That makes no sense why they get mad non-revs get the seats AFTER all of the upgrades are done, and from my experience non-revs are always better behaved in upper classes then a lot of paying customers

Exactly. It gripes me when people complain about non-revs riding in F or C when they KNOW that the non-revs are the last ones to get seats.
"A committee is a group of the unprepared, appointed by the unwilling, to do the unnecessary"----Fred Allen

N104UA

Sat Oct 31, 2009 11:10 pm

Quoting Mayor (Reply 53):

Quoting N104UA (Reply 22):
That makes no sense why they get mad non-revs get the seats AFTER all of the upgrades are done, and from my experience non-revs are always better behaved in upper classes then a lot of paying customers

Exactly. It gripes me when people complain about non-revs riding in F or C when they KNOW that the non-revs are the last ones to get seats.

I guess you just have to be a Non-Rev to understand it, and also the premier would probably rather have that seat next to him empty rather then it occupied
"Learn the rules, so you know how to break them properly." -H.H. The Dalai Lama

mayor

Sun Nov 01, 2009 3:03 am

Quoting Chris78cpr (Reply 46):
I'm not even a Delta flyer, but i can totally understand why it pisses alot of people off.

Then your credibility when it comes to nonrevs on DL is sort of suspect, isn't it?

I'm sorry, but I don't feel sorry for those Diamond/Platinum members at all. If they wanted to ride in BE badly enough, they would have done what they had to to book it properly. Don't blame the nonrevs for your problems. Again, they only get a seat when nobody else takes it.
"A committee is a group of the unprepared, appointed by the unwilling, to do the unnecessary"----Fred Allen

rjpieces

Sun Nov 01, 2009 3:14 am

Great trip report! Currently, just the 777-200 LRs and the 767-400s have the new lie-flat seats (but different ones), correct?
"Millions long for immortality who do not know what to do with themselves on a rainy Sunday afternoon"

Carlisle

Sun Nov 01, 2009 8:19 pm

Quoting Transpac787 (Thread starter):
Departures board, showing DL8 with nonstop service to DXB

They have EVV - EVANSVILLE, INDIANA my hometown !!!  bigthumbsup 

Excellent TR and yes, the 77L is an amazing piece of heavy metal. Thank you for sharing the photos and information!

Cheers,

Jeremy Carlisle
"CLEAN PLANES AND DIRTY MARTINIS" (Delta)

optionscle

Sun Nov 01, 2009 9:34 pm

Quoting Chris78cpr (Reply 46):

Actually it's more to the point that Delta seem to ignore it when there are pax on the plane booked in Y due to whatever reason that are Diamond/Platinum members who spend upwards of $5k, $10k or $20k etc with the airline every year and that they get left there and shown generally no offer of an op up when the J cabin is near empty.

I think the rationale there is that a business class seat, on it's own, is $5-20K round trip. If you incentivize your high frequency customers NOT to buy these tickets by upgrading them for free, all it takes is a single paid J ticket that a Medallion decides to book in Y, instead, and the $5k, $10k or $20k that you mention is completely wiped out by lost revenue opportunity. I'm a Gold Medallion myself and love when I get an op-up, but I also have a ounce of business knowledge and would never expect it for free every time!

Transpac787
Topic Author

Wed Nov 04, 2009 6:23 pm

Quoting Fun2fly (Reply 50):
I need the best business cabin configuration for a family of 5 with two children ages 2 and 4 plus a baby.

I would suggest UA in that case, as their J-cabin configuration is 2-4-2 and you could get 4 seats together in the middle section.

Quoting Aluminumcity (Reply 51):
Wow. Are these Boeing standard seats?

No, it's a new type DL is getting. Allegedly the DL 747-400's will get them too, while the 767-400 and 767-300 will get the Thompson-type lie-flat seat. I haven't yet heard what the plans are for the A330's.

Quoting Mayor (Reply 53):

I guess someone has to take the fall, eh??  Silly

Quoting RJpieces (Reply 56):
(but different ones), correct?

Correct. The cabins will all be in 1-2-1 configuration, though.

Quoting Carlisle (Reply 57):
They have EVV - EVANSVILLE, INDIANA my hometown !!!

I was wondering where that was, haha.

Quoting OptionsCLE (Reply 58):
I'm a Gold Medallion myself and love when I get an op-up, but I also have a ounce of business knowledge and would never expect it for free every time!

Absolutely. It is good for airlines to reward their loyal customers with free upgrades, reward tickets, and other such FF program benefits, but you'd trash your international yields if you constantly handed out free upgrades - no one would ever pay for a premium cabin seat.

aces727

Thu Nov 05, 2009 12:40 am

Nice trip report... Love the Dubai pictures.

Glad to see that Delta is no longer sending the 763 to DXB.

panamair

Thu Nov 05, 2009 5:53 pm

Quoting Aces727 (Reply 60):
Glad to see that Delta is no longer sending the 763 to DXB.

Delta has never sent a 763ER to DXB. The first time Delta entered the DXB market was in 2001 from JFK via CAI and it was operated with an MD11. That service was cancelled shortly after 9/11. ATL-DXB was started back in 2006 or 2007 with a 777-200ER and was upgraded to the 777-200LR within the last year as more 77Ls started arriving on the property.

aces727

Sat Nov 21, 2009 12:26 pm

I've seen Delta's 767-300 in Dubai myself. November of 2008.

JHCRJ700

Sat Nov 21, 2009 3:46 pm

Great Report
I have a question. How do you like the angled seats?
Keep close to Nature’s heart... and break clear away, once in awhile, and climb a mountain or spend a week in the woods. Wash your spirit clean.

aviationbuff08

Mon Nov 23, 2009 11:37 am

Glad to hear you had a good time in DXB, I went there this past spring. It was great and better than I ever expected. Although I was a bit nervous since I was going alone as I could not convince a friend to go along with me and it was my first trip outside of North America. I went swimming in the Persian Gulf, and toured the mall of the Emirates and the Diera city center mall as it was nearby my hotel and still Dubai's most popular mall. According to my city guide book I bought when I arrived in DXB duty free. At times I did feel out of place but found it interesting to hear American music on the radio in the taxi cabs, which were very new and clean. I should have done a TR but I did take lots of pics so I could still do one if anyone is interested in hearing, or reading. I am definately looking to go back now that its not blazing hott over there this time of year. I am watching the Business L/F to plan the best dates so I can get one of those awesome J class seats. LOL I rode over there in one of the 772LR and was supposed to have a 772LR but when I checked in and was cleared in Business I was very disappointed that I had seat 3J, a window seat on a 772ER (equipement Sub for some unknown reason) as I was looking forward for another 12+ hour flight in one of those awesome seats, not to mention the PTV with AVOD. Oh the look on the ticket agent's face when I mutter "awe darn" as he handed me my boarding pass. So I attempted to explain the difference between the 772LR vs the 772ER to the agent only getting blank stares in return.

Quoting Burj (Reply 32):
A whole other discussion would be if it made more sense economically to make it easier for people to upgrade (via cash or miles) so that Delta gets SOMETHING for those nifty seats....

Or Delta could reward its own employees with some nifty seats. We all know happy employees work harder and faster than unhappy ones.  duck 

Quoting Transpac787 (Reply 59):
Absolutely. It is good for airlines to reward their loyal customers with free upgrades, reward tickets, and other such FF program benefits, but you'd trash your international yields if you constantly handed out free upgrades - no one would ever pay for a premium cabin seat.

gasp  What? pay for a first class seat?? That is the problem with domestic first class seats, the elites don't tend to buy them becasue they know if they are not sold they will get upgraded. No incentive to spend $700 on a first class seat when they can spend $300. and get upgraded.

Quoting Aces727 (Reply 62):
I've seen Delta's 767-300 in Dubai myself. November of 2008.

I don't doubt that you did see a Delta 767-300ER in DXB, it most certainly was a US military charter.

fraspotter

Tue Nov 24, 2009 9:33 am

Great trip report with nice pics of both DXB and the 77L. I've been to Dubai only once before (April 2004) and this report made me want to go back!

Quoting Transpac787 (Thread starter):
I about died on the spot when I saw that "TOP GUN" was one of the movie selections available. I started that up right away!!

And to think that while I was reading this I was also trying to think of a DVD to watch. Looks like you made my mind up for me!  Big grin Absolutely love that movie...
"The strength of the turbulence is directly proportional to the temperature of your coffee."

— Gunter's Second Law of Air Travel