Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

SOBHI51
Topic Author

Another BAD Trip With SQ

Tue Sep 15, 2009 9:17 am

Seems i have bad luck travelling on SQ. I read all reports about SQ and find nothing but praise about them, not me.

I did have a choice between, Qatar, Etihad and SQ. I chose SQ as it was a direct flight with a stop in DXB all others i did have to change planes either at Doha or Abudhabi.

SQ453 RUH-DXB-SIN
B777-200
Seat 12K

Departed RUH on time check in was delayed due to everybody at the airport was braking there fasting. It is Ramadan.

Check in agent was very slow took him over 15 minutes to check me in even so i already check in on the internet.
Passport lines were long only one officer working.

Boarding was on time and i was the only one in C on this sector. BTW there was a special desk for C passengers at check in but it was not manned.

The 777 was a rejional one, why does SQ uses them on an 11 hour trip is beyond me.

Old plane, very bad seats, no Kris world so it is more like flying Silk air but paying the prices of SQ.

Another thing i tried booking an F seat on this flight but SQ web page was showing either non available or fully booked. All 12 F seats were empty for the full flight. Good job SQ you must be making a lot of money.

Now no proper entertainment on this flight, no confy seat, maybe the food will be great, again the answer is no. From RUH to DXB a small plate with 2 vine leaves, a dollar size hummus and 3 dried beef, 3 tomatoes, thats it, no bread no nothing. The FA on this flight saw me still hungry as i was fasting she brought me a chicken sandwich from somewhere.

On the flight from DXB i chose the Kingfish, the fish itself was terrible but the potatoes and veggies were good. Breakfast was not requested.

Arriving SIN i went through immigration in no time, went to pick up my luggage, crew luggage arrived in no time but did wait, and wait and wait for over 25 minutes for my 2 pieces? Now on this flight there were 3 pax total on C and Y was full but only 3 people finished the trip in SIN all others were connecting to other destinations. So really with the excellent reputation of SQ and SIN why did it take 25 minutes for 5 pieces of luggage to show and the crew luggage was there 20 minutes earlier?

Now i have to say that there was some great moments on this trip not much but a couple.

The plane left on time and we arrived on time.
The most important part and the best part of this trip are the crew, they are the best and flying with them is a pleasure they really go out of there way to help and serve you. Ok we were only 3 in C but they are there smiling, helping and serving. That apply to both crew on this flight as there was a change of crew in DXB.

I do not know how SQ can compete in this area of the world i can think of at least 3 airlines with much more comfortable seats and better food and entertainment system.

Thanks for reading.
I am against any terrorist acts committed under the name of Islam

krisworldB777

RE: Another BAD Trip With SQ

Tue Sep 15, 2009 9:35 am

Sorry you had such a bad trip on SQ.

Quoting SOBHI51 (Thread starter):
The most important part and the best part of this trip are the crew, they are the best and flying with them is a pleasure they really go out of there way to help and serve you.

Glad the crew was good.

The 777 was a rejional one, why does SQ uses them on an 11 hour trip is beyond me.

I do agree that the regional business class seats are inadequate for an 11-hour flight, but I do believe these routes will soon be serviced by aircraft with the new products.

Old plane, very bad seats, no Kris world so it is more like flying Silk air but paying the prices of SQ.

I'm not quite sure what you meant by this as all 777s are fitted with Krisworld, though some of the older aircraft do not feature AVOD. I'm not sure I'd agree that the 777s are as bad as Silkair's equipment, however.

I do not know how SQ can compete in this area of the world i can think of at least 3 airlines with much more comfortable seats and better food and entertainment system.

I would say it's probably best to vote with your wallet on this one by choosing an airline you consider to offer a superlative hard product.

SOBHI51
Topic Author

Tue Sep 15, 2009 9:54 am

Quoting KrisworldB777 (Reply 1):
I do agree that the regional business class seats are inadequate for an 11-hour flight, but I do believe these routes will soon be serviced by aircraft with the new products.

I took similar flight last year with SQ i wote to them about regional food etc... They responded that they are replacing planes on this route. Now that was April 2008 about 15 months ago. SQ received a few new planes during this time so really why the delay, and why on there web page they do not show those terrible seats???

I'm not quite sure what you meant by this as all 777s are fitted with Krisworld, though some of the older aircraft do not feature AVOD.

My mistake there was no Avod but only 6 movies and on top of that the nicest one "Proposal' was not working.

would say it's probably best to vote with your wallet

Will do on my next trip.

Glad the crew was good.

Best thing in this flight.

BTW returning on Sunday to tell you the truth i am not looking forward to this trip.

ojas

Tue Sep 15, 2009 2:26 pm

Sorry to know about your bad experience on SQ.

Now that's a little too much.

Breakfast was not requested.

Didn't quite understand this, did they refuse to serve you breakfast or did you not opt for it?

and wait and wait for over 25 minutes for my 2 pieces? Now on this flight there were 3 pax total on C and Y was full but only 3 people finished the trip in SIN all others were connecting to other destinations. So really with the excellent reputation of SQ and SIN why did it take 25 minutes for 5 pieces of luggage to show and the crew luggage was there 20 minutes earlier?

I cannot categorically remember the crew luggage coming on passenger carousels. It is my understanding that crew normally have a carry on bag thats it.

However for a C class passenger 25 mins is unacceptable.

It has been discussed a lot that why SQ sends its old product to the Gulf and that they need to upgrade it, so I believe you must have had a fairly good idea as to what product would be used on this sector.

From RUH to DXB a small plate with 2 vine leaves, a dollar size hummus and 3 dried beef, 3 tomatoes, thats it, no bread no nothing

A picture here would have given a clear view. However, I don't know for a one and a half hour flight from RUH to DXB, how much does an airline serve.

I read all reports about SQ and find nothing but praise about them, not me

A similar segment report, on SIN - AUH ( which continues to JED) on the old B777.
The Singapore Airlines Cliché (by Ronerone Jul 27 2009 in Trip Reports)

Hope you have a better return journey.
Great leaders don't tell you what to do ... they show you how it's done!

SOBHI51
Topic Author

Tue Sep 15, 2009 2:39 pm

Quoting Ojas (Reply 3):
A picture here would have given a clear view. However, I don't know for a one and a half hour flight from RUH to DXB, how much does an airline serve.

On SV and Emirates you get a full meal.

Quoting Ojas (Reply 3):
I cannot categorically remember the crew luggage coming on passenger carousels. It is my understanding that crew normally have a carry on bag thats it.

It did came on the same carousel with bright yellow sticker and it was another chance to thank the crew for an excellent service.

Quoting Ojas (Reply 3):
Didn't quite understand this, did they refuse to serve you breakfast or did you not opt for it?

The crew asked me while on the ground if i will be eating breakfast, i said i am not sure. They never asked me again. Mind you breakfast was nothing to write home about.

Quoting Ojas (Reply 3):
It has been discussed a lot that why SQ sends its old product to the Gulf and that they need to upgrade it, so I believe you must have had a fairly good idea as to what product would be used on this sector.

Last year i flew Etihad to KUL it was a great flight, But i must have great expectations flying SQ and the reality was shocking to say the least.

ojas

Tue Sep 15, 2009 3:00 pm

Quoting SOBHI51 (Reply 4):
On SV and Emirates you get a full meal.

Seeing the food items you listed, it did seem you were served a complete meal, because even in EY, EK, GF, QR serve the meals in similar quantity. Probably you were very hungry as you might be fasting.

Quoting SOBHI51 (Reply 4):
Last year i flew Etihad to KUL it was a great flight, But i must have great expectations flying SQ and the reality was shocking to say the least.

Well its strange, because everyone across the board knows the different versions of products all top airlines offer, especially the likes of SQ, EK. So I'm shocked that you were shocked.

SOBHI51
Topic Author

Tue Sep 15, 2009 3:14 pm

Quoting Ojas (Reply 5):
Well its strange, because everyone across the board knows the different versions of products all top airlines offer, especially the likes of SQ, EK. So I'm shocked that you were shocked.

J class on Etihad are full flat beds and they have in seat power. SQ does have none of that. Also food was much better on Etihad.

Quoting Ojas (Reply 5):
Seeing the food items you listed, it did seem you were served a complete meal, because even in EY, EK, GF, QR serve the meals in similar quantity. Probably you were very hungry as you might be fasting.

Sorry but you are wrong here, on SQ i received a small plate on other airlines you get a full tray. They did not even got bread. Air dried beef is eaten with toast and butter. Ask the Swiss.

ojas

Tue Sep 15, 2009 3:19 pm

Quoting SOBHI51 (Reply 6):
J class on Etihad are full flat beds and they have in seat power. SQ does have none of that.

Check out the J class on the EY A320s, and the J class on SQ's B77W,A380. The point is both airlines have a poor regional product.

SOBHI51
Topic Author

Tue Sep 15, 2009 8:21 pm

Quoting Ojas (Reply 7):
Check out the J class on the EY A320s, and the J class on SQ's B77W,A380. The point is both airlines have a poor regional product

Agree with you but EY does not use there regional on a 10+ hours flight. RUH-DXB-SIN is not regional.

henkybaby

Tue Sep 15, 2009 10:39 pm

I have similar bad experiences on SQ flying regional J on long haul. The reason I always use BA when I can is the consistency of their product. I hate airlines where it is a lottery what seats you will get.
Wherever you go, there you are!

MadameConcorde

Wed Sep 16, 2009 9:46 am

I just read your trip report. Sorry to hear you had such a bad experience on your Singapore Airlines international flights especially in a premium cabin and got less than what you paid for.

I will say next time vote with your feet and move to another airline that will take you from your region to wherever you will be going. This is what competition is all about. We can choose to spend our money with who will give us the most for how much we spend.
There was a better way to fly it was called Concorde

SOBHI51
Topic Author

Wed Sep 16, 2009 1:47 pm

Quoting MadameConcorde (Reply 10):
I will say next time vote with your feet and move to another airline that will take you from your region to wherever you will be going. This is what competition is all about. We can choose to spend our money with who will give us the most for how much we spend.

Thank you MadameConcorde for your input. The truth is i tried to book on both Qatar and Etihad but there were no seats available for the dates i wanted. What is surprising is that on SQ only 3 passengers only were in J. Makes you wonder.

Quoting Henkybaby (Reply 9):
The reason I always use BA when I can is the consistency of their product. I hate airlines where it is a lottery what seats you will get.

Well on BA they will not fly a EuroClub plane on a flight like LHR-IAD for example. A flight over 3 hours except in the USA is not regional anymore just my  twocents .

ycp81

Wed Sep 16, 2009 3:47 pm

Quoting SOBHI51 (Reply 11):
The truth is i tried to book on both Qatar and Etihad but there were no seats available for the dates i wanted. What is surprising is that on SQ only 3 passengers only were in J. Makes you wonder.

It seems SQ is losing a lot of premium pax on their Middle-Eastern routes to the Middle-Eastern airlines (QR,EK,EY etc) due to SQ's inferior premium cabins on their regional 777s used on the routes.
My past and future travels - http://www.ba97.com/ba97/calendar/report.asp?handle=ycp81

SOBHI51
Topic Author

Wed Sep 16, 2009 4:29 pm

Quoting Ojas (Reply 3):
I cannot categorically remember the crew luggage coming on passenger carousels. It is my understanding that crew normally have a carry on bag that's it.

The crew were on a 3 day trip
First day SIN-DXB
Second day DXB-RUH-DXB
Third Day DXB-SIN
So they do have luggage.

Also forgot to mention the amenity kit was a pair of socks and eye shades, that's it. Saw on another trip report Egyptair gives a better one in Y.

MadameConcorde

Wed Sep 16, 2009 6:50 pm

Quoting SOBHI51 (Reply 13):
the amenity kit was a pair of socks and eye shades

There is not even the little blue textile bag with the palm tree logo.
I liked the old style Raffles Class, the nice big menus and all.
I am happy to have saved a good number of them in my SQ goodies collection.
There was a better way to fly it was called Concorde

directorguy

Wed Sep 16, 2009 8:41 pm

Sorry to hear about your poor experience on SQ. They have been very...average these days with the regional ac deployed to what should be a high-yielding destination. IIRC, CX had the same problems, but they now deploy a/c with better layouts on their M.E. routes.
Surprised the Iftar meal wasn't catered better-I've seen better meals on shorter flights on GF etc.
I'm glad the crew was good-that's a sign that with the right hardware, SQ is a great product.
Regards,
DG

Ryanair!!!

Thu Sep 17, 2009 1:40 am

Geez... another lash at the regional configured 772A. I would understand the deployment of these birds to regional destinations like MNL, CGK and BKK because they can support a First Class cabin. But it really dumbfounds me how they can deploy it so far off like ME.

This has been a bone of contention from the frequent premium flyers of SQ for years so I am not surprised at your rant. This is why they decided to upgrade their fleet of 773s last year with more respectable offerings premium wise but sadly, the 772A will not receive it as they will be out of the fleet next after the 747-400s bid adios. So these sub par premium products would still be around for a few more painful years.

Come to think of it, these seats are already 12 years old! Damn, a human being would have hit puberty already! But hey, good to know at least the crew was in their usual excellent selves.

But look at the bigger picture, I am sure SQ does not consider their KSA / ME routes as important as their other markets because they clearly think a nearer destination like HKG deserves a better product (77W) and thus you see multiple daily flights. I guess it is all about deployment strategy.

As for the empty PCL cabin, I can only speculate that an oil rich sheik had booked the entire cabin for his entourage (or maybe just for himself) but pulled out / failed to turn up at the last minute. A no-show penalty would have cost peanuts to them. Hehehehe... I have known people who were working for the airline and based in KSA so this story would not have been out of place.

[Edited 2009-09-16 18:40:48]

[Edited 2009-09-16 19:07:24]
Welcome to my starry one world alliance, a team in the sky!

SOBHI51
Topic Author

Thu Sep 17, 2009 7:47 am

Quoting Ryanair!!! (Reply 16):
As for the empty PCL cabin, I can only speculate that an oil rich sheik had booked the entire cabin for his entourage (or maybe just for himself) but pulled out / failed to turn up at the last minute

Thanks Ryannair
Was wondering as i will be here till Sunday if you have time for a lunch/dinner

Also i doubt very much that a shaikh will book an entire cabin on SQ as there F seats on this flights are below J on other airlines from that part of the world.

I tried booking on the 13 and 15/09 in F but no luck
Also the return on the 20th was a no go..

I love SQ but will never consider flying again with them as long as they use those regional planes

Cheers

ALexeu

Thu Sep 17, 2009 11:20 am

Does SQ has 5th freedom between RUH and DXB?

SOBHI51
Topic Author

Thu Sep 17, 2009 12:58 pm

Quoting AlexEU (Reply 18):
Does SQ has 5th freedom between RUH and DXB?

No they do not have fifth freedom RUH-DXB

Milesdependent

Fri Sep 18, 2009 2:28 pm

Sorry to hear of your disappointment with the regional class. I travelled on it recently - intentionally - but I forgot how bad a product it really is.

Quoting SOBHI51 (Reply 17):
Also i doubt very much that a shaikh will book an entire cabin on SQ as there F seats on this flights are below J on other airlines from that part of the world.

I tried booking on the 13 and 15/09 in F but no luck
Also the return on the 20th was a no go..

That is odd. I initially thought SIN-RUH is normally a 2 class aircraft, and they had a last minute aircraft substitution. But a check of SIN-RUH shows it is normally a 3 class a/c. How odd.

ronerone

Sun Sep 20, 2009 7:22 pm

Hi SOBHI!!

Thanks for a great TR!

I dont need to see any pictures for proof because i couldnt agree anymore with what you have said, as i have experienced something dangerously similar on a sister SQ route!

Don't care what anyone says, but a regional 777 will not work on 7 hour flight to the Middle East. Etihad has full flat beds, and personalised service, while Cathay now deploys their new product, both of which put SQ's offering to the Middle East to absolute shame.

SQ 'sees the light' in Abu Dhabi and that is why is decided to keep it on their network and upgrade it to daily, but they need to seriously do something about their offering to sustain. Same goes for their triple daily DXB operations. Considering the Middle East as a regional destination for Asian Carriers is so last year now!

Regards,
Roni
Fly Roni. Aviation Journeys. Photos. Videos.

docpepz

Mon Sep 21, 2009 4:47 am

If I am not wrong, most of the middle east routes will have the refurbished 777s by the end of the year.

Considering ISTANBUL as a regional destination from Singapore - now that's pushing it! That flight goes refurbished 777 by Nov I think.

The Middle East seems to be a region that SQ has never invested much in. It's always the last to get the new products. Perhaps the amount of O&D traffic between Singapore and the Mid East is low, and with EY, QR and EK flying direct from Dubai to Australia, SQ can't get much connecting pax between Australia and the Mid East. Further, the Y cabin of the DXB flights seem to be always filled with labour traffic from the Philippines and Indonesia, which can't be that great for yields.

sq_ek_freak

Thu Sep 24, 2009 7:34 pm

Quoting Ojas (Reply 3):

Totally normal for crew to have checked bags. At EK it's mandatory with any layover (cabin bag is a must with any flight even if it's a turnaround), and we do need them, I mean some of our Aussie rotations are 9 days long!

At DXB though we have a separate terminal of sorts so we wouldn't be collecting our good ol Samsonite suitcases with passengers.
Keep Discovering

Callbell

Fri Sep 25, 2009 11:45 pm

I wonder if F is deliberately unavailable on this route so they can operate it with less crew? If there was only 3 pax booked in J class on this flight in articular maybe F demand is zero. Just a thought.

MAS777

Thu Oct 08, 2009 12:31 am

try SQ's SIN-AMS - flew on that about 10 days ago and frankly was appalled..

A rickety old 777 with an awful Business Class seat that was impossible to get comfortable in.. broken and worn armrest with the IFE controls having a mind of its own so much so - i gave up watching Krisworld altogether - as it was difficult enough to watch the screen as the contrast/colour/sharpness somewhat were all non-existent.

no choice of dinner as everyone else seemed to have ordered the same meal and no choice of breakfast (french toast only - as all other choices had been taken!?) - unless i opted for the omelette served in Economy - which seemed to have been offered as a 'gesture' as i didn't get my choice for dinner 12 hrs earlier.

an eyeshade and a toothbrush (no paste?) in an old Raffles class clothbag... why bother??

am afraid the service was not such a great way to fly either since i hardly saw anyone on the whole sector.. and for the 'premium' that SQ charges....am afraid will probably revert back to MH on my europe-asia runs.

(no doubt will probably upset a whole spate of SQ fans on this site since they seem to vehemently take MH down at every opportunity.. *wink*)

SQ772

Thu Oct 08, 2009 2:25 am

Quoting Mas777 (Reply 25):
an eyeshade and a toothbrush (no paste?) in an old Raffles class clothbag... why bother??

Shouldn't it be eyeshades and a pair of socks? I've never seen toothbrushes provided in the cloth bags in J. Toothbrushes and pastes are stored in the lavatories.

A rickety old 777 with an awful Business Class seat that was impossible to get comfortable in.. broken and worn armrest with the IFE controls having a mind of its own so much so - i gave up watching Krisworld altogether - as it was difficult enough to watch the screen as the contrast/colour/sharpness somewhat were all non-existent.

Couldn't you have asked for a seat change instead of sitting there and feeling all grumpy and awful? Am sure there were empty J seats around, since no one in their right mind would want to travel on SQ's appalling Business Class *wink*

(no doubt will probably upset a whole spate of SQ fans on this site since they seem to vehemently take MH down at every opportunity.. *wink*)

I'm a HUGE SQ fan. But I think you should give us more credit. We don't run MH down just because SQ gets run down. Do we need to lower ourselves to your level? Many other members (non-SQ fans), former fans of MH, including the Malaysians run MH down like there's no tomorrow. Why are you picking on those who genuinely like SQ?? *wink*

Many of the SQ fans readily admit that SQ has its flaws and that their J class product is lacklustre (or in your own words, appalling) compared to the competition (and I don't mean MH).... *wink*
There's always a better way to fly...

9v-svc

Thu Oct 08, 2009 5:03 am

I do have mixed reviews on SQ and their service, through my mum , sister and friends. It seems that their service has gone straight down just like how the shares in the market drop. They seem to be getting more complacent and allowing their competitors to grab a bigger pie of the share.I will be flying on them this coming December, I will only then be able to judge whether they are still a top-notch airline or an overrated one.

Charles
Airliners is the wings of my life.

Qatara340

Thu Oct 08, 2009 9:37 am

Hi there!

I love your TR and I could imagine your experiences even with no pictures!

I have a question though. I am surprised that you did not know about this before you travelled. Personally for me, I am an aviation nut; Big grin I know what aircraft config. I use before I think about what airline to book. I mean SQ has been using these crappy seats for years now; and the 772 is well known to land in Dubai and continue onwards for some time now. You should've stuck with QR!

Well, hopefully next time Big grin
لا اله الا الله محمد رسول الله

akhmad

Fri Oct 09, 2009 4:08 pm

Hi,

I am sorry to hear your bad experiences with SQ. The last time I flew SQ was four years ago in Y. I never flew J with SQ.

SQ J class seems to be more expensive than others like EK, EY and QR. I flew QR J several times and I must say I was greatly satisfied about it.

I have been saving up for flying J with SQ, but I think I will stick to QR anytime.

Thank you for sharing.

Cheers,
Suryo
There is no deity except You. Exalted are You. Indeed, I have been of the wrongdoers.

SOBHI51
Topic Author

Fri Oct 09, 2009 4:57 pm

Quoting QatarA340 (Reply 28):
You should've stuck with QR

Quoting Akhmad (Reply 29):
I will stick to QR anytime.

I flew QR RUH-DOH-IAD-DOH-RUH in J last year, it was a great experience.

But as i said in my report could not find any seats on QR nor EY. And i did have to go in that time period.