Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Transpac787
Topic Author

DL 747-400 BusinessElite, Detroit To Tokyo (pics)

Fri Nov 27, 2009 3:26 am

Hey all,

Well, this is *probably* my final TR for 2009 unless I can squeeze another in late December. Hoping for JNB or DKR on DL but we'll see if that works out or not. In any case, I lose my AA flight benefits in December, as well as a significant part of my NW/DL flight benefits, so I thought I'd take a bit of a 'retirement' trip before I'm down to just UA and a watered-down version of NW/DL. Since I seem to live and die by taking trips across the Pacific, I thought what better place than to go to NRT to get in a few last 747-400's.  bigthumbsup 

I did meet a buddy from work over in NRT and we spent one night over there so at least it wasn't one of my patented international quickturns. Since it was the weekend before thanksgiving, most flights were remarkably full and I had to do some crazy routing to b e able to get out east and then back home. Final itinerary:

DEN-FAR: UA CR2
FAR-ORD: UA CR2
ORD-DTW: NW D95
DTW-NRT: NW 744
NRT-LAX: NW 744
LAX-FAT: UA EM2
FAT-DEN: UA CR2

22 November 2009
NW341, DTW-NRT
Block Time: 13 hours, 35 minutes
747-451, N661US, Ship# 6301 "The Queen of the Fleet"
Seat: 12A, main deck BusinessElite

Load Factor-
Business: 60%
Coach: 95%

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © John Droog

My trip didn't get off to the best start, having to take two CRJ-200's to get out to ORD where I had to spend the night and catch the 744 on DTW-NRT the next morning. That morning, however, DTW had terrible cloud-cover and visibility, right at CAT-IIIB minimums. Given how the DC9 fleet of NW's is certified to only CAT-II, we ended up sitting on the ground in ORD for a bit over an hour and a half, waiting for the weather to clear up enough for us to get into DTW.

Detroit World Gateway. My favorite terminal facility - too bad it's pretty rare when I get out to DTW.

NW341 on 22NOV was initially scheduled to be ship 6308 (N668US) which was coming inbound from MNL and NGO that morning. However, having gone on maintenance in NGO, ship 6308 was nowhere to be seen. I was really nervous that I was going to get ship 6316 - a 744 that I've been on four times previously and I knew was sitting as a ready reserve in DTW. To my huge excitement though, I saw that NW341 was going to be operated with ship 6301 instead - the first 747-400 ever in commercial service, delivered in 1989. NW crews call her "Queen of the Fleet", or just more simply "The Queen".

Ship 6301, "The Queen of the Fleet", at gate A56 in DTW, operating NW341 to NRT

Given the relatively light load in J-class for the flight, the gate agents cleared me about 2.5 hours early. Awesome!! They gave me my favorite seat on the NW 744's, 12A. I was actually hoping or 12K to be on the opposite side of the sun during the flight, but 12JK were already taken by a deadheading 757 crew.

Gate podium at A56 for our flight to NRT

Boarding did begin a bit late but the agents were able to close the flight on time and get us out a few minutes early.

Looking across the cabin, sorry for the glare

Looking forward from 12AB toward door 1L

View over the wing from 12K

View over the wing from 12A

I was pretty excited when I saw that I was going to have 12AB to myself for the flight. Really nice to be able to spread out for the long haul!! Having flown a ton of times previously on NW 744's, it was a bit weird to look out over the wing and see the Delta blue engine cowlings. Guess I better get used to it though.

Widebody lineup in DTW. A332, A333, 744, 744, A333, 772LR, 764

Taxi out to runway 22L, flaps 20 for takeoff. I didn't get the dispatched final fuel weight but I knew our fuel load was north of 300,000#

Turning right to an approximate heading of 020. Interesting we took an initial north-east heading for a transpacific flight.

Having looked at our dispatch release before the flight, I knew we were dispatched on the Trans-Polar "Russian Route", so I was looking forward to getting a few pictures over the north pole at twilight, taken from "The Queen". Was definitely looking forward to this flight!! Big grin

Initial level-off at FL320. We would eventually climb to FL400 after stab tank and center tank burnoff.

Initial heading out of DTW on the trans-polar "Russian Route" dispatch

Globe view of our route. The route it displays is inaccurate of our actual routing, going over the north pole and down over Russia, flying into Japan from the north-west

Soup, salad, and appetizer - my favorite part of DL's meal services.

I normally order the chicken for my entree but instead decided on getting the fish - Mahi Mahi. Was very good!!

I had seen it before already, but I watched "Terminator: Salvation" over dinner. Christian Bale is definitely more kickass as Batman instead of John Conner.

Ice cream sundae dessert. I told the FA to go crazy with the warm nuts, she pulled through for me  Silly

I had one final quick look out the window before hitting the sack for the next 7 to 8 hours.

The Pratt & Whitney PW4056. I've done 22x TransPac crossings on their wings.

I did briefly wake up mid-flight to get a picture of us flying near the north pole. It was an oddly serene moment - not a sound on board the airplane, just really the sound of the engines humming in the background, looking down on the total desolation of the Arctic 40,000 feet below.

North pole at twilight

A more accurate map of our routing. About 9 hours into the 12.5 hour flight.

A bit chilly outside  cold 

The FA's started the arrival meal service about 1.5 hours out from NRT. DL now offers both a breakfast and a lunch option. I was hoping to get the lunch cold-plate but they were out when they got to me, so I had the french toast breakfast instead.

Breakfast service. Not bad french toast, for being on a plane.

Landfall. Northern coast of Japan below.

Upon landing, I was shocked when I heard the FA's PA. "Ladies and gentlemen, welcome to Tokyo-Narita. The local time is 3:15pm, we are one hour early."

The Queen, ship 6301 (N661US), in NRT after arriving 60 minutes early from DTW

Despite my remarkably short time in NRT, I had a good time as always, showing my work buddy around the town.

Watching sumo wrestling in the smallest hotel room I've ever stayed in  laughing 

Popular crew hangout in NRT - Jet Lag Club

24 November 2009
NW302, NRT-LAX
Block Time: 09 hours, 40 minutes
747-451, N663US, Ship# 6303
Seat: 12A, main deck BusinessElite

Load Factor-
Business: 50%
Coach: 90%

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © David James Clelford [Airplane-Pictures]

After only one night in NRT it was time to head home. Given how it was the Tuesday before Thanksgiving, the domestic loads were especially tight. Loads out of LAX weren't too bad though, so I listed for NW302 on NRT-LAX.

The Queen (6301) arriving from MNL, and my plane (ship# 6303 / N663US) to LAX, just arriving inbound from HNL before being pushed to remote parking to make room for an inbound A332.

6301 being pulled into the gate in the alley. It was turning outbound on DL800 to ATL.

Since we got to the airport really early, my buddy and I spent quite awhile up on the observation deck of Terminal 1 before going down to clear outbound customs and passport control.

Ship 6303 (N663US) for my flight to LAX being towed back to the gate from remote parking. NW/DL 75A in the background in remote parking.

There was quite a long nonrev list for the flight to LAX but I was #1, luckily. I waited to hear my name called for seat assignment.... which was never made. I eventually went up to the podium where they, again, gave me my favorite seat of 12A. Big grin

Not even close to the size of the GE90-110B's but still an impressively large engine.

When I was waiting in the gate area, I was surprised to see four pilots walk up with the crew. I remembered that during the fall with peak-intensity jetstream winds, the westbound LAX-NRT is blocked just over 12 hours (currently at 12:05), which puts it into a full double-crew on blocktime. Makes it nice for the pilots though, flying 1/2 instead of 2/3.

Again, I was excited to see that I'd get 12AB to myself for the flight back home across the ocean. I'm pretty sure 12AB and 12JK are considered undesirable seats and it's rare the elite FF folks book them. Lucky for me at least, it's my favorite place on the plane!

Climbout from Tokyo-Narita to initial level-off of FL340.

Seasonally strong jetstream winds pushing us eventually to a Mach 1 groundspeed.

Route for our flight back home... Mid-Pacific routing.

Just after takeoff, the Captain made a PA for the FA's to remain seated as the aircraft ahead of us had reported continuous light with occasional moderate turbulence on the departure out of NRT. It wasn't bad, but it was a fun ride!!

Slightly different view of the winglet and engine from my flight over Big grin

Having loved the fish on the flight over I was going to get that again for the flight home, but they were out of the fish option when they got to me so I just ordered my standard chicken entree instead. It wasn't the best I've ever tried, but no complaints really.

Soup, salad, bread, and appetizer

Chicken entree. Pretty good but nothing to write home about. I think I liked the green beans the best, they had this light italian dressing on them.

After dinner, I fell asleep for the rest of the flight. I think that's the hardest I've ever slept on a plane, sleeping clear through the breakfast service and everything, being woken up only by the Captain's PA of flying over SFO and will being our descent into LAX shortly.

Mid-Pacific route dispatch.

Sunrise over the coast of California, San Francisco off the left wing.

Landing in LAX was beautiful - bravo to whoever was at the wheel at the time!! I was happy to see we had arrived 25 minutes early at 740a local... until the FA's made a PA saying that customs does not open until 800a local, so we'll all have to stay on board the aircraft for the next 20 minutes until CBP opens.

I cleared customs pretty quickly, only 12 or 13 minutes. I had quite the fiasco getting home though, eventually making it back on a couple of UAX flights, and yet another GD CR2.  irked 

I did, however, capture this in LAX that caught my attention:

787-8 parking lines at the gate

Well, that's about all I've got for now. Until next time, hopefully bound for JNB or DKR!!

Thanks in advance for all responses!!

stratosphere

RE: DL 747-400 BusinessElite, Detroit To Tokyo (pics)

Fri Nov 27, 2009 4:13 am

I have to say I am envious. I worked for NW for 17 yrs and have never taken the trips you have .. My bad. Nice to see someone takes advantage of the bennies...Nice trip report as as usual.

atrude777

Fri Nov 27, 2009 4:49 am

Great report of a usual trans pac 747 flight across the world  Wink

Sorry WN didn't work as usual, but as I said, I never expect you to actually TAKE them :-P

Pictures were great and the usual too!

Alex
Good things come to those who wait, better things come to those who go AFTER it!

SXDFC

Fri Nov 27, 2009 5:41 am

Great TR! Glad to see you at least got one "red tail" in your trip!! It seemed as if in the beginning your 744 was feeling a bit blue  Wink

directorguy

Fri Nov 27, 2009 6:37 am

Awesome TR....the 747 never loses her elegance, majesty and stature. Glad that you had such a nice TR, it was definately worth it. And thanks for sharing yet another memorable experience with us.
Happy Thanksgiving,
DG

CrimsonNL

Fri Nov 27, 2009 12:08 pm

Great TR, Matt! Though my choice would definitely be an upperdeck seat, the pictures of the wing look awesome!

Thanks for sharing,

Martijn
Always comparing your flown types list with mine

rolypolyman

Fri Nov 27, 2009 12:35 pm

Great report... I especially appreciate the shots over the arctic... four days ago, too, since I am doing some forecast studies of arctic air. It's interesting to see what it looks like there from the air in winter. Also ironic that you were having ice cream with -75F outside.

RP

shamrock321

Fri Nov 27, 2009 1:16 pm

Good report and pictures, the DL long haul product looks quite decent.

DFW13L

Fri Nov 27, 2009 8:46 pm

Cool trip Matt! I'd really like to do the far north Arctic crossing sometime. Great pics and all. I was about to comment that UA's food looks to be improving but remembered this was DL/NW.  Wink

Have you ever tried going to Europe?

I enjoyed those shots of the wings (and two different colored engines), but also liked the DTW lineup.

Sorry Eagle didn't work out for you at LAX! You do know about the employee line at security, right?
See, I knew American Eagle was first class all along!

HOOB747

Fri Nov 27, 2009 9:43 pm

Quoting Transpac787 (Thread starter):
To my huge excitement though, I saw that NW341 was going to be operated with ship 6301 instead - the first 747-400 ever in commercial service, delivered in 1989. NW crews call her "Queen of the Fleet", or just more simply "The Queen".

Beautiful nickname, and so nice to be able to fly the initial -400 in passenger service! I think little details like that are pretty cool.

I didn't get the dispatched final fuel weight but I knew our fuel load was north of 300,000#

Thanks, I always wondered how much fuel they loaded on those long-haul routes. Amazing.

Breakfast service. Not bad french toast, for being on a plane.

I know I am in the minority, but I like airline food!

Again, I was excited to see that I'd get 12AB to myself for the flight back home across the ocean. I'm pretty sure 12AB and 12JK are considered undesirable seats and it's rare the elite FF folks book them. Lucky for me at least, it's my favorite place on the plane!

Is there a reason this seat is so good for your tastes? Just curious.

Perfect trip report, thanks for the effort. Your photos were varied, illuminating and top-notch quality. Thanks for letting me ride Delta to Japan with you. I will fly there in a few months on UA, 744 out of ORD. Love me those beautiful heavies.
I love dem planes....

deltal1011man

Fri Nov 27, 2009 9:50 pm

Looks like fun. What gate was the 787 line at? it also looks like a gate for 753 with winglets. (please be at T5.)

premobrimo

Fri Nov 27, 2009 11:46 pm

I just did a trip very similar with some buddies from work. We did the JFK-NRT and then went through PDX on the way back. The 20 hours spent in Tokyo was not enough time, gotta head back there soon. I'll have to start doing trip reports now.
Now You're Flying Smart.

ba319-131

Sat Nov 28, 2009 12:57 am

Thanks, always enjoy reading your crazy trips, always good fun!

I've gotta say those mains don't look inspiting at all, hope they tasted better than they look!

Cheers

Mark
111 732 733 734 735 736 73G 738 739,7M8 BBJ 741 742 743 744 752 753 762 763 764 772 77L 773 77W L15 D10 D30 D40 AB3 AB6 312 313 318 319 320 20N 321 21N 332 333 342 343 345 346 359 351 388 CS1 CS3 I86 154 SSJ CRJ CR7 CR9 CRK 145 170 175 220

Transpac787
Topic Author

RE: DL 747-400 BusinessElite, Detroit To Tokyo (pi

Sat Nov 28, 2009 5:30 am

Quoting Stratosphere (Reply 1):
Nice to see someone takes advantage of the bennies...Nice trip report as as usual.

Haha I try. And thanks!!

Quoting Atrude777 (Reply 2):
Sorry WN didn't work as usual, but as I said, I never expect you to actually TAKE them

Ughhh... if I actually got the passes in time, I SOOO would have taken them. God how I would have taken a 73G over a pair of CR2's!!

Quoting SXDFC (Reply 3):
Glad to see you at least got one "red tail" in your trip!!

I know, I was pretty happy. I was on 6303 once before, almost exactly a year ago (NOV08) but good to get one redtail bird too.

Quoting Directorguy (Reply 4):
Awesome TR....the 747 never loses her elegance, majesty and stature.

That's for sure, it's a fine looking plane.

Quoting CrimsonNL (Reply 5):
Though my choice would definitely be an upperdeck seat,

I've done my share of upperdeck but I do tend to prefer the main deck for the better picture angles.

Let me know next time you're in the US and I'll get you a ride upstairs on one  Wink

Quoting Rolypolyman (Reply 6):
especially appreciate the shots over the arctic...

Thanks. It was really cool to look out the window for awhile over the arctic. Like I said, it was dead silent in the plane, so it was cool to just see the PW4056's humming along in the -75F temperatures outside, thinking of the hugely unforgiving landscape down below.

Quoting DFW13L (Reply 8):
Have you ever tried going to Europe?

Occasionally, when the flights to Asia are full  Wink

Sorry Eagle didn't work out for you at LAX!

I know!! I was really looking forward to the LAX-SAN, I love the approach into SAN.

You do know about the employee line at security, right?

*narrows eyes* No, I did not know about it!!  irked 

Where is it??

Quoting HOOB747 (Reply 9):
Thanks, I always wondered how much fuel they loaded on those long-haul routes. Amazing.

Max fuel load on a 747-451 is 383,000#. Good for about 16 to 16.5 hours plus reserves.

Quoting HOOB747 (Reply 9):
Is there a reason this seat is so good for your tastes?

It's the furthest-aft row in the main deck J-cabin. IMO, it offers the best view over the wing and engines.

Quoting DeltaL1011man (Reply 10):
it also looks like a gate for 753 with winglets.

I noticed that too!! God I hope NW/DL get winglets on the 757-300's also, like CO!!

Quoting PremoBrimo (Reply 11):
We did the JFK-NRT and then went through PDX on the way back.

I was really tempted to do NRT-PDX on the way home simply for the novelty of taking a 767-300 on a Transpac route, but really just couldn't pass up taking a 744 when it came down to it  Silly

Quoting BA319-131 (Reply 12):
I've gotta say those mains don't look inspiting at all, hope they tasted better than they look!

They weren't bad but were nothing really to brag about.

My personal favorite part of the DL service is always the soup & salad.

xjramper

Sat Nov 28, 2009 9:18 am

I hear ya on the doing trips while you can and for that matter taking advantage of them.

I am currently sitting in the Skyteam lounge in LHR's T4, just enjoying a quick turn as seats were open all the way around.

So why the loss of the bene's?

Either way, fantastic report as usual. I *may* write up a report on the DL764 with the new layflat seats if i find the time.

xjr
Look ma' no hands!

N104UA

Sat Nov 28, 2009 4:47 pm

Great TR as always, and I do agree I was at DTW yesterday that it is a really nice airport.
"Learn the rules, so you know how to break them properly." -H.H. The Dalai Lama

beeweel15

Sat Nov 28, 2009 7:32 pm

Watching sumo wrestling in the smallest hotel room I've ever stayed in laughing

Where was that could you give me the name

The777Man

Sat Nov 28, 2009 10:25 pm

Very nice report!

Too bad you are losing some benefits......You may just have to do with flying in F on UA transpacific, something DL doesn't have.....

At which gate did you see the line with 787-8 (along with DC-90-30) ? This was at LAX ?

Interesting that you prefer row 12 which is so far back. I would much prefer something in the nose like row 3 or 4.

The777Man
Boeing 777s flown: UA, TG, KE, BA, CX, NH, JD, JL, CZ, SQ, EK, NG, CO, AF, SV, KU, DL, AA, MH, OZ, CA, MS, SU, LY, RG, PE, AZ, KL, VN, PK, EY, NZ, AM, BR, AC, DT, UU, OS, AI, 9W, KQ, QR, VA, JJ, ET, TK, PR, BG, T5, CI, MU and LX.. Further to fly.. LH 777

tommy767

Sat Nov 28, 2009 11:15 pm

Great report! I should start flying though DTW as it looks like such an amazing airport. Also the initial salad course that was served out of DTW was roughly the same presentation that I had on wednesday from LAX-JFK in delta businesselite. I saved my red plastic widget salt/pepper shaker as a novelty of the flight  Smile
"KEEP CLIMBING" -- DELTA

stratosphere

Sun Nov 29, 2009 12:12 am

Quoting Transpac787 (Reply 13):
I know, I was pretty happy. I was on 6303 once before, almost exactly a year ago (NOV08) but good to get one redtail bird too.

I flew on 6303 when NW first got it and it had the NW Orient paint job with the blue stripe before it became the 'bowling shoe" colors. It was doing the initial training runs between MSP-PHX. Don't have the mileage you have but I did get to fly ONE time on each model of NW 747. I had flown on 6601 747-100 from HNL-MSP you can still see the nose if you get to Wash DC. and I can't remember the ship # of the -200 I was on.

sw733

Sun Nov 29, 2009 9:47 pm

As much as I avoid flying their 744's due to the lack of PTV (yeah, I'm picky, sue me, I don't sleep well on planes), the DL paint job sure looks nice on them. Saw it in person in ATL a few weeks back landing from DTW and smiled a bit.

hopefully bound for JNB or DKR!!

JNB is not that great, I'd hate to say. CPT is much better. DKR is pretty neat, I would take it over JNB unless you plan to also visit somewhere else in South Africa.

stratosphere

Mon Nov 30, 2009 12:52 am

Quoting XJRamper (Reply 14):
So why the loss of the bene's?

I am going to take a shot in the dark and say he has been a depandant of his parents who both work for airlines Dad NW and his Mom AA? and has been able to travel on thier respective seniorities on both carriers and he has now reached his 23 birthday and lost his dependant status. But as I said hey more power to him he has definately been to the far reaches of the world.

modesto2

Mon Nov 30, 2009 1:50 am

Quoting SW733 (Reply 20):
CPT is much better.

I loved CPT! What a fantastic vacation and rather interesting jumpseat experience LAX-ATL-DKR-CPT. Too bad DL dropped CPT, but I'm certainly glad I visited while I had the chance.

Transpac787
Topic Author

Mon Nov 30, 2009 2:59 am

Quoting XJRamper (Reply 14):
I am currently sitting in the Skyteam lounge in LHR's T4, just enjoying a quick turn as seats were open all the way around.

Awesome!! I thought about doing that myself, as the loads have been quite open. LHR is just so dang expensive, like $180 in tax or some such.

Quoting N104UA (Reply 15):
Great TR as always, and I do agree I was at DTW yesterday that it is a really nice airport.

Small world!!

Quoting Beeweel15 (Reply 16):
Where was that could you give me the name

Narita U-City Hotel. Actually a very nice place, I've stayed there twice now and will definitely continue to. The price is right, just the rooms are *very* small. But I don't complain, you get what you pay for!!

Quoting The777Man (Reply 17):
You may just have to do with flying in F on UA transpacific, something DL doesn't have.....

I know, right! Actually when I fly UA, I always list for J instead of F. I'm pretty cheap like that  Silly

Quoting The777Man (Reply 17):
I would much prefer something in the nose like row 3 or 4.

You as well as like 90% of the other people that fly J-class on the NW 744. The nose and upper deck are usually full, while the aft main deck is a ghost town. Lucky for me, it's my favorite place to sit!!

Quoting Tommy767 (Reply 18):
I saved my red plastic widget salt/pepper shaker as a novelty of the flight

It seems quite the collectible item. Another a.nut asked me to swipe it for him too, haha

Quoting Stratosphere (Reply 19):
I flew on 6303 when NW first got it and it had the NW Orient paint job with the blue stripe before it became the 'bowling shoe" colors

That's awesome, I wish I was around back in the day when the 744 was brand new.

Quoting Stratosphere (Reply 19):
I had flown on 6601 747-100 from HNL-MSP you can still see the nose if you get to Wash DC.

Wow very lucky. And I have seen it in the Smithsonian... I got a bit of a chuckle when I saw that the FA uniform they have in the museum was actually the current (at the time) uniform for NW FA's.

Quoting SW733 (Reply 20):
DKR is pretty neat, I would take it over JNB unless you plan to also visit somewhere else in South Africa.

I'm leaning towards JNB if possible given the *huge* distance/duration of those flights, and on the 772LR. DKR is also quite expensive on the taxes, similar to LHR.

Quoting Stratosphere (Reply 21):
I am going to take a shot in the dark and say he has been a depandant of his parents who both work for airlines Dad NW and his Mom AA?

Nailed it. Plus I personally work for OO so I get UA on top of the NW/DL and AA.

and has been able to travel on thier respective seniorities on both carriers and he has now reached his 23 birthday and lost his dependant status.

Nailed it again.  cry 

But as I said hey more power to him he has definately been to the far reaches of the world.

Haha thanks  bigthumbsup 

Quoting Modesto2 (Reply 22):
. Too bad DL dropped CPT,

I know!!  irked 

I only hear raves about CPT. Conversely, I hear hot & cold reviews of JNB.

crosswinds21

Mon Nov 30, 2009 5:06 am

Great report. I have read several of your TRs to NRT and enjoyed them all. Funny thing - I went to Tokyo as well the week before Thanksgiving, but on AA (will be writing a TR report on that within the next few days). I flew back NRT-JFK also on 11/24/09 so it looks like were both there at NRT at around the same time - small world.

What was that "tiny" hotel that you stayed at? Was it in Tokyo or by the airport?

Transpac787
Topic Author

Wed Dec 02, 2009 2:20 am

Quoting Crosswinds21 (Reply 24):
Funny thing - I went to Tokyo as well the week before Thanksgiving, but on AA (will be writing a TR report on that within the next few days). I flew back NRT-JFK also on 11/24/09 so it looks like were both there at NRT at around the same time - small world.

Definitely a small world!! I've only ever been in NRT Terminal 2 once though, on a NRT-DFW flight of AA's. The one time I flew NRT-JFK was on DL... ended up getting in 3 hours late - should have taken AA anyway, they arrived 2 minutes late, haha.

Quoting Crosswinds21 (Reply 24):
What was that "tiny" hotel that you stayed at? Was it in Tokyo or by the airport?

Out in Narita downtown, the Narita U-City Hotel. Definitely like the place. Nice building, clean rooms, just very small rooms!! Free internet, free airport shuttle... nice place.

Evan767

RE: DL 747-400 BusinessElite, Detroit To Tokyo (pi

Thu Dec 03, 2009 1:31 am

Quoting Transpac787 (Reply 23):
I only hear raves about CPT. Conversely, I hear hot & cold reviews of JNB.

I did ATL-DKR-JNB back when it was a 763 and then ID95'd it to CPT. I believe it cost $33 roundtrip JNB-CPT, and it was very easy. I highly recommend doing this as Cape Town is so much more interesting and beautiful than Johannesburg.

What terminal did you park at in LAX? Was it T5 where CBP didn't open until 8AM?
The proper term is "on final" not "on finals" bud...

xjramper

Thu Dec 03, 2009 4:21 am

Quoting Transpac787 (Reply 23):
Awesome!! I thought about doing that myself, as the loads have been quite open. LHR is just so dang expensive, like $180 in tax or some such.

Yeah I wanted to avoid the costs, especially after checking my tax history it was 139 (ouch). But hey, the way I look at it, its close to $7,000 for that r/t I just did. $139 ain't too shabby lol!

To be completely honest with you, I actually had no idea that I responded to this until a friend of mine who just browses anet told me. I would assume that would be due to a combination of sleep deprivation, alcohol, and a time change.

xjr
Look ma' no hands!

MSPNWA

Sat Dec 05, 2009 8:25 am

Wonderful TR, Matt! Those transpacs look and sound like a lot of fun.

I just have to mention though that ship 6303 was the first in service. 6301 has the title of first built 744. That would be my most-desired NW 744 lineup though. First out of the shop, first in the fleet! I believe 6303's winglets and cowlings are in the process of turning blue, though.  Sad Thankfully I have some good pictures of the NW colors in remembrance.

nwmke

Sat Dec 05, 2009 4:25 pm

Great trip report. I enjoyed reading it. It looked like you had fun and you slept well. Which is nice.
flying is all i love

Transpac787
Topic Author

Sun Dec 06, 2009 2:51 am

Quoting Evan767 (Reply 26):
ID95'd it to CPT.

Yea I think that's probably just as easy. Saves the headache of the DKR stopover.

Quoting Evan767 (Reply 26):
What terminal did you park at in LAX? Was it T5 where CBP didn't open until 8AM?

Parked at T6, had to walk underground to T5.

Quoting XJRamper (Reply 27):
But hey, the way I look at it, its close to $7,000 for that r/t I just did. $139 ain't too shabby lol!

I know, right. I won't give you too much hell for it, I did LHR-DEN last spring just to get the line on the FlightMem map  Big grin

Quoting MSPNWA (Reply 28):
. That would be my most-desired NW 744 lineup though.

Yea it was great. I had previously been on 6303 so that wasn't as big of a deal to me but finally getting on 6301 was huge!!

Quoting MSPNWA (Reply 28):
I believe 6303's winglets and cowlings are in the process of turning blue, though.

Incidentally, I was on the final revenue flight of 6303 as a redtail bird. When we arrived, I noticed 6313 sitting there in brand-new DL paint, having *just* been ferried over from VCV. Little did I know, 6313 was taking the outbound NW301 back to NRT while 6303 was being ferried to VCV. So, a bit of a gloating point for me, I got on the final redtail flight of 6303  Sad

richierich

Mon Jan 25, 2010 5:59 pm

View over the wing from 12A

I agree completely with you - I love looking out and seeing two huge jets hanging from the wing! I sat in this seat on a VS flight MCO-MAN a couple of years back. Given a choice, I'd pick it again! Another added benefit, despite the great view, is that it is close to the exit door. Being among the first out for customs and immigration can be key sometimes!

What a great TR! Tokyo is a long way to fly for just one night! It's really interesting to me to see how well NW and DL's operations have been integrated. Besides the identity issue on the livery and flight numbers, it appears that the airline has it together and their trans-Pacific product looked comparable to that of the competition. Also, one wonders how much longer the NW paint will be around - they are disappearing every time heavy maintenance is undertaken. It was nice to see the contrast of both liveries from essentially the same seat. Looks like you had one hell of an adventure!!! Thanks for sharing!
None shall pass!!!!

KDTWflyer

Fri May 06, 2011 6:04 am

Very nice TR! I really like trip reports that are about 747s and especially those from Detroit because DTW is my home base haha. Hopefully DL will keep the B744 around for awhile!