Topic Author

SYD-LHR-DUB With JAL J And EI

Thu Jan 07, 2010 5:51 am

SYD-NRT
Flight: JL 772
Plane: B 777-246ER
Rego: JA705J
Seat: 2A

After 10 years, work decided it was my turn to visit the Paris Boat Show. Normally my boss goes as we have clients and meetings, but this time he didn’t want to go. Initially it was going to be a quick trip as I had so much to do in Sydney in preparation for the Sydney Hobart yacht race, but when my girlfriend found out I was going she decided I should take some extra time off and see Ireland – and take her with me. As work paid an economy fare, I thought I would look at a J fare to upgrade to, and found a very good JAL companion fare. A bit risky with JAL financial position, but a good way to help me retain my QF Platinum status.

As the flight to NRT was a morning flight, we had to get up at our normal work time, which wasn’t so bad, and caught a cab to the airport. Checkin was pretty quick, and our bags checked all the way through to LHR, even though we had an overnight at NRT, paid for in the ticket price. Convenient in some ways, a nuisance in others as we had planned on having our bags at NRT.
Seeing as we had no shopping and bought books before hand, we went straight to the QF First Class lounge for some breakfast. As we were having breakfast the flight from NRT arrived and taxied to the gate

Our plane to NRT
Of course no lounge visit is complete without the prerequisite photos of plane movements!

VH-OQA arriving from LAX

VH-EBB

A6-EHF being towed to park until its afternoon departure

VH-QPH

Not something you see everyday, a BA departure in the morning, with 2 other BA 744s already parked

Like our last flight, we left the lounge a little on the late side, and walked straight onto the plane and made ourselves at home. When I checked the loadings the day before, it looked like it would be a full flight both in Y and J, and it was definitely the case at least in J.

Forward J cabin

EK A380 on its way to AKL

VH-OJO

As you would expect for a Japanese airline, pushback was right on time at 09:20, and we made our was to 34L. Nose cam was turned on and we had a good view forward.

The day was so clear, it made for some great photos as we made our way to NRT.

Virgin, SQ, and the 2 remaining BA 744s waiting for their afternoon departures

A380 vs 744ER

Homebush Stadium with a concert stage

Blue Mountains

As soon as we had levelled out we were handed our menus for the flight. The morning meal had a choice of Japanese or Western. We chose the Western meal of Fillet of Beef Steak. Seems rather strange for this time of morning but it was enjoyable anyway.

Fillet of Beef alongside Smoked Salmon with Prawn, Prosciutto with Melon

Dessert

After the meal, we relaxed in the comfortable but not too wide seats, and I started on my many books.
When we first sat down we both thought the seats were quite hard but soon got used to it, and found them very comfortable when in the layflat position. The only and major problem was the headsets. They were the same ones as used in economy. I was ok as I had my Bose headphones, but my girlfriend found them awful – not what you would expect in business class.

Airlie Beach

The rest of the trip was pretty uneventful, I didn’t watch any movies, preferring to read and look out the window to see the amazing sights that passed below

About 2 hours before arrival into NRT we were served a meal which seemed to be more in keeping with what I would have expected for our first meal, but it was tasty and I was hungry.

Afternoon meal

Arrival into NRT was 20 minutes early, and although we ended up at the far gates and a long wait for the train, we still made good time though customs and to the bus to the hotel.
As there was no same day connection to LHR, JAL put you up in their hotel for the night, room depends on the class you are travelling. Our room was pretty nice, but they didn’t have any overlooking the runway. Dinner and breakfast are also included in the fare, although I think breakfast only if you are travelling economy.

NRT-LHR
Flight: JL 401
Plane: B 777-346ER
Rego: JA734J
Seat: 10K

View from our hotel

With 2 flights to LHR I had figured I would rather take the later one and sleep in. Also it was 77W, and I wanted some more flights on this model. With the scheduled departure at 12:00, it gave us plenty of time to have breakfast, relax and head to the airport with no stress, and also to enjoy the JAL First Class lounge. While at the lounge I checked my e-mails and found I had a few urgent ones to attended to, which was a challenge with the keyboard, but more so because using webexchange, kept giving me errors which I couldn’t understand. Ended up solving it with a phone call to the office.

With 30 minutes to go, we made our way to the gate with the usual photos of the plane we were going to fly on today.

Our 77W for today

Boarding was on time, and by class and status, which was rigorously enforced by the gate agents. J was pretty full on this flight, including a family with 2 young kids. I wont get into that debate, but will say the flight could have been more pleasant and quieter.

77W J cabin

The usual Japanese send off

We pushed back a few minutes late but made our way promptly to the active for a quick takeoff. It seemed a very long time before the seatbelt sign was extinguished, maybe there is some Japanese regulation, but it was at least 30 minutes before we could move around the cabin.

Our hotel

Views on departure

Fresh Green Salad served with Dill Cream Dressing

Prosciutto & Meli-melo Vegetable Terrine with Tomato Consomme, Smoked Salmon Glazed with Lemon Olive Oil on Brioche Bread

Seared Tenderloin of Japanese Beef with herb Mustard Sauce

Unfortunately it was very cloudy over Japan, so we didn’t see anything more until we reached the Russian mainland. I started watching a Mr Bean movie, but lost interest very quickly and went back to reading a book.
Fortunately for me, the headphones on this leg were much better, and my girlfriend was much happier!

Views over Russia
Darkness came pretty quickly but still had some magnificent views – ah for a better camera to take advantage of some difficult photography conditions.
For me the rest of the trip was uneventful, having may helpings of some very nice and creamy icecream and reading my book. I had an hour or 2 sleep, but didn’t want too much so that I had a good sleep when we arrived in London and reduce any jetlag.
On JAL, they don’t seem to serve you a 2nd meal, you actually have to ask for it which I found strange, but as I wasn’t hungry I wasn’t too worried, must have been all the icecream during the flight. Service was very good and attentive, as soon as we had finished a bottle of water a new bottle appeared.

We started getting more light at the top of Scandinavia, but it was cloudy until just over England, and then it started getting dark again.

On descent into LHR

I have to say both landings on JAL have been some of the smoothest I have ever experienced, barely even noticed the wheels touching the ground – was the same for the flights back to.

We arrived a good 20 minutes early – again, which is nice, but my girlfriends sister had arranged for someone to pick us up an hour after scheduled arrival to allow time to get through customs etc. Of course we made our way through customs very quickly, even in the foreigners line – which I went through as my girlfriend has only an Australian passport, to be told by the agent that I could take my girlfriend through the EU line as I have an EU passport as well. Through and out into the arrivals hall before scheduled arrival, not bad.

The next day I flew out to Paris for my work commitments, but as there have been enough LHR-CDG-LHR trip reports, I won’t bore with the details except add this interesting rego below.

Had to laugh at this rego

LHR-DUB
Flight: EI 155
Plane: A 320
Rego: EI DVJ
Seat: 2J

The plan was for me to fly in from Paris and meet my girlfriend at T5 arrivals, she with the rest of my luggage, and we would take the train to T1. We only had 2 hours from my scheduled arrival until departure of the EI flight so it was going to be tight. My BA flight landed pretty much on time, at T5A, would have been earlier except for the 20 minute hold, and being in 1A I was able to make a very quick departure from the plane and through customs. My girlfriend was there waiting for me, and little anxious and annoyed with the driver that took her to the airport, not only was she overcharged, she specifically asked to be dropped off at arrivals, but the driver insisted that she was there, even though it was upper level and said departures!
Even with a 10 minute wait for the train, we made it easily to the EI counters to check in our luggage and go through security, and find our way to the gate via the rabbit warren that is T1.
Another nice day for taking photos, which of course I did.

Our ride

Push back was a little late, then we had a long taxi to 27L for our departure. Wasn’t a big load today, we had a spare seat next to us, which is always nice for my girlfriend. I am the window hog, so its always her who suffers when we get a smelly large bloke in our row.

Is UA taking over?

Clear day over UK

On descent into DUB

Wish I could write more about this flight, but it was very uneventful, and we landed in DUB pretty much on schedule, although our bags seemed to enjoy the flight a bit more and didn’t seem keen to leave the plane. After about 15 minutes they arrived, and we made our way to pick up our rental car and enjoy 6 days of driving around Ireland.

Next: The return flights….and if anyone is interested I might do a “trip report” on the Sydney Hobart race.

Cheers and thanks for reading

directorguy

RE: SYD-LHR-DUB With JAL J And EI

Thu Jan 07, 2010 7:05 am

Great TR, thanks for sharing =)
Flying through NRT was definately a wise choice-yes it involved some backtracking but they offer a very competitive product that is impressive. May I ask when this TR was done? The weather in London seems to be exemplary. Some truly memorable shots you got there.
I look forward to the return.
Regards,
DG

aznmadsci

Thu Jan 07, 2010 7:18 am

Beautiful pics! Please do share your return as well as the Sydney Hobart race!

It's been ages since I've gone through and spent the night at NRT, but did y'all stay at the Nikko Narita hotel? I remember that was one beautiful hotel back in the late 80s! How was your stay?
The journey of life is not based on the accomplishments, but the experience.

airbuseric

Thu Jan 07, 2010 9:10 am

Hi,
nice to read a JAL Seasons Executive report again.
If I am not mistaken, the SYD-NRT flight is JO772. This flight is operated by JAL, with JALways cabin crew. e.g. the catering is not really on par with the normal international standard of JAL. I found the catering on your flight a bit dissappointing to be honest.

Quoting QFFlyer (Thread starter):
On JAL, they don’t seem to serve you a 2nd meal, you actually have to ask for it which I found strange, but as I wasn’t hungry I wasn’t too worried, must have been all the icecream during the flight. Service was very good and attentive, as soon as we had finished a bottle of water a new bottle appeared.

What? No second meal on JL401?? That cannot be right from my first impression. If that is the new rule with JAL, it's no wonder that this airline is struggling more and more. Totally unacceptable in J-class, and their competitors do serve a second option.

At least, you must have been able to select a meal from the 'order on demand/snack' menu. It's instant food which is prepared for you on board, usually for in between the 2 meals. Didn't the crew offer this to you?

All together, good report and it shows good the current status on JAL's product. I've been the one who posted quite a few of these reports before of JAL/C-class, and was mostly not fully happy with service received. I made a few complaints to the airline, and some items has changed lately to the positive, but that is not seen your flight. Sorry for that!

btw, B777-300ER, a fantastic aircraft to fly on!

Regards,
Eric
"The whole world steps aside for the man who knows where he is going"

qfflyer
Topic Author

Thu Jan 07, 2010 9:38 am

Quoting Directorguy (Reply 1):
May I ask when this TR was done

We travelled in December, left London 12 hours before all the snow started!

Quoting Directorguy (Reply 1):
I remember that was one beautiful hotel back in the late 80s! How was your stay?

Stay was good, room was tidy, clean, well presented. Bed was comfortable and we slept well.
Restuarant was also good.

Quoting Airbuseric (Reply 3):
If I am not mistaken, the SYD-NRT flight is JO772

Correct, but sold to us as the JL code

I found the catering on your flight a bit dissappointing to be honest.

I didn't find it bad actually, beef before lunch is unusual, but I found all food very tasty.

What? No second meal on JL401??

Sorry I wasn't clear. There was "option" of 2nd meal, but you actually had to request it. If you didn't request it, you didn't get it. A bit strange when you are used to meals being handed out.

Cheers

Ryanair!!!

Thu Jan 07, 2010 10:02 am

OH MY... Nikko Narita! I stayed there twice when I flew SIN-NRT-HNL / SFO-NRT-SIN on JL and my god... the rooms are so TINY!!!!! Thanks for the flashback.
Welcome to my starry one world alliance, a team in the sky!

PlaneHunter

Thu Jan 07, 2010 11:14 am

Great report with excellent clear pictures! JL's product seems to be nice, especially the catering looks great.

EK A380 on its way to AKL

A380 vs 744ER

Nice shots!.

PH
Nothing's worse than flying the same reg twice!

laca773

Thu Jan 07, 2010 12:06 pm

Thank you for another TR. I hope you'll post your photos in the data base. You took some beautiful ones!!!

I do have to say JL's catering seemed a bit skimpy, but then again everyone seems to be cutting back. At least it was tasty for you!

ba319-131

Thu Jan 07, 2010 5:29 pm

Nice report and pitcures as always, thanks for sharing.

Food looks good all round, though I'm not keen on the '1 plate' service on the SYD-NRT sector.

JL would not be my choice of carrier, though price and alliance loyalty do tend to sway us in our choices.

Regards

Mark
111 732 733 734 735 736 73G 738 739,7M8 BBJ 741 742 743 744 752 753 762 763 764 772 77L 773 77W L15 D10 D30 D40 AB3 AB6 312 313 318 319 320 20N 321 21N 332 333 342 343 345 346 359 351 388 CS1 CS3 I86 154 SSJ CRJ CR7 CR9 CRK 145 170 175 220

ClassicLover

Thu Jan 07, 2010 7:42 pm

Really lovely report - and awesome pictures!

Nice to see some JAL Business Class pictures... I hope you went for Japanese food for the entire return journey  Smile

Look forward to reading the return - can't wait! Well done!
I do enjoy a spot of flying, especially when it's not in economy!

airbuseric

Thu Jan 07, 2010 8:39 pm

Quoting ClassicLover (Reply 9):
I hope you went for Japanese food for the entire return journey

I hope he did so too. Japanese meals on JAL are better indeed!
"The whole world steps aside for the man who knows where he is going"

Cathay Pacific

Fri Jan 08, 2010 1:06 pm

I am shocked to see what JL was serving on the SYD-NRT flt.

It looked more like a Prem Economy meal then business class.

I would like to see what is on the Japanese option (hopefully would be better then the western choice)

Nevertheless, great TR with some great pics.

Thanks for sharing with us  Smile
cathay pacific, now you're really flying

ORDnHKG

Fri Jan 08, 2010 2:02 pm

Quoting LACA773 (Reply 7):
I do have to say JL's catering seemed a bit skimpy, but then again everyone seems to be cutting back

But obviously JL is cutting back more than the others. Especially JO offering on NRT-SYD, it shouldn't be like that at all for the second meal base on the flight length. JL's competitor NH has a low cost subsidary NQ flying many intra asia routes including HNL. Even though they have NQ crew, but food in C and Y use the same standard as NH.

EI320

Fri Jan 08, 2010 2:42 pm

Great Report, the pics are fantastic, do you mind me asking what camera type you use?

qfflyer
Topic Author

Fri Jan 08, 2010 11:41 pm

Quoting EI320 (Reply 13):
Great Report, the pics are fantastic, do you mind me asking what camera type you use

Currently using Canon 350D with 24-105L lens - the lens is a beauty!

Cheers

BlatantEcho

Sat Jan 09, 2010 12:10 am

any pictures from the boat show?

Flightsimboy

Sat Jan 09, 2010 4:04 am

Great trip report. Looks like you had fabulous weather departing Sydney! Too bad you were not on the star board side of the aircraft, you would have got some amazing views of the Sydney skyline.

That's an interesting photo

LAX772LR - "Answer to goofy question:" in response to my question about the B737-MAX8 being grounded. 48 hours later all B737-MAX8 grounded worldwide. Go figure!!

a1ring23

Mon Jan 11, 2010 4:58 pm

Great report, nice shots to accompany the text.

The rest of the trip was pretty uneventful, I didn’t watch any movies, preferring to read and look out the window to see the amazing sights that passed below

Would have done the same, amazing scenery!

but it was at least 30 minutes before we could move around the cabin.

Maybe the pilot opted for a very very slow climb-out?  Wink

ah for a better camera to take advantage of some difficult photography conditions.

Your shots aren't bad, what camera are you using?

Regards,
Pete
Where's the accelerometer on this thing?

tonystan

Sat Jan 16, 2010 1:03 pm

I notice you accidently had a British Airway Club Europe meal in that album! LOL!
My views are my own and do not reflect any other person or organisation.

JL418

Sat Jan 16, 2010 1:58 pm

Hi QFF, congratulations from a newbie! reading was smooth and absolutely pleasant, and really entertaining. Pictures were the absolute plus clear and well made. glad to see clear windows, a good camera and a brigh photographer!

The shots over Siberia made me fall in love with that part of the world again, I've been on quite the same route you've been doing and I'd love, once, to visit.

Quoting Flightsimboy (Reply 16):

I guess this is the area north of Vladivostok and west of Khabarovsk, isn't it?

Avianca

Sun Jan 17, 2010 2:51 am

great report!

have to say that food on SYD-NRT seems good but not adequate for J!
Colombia es el Mundo Y el Mundo es Colombia