Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

eccc
Topic Author

Qantas Business Class FRA-SIN-SYD

Wed Feb 17, 2010 9:35 pm

Well this is about my flight on QF6 from Frankfurt to Sydney via Singapore in mid-December 09, after travelling on BA in Club Europe from LHR – that flight gets a comment in a separate report:

BA J LHR To FRA & SYD-BKK - LHR - Eye Opener (by eccc Feb 17 2010 in Trip Reports)

Firstly, if you’re wondering what the author looks like!

http://i928.photobucket.com/albums/ad124/rrawlins-2009/Christmas%20in%20Oz%202009/098.jpg

After a disappointing first leg on BA¸ I had lost some enthusiasm for this flight, not helped by the fact that the BA check-in agent at LHR was unable to issue me my boarding pass for FRA-SYN, despite the fact that I was flying on a Qantas ticket, code-shared with BA for part of the way. She said it was problem with new systems etc. I’m not an anxious traveller in any way, but do like to have all my bits and pieces sorted out. Anyway, had to sort that one out once at Frankfurt. By the time I boarded QF6 for a 23h20 departure, I was feeling a bit fractious (and hungry!!). It was good, therefore, to be so warmly welcomed on board by the excellent QF cabin crew. The load factor on this leg of the flight was pretty light, so moved to a bulkhead window seat with no neighbour, so was able to spread myself out a bit.

Qantas Skybed seat pre departure

http://i928.photobucket.com/albums/ad124/rrawlins-2009/Christmas%20in%20Oz%202009/013.jpg

Plenty of legroom in bulkhead seats

http://i928.photobucket.com/albums/ad124/rrawlins-2009/Christmas%20in%20Oz%202009/015.jpg

The service on Qantas was very friendly and efficient, and the food was very good. Don’t want to bang about the return BA leg, as I think I made my point in my other trip report, but given that they are code-sharing, you’d think they could reach similar standards.

Delicious lamb dinner

http://i928.photobucket.com/albums/ad124/rrawlins-2009/Christmas%20in%20Oz%202009/016.jpg
http://i928.photobucket.com/albums/ad124/rrawlins-2009/Christmas%20in%20Oz%202009/017.jpg

...and cheese plate was ok.

http://i928.photobucket.com/albums/ad124/rrawlins-2009/Christmas%20in%20Oz%202009/018.jpg

I didn’t take a lot of pics in-flight, as most people on this site would have seen them all before. Also it was a night flight, so would have been annoying to fellow passengers.

Breakfast was ok, though the sausages had some weird cheese-like filling

http://i928.photobucket.com/albums/ad124/rrawlins-2009/Christmas%20in%20Oz%202009/019.jpg

RR engines on QF 744

http://i928.photobucket.com/albums/ad124/rrawlins-2009/Christmas%20in%20Oz%202009/022.jpg

A380 about to take off in Sydney.

http://i928.photobucket.com/albums/ad124/rrawlins-2009/Christmas%20in%20Oz%202009/150.jpg

I’m never sure about holiday pics in these reports, but for the benefit of those who have ummed and aahed about spending Christmas in the Southern Hemisphere – admittedly it was a bit weird to see Santa Clauses wondering around in the heat and listening to traditional carols being played in shopping centres and the streets – here’s a taste of what it’s like – highly recommend it! (Apart from the redback, which is probably best avoided, though strangely fascinating. Also the taipan that slid across a beachfront bar I was at near Cairns, though unfortunately didn’t have the camera with me then. There really are some nasty creatures in Oz, and my previous convictions that Australians are all very blasé about them were soon dispelled).

Ah, Clare Valley Riesling

http://i928.photobucket.com/albums/ad124/rrawlins-2009/Christmas%20in%20Oz%202009/099.jpg

So this is what December is like Down Under

http://i928.photobucket.com/albums/ad124/rrawlins-2009/Christmas%20in%20Oz%202009/100.jpg

Boxing Day on beach in Adelaide. Now I’m not a dog lover, but this little guy – friend’s dog – is very cute

http://i928.photobucket.com/albums/ad124/rrawlins-2009/Christmas%20in%20Oz%202009/051.jpg

...and this little guy - inches from my arm at lunch in the Clare Valley - wasn’t so cute

http://i928.photobucket.com/albums/ad124/rrawlins-2009/Christmas%20in%20Oz%202009/090.jpg

Could this scene be more Australian?

http://i928.photobucket.com/albums/ad124/rrawlins-2009/Christmas%20in%20Oz%202009/082.jpg

Conclusion: Having been rather spoiled – well very spoiled – by flying in First on Emirates last year, I was worried that the Qantas Business Class experience would not excite me anymore. However, once I stepped on board, the childish thrill of it all came back and I wasn’t disappointed. I was slightly surprised, however, to discover that they had scrapped First Class on this route and, apparently, many others – I think apart from LA & London, and of course the A380 routes - which, although probably very sensible, is a little sad. Given that they’re doing this, I do hope, however, that they will replace the current Skybeds with the new generation fully flat seats, as the padding on the seats I was in does seem to be wearing a bit thin, and the angled seats don’t give as good a sleep as Virgin’s Upper Class seats of BA’s Club World seats (see, I’m not totally anti-BA, although I do think I made that clear in my other report too).

Anyway, unless those nice people at Barclaycard decide to clear my account, or if the even nicer people at Lottery HQ see sense and pick my numbers – just once is all I’m asking – I suspect that this will be my last report for a while, so hope you enjoyed it.

[Edited 2010-02-17 13:46:49]

ClassicLover

RE: Qantas Business Class FRA-SIN-SYD

Wed Feb 17, 2010 10:39 pm

Nice report, seems the food is still awesome  

Kent350787

Wed Feb 17, 2010 11:09 pm

Quoting eccc (Thread starter):
Ah, Clare Valley Riesling

Watervale, or Clare in general? There's little better on a warm day. And which winery is the first shot at? It looks very familiar.

I'm shocked at the difference between your QF and BA experiences. QF regularly cops a bagging for its inconsistency, but seems very good here.

Kent

eccc
Topic Author

Wed Feb 17, 2010 11:21 pm

Quoting Kent350787 (Reply 2):
Watervale, or Clare in general? There's little better on a warm day. And which winery is the first shot at? It looks very familiar.

Hi Kent, I'm afraid I don't recall which winery that was, but it was a bit off the main road - I seem to recall it had quite a long name, possibly. There was certainly a restaurant there, and it was in a valley, and there was a sort of windmill in the vineyard. None of that is probably very helpful. Will try to find out where it was exactly. Was certainly very beautiful.

And, yes, Qantas came up trumps this time.

Kent350787

Thu Feb 18, 2010 1:24 am

Quoting eccc (Reply 3):
I'm afraid I don't recall which winery that was,

Found it - Skillogalee! Nice spot, although I haven't actually eaten there. Clare Valley, along with Eden Valley to the SE make the best Rieslings in Oz.

Kent

lukeyboy95

Thu Feb 18, 2010 1:50 am

Hi eccc.
Many thanks for these reports. I'll save commenting on the BA report by saying that those meals where laughably shocking and if BA half any sense they'll see this expose of woefully poor standards and be in contact soon. Although Skytrax is fine for a quick review, seeing a pictorial report of these low standards could be put alot of users of this site off... I noted on Skytrax that an Emirates customer who had a rant recently was contacted by the airline as a result and recieved compensation... so the airlines do keep tags on these things...

Firstly, if you’re wondering what the author looks like!

Good stuff.. I'm always a bit weary when the author is shrouded in mystery!

and cheese plate was ok.

but just ok by the looks

Now I’m not a dog lover, but this little guy – friend’s dog – is very cute

grumpy face its got

I suspect that this will be my last report for a while

we'll read economy too!

Thanks for the report. I've read a couple of these codeshares with BA/QF and this is one of the first whereby QF has put BA to shame and not vice versa.

Cheers again. Luke.

ewrkid

Thu Feb 18, 2010 4:23 am

Great Report and Nice pics! How were the loads on FRA-SIN-SYD? I always heard that it was a very good performer and a successful route for QF

StevePER

Thu Feb 18, 2010 1:12 pm

Nice report! But have they done anything with the Magpie and Stump or is it still the worst country pub you could possibly imagine?

eccc
Topic Author

Thu Feb 18, 2010 1:18 pm

Quoting StevePER (Reply 7):
Nice report! But have they done anything with the Magpie and Stump or is it still the worst country pub you could possibly imagine?

Well, didn't actually go in to the Magpie & Stump - was over the road at Reilly's havivng lunch. Just liked the look of the all-Australian scene.

Quoting EwRkId (Reply 6):
How were the loads on FRA-SIN-SYD?

Not really sure about loads. Certainly there were plenty of spare seats in the section of J that I was in on the FRA-SIN leg, but nose section and upper deck were, I believe full. J was completely full for the SIN-SYD leg.

Quoting Kent350787 (Reply 4):
Skillogalee!

Yep! that's the one - knew it was a name that I couldn't spell!

henkybaby

Thu Feb 18, 2010 2:05 pm

The food does indeed look miles better than BA and I have not been impressed with their crews the last year either. Still I prefer the BA hard product (and the consistent offering thereof across the fleet) to QF's and that is the reason I still prefer them.

Had a great time down under in December too. Hard not to...  

airnewzealand

Sun Feb 21, 2010 12:56 am

Hiya,

Firstly, great Trip report, always nice to read one on Qantas.

and cheese plate was ok.

This is not the normal cheeseplate served for supper service. This is the snack cheese plate. There may of been a problem with catering in FRA and as we usually do at Qantas, the crew have been proactive and instead of saying there was no cheese, offered the snack menu cheese instead. Pity, the cheese plate is one of our strongest points (catering wise-always good and tasty  ) at QF i think.

That Breakfast looks abit sparse. You didnt go the full hog?? Also is that bread cooked?? It looks extemely white for toast...

Thanks again, Enjoy your next flights.

eccc
Topic Author

Sun Feb 21, 2010 11:04 am

Quoting airnewzealand (Reply 10):
This is not the normal cheeseplate served for supper service. This is the snack cheese plate. There may of been a problem with catering in FRA and as we usually do at Qantas, the crew have been proactive and instead of saying there was no cheese, offered the snack menu cheese instead. Pity, the cheese plate is one of our strongest points (catering wise-always good and tasty ) at QF i think.

Hi, thanks for reading and replying. The cheese plate was a bit on the mean side, but it served my needs -

Quoting airnewzealand (Reply 10):
That Breakfast looks abit sparse. You didnt go the full hog?? Also is that bread cooked?? It looks extemely white for toast...

I requested the full cooked breakfast, and that's what I got - don't still have the menu, so don't recall if anything else was offered. And yes, the toast was a bit underdone!

nethkt

Mon Feb 22, 2010 5:33 am

Thanks for sharing!
Always nice to see a trip report from the good old 747-400!!
Would love to see the amenity kit on QF, just wanna make sure what is the latest collection is like!  

I checked out the return leg on BA, the main course of each meal is definitely Y class product.
F/As could have removed the white-lame-economy-class-tray! It won't look much eco. food if they do so.

Why not stoping by Bangkok for 2-3 days? Or you are bored with Thailand already!?  

Thanks again,
nethkt