Ryanair!!!
Topic Author

RE: S'pore Gerr, You A Gate Way To Fry... To Adelaide

Fri Mar 05, 2010 11:01 pm

Hi all...

Quoting ycp81 (Reply 48):
Ever notice how SQ's continental breakfasts served in economy out of SIN has been the same for the past 10 years (maybe even 20?). 1 muffin, 1 dry roll, 2 grapes + 4 slices of papaya/pineapple/melon.

As much as breakfast is never the meal of attention, yes I do yawn and get heavy eyelids at the mention of "continental breakfast" not just on SQ, but on any other airline. I find bakery items very boring unless it is a savoury meat pie. Yes, you can probably tell from my size that I am a MEAT person.

Ahhhhhh... SQ772, yes I do miss your presence in my life. Just a hint of a bitchy banter sends me to the heavens...

Quoting SQ772 (Reply 49):
I would highly recommend that do so next time...you really should

Colour blindness is really a part of your life. I empathize.

Aw... Of course I don't slang like Teo. Have you forgotten that I do not belong to the same class that 80% of Singaporeans are in? Non-neighborhood school...remember?

Tsk tsk tsk... Self praise is no praise, dearie. No one really knows the truth but me, right?  
Gee...you know what?? I don't have to do IPPT anymore....sorry to burst your bubble.

Watch the saggy man-boobs now, you hear? Triumph does have some very good push up bras.

Did you say fused?????

Darling, you call THAT "unfused"? I am disappointed at how well you know me after what... 9 almost 10 years of friendship? I look forward to our next "boys" night out. I am sure SIN7 misses our dynamics as well. Especially when his routine seems to revolve around books these days, I am sure a little spice from our banter will liven up his sorry life.
Welcome to my starry one world alliance, a team in the sky!

PlaneHunter

Sat Mar 06, 2010 8:03 am

Hi Ryan,

excellent report with countless nice pictures, great Saturday morning entertainment. I recently took my first SQ flights again after a break of almost 13 years and I can confirm many of your observations.

Quoting Ryanair!!! (Thread starter):
The meal, lovely… What more can I say? The straight lined shapes of the containers efficiently used up the space around the tray leaving no wasted corners (unlike the strange shaped casseroles and bowls used on EK). The salad / appetizer pushed the boundaries of what I am used to. Terrine? I do not usually touch it but I have to say it went very well with the salad on this occasion. Succulent tender pieces of paprika cumin chicken thigh were the main star, well marinated (or “rubbed” as described in the menu) and cooked; vegetables were very flavourful retaining the natural flavours whilst nicely savoury. Making sure no one would starve to death foaming at their mouth from malnutrition, a cup of yogurt accompanied the meal topping it off with cheese and crackers. Again a noteworthy comparison has to be made with EK because the meal I had with them out of SIN was horrible although substantial.

While I found the food on my recent SQ flights excellent, I have to disagree about the optics. I find EK's bowls much nicer and the meals better presented in general.

While the sparkle of new technology is something to be gawked at, I felt the seats were really hard and not very comfortable to sit on.

I can only agree here. The new generation seats seem to be harder in general - I have noticed that on numerous carriers. Btw - I flew on 9V-SKI last week and the seats were still hard after seven months of revenue service.

PH
Nothing's worse than flying the same reg twice!

9v-svc

Sat Mar 06, 2010 12:32 pm

Great trip report Ryan, you look alike with your parents !

No doubt the A330 is the best in its class, its a good thing SQ gotten it now rather than years ago ! Looking at your trip report, I got to plan a trip on SQ's A330 to anywhere that they are flying ! I was thinking of flying to BKK after 10th July, guess after reading your trip report, I got to do it next month !!

I flew on SQ in Dec last year, to LHR on SKF, the food that I had was quite bad, chose beef and it turned out to be a mistake as the beef was tasteless and tough ! I gave up halfway, service on board was as quite good, but like you say they seem to be more of a bot than a human, hahaha.

Nevertheless, have a good one !

Charles
Airliners is the wings of my life.

Ryanair!!!
Topic Author

Mon Mar 08, 2010 5:48 am

Thanks for reading...

Quoting PlaneHunter (Reply 51):
While I found the food on my recent SQ flights excellent, I have to disagree about the optics. I find EK's bowls much nicer and the meals better presented in general.

I am not dismissing the fact that EK's Burj-bowls are not pleasing to the eye. Just that they weren't very practical to effectively use up the space on a meal tray.

This one...

Versus this one...

Compare the amount of unused space of EK's tray to SQ's.

Quoting PlaneHunter (Reply 51):
I flew on 9V-SKI last week and the seats were still hard after seven months of revenue service.

I seem to be the only one who hasn't got my ass on an A380. Even my colleagues who got sent to HK on a work trip got to fly on one. And what do I get to fly instead? On a Firefly ATR72 to Subang...

Quoting 9V-SVC (Reply 52):
No doubt the A330 is the best in its class, its a good thing SQ gotten it now rather than years ago ! Looking at your trip report, I got to plan a trip on SQ's A330 to anywhere that they are flying ! I was thinking of flying to BKK after 10th July, guess after reading your trip report, I got to do it next month !!

I cannot imagine if SQ really got the A330s in 1994 and they ended up with the smarties interior like MH. Yucks. Kebaya, techni-colour seat...      

Quoting 9V-SVC (Reply 52):
I flew on SQ in Dec last year, to LHR on SKF, the food that I had was quite bad, chose beef and it turned out to be a mistake as the beef was tasteless and tough !

Damn it, another one who has been on the A380! Grr... Anyway, the rule of thumb is to choose the Asian option. Apparently SATS has some really good chefs for that style of cooking, I was told. But honestly, I have never been disappointed by the western options because let's get real, Asian options are normally hawker-fare-tze-char type of food which I can get easily at a HDB block (for much less $$ and probably better tasting too). Why fly SQ to eat it?

chepos

Tue Mar 09, 2010 10:32 am

Ryanair!!!!
WOW great trip report, a very interesting and enjoyable read. Keep in em coming, can't wait to read your next trip report.

Regards,

Chepos
Fly the Flag!!!!

mandala499

Sun Mar 14, 2010 5:51 am

Quoting Ryanair!!! (Reply 23):
As of now, my dates set for JKT are 19-21 March.

I think we should meet up... an a.net Jakarta meet when you're here ! LOL... besides, it's been a long time mate! (And you too Thai345!!!)

Anyways, another yet extremely entertaining narrative that beats pictures by a thousand to one!!!!!!!

Mandala499
When losing situational awareness, pray Cumulus Granitus isn't nearby !

Ryanair!!!
Topic Author

Mon Mar 15, 2010 1:08 am

Hi all!

Quoting chepos (Reply 54):
WOW great trip report, a very interesting and enjoyable read. Keep in em coming, can't wait to read your next trip report.

Thank you Cheapos... You should really make your way to my part of the world now so you can experience these femm-bots for yourself. Hahahaha... beats a snarl on a US carrier!

Quoting mandala499 (Reply 55):
I think we should meet up... an a.net Jakarta meet when you're here ! LOL... besides, it's been a long time mate! (And you too Thai345!!!)

Hello Mandala... Yes looking at how often I am in Jakarta, especially so don't you think? hehehe... My flight leaves on Monday back to Singapore at 0630H. You think the a.netters would be interested in coffee at 0400H? Kidding... PM me for my mobile and we'll arrange something. If not this trip, I have another one coming up next month.

SOBHI51

Mon Mar 15, 2010 4:56 am

Funny, witty, sarquastic, parents acting as all parents do, great pictures. Oh it is Ryanair again.

Thak you Ryan for a beautiful report, was reading it in my office and my daughter came in and was surprised how loud i was laughing.

As for SQ girls hey take it easy on them, at least they are doing a great job. Try flying some other airlines you will be lucky if you get a smile. I remember once flying an Eastern European Airline few years ago and the F/A slapped a man face because he lighted a cig before the non smoking sign was still on.
Also my wife always accuses me of having a soft spot to Sibgaporean girls. I take the fifth now.

Hope your plans for a move to Aussie land will be realized soon.

Take care.
I am against any terrorist acts committed under the name of Islam

Ryanair!!!
Topic Author

Mon Mar 15, 2010 10:37 am

Salam Sobhi,

Quoting SOBHI51 (Reply 57):
Thak you Ryan for a beautiful report, was reading it in my office and my daughter came in and was surprised how loud i was laughing.

Thank you, you are too kind.

the F/A slapped a man face because he lighted a cig before the non smoking sign was still on.

No shit.. And you witnessed it?! Wow... Aeroflot? Czech OK?

Hope your plans for a move to Aussie land will be realized soon.

It has been delayed, sufficed to say I have moved on with other plans (my frequent Jakarta commute is a hint  ). But the application isn't rejected yet which is the annoying bit. It is still sitting there but not approved because of the economic crisis.

SOBHI51

Mon Mar 15, 2010 1:53 pm

Quoting Ryanair!!! (Reply 58):
No shit.. And you witnessed it?! Wow... Aeroflot? Czech OK?

Was flying BEY-CAI on Egyptair but the plane was a leased TU-154 and really it was so long ago i can not remember what airline it was. Also i remember from that flight they put sand bags on seats to keep the plane balanced. Did not feel secure on that flight at all.

Quoting Ryanair!!! (Reply 58):
I have moved on with other plans (my frequent Jakarta commute is a hint

Wish all the luck. You deserve the best.
I am against any terrorist acts committed under the name of Islam

a1ring23

Wed Mar 17, 2010 10:48 am

Ryan! Good to see you back in Oz...D7, EK and now SQ!

Travelling with my parents require a certain amount of patience

BAHAHA, unfortunately I know this all too well!!  
Thank god for the A380 delays, SQ now has a fleet of leased A330-300 to abuse before the arrival of the A350.

God, I love SQ's equipment.

unlike the strange shaped casseroles and bowls used on EK

But it is very artistic and chic, no?

You cannot get a decent sleep because the flight isn’t long enough

So so so true, even more so on PER-SIN or KUL. 5.5hrs, screws me over everytime.

Unfortunately, Adelaide is perhaps the only destination on SQ’s Australian network which doesn’t have a daytime service. Otherwise that would have been my preferred choice.

+1, don't understand why SQ doesn't operate twice-daily services to ADL like Perth (who does thrice-daily in summer IIRC?), surely loads can't be THAT low. How were the Y loads anyway?

Great pics as well, also of Adelaide, even though I'm not a big fan of that city  

What's next on the itinerary for you Mr Soh?

Regards,
Pete
Where's the accelerometer on this thing?

Ryanair!!!
Topic Author

Thu Mar 18, 2010 5:24 am

Quoting SOBHI51 (Reply 59):
Wish all the luck. You deserve the best.

Sobhi, you are too kind.

Quoting a1ring23 (Reply 60):
Ryan! Good to see you back in Oz...D7, EK and now SQ!

You also forgot MH, QF and GF. Heheheh... I have TR-ed them too to Australia.

+1, don't understand why SQ doesn't operate twice-daily services to ADL like Perth (who does thrice-daily in summer IIRC?), surely loads can't be THAT low. How were the Y loads anyway?

You must understand, Adelaide as a destination is pretty limited when it comes to international exposure unlike the rest of the "gateways". Adelaide also supports a largely domestic market and a good indication would be the trickle of international airlines which call at the airport compared to neighbouring Melbourne. At the last count, there was only SQ, MH, CX and NZ. Rumours are rife that GA is planning to add ADL when the 77W comes online so that would free up some more A332 (I am assuming this a/c type will be used), I guess. ADL was an A310 destination for SQ. After that a/c type was retired, the next best fit was the 777-200. No surprise the A330 got put on this route as soon as they became available!

QF has also sadly decided to largely ignore ADL as an international port of call leaving to the other carriers to pick up the pieces. At present they only fly SYD-ADL-SIN a measely 3 times a week. I am sure they feel money can be better made elsewhere.

Great pics as well, also of Adelaide, even though I'm not a big fan of that city

I agree Adelaide isn't everyone's cup of tea. I for one, take my time to savour every sip.  
What's next on the itinerary for you Mr Soh?

Stay tuned to find out! I have another trip coming up tomorrow!   

777way

Sat Apr 03, 2010 3:59 am

Singapore girl Jaoanese version by Pam Ann http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NCX6VqeZp-A&NR=1

Ryanair!!!
Topic Author

Mon Apr 05, 2010 12:30 am

Quoting 777way (Reply 62):
Singapore girl Jaoanese version by Pam Ann http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NCX6V...&NR=1

Heheheheheh... Yeah I have seen this one. She is actually "Lily" and she isn't Japanese. It is just another poke at a generic Chinese flight attendant and it is obvious Caroline Reid (aka Pam Ann) got the cue from someone Cantonese, judging by the accent. Hilarious!