757MDE
Topic Author

Part IV: Colombian Domestics, Avianca And EasyFly!

Tue Mar 30, 2010 5:36 am

Almost a year ago, I had to go to Thailand for work related things while first going through the US, for matters related to work as well.
I flew a lot in that period, and I am going to make a trip report of everything I flew divided in sections. This third section is going to be dedicated to the domestic flights I had within Colombia after the Thailand trip.
I hope you enjoy reading it as much as I enjoyed writing it!

This is part IV, the domestic flights within Colombia. This comes from parts I and II, and III the journey from Medellin, Colombia to Bangkok Thailand, the flights I had within Asia and the return from Bangkok to Medellin respectively, which are found here:
Part I: Colombia To Thailand (lots Of Pictures!) (by 757MDE Mar 3 2010 in Trip Reports)
Part II: Flights From BKK (FD, MH, LH Pictures!) (by 757MDE Mar 5 2010 in Trip Reports)
Part III: Thailand To Colombia (lots Of Pictures!) (by 757MDE Mar 12 2010 in Trip Reports)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Nineteenth flight

Medellin Olaya Herrera (SKMD/EOH) - Armenia El Eden (SKAR/AXM)
EasyFly 9061
BAe Jetstream 41 - HK-4503
Seat 5C window
0:30 flight time.

After the trip from Thailand, I was at home resting for some days but I had to be in Armenia, the capital of Quindio department (state) for some stuff.
I chose EasyFly because I had not flown them before, nor had I flown the J-41 and to "add insult to injury" they had the cheapest fare.

I arrived to Olaya Herrera airport, located in downtown Medellin and serving as regional Airport since Jose Maria Cordova intl Airport, in the outskirts, was put to service. Think of a Mariscal Sucre airport but smaller.
When I arrived I was told "the flight is a liiiiiiiiiiiiiiiittle bit delayed", I asked why and they said there was very bad weather in Quibdo and Apartado (other cities served by EasyFly), some Airplanes were not able to takeoff in the morning when they should and that had caused a knock off effect in the whole operation for the day. They didn't seem to be lying, so I just resigned and went to sit. The delay ended up being one hour.

I went to the waiting room and sat, EasyFly shares waiting room number 1 with Aerolinea de Antioquia (ADA) and there were two passengers complaning about ADA I don't know why, then they got closer to the EasyFly gate agent and shouted "I LOOOOVE EASYFLY!" while the ADA agents just looked. They were two kinda hippie senior citizens which amused me all the time while I waited for my delayed J-41.

Waiting Room number 1, Olaya Herrera

Niiiiiiiiiice boarding

Just boarding

We boarded and engines were started immediately, the Airplane had like 5 empty seats, we took off and continued towards Armenia, a very short flight of a little less than 30 minutes, we had two or three shakes but nothing to worry about. I liked the J-41 very much, sure, it's sort of noisy and doesn't have an overhead bin, but precisely, it's a regional turboprop. For the missions it performs I found it adequate and with good performance. I actually felt it was quieter than the Dash-8, or at least the ones I've tried onboard Aires, but a tad noisier than the Fokker 50, which has been the quietest turboprop I've had the pleasure to fly on so far.

Sit and ready

Holding short runway 02

Airborne

Climbing

Oil

Interior

Before descent they gave some juice and sooner than not we landed at Armenia, I had just got off the Airplane when it had the engines on again to depart! A very short turnaround (and more given the fact they were delayed to continue to Bogota)

The usual juice

Descent (I love the J-41 big props)

Just parked

Few minutes had passed and it was already on take off run!

Off to Bogotá

-----------------------------------------------------

Twentieth flight

Armenia El Eden (SKAR/AXM) - Medellin Olaya Herrera (SKMD/EOH)
EasyFly 9054
BAe Jetstream 41 - HK-4551
Seat 3A window

Some pictures of Armenia's traffic:

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Andres Ramirez
View Large View Medium

Photo © Andres Ramirez

View Large View Medium

Photo © Andres Ramirez
View Large View Medium

Photo © Andres Ramirez

View Large View Medium

Photo © Andres Ramirez
View Large View Medium

Photo © Andres Ramirez

I was done and it was time to return home, I checked in and this time around I remembered to ask for a window seat. Last time I was given one but not because I asked, I am so getting used to web check-in that when that option is not available I forget to ask for a window and some times I've had to go in the aisle or even the middle.

El Eden International Airport

View Large View Medium

Photo © Andres Ramirez

HK-4551 EasyFly and Sarpa hybrid arriving from Bogota

I waited for my Airplane to arrive, I was beginning to worry about a delay again, but then I remembered about EasyFly's very short turn around times. There was indeed a very slight delay of about 7 minutes, but that is an on time flight in my book. This time around the first officer was a woman.

The weather couldn't be better in AXM and we took off normally, my seat was window and aisle at the same time. I really like those kinds of seats, when I flew the ERJ-145 I had one of those as well and it was nice. In this J-41 though the rail that the seat is in was a little in the middle of the way, and could be a problem for people with biggish hand baggage (it wasn't a problem for me though).

Sit and ready

Airborne

Climbing

Cruise happened normally but when arriving to EOH weather began to worsen and some turbulence was present, when we landed it was raining. After we landed engines were turned off, the captain thanked us and it took us a while to get down since a senior lady had trouble descending the little stairs of the J-41 and the rain didn't make it easier.

Approaching EOH, weather was starting to turn ugly

Over the city

Short final

They gave us some umbrellas to walk to the terminal, and that was it. Service to the point, and this time without delays, I wouldn't have a problem to fly EasyFly again.

----------------------

Twenty-first flight

Medellín - Rionegro José María Córdova (SKRG/MDE) - Bogotá Eldorado (SKBO/BOG)
Avianca 9309
McDonnell-Douglas MD-83 - EI-CEQ (Juan Valdez special scheme)
Seat 22A window

I arrived to the Airport and went straight to the waiting room, since I had already web checked in and had only carry on luggage. The Airport was sort of messy since it's undergoing a huge renovation work, which hasn't come without its problems.

I chose this flight because I wanted to fly the MD-83 "one last time" (I flew it once more subsequently) since they are phasing them out in Colombia. At the time of writing this AeroRepublica has phased them out completely, and Avianca has only three operative. It was a better surprise when I saw I would fly EI-CEQ, or the Juan Valdez special scheme MD-83. Even more pleasant was that I finally had the chance to board a MD-83 from the ventral stairs in the back!

View Large View Medium

Photo © Andres Ramirez

When I arrived in the waiting room the Airplane was already in the gate, or parking space... since the gates are being changed and were inoperative the day of the flight, and even today are (hopefully not for too long). This flight was full, and there were 10 South Koreans on board which are always curious to the average Colombian when they begin to talk!

First sight after entering the waiting room

My airplane at the gate errr... parking space (foundations of what's going to be the new gate seen as well)

737 Airborne

Walking towards the ventral stairs to board from the back!

Tail

Sit and ready

We took off of runway 36 and climbed out like an arrow, we were soon in cruise, descent and the approach to Bogota. While we were taxiing after landing it was nice to see a LAS Cargo 727 with MD-80 engines.

Airborne

Climbing

Cruise

Approaching Bogota

Braking after landing

727 with MD-80 engines!

Engines off

View Large View Medium

Photo © Andres Ramirez

----------------------------

Twenty-second flight

Bogota Eldorado (SKBO/BOG) - Medellín - Rionegro José María Córdova (SKRG/MDE)
Avianca 9312
Airbus A320 N980AV
Seat 22A window

For the return I chose an A320 flight, I wanted to see the new Avianca IFE and see how the new A320s were, since they're going to be the new MD-83 for years to come.

Approaching my airplane

As with the incoming flight, I did web check in and walked straight to the waiting room. Boarding was quick, this flight didn't seem to be too full and I had a full row for myself. As soon as I could I began playing with the PTV, it is cool indeed but my thing is looking out of the window, and so I did for most of the flight. It's really a pleasure to be able to take pictures out of a very clean window, this particular A320 had arrived new from Toulouse just a month earlier.

Boarding

Sit and ready

Pushback

Finishing the loooooooooooong pushback

Taxiing

More taxiing

We took off and I could have a nice view of Bogota's sprawl, then turn, continue climbing and be on the way. There was mild turbulence during the flight but nothing to complain about. Sooner than not we were landing at MDE again, went to one of the "parking spaces" and I went home.

Takeoff

View Large View Medium

Photo © Andres Ramirez

Climb

Cruise

Interior

BOG-MDE

Beginning of descent

Usual juice, this time mango

Info

Over La Ceja town

View Large View Medium

Photo © Andres Ramirez

Braking with the terminal in the background

Ready at our "parking space", engines off

Linux Kernel Paaaaaaaaaaanic!

As usual, the last one to get off the Airplane

View Large View Medium

Photo © Andres Ramirez

------------------------------------------

VIDEOS

Nineteenth flight EOH - AXM:

-Takeoff from EOH: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SmQjD9H5Oic
-Landing at AXM: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xepSZmKdU_Y

Twentieth flight AXM - EOH:

-Takeoff from AXM: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yMo-x69rXAU
-Landing at EOH: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KE8fdeCSF-0

Twenty-first flight MDE - BOG:

-Takeoff from MDE: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AKMnH5qEWgc
-Landing at BOG: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E15eB6e0rxE

Twenty-second flight BOG - MDE:

-Takeoff from BOG: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=owwtZUuxq1k
-Landing at MDE: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_-1ra0wxwTo

----------------------------

With this 4th part I have finished my long trip report, this has covered all the flights I had within 2009 except for one more MDE-BOG-MDE leg which was pretty similar to the last one, except that I had a Fokker 100 instead of an A320 for the return, and it was for very unfortunate circumstances that I had to take that flight, so I rather not write anything.

I hope you enjoyed this long trip report as much as I enjoyed writing this.
As of right now I just returned from a trip to Ecuador, which will have its own trip report in due time,
stay tuned!

Thanks for reading and commenting.

Andres
If, for example, you came at four o'clock in the afternoon, then at three o'clock I shall begin to have existential angst because you nag as hell. www.alpharamirez.com

yultopei

RE: Part IV: Colombian Domestics, Avianca And EasyFly!

Fri Apr 02, 2010 2:08 am

Thank you for this last report about flight in Colombia...

Like all time i enjoy it a lot...

For answering your question in another post, no i'm not from Pereira, but me wife yes, and Pereira is now my second city in my life. i was there close to 20 times and really enjoy it.

I LOVE COLOMBIA
PEI in Colombia!!!. [Canon T2i]

davidca

Fri Apr 02, 2010 1:21 pm

Great report with great pictures of flying over your spectacular country! MDE is one of my favorite cities. I haven't yet been to the zona cafetera but hope to get there soon. Thanks for posting.

757MDE
Topic Author

Sat Apr 03, 2010 2:47 am

Quoting yultopei (Reply 1):
Thank you for this last report about flight in Colombia...

Like all time i enjoy it a lot...

For answering your question in another post, no i'm not from Pereira, but me wife yes, and Pereira is now my second city in my life. i was there close to 20 times and really enjoy it.

I LOVE COLOMBIA

I see!
Thanks for commenting.
I just arrived from a trip to Ecuador, so there will be at least one more Colombian flight report coming soon.
Stay tuned!

Quoting DavidCA (Reply 2):
Great report with great pictures of flying over your spectacular country! MDE is one of my favorite cities. I haven't yet been to the zona cafetera but hope to get there soon. Thanks for posting.

Thanks to you for commenting and visiting my country and my city!
Zona Cafetera is nice indeed, I think you will most likely not be disappointed when you visit!
If, for example, you came at four o'clock in the afternoon, then at three o'clock I shall begin to have existential angst because you nag as hell. www.alpharamirez.com

greggarious

Sat Apr 03, 2010 3:47 am

Great photos, makes me want to go visit some family in BOG! I'm generally a fan of AV's red livery (I think it could do with some more red extending below the centerline, but that's just me) and what really strikes me is Avianca's attention to detail, like the red paint on the ends of the flap track fairings and the company name in black on the wing (and, something I've seen in person on the F100s, the registration in black on the other wing). Really nice touches!

757MDE
Topic Author

Sat Apr 03, 2010 7:43 pm

Quoting greggarious (Reply 4):
what really strikes me is Avianca's attention to detail, like the red paint on the ends of the flap track fairings and the company name in black on the wing (and, something I've seen in person on the F100s, the registration in black on the other wing). Really nice touches!

Yeah, those are nice touches and I agree with the AV livery being very nice.
Now, the Airline and Registration thing in the wings is more about regulations here in Colombia, instead of a choice they made themselves, look at this pictures of other airlines:

View Large View Medium

Photo © Andres Ramirez
View Large View Medium

Photo © Andres Ramirez

Aires, EasyFly and the like also have it.
Hope you can make it to BOG and visit your relatives soon!