airbuseric
Topic Author

4 Legs On Lufthansa Cityline: AMS-MUC-VIE-HAM-AMS

Wed Aug 04, 2010 6:23 pm

Hi all again,

Finally I managed the time to complete this report. I’m little behind my schedule, with quite a backlog of flights which I recently took. Anyway, this tripreport is not super special, since it only gives you an insight on the Lufthansa Cityline product.
I booked this trip, mainly to fly a CRJ-200 for another time. But bad luck, since it changed to CRJ-700 after booking. Anyway, I got my part of the Bombardier family again. I sincere hope you still enjoy this kind of ‘standard’ report.

Flights were on June 23, 2010 and just 5 days after my travel to Morocco which was featured in 2 tripreports:
Amsterdam Airlines – The New Wings From Holland (by Airbuseric Jul 8 2010 in Trip Reports)
Royal Air Maroc: Nador - Amsterdam On The B737-400 (by Airbuseric Jul 24 2010 in Trip Reports)

4 legs on Lufthansa Cityline: AMS-MUC-VIE-HAM-AMS

The day started early with a wakeup call at 5am, about 2 hours before my flight. You might think what a luxury for me, but I live close to the airport here. Nevertheless 5am is a bit too early usually, especially when I know that the flights will be mostly standard stuff. A quick little breakfast, and dressing up, gets me in a public bus-service to the airport leaving around 545am, and takes roughly 20 minutes until I arrive in the departure hall.

With all boarding passes in my hands, all printed at home, still I feel the need to reprint the first one on a real paper. The self service machines of Lufthansa work very fine for this. By the way, LH uses desk 5 in departure terminal 1 at AMS. It’s a combined desk with SWISS.

Security was a breeze this morning. I had no situation with staff, especially since I didn’t say a word to them. No beeping, always good to go! Still you always take the risk to be a ‘random’ person as indicated on those x-ray machines. Then you’ll go for the bodycheck anyway.
Not much time to spend, but still need my caffeine shot that morning so Starbucks was the place to go. Quite a bit of queue forming already, and of course, they had 2 types of regular coffee brewing (according the display): 1 was not brewing, and the other one was another taste. Come on! Remove those displays then, or make sure to get everything running smoothly. EUR 2.60 for a regular coffee is not so bad, keeping in mind the airport you are at, and other facilities are a more expensive, and give you smaller quantities!

Anyhow, time to walk to the gate. The coffee in my hands of course. Lufthansa flights are leaving from the B-concourse, making it quite a bit of good morning exercise. Calculate about 10 to 15 minutes, a.netters maybe 30 minutes (yes, you have some photo opportunities) to reach the B-concourse from the main departure lounge.

Gate B17 is mine that morning, aircraft is already on position since it came in the night before and had some sleep on Dutch soil.
Although it looked a bit quiet around the aircraft. Also, no lights on and passenger door still closed. Not a surprise, when at 0645am the crew was finally arriving at the gate. A bit late I think, since the departure should be 25 minutes later. Let’s see if this Lufthansa crew can manage their preparations on time. Apparently they could, since boarding was announced at 7am sharp.
No use of the passenger bridge here, so halfway down the bridge you walk outside, stairs down onto the apron towards the aircraft. Large handluggage had to be placed on a cart, and handling staff would arrange loading in the bulk hold for that.

When I entered the cabin, a friendly female greeted me in German (as I did to her also), and I grabbed my Dutch newspaper Algemeen Dagblad. KLM… do you read this? Free newspaper. Yes, also for Economy Class.

AMS-MUC
Flight No.: LH 4705 Date: 23JUN’10
STD: 0710 ATD: 0714
STA: 0835 ATA: 0837
A/C: Bombardier CRJ-900 Reg No.: D-ACKA
Seat: 05F (Class: Y)

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Klaus Ecker

D-ACKA is delivered factory fresh to Lufthansa Cityline in 2006 and named after the city of Pfaffenhofen a.d. Ilm. It flies a mixed configuration of 84 seats in total, in the standard 2-2 layout. My ride on D-ACKA is my 4th time to fly the CRJ-900 series, and first time on this particular aircraft. Furthermore I did numerous flights on the smaller –700 and –200 series.

Block-out was with a minimal delay so the crew made up their late show up. During taxiing to the runway, one of the crewmembers did the manual safety demo. Taxi time was very short, runway 24 in use, and intersection departure from S5 was taken. Airborne just minutes after block-out, flying into the clear summer skies!

With a load of 61 in Economy, 2 in Business Class, not too bad. I was happy with 2 seats here, and made it comfortable. The departure was via a Lunix1S routing, giving good fews on surrounding cities and also the now closed former airforce base ‘Soesterberg’.

Soesterberg Airforce based (closed):

Crew on the flightdeck were Captain Alexander Rahm and First Officer Frederik Mentink, a Duthman. He gave enroute flight info in 3 languages, so also in my own (Dutch) that morning. Very nice touch here from LH, not a everyday happening.

Service was a sandwich with ham or cheese, 2 drinks as usual on LH. One cold drink taken (juice) and they always offer additional tea or coffee. Big plus here also, I think LH offers a good product on flights with this duration. The sandwich tasted fresh, and I was able enjoy the story about our Dutch ‘Bavaria girls’ who were send back to freedom after their arrest in South Africa for wearing a Bavaria Beer dress during the world cup.

For the rest during the smooth ride, I noticed Dusseldorf Airport, also Cologne-Bonn was visible in a far distance, then we overflew of course Frankfurt-Main, with the 4th runway under construction, followed by descent and approach for Munich.

Dusseldorf (DUS) Airport:

Frankfurt Main (FRA) Airport:

We landed on runway 08L, followed by some strong brakes and quick vacating. I guess some other traffic was following us closely.

Obvious which airline is around here:

Parking was, as usual, on a remote spot on the commuter apron. Also as usual at MUC, the bus is already standing by, so able to continue the ride to the terminal within minutes. I am still impressed by Munich Airport. I rate this airport really very high on my list when it comes to service and handling. A clean and well arranged airport with good offerings to passengers.

I had a few hours to kill. My next flight was to Vienna. I checked flight informations and noticed a 0900am departure to Vienna (LH3550) was cancelled. Actually I found out later, this was a ground turn back. So, technical trouble, my own conclusion. Another departure of LH3552 was showing a delay, and I was waiting for LH3554 at 1120am. My own knowledge made me worry slightly, with the delays on the screen, one cancellation etc. Maybe this will influence the operation of my flight also.
And of course I kept tracking the flight informations from that moment, seeing it already forecasting a 30 minute delay for my flight. Not too bad. We’ll see.

Somebody in for shopping?

Once my gate was assigned (G26), I went there and found a further delay. Total 55 minutes now. For sure this was caused by the happening earlier that morning. No further information from groundstaff though.

Delay:

...and now even a bit more delay:

At least Munich Airport, together with Lufthansa/Star Alliance offers a good selection of newspapers and free coffee/tea also. Waiting was not an issue for me. Plenty of comfortable and available chairs all around, good views on the apron also.

My aircraft came in for a finger gate here at 1150am. Surprised a bit, since mostly also the Embraers are on remote positions. Not here, so no busride.

Boarding started at noon, using the barcode scanning to enter. A friendly hello from the crew when I entered a spotless cabin. For sure this was a new aircraft, smelling good and everything like new!

MUC-VIE
Flight No.: LH 3554 Date: 23JUN’10
STD: 1120 ATD: 1224
STA: 1220 ATA: 1319
A/C: Embraer 195LR Reg No.: D-AEBE
Seat: 27F (Class: Y)

View Large View Medium

Photo © Benjamin Exenberger

Delivery of D-AEBE was on 28 April 2010, and when I took this flight, the latest Embraer in the Lufthansa fleet and less then 2 months old. These Embraer 195’s seat 116 passengers in a mixed configuration, changable on demand. For me, this was the 6th time on the Embraer 170/190 series, an aircraft range I definitely fell in love with!

A load of abuot 70%, the seat next to me remains free. Legroom is also very good on this Embraer. Lightgrey leather seats. Typical Lufthansa style, always a pleasant experience. No screens on this machine, so a manual safety demonstration performed by the crew.

Seats on the LH E195:

Meanwhile we taxi to runway 08R for departure. Yes, delay is exceeding 1 hours by now. Also here on the taxiway, crew hands out the snack already. It’s a Milka chocolate bar.

Passing something heavy bound for Qatar:

Departure is without special effects so nothing to tell actually. Some slight bumps during the climb, probably caused by the warm temperature. It’s a usual thing in summertime.

Airborne:

And above the clouds:

When seatbelt signs went off, crew rushed into their service duty of distributing drinks. I got a coke, with ice cubes. Plus the milka bar of course, that was given already. Not bad at all for this afternoon departure now, and the only very short flighttime. Actually, cruising was almost not excisting, because soon we started the descent already.

Cabin view on D-AEBE:

We overflew the city of Vienna before a very turbulent approach to runway 34. Turbulence caused by very strong winds, and giving a lot of discomfort here. Landing was quite rough also, landing one hour late.

Almost arriving at Vienna Airport:

During taxiing to the remote spot I noticed a Polet Flight Ilyushin 96 Cargo, parked far away. Definitely not an everyday sight!

Nice Ilyushin from Russia:

Disembarking was via both forward and rear exit, using stairs. A bus was awaiting us and delivered us to the terminal building.

Disembarking by stairs onto the apron:

Once arrived, you’ll have to choose either straight out to arrival hall/baggage reclaim/exit, or up to gates C/D, or left to gates B. Checking the flight information, I saw gates B for my flight so I went there immediately. Definitely not a wise decision I found out.

Security was a bit of hassle. A very uninteresting looking girl playing here role as security officer told me to take out my DSLR and lenses and put it apart in a tray. No way I thought, and I told here I wouldn’t comply to her request. I said, you know this bag? This is a camera bag! Therefore my camera will stay inside. Apparantely she agreed now, since she didn’t say a word and so I cleared security.

Now the B-gates at Vienna. I hope the airport management is listening, since that place is ready for the scrapyard. Very old-fashioned, marginal seating and the seats are metal ones with nails missing. So very, very uncomfortable. Also noisy, since they have loose parts because the seating is broken. Only 2 shops or so, selling stuff nobody wants to have (why a kind of fish/caviar shop overthere!), and 1 overpriced bar. Oh yes, the toilets were very dirty, and smell bad too!
Positive is free wifi offered by the airport, so I bought the overpriced coffee, and took at least a good seat in the bar, surfed the internet for while on my PDA, and waited for my next flight.
But hey, Vienna! You better change terminal B soon. The times of SkyEurope are over now, and I fly a so called legacy airline. Now I expect some decent terminal and waiting lounge also!

Terminal/Gates/Area B:

My gate:

20 minutes before departure 1 bus turns in backwards to my assigned gate: B26. Boarding is announced immediately then and everybody too a place in the bus. I counted a total of 49 passengers on this flight. The bus drove to the remote apron again, with my aircraft waiting.

Boarding:

Crew is friendly when I enter the cabin.

VIE-HAM
Flight No.: LH 3593 Date: 23JUN’10
STD: 1530 ATD: 1528
STA: 1655 ATA: 1650
A/C: Bombardier CRJ-700 Reg No.: D-ACPB
Seat: 19F (Class: Y)

View Large View Medium

Photo © Sven Ole Niwek

This CRJ-700 is named after the city Rüdesheim a. Rhein and delivered new to Lufthansa Cityline in 2001. It’s among the oldest CRJ-700 examples in the fleet now and seat 70 passengers in mixed configuration. This being the 5th time on a CRJ-700 series, and a new registration for my log.

We left ontime. Just taxi out of the stand, pushback was not needed here. A manual safety demo here, and 2 seats for me again also on this leg. Further in the back now, a bit more noisy here, but good view on the wing and engine if I want.

Taxiing was not long, and on my right some interesting Antonov 26 cargo hauler from Hungary taking off in front. Operated by CityLine Hungary. Runway 29 was used and we were airborne just minutes later.

The Antonov:

And airborne:

Actually there is not much to report on this flight, since it was a standard one. Some reading and music, and service consisted of a 33cl Warsteiner beer and some biscuit. Not the best combo, since I preferred some more salty snack. Anyway, it did the job and I survived the flight well.

Cabin LH CRJ-700:

Catering:

Remarkable maybe, was that no enroute information was given. The cockpit was completely quiet on this flight, so also the routing was not know to me.

Enroute:

Approach:

Descent to Hamburg was slightly bumpy, but nothing serious either. Landing was on runway 33, with a very short taxiing to the parking spot, a remote position (61) on the apron. A bus was standing by and a short ride to the terminal.

HAM is a modern airport, with ample shopping possibilities. Various restaurant (mostly overpriced though) on the main floor, while some foodcourt is located upper level. Here prices seems to be more decent, although my glass of fine almost reaching a price of EUR 6,00 is on the higher end for my taste. It went well with the fish though, and once spend, I don’t miss the money. Hamburg is among the most expensive cities in Germany, so you can expect this kind of levels here, suiting the clientele mostly.

Hamburg Shopping:

My next and last that day was from gate A22, lower level and meaning a busgate. It seems my next flight would also leave from the remote apron. A shame though that the planned CRJ-200 was exchanged for a CRJ-700 now. It has been a while since I took my last CRJ-200 flight back in 2003 on J-Air.

The gate was not too busy with people, so I expected not a busy flight. A glimpse on a PC located at the counter gave me the information. 40 Economy bookings, 2 Business Class. It seems another comfortable flight here.

Gate Area:

A bus came on time, and drove to the apron. Hoping for it not to stop at D-ACPB which me flew in from Vienna earlier. And I was lucky, we got one of the 2 Star Alliance logojets from Cityline. This means another new registration for my log.

Boarding was smoothly, friendly greeting by the cabin attendant also here.
Doors closed at 18:06, just on time I would say.

HAM-AMS
Flight No.: LH 4666 Date: 23JUN’10
STD: 1810 ATD: 1812
STA: 1910 ATA: 1915
A/C: Bombardier CRJ-700 Reg No.: D-ACPQ
Seat: 07A (Class: Y)

View Large View Medium

Photo © Manuel Mueller

Only a few minutes late as the engines fired up. And also here, taxi out of the apron without further assistance. Runway 33 in use for takeoff, and following a KLM Embraer 190 closely. Let’s see who wins the race to Amsterdam.

KLM ahead:

KLM was lucky in front, and we had to await 3 landing aircraft before it was our turn.
Take off on these CRJ’s is always pleasant, very quiet actually when seated in front, and powerful also.

Goodbye HAM:

After takeoff a good view on Finkenwerder Airport, or also home of the German Airbus Industries. And 2 A380’s visible, 1x Air France, 1x Lufthansa.

Finkerwerder/Airbus Industries:

The flight also flew along Lemwerder Airport, previously the place where the manufactory of the Transall C-160 and also VFW-614 aircraft were build. It seems the hangars are now gone, and not much activity around. Apparently EADS still uses this field for test purposes?

Service on this short flight was very good. A coffee, a cream cheese sandwich (a bit spicy), and a softdrink was offered. Not bad at all! The crew was super friendly here as well.

LH catering HAM-AMS:

Later I noticed also airfield Hoogeveen in The Netherlands, only a grass runway and home to light aircraft. Afterwards we overflew the city of Zwolle and Kampen, both cities of the Hanseatic League.

Hoogeveen Airfield:

Further the descent, we overflew Lelystad Airport, were now also the KLM cityhopper Fokker 100 (PH-OFA) can be seen in a corner of the aviation museum. It was donated by KLM and flown from AMS to Lelystad earlier that same day actually.

Lelystad Airport with their museum:

Hazy conditions over the Markermeer took most of the sights now during the further descent and approach for runway 18C. Yeah, that has been a while since I came in on 18C! Before landing some good views of the city of Zaandam and Amsterdam and it’s harbour.

Amsterdam in the distance and it’s harbour:

After landing I officially found out that the winner today was KLM, since PH-EZF (the Emb190 on the HAM-AMS flight) was already on stands at B32.

KLM ahead and the winner:

We arrived on a remote spot on the B-apron, a bus was standing by and drop off close to the immigration facility a while later.

After all, Lufthansa performed very well, despite the delayed MUC-VIE flight. Service was very good on all flights, maybe the VIE-HAM flight was a bit basic compared to the rest. But still a pleasant experience on the several regional jets that day. Plus some mileage on my account, also a main reason to do such trips once in a while.

Thanks for reading. Your comments, questions etc. are always appreciated, so don’t hesitate to put something online here below.

Regards
Eric

[Edited 2010-08-04 11:29:03]

[Edited 2010-08-04 11:30:57]
"The whole world steps aside for the man who knows where he is going"

konrad

RE: 4 Legs On Lufthansa Cityline: AMS-MUC-VIE-HAM-AMS

Wed Aug 04, 2010 6:38 pm

Thanks for the nice trip report.

I am surprised Warsteiner is still served from glass bottles on LH cityline. On a recent Lufthansa long-haul fligth I was dissapointed to find out that it has been replaced by 33cl cans.

ChrisCruise

Wed Aug 04, 2010 6:44 pm

Hey Eric,

Nice report! Nice that you have enjoyed LH.

The E-jets of LH look amazing and have indeed very comfortable seats and I like the color setting.

We both have a different opinion on LH! Maybe the two times I flew them I was a bit unlucky with service.

Thanks for posting!

Adios,

Christian
Flown:319, 320, 321, 343, 388, 733, 738, 742, 744, 752, 763, 764, 772, 77W, CR7, CR9, DC9-31, E70, E90, F70, F100, MD11

CptRegionalJet

Wed Aug 04, 2010 7:01 pm

Very nice report,glad you enjoyed the flights on us.Catching a -200 series CRJ nowadays is almost impossible since they are only used as spare A/C.I logged my last one so far back in march....

Greetings
CptRegionalJet

airbuseric
Topic Author

Wed Aug 04, 2010 7:01 pm

Hi Konrad,

thank you for your kind words.

Quoting konrad (Reply 1):
I am surprised Warsteiner is still served from glass bottles on LH cityline. On a recent Lufthansa long-haul fligth I was dissapointed to find out that it has been replaced by 33cl cans.

Yes, it's rumoured that all LH flights will change to cans instead of the glass bottles. Also, I once received a Warsteiner 25cl glass bottle (instead of 33cl), which surprised me also. It was last year. But I can understand the change, since it's saving on weight of course.

Quoting ChrisCruise (Reply 2):
The E-jets of LH look amazing and have indeed very comfortable seats and I like the color setting.

Fully agree. Great machines!

Quoting ChrisCruise (Reply 2):
We both have a different opinion on LH! Maybe the two times I flew them I was a bit unlucky with service.

Thanks for reading!

I would say, try your luck again and maybe your opinion changes. And don't forget to fly the E-jet then!  

Eric

vandenheuvel

Wed Aug 04, 2010 7:43 pm

Hi Eric,

Quoting airbuseric (Thread starter):
Let’s see if this Lufthansa crew can manage their preparations on time.

If LH crew can't, nobody can.

who were send back to freedom after their arrest in South Africa

Too bad they were released. I think they've learned to behave now though!

Frankfurt Main (FRA) Airport:

This is a great clear picture.

Cabin view on D-AEBE:

Not even fully booked after the flight cancellation. That's nice for you.

This is a camera bag! Therefore my camera will stay inside. Apparantely she agreed now

I don't think it's very good if she just agrees on you that easily. What if it's about a more serious thing?

Terminal/Gates/Area B:

I've seen better looking bus stations. Great and very fair rant!

The Antonov:

Great looking Antonov. Nice picture too.

were now also the KLM cityhopper Fokker 100 (PH-OFA) can be seen

I was sitting in front of that red hangar that very moment. I remember that day because of the Fokker coming in.

Great report with nice pictures as usual from you.

Tim,

LH4116

Wed Aug 04, 2010 8:11 pm

Hello Eric, a really nice report with some good pics as well. Very nice to see the fisheye being used!  
The day started early with a wakeup call at 5am, about 2 hours before my flight. You might think what a luxury for me, but I live close to the airport here. Nevertheless 5am is a bit too early usually, especially when I know that the flights will be mostly standard stuff. A quick little breakfast, and dressing up, gets me in a public bus-service to the airport leaving around 545am, and takes roughly 20 minutes until I arrive in the departure hall.

Wow, that is quite a luxury. One of the reasons to why I've began to hate flying these days is the long and unnecessary waiting times. But it seems that you have proved to me that it's not really necessairy to be at the airport 2 hours before departure. So how long time would you recommend?

and I grabbed my Dutch newspaper Algemeen Dagblad. KLM… do you read this? Free newspaper. Yes, also for Economy Class.

I thought newspapers were something you would take for granted these days. Didn't know that KLM didn't have news papers though...

I booked this trip, mainly to fly a CRJ-200 for another time. But bad luck, since it changed to CRJ-700 after booking. Anyway, I got my part of the Bombardier family again

I've always thought you didn't like the CR2, mostly because of the tiny cabin?

Service was a sandwich with ham or cheese, 2 drinks as usual on LH. One cold drink taken (juice) and they always offer additional tea or coffee. Big plus here also, I think LH offers a good product on flights with this duration.

Looks like a nice breakfast to me, though why wouldn't they've also handed out small bottles of yoghurt? Btw is it still possible to get 2nd servings on the sandwiches on LH flights? I was able to get 2nd's on my TAP flights...

Service on this short flight was very good. A coffee, a cream cheese sandwich (a bit spicy), and a softdrink was offered. Not bad at all! The crew was super friendly here as well.

That looks like some great catering for that short flight. Seems like LH have skipped the Twix bar?

Thanks for sharing!

//Jonas
SAS Plus is Business Class made faux!

airbuseric
Topic Author

Wed Aug 04, 2010 8:46 pm

Hi all, thank you for your kind replies!

Quoting CptRegionalJet (Reply 3):
Catching a -200 series CRJ nowadays is almost impossible since they are only used as spare A/C.I logged my last one so far back in march....

Hi Captain! Thanks for this information. I actually managed to get a CRJ200 very recently, so I got satisfaction already LOL

Quoting vandenheuvel (Reply 5):

Not even fully booked after the flight cancellation. That's nice for you.

LH3552 was operating also after the cancellation (in front of mine) so I guess that was a better load.

I don't think it's very good if she just agrees on you that easily. What if it's about a more serious thing?

That's why they have the x-ray machine. If then still doubts arise, then it's fair to open a bag/camera bag. Her question was totally unneccesary.

I was sitting in front of that red hangar that very moment.

I should've used my zoomlens then to catch you also.

Quoting LH4116 (Reply 6):
Very nice to see the fisheye being used!

My pleasure, after some requests from Sweden and UAE  
But it seems that you have proved to me that it's not really necessairy to be at the airport 2 hours before departure. So how long time would you recommend?

I take 1 hour before my AMS departures nowadays.

I've always thought you didn't like the CR2, mostly because of the tiny cabin?

I definitely don't like it, but I didn't fly a lot on those, so it was time to grab a flight on this machine again...

Looks like a nice breakfast to me, though why wouldn't they've also handed out small bottles of yoghurt?

Yogurt is for business class LOL

Btw is it still possible to get 2nd servings on the sandwiches on LH flights?

Don't know actually. I never ask for seconds of food.

Seems like LH have skipped the Twix bar?

Yeah, sometimes sandwiches came with a chocolate bar or muesli 'riegel' (bar). Not anymore, it seems.

regards
Eric

FLIEGER67

Wed Aug 04, 2010 8:56 pm

Hoi, Eric,

well done, the warm welcoming evening read.

It seems LH should rise the level to maybe 50 flights to force you to do more legs and me reading more stories, joke, you know!.

A nice regional day with, from my point of view, the E-Jet on top.

No flights via MUC this year for me, at least till now.

A real surpise yesterday evening at STR, a Cityline CRJ200 parked on the apron.

Looking for the next stories.

Greetings,
Markus(FLIEGER67)
Tripreporter.net

OA260

Wed Aug 04, 2010 9:54 pm

Very nice report Eric and some really great quality photos. Lots of E Jets popping up around Europe now and great to see.
I like the LH seats.

Yes me  

Philip

EC001

Wed Aug 04, 2010 10:00 pm

Hello Eric,

As usual, a very good TR!

Many thanks for this well documented and pictured report. I really enjoyed it!

cheers,

orian

ba319-131

Wed Aug 04, 2010 10:08 pm

Hi Eric,

Looks like you had a good days flying, despite the -200 being changed to a -700.

The E 170/190 are fantastic planes, by far my favorite regional aircraft, shame it's not so easy for me to get on them - LCY is a bit of a pain really and leaving the car there is expensive.

How easy is it to get mileage on LH? - I flew them a year or so back,LHR-FRA-ATH ( took AC 332 ATH-CDG) but got zero mileage in my bmi account, flight was booked on the LH website too.

I got mileage from CA.

Cheers

Mark
111 732 733 734 735 736 73G 738 739,7M8 BBJ 741 742 743 744 752 753 762 763 764 772 77L 773 77W L15 D10 D30 D40 AB3 AB6 312 313 318 319 320 20N 321 21N 332 333 342 343 345 346 359 351 388 CS1 CS3 I86 154 SSJ CRJ CR7 CR9 CRK 145 170 175 220

airbuseric
Topic Author

Wed Aug 04, 2010 10:26 pm

Hi, thank you for the further replies!

Quoting FLIEGER67 (Reply 8):
A nice regional day with, from my point of view, the E-Jet on top.
Quoting BA319-131 (Reply 11):
The E 170/190 are fantastic planes, by far my favorite regional aircraft,

Fully agree with you guys! A big improvement compared to the competition!

No flights via MUC this year for me, at least till now.

You have a few remaining months to change that schedule  
A real surpise yesterday evening at STR, a Cityline CRJ200 parked on the apron.

Yeah, I noticed also one lately somewhere. I think it was in FRA actually when I saw it. Did you fly also on it?

Quoting OA260 (Reply 9):
Very nice report Eric and some really great quality photos.

Thanks Philip!

Quoting OA260 (Reply 9):

Yes me

Actually I thought of you when I pictured the Bvlgari store.

Quoting EC001 (Reply 10):
Many thanks for this well documented and pictured report. I really enjoyed it!

Hi Orian! My pleasure. I'm happy to hear you enjoyed it  
Looks like you had a good days flying, despite the -200 being changed to a -700.

Mark, I got a CRJ-200 replacing a Emb170 a few weeks ago, so that was a big surprise. Not a LH example though ...

How easy is it to get mileage on LH?

All flights make mileage, but some not so much. Depends on booking class. I usually try to figure out higher booking classes which make a 750 miles per flight, which is very reasonable for a European flight.

Regards
Eric

NZ107

Thu Aug 05, 2010 10:34 am

Hi Eric,

Another great TR, with fantastic photos like usual.

EUR 2.60 for a regular coffee is not so bad, keeping in mind the airport you are at, and other facilities are a more expensive, and give you smaller quantities!

I bet you'll be more than pleased with the coffee if you were to come down to here or Sydney/Melbourne. Maybe not at the airport but cafes around the city.

No use of the passenger bridge here, so halfway down the bridge you walk outside, stairs down onto the apron towards the aircraft

It does look funny.. Especially when all other planes around are using the jetbridge because they can!

Lightgrey leather seats. Typical Lufthansa style, always a pleasant experience.

The seats look really nice.

One deduction - it must be annoying flying the CRJ as there are so few windows!

Thanks for sharing!

Regards,
Nicholas

[Edited 2010-08-05 03:35:21]
It's all about the destination AND the journey.

parton87

Thu Aug 05, 2010 12:10 pm

Hello Eric!

Thank you for a great report! Good pictures and interesting reading! I visited the B-gates at VIE in April this year flying to Innsbruck. I can only agree with you, to small,old-fashioned and overpriced bar. It´s like the domestic terminals at Arlanda! Luckily I was a little bit late to the airport so I only spent around 30 min there.....but that was enough!

Last time I flew with Lufthansa was in May last year, with their 737-500 and I must say that I agree with you. LH is for sure a good airline. Good catering and nice crews 

Thanks again for a great report! Hope to see more trip reports from you soon again! I relay liked the one with Amsterdam Airlines too!

Greetings
/Robert

airbuseric
Topic Author

Thu Aug 05, 2010 12:34 pm

Hi again, thank you for your replies again! I appreciate it  
Quoting NZ107 (Reply 13):
Another great TR, with fantastic photos like usual.

Thank you, Nicholas!

I bet you'll be more than pleased with the coffee if you were to come down to here or Sydney/Melbourne.

How come? You mean the taste is better, or the price is so low?

It does look funny.. Especially when all other planes around are using the jetbridge because they can!

Yeah indeed. LH can maybe also decide for remote handling (passengers by bus), but it's less convenient. So this option is better with regard to customer service.

One deduction - it must be annoying flying the CRJ as there are so few windows!

Not so annoying, I think. It's one window per row only, and you've to bend slightly forward to get a complete look out of it. But actually, compare the pictures of the cabin on Emb195 and CRJ700: it's a similar situation. Also the E-jets have the windows alligned in a similar way and quantity.

Quoting Parton87 (Reply 14):
Thank you for a great report! Good pictures and interesting reading

Robert, thank you! Good to hear.

I visited the B-gates at VIE in April this year flying to Innsbruck.
I was a little bit late to the airport so I only spent around 30 min there

Lucky you!  
Hope to see more trip reports from you soon again!

For sure you will. I have some backlog, and a lot more to fly in the near future. So stay tuned...

Regards
Eric

FlyingFinn76

Thu Aug 05, 2010 2:46 pm

Hi Eric,

Looks like you had a great day of flying around Germany and a bit of Austria as well. Luckily you had one E-jet there as well, otherwise it would've been a bit boring with all those stretched CRJs.

Shame about missing that CRJ-200, those birds are getting very rare nowadays.

You were very lucky with the beautiful weather along the way, makes for some amazingly clear and beautiful shots, especially the DUS and FRA airports.

enjoy the story about our Dutch ‘Bavaria girls’ who were send back to freedom after their arrest in South Africa for wearing a Bavaria Beer dress during the world cup.

Errr, what an earth are you talking about?!

Seats on the LH E195:

These look very comfortable and in impeccable condition as well, as is to be expected from LH!

Now the B-gates at Vienna. I hope the airport management is listening, since that place is ready for the scrapyard.

Tell me about it, that place is a serious dump. The first time I was there was in 2003 and I think back then they only had a single bar and none of the shops, it was even more dreary.

But you could've just gone to the upstairs A gates area first, security there is at the gate so no hassle and they have a Starbucks there as well! Actually even that area isn't that good either, I hate the shopping maze it is very confusing and cramped and the whole place feels a bit old fashioned but it is definitely better than the dungeon down there.

A very uninteresting looking girl playing here role as security officer told me to take out my DSLR and lenses and put it apart in a tray.

Must be the same girl I once dealt with at the very same spot - she created a major hassle from the fact that I had a properly sealed duty free bag with the receipt and all visible with some good whiskey in it (I was coming from ZRH, connecting to DUS), she couldn't believe I could take it through security as per the regulations. We had a heated argument and then she just walked away and one of her colleagues waved me through. Weird.

Hamburg is among the most expensive cities in Germany, so you can expect this kind of levels here, suiting the clientele mostly.

...it is also the richest city in Germany, so I guess they can afford it!

PlaneHunter

Thu Aug 05, 2010 3:15 pm

Hi Eric,

nice report with great pictures as usual, definitely a pleasure to read!

The sandwich tasted fresh, and I was able enjoy the story about our Dutch ‘Bavaria girls’ who were send back to freedom after their arrest in South Africa for wearing a Bavaria Beer dress during the world cup.

Well, using the name "Bavaria" for a Dutch beer should be punished...  

A load of abuot 70%, the seat next to me remains free. Legroom is also very good on this Embraer. Lightgrey leather seats. Typical Lufthansa style, always a pleasant experience.

Very stylish seats!

Now the B-gates at Vienna. I hope the airport management is listening, since that place is ready for the scrapyard. Very old-fashioned, marginal seating and the seats are metal ones with nails missing. So very, very uncomfortable. Also noisy, since they have loose parts because the seating is broken. Only 2 shops or so, selling stuff nobody wants to have (why a kind of fish/caviar shop overthere!), and 1 overpriced bar. Oh yes, the toilets were very dirty, and smell bad too!

I can only agree, what a nasty place!   

PH
Nothing's worse than flying the same reg twice!

palmjet

Thu Aug 05, 2010 5:43 pm

Hi Eric - I really enjoyed your LH report. Thanks also for the pics. I also love the EM190. Great aircraft. I completely agree with you about VIE. I was there in May and could not believe how dated it felt - we were also in the non Schengen part of the terminal which seemed to have very limited views of the apron through those large louvre things. It was poor.

Thanks again!
Eastern - Number One To The Sun

Contact Air

Thu Aug 05, 2010 7:18 pm

Hi Eric,

Great report and excellent pictures. Good to hear that you enjoyed your LH Regional flights. I also like their product.

I sincere hope you still enjoy this kind of ‘standard’ report.

Yes, I do. Besides some really special reports about rare airlines that can be found here, it is also nice to read about the "regular" stuff from time to time.

He gave enroute flight info in 3 languages, so also in my own (Dutch) that morning. Very nice touch here from LH, not a everyday happening.

Indeed, it is always nice when a member of the crew speaks the language of the destination (or origin) airport as well.

I noticed Dusseldorf Airport, also Cologne-Bonn was visible in a far distance, then we overflew of course Frankfurt-Main

Great pictures!

Delivery of D-AEBE was on 28 April 2010, and when I took this flight, the latest Embraer in the Lufthansa fleet and less then 2 months old.

It is always nice to fly in such a new aircraft!

Regards
Christoph

DunaA320

Fri Aug 06, 2010 9:42 am

Hi Eric

Nice to see you catching up on your reporting. Some great flights you had on the little regional jets. I must say that after flying my first EJet (BA E190) the other week, they are great aircraft to fly on.

Great reporting and great pics.

Thanks for sharing!

Seats on the LH E195:

Those seats look alot nicer than the standard ones with the lower backs.

Security was a bit of hassle. A very uninteresting looking girl playing here role as security officer told me to take out my DSLR and lenses and put it apart in a tray. No way I thought, and I told here I wouldn’t comply to her request. I said, you know this bag? This is a camera bag! Therefore my camera will stay inside. Apparantely she agreed now, since she didn’t say a word and so I cleared security.

Haha thats great. I had a run in with an agent in FAO yesterday, she told me to remove one of my liquids as it was not allowed. I refuesed as it was 100ml. She did not belive me but then looked again at it. Stupid woman!

Very nice to see the fisheye being used

Yes. I need to get one of these!

Matt

NZ107

Fri Aug 06, 2010 10:01 am

Quoting airbuseric (Reply 15):
How come? You mean the taste is better, or the price is so low?

Both, in some respects. But mainly price - you'd be paying that much in NZD or AUD for a decent coffee.

Quoting airbuseric (Reply 15):
Not so annoying, I think. It's one window per row only, and you've to bend slightly forward to get a complete look out of it. But actually, compare the pictures of the cabin on Emb195 and CRJ700: it's a similar situation. Also the E-jets have the windows alligned in a similar way and quantity.

Oh ok. I guess I just haven't flown enough on these RJs to get a full appreciation but from the cabin picture it gives me an impression that it'd be hard to take ohotos as you do have to stretch out to take them.

Cheers,
Nicholas
It's all about the destination AND the journey.

yp6370

Fri Aug 06, 2010 10:32 am

Thanks for the report! First time I've seen LH's E-Jet interior. Nice  

And what the Warsteiner mystery concerns:
25cl glass bottles are seved on domestic flights. International flights get the 33cl glas bottles.
And yes unfortunately they are replaced by cans already on long-hauls. Looks terrible. Not very classy  

infodesk

Fri Aug 06, 2010 5:14 pm

Hi Eric,

A nice Friday evening read and a nice day of flying.

Some times I wonder how much business these high-end shops do. It's the same at Zurich. Bvlgari is always empty when I walk past!!

Calculate about 10 to 15 minutes, a.netters maybe 30 minutes (yes, you have some photo opportunities)

Love your shots of FRA & DUS from above. You get really excellent results with your camera.

The E-jet - I can understand why you like it so much having flown on it for the first time last month. The LH seats look very smart indeed in that dark leather.

As for VIE, what a disappointment at the B-gates. I've heard many positive things about the airport so was quite surprised to see this tatty area.

Still, all in all a successful day and some nice miles for the account!

Happy flying
Infodesk   
"Do nothing in haste, look well to each step and from the beginning think what may be the end" - Edward Whymper

CrimsonNL

Sat Aug 07, 2010 5:00 pm

Hey Eric, good report as usual. I love the pictures! The LL standing next to the KA in your first shot happens to be my favorite LH airbus haha! Good to see LH didn't let you down.

I can see why you hate the B gates in VIE. It looks very old. I hate those shops that sell stuff that noone wants too. Why not build a functional one with sandwiches or something!

Keep up the good work, regards,

Martijn
Always comparing your flown types list with mine

airbuseric
Topic Author

Mon Aug 09, 2010 9:01 am

Hi all,
thank you for your further replies!

Quoting FlyingFinn76 (Reply 16):
Luckily you had one E-jet there as well, otherwise it would've been a bit boring with all those stretched CRJs.

I would've survived the day also, but indeed, some more E-jets nowadays is great!

You were very lucky with the beautiful weather along the way, makes for some amazingly clear and beautiful shots, especially the DUS and FRA airports.

Thanks!

Errr, what an earth are you talking about?!

Look here ::: CLICK

But you could've just gone to the upstairs A gates area first, security there is at the gate so no hassle and they have a Starbucks there as well!

I didn't know then, but now found out, thanks to your advise. But indeed, VIE isn't that great at all!

Must be the same girl I once dealt with at the very same spot -

Some people are not ok for their job and better do something else :S

Quoting PlaneHunter (Reply 17):
nice report with great pictures as usual, definitely a pleasure to read!

Thanks PH!

Quoting Palmjet (Reply 18):
I was there in May and could not believe how dated it felt - we were also in the non Schengen part of the terminal which seemed to have very limited views of the apron

Oh yes, I was in the D-gates (non-Schengen) yesterday, and although it seems a bit more modern, still it's old-fashioned and not up to todays standards. That place also needs a make-over!

Quoting Contact Air (Reply 19):
Besides some really special reports about rare airlines that can be found here, it is also nice to read about the "regular" stuff from time to time.
Quoting DunaA320 (Reply 20):
Great reporting and great pics.

Thanks guys!

Quoting YP6370 (Reply 22):
First time I've seen LH's E-Jet interior. Nice

My pleasure  
Quoting YP6370 (Reply 22):
And what the Warsteiner mystery concerns:
25cl glass bottles are seved on domestic flights. International flights get the 33cl glas bottles.

Thanks for this good info! I was not aware of this policy so far  
Quoting infodesk (Reply 23):
Bvlgari is always empty when I walk past!!

I tell you, yesterday in IST 3 people where shopping in Bvulgari  
Love your shots of FRA & DUS from above. You get really excellent results with your camera.

And those are only from my small snapshot Canon Ixus  
As for VIE, what a disappointment at the B-gates. I've heard many positive things about the airport

I could not have been the one, since I cannot find anything positive here.

Quoting CrimsonNL (Reply 24):
The LL standing next to the KA in your first shot happens to be my favorite LH airbus haha!

Any reason for your favourite Martijn? Would be interesting to hear!

Regards
Eric

[Edited 2010-08-09 02:04:55]

AustrianZRH

Mon Aug 09, 2010 10:58 am

Now the B-gates at Vienna. I hope the airport management is listening, since that place is ready for the scrapyard.

Fully agree, makes one embarrassed to be Austrian... The new terminal is u/c, should be finished in 2008! No wait, that year has already passed, hasn't it? Oh yeah, it's worse than an A380 or a B787 on order, I think now they want to have it finished by 2012 at three times the planned cost. That's the messed up system with public construction...
WARNING! The post above should be taken with a grain of salt! Furthermore, it may be slightly biased towards A.

airbuseric
Topic Author

Tue Aug 10, 2010 10:05 am

Hi,

thank you for your reply,

Quoting AustrianZRH (Reply 26):

Fully agree, makes one embarrassed to be Austrian... The new terminal is u/c, should be finished in 2008!

I think so too! And how about the airlines using these gates. I guess LH needs a bit better seating for it's pax. I would say these B-gates are more suitable for Ryanair operations :S

Regards
Eric

Globetraveller

Wed Aug 11, 2010 5:54 pm

Hi Eric,

Thank you for another interesting trip report. Your pictures are getting better and better!

I know what you mean about the TR backlog though. After a while, I think it is best to just be very selective on which flights you write on.

I look forward to more from you soon!

Globetraveller

akhmad

Sun Aug 22, 2010 5:33 am

Hi Eric,

What a great read on this grey Sunday morning. Yes, I remember how sunny it was in Western Europe. Hence your crisp and beautiful pictures.

I especially like the MUC part. One of the best airports I have ever visited. LH indeed shows her presence explicitly there.

Thank you for sharing.

Cheers,
Suryo
There is no deity except You. Exalted are You. Indeed, I have been of the wrongdoers.

airbuseric
Topic Author

Tue Aug 24, 2010 11:48 pm

Hi,
thanks for your further replies!

Quoting globetraveller (Reply 28):
Thank you for another interesting trip report. Your pictures are getting better and better!

Thanks. I'll do my best  
Quoting globetraveller (Reply 28):
After a while, I think it is best to just be very selective on which flights you write on.

Maybe indeed. Sometimes it's getting to busy to write about everything.

Quoting akhmad (Reply 29):
Yes, I remember how sunny it was in Western Europe. Hence your crisp and beautiful pictures.

Exactly, WAS   I miss those beautiful days already... we have clouds, rain and storm for too long already now.

Quoting akhmad (Reply 29):
I especially like the MUC part. One of the best airports I have ever visited.

Fully agree.

Regards
Eric

photoshooter

Sun Feb 06, 2011 4:30 pm

Hey Eric,

amazing Trip Report!
Just amazing... can't say more. I love the pics of the airports like DUS, FRA and Lelystad.
very funny though, back in November, I did DUS-VIE-DUS and I used the same gate at VIE...
B26   weird that they gave you a proper meal on the AMS-MUC flight.. LH gave me an overdated
waffle on VIE-DUS ... nevertheless, they are great though...

once again, great trip report!

Greetings,

Photoshooter
'A lie gets halfway around the world before the truth has a chance to get its pants on.' - Winston Churchill

MSS658

Sat Feb 12, 2011 8:15 pm

Great report, Do you have any cabin pics of the CRJ900? I flew BRU-MUC-BRU on Cityline but my MUC-BRU leg got cancelled (CR9) so had an E95 instead. Concerning the lack of announcements of the MUC-VIE delay in MUC I can agree, have the same story on the MUC-BRU leg, this while some 'US' Airlines give more announcements, a phone call and an email.
Next trip report: Well worn A330s and Hassle free MUC transfer

airbuseric
Topic Author

Sun Feb 13, 2011 10:07 am

Hey, nice to have some replies from Belgium  
Quoting photoshooter (Reply 31):
back in November, I did DUS-VIE-DUS and I used the same gate at VIE...

Yes it seems that LH is using that specific gate almost every time when I had the combo LH and VIE in my schedule. Quite bad, since that part of the terminal is among the worst in Europe... even some FR airports are in better condition  
Quoting photoshooter (Reply 31):
weird that they gave you a proper meal on the AMS-MUC flight..

Mwa, proper meal... Just the standard LH sandwich pack. Which is changed nowadays to the new catering concept. Last time (last Month) I received a 'Asian wrap' instead (which was very tasty though)

Quoting MSS658 (Reply 32):
Do you have any cabin pics of the CRJ900?

I'm sorry, but I have not a good picture of the CRJ900 cabin. But, it's totally similar to the CRJ700 cabin as shown in this report. Only the cabin length will differ a few rows. Seats and overhead bins are the same on LH's CR7/CR9.

Regards
Eric