Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

golfradio

RE: Totally Thrilling: Scenic Flight On Lufthansa A380

Sat Aug 14, 2010 9:14 pm

What a fantastic TR! Thanks so much for it. I can't imagine what a new plane smells like. Is it anything like a new car smell?

NZ107

Sun Aug 15, 2010 5:29 am

Quoting PlaneHunter (Reply 44):
Sounds very interesting...NZ 77W?

I'd sure like to hope I can!

MadameConcorde

Mon Aug 16, 2010 9:03 am

This is posted on the Flyertalk LH forums by one of the passengers on the flight.

You all got really lucky to have this steep turn experience "air show style" at SZG!!

That angle... mamma mia!!!!

http://stream2.orf.at/filehandler/sbgmagazin/201030/a380_124590.wmv

Kudos to the flight deck crew!!!

lukeyboy95

Mon Aug 16, 2010 2:28 pm

Hi PH,

What a wonderful documentation of this fantastic trip, and well done in securing your place. I think someone has mentioned it already, but isn't it impressive that LH and AF seem to have been the most instrumental in marketing their A380's. Obviously, we've heard alot from SQ, EK AND QF - but it is the European carriers who have been giving the 'average Joe' an experience to fly it.

Infact after enjoying the AF A380 at the weekend, I am firmly sold and its perfect PR.

Quoting PlaneHunter (Thread starter):
I secured Economy Class window seats (199 Euro per person)

Not unreasonably priced, and good to know that its going to a cause too....

4th A380 flight
4th A380 carrier

Your doing well!

Lufthansa is proud to welcome the Airbus A380 into its fleet as its new flagship in long-haul traffic and ambassador

Yes, the other airlines can see that the paying customer is absolutely sold on the A380 - why is the orders seem to have stagnated? I thought after the success reports from the current users that we might have at least seen some orders at Farnborough.

I , like you, am now sold on this bird. This report only serves to highlight yet more of her excellent qualities.

Regards

Luke

xanda

Fri Aug 20, 2010 2:16 pm

All I can say is WOW! I cannot believe you were lucky enough to be able to experience such a thing on a passenger jet full stop, let alone an A380. Takes me back to Farnborough two years ago and seeing it do similar style turns then was truely breath-taking. Now the thought of it doing that with 550 people on board is even more spectacular.

On a side note, there should be some sort of rating system on here for trip reports, this would definately earn its 5 stars.

Jealous would be the only word I could use to sum this up  

Alex.

akhmad

Sun Aug 22, 2010 4:31 am

Hi PH,

Truly one of the best report ever of yours. How you take us along through the whole experience is just brilliant. It makes me feel l was there with you with all the excitements.

I wished I was flying out of MUC couple days earlier and catching your flight from another perspective.

I have noticed the spotter's hill but somehow still missed out the T2 observation deck. Is that accessible from airside?

Thank you for sharing these unique moments.

Cheers,
Suryo

PlaneHunter
Topic Author

Sat Aug 28, 2010 10:41 am

Quoting vatveng (Reply 48):
Nice report! The A380 is really an impressive bird.

Thanks for your comments, Dan!

Quoting MadameConcorde (Reply 49):
Wooooh... you got lucky to be able to do the alpen rundflug... thank you for the trip report!

Yes, it was luck indeed.

Quoting MadameConcorde (Reply 49):
I wanted to go but i did not have the tip...
when i had the info from LH it was already too late....

All seats were sold quickly - I guess they could have filled some more flights easily.

Quoting golfradio (Reply 50):
What a fantastic TR! Thanks so much for it. I can't imagine what a new plane smells like. Is it anything like a new car smell?

Many thanks! Yes, it smelt like a new car interior.

Quoting NZ107 (Reply 51):
I'd sure like to hope I can!

Ok - so no concrete planes yet?

Quoting MadameConcorde (Reply 52):
You all got really lucky to have this steep turn experience "air show style" at SZG!!

That angle... mamma mia!!!!

Thanks for the link!

Quoting lukeyboy95 (Reply 53):
What a wonderful documentation of this fantastic trip, and well done in securing your place.

Hi Luke, thanks a lot for your feedback!

Not unreasonably priced, and good to know that its going to a cause too....

Yes, it was still reasonable.

Your doing well!

Well, I hadn't expected to get on the LH bird so quickly. Now I need to find a way to fly QF's A380...probably next year.

Yes, the other airlines can see that the paying customer is absolutely sold on the A380 - why is the orders seem to have stagnated?

Well, it's useful for airline which are able to fill it year round with good yields, the situation hasn't changed. The market for the bird has always been a limited one. We may see orders from time to time in the future, but not in outstandingly huge numbers.

Quoting xanda (Reply 54):
All I can say is WOW! I cannot believe you were lucky enough to be able to experience such a thing on a passenger jet full stop, let alone an A380.

Hi Alex, many thanks for your comments!

Takes me back to Farnborough two years ago and seeing it do similar style turns then was truely breath-taking. Now the thought of it doing that with 550 people on board is even more spectacular.

I had always wondered how it would feel inside the plane during such a maneuver - and LH helped to anwer that question!

On a side note, there should be some sort of rating system on here for trip reports, this would definately earn its 5 stars.

Thanks!

Quoting akhmad (Reply 55):
Truly one of the best report ever of yours. How you take us along through the whole experience is just brilliant. It makes me feel l was there with you with all the excitements.

Hi Suryo, thanks a lot, great to hear you liked it.

Quoting akhmad (Reply 55):
I have noticed the spotter's hill but somehow still missed out the T2 observation deck. Is that accessible from airside?

No, you need to walk out. Do you have any plans to come to MUC again in the near future?

PH

BMIFlyer

Sat Aug 28, 2010 12:38 pm

Wow! What an absolutely thrilling report, and superb pictures! 

Well done!!!!

MadameConcorde

Sun Aug 29, 2010 7:30 pm

The seat pocket contained a water bottle, the Lufthansa in-flight magazine and a (great!) high gloss magazine about Lufthansa's A380:

I was lucky to receive them in the mail sent by a FTer friend who was on the very first flight to Narita.
I was also given the Lufthansa aircraft model as a gift by the LH chief of staff in Nice.

Now I will have to try the aircraft.
Note: no Frequent Flyer award F seats tickets are redeemable with the LH380.
I tried asking for doing a run to Johannesburg and back and they said impossible.

They want revenue with these which is something I can understand as it is their best product in the air.
I wish LH much much success with their Big Bus(ses).

PlaneHunter
Topic Author

Thu Sep 02, 2010 6:43 pm

Quoting BMIFlyer (Reply 57):
Wow! What an absolutely thrilling report, and superb pictures!

Many thanks, Lee! Good to hear you enjoyed it.

Quoting MadameConcorde (Reply 58):
I was also given the Lufthansa aircraft model as a gift by the LH chief of staff in Nice.

Nice. I'll keep my eyes open to get a model of D-AIMB.

Quoting MadameConcorde (Reply 58):
Note: no Frequent Flyer award F seats tickets are redeemable with the LH380.
I tried asking for doing a run to Johannesburg and back and they said impossible.

They want revenue with these which is something I can understand as it is their best product in the air.

Yes, I heard that, too. It seems they have no problems to fill these premium seats.

PH

akhmad

Sat Sep 04, 2010 7:40 am

Quoting PlaneHunter (Reply 56):
Do you have any plans to come to MUC again in the near future?

Well, I do not know yet. But I would love to! Especially for a visit to T2 observation desk.

PlaneHunter
Topic Author

Sat Sep 18, 2010 2:38 pm

Quoting akhmad (Reply 60):
Well, I do not know yet. But I would love to! Especially for a visit to T2 observation desk.

We should meet there next year in spring or summer and visit both the T2 observation deck and the Besucherpark (visitors' park). Probably some others want to join us.

PH

NZ107

Sat Sep 25, 2010 2:35 am

Quoting PlaneHunter (Reply 56):
Ok - so no concrete planes yet?

So long as NZ doesn't change their schedule! All booked, including a return in the upper deck of a NZ 744 which has me excited. Still a while off however..

akhmad

Sun Sep 26, 2010 7:42 pm

Quoting PlaneHunter (Reply 61):
We should meet there next year in spring or summer and visit both the T2 observation deck and the Besucherpark (visitors' park). Probably some others want to join us.

That is a deal!  

workwings

Mon Sep 27, 2010 12:14 am

What a thrilling ride and thank you for sharing it with us in your detailed trip report. The climb out of Salzburg... utterly amazing! Thanks for the links to the videos, I can't stop watching them and imagining being in your seat on that flight. Has me really primed for my first A380 flight.

PlaneHunter
Topic Author

Fri Oct 01, 2010 10:31 am

Quoting NZ107 (Reply 62):
So long as NZ doesn't change their schedule! All booked, including a return in the upper deck of a NZ 744 which has me excited. Still a while off however..

Sounds good! Upper deck means Premium Economy...or even Business?

Quoting akhmad (Reply 63):
That is a deal!

Quoting workwings (Reply 64):
What a thrilling ride and thank you for sharing it with us in your detailed trip report. The climb out of Salzburg... utterly amazing! Thanks for the links to the videos, I can't stop watching them and imagining being in your seat on that flight.

Thanks a lot, workwings! Great to hear you liked it.

Quoting workwings (Reply 64):
Has me really primed for my first A380 flight.

Already booked? Have fun!

PH

Sabena332

Sat Oct 23, 2010 7:11 pm

Hi there,

Finally I found a bit time to read a trip report again! This one here is a masterpiece, ultra-detailed with high-quality pictures, reading and watching was a pleasure!

You can consider yourself lucky that you got a seat on this flight, I read somewhere that the whole flight was sold out within minutes!

Also great that people could experience LH's brand new A380 on a sightseeing flight!

Patrick

LAXorLGWonDL

Sat Oct 23, 2010 7:28 pm

Thank you for sharing! Excellent photos!

PlaneHunter
Topic Author

Mon Nov 01, 2010 3:37 pm

Quoting Sabena332 (Reply 66):
Finally I found a bit time to read a trip report again! This one here is a masterpiece, ultra-detailed with high-quality pictures, reading and watching was a pleasure!

Hi Patrick, thanks a lot for your nice feedback!

Hey, I would like to see a report about your upcoming special flight.

Quoting Sabena332 (Reply 66):
Also great that people could experience LH's brand new A380 on a sightseeing flight!

Yes, I hope LH will organize a similar event when the 747-8i joins the fleet.

Quoting LAXorLGWonDL (Reply 67):
Thank you for sharing! Excellent photos!

Many thanks!

PH

MSS658

Mon Nov 01, 2010 7:11 pm

Nice report! I'm glad you have made it on this special flight. I have not been on the 380 yet, however I'm not in a hurry (there are some other aircraft that there is more rush to be on than the 380)

Are the Y-seats in the 380 the same as those in the 343?

Sabena332

Mon Nov 01, 2010 10:25 pm

Quoting PlaneHunter (Reply 68):
Hey, I would like to see a report about your upcoming special flight.

I will do if I am allowed to publish anything I will see and hear there. It is indeed something special so I will definitely comply with everything they tell me about publishing a trip report.

Quoting PlaneHunter (Reply 68):
Yes, I hope LH will organize a similar event when the 747-8i joins the fleet.

But then from DUS, hopefully.  

Patrick

PlaneHunter
Topic Author

Thu Nov 11, 2010 7:15 pm

Quoting MSS658 (Reply 69):
Nice report! I'm glad you have made it on this special flight.

Thanks for your feedback!

Quoting MSS658 (Reply 69):
Are the Y-seats in the 380 the same as those in the 343?

No, it seems the A380 seats are a bit more modern.

Quoting Sabena332 (Reply 70):
I will do if I am allowed to publish anything I will see and hear there. It is indeed something special so I will definitely comply with everything they tell me about publishing a trip report.

Can you tell us any news?

Quoting Sabena332 (Reply 70):
But then from DUS, hopefully.

"Düsseldorf" would be an appropriate name!

PH

jetblue777

Thu Nov 11, 2010 9:54 pm

That was an amazing trip report! Definitely one of the best ones here in A.net!  

I seem to notice that the PTVs are kinda small; however; the seats looks quite comfortable and the colors are truly LH! I hope they fly their 380s to JFK by next summer, I would love to be on LH's A380. AF flies their A380 here in JFK but I'm Star member, so LH is a better choice  

Anyways, wonderful wonderful pictures, one of the best reports ever!

Sabena332

Thu Nov 11, 2010 11:28 pm

Quoting PlaneHunter (Reply 71):
Can you tell us any news?

Unfortunately not. I'll meet some of the BVB guys tomorrow at the game vs. the HSV, maybe I'll get more details there. But no hectic... the game is today in one month, lots of time left to clear things up.  
Quoting PlaneHunter (Reply 71):
"Düsseldorf" would be an appropriate name!

I agree! See... painting the name "PEKING" on your third A380 doesn't give you a free ticket to serve PEK as you please.    Anyway, I would love to see "DÜSSELDORF" on their fourth A380.

Patrick

PlaneHunter
Topic Author

Thu Nov 18, 2010 7:21 am

Quoting JetBlue777 (Reply 72):
That was an amazing trip report! Definitely one of the best ones here in A.net!
Anyways, wonderful wonderful pictures, one of the best reports ever!

Hi Jezrel, thanks a lot for your feedback! Great to hear!

I seem to notice that the PTVs are kinda small; however; the seats looks quite comfortable and the colors are truly LH!

Yes, the interior is quite nice. However, it's not my favorite A380 cabin.

I hope they fly their 380s to JFK by next summer, I would love to be on LH's A380. AF flies their A380 here in JFK but I'm Star member, so LH is a better choice

I doubt that LH will send the A380 to JFK next summer, but we'll see. If not, you can take AF. Should be a nice experience, too.

Quoting Sabena332 (Reply 73):
Unfortunately not. I'll meet some of the BVB guys tomorrow at the game vs. the HSV, maybe I'll get more details there. But no hectic... the game is today in one month, lots of time left to clear things up.

Hi Patrick, any news? The BVB guys should be in good mood in these days. Any idea about the airline?

I agree! See... painting the name "PEKING" on your third A380 doesn't give you a free ticket to serve PEK as you please.

No, but I'm sure it will please many Chinese customers.

Anyway, I would love to see "DÜSSELDORF" on their fourth A380.

The fourth has been named "Tokio", the next one will be named "Johannesburg". I guess we will see "Düsseldorf" on a 748.

PH

Sabena332

Thu Nov 18, 2010 7:05 pm

Quoting PlaneHunter (Reply 74):
Hi Patrick, any news? The BVB guys should be in good mood in these days. Any idea about the airline?

I have no news so far. I was in the stadium last Friday and I met the BVB guys there but we didn't talk about the trip to SVQ. We were busy with celebrating the victory against the HSV.   I just read on the website of the BEST travel agency that the flight is completely booked out but I am not sure if the mean the team charter or just a special flight for fans down to SVQ. I'll try to get more information next week. I am also sure that our tickets (for both plane and stadium) will arrive here at the beginning of December. I'll keep you updated!

Quoting PlaneHunter (Reply 74):
The fourth has been named "Tokio", the next one will be named "Johannesburg". I guess we will see "Düsseldorf" on a 748.

I don't like that Lufthansa is giving their planes names of foreign cities now. Where is the good old tradition to give them names of German cities? And yes, their fourth A380 arrived on Tuesday evening at FRA from HAM.

Patrick

PlaneHunter
Topic Author

Mon Nov 22, 2010 7:21 pm

Quoting Sabena332 (Reply 75):
I just read on the website of the BEST travel agency that the flight is completely booked out but I am not sure if the mean the team charter or just a special flight for fans down to SVQ. I'll try to get more information next week. I am also sure that our tickets (for both plane and stadium) will arrive here at the beginning of December. I'll keep you updated!

Alright, thanks for the update! Try to convince them that it's entirely positive to post a report here.  

Quoting Sabena332 (Reply 75):
I don't like that Lufthansa is giving their planes names of foreign cities now. Where is the good old tradition to give them names of German cities?

The tradition still exists, the vast majority of LH planes will always be named after German cities. LH simply introduced an additional category of names - which, btw, is also more convenient than transferring numerous names from existing 744s. I really like the idea of naming the A380s after destinations/Star Alliance hubs served by the bird.

PH

petitechoux

Tue Dec 07, 2010 12:19 am

i am the furthest thing from an airbus fan, but this looks fantastic.

I may have to switch it up a bit..  

zalemam

Tue Dec 07, 2010 12:30 am

Awesome Report! Hope to one day fly in the A380.

9MMAR

Sun Dec 19, 2010 7:54 pm

Thank you U for linking this wonderful trip report of yours with my recent trip report. I find it very fascinating that both you and I had the same exact feeling prior to boarding the giant aircraft 'manually'. You are very lucky as despite both our flights were 90+ minutes in duration, your first A380 experience was on a specially organised flight on the aircraft's very first revenue flight, while mine was just an ordinary scheduled flight.

NZ107

Mon Dec 20, 2010 10:43 am

Quoting PlaneHunter (Reply 65):
Sounds good! Upper deck means Premium Economy...or even Business?

Sorry, I guess I haven't looked back at this TR since.. Plans changed since NZ changed the destination of the inaugural 77W to MEL.. So I'm taking the 772 back from SYD instead of another 744! Hopefully that'll be interesting.. At least I'll get a new type.

PlaneHunter
Topic Author

Fri Dec 24, 2010 11:00 am

Quoting petitechoux (Reply 77):
i am the furthest thing from an airbus fan, but this looks fantastic.

Good to hear, thanks!

Quoting zalemam (Reply 78):
Awesome Report! Hope to one day fly in the A380.

Many thanks, Zaid!

Quoting 9MMAR (Reply 79):
Thank you U for linking this wonderful trip report of yours with my recent trip report.

Hi Azizul, thanks for your kind feedback!

Quoting 9MMAR (Reply 79):
I find it very fascinating that both you and I had the same exact feeling prior to boarding the giant aircraft 'manually'.

Quoting NZ107 (Reply 80):
Plans changed since NZ changed the destination of the inaugural 77W to MEL.. So I'm taking the 772 back from SYD instead of another 744! Hopefully that'll be interesting.. At least I'll get a new type.

At least you get a new type. And hey, didn't NZ upgrade you on the LAX-AKL flight?

PH