Globetraveller

RE: This Suite Has Sliding Doors: Emirates F DXB-JNB

Thu Sep 09, 2010 5:02 am

Hi Roni.

Another excellent TR with some amazing pictures. The first picture in particular is just stunning - probably my favourite TR picture of this year. Wow - the colours are just beautiful.

I completely agree with your analysis at the end of the report: in First, it is the crew that make the difference between a good and a great product.

Hope to see you soon! Let me know about your upcoming trip.

Globetraveller

ronerone
Topic Author

Thu Sep 09, 2010 9:09 am

Quoting concordechild (Reply 44):
will try and dig for some photos which i am sure i took.

That would be great concordechild!

Quoting abrelosojos (Reply 46):
Thanks for the report on FCL at EK.

Hey Alex,

Welcome to my side of the forum  
Quoting abrelosojos (Reply 46):
I haven't tried their FCL product - but perhaps can do it on the 380 next week - let's see if I can get a competitive priced MRU-DXB-LHR-GRU.

You hate EK! Why are you flying them again? haha

Quoting globalflyer (Reply 47):
I am flying EK412 to AKL next week so I will be curious to see if it is late...surely hope not! Again a brilliant report.

Hi globalflyer,

Expect a departure time between 10:45 and 11:00 for this flight. While i haven't checked the status for every single EK 412 flight, the many that i did check never left on time.

Burt arrival into Sydney and Auckland is usually always on time  
Quoting United_fan (Reply 48):
Wow,quite an amazing TR. Very well done!

Thanks for your comments United_fan. Glad you enjoyed.

Quoting tk747 (Reply 49):
You deserve every compliment that you get, amazing stuff once again! Dubai Airport has such an energy and your pictures capture it so well

Thanks tk747!

Quoting tk747 (Reply 49):
When they get everything right they are a great airline.

I totally agree!

Quoting globetraveller (Reply 50):
Another excellent TR with some amazing pictures. The first picture in particular is just stunning - probably my favourite TR picture of this year. Wow - the colours are just beautiful.

Heya Globetraveller!

Good to hear from you my friend, and thanks for stopping by  
Quoting globetraveller (Reply 50):
Hope to see you soon! Let me know about your upcoming trip.

Will do for sure!

Cheers,
Roni
Fly Roni. Aviation Journeys. Photos. Videos.

United_fan

Thu Sep 09, 2010 12:17 pm

ronerone,I did not know that alcohol was allowed in the UAE,I do now.
"Suspicion is a matter of opinion"

NZ107

Thu Sep 09, 2010 12:37 pm

Hi Roni,

About time I got around to commenting..  

Tremendous report! I'm really out of superlatives too, similar to Airpearl but there sometimes isn't any need to mention this in front of every single reply to your TRs! Maybe I'll just get onto commenting next time   Pictures are excellent as usual.

Quoting ronerone (Reply 1):
The Emirates FIDS at DXB are practically a temple in which I must regularly pay my respects to

Look, you could have caught a flight down under with a selection on either side of your flight!

As I was approaching the agent at the check-in counter, another fellow passenger travelling on one of Emirates' 100+ destinations today, figured he could cut through the queue and snag my turn. Without any effort on my part, the Filipina agent took her action immediately.

"Hi sir, I am so sorry, but this kind gentleman has been waiting in line several moments before you, I will be with you as soon as I check him in."

Serves him right. What makes him think he can get away with that? People don't even do that in Economy..

Minus the décor and the funky smells, for a moment I thought I was at the fish market on a Friday morning. It was noisy, people were pushing their ways through, and it was quite uncomfortable. For once, I actually could not wait to reach the lounge.

Interesting description. It does seem quite crowded.

By all means, this lounge is an absolute jaw-dropper. There is nothing here that you would not find in the lobby of one of the best 5-star hotels. Moreover, the space is massive, and it offers everything from showers, a spa, a business center, bedrooms, a library, a wine cellar, several café's each offering a selection of food, a full restaurant-style dining area, a few bars here and there, children's playrooms, more than ample seating areas, and a very elegant smoking lounge.

I don't think there has been a previous report done on the F lounge at DXB? It sure looks fantastic and so much less crowded than the J lounge which seems to divert from what lounges are supposed to be like. I could easily spend 12 hours in there.. Just give me a F ticket and a long transit  
Food offering at this station

They look like Krispy Kremes!

Another customary visit at the EK FIDS temple

Haha, there's one in the F lounge too - good thing it's portable and always on your laptop if you have internet access  
Quoting ronerone (Reply 2):
At my suite, I am seated in my large leather bulkhead at 1A

1A, who wouldn't grab the chance to jump into this seat!

A large and perfectly laundered white pillow is placed on every seat, while a set of linens and duvet blankets are placed in a corner right behind you. On your side lies the infamous mini-bar, all stacked with an empty glass, soft drinks, water, and juice, in addition to the usual in-seat controller. At the mini 'desk' in front of the seat is a pop-out vanity mirror with a personal kit that includes the usual lotions and lip balms, and to your right is a small drawer specifically for your very own writing kit. Not only could I make myself comfortable on this long-haul flight, but I think I may manage living here for good!

Wow, what a thorough description! Now I know what it actually feels like to sit down in one having briefly glimpsed over it at the end of my first EK A380 flight. There's a massive difference between looking at it and actually sitting down in it!

Next in line with the in-flight service delivery, was Jurgen, who distributed slippers and eyeshades. Unfortunately, it was at that moment when I learned that no amenity kits in Emirates First Class are offered on daytime flights of this length! Sure enough, many airlines had subscribed to the 'no amenity kits in Business Class' club -and I am just beginning to adapt to this new concept- however since when was First Class on the chops too? Ouch!

Oh dear. How much more is it to give an amenity kit to F passengers when they pay so much.. Well Skywards members who upgrade indirectly do!

FIFA Butter

Gosh, they go to all that trouble. I wonder if they're prepared to make little rugby balls (using NZ butter..!) for the Rugby World Cup next year!  

Where is the caviar? Is it reserved only for the longer of the flights?

I had a limousine service booked on arrival, to transport me to the Southern Sun OR Tambo Airport Hotel, which is barely several meters away from the terminal building. However, it was a little difficult at first to find where I could find anyone responsible for this Emirates' service, and the information desk proved to be of very little help.

LOL nice use of the system!

Thanks again, yes your conclusion wraps it up very nicely. Although I haven't flown J very much at all, I can see from other peoples' TRs (including yours) how much difference a warm and inviting crew can make. I guess that'll be something for me to try out sometime in the future!

Regards,
Nicholas
It's all about the destination AND the journey.

ronerone
Topic Author

Thu Sep 09, 2010 5:24 pm

Quoting United_fan (Reply 52):

It sure is United_fan.

Quoting NZ107 (Reply 53):
About time I got around to commenting..  

Thanks for stopping by Nicholas  
Look, you could have caught a flight down under with a selection on either side of your flight!

Now, speaking of down under, a trip to AUS/NZ is sounding so nice with the 'Etihad Partnership' .. I shall wait until next year though when VAus flies to AUH  
They look like Krispy Kremes!

That is very true actually! I wonder if they really are from there.

Where is the caviar? Is it reserved only for the longer of the flights?

I haven't noticed really since i am not a caviar person, but now that some have pointed this out, i guess it may have gotten the boot off some flights.

LOL nice use of the system!

I felt a little silly afterwards, because i could have literally walked there. the ride didn't last 30 seconds LOL.

Cheers,
Roni

United_fan

Thu Sep 09, 2010 6:59 pm

Quoting ronerone (Reply 54):
Quoting United_fan (Reply 52):

It sure is United_fan

I wasn't sure. I know some countries it is not allowed,and some it is only allowed in hotels.
"Suspicion is a matter of opinion"

NZ107

Thu Sep 09, 2010 10:38 pm

Now, speaking of down under, a trip to AUS/NZ is sounding so nice with the 'Etihad Partnership' .. I shall wait until next year though when VAus flies to AUH

Sounding good! Foregoing an EY A345/6 for a VA 77W?  

I felt a little silly afterwards, because i could have literally walked there. the ride didn't last 30 seconds LOL.

Haha, well you gave someone a job! I wonder if you could have asked for a mini tour such as a ride around the airport and back!

b707forever

Fri Sep 10, 2010 10:17 am

What a great report and now I'm looking forward to Abrelosojos counter!

N178UA

Sun Sep 12, 2010 7:38 am

Hey Roni!

I am in love with your opening pictures of your TR. I will forward this to the local Emirates PR agency see if they want to use it !

Cheers

Sam
For more of myself and my flight reviews visit http://www.SamChui.com

vivekman2006

Sun Sep 12, 2010 4:08 pm

Another brilliant trip report, Roni! The pictures are simply fantastic!

Quoting ronerone (Thread starter):
On each flight of late, someone has to ask!
"The pictures you're taking, are these for a magazine or for yourself?"

I was asked the exact same question on my EK flight from DXB to BOM.  
Without any effort on my part, the Filipina agent took her action immediately.

Good job on her part!

As with Terminal 1, I was released into the large shopping mall of a Duty Free hall in Terminal 3.

T-3 at DXB looks more like a shopping mall and less like an airport terminal.

have tried the Emirates Bloody Mary in Economy Class before, and I have judged the airline's ability in that area since then; it was horrible. But today, my opinion has changed for the more positive. It was spiced with a more balanced amount of ingredients, and most importantly, the vodka was not overkill (too much vodka covers the 'salt-ish-tomato-ish' flavor that makes this drink so great!).

That's it! I am going into the kitchen right now, and making a Bloody Mary for myself 
Mobile phone storage?

Looks more like storage for spectacles.

May I also have the raspberry crumble cake?"

Looks really delicious!

Emirates overall has a decent product, and it really does depend on the flight you are on. This is just how we have to look at it. One thing is for sure, and that Emirates offers one of the best on-the-ground products I have experienced.

Completely agree with you. I felt the exact same thing reading previous reports on EK and from my own experience with them.

Cheers,
Vivek

ronerone
Topic Author

Wed Sep 15, 2010 4:08 pm

Quoting NZ107 (Reply 56):
Sounding good! Foregoing an EY A345/6 for a VA 77W?

I really have been doing a lot of Boeing lately, and not enough Airbus! That is very unlike me!

But a VA 77W has always sounded quite enticing. Now when FFP's are involved, it sounds even nicer.
I do wonder if this partnership will be approved though, given QF's power in Canberra and all.

Quoting b707forever (Reply 57):
What a great report

Thanks b707forever! Glad you enjoyed  
Quoting N178UA (Reply 58):
I am in love with your opening pictures of your TR. I will forward this to the local Emirates PR agency see if they want to use it !

Thanks for your comments Sam!

Hope we can do some crazy flying again soon!  
Quoting vivekman2006 (Reply 59):
Another brilliant trip report, Roni! The pictures are simply fantastic!

Thanks Vivek!

I was asked the exact same question on my EK flight from DXB to BOM.

I just read that in your TR! .. Funny, as i was asked the same thing again on my last EK flight the other day! Must be something about magazines and EK!

T-3 at DXB looks more like a shopping mall and less like an airport terminal.

It is quite an unpleasant experience when the terminal is packed, which is say 3 times every day. For a single-terminal design, i think HKG beats them all as you will not feel the sheer volume of traffic that passes through.

Cheers,
Roni

NZ107

Thu Sep 16, 2010 4:28 am

Quoting ronerone (Reply 60):
I really have been doing a lot of Boeing lately, and not enough Airbus! That is very unlike me!

But a VA 77W has always sounded quite enticing. Now when FFP's are involved, it sounds even nicer.
I do wonder if this partnership will be approved though, given QF's power in Canberra and all.

Haha, I'm probably the other way around right now! All Boeing to Australia next year though.

I heard you're soon on another EK A380 flight too! That might soothe those nerves of yours  

Well I guess once you get to SYD, you can always cross the Tasman in a more familiar fashion (ie EK A380  ) although I know you'd much rather fly something that you can't get too easily in your area! LA A343, AR A342, QF A332, JQ A320 and NZ A320 are the other Airbus options available for trans-Tasman right now seeing the A345s will be pulled soon. And they will be sorely missed!

It's more of a codeshare than anything though, right? At least QF don't fly this route themselves so they probaby wouldn't care as much about this than say the DL tie-up or the one with NZ.

Cheers,
Nicholas

ronerone
Topic Author

Thu Sep 16, 2010 6:10 am

Quoting NZ107 (Reply 61):
I heard you're soon on another EK A380 flight too! That might soothe those nerves of yours

LOL my beans have been spilled!.. but i am afraid its turning into too much EK!  
Well I guess once you get to SYD, you can always cross the Tasman in a more familiar fashion (ie EK A380 ) although I know you'd much rather fly something that you can't get too easily in your area! LA A343, AR A342, QF A332, JQ A320 and NZ A320 are the other Airbus options available for trans-Tasman right now seeing the A345s will be pulled soon. And they will be sorely missed!

If it is on the EY Partnership, it will have to be that, all the way past the Tasman. Does DJ do runs between AUS and NZ?

It's more of a codeshare than anything though, right? At least QF don't fly this route themselves so they probaby wouldn't care as much about this than say the DL tie-up or the one with NZ.

It seems to be a little more than that. EY will have access to Virgin Blue/V Australia/Pacific Blue 's entire network (and vv). I think what they are aiming for is something along the lines of KLM / Northwest back in the day. And QF has already objected to this, so i would assume this would be rejected in the first phase or so.

Cheers,
Roni

NZ107

Thu Sep 16, 2010 8:03 am

Quoting ronerone (Reply 62):
LOL my beans have been spilled!..

Haha, destination's safe with me   I wish I was going there too!

Does DJ do runs between AUS and NZ?

They do but they're threatening to pull out of the Tasman entirely if the alliance with NZ doesn't go through. Nothing wrong with getting another return airfare across the ditch (as we like to call it) and only flying with DJ/VA to Aussie..

And QF has already objected to this, so i would assume this would be rejected in the first phase or so.

Nothing's going for them.. It's quite sad really how the government can have such a big say to protect its flagship carrier.. I guess we'll have to wait and see if this goes through or else you might be flying EY or EK to Australia and onwards with some other airline  

Cheers,
Nicholas

RJAF

Mon Sep 20, 2010 8:03 pm

Not a bad report Roni

I was really thrilled to go through the amazing details in your report. I'm truly amazed.

If I was EK, I would give you free tickets for life!

Well done.

Cheers from Amman
Chance favors the prepared mind

ronerone
Topic Author

Wed Sep 22, 2010 6:39 am

Quoting RJAF (Reply 64):
Not a bad report Roni

I was really thrilled to go through the amazing details in your report. I'm truly amazed.

Hi RJAF!

Great to hear from you, and thank you for stopping by.

Quoting RJAF (Reply 64):
If I was EK, I would give you free tickets for life!

Then i wish you were EK  

Cheers,
Roni