Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

akhmad
Topic Author

Finally Asia Part 2: Up To Semarang With Mandala

Sat Sep 11, 2010 9:53 pm

INTRODUCTION

Dear fellow A.netters,

Each time my partner and I visit Indonesia, we include two immediate destinations in our itinerary which are Bandung, my mother’s hometown, and Semarang, my birthplace. This holiday was no exception.

During our layover in Kuala Lumpur, we had a great time with fellow A.netter Airpearl. Allow me to invite you to visit Finally Asia Part 1: A.net Meeting And BDO With QZ (by akhmad Sep 4 2010 in Trip Reports)

ONLINE BOOKING

Mandala

Thanks to our great experience two years ago, we decided to fly Mandala again to Semarang, my birthplace. For this purpose, we were watching out for her promotion until one day RI released the smart fare offer.

I notified my partner about it and he just said, “Book it!”
However after some clickings, we ended up paying more than twice IDR 1,000.
Although RI advertisements nowadays display all-in fares, at the time of our booking RI did not pursued such yet. In our case, there would be another IDR 493,000 to force the up the price! But anyway, no matter how disproportional it might look like, we were still happy to pay IDR 495,000 (about EUR 42).

While dealing with the RI booking engine, I observed the following changes after two years.

In cooperation with a local underwriting agency, RI conducts its own branded travel insurance Mandala Plus Guard. Once you get to your booking quotation, the total price will be automatically marked up with the insurance. You just have to be aware of it and make your decision before proceeding to settle down the bill.

Further on, on the contrary to our previous booking back in 2008, the system did not accept credit card issued outside Indonesia anymore. Instead, the international customers are required to make payments with PayPal.

Eager to fly with RI, I applied for a PayPal account before eventually finalizing our booking. Well, it was not such a big deal about using PayPal. In fact, I did not expect that PayPal could be so easy.

As a final note on the customer service side, if you send an e-mail inquiry through the input mask on RI website, you will be provided a reference number to follow your inquiry status online.

About three weeks before our departure date, we found out that our departure time has been retimed from 16.35 to 17.45. I was not really happy with that as my chances of decent window view in-flight simply evaporated due to the fact that we would be flying in darkness.

One week before our departure, I received the following message from RI on my mobile phone. ‘Your flight time has been retimed to 17.45. Our sincere apology for the inconvenience. Please contact our call center for further inquiry.’ The message ended with the phone number of RI’s Indonesian call centre.

I told my partner about the message. We could not really figure out the need of calling the call centre, but decided to follow it up anyway.

RI call centre was surprisingly easy to access. After choosing preferred language and dialing another digit to get directed to the right department, I got a RI lady on the phone in the matter of seconds.

Before getting a chance to go any further, the RI lady got me showered with questions.
“Could you please tell me on which mobile phone number you have received the notification?”
I passed my mobile number to the lady.
“Which e-mail address have you been submitted for your booking?”
I spelled our e-mail address for her.
“Could you please tell me your PNR and the names of the passengers traveling on the itinerary?”
She got the details she needed.
“Which cities are involved in your itinerary?”
“Jakarta to Semarang,” I said.
“Thank you. Could you please wait a moment, please?”
By that time, I got the feeling that she might proceed with questions like:
‘What will be your aircraft type?’
‘Which registration will it be?’
‘Can you tell me its first delivery date?’   

Fortunately there were no more other questions. The RI lady was apparently satisfied with our answers.
“I am sorry for the inconvenience you may experience after the reschedule of your flight, Sir. Do you want me to rebook you and your travel companion to another flight?”
Since RI only had one early morning flight on our departure day which meant that we would have to miss our extensive breakfast at Hilton, we decided to stick to our existing itinerary.
“No, thank you. We are fine with our itinerary,”
“All right, Sir. I have made a reconfirmation of the following flight for you. RI 294 leaving on Thursday at 17.45. You can bring along your former e-ticket printout as you are still travelling on the same PNR,”
“Thank you for your information,”
“I hope you will enjoy your flight. Thank you for flying with Mandala,”
“Thank you,”
‘What a nice lady!’ I thought while hanging up. I could not fault her. With all the questions, she just wanted to make sure that she was dealing with an authorized person to our booking.

Novotel Semarang

Novotel Semarang has been our sanctuary during our visit to Semarang in 2005 and 2008. And again in 2010!

I must say, Accor group does a great job by keeping on developing their global online booking engine to her guests’ advantage. For instance, unlike our experience in 2008, you can access your booking detail with a single reference number through any input mask of Accor brands.

We secured a double Executive room for two nights at IDR 883,000 (about EUR 76) during Early Brakes promotion. Our booking confirmation was promptly delivered upon credit card authorization.

The following day, front-office lady Devi confirmed our request for free airport pick-up. Novotel Semarang never disappointed us on this.  

Welcome to the second part of my trip report series Finally Asia

On this thread, you will find our adventure at Jakarta Soekarno-Hatta airport’s new Terminal 3, our RI flight to Semarang, our stay at Novotel Semarang and a mini non-aviation trip report from Bandung to CGK.
There is no deity except You. Exalted are You. Indeed, I have been of the wrongdoers.

akhmad
Topic Author

RE: Finally Asia Part 2: Up To Semarang With Mandala

Sat Sep 11, 2010 10:00 pm

ROAD TRIP

Getting to CGK from Bandung is quite a task. You can take the one and only early morning flight of a local airline Susi Air to Jakarta’s secondary airport and continuing your trip on the road to CGK. Or booking yourself into an airport shuttle of a travel agent. We did the latest and Cipaganti got our business.

The airport shuttle service of Cipaganti departs from several designated points. One of them is Bandung Trade Centre Pasteur. To get there, we had to catch a taxi from our hotel. We left during the morning rush hour.

For our convenience, the taxi driver advised us a detour through the airport to reach Pasteur as there were traffic jams on the main roads. I did not mind the detour as we would be driving along the runway. Unfortunately, the runway area was fenced off by nasty barb wires which made me difficult to shoot..

Abandoned Adam Air B732 with the blue hangar D of PT Dirgantara Indonesia destroyed by a crash landing last year

Cipaganti

The airport shuttle with departure time 10.00 was about to leave, when our taxi pulled in. But still we managed to secure the last two tickets and got on the shuttle.

Ticket counter

My ticket

Departure screen

Our shuttle left at 10.10. I kept looking back several times while the glimpse of Bandung was disappearing behind the horizon. To be honest, I found it harder this time to leave my mother.  

Interior

Our vehicle

Actually I did not have the intention to write a non-aviation trip report. Therefore I made only few shots of our road trip to CGK. Please do let me know if you want me to include more of this kind.

AT THE AIRPORT

After nearly three and a half hour, we entered the CGK area.

Cathay Pacific B77W docked at Terminal 2A

TERMINAL 3

Facade

We were dropped off at 13.45. Inaugurated in April 2009, Terminal 3 boasts a futuristic and environment friendly design.

Arrival Terminal

Terminal curbside

Visitors’ entrance

Arrival exit

View towards departure area at the far end

I did not expect this terminal would allow you a closer look at Terminal 2C. Just after walking pass the arrival exit towards the fence, see what I got.

Terminal 2C

The view would have been better without staircases or from a higher level, I will show you further on this thread.

Departure Terminal

Curbside

Arcade

Ticketing offices

At the moment, there are only two airlines operating from Terminal 3.

Indonesia Air Asia

RI

Terminal map

Departure entrance

At all Indonesian airports, you have to pass through the security to enter the check-in area. One advantage of traveling domestic is that no liquid restriction applies.

Security was painless as we were practically the only ones. We were inside at 14.15.

Check-in area overview

RI check-in desks

sole Mandala Priority check-in desk

QZ check-in desks

Check-in area from another angle

Unfortunately, the desks for SRG flight would just be opened at 15.00. We soon found out that there was no access to any cafe or restaurant from the check-in area. Luckily we still got something to nibble on.

Check-in

At 15.00, two desks assigned for SRG flight were opened. Short queues were already forming. We lined up for Counter 23 where one person before us was being attended.

Counter 23

Soon, we were called forward.
“Good afternoon, Sir. How many persons are traveling?” The RI check-in agent asked.
“There are two of us,” I replied while handing over our documents.
“Do you have any luggage?”
“Yes. Just one.” I put our suitcase on the scale and noticed 20 kilograms.
“Can we get assigned emergency exit row seats?”
“Certainly, Sir,” The agent nodded.
She returned our documents together with our boarding passes.

My boarding pass

Interesting classification

“You have got assigned row 13. Your flight will be leaving from Zone 6. Please be ready at the gate at 17.15. You can pay the passenger service charges at the counter at the left end of yours. Could you please tag your hand luggage?”

Hand luggage tag

“Have a nice flight,”
“Thank you,”

In Indonesia, the passenger service charges are collected separately. The amounts depend on basically two things. Firstly, international gateways charge more than the secondary airports. Secondly, reduced tariffs apply for domestic passengers.

PSC counters

Domestic tariff at IDR 40,000 (about EUR 4)

Upon payment, a bar-coded PSC sticker was pasted on each of our boarding passes. Through the sliding doors, we entered the secured public area.

Signage above the sliding doors

Secured public area

Meeting point area

FIDS

Close up

Information desk

We made our way upstairs.

Escalators

Long corridor with high ceiling

Terminal 3 master plan

Shopping arcade

Left side

Right side

We dropped by at one of the cafes on the left side for well deserved glasses of cold Bintang beer.

We preferred Hikaru Café to Starbucks

During our stay at Hikaru, I went checking out some spotting opportunities. Well, I was not disappointed.

Public area spotting session

Home of Garuda Indonesia

PK-GEM, formerly Ryanair EI-CSO

GA’s old and new livery

GA B735

After finishing our beer, we proceeded to the passenger area.

Before security and ID check

Then we experienced striking procedure we never saw elsewhere. Firstly, a first agent took a quick look at our passports and scrutinized our boarding passes before scanning the bar-coded PSC sticker. Then a bit further up, a second agent went through our boarding passes again. Finally, we were waived to pass the security. Again no liquid restriction applied here.

The whole process was quick though. We were in the passenger area after five minutes .

Passenger area

Right after security

FLIGHT STATUS

Our itinerary:
Route: CGK-SRG
Date: 5 August 2010
ETD/ATD: 17.45 / 17.55
ETA/ATA: 18.40 / 18.50
Flight number: RI 294
Plane: Airbus 320-232
Delivered: First delivered 8 July 2008 to Kingfisher Red
First Officer: Captain Argoseno

Our zone

Information screen

Overview

Holding area

Each zone has its own self-service drink machine.

Self-service machine

Smoking lounge nearby zone 6

As we had more than half an hour to kill, I decided to do another spotting round. My partner was joining me not long after.

Passenger area overview from another angle

Huge window with tarmac view

Passenger area spotting session

Taxiway movements

Terminal 2B overview

Lion Air B739ER next to GA B744

GA B735 old livery just landed

PK-GEM taking off

RI A319 just landed

QZ A320 just landed

PK-GFC, just delivered factory fresh a week earlier

Merpati B733

KLM B77W just arrived from Kuala Lumpur

Our ride PK-RML arrived at 17.15

I just loved Terminal 3. ‘Time really flies when you are having fun,’ I thought at the moment.

Boarding

As we returned to our zone, the boarding preparation was underway. We were assigned gate C.

Gate C

No one seemed to wait for a boarding announcement as everyone just stood up and gathering, not queuing, around the gate. The gate was getting more crowded as soon as the boarding announcement came up. Luckily we were on the right place at the right time so that we could get attended pretty quick. One passenger was trying to cut the line from my left, but I quickly blocked his way. Well, I experienced one of the advantages of working out at the gym! 

The gate agent tore our boarding passes and returned the bigger stubs. We made our way downstairs to the tarmac.

Going down

Sister ship PK-RMK was joining the party

Glimpse of an airside spotting place

PK-RMK

PK-RML

Signage for passengers heading to SRG

Going up

Before entrance
There is no deity except You. Exalted are You. Indeed, I have been of the wrongdoers.

akhmad
Topic Author

Sat Sep 11, 2010 10:04 pm

ON BOARD

Flight attendant Yumi greeted us at the door and waived us through.

Cabin view during boarding

Blowing air conditioner

Our row

My seat 13F

Legroom

Advertisement of RI’s international destinations

Let’s see what we got inside the seat pocket. There were a folded safety card, an in-flight magazine and an in-flight shopping guide.

Safety card

First page

Page 2 and 3

Last page

In-flight magazine

In-flight shopping guide

Window view

Boarding took a little while as 172 seats out of 180 was taken this time.

Boarding in progress

The doors finally closed at 17.45. An announcement followed which notified us that our flight time would be 50 minutes with the cruising altitude of 29,000 feet. The engines were turned on at 17.50. Pushback followed short after.

Taxiing

The safety demonstration was performed before PK-RML started to move. Another announcement was made right after, “Due to the safety regulations, cabin lights will be dimmed,”
‘Yes, exactly what I need,’ I figured out.  
After this announcement, a flight attendant went through the procedures for passengers seating in the emergency exit rows. Interestingly, it was only conducted in Indonesian.

Cabin view with the lights dimmed

Up to 07L-25R runway

We were second to this GA B73H

GA B744 lining behind us

Entering the runway

Lining on the runway

Taking off

After couple seconds, a full thrust applied to the engines and we thundered down the runway.

Powerful take-off run

Lift-off right after 18.05

CGK overview

Overview of northern Jakarta

Flying above Cumulus

Wingtip

In-flight

The fasten seat belt signs were switched off at 18.10. Just couple minutes later, we experienced a slight turbulence. Once we were leveled off, the cabin lights were illuminated. The buy on board service was conducted.

Neighbor view

Forward view

Backward view

It was time for an obligatory visit to the lavatory.

Lavatory

Somehow I realized that the Kingfisher Red’s legacy was still visible.

Lavatory door

Cabin view from the back

Closer look to my seat

Landing

At 18.35, an announcement was made that we were leaving our cruising altitude as we were about the land. Surprisingly, this announcement was finished with the following, “Please do remember that you will get sentenced to death penalty for drugs trafficking,”
Interesting as I heard a similar warning on our arrival in KUL with Qatar.

The fasten seat belt signs were illuminated. Flight attendant Anggerika noticed me keeping our DSLR camera bag under the seat in front of me.
“Could you please put your bag above in the overhead locker?” Anggerika asked.
“All right, but please be careful. We have got an expensive camera set inside,”
“No worries. I will keep them on the front right behind the locker door,”
The cabin lights were dimmed while Anggerika was still performing final checks throughout the cabin. While wandering through, she switched on the reading lights for passengers who needed it. What a nice touch! It reminds me at my Vueling flight last March from Barcelona to Amsterdam.  

Darkened cabin

On final approach

Touch down at 18.45

We were docked at 18.50.

Disembarking

Passengers’ rush

Above the staircase

Engine shot

akhmad
Topic Author

Sat Sep 11, 2010 10:08 pm

AT THE AIRPORT

What I like about SRG is that there are no bus transfers available. You just have to walk your own way on the tarmac to the terminal building.

GA B733 ready for departure to CGK

PK-GGV, a regular visitor to SRG. We have been on it as well two years ago

Arrival Terminal

Facade

Domestic entrance

The only two baggage belts are located directly on the left side after the entrance.

Baggage claim area

One baggage belt in operation for our flight

Inside the domestic baggage claim area of every Indonesian airport, you will find an airline agent walking around and checking people out after arrival whether they can show matching luggage tags with the ones on the luggage they collect. Interesting precaution.

We got processed by the agent in the matter of seconds. We made our way to the public area.

Signage

Our driver was already there holding a ‘Novotel’ paper. Apparently, there were two other upcoming guests having ordered the pick-up service. Once the other two showed up, the driver left to collect his taxi. We hit the road after another five minutes.

NOVOTEL SEMARANG

Our taxi pulled in at 19.10. The bell boys were ready to take the luggage out. Unlike the other two from our taxi, we took our belongings ourselves and proceeded to the lobby.

Check-in

Lobby

There were two reception desks available each of which was apparently still dealing with one guest. We got attended pretty soon.
“Welcome to Novotel, Sir. Do you have any reservation with us?” the friendly male receptionist asked.
“Yes, we do,” I replied while handing our booking confirmation printout and my passport.
“Please fill out the registration form while I am going to make a copy of your passport,”
As he left, his colleague appeared with two cups of sweetened ginger tea as our welcome drink.  
While sipping our tea, the receptionist returned and handed over our documents. “Your room number is 616. If you wish to visit our Executive Lounge, we have a happy hour from six until eight o’clock in the evening,”
“Thank you,” We quickly finished our tea and made our way upstairs as the clock showed 19.20.

Executive room

Double bed

Cupboard and writing table

In room sweet amuses

Bathroom

Bathroom amenity kit

Executive Lounge

The lounge is located right on the opposite of our room. After our two earlier visits, it was our first time to enter the Executive Lounge.
Cheerful Merry greeted us.
“Good evening, Sir. Welcome to our Executive Lounge. Please have a sit. Can I offer you anything to drink? Like fruit juices, beer or wine perhaps?”
“Can we have the wine, please?”
“Certainly. Do you want red or white wine?”
“Red wine, please,”
“Certainly,”
I took the opportunity to capture the lounge interior.

Couches area

Huge flat screen TV

EVENING BUFFET

Cold buffet

Mini salad bows, club sandwiches and yoghurt cups

Sweets and fruit area

Warm buffet

Coffee and tea corner

Sautéed mixed vegetables and simmered chicken wings

Fritters corner

The buffet offering was enough for us to have a nice dinner with accompaniment of the red wine.

My plate

At 20.00, we finished our dinner and left.

BREAKFAST BUFFET

A mini breakfast buffet is offered as well in the lounge. Executive room guests can have their breakfast in the lounge or in the restaurant.

Bread corner

Juice corner

Warm buffet

Square restaurant

Common breakfast is served at Square restaurant. Just like Hilton Bandung, there are separate Western and Asian buffets.

Common buffet

Juice corner

Fruit corner

Fruit and yogurt corner

Fruit basket

Egg corner

Western buffet

Bread corner

Cereal corner

Asian buffet

Chicken and fish fillets

Day menu with vegetables and noodle plates

Potato and rice corner

Indonesian warm sweet corner

Elixir corner

Posing with elixir lady

CONCLUSION

With the Novotel presentation, I put an end to the second part of this series.

RI remained a satisfactory with its user friendly booking interface, though enhanced direct payment acceptances would be more than welcomed.

I have to admit that Novotel missed the ‘Wow’ experience compared to Hilton Bandung. But still, it was a great hotel to stay in Semarang for the price we paid and with a supportive online facility, I will not hesitate to make a booking in the future.

I hope you enjoyed this thread as much as I was writing it. Please feel free to leave comments and suggestions.

Cheers,
Suryo

Burj

Sun Sep 12, 2010 2:05 am

Again great trip report! Thank you for taking us with you!

Quoting akhmad (Thread starter):

I was actually waiting for her to ask you how old you were and your marital status!

The Jakarta Airport looks modern and really nice and attractive architecture. I am curious why no jet bridges? Are there plans to add any in the future?

I'm also surprised that alcohol was so readily available. I guess I had just assumed alcohol would be hard to get since most of the population is Muslim.

Again thanks for all the great photos!

Burj

Sun Sep 12, 2010 2:07 am

Oh and what exactly is the elixir station? Is the elixir lady really short or are you just really tall?

They could use that photo of you as an ad... "Thanks to the Novatel Elixir I grew 10 cm during my stay!"

airpearl

Sun Sep 12, 2010 3:26 am

Hi Suryo, another sterling continuation of the epic Asia journey!   Thanks for this great next segment that features what looks like a decent Mandala Airlines. And also for the unique perspective on CGK's Terminal 3 which seems a fantastic place for spotting, especially for GA metal. The masterplan of what T3 will eventually look like is very impressive too! Does this terminal handle both domestic and international flights for the 2 airlines?

In cooperation with a local underwriting agency, RI conducts its own branded travel insurance Mandala Plus Guard. Once you get to your booking quotation, the total price will be automatically marked up with the insurance. You just have to be aware of it and make your decision before proceeding to settle down the bill.

Wow, that's quite a supplement! Is there a choice not to take the insurance? Otherwise, the advert would seem very misleading. Mandala is not alone - in this region lax advertising standards allow many carriers to do the same thing.

LOL... and wouldn't it be shocking if after answering her, she said: "Sorry Mr Akhmad, you've managed to only answer 2 of the 3 questions correctly. I'm afraid, we will have to cancel you reservations. Thank you for calling Mandala. Please try again."  
Then we experienced striking procedure we never saw elsewhere. Firstly, a first agent took a quick look at our passports and scrutinized our boarding passes before scanning the bar-coded PSC sticker. Then a bit further up, a second agent went through our boarding passes again. Finally, we were waived to pass the security. Again no liquid restriction applied here.

Quite a thorough check for a domestic flight. I find it interesting that the PSC sticker has to be bar-coded. I wonder if there had been many fake PSC stickers floating about before?

We made our way downstairs to the tarmac.

The ultimate new terminal - great spotting areas and boarding by stairs - was this designed by an A.netter?

Quoting burj (Reply 5):
They could use that photo of you as an ad... "Thanks to the Novatel Elixir I grew 10 cm during my stay!"

Look forward to your next installment  

Cheers
airpearl

FLIEGER67

Sun Sep 12, 2010 10:20 am

Hey, Suryo,

you should definitely travel more often!.
I like to follow you´re stories, really well done, superb pictures.
A perfect insight into Indonesian aviation these days.
Also you´re hotel pictures, a very good impression.

Best wishes,
Markus(FLIEGER67)
Tripreporter.net

Contact Air

Sun Sep 12, 2010 1:02 pm

Hi Suryo,

It was great to read another part of your Asia story, again with lots of excellent pictures. Terminal 3 of CGK looks like a great place to start your trip.

Further on, on the contrary to our previous booking back in 2008, the system did not accept credit card issued outside Indonesia anymore. Instead, the international customers are required to make payments with PayPal.

Strange - I have never heard of this in conjunction with an airline. As you say, it is no big deal to register at Paypal, but I would expect an airline with an international network to accept international credit cards as well.

During our stay at Hikaru, I went checking out some spotting opportunities. Well, I was not disappointed.
Passenger area spotting session

Good to read that CGK offers lots of great spotting facilities and that taking pictures was obviously no problem. In days where spotter-friendly airports become more and more rare it is nice to see that there are other examples as well.

Inside the domestic baggage claim area of every Indonesian airport, you will find an airline agent walking around and checking people out after arrival whether they can show matching luggage tags with the ones on the luggage they collect. Interesting precaution.

I have to say I find it a good thing - it prevents that anybody can collect any piece of luggage.

Regards
Christoph

abrelosojos

Sun Sep 12, 2010 2:35 pm

I loved the report Suryo. Thanks for taking us with you to your motherland. Also curious on how the price jumped up so much - though, the insurance is a standard practice on several carriers these days.

Finally, surprised at how nice CGK looks - I was last there in 2007 and it had a very different vibe to it.

Saludos,
A.
Live, and let live.

PlaneHunter

Sun Sep 12, 2010 3:18 pm

Hi Suryo,

another really impressive high-quality report, such a nice surprise to find a review of Mandala Airlines. Great to hear about the kind staff, seems to be a nice carrier. The hotel looks fine, too.

PH
Nothing's worse than flying the same reg twice!

akhmad
Topic Author

Sun Sep 12, 2010 6:51 pm

Dear fellows,

Many thanks for your replies. I really appreciate it.

@ Burj:

Quoting burj (Reply 4):
Again great trip report! Thank you for taking us with you!

You are welcome. It has been a pleasure.

Quoting burj (Reply 4):
I was actually waiting for her to ask you how old you were and your marital status!

LOL.  
Quoting burj (Reply 4):
I am curious why no jet bridges? Are there plans to add any in the future?

Well, I do not know about the future plans. But, don't you think it is better not having any jet bridge like now?

Quoting burj (Reply 4):
I'm also surprised that alcohol was so readily available. I guess I had just assumed alcohol would be hard to get since most of the population is Muslim.

Well, local beers are always available. Only spirits are hard to get.

Quoting burj (Reply 4):
Again thanks for all the great photos!

You are welcome. Glad you liked it.

Quoting burj (Reply 5):
Oh and what exactly is the elixir station? Is the elixir lady really short or are you just really tall?
Quoting burj (Reply 5):
"Thanks to the Novatel Elixir I grew 10 cm during my stay!"

Well, you have got the answer by yourself. 
No, just kidding. I stand 1.90 meter tall.

@ Airpearl:

Quoting airpearl (Reply 6):
Hi Suryo, another sterling continuation of the epic Asia journey!

Thank you.

Thanks for this great next segment that features what looks like a decent Mandala Airlines. And also for the unique perspective on CGK's Terminal 3 which seems a fantastic place for spotting, especially for GA metal.

You are welcome. I think you can spot more exotic birds during the international rush hour. Let's say after six in the evening.

Does this terminal handle both domestic and international flights for the 2 airlines?

At the moment, only domestic flights are served at this terminal. The international flights remain at Terminal 2.

Is there a choice not to take the insurance?

Yes, you just have to deselect it prior to the payment.

Quoting burj (Reply 5):
LOL... and wouldn't it be shocking if after answering her, she said: "Sorry Mr Akhmad, you've managed to only answer 2 of the 3 questions correctly. I'm afraid, we will have to cancel you reservations. Thank you for calling Mandala. Please try again."

I wonder if there had been many fake PSC stickers floating about before?

Me too. Indonesia should start collecting PSC at ticketing.

The ultimate new terminal - great spotting areas and boarding by stairs

was this designed by an A.netter?

I am not so sure, but I think the designer deserves an honour A.net membership.

@ Markus:

Quoting FLIEGER67 (Reply 7):
you should definitely travel more often!.

I would if my schedule fits.

Quoting FLIEGER67 (Reply 7):
I like to follow you´re stories, really well done, superb pictures.
A perfect insight into Indonesian aviation these days.

Thank you for your nice words. Glad you liked it.

@ Christoph:

Quoting Contact Air (Reply 8):
It was great to read another part of your Asia story, again with lots of excellent pictures

Thank you. It has been my pleasure to share it.

Terminal 3 of CGK looks like a great place to start your trip.

It was my first time in Terminal 3 and will definitely not be my last time.

but I would expect an airline with an international network to accept international credit cards as well.

Agreed. I keep wondering why the move to PayPal. PayPal should have been a third payment method after the credit card.

Good to read that CGK offers lots of great spotting facilities and that taking pictures was obviously no problem. In days where spotter-friendly airports become more and more rare it is nice to see that there are other examples as well.

Definitely. I never had any problem for taking pictures at Indonesian airports.

@ A.:

Quoting abrelosojos (Reply 9):
I loved the report Suryo. Thanks for taking us with you to your motherland.

Thank you. It has been pleasure to take you along my travel experience.

Also curious on how the price jumped up so much - though, the insurance is a standard practice on several carriers these days.

I forgot to mention that the insurance was not included in the fare we paid. The premium would have come at IDR 40,0000 (about EUR 4), so it might not have been a big deal as well.

I was last there in 2007 and it had a very different vibe to it.

Was it the trip you took with Adam Air? Or did you come over once again afterwards?

@ PH:

Quoting PlaneHunter (Reply 10):
another really impressive high-quality report, such a nice surprise to find a review of Mandala Airlines. Great to hear about the kind staff, seems to be a nice carrier. The hotel looks fine, too.

Thank you. Nice to know that you enjoyed it.

Thanks again for dropping by.

Cheers,
Suryo

Burj

Sun Sep 12, 2010 7:32 pm

Quoting akhmad (Reply 11):
Well, I do not know about the future plans. But, don't you think it is better not having any jet bridge like now?

For people like us not having jet bridges is great, but for most fliers jet bridges are a good thing. There are plenty of people who have an issue with stairs (old people, people with kids, etc...)

There is also the weather element, if it is really hot/cold/rainy/humid than having a jet bridge is really nice!

Sun Sep 12, 2010 11:22 pm

Hey, Suryo -

Another great report! Looks like you had a nice flight with Mandala. The inside of their A320 looks pretty nice!

After this announcement, a flight attendant went through the procedures for passengers seating in the emergency exit rows. Interestingly, it was only conducted in Indonesian.

This is really interesting!

Thanks for sharing,

Matthew (767747)
I love to fly!

Ryanair!!!

Mon Sep 13, 2010 12:26 am

Apa khabar Suryo...

I believe this could be the first report on airliners.net featuring Terminal 3 of CGK. I always thought this new terminal looked a little out of place. Plus, for all that effort put to build it, they could have added aero-bridges, no? Anyways, I never got the opportunity to use this terminal so at least now I can get a glimpse inside.

Mandala seems like a neat little outfit. I guess the previous "bule" management did wonders to turn them around and they seem to be "different" from the rest of the domestic carriers. Unfortunately the sweeping ban of ALL indonesian carriers from EU also covers Mandala, which I felt was a tad unfair. But then again, they do not fly to Europe so no biggie for them.

They recently started flights to Singapore but schedule wise it is a little difficult to fit them into my travels. If I am flying into Jakarta on leisure and have lots of time on my hands, I would not mind trying them out. I think their uniform for the cabin crew is awesome!
Welcome to my starry one world alliance, a team in the sky!

tk747

Mon Sep 13, 2010 12:58 am

HI Suryo,

I love all of your reports and this one is no exception. Jakarta domestic terminal looks much better than the international terminal. Looking forward to the next segment of your journey.

TK747

The777Man

Mon Sep 13, 2010 7:50 am

Hi Suryo! Another amazing trip report from you with amazing pictures! T3 in Jakarta looks great and so does Mandala. The aircraft looks clean and in good shape. The hotel looks very nice as wel.

The777Man
Boeing 777s flown: UA, TG, KE, BA, CX, NH, JD, JL, CZ, SQ, EK, NG, CO, AF, SV, KU, DL, AA, MH, OZ, CA, MS, SU, LY, RG, PE, AZ, KL, VN, PK, EY, NZ, AM, BR, AC, DT, UU, OS, AI, 9W, KQ, QR, VA, JJ, ET, TK, PR, BG, T5, CI, MU and LX.. Further to fly.. LH 777

debonair

Mon Sep 13, 2010 9:11 am

Thanks to our great experience two years ago, we decided to fly Mandala again

THANK YOU so much for this TR!
I was flying RI last year and I was totally shocked!  Wow!
Mandala Airline was the best airline, great new terminal in Jakarta, well trained crew, high safety standards and always on time- something unbelievable to see in Indonesia, especially after airlines like BATAVIA AIR, LION AIR, TRIGANA or even MERPATI! Something Mandala should immediately change is the on-board sale. This does not match the good impression, even Batavia Air is offering free water and a snack.

akhmad
Topic Author

Mon Sep 13, 2010 6:58 pm

Dear fellows,

Thanks for all your replies.

@ Burj:

Quoting burj (Reply 12):
There are plenty of people who have an issue with stairs (old people, people with kids, etc...)

I do not really know how they handle with passengers like old people or handicapped passengers. I assume some arrangements can be made for passengers with special needs.

Quoting burj (Reply 12):
There is also the weather element, if it is really hot/cold/rainy/humid than having a jet bridge is really nice!

In tropical countries like Indonesia, the weather element should not be a real problem. In case of rain, a bus can be called in or even an umbrella service like LCCT.

@ Matthew:

Quoting 767747 (Reply 13):
Another great report! Looks like you had a nice flight with Mandala. The inside of their A320 looks pretty nice!

Thank you. Glad you liked it.

Quoting 767747 (Reply 13):
Thanks for sharing,

You are welcome. It has been a pleasure.

@ Ryanair:

Quoting ryanair!!! (Reply 14):
Apa khabar Suryo...

Baik-baik. Kabarmu bagaimana?

Plus, for all that effort put to build it, they could have added aero-bridges, no?

According to the T3 master plan, I think they have the intention. As T3 is still serving two airlines, the facilities are sufficient.

Unfortunately the sweeping ban of ALL indonesian carriers from EU also covers Mandala, which I felt was a tad unfair. But then again, they do not fly to Europe so no biggie for them.

EU has lifted the ban for Batavia and Indonesia Air Asia, after Garuda and Mandala at earlier stage. Just follow this link

I think their uniform for the cabin crew is awesome!

Definitely! I just love the mandala pattern on their uniforms.

@ tk747:

Quoting tk747 (Reply 15):
I love all of your reports and this one is no exception.

Thank you. I am happy to hear that.

Quoting tk747 (Reply 15):
Jakarta domestic terminal looks much better than the international terminal.

I think the T3 has the best design of all. I will share you few impressions of T1 in my next installment.

@ Lars:

Quoting The777Man (Reply 16):
Hi Suryo! Another amazing trip report from you with amazing pictures! T3 in Jakarta looks great and so does Mandala. The aircraft looks clean and in good shape. The hotel looks very nice as wel.

Thank you so much. Glad you enjoyed it.

@ Debonair:

Quoting debonair (Reply 17):
THANK YOU so much for this TR!

You are welcome. It has been my pleasure to share it with you.

Mandala Airline was the best airline, great new terminal in Jakarta, well trained crew, high safety standards and always on time- something unbelievable to see in Indonesia, especially after airlines like BATAVIA AIR, LION AIR, TRIGANA or even MERPATI

Agreed.

Something Mandala should immediately change is the on-board sale.

Well, I do not mind the buy on board service. All items are reasonably priced. I would love to see Mandala introducing something like online check-in facility, advanced seat-selection and not less important, the payment facility using international credit cards.

Thanks again, all. I really appreciate your replies.

Cheers,
Suryo

infodesk

Tue Sep 14, 2010 3:19 pm

Hi Suryo,

Another nice installment of this series and interesting to see an insight into aviation in Indonesia. I'm quite impressed with Jakarta, particularly the check-in area looks smart.

Unusual, that an airlines won't accept foreign credit cards - but paypal is just as easy and convenient.

I'm intrigued by the smokers lounge with the message "Smoking Kills" plastered across the door. Here is Zurich they say "Smokers Welcome". Once someone came and complained that the lounge "smelt of smoke". Well, what do you expect it to smell of? Chocolate? Cheese?

Keep up the good work
Happy flying
Infodesk
"Do nothing in haste, look well to each step and from the beginning think what may be the end" - Edward Whymper

ronerone

Wed Sep 15, 2010 2:26 pm

Once again Suryo, you deliver an excellent TR! The pictures were fantastic!!!!!!

Mandala really seems like a great airline, and i think this is the first time i have seen a TR on them. Compared with what i have seen in TR's about others, i think Mandala seems to be the best one!

Moreover, Terminal 3 is really amazing! the curbside somewhat reminded me of Schiphol (perhaps it was the yellow signage?). It also has some great spotting opportunities, and those GA birds really looked quite striking!!!

Quoting akhmad (Reply 1):
Susi Air

Seriously? .. Quite a cute name!
I am quite fond of a lot of the Indonesian airline names such as Garuda, Merpati, Sriwijaya, Mandala .. and now cute little Susi!

Actually I did not have the intention to write a non-aviation trip report. Therefore I made only few shots of our road trip to CGK. Please do let me know if you want me to include more of this kind.

Actually, that would be great! I especially love the detailed hotel inclusions that you have in your TR! So keep it up!

Cheers,
Roni
Fly Roni. Aviation Journeys. Photos. Videos.

akhmad
Topic Author

Wed Sep 15, 2010 5:54 pm

Hi fellows,

Many thanks for your replies. I really appreciate it.

@ Hannah:

Quoting infodesk (Reply 19):
Another nice installment of this series and interesting to see an insight into aviation in Indonesia.

Thank you. Glad you enjoyed it.

I'm quite impressed with Jakarta, particularly the check-in area looks smart.

Me too. I think Terminal 3 has the most appealing check-in area of all terminals in Jakarta.

I'm intrigued by the smokers lounge with the message "Smoking Kills" plastered across the door. Here is Zurich they say "Smokers Welcome".

Amazing isn't it? While people smoke everywhere in Indonesia, and tobaccos are among the most important export commodities of the country.

Once someone came and complained that the lounge "smelt of smoke". Well, what do you expect it to smell of? Chocolate? Cheese?

Ridiculous indeed! The person should have been asking himself what he was actually doing there.

Keep up the good work

I am doing my best. Thank you.

@ Roni:

Nice to hear from you again! How was your trip to New York and your meet-up with Mark?

Quoting ronerone (Reply 20):
Once again Suryo, you deliver an excellent TR! The pictures were fantastic!!!!!!

Thank you.

Mandala really seems like a great airline, and i think this is the first time i have seen a TR on them.

Well, actually my very first posting on A.net was about Mandala.

Compared with what i have seen in TR's about others, i think Mandala seems to be the best one!

Definitely.

Moreover, Terminal 3 is really amazing! the curbside somewhat reminded me of Schiphol (perhaps it was the yellow signage?).

I have never seen it that way. But yes, you are right!

It also has some great spotting opportunities, and those GA birds really looked quite striking!!!

Perhaps an idea to do some domestic flights with Mandala or Air Asia?   

Actually, that would be great! I especially love the detailed hotel inclusions that you have in your TR! So keep it up!

Thank you. Good to know that. I will take into account for my following installment.

Dear fellows,

I have to rectify the details of Terminal 2.

Cathay Pacific B77W docked at Terminal 2A

at Terminal 2D

I did not expect this terminal would allow you a closer look at Terminal 2C. Just after walking pass the arrival exit towards the fence, see what I got.

Terminal 2C

Terminal 2F

Terminal 2B overview

Terminal 2E

I am sorry for the misinformation.

Suryo

vandenheuvel

Thu Sep 16, 2010 12:22 pm

Hello Suryo,

Nice to see you have uncovered another one of the secret airlines you were flying this summer. Mandala has always interested me. I didn't know they were Airbus only.

For our convenience, the taxi driver advised us a detour through the airport to reach Pasteur as there were traffic jams on the main roads.

Don't you think he was just aiming at some additional income? Last time this was said to me I simply took another taxi. Which drove over the supposed to be closed highway without any trouble.

Quoting akhmad (Reply 2):
My seat 13F

The interior of this plane appears to be very nice. I will like to fly this airline one day.

You coverage of the Novotel is great. Looks like a nice hotel. I can't wait till reading your following report of maybe your homebound flights??

Tim,

airbuseric

Thu Sep 16, 2010 3:14 pm

Hi Suryo,
thank you for this review on Mandala. Great carrier, I would say. Airport check-in, gate area, staff, interior on board. Everything looks very smart, clean and well-organized. Not something you would expect in Indonesia. It seems they make good progress, and it definitely stands out. So, being in Indonesia, I guess BOB menu prices are very low compared to the ones we're used to?
btw, pictures seems to get better and better every time again, you get good skills   

Regards
Eric
"The whole world steps aside for the man who knows where he is going"

akhmad
Topic Author

Thu Sep 16, 2010 6:02 pm

Hi fellows,

Many thanks for your replies.

@ Tim:

Quoting vandenheuvel (Reply 22):
Nice to see you have uncovered another one of the secret airlines you were flying this summer.

I have actually got more secrets to reveal.

I didn't know they were Airbus only.

RI disposed of her non-Airbus fleet last year.

Don't you think he was just aiming at some additional income?

Probably. But that time, it would have not made any difference. If you call in a taxi at your hotel in Bandung, you will have to pay a minimum rate of IDR 20,000 (about EUR 2) no matter how short the distance will be. You will just have to pay more if the taximeter exceeds IDR 20,000, which was not the case for our ride.

Mandala has always interested me.
I will like to fly this airline one day.

Make sure you fly Mandala domestically. I look forward to your report on this one! 

You coverage of the Novotel is great. Looks like a nice hotel.

Novotel Semarang really has a great value. I recommend it if you consider visiting Semarang one day.

of maybe your homebound flights??

I am only halfway my journey.   

@ Eric:

Quoting airbuseric (Reply 23):
thank you for this review on Mandala. Great carrier, I would say. Airport check-in, gate area, staff, interior on board. Everything looks very smart, clean and well-organized. Not something you would expect in Indonesia. It seems they make good progress, and it definitely stands out.

My pleasure, Eric. You should give Mandala a try next time you visit Indonesia and of course a visit to Terminal 3.

I guess BOB menu prices are very low compared to the ones we're used to?

I have snatched the Mandala inflight magazine. Therefore I can look it up. Let's see... 250 ml Coca Cola at IDR 15,000 (EUR 1,30) or Chicken Foccacia at IDR 28,000 (EUR 2,40).

btw, pictures seems to get better and better every time again, you get good skills

Thank you. Glad to know that from a fellow with eyes for photography.  

Thanks again. I really appreciate it.

Cheers,
Suryo

vandenheuvel

Thu Sep 16, 2010 6:22 pm

Quoting akhmad (Reply 24):
I am only halfway my journey.

It's nice to hear I can expect some more reports from this journey. I don't think I'll be traveling to Indonesia soon. If I will, I will definitely ask you for advice.

Considering the taxi fare was less than 2 Euro, you have little to worry about.

Burj

Thu Sep 16, 2010 8:26 pm

Quoting akhmad (Reply 24):
I have snatched the Mandala inflight magazine. Therefore I can look it up. Let's see...

"snacthed" is not a very pretty word....how about:

"I have *liberated* the Mandala inflight magazine. Therefore I can look it up. Let's see..."

Doesn't that sound better, almost heroic? I mean I'm sure the inflight magazine prefers a life with you over being stuck in a smelly seat back pocket only to be discarded at the end of the month...

Wink

[Edited 2010-09-16 13:27:37]

ojas

Sat Sep 18, 2010 7:31 am

Hi Akhmad,

Loved this segment of TR as well

Each time my partner and I visit Indonesia, we include two immediate destinations in our itinerary which are Bandung, my mother%u2019s hometown, and Semarang, my birthplace. This holiday was no exception.

Memories .... feels the same whenever I visit Doha.

Once you get to your booking quotation, the total price will be automatically marked up with the insurance. You just have to be aware of it and make your decision before proceeding to settle down the bill.

Beware, Jet airways has a similar thing as well!

What will be your aircraft type?%u2019
%u2018Which registration will it be?%u2019
%u2018Can you tell me its first delivery date?%u2019

Were you guys having a rapid fire quiz or something? LOL

The aircraft interiors looked good as well.

thanks for sharing, looking forward to the next segment.
Great leaders don't tell you what to do ... they show you how it's done!

NZ107

Sat Sep 18, 2010 9:26 am

Hi Suryo,

Another great TR, really nice photos as well.

CGK T3 looks very nice!

The PSC makes me wonder why they don't just make the airlines add the amount to the fare. It'd be so much more convenient instead of finding the hassle to produce more money.

The slimline seats don't look too comfortable.. What is it like without an armrest? I saw the 738 one on a previous QF flight and it looks like that would be quite uncomfortable. I guess it's not a very long flight though.

Quoting akhmad (Reply 3):
Bathroom amenity kit

Good to see that Novotel keep a standard with these amenities right across Asia Pacific!

The food impresses me in these Indonesian hotels. I doubt it'd be the same if you were to go to any hotel in New Zealand.. I'd be surprised if more than about 10% had good quality stuff like that.

Thanks for sharing, looking forward to the next part.

Cheers,
Nicholas
It's all about the destination AND the journey.

FlyingFinn76

Sat Sep 18, 2010 3:24 pm

Hi Suryo,

Just like with the previous part I read this a while back but was frankly too overwhelmed to comment! Thanks for this excellent report - top notch stuff as usual.

I had no idea Mandala is nowadays flying Airbuses, I guess ever since Lari stopped his extensive travels around Indonesia (or at least stopped writing about those!) I haven't really been keeping up with the aviation scene there.

Eagerly awaiting more, but you already knew that, didn't you? Is Bali the next stop?

akhmad
Topic Author

Sun Sep 19, 2010 7:45 pm

Dear fellows,

Many thanks for all your replies. I really appreciate it.

@ Burj:

Quoting burj (Reply 26):
"I have *liberated* the Mandala inflight magazine. Therefore I can look it up. Let's see..."

Doesn't that sound better, almost heroic?

You are right. Thanks for your suggestion.   

@ Ojas:

Quoting ojas (Reply 27):
Loved this segment of TR as well

Thank you. I am happy to know that.

Quoting ojas (Reply 27):
feels the same whenever I visit Doha.

I can imagine that.

Quoting ojas (Reply 27):
Beware, Jet airways has a similar thing as well!

Good to know. I suppose you can deselect it before proceeding.

Quoting ojas (Reply 27):
Were you guys having a rapid fire quiz or something? LOL

It felt like we were having one! 

Quoting ojas (Reply 27):
thanks for sharing,

You are welcome.

@ P.:

Quoting FlyingFinn76 (Reply 29):
Just like with the previous part I read this a while back but was frankly too overwhelmed to comment! Thanks for this excellent report - top notch stuff as usual.

You are welcome. Glad you liked it.

I haven't really been keeping up with the aviation scene there.

Well, how about visiting South East Asia again?  

Is Bali the next stop?

Err, not yet.

Thanks again for dropping by.

Cheers,
Suryo

mandala499

Tue Oct 05, 2010 9:27 am

Suryo,
Glad you had a nice flight on Mandala with Anggerika too!
T3, the "green terminal" but has higher electricity consumption than the other 2 terminals combined!    And it has a nice industrial air conditioning... which means that at night, it's too damn cold! (even had windows cracking or even smashing itself to pieces).

The expansion plans for T3 is rather... delayed. The apron surrounding the terminal is supposed to have started this year, but no sign of it yet and from what I hear from the airport guys, no plans to do so soon...

Sad... but it's still my preferred terminal...

Mandala499
When losing situational awareness, pray Cumulus Granitus isn't nearby !

akhmad
Topic Author

Tue Oct 05, 2010 5:35 pm

Hi Mandala499,

We were enjoying our flight with Mandala. Mandala has never disappointed us. Do you know Anggerika?

What a shocking details about the electricity consumption and cracking windows. Nevertheless, I prefer traveling through T3 just like you.

Thanks for dropping by.

Cheers,
Suryo

mandala499

Wed Oct 06, 2010 3:06 pm

Quoting akhmad (Reply 32):
What a shocking details about the electricity consumption and cracking windows. Nevertheless, I prefer traveling through T3 just like you.

My jaw dropped when I heard the actual consumption costs from a friend who was at the T3 management team...   

Quoting akhmad (Reply 32):
We were enjoying our flight with Mandala. Mandala has never disappointed us. Do you know Anggerika?

Her fiancee is a good friend of mine... :P

And your QZ flight to DPS has a good friend of mine in one of the shots!

Mandala's current state is pretty worrying though...  

akhmad
Topic Author

Thu Oct 07, 2010 4:31 pm

Quoting mandala499 (Reply 33):
Her fiancee is a good friend of mine... :P

And your QZ flight to DPS has a good friend of mine in one of the shots!

Are you serious? How nice to know that!  

Quoting mandala499 (Reply 33):
Mandala's current state is pretty worrying though...

I have read that. What a pity for such wonderful airline...

mandala499

Fri Oct 08, 2010 3:44 am

Quoting akhmad (Reply 34):
Are you serious? How nice to know that!

Indeed!
Having names/faces I know makes these wonderful TR of yours more enjoyable to read by a factor of a gazillion!   

Mandala499

akhmad
Topic Author

Sat Oct 09, 2010 6:27 pm

Quoting mandala499 (Reply 35):
Having names/faces I know makes these wonderful TR of yours more enjoyable to read by a factor of a gazillion!

Thank you for your nice words.