Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Glenn White

Aircraft: Boeing 767-336 - VH-VXB
Flight time: 1 hour, 5 mins
Scheduled departure time: 13:15
Actual departure time: 13:27
Scheduled arrival time: 15:50
Actual arrival time: 15:53

After a relatively smooth experience with mobile check in on the SYD-BNE sector, the system took an unfortunate dislike to me and greeted me with an error message on my phone when I tried to check-in. So it was that I had to check in the old fashioned way (which isn't really very old fashioned at all, with the quick check kiosks and bag drop). After printing off my boarding pass I took my bag to the bag drop, where a woman with perhaps not the cheeriest disposition in the world tagged my bag. "How was your morning?", "Oh fine", I replied. "How has the day been for you?" I asked. "So incredibly boring, you have no idea. That's why I'm arranging all these bag tags one by one." And she certainly was. She had a pile of 'fragile' and 'priority' tags that she was organizing. She was managing to keep busy on what was a surprisingly quiet day at BNE. She wasn't surly at all, just a fellow human being talking to me like a human being. I appreciate that from employees of a major corporation. Tropical Cyclone Yasi had yet to make landfall in northern Queensland, but the news was full of stories of people getting out of Townsville and Mackay, not to mention Cairns. It was therefore surprising to see that my flight was almost empty.

http://i1222.photobucket.com/albums/dd487/qantasforever2/IMG_0096.jpg

I was flying today on VH-ZXB, a 21 year old 767-336 originally from British Airways. There were a few interesting quirks about this aircraft. There are no individual air conditioning nozzles above each seat. Departure was delayed by a few minutes due to a fault with the air-conditioning system. Taxiing to the runway, the cabin was indeed a little warm (although a little cooler than the 30 degrees C outside!

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Brendan Vanderwerf

I had an empty seat next to me, which always makes these flights pleasant. It allowed me to stretch out a bit and actually get some work done.

Following takeoff, the cabin crew came through offering light refreshments. Today it was a quiche which tasted supremely better than it looked, and also a drink. Cup of tea, lovely:

http://i1222.photobucket.com/albums/dd487/qantasforever2/IMG_0097.jpg

Also included were these wonderful things. An Alan Joyce touch?:

http://i1222.photobucket.com/albums/dd487/qantasforever2/IMG_0098.jpg

The crew were chatty and sociable, most of the discussion centered on the tropical cyclone, and the recent floods.

In-flight entertainment was basic as with the outbound journey. The cabin crew seemed to lack a bit of the glamour of the outbound flight. Must just be a Sydney thing. Nonetheless they were very friendly and helpful. I was just happy to do some work for the duration.

Before long we were descending, tracking once again over the northern beaches, and down south past the airport for landing on RW 34R: http://i1222.photobucket.com/albums/dd487/qantasforever2/IMG_0101.jpg

Before long, we were tracking north and landed just 3 minutes later than scheduled. We taxied to gate 3, past this QF763 undergoing heavy maintenance:

http://i1222.photobucket.com/albums/dd487/qantasforever2/IMG_0102.jpg

All in all, QF's domestic product is quick, easy, comfortable, and enjoyable. There seems to be a shift in company culture since Alan Joyce took over. Staff seem to feel that management have their back, and this flows through to the customer. Qantas feels revitalised.

A happy customer,

QFF  

BNEFlyer

RE: BNE-SYD On QF - (Part 2)

Fri Feb 04, 2011 10:45 am

Nice report, always good to see BNE on the TR list!

Your flights sounded pretty good. I haven't flown QF since the Irish one took over so may have to give them a go. I have only ever experienced 1 FA that was as nice as the ones you had on your flights on QF, yet I always have great flights on DJ.

In fact quite possibly the one of the worst flights I have ever had was on QF52 a few months ago. I had a better experience on FR. Glad to see things are looking up at QF!

qantasforever2
Topic Author

Fri Feb 04, 2011 11:21 pm

Thanks BNE. Brisbane's a good town.

Quoting BNEFlyer (Reply 1):
In fact quite possibly the one of the worst flights I have ever had was on QF52

Do go on, sir...

QFF2

SYDBWI

Sun Feb 06, 2011 5:12 am

Always good to see a Australian domestic sector in a trip report, however ordinary the trip may be to us Aussies.

Great report!   
I'm a streetwalking cheetah with a heart full of napalm.

BNEFlyer

Sun Feb 06, 2011 10:37 am

Quoting QANTASFOREVER2 (Reply 2):
Do go on, sir...

Rude f/a's, inedible food, uncomfortable seat, dodgy IFE, delayed luggage. The only reason I was on the flight is because I was booked in BA16/QF5?? but BA were so kind as to put me on the non stop flight.

I'm sure this isn't the norm on QF, however I found BA a much better ride. And I'll never fly QF internationally again if I can help it. My next trip, this time to the US and UK will be on VA/VS.

qantasforever2
Topic Author

Mon Feb 07, 2011 12:47 am

Quoting BNEFlyer (Reply 4):
Rude f/a's, inedible food, uncomfortable seat, dodgy IFE, delayed luggage. The only reason I was on the flight is because I was booked in BA16/QF5?? but BA were so kind as to put me on the non stop flight.

Damn, that's no good.

I think QF International is about to get a bit of a shake-up, if the noises out of Mascot are anything to go by. I'm sure they'd be keen to earn your business again.

Quoting SYDBWI (Reply 3):
Always good to see a Australian domestic sector in a trip report, however ordinary the trip may be to us Aussies.

And yes! I travel domestically in other countries often, and always appreciate seeing mundane dom sectors in trip reports, thought I'd return the favour to someone travelling in Australia.

QFF2

BNEFlyer

Mon Feb 07, 2011 12:20 pm

Quoting QANTASFOREVER2 (Reply 5):
Damn, that's no good.

I think QF International is about to get a bit of a shake-up, if the noises out of Mascot are anything to go by. I'm sure they'd be keen to earn your business again.

Perhaps, I actually would like to try their A380 service, and I have found that domestic service isn't too bad at all.

a1ring23

Thu Feb 10, 2011 9:07 am

Nice report, cheers!

I flew SYD-BNE a while back but before I started writing reports on a old 767 (like you flew on) and it wasn't too bad. Plane didn't look too flash though!

Quoting QANTASFOREVER2 (Thread starter):
There are no individual air conditioning nozzles above each seat. Departure was delayed by a few minutes due to a fault with the air-conditioning system.

Kinda ironic hahaha.

Quoting QANTASFOREVER2 (Thread starter):
All in all, QF's domestic product is quick, easy, comfortable, and enjoyable. There seems to be a shift in company culture since Alan Joyce took over. Staff seem to feel that management have their back, and this flows through to the customer. Qantas feels revitalised.

Yeah, they are good domestically and the crew are always easy to talk to. Now to change the International product.

Thanks again,
Pete
Where's the accelerometer on this thing?

qantasforever2
Topic Author

Fri Feb 11, 2011 11:09 am

Quoting a1ring23 (Reply 7):
I flew SYD-BNE a while back but before I started writing reports on a old 767 (like you flew on) and it wasn't too bad. Plane didn't look too flash though!

You really get the sense that if the 787 was around, then things would be very different. To fly a 20 year old 767-300 on a sector as short as BNE-SYD seems mad. Certainly it's an anachronism that will be corrected shortly - if Boeing gets its act together!

Quoting a1ring23 (Reply 7):
Yeah, they are good domestically and the crew are always easy to talk to. Now to change the International product.

Yes. After recently 'enjoying' a significant delay in Singapore, I'm with you there!!

QFF2

MSS658

Sun Feb 13, 2011 4:00 pm

Nice return report as well, enjoyed reading it.
Next trip report: Well worn A330s and Hassle free MUC transfer