Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

skane340
Topic Author

Qatar Business - Worst Experience

Sun Mar 06, 2011 7:34 am

Friday 18th Feb we started our trip CPH-DOH-MNL. We where a party of 7 booked on business.
The first leg was a A330, second leg a 777.
We had made pre seating but that did not work.

The business seat in the A330 was ok, but not more. One of the IFE did not work so we changed seats.
Ordering drinks for after take of worked well... but serving them went seriously wrong.
One child (10y) years was served a Gin Tonic instead of a Sprite, after she tried the drink she said that the Sprite taste strange, we tasted and to our surprise --- no Sprite --- Gin Tonic!!

Some other drink was also mixed up, but not that seriously.

Than the ordering of the food started, we sitting in Row 4 had only one choice left out of 3, my wife allergic to fish (the choice left) got some strange noodles with tofu, not noodles which chicken as the flight attendant told us.

When the food was distributed there where some mistakes, wrong food served, yes a complete mess.
We where never asked what we wanted to drink, so only water was served. After me asking if they have wine on board the apologized and distributed the wine.

After that I had a discussion with the purser and asked here kindly if we could have a complain form. She asked me at least 3-4 times if we really need a complain form... we have the form now and I will post this tomorrow.

Who is giving the Qatar a 5***** rating... probably some person paid by the big bosses...

The rest of the flight and even the return flight went ok, except the pre seating which NEVER worked, so don't bother...

We have had some problems flying with LH and where compensated in a way or other (most time with some extra miles)...
Here we hardly got an excuse for this... until we asked for the complain form...

airmale

RE: Qatar Business - Worst Experience

Sun Mar 06, 2011 9:53 am

oh, this is odd. I have flown QR a number of times in both Economy and Business Class and have not come accross anything you describe above. But I would certainly contact your local QR office in writing and tell them about your unusual experience. QR prides itself about their superior service in this is certainly not up to standard. I hope you at least enjoyed the Premium Terminal in Doha.

Happy flying.

eaa3

Sun Mar 06, 2011 10:24 am

I flew QR from Delhi to Heathrow through Doha last week and both flights were great.

skane340
Topic Author

Sun Mar 06, 2011 11:00 am

Hi, I both enjoyed the premium terminal and both flights with the 777 (DOH-MNL 19th Feb and MNL-DOH 4th March). The service and seats on the segment was great.

Flightsimboy

Sun Mar 06, 2011 4:11 pm

Quoting skane340 (Thread starter):
She asked me at least 3-4 times if we really need a complain form... we have the form now and I will post this tomorrow.

Maybe you should know she asked you 3-4 times if you really needed a complaint form, because once you submit it, neither will she or those serving your area have their jobs anymore. Maybe you should reconsider sending it in.

aa61hvy

Sun Mar 06, 2011 6:53 pm

Quoting flightsimboy (Reply 4):
Maybe you should know she asked you 3-4 times if you really needed a complaint form, because once you submit it, neither will she or those serving your area have their jobs anymore. Maybe you should reconsider sending it in.

I disagree. If I screw up badly in my job, it's on me. I seriously doubt one complaint gets someone fired. If there is a lingering problem, that's a different story. Do you think it's okay for someone to do a poor job and not suffer any consequences? Especially considering Skane340 is paying QR for their services.

B777LRF

Sun Mar 06, 2011 9:22 pm

Quoting aa61hvy (Reply 5):
I disagree. If I screw up badly in my job, it's on me. I seriously doubt one complaint gets someone fired. If there is a lingering problem, that's a different story. Do you think it's okay for someone to do a poor job and not suffer any consequences? Especially considering Skane340 is paying QR for their services.

You sadly don't seem to know how QR, and in particular their poisoned dwarf CEO, operates. It really is a question of "1 complaint/mistake and you're out". They've fired cockpit crew for drinking the wrong bottle of water, and quite a few stewardesses for refusing to work "overtime" in the bosses' office. It's also the company where cabin crew are not allowed to leave the hotel on layovers without permission from Doha. A skipper once exercised command judgment on a layover in Italy, allowing a stewardess to visit her family who lived in the same city. The purser ratted on them, both got fired. It's also the company where you risk getting fired if you perform a go-around. What does that tell you?

This is not a 1st world carrier. This is a carrier which runs on a corporate policy of fear, intimidation, ratting and back stabbing. Support them if you will, my respect for my fellow human beings will not allow me to do so.

aa61hvy

Sun Mar 06, 2011 9:33 pm

Quoting B777LRF (Reply 6):
You sadly don't seem to know how QR, and in particular their poisoned dwarf CEO, operates. It really is a question of "1 complaint/mistake and you're out". They've fired cockpit crew for drinking the wrong bottle of water, and quite a few stewardesses for refusing to work "overtime" in the bosses' office. It's also the company where cabin crew are not allowed to leave the hotel on layovers without permission from Doha. A skipper once exercised command judgment on a layover in Italy, allowing a stewardess to visit her family who lived in the same city. The purser ratted on them, both got fired. It's also the company where you risk getting fired if you perform a go-around. What does that tell you?

That's a poor company environment, I agree. But at the end of the day the purser, FA etc did not have a gun to their head when they took the job. Anyone who accepts a position needs to know the risks of the position. I know I may sound heartless, but I'm just playing devil's advocate.

B777LRF

Sun Mar 06, 2011 9:46 pm

Quoting aa61hvy (Reply 7):
That's a poor company environment, I agree. But at the end of the day the purser, FA etc did not have a gun to their head when they took the job. Anyone who accepts a position needs to know the risks of the position. I know I may sound heartless, but I'm just playing devil's advocate.

I can assure you that QR does not mention anything about their management practices when they recruit. Reminds me of this old joke:

Guy dies and finds himself at the pearly gates. He's offered a choice of upstairs or downstairs for the remainder of eternity, including the option of sampling both before choosing, He goes for upstairs first, which he finds pretty boring - just a bunch of angles sitting around playing the harp and all that. Downstairs is a bit more interesting: All his mates are out on the most spectacular of golf courses, and what seems to be the exact copies of Jessica Alba are doing the caddying (and a lot more). Later on they dine on the finest restaurant ever, sipping fine wine and smoking the best cigars. Next day is decision day, and he goes for downstairs. He's beamed down in an instant, only to find all his mates in chains slaving away in a salt mine, and the Jessica Alba's have been replaced by old harridans wielding pitchforks, Somewhat puzzled he inquires into what brought about this marked difference. "Ah" says the devil "yesterday we were selling, today we're delivering the product".

That's QR recruitment in a nutshell.

abrelosojos

Sun Mar 06, 2011 9:47 pm

I have said this before, and will say this one more time. QR advertises an image - and the consumer pays their hard earned money to buy that image. It is within the "right" of the customer (including skane340) to complain and write. It is not her/his fault that QR is messed up or that the crew still work there. The crew made a choice as well.

As for me, I have increasingly stopped flying these Gulf carriers which practically thrive on exploitation. Those at QR will know that I am not fibbing (and don't need to give "evidence" to the QR-fan boys), but their CEO and management team is seriously delusional and the human rights abuses to their worker are just a little too much for me to support consciously. Besides what has been outlined by other QR FA's, Mr. Baker is a lunatic ... I have actually seem him with a binocular in his office spot people in the tarmac and then fire them if he feels they are slacking off. It is hilarious to watch the Gaddafi-like behavior. Or, once, when during an investment banking meeting, when he stormed to check if the i-Bankers were on Facebook. Or, the "hotel" he visits where he has crew staying to "serve" other purposes. If this man and his people were not born to oil, they would be nothing.

Having said that, people on this forum will recognize that I don't support whining crews - they always have an option to quit and change their life. The trip writer is well warranted to write about the poor service received. Just keep in mind what you support when you fly QR.

Saludos,
A.

Luftfahrer

Sun Mar 06, 2011 9:48 pm

This is a carrier which runs on a corporate policy of fear, intimidation, ratting and back stabbing.

Who in his right mind would want to work there?

aa61hvy

Sun Mar 06, 2011 10:07 pm

Quoting abrelosojos (Reply 9):
I have said this before, and will say this one more time. QR advertises an image - and the consumer pays their hard earned money to buy that image. It is within the "right" of the customer (including skane340) to complain and write. It is not her/his fault that QR is messed up or that the crew still work there. The crew made a choice as well.

As for me, I have increasingly stopped flying these Gulf carriers which practically thrive on exploitation. Those at QR will know that I am not fibbing (and don't need to give "evidence" to the QR-fan boys), but their CEO and management team is seriously delusional and the human rights abuses to their worker are just a little too much for me to support consciously. Besides what has been outlined by other QR FA's, Mr. Baker is a lunatic ... I have actually seem him with a binocular in his office spot people in the tarmac and then fire them if he feels they are slacking off. It is hilarious to watch the Gaddafi-like behavior. Or, once, when during an investment banking meeting, when he stormed to check if the i-Bankers were on Facebook. Or, the "hotel" he visits where he has crew staying to "serve" other purposes. If this man and his people were not born to oil, they would be nothing.

Having said that, people on this forum will recognize that I don't support whining crews - they always have an option to quit and change their life. The trip writer is well warranted to write about the poor service received. Just keep in mind what you support when you fly QR.
Quoting B777LRF (Reply 8):
I can assure you that QR does not mention anything about their management practices when they recruit. Reminds me of this old joke:

Guy dies and finds himself at the pearly gates. He's offered a choice of upstairs or downstairs for the remainder of eternity, including the option of sampling both before choosing, He goes for upstairs first, which he finds pretty boring - just a bunch of angles sitting around playing the harp and all that. Downstairs is a bit more interesting: All his mates are out on the most spectacular of golf courses, and what seems to be the exact copies of Jessica Alba are doing the caddying (and a lot more). Later on they dine on the finest restaurant ever, sipping fine wine and smoking the best cigars. Next day is decision day, and he goes for downstairs. He's beamed down in an instant, only to find all his mates in chains slaving away in a salt mine, and the Jessica Alba's have been replaced by old harridans wielding pitchforks, Somewhat puzzled he inquires into what brought about this marked difference. "Ah" says the devil "yesterday we were selling, today we're delivering the product".

That's QR recruitment in a nutshell.

Thank you for the information, gentlemen. I was not aware of this. I am traveling via the middle east in a few months and have been eying EK and QR... Based on this EK is getting my $ instead. I assume EK has a slightly better internal environment...

B777LRF

Sun Mar 06, 2011 11:32 pm

While EK staff policy is nothing to write home about, it's light years ahead of what's the sad reality in QR.

Mr. Baker is a lunatic ... I have actually seem him with a binocular in his office spot people in the tarmac and then fire them if he feels they are slacking off. It is hilarious to watch the Gaddafi-like behavior. Or, once, when during an investment banking meeting, when he stormed to check if the i-Bankers were on Facebook. Or, the "hotel" he visits where he has crew staying to "serve" other purposes. If this man and his people were not born to oil, they would be nothing.

I've had the distinct displeasure of being in a meeting with AAB. Megalomaniac doesn't half cover how dysfunctional this individual is. Luckily we were buying, not selling, so had the upper hand if you can call it that, and, in the end, walked away from the negotiations.

signol

Sun Mar 06, 2011 11:35 pm

Thank you for taking the time to write.

I do have to say it seems that you are very disappointed due to mix-ups in one meal service, out of a total of 4 long haul flights.

signol

nethkt

Mon Mar 07, 2011 6:36 am

Sorry to hear your bad experience on QR.
They didn't sound like 5 stars airlines on your flight.

Do you have any pictures taken from your flights? Maybe those will help to support your trip report and further to your complain letter that will be sent to QR later on.

Brgds.
net

lukeyboy95

Mon Mar 07, 2011 3:10 pm

To Skane340.
Thank you for reporting your feelings about QR on this forum. However it is good to report consistently on carriers, and not simply because you have had a terrible experience. Otherwise a skewed view might result... sort of like the idea that the majority of people seem to only leave a Skytrax review when they are pissed-off and want to let of steam, to challenge the integrity of an airline. Therefore, I tend not to rely highly on these.
The reporting seemed quite short and thin on details, so if you might consider putting a little more detail in, then this would be helpful so we can assume a well-rounded picture of your experience. Not simply the negitivities. Still, I totally agree this is sub-standard. The stewards didn't seem malitiously clumsy from the reading, and it did not seem to be an attitude problem, instead a poorly trained problem...

I would only complain about a crew member if I thought they were being snotty, or specifically lazy in their work. As many QR fa's can be. However, if it was absent-mindedness, but good intentions, then I would complain about the flight as a whole.

I seriously doubt one complaint gets someone fired.

I don't doubt this at all at QR. It is draconian!

This is a carrier which runs on a corporate policy of fear, intimidation, ratting and back stabbing. Support them if you will, my respect for my fellow human beings will not allow me to do so.

I support them, but am becoming increasingly aware of the poor working standards, and I feel it is going to end in a damaging expose of flight conditions.

I have actually seem him with a binocular in his office spot people in the tarmac and then fire them if he feels they are slacking off. It is hilarious to watch the Gaddafi-like behavior.

Interesting... and topical. Maybe Baker will be overthrown. Doubtful.

I think it is coming to the fore that QR are operating a highly strict, rigid and draconian employment system. I can't say I approve, and it is the only airline that the majority of cabin crew have been too afraid - yes, afraid, to let me capture their photos, should the QR bosses sniff that they have shown their personality on a flight.

An interesting issue has been thrown up by this report. I did not realise so many were vehemently opposed!

Regards.

Luke

*Edited for dismal spelling purposes

[Edited 2011-03-07 07:12:27]

sq_ek_freak

Mon Mar 07, 2011 4:01 pm

While I don't think there's an excuse for shoddy service, especially in a premium cabin, the consequences QR will most likely impose against the crew involved might be disproportionately dire to the sins they committed.

I seriously doubt one complaint gets someone fired

From what I've heard of two cabin crew friends I have at QR, that's exactly what happens. A seriously faulty HR strategy they have in place there.

This is not a 1st world carrier. This is a carrier which runs on a corporate policy of fear, intimidation, ratting and back stabbing. Support them if you will, my respect for my fellow human beings will not allow me to do so.

Totally sounds like the QR I've heard of. This does wonders for good CRM as you would imagine. Not.

I had heard of the water bottle ridiculousness but wasn't aware of the layover restrictions!

Quoting B777LRF (Reply 8):
I can assure you that QR does not mention anything about their management practices when they recruit.

Nope they don't.

Saludos,
A.

As usual, you hit the nail right on the head.

Quoting Luftfahrer (Reply 10):
Who in his right mind would want to work there?

Look at the main demographic of QR crews and you might find your answer. A vast majority of them come from the developing world where oppportunities aren't as good as what QR may have on offer (on paper at least).

Quoting aa61hvy (Reply 11):
Thank you for the information, gentlemen. I was not aware of this. I am traveling via the middle east in a few months and have been eying EK and QR... Based on this EK is getting my $ instead. I assume EK has a slightly better internal environment...

I hope to see you on an EK flight soon!

Quoting B777LRF (Reply 12):
While EK staff policy is nothing to write home about, it's light years ahead of what's the sad reality in QR.

Also true.

Quoting B777LRF (Reply 12):
I've had the distinct displeasure of being in a meeting with AAB. Megalomaniac doesn't half cover how dysfunctional this individual is. Luckily we were buying, not selling, so had the upper hand if you can call it that, and, in the end, walked away from the negotiations.

He seriously has small man syndrome from what I hear.

ojas

Mon Mar 07, 2011 4:19 pm

Too bad you have a bad experience on QR, though pictures would elevate the scenario in a much better way.

It's also the company where cabin crew are not allowed to leave the hotel on layovers without permission from Doha.

That's absolutely false.

My friend came visiting me in the US for 2 years on EVERY layover he had at IAH. So unfortunately you need a fact check there.

Quoting sq_ek_freak (Reply 16):
I had heard of the water bottle ridiculousness but wasn't aware of the layover restrictions!

flyboy_se

Mon Mar 07, 2011 9:10 pm

It is unfortunate that you had a bad flight. QR is still growing, and thus having teething problems. 1 bad flight out of 4 is still not bad. It is first time i hear such a bad experience from a QR flight.

Furhter i am very suprised about such hard opinions from people that have absolutely no idea about how things really are.
Everything from getting fired after drinking wrong water to seeing the CEO looking with binoculars out of his windows to fire people. really sad. btw, his office is on the ninth floor, has tainted windows and he needs to have one helluva binoculars to be able to see staff on the ramp through all the buildings in the way. I mean, just acomplishing that deserves a Skytrax award.

Oh yes, and Skytrax awards is paid for, and all the positve comments must be fake. And all the crew working there are slaves that get fired for making the smallest misstakes.

Strangely, that does not sound at all like the company i spent 5 years of my life with. (oh, and i am not asian or from a third world country)

One thing that people tend to forget, and that includes all gulf cariers, is that they are in the Middle East. You cannot expect it to be like Europe, or US or Australia.

kaitak

Mon Mar 07, 2011 10:47 pm

I think the biggest concern about QR is not so much the way its service is imposed by the proverbial sword of Damocles hanging over each crewmember's head, but the effect of this on safety. Yes, QR has not had a fatal accident and I have no doubt that it invests a lot on hardware, such as simulators, but as we all know, the human element is essential in air safety; in recent years, we have learned a huge amount about psychology, CRM etc, all of which are vitally important to air safety. QR, on the other hand, seems to be operating a 21st century airline with HR practices which seem to date back to the 19th century. You can go so far with this and you can be lucky because many of the crews would have come from airlines with good CRM practices, but that's just QR's luck; sooner or later, it's own HR practices and culture are going to catch up on it.

9w748capt

Mon Mar 07, 2011 11:30 pm

pardon me asking, but what is a "wrong bottle of water?" wow this AAB guy seems pretty cuckoo...

B777LRF

Mon Mar 07, 2011 11:51 pm

Quoting ojas (Reply 17):
My friend came visiting me in the US for 2 years on EVERY layover he had at IAH. So unfortunately you need a fact check there.

Apologies, my statement needs to be qualified a bit: It's not allowed for FEMALE cabin crew etc ...

HELyes

Mon Mar 07, 2011 11:55 pm

Quoting flyboy_se (Reply 18):
One thing that people tend to forget, and that includes all gulf cariers, is that they are in the Middle East. You cannot expect it to be like Europe, or US or Australia.

Yes of course there are cultural differences, but I'm not ready to support any kind of business culture, no matter where the company is from. I usually travel between Europe and Asia and there are plenty of choices.

ojas

Tue Mar 08, 2011 8:30 am

Quoting B777LRF (Reply 21):
It's not allowed for FEMALE cabin crew etc ...

That too is absolutely false.

And while not on this forum, on the ground at Doha I can provide you with any number of evidence to substantiate my comments.

Qatara340

Tue Mar 08, 2011 9:27 am

The guy doesnt get served his first choice of meal, and starts bashing the airline.

And then ignorant posts and human rights, apparent torture camps, ect...

Nontheless other forumers apparently make up stuff which is NOT true. Check other QR Trip Reports and in other websites and youll see if what is being said is true or not.

Very typical.

jetfuel

Tue Mar 08, 2011 2:14 pm

It's also the company where you risk getting fired if you perform a go-around. What does that tell you?

I have never flown Qatar but when it comes to basic airline safety, without considering levels of luxury, comfort or service, I will never fly with them. Sounds like a dangerous airline that should be exposed for the truth

B777LRF

Tue Mar 08, 2011 3:20 pm

Quoting ojas (Reply 23):
That too is absolutely false.

No, it is not: They need the express permission of the Skipper, and he needs a green light from Doha.

flyboy_se

Tue Mar 08, 2011 5:45 pm

Quoting B777LRF (Reply 26):
No, it is not: They need the express permission of the Skipper, and he needs a green light from Doha.

Apparenly you know more than the actual crew of the airline

Flightsimboy

Tue Mar 08, 2011 5:46 pm

Quoting QatarA340 (Reply 24):
And then ignorant posts and human rights, apparent torture camps, ect...

Perhaps you need to go through the details found on this forum

http://www.pprune.org/cabin-crew-wan...rways-wannabes-recruitment-ii.html

[Edited 2011-03-08 09:48:57]

Qatara340

Tue Mar 08, 2011 7:23 pm

It's also the company where you risk getting fired if you perform a go-around.

Seriously, stop spreading BS around. People like you tend to spread false images to show people the bad picture of what is really happeneing.

Quoting jetfuel (Reply 25):
I have never flown Qatar but when it comes to basic airline safety, without considering levels of luxury, comfort or service, I will never fly with them. Sounds like a dangerous airline that should be exposed for the truth

Basic Airline Saftey? It is amongst the safest airlines out there.

Quoting flightsimboy (Reply 28):
Perhaps you need to go through the details found on this forum

http://www.pprune.org/cabin-crew-wan....html

hahhaha, PPRUNE??????? Its made by losers who complain about everything including the kitchen sink. The EK bashing thread, the EY bashing thread, not to mention the "dreaded" Gulf Air. Basically, nothing is too good for them! This post made my day!

The thread-started clearly did not support his or her thread with pictures, and the only complaint i see is not serving his choice of food.

About the seating, did he check-in online to get his seats. And usually the stewardess takes the passenger's food order and then serves it. And everything is written in the menu. IF Theres chicken in your noodles, it would say in the menu and in the IFE's menu. LOL

I dont buy this Trip Report. Sorry.

raffik

Tue Mar 08, 2011 7:40 pm

Why shouldn't he complain? Business class tickets are not cheap and for the price he expects an excellent level of service. Even if i am buying an economy seat, I expect an excellent level of service too.
He shouldn't be made to feel guilty to give the airline feedback - they actually value feedback so they can improve
the level of service that other flyers receive.

I am sorry QatarA340 but stop being so biased. My good female friend worked for Qatar Airways for years and said the
cabin crew are treated terribly. She was not allowed to travel a lone on layovers and was eventually fired for meeting her boyfriend in the city!

Luftfahrer

Tue Mar 08, 2011 8:25 pm

Quoting sq_ek_freak (Reply 16):
A vast majority of them come from the developing world where oppportunities aren't as good as what QR may have on offer (on paper at least).

It's quite a pity that QR cabin crews who have been commended for the most part on this board continue to work in an apparently poor environment. It would seem they would be better off elsewhere (that includes other ME carriers) with their individual skills.

Quoting QatarA340 (Reply 29):
hahhaha, PPRUNE??????? Its made by losers who complain about everything including the kitchen sink.

No, it's made by aviation professionals for (aspiring) aviation professionals.   Therefore, one gets to know how things are in the background, observations which may significantly differ from the glitz and glamour the average passenger gets to experience.

[Edited 2011-03-08 12:27:02]

flyboy_se

Tue Mar 08, 2011 8:35 pm

Quoting Luftfahrer (Reply 31):
It's quite a pity that QR cabin crews who have been commended for the most part on this board continue to work in an apparently poor environment. It would seem they would be better off elsewhere (that includes other ME carriers) with their individual skills

Yes, it is terribly poor environment, that is the reason so many stay at the company for years.

Flightsimboy

Tue Mar 08, 2011 10:07 pm

hahhaha, PPRUNE??????? Its made by losers who complain about everything including the kitchen sink.
This post made my day!
Quoting Luftfahrer (Reply 31):
No, it's made by aviation professionals for (aspiring) aviation professionals.

Luftfahrer your post made my day

Don't get me wrong, I am a real QR fan, even though I have not flown with them YET!! I look forward to welcoming Qatar this year when they start flying from Montreal effective June 29!! And you can be positively sure a trip report will be posted here should I take a trip with them soon. The fares are quite enticing! Just read the trip reports on here where there is nothing but praise for the QR crew.

But the horror stories of what is taking place with their cabin crew, the high turnover rate sometimes just months between staff joining and leaving, makes those who have their jobs work very hard on board to provide a top rated product. Which is why the QR staff on board when asked for a complaint form know that their end is very near.

I used to follow a blogspot of a cabin crew member who one day just found himself heading back to South America. He never disclosed what happened with him, but we all know what must have happened. He never complained about the working conditions at QR, and his posts about his flights had nothing but praise from the passengers. But he must have tripped maybe just that once, on one of the many draconian rules at QR which found him heading back home!!

[Edited 2011-03-08 14:27:07]

ojas

Wed Mar 09, 2011 7:32 am

Quoting B777LRF (Reply 26):
They need the express permission of the Skipper, and he needs a green light from Doha.

No they do not. And at Doha I can provide a thousand evidences to support my claim.

manny

Wed Mar 09, 2011 10:30 pm

The OP has every right to file a complaint if he felt the service provided was less than expected. If he does not do someone else down the road will do it. The customer at the end of the day should not be focused on the consequences of the complaint.

I always wonder why people would endorse such airlines by paying their hard earned dollars.

I have traveled on QR on one round trip and have to say the flight crew on all segments except one were excellent. But i was appalled at how people some people were mistreated in the security check at the airport on my flight back to US. And i hear a lot of the same discrimination goes on in other middle eastern airports. So i have have kept away and would never connect via those airports.

Qatara340

Wed Mar 09, 2011 11:21 pm

Quoting manny (Reply 35):
But i was appalled at how people some people were mistreated in the security check at the airport on my flight back to US.

Appaled? Umm.. How about waiting for 2 hours in New York being asked by Homeland Security Officers personal questions and being interrogated like I did something wrong? That is after the passport check. The security checks in the US are way more strict that many airports including DOH.

jayeshrulz

Thu Mar 10, 2011 5:25 am

Is there any picture to add as an belief? Any Kind of Information to confirm that you actually flew? Any details?
If No, then i feel this thread is pointless. Thank You.

skane340
Topic Author

Thu Mar 10, 2011 5:54 pm

Hi,
thank you all for your comments.

I want to make clear that if I pay business or even first class I expect a better service than in economy.
This time we payed business for 7 people (!!)

I work with marketing and sales in a multinational company. I appreciate if we can get feedback from the customer if someone makes a good or bad job.

I send letters to the HR of companies (airlines & hotels) if someone made a great job (more the needed) or a bad job.

If the IFE does not work, that's bad but no need for complain.
If they run out of food choice and we don't get food for 6 hours (due to fish allergy) that is a problem, but not from the flight attendance, from logistics.

If we don't get any drink service, that's a flight attendant problem

If a child gets a Gin & Tonic... the attendance should look for a new job!!

If a company does not get any complaints they don't know what to improve, and of course they can say they are 5*****.

I once again want to emphasise that the service on the DOH-MNL-DOH was great! The plane was had great seats and more comfort that the A330.

And yes, I will most probably fly with QR again.

manny

Thu Mar 10, 2011 11:45 pm

Quoting QatarA340 (Reply 36):
Appaled? Umm.. How about waiting for 2 hours in New York being asked by Homeland Security Officers personal questions and being interrogated like I did something wrong? That is after the passport check. The security checks in the US are way more strict that many airports including DOH.

If that was based purely on discrimination then nobody should have any right to question you (no pun) if you choose to avoid traveling to the US.

What i saw in Qatar was indeed appalling because it was not one individual but a set of people who are employed by the state. That such blatant discrimination can exist in any part of the world and is considered acceptable in any way is just beyond me. And in that case i would choose to avoid that part of the world and spend my dollars in countries where the values are more in sync with what i believe in.

lalib

Mon Mar 14, 2011 9:13 am

Op was right in complaining. After all did the cabin crew do anything to rectify their mistakes?

picturethis

Mon Mar 14, 2011 1:45 pm

Quoting ojas (Reply 17):
though pictures would elevate the scenario in a much better way.

I don't understand the real need for a plethora of photos.

"this is a photo of the cabin crew mixing up a lemonade for a gin and tonic" haha

Mix ups happen at work and if someone ends up getting fired about it that's just pathetic, just re-train them.

Anything involving cutting safety for fear of being fired is aswell. Hopefully its not true.

Qatara340

Tue Mar 15, 2011 6:22 am

Quoting manny (Reply 39):
If that was based purely on discrimination then nobody should have any right to question you (no pun) if you choose to avoid traveling to the US.

What i saw in Qatar was indeed appalling because it was not one individual but a set of people who are employed by the state. That such blatant discrimination can exist in any part of the world and is considered acceptable in any way is just beyond me. And in that case i would choose to avoid that part of the world and spend my dollars in countries where the values are more in sync with what i believe in.

I agree. Discrimination anywhere in the world is bad. The people in Qatar and the airports in the US should consider changing their attitude. I've seen them myself at Qatar too how rude they can be; but its just the "teenage" mentality and not one ounce of professionalism. Most of these people have no education beyond high school; which doesnt give them the excuse to act that way; but FYI. Even in the US, people should not have to be questioned separetly and interrogated for a long period of time simply because of their race or relegion (and say it was a random questioning). I wont avoid traveling to the US simply because beyond the airport, the people are all friendly...

AEROFAN

Tue Mar 15, 2011 10:02 pm

Send it if you paid for the ticket!

lukeyboy95

Wed Mar 16, 2011 7:45 am

Quoting picturethis (Reply 41):
I don't understand the real need for a plethora of photos.

Pictorial TR's are vastly more popular than non-illustrated account, so I think some others must understand the need. And with your name too!

signol

Wed Mar 16, 2011 2:54 pm

Quoting picturethis (Reply 41):

I think it's more that, if the OP is going to write and complain about the problems he had, pictoral evidence will help his case.

signol

Eltomzo

Sun Mar 20, 2011 8:28 pm

I would appreciate some clarity on this whole issue of QR's evil-sounding corporate culture.

I have been hearing rumours of their poor treatment of cabin crew on and off for a while now - more so than for any other airline. I travel on QR all the time (30+ flights in the last year) and I have had cause to make complaints in the past. I am slightly worried that I have been responsible for some firings, when all that is needed is some retraining.

Given the amount of talk we hear about their uncaring attitude, I guess there must be -some- truth to it, but then hearing flat denials from others is clouding the picture. Who has a motive to polemicise / deify this airline in particular, and what is the reality there? Is there anyone who has worked there in the past (and has since left of their own accord) who can give us an unbiased account?

sankaps

Sat Mar 26, 2011 11:41 pm

Wow, quite a thread! Over the last 3-4 years I have flown QR several times in business class (US / UK to Doha and then beyond) and find their physical product excellent!

The crew on the whole have been fine, though I have noticed some very nervous looking crew-members on some flights, which I used to put down to newbie nervousness. But perhaps there is more to the nervousness than meets the eye. Hope the conditions are not as poor as being written on this thread...

DBCooper

Sun Mar 27, 2011 3:46 am

I am just back from flying QR JFK-DOH RT in J.

Was pleasantly surprised. Great ground staff @ JFK (hard to come by in NYC) and excellent on-board service. Indeed, I would rank the DOH>JFK flight as among the best I have ever taken.

The cabin crew in my section JFK>DOH was from Korea. DOH>JFK was from the Philippines. Both crews did a great job. Approachable/frinedly and attentive without being in your face.

I would fly QR again without hesitation.

- DBC

OA260

Sun Mar 27, 2011 8:16 pm

Some interesting comments regarding the crew and treatment etc.. A very good friend of mine is now working for them so it will be interesting to hear their views.