Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

RussianGirl
Topic Author

To BCN On Transaero B747-200

Wed Mar 09, 2011 5:17 am

Hi all! Welcome to my trip report about flights with UTair and Transaero in summer 2008. Hope, you will enjoy it!
My family decided to spend summer holidays in Spain, so we had chosen flight to BCN via Moscow(DME) with Transaero. There were no question of which air company we would fly to Moscow, it was UTair, like always  
So, let's fly!  

Flight 1
4th August 2008
Route: Tyumen (TJM) - Moscow (VKO)
Airline: UTair
Flight number: UT464
Aircraft type: B737-500
Class: Y
Seat: 16A
Flight time: 3hr
Scheduled departure time: 17:10 (on time)
Scheduled arrival time: 18:00 (actual 18:10)
Load: 100%

I keep firmly in mind that day. In 2008 I left school and leaving for Tyumen to enter the university. I gave my documents to university and than we had do simply wait the answer from the selection committee. But nobody knew when they would give decision…In previous years this event was on the 4th August so we decided to book tickets to MOW on this date! Thankfully, my future university didn't change its tradition.    We got up early and went to the university where we learnt good news: I’m a student of Tyumen State Univercity of Architecture and Civil Engineering!   
So I with my mother and younger brother in good mood went home to prepare for a journey.
At about 16:00 we were in the airport where we successfully checked-in and passed security zone. The boarding was announced on time and soon thereafter we were into our plane. The original jet used for route (Tu-154) was replaced by a B737-500! I had never fly on classic baby Boeing before( I flew on B737 only once but it was B737-200). What can I say about UT B735…nothing special   So, you can draw your own conclusion after looking on photos  

Our neighbour VP-BYK and wing view

View of Roshino

Yamal Tu-134

Bye-bye, Siberia!

Over clouds

Looks like igloo

Cabin

Approaching to VKO

Wing in landing configuration

UTair ATRs

Bye-bye, pretty VP-BVN!

Landing video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mfwVkqew0fI
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xR2OacDpl1s

It was nice flight, B735 made good impression on me and on most UT464 pax.( As I heard from their telephone conversations).

Flight 2
5th August 2008
Route: Moscow (DME) - Barcelona(BCN)
Airline: Transaero
Flight number: UN0331
Aircraft type: B747-200
Seat: 32K
Flight time: 4hr
Load: approx. 95%

So, we are faced with flight on UN B747-200. I had never fly with UN and on B747. Yes, flight on B747 was very interesting for me as opposed to trip with Transaero. Before journey I had read a numerous reviews about UN and they scared me!!! It seemed that in Transaero there are no airplanes - only flying cans, there are no f/a – only monsters in disguise, food is awful, also in all their flights there is horrible stench from toilet...Oh, almost forgot! And all UN flight always delayed for hours! That is why I was worried before flight. Nevertheless I hoped that all would be OK.
We were in DME early in the morning and went to the check-in area. The queue was big and we unwillingly started to wait our turn. But suddenly Transaero check-in agent called us to business stand (which was free from pax) due to six-year-old child was with us! Very kind step on Transaero part!
Boarding time had come but there was no announcement… Hope, delaying will not too long, I thought. Thankfully, not long after the boarding was announced and soon we stepped onto the legendary Jumbo Jet. I can’t say that the cabin was great but it wasn’t too terrible as I had read before in reviews!
Well, in general this flight was OK. Lets explode the myths about UN:
1. «In Transaero there are no airplanes - only flying cans». Yes, Transaero B742 is not perfect: during acceleration overhead beans were strongly shacking; IFE didn’t work, but…there are airplanes which are in much worse shape in Russia! So I can’t say that B742 was terrible.

2. «There are no f/a – only monsters in disguise». I partially agree with it. On my flight was one unpleasant f/a: when crew began to hand out presents for kids, they went pass us despite we had a baby! I call one lady and asked her nicely why she had not brought a present to my bother. She unwillingly listened to me and then angry said that she would bring it. Soon after this she returned with souvenir and nearly threw it to me! I had never met such rude stuff!!!

Souvenir bag

3. «Food is awful»- it was normal, not bad. But meal service was poor for international 4hr flight! Therefore, it was eatable.

4. «In all their flights there is horrible stench from toilet» - maybe people’s luck simply runs out…because on my flight there was no horrible stench!

5. «All UN flight always delayed»- time of delay was only 20 min.
All in all, it was normal flight. My fears were not justified.

Other pics

Flight 3
16th August 2008
Route: Barcelona(BCN)- Moscow (DME)
Airline: Transaero
Flight number: UN0332
Aircraft type: B767-200
Seat: 35A
Flight time: 3hr 20 min

After spending wonderful time in magnificent Spain we had to return home  BCN airport seemed very big to me but I liked it! Everything was so interesting!
Our flight delayed for 1hr, as for me, it wasn’t too much. I thought that we would fly on B747 again but it was replaced by B767-200! I had newer flown on B767!! And it was first time when I knew what the real turbulence is: Flight attendants hardly kept their boxes. I almost fell during walking to the lavatory. (F/a said to me «Don’t stand up, remain seated! » But I’m very «obedient» girl so I disobeyed. Because I'm used to that when the turbulence is nothing horrible happened. But this time was exception.) So, I decided to immediately come back to my seat and to sit calmly. This flight surprised me once more: male f/a was the best f/a I had ever met!! He was so nice, polite and gallant. He was always smiling!! Wish all crew weren't like he!
After turbulence was over we safely landed in Moscow (DME).

Here some pic from this flight

Cabin

Flight 4
18th August 2008
Route: Moscow (DME) - Tyumen (TJM)
Airline: UTair
Flight number: UT451
Aircraft type: B737-500
Seat: 16F
Flight time: 3hr

I can’t tell something special about this flight besides that it was perfect  

Transaero VP-BQE

Great meal serv! Much better then UN
http://s40.radikal.ru/i089/1103/c4/ab58578cf7d3.jpg
It seems that the clouds attack the wing!  http://i075.radikal.ru/1103/36/960cdf8e04f8.jpg
Approaching Tyumen

[URL=http://www.radikal.ru]

Conclution.
It was great trip with many things which was first for me:
- departing from Roshino;
- the new types(B735, B742, B762)
- the heavy turbulence
- Transaero airlines
All of these were nice and interesting for me.   And after this trip I will not afraid before flight with UN. It’s not ideal but I trust it.

Best Regards,
Russian Girl.

[Edited 2011-03-08 21:44:27]

OP3000

RE: To BCN On Transaero B747-200

Wed Mar 09, 2011 5:40 am

Excellent trip report - very complete, both the descriptions and the photos.

Very cool how you had last minute change of planes on several of the sectors. While you can end up getting something you don't want it certainly brings more excitement to getting to the airport.

Looks like UTAir came across as a solid airline. The meal on the return leg actually did looks quite appetizing.

As for UN, I guess you did better than most. Since your flights in 2008 you have heard the same kinds of things being said about them as before? With recent talk of them potentially joining an alliance I wonder if it means they've stepped up their game somewhat....particularly as far as handing out toy souvenirs.   

Again, thank you for the insights.

RussianGirl
Topic Author

Wed Mar 09, 2011 6:29 am

Quoting OP3000 (Reply 1):
Excellent trip report - very complete, both the descriptions and the photos.

Thanks a lot!  
Looks like UTAir came across as a solid airline. The meal on the return leg actually did looks quite appetizing.

There are people, who don't like this air company...As for me,I love UTair! And adore them for their meal service!  
Since your flights in 2008 you have heard the same kinds of things being said about them as before?

Reviews is very different! Many people were like me! They were very nervous before departure but after trip they weren't disappointed. So, when you fly with UN you will take chances!  

Aeroflot777

Wed Mar 09, 2011 7:35 am

Spasibo!

I'm glad to read a trip report from a fellow Russian perspective. I've flown UN on a few occasions, but my experiences weren't always amazing.

I'm happy you enjoyed your trip. Any my.... great memory you have from 2008 to re-tell things so vividly!

Aeroflot777

MH017

Wed Mar 09, 2011 8:34 am

Anastasia,

Another great TR: my compliments on your text and pictures !!!

Good to see Utair surpasses again service-wise to Transaero...

Not surprising to see the Transaero 747 with a spare engine behind the aircraft; they seem to have engine-changes quite regularly...for your information: VP-BPX has been stranded at SGN Tan Son Nhat since 15feb2011 and was still there as per 07mar2011  

Looking forward to another trip of yours here on A.net: thanks a lot for sharing and giving us insight in Russian domestic aviation and service(pattern)...

Balshoye Spasiba...
don't throw away tomorrow !

stipica

Wed Mar 09, 2011 11:25 am

Happy women's day Anastasia ! ..... ok ok just one day...hihihiihih...

Nice review on Transaero and UTAir ... Stipica
Open your eyes and think

eicvd

Wed Mar 09, 2011 1:29 pm

Hi RussianGirl
Thanks for posting another excellent & interesting trip report, some nice photo's too  
I have seen UN quite a few times before (in LHR, PMI & a 734 departing DUB on a delivery flight) but never knew what the service was like. Strangely enough I saw a UN 767 overflying Ireland yesterday for the first time, have no idea where it was going though.
COYBIB

RussianGirl
Topic Author

Wed Mar 09, 2011 4:33 pm

Quoting Aeroflot777 (Reply 3):
Aeroflot777

Spasibo bolshoe!   Ya rada staratsja!  
Quoting MH017 (Reply 4):
Anastasia,

Another great TR: my compliments on your text and pictures !!!

Thanks a lot!

Quoting MH017 (Reply 4):
VP-BPX has been stranded at SGN Tan Son Nhat since 15feb2011 and was still there as per 07mar2011

Wow how long!  
Quoting stipica (Reply 5):
stipica

Thank you!  
Quoting eicvd (Reply 6):
eicvd

Thanks!  

MIAspotter

Wed Mar 09, 2011 7:30 pm

Nice interesting report Anastasia!

I live in BCN and always wondered what the service on Transaero was like.

Thanks for the insight and hope you had enjoyed your stay in Spain and in Barcelona!

MIAspotter.
Nos vamos de Vueling?

CaptainRed

Wed Mar 09, 2011 8:20 pm

Hi Anastasia,

great report with nice pictures. It was certainly great to experience a flight on such a classic bird like the B742, just a shame the service was bad on your flight to BCN, that behaviour of the FA is definitely a no-go. Luckily it was better on the return flight. Also interesting to read about UTair, that meal service really looked good  

Thanks again for sharing this trip with us
CaptainRed

abrelosojos

Thu Mar 10, 2011 5:37 am

Another great report. I think I need to move to Russia and travel around for a year! Thanks so much for writing this. UN has some incredibly cheap fares and I am thinking of trying them out. I am pretty impressed by your memory and ability to cite details from 3 years back. Wanna come work at my firm  ?

Saludos,
A.
Live, and let live.

RussianGirl
Topic Author

Fri Mar 11, 2011 2:31 pm

Quoting MIAspotter (Reply 8):
MIAspotter

Thank you! Oh you live in BCN!! You are lucky!  
Quoting CaptainRed (Reply 9):
CaptainRed

Thanks a lot!  
Quoting abrelosojos (Reply 10):
abrelosojos Fro

Thank you!   Hey working in your firm is very attractive offer so I may agree!    

fxramper

Fri Mar 11, 2011 4:50 pm

Not one picture of you in the report; a shame.   

akhmad

Fri Mar 11, 2011 7:18 pm

Hi Anastasia,

First of all, welcome to the A.net community.

I read your inaugural report as well and I got attracted by your experience with Russian airlines. Like other fellows have stated, they are not covered that much on the forum.

I was kind of hoping that you would prove the people wrong about Transaero. UN flies to Bali as well, you know. Hence my curiosity about their service. Pity about the attitude of one particular FA.

UTAir, I think they are a diamond in the rough. Courteous and reliable service.

I would say, keep the reports coming and congratulations for being an Civil Engineering student!

Cheers,
Suryo
There is no deity except You. Exalted are You. Indeed, I have been of the wrongdoers.

RussianGirl
Topic Author

Sun Mar 13, 2011 7:24 am

Quoting fxramper (Reply 12):
fxramper

Excusez-moi!

Quoting akhmad (Reply 13):
akhmad

Hi Suryo!
Thank you for your kind words!  

Cheers,
Anastasia

Eltomzo

Thu Mar 17, 2011 3:59 am

Quoting akhmad (Reply 13):
UN flies to Bali as well, you know. Hence my curiosity about their service.

I just flew that service. It's a very basic airline as far as my experience goes. As for the service, the dragon comparison works in economy, less so in business.

There are so many other one-stop routes to Bali out of AMS that you can definately do better - unless your ambition is to fly in a classic airliner (i.e. 742/3) in which case go in peak-season (i.e. Russian winter) - it was 763 today and they use 772 sometimes too.

As for joining an alliance - don't hold your breath! I know there is a Russian-sized hole in certain alliances, but there will need to be vast improvement before they are up to standard.

ORDnHKG

Thu Mar 17, 2011 7:13 am

Looks like the plane you flew on your first flight still retain previous owner's (Continental) seats.

OA260

Wed Mar 23, 2011 8:32 am

Hi nice report. Always wondered what those Transaero flights were like and the interior.

Thanks for the report.

OA260

The777Man

Wed Mar 23, 2011 9:18 pm

Hi RussianGirl!

Thanks for another very interesting report with nice pictures! Glad you had a great trip. Just be careful and sit down when there's turbulence. Great that ypu got to try three new aircraft types in one trip!

The777Man
Boeing 777s flown: UA, TG, KE, BA, CX, NH, JD, JL, CZ, SQ, EK, NG, CO, AF, SV, KU, DL, AA, MH, OZ, CA, MS, SU, LY, RG, PE, AZ, KL, VN, PK, EY, NZ, AM, BR, AC, DT, UU, OS, AI, 9W, KQ, QR, VA, JJ, ET, TK, PR, BG, T5, CI, MU and LX.. Further to fly.. LH 777

RussianGirl
Topic Author

Thu Mar 24, 2011 1:24 pm

Quoting OA260 (Reply 17):
OA260

Thanks  
Quoting The777Man (Reply 18):
The777Man

Thank you!