Moderators: richierich, ua900, hOMSaR

Econojetter

RE: 8 Days Around The World -Pt 3: Dutch Trijet Rules!

Tue Mar 22, 2011 2:09 am

Airpearl... thanks for bringing us another fantastic read!

Quoting airpearl (Thread starter):
If pressed for one reason why I'm doing the RTW, this will have to be it: riding on one of the very few scheduled passenger MD11

Oh, so this was the number one reason for this RTW? I'd thought the main reason was what you'll be covering in the next episode.  
We'd apparently arrived on 18R/36L - otherwise known as Polderbaan (isn't it cool that AMS names its runways?) - the

I'm looking forward to landing on this runway one day. Perhaps one is more assured of this runway on very early or late flights (?). It must be really refreshing to do drive around on a Boeing rather than the usual tourbus.

Quoting airpearl (Reply 1):
Sat at my aisle seat 2D, I'm able to survey my surroundings - and yes, it does feel old-fashioned. Forever etched in my

Looking at the interior photos makes me miss the MD-11. It does look old-fashioned compared to the curves of the Boeing Sky Interiors and whatnot, but I think the straight lines make the MD-11 cabin look wider than it is.

The plane also emits a very noticable - actually quite loud - ambient whine even as we sit on the ground. It all feels amazingly retro and nostalgic.

I found the whine rather loud during taxi but it seems to be characteristic of GE-powered MD-11s. I don't recall hearing this sound on PW-powered ones.

The contents of his bread basket send the ladies sitting across the aisle into shrieks of panic, to the obvious delight of our mischievous Senior Purser whose schoolboy prank has obviously worked.

This Usher is such a riot. Isn't it great when the crew themselves enjoy the flight?

This will theoretically be my second B753 airline - but purists may argue that both this plane and my previous B753 flight (on NW) were on planes originally delivered to the same carrier.

Tsk tsk tsk...  

Looking forward to your next one!

airpearl
Topic Author

Tue Mar 22, 2011 2:10 am

Thanks BOACCunard, Mark and Roni for your nice words. It's very much appreciated.  
Quoting BOACCunard (Reply 47):
I always loved trijets and the DC-10 was probably my favorite -- IMHO the least graceful of the three but also probably the nicest to fly on, especially with those wonderful big oval windows.

The DC10's huge windows left a lasting impression on me too. Nothing else comes close, even now - I may have to wait for the Dreamliner for something similar, I think...

(And if you think KL Y looks cramped on an MD-11, try WO, 410 seats, 3-4-3, 16.5" wide and 28" pitch!   )

Yeah, that sounds painful! If I'm not mistaken, the MH D10s were also configured 3-4-3 when I flew them. In their early years they were 2-5-2 but were later re-configured 10-abreast when the B747s joined the fleet and D10s relegated to mainly operate regional routes. MH must have got the idea from WO though - they occasionally had D10s and then later M11s leased from WO.

who knows, the opportunity just may present itself. I guess something like JFK-YUL-AMS-JFK could work. You really do make me want to go out and book a KL MD-11 flight now!

That sounds like a piece of cake. Do it!  
It doesn't make any pretense of offering the fanciest product out there but it gets the important things right and the staff seem to be some of the best out there.

Fully agree. Anecdotal evidence seems to support it too, for we seldom hear people gush about KL (like you do SQ for instance) but then serious complaints are rather sparse too.

Quoting ba319-131 (Reply 48):
decided to take a day off to catch up!

Just love your priorities Mark!  
That's a great price, interesting the ticket desk can't offer the same price, quite odd!

That's what I thought too. But from what I can gather, the cheap upgrade offer isn't offered to everyone but only a select number of passengers who check-in online. Not quite sure though on how these passengers are selected - it's certainly not determined by frequent flyer status (I have none on SkyTeam) or fare paid. Still, I'm not complaining.

Hmm, not my idea of a nice starter, i'd have had to pass.

Overall I'm not at all keen on the food offerings, too much fish type meals and the coconut in the pre-arrival meal, which actually looked good, if you don't like these then you were a bit stuck for food.

The main meal wasn't my favorite either, while the second one was great - but very spicy. KLM's catering is definitely a bit less airline conventional, as was the service on my flight!

Quoting ronerone (Reply 49):
Another brilliant TR from you Airpearl! Thanks for this excellent write-up on your RTW continuation. You are so lucky to catch a lovely trijet, and the KL MD11 (hopefully to SXM, if an L1011 miracle does not pop up somewhere) is definitely on my list.

Hey Roni, good to see you here! When you're away from A.Net for a while, we can always assume another Roni masterpiece is in progress?!   Yes, the ultimate M11 flight is the one to SXM but it's only once-weekly. Or you can catch the really long one down to UIO before it turns 77W at the start of the next northern winter season.

Back in those days, i used to avoid the Northwest DC10 because i wanted newer planes, and boy do i regret this!

Aah, how we used to only want to fly the newest planes, and now we hanker for nostalgia. Wisdom comes with age, my friend.

KLM definitely has some of the best crew out there, and i always find their overall product offering to be rather slick. It may not be fancy or nauseatingly frilled, but it's got a clean balance to it that is more than satisfactory

Agreed! Nauseatingly frilled? I wonder which airline you could be referring to there? Haha.

Come to think of it, i have not been on either a 700 or a 900!

You know, if someone was to assess your flying patterns from your trip reports, they''ll think that expect in rare circumstances, you only fly widebodies...  
Having flown within Europe recently, i find this KLM offering to be quite generous! I much like the simple presentation.

An upcoming TR?

But i had no idea Changi's design was based on AMS?

I am sure I read it somewhere before. Things have obviously evolved since, but I think you can feel that conceptually, they're similar.

And ain't credit dangerous!

And boy, do I know it... hahaha. But we never learn, do we?

I guess Delta has kept this 'feature' from the days of Song (and since those days, i keep that Song menu preserved)!

It's a nice menu actually - paper quality is almost as good as some of the stuff you get in J class on some airlines.

Thank you once again for an excellent report that somewhat has me a little nostalgic! .. I cannot wait for the next one! My apologies for my late arrival .. My OTP is becoming like RJ's circa 1980's!  

Haha... or BG's now! But don't worry about it Roni, great you could stop by, my friend. I'm slowly working on Part 4 now, and trying to cut down on the pics - too many!

Cheers
airpearl

airpearl
Topic Author

Tue Mar 22, 2011 2:31 am

Hey Econojetter, thanks for dropping by...  
Quoting Econojetter (Reply 50):
Oh, so this was the number one reason for this RTW? I'd thought the main reason was what you'll be covering in the next episode.

Hey, all in good time, all in good time my friend... you know there needs to be a natural build up to these things  
I'm looking forward to landing on this runway one day. Perhaps one is more assured of this runway on very early or late flights (?). It must be really refreshing to do drive around on a Boeing rather than the usual tourbus

Haha, indeed. As long as you're not rushing for a connection. Then it's a nice drive - we were moving along at quite a brisk pace too so it did feel somehow "different" from regular taxiing.

Looking at the interior photos makes me miss the MD-11. It does look old-fashioned compared to the curves of the Boeing Sky Interiors and whatnot, but I think the straight lines make the MD-11 cabin look wider than it is.

Those interiors are almost unchanged from the DC10 days. Looking back at the early DC10 and L1011 cabin pictures, they seemed like such a revolution in air travel then - in the 1970s. What's been happening to plane interiors since is rather cosmetic, in comparison.

This Usher is such a riot. Isn't it great when the crew themselves enjoy the flight?

He was the right guy for this occasion at least... makes for a much better story, and very memorable flight!  

Thanks for your comments and hope you're keeping well.

Cheers
airpearl

ronerone

Tue Mar 22, 2011 4:34 pm

Quoting airpearl (Reply 51):
When you're away from A.Net for a while, we can always assume another Roni masterpiece is in progress?!

Haha .. I wouldn't say a masterpiece, but a very short TR is upcoming.

An upcoming TR?

Yes, i do have a couple i am quite excited about  
I'm slowly working on Part 4 now, and trying to cut down on the pics - too many!

i cannot wait for the next one my friend! ..  

Cheers,
Roni
Fly Roni. Aviation Journeys. Photos. Videos.

PlaneHunter

Thu Mar 24, 2011 7:48 am

Hi Airpearl,

I'm back from my UAE vacation and can leave some comments! I already read your latest masterpiece last week, but didn't have any time for an extended reply any more. You managed to post another entertaining report full of details and fantastic pictures!         

And it's destinations that matter: "so how was London?" I am asked on my return. Very cold and dark, I say. Hotel's nice and really convenient for the airport. Lots of running hot water in the bathroom. Polite bus drivers... my friends outside this forum are so barking up the wrong tree.

Great!

So off I pop to another counter where a ticketing agent says he knows nothing of the online offer. The only upgrade to business class he can offer is based on the published fare, and that'll cost me a couple thousand euro! No, thank you.

Wow, not a good start. But you were lucky in the end to get the desired upgrade.

The speech ends with wishes for a good flight on "this really fantastic Boeing 737-800."

Isn't it great to have enthusiastic pilots up front?

And for someone traveling round-the-world with hardly a decent stop along the way, I think this qualifies as sightseeing.

Other MDs include Mother Teresa, opera singer Maria Callas and physicist Marie Curie, making for a truly eclectic mix.

...and not to forget Audrey Hepburn (PH-KCE) which I flew on some years ago. It was my first MD-11 flight (MSP-AMS), enjoyed it a lot.

Perhaps I am too transfixed at the view outside, I have nothing recorded in my note book about the process: the horror of it!

Haha, sounds familiar...  
It's while we're having the appetiser that Usher comes round on his second bread roll run, not so long after his first. Most passengers waive the bread basket away without really looking, but Usher is insistent: "are you sure?" he asks, refusing to go away. The contents of his bread basket send the ladies sitting across the aisle into shrieks of panic, to the obvious delight of our mischievous Senior Purser whose schoolboy prank has obviously worked. I can't believe this is happening in Business Class - it's so Fawlty Towers! Usher obliges when I ask to take a picture but "as long as you're not planning to sue us," he says.

Very odd. Never seen anything like that before. Not really funny IMO.

but the seat configuration changing to 3-3-3 from 2-4-3 before isn't necessarily better.

I'd prefer 2-4-3 over 3-3-3 at any time.

KLM is also one of the very few airlines keeping alive the tradition of parting gifts. The giving away of Delft blue huisje - replica of real buildings in Holland - are much anticipated events. Liberated house number 56 - Herengracht 64 "De Werelt" in Amsterdam - makes it safely around the world with me.

Wow, very impressive. Nice!

Delta Air Lines flight DL 1151 Boeing 757-351 N591NW

Very nice, I also flew on this bird. Actually it was my first 753 flight (LAX-MSP), directly followed by my first MD-11 flight (as mentioned above).

"Welcome aboard this nonstop Delta service to Anchorage, Alaska... oops sorry, I mean Honolulu, Hawaii." A tad predictable, but it gets big laughs from the jolly holiday-makers heading for the sun. A much stranger announcement comes ahead of the screening of the safety video. "Please pay attention to the safety aspects of this McDonell Douglas 757 aircraft," comes the serious spiel over the p.a. What? This is totally unbelievable. What's amazing is that no one else even noticed the mistake!

Oh no, that hurts...

Thanks again for this amazing report!

PH
Nothing's worse than flying the same reg twice!

airpearl
Topic Author

Thu Mar 31, 2011 9:20 am

Hey PH, thanks so much for your comments and kind words. Nice of you to stop by.

Quoting PlaneHunter (Reply 54):
I'm back from my UAE vacation and can leave some comments!

That sounds exciting! And we can expect a report soon?  
Isn't it great to have enthusiastic pilots up front?

Makes a difference I think. At the very least inspires confidence for the general flying public and, more importantly, crucial info for trip reporters! hahaha

.and not to forget Audrey Hepburn (PH-KCE) which I flew on some years ago. It was my first MD-11 flight (MSP-AMS), enjoyed it a lot.

Cool. But it wasn't a trip report, was it? I don't remember reading it.

Very odd. Never seen anything like that before. Not really funny IMO.

I was fine with it but this was definitely in the "grey" area of both comedy and taste. I was just glad for the really unique experience - you definitely can't say this was a boring flight!

Very nice, I also flew on this bird. Actually it was my first 753 flight (LAX-MSP), directly followed by my first MD-11 flight (as mentioned above).

Wow, so cool.

Cheers
airpearl

MD11Bob

Sun Apr 03, 2011 4:58 pm

Hello airpearl,

amazing trip report here, very good that you managed to get your upgrade in the end. Looking forward for the next part of your RTW (even though it will be without MD-11   )

Correct me if I'm wrong, but there doesn't seem to be much love lost on A.Net with the "old and flawed" design of the MD11, not to mention its predecessor, the DC10 - which is a shame. There's sometimes the odd positive statement, but generally, there are relatively few fans of these trijets. I wonder why that is, and maybe it's due to our obsession with all that is new and latest - and that, by definition, will always be "better". For me, their passing represents the end of a golden era in civil aviation when wide-cabin airliners (that include the B747 classics and L1011 Tristars) redefined the way the world flew, and when airlines were run by people more interested in aviation, than fuel hedging or financial bottom lines. Alas no more.

Couldn´t be said any better!

Robert

N178UA

Wed Apr 06, 2011 2:43 pm

Hi AirPearl

Tremendous Trip Report! Enjoy reading it from the top to the end! Great photography as well!

Especially love the opening picture....what a great way to feature the MD-11 middle engine   very creative!

Always thought you went to SXM last winter....and I think I miss the opportunity to meet you by 12 hours or so in KUL....

The little trick from "Usher" kinda shocked me too.....only imagine i might lost the whole appetite there onboard......

Cheers
Sam
For more of myself and my flight reviews visit http://www.SamChui.com