Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

PlaneHunter
Topic Author

RE: San Francisco Sunshine...and A Frontier Fiasco

Thu Jun 23, 2011 1:40 pm

Quoting lychemsa (Reply 49):
LOL a Light yoghurt with 50 calories. I hate these sacharin yoghurts. it's crazy that they don't serve a normal yoghurt.

Yes, give me a normal one any day!

PH
Nothing's worse than flying the same reg twice!

NZ107

Sun Jun 26, 2011 11:14 am

Hi PH,

Another great TR. Excellent photos which take me back to last November and also Jan 2002, when I first went to San Francisco and saw Alcatraz. I thank you somewhat for choosing Frontier - an airline which I had contemplated flying!

Quoting PlaneHunter (Thread starter):
After dinner we took a taxi to the Coit Tower at Telegraph Hill…

Hmm, maybe I should have paid to visit the top of Coit Tower.. Oh well!

What would a visit to San Francisco be without a cable car ride? We took the famous Powell & Mason Line back and forth:

Great trip - I love hanging off the side of the cable car! But it's pretty expensive!

A disappointment about the first flight in terms of seat, food and smell. That's what I think I would have got if I went through with my other plan to go to DEN (or E190).

I think it's a huge shame that so many things had to go bad on the next leg from going tech and a lengthy delay to the bad tempered FA. I'm sure there are also good crews - crews which may have changed your opinion about them but as it stands, I guess they are "The Same Animal" after taking everything into account. I guess I won't be in much of a rush to try Frontier out now! Gotta get the rest of the American airlines under my belt first starting with AA and DL!

Thanks for sharing!

Cheers,
Nicholas
It's all about the destination AND the journey.

ba319-131

Mon Jun 27, 2011 6:07 pm

Great report PH,

Took a while, finally got around to this one, well worth the wait!

I have to say your brother has taken some excellent pictures!

welcome to Alcatraz Island

- I've still not found the time to visit this place, it's high on the list!

Coit Tower at Telegraph Hill

- Never heard of this, great viewss!

A young lady two rows behind us had started to chat intensively with her seat neighbor and she awfully giggled after every sentence - and that wouldn't change for the next two hours...

- Don't you hate these noisy/annoying passengers, I like piece and quiet myself to enjory the scenery, read or sleep.

We had been optimistic, but ten minutes later the captain asked us to leave the aircraft and said that we would be kept updated in the gate area.  
The screen at the gate showed a new departure time of 3:00 PM which wouldn't have been too bad...but some 15 minutes later it changed to 5:43 PM which was a big disappointment!

- Yikes, that's some hike in the delay!

At least I got some more Frontier and Republic registrations:

- That's the golden opportunity  
I noticed that people in the adjacent gate A34 were apparently boarding a flight - but it said "Kansas City" on the screen. Some minutes later I realized that the Kansas City flight was scheduled to leave at 7:15 PM, more than an hour away. That was strange and I decided to ask one of the passengers in line which flight they were going to board. I was shocked when he said "Las Vegas"! So the gate for our flight had been changed and boarding had started - but neither the one nor the other had been announced over the loudspeakers. According to the very passenger, an announcement had only been made directly at the gate. We had been seated only some 30 meters away and hadn't heard anything. I can only wonder why the actual destination wasn't shown on the new gate's screen. So we would have almost missed our flight despite the fact that we had been around all the time.  

- It's very poor the flight was not announced, despite advising pax to remain in the gate area, with this length of delay people will wander off.

" We also got two electronic certificates in the amount of $150 each which provides a discount on a future Frontier Airlines flight (valid one year). So will I give Frontier a second chance? Probably.

- That was something at least. I don't think it's fare to judge Frontier on this one flight, planes go tech and crew can have an off day, we all can, will be interesting to see how they perform next time you try them out.

Cheers

Mark
111 732 733 734 735 736 73G 738 739,7M8 BBJ 741 742 743 744 752 753 762 763 764 772 77L 773 77W L15 D10 D30 D40 AB3 AB6 312 313 318 319 320 20N 321 21N 332 333 342 343 345 346 359 351 388 CS1 CS3 I86 154 SSJ CRJ CR7 CR9 CRK 145 170 175 220

MSS658

Sat Jul 02, 2011 7:24 pm

Nice addition to your trip report series! Makes me feel sorry I've never been out West before  .
Sorry to hear about your FA expercience, makes me think about another "US" carrier.
Next trip report: Well worn A330s and Hassle free MUC transfer

PlaneHunter
Topic Author

Tue Jul 05, 2011 12:40 pm

Quoting NZ107 (Reply 51):
Another great TR. Excellent photos which take me back to last November and also Jan 2002, when I first went to San Francisco and saw Alcatraz.

Hi Nicholas, thanks for your comments!

I thank you somewhat for choosing Frontier - an airline which I had contemplated flying!

I think you should try some others first, e.g. jetBlue and Virgin America.

Hmm, maybe I should have paid to visit the top of Coit Tower.. Oh well!

Maybe next time?

That's what I think I would have got if I went through with my other plan to go to DEN (or E190).

Probably, yes.

I guess they are "The Same Animal" after taking everything into account.

Well, at least they have whole different animals on the tails...  

Quoting BA319-131 (Reply 52):
Took a while, finally got around to this one, well worth the wait!

I have to say your brother has taken some excellent pictures!

Hi Mark, many thanks for your feeback!

I've still not found the time to visit this place, it's high on the list!

I can only recommend to go there.

- Don't you hate these noisy/annoying passengers, I like piece and quiet myself to enjory the scenery, read or sleep.

That was something at least. I don't think it's fare to judge Frontier on this one flight, planes go tech and crew can have an off day, we all can, will be interesting to see how they perform next time you try them out.

Yes, the question is when.

Quoting MSS658 (Reply 53):
Nice addition to your trip report series!

Thanks for commenting, MSS658!

Quoting MSS658 (Reply 53):
Makes me feel sorry I've never been out West before

It's never too late!

PH

ronerone

Fri Jul 15, 2011 1:17 pm

PH!

Excellent read, and while it is also an excellent report, too bad the experience wasn't! and i am actually quite surprised at the rude crew on your last flight to LAS.

Judging by the beautiful pictures of San Fran, at least that experience turned out to be a positive one  
The last breakfast menu before the prison’s closure:

At least they got a menu; unlike many Economy Class flights  
Our plane turned out to be N873RW, painted in full Midwest colors:

Midwest was one airline i had always wanted to try when i lived in the US.

Stale croissant, hard and tasteless fruit pieces and an average yogurt – I cannot recommend to buy that!

Definitely not worth 6USD!

.anyway, the old-style leather seats were quite comfortable:

I suppose they were more comfortable that those on the Midwest aircraft.

The screen at the gate showed a new departure time of 3:00 PM which wouldn't have been too bad...but some 15 minutes later it changed to 5:43 PM which was a big disappointment! Embarrassment
A gate agent made an announcement and promised that all passengers would get a flight coupon worth $100 as compensation. Well, that couldn't improve our mood because we would still lose lots of time in Las Vegas - and we didn't know when we would travel to the United States again.

Then I contacted a (very friendly) female Frontier agent near the gate and asked about the possibility of a cancellation. She said that there were no plans to cancel the flight - actually Frontier was planning to use a plane inbound from Chicago. However, she told me that we should check the gate status every 20 minutes just in case another replacement aircraft would be available sooner than currently planned. Well, that meant that we would be stuck in that boring area around gate A36 for more than three hours. And you cannot really do much there.

In the next few hours, I permanently checked the status of the inbound flight from Chicago. It was running a bit late, but I was confident that Frontier would be able to get the plane ready again until 5:43 PM

Wow what a crazy fiasco indeed! I don't mind delays on long-haul flights, but they are totally not worth it on short-hauls.

Some 20 minutes prior to the alleged new departure time, gate A36 was still deserted. The broken aircraft hadn't been removed yet either and I was really wondering where the plane from Chicago had been parked - I hadn't been aware of a gate change. Then I noticed that people in the adjacent gate A34 were apparently boarding a flight - but it said "Kansas City" on the screen. Some minutes later I realized that the Kansas City flight was scheduled to leave at 7:15 PM, more than an hour away. That was strange and I decided to ask one of the passengers in line which flight they were going to board. I was shocked when he said "Las Vegas"! So the gate for our flight had been changed and boarding had started - but neither the one nor the other had been announced over the loudspeakers. According to the very passenger, an announcement had only been made directly at the gate. We had been seated only some 30 meters away and hadn't heard anything. I can only wonder why the actual destination wasn't shown on the new gate's screen. So we would have almost missed our flight despite the fact that we had been around all the time.

Very strange. You would have thought they would update the info on the FIDS!

The replacement aircraft at the gate turned out to be N902FR, the oldest A319 in the fleet:

Well the upside of all this, is that you got 3 aircraft for the price of 2  

Thanks a lot for sharing, and apologies for my late arrival  

Cheers,
Roni
Fly Roni. Aviation Journeys. Photos. Videos.

PlaneHunter
Topic Author

Tue Jul 19, 2011 6:53 pm

Quoting ronerone (Reply 55):
Excellent read, and while it is also an excellent report

Hi Roni, many thanks for your nice comments!

Judging by the beautiful pictures of San Fran, at least that experience turned out to be a positive one

Absolutely!

At least they got a menu; unlike many Economy Class flights

Yeah, good point!  

Midwest was one airline i had always wanted to try when i lived in the US.

I had always wanted to try it's famous product, too. But all I got in the end was a LCC-style flight on a Republic plane in Midwest colors...  

I suppose they were more comfortable that those on the Midwest aircraft.

That's right.

Well the upside of all this, is that you got 3 aircraft for the price of 2

Well, I'd say that doesn't count.  

Thanks a lot for sharing, and apologies for my late arrival

No worries!

PH

swedenflyer

Sun Nov 10, 2013 3:24 pm

"No matter what the situation our flight attendants should provide a friendly tone and accommodating personality."

I flew F9 just this week on PDX-DEN-DCA, and on the DEN-DCA leg, the flight attendants did not seem to care about the passengers at all. They did one drink run at the beginning of the the flight, and they disappeared for the rest of the flight. When I got off the plane in DC, I thanked the lead F/A, and he replied by saying, "Mmm-hmm." He didn't even attempt to make eye contact with me, and that was pretty rude. I guess the pay cuts are taking a toll on the customer service.
FlyingFinn76, abrelosojos

CaliAtenza

Sun Nov 10, 2013 8:27 pm

Excellent trip report here, loved the pictures of SF  . Wow, that crew member on Frontier sounds horrible, remind me not to fly them...

Superfly

Tue Nov 12, 2013 2:53 am

Picture taken by my brother

Your brother is a great photographer!

The famous seals are always nice to watch:

Glad to see they made a return. A few years ago there was fear that a major earthquake was coming because the seals had split.

we took a taxi to the Coit Tower at Telegraph Hill…

Tourist!   

That livery is not bad, but I would have preferred the Frontier colors the plane used to wear:

I like the Midwest livery much more. Glad I had a chance to fly on their 717 Signature Series 88 seater before they were converted, then eventually sold.

As soon as we stepped on board, I noticed a bad air quality - and the green leather seats weren't comfortable at all:
Legroom wasn't great either:

Dude, it's an EMB190.

...with integrated buy-on-board menu:

Glad to see Wisconsin's cheese heritage alive and well on the shadow carrier of Midwest.

. A young lady two rows behind us had started to chat intensively with her seat neighbor and she awfully giggled after every sentence - and that wouldn't change for the next two hours...

Valley Girls!   

Nevertheless, the scenery was nice:

Of course. It has a gorgeous bare polished metal American Airlines MD-80.

. "I have to move you", she harshly said and of course we were quite irritated to hear that. I quickly replied that he had indeed said "yes" and that the delay may have simply been caused by a slight tiredness after that four-hour delay. "So what's the problem?", I asked. She looked at me as if I was an enemy. "I haven't talked to you", she snarled and pointed out snappishly that she simply had to do her job. I was really amazed again about that rude and military-like reaction. thumbsdown

Welcome to the unfriendly skies of the US.

San Francisco was my home for 15 years until moving to Bangkok 3 years ago. Great to see images of my old hometown. Looks like nothing has changed.
Great report too!  
Bring back the Concorde

gabrielchew

Tue Nov 12, 2013 6:30 pm

Hey Udo! Great photos from SF...I really need to go and pay a visit!

Some 20 minutes prior to the alleged new departure time, gate A36 was still deserted. The broken aircraft hadn't been removed yet either and I was really wondering where the plane from Chicago had been parked - I hadn't been aware of a gate change. Then I noticed that people in the adjacent gate A34 were apparently boarding a flight - but it said "Kansas City" on the screen. Some minutes later I realized that the Kansas City flight was scheduled to leave at 7:15 PM, more than an hour away. That was strange and I decided to ask one of the passengers in line which flight they were going to board. I was shocked when he said "Las Vegas"! So the gate for our flight had been changed and boarding had started - but neither the one nor the other had been announced over the loudspeakers. According to the very passenger, an announcement had only been made directly at the gate. We had been seated only some 30 meters away and hadn't heard anything. I can only wonder why the actual destination wasn't shown on the new gate's screen. So we would have almost missed our flight despite the fact that we had been around all the time. Embarrassment

Urgh, it's costs very little to provide proper information, and there really is NO excuse for pax not to be kept fully updated, other than laziness and contempt by Frontier employees.

A grumpy looking female flight attendant in the 50s (not the one with the signal red lips) explained the emergency exit rules and then asked us to confirm that we had understood her by saying "yes". She first pointed towards my brother who did answer, but just not straight away - at least not as fast as the lady had obviously expected him to do so. "I have to move you", she harshly said and of course we were quite irritated to hear that. I quickly replied that he had indeed said "yes" and that the delay may have simply been caused by a slight tiredness after that four-hour delay. "So what's the problem?", I asked. She looked at me as if I was an enemy. "I haven't talked to you", she snarled and pointed out snappishly that she simply had to do her job. I was really amazed again about that rude and military-like reaction. thumbsdown

I hope you got her name when you wrote to management...what a b!tch! Good that you didn't loose your cool.
http://my.flightmemory.com/shefgab Upcoming flights: AMS-RIX-BUD-VDA,ETH-TLV-FCO-LHR,STN-TXL-LCY,LTN-CPH-LTN,LGW-SZG,MUC-LHR

PlaneHunter
Topic Author

Tue Nov 26, 2013 10:21 am

Quoting swedenflyer (Reply 57):
I flew F9 just this week on PDX-DEN-DCA, and on the DEN-DCA leg, the flight attendants did not seem to care about the passengers at all. They did one drink run at the beginning of the the flight, and they disappeared for the rest of the flight. When I got off the plane in DC, I thanked the lead F/A, and he replied by saying, "Mmm-hmm." He didn't even attempt to make eye contact with me, and that was pretty rude. I guess the pay cuts are taking a toll on the customer service.

That's very bad!

Quoting caliatenza (Reply 58):
Excellent trip report here, loved the pictures of SF

Thank you!

Quoting caliatenza (Reply 58):
Wow, that crew member on Frontier sounds horrible, remind me not to fly them...

At least they have nice tails, but that's it.

Quoting Superfly (Reply 59):
Your brother is a great photographer!

I'll tell him!

Glad to see they made a return. A few years ago there was fear that a major earthquake was coming because the seals had split.

Interesting, hadn't heard that yet.

Tourist!

Alternative?

I like the Midwest livery much more. Glad I had a chance to fly on their 717 Signature Series 88 seater before they were converted, then eventually sold.

Good old days!

Dude, it's an EMB190.

The E-Jets used to be famous for generous legroom.

Great report too!

Thanks!

Quoting gabrielchew (Reply 60):
Hey Udo! Great photos from SF...I really need to go and pay a visit!

Thank you, Gabriel!

Urgh, it's costs very little to provide proper information, and there really is NO excuse for pax not to be kept fully updated, other than laziness and contempt by Frontier employees.

I can only agree.

I hope you got her name when you wrote to management...what a b!tch! Good that you didn't loose your cool.

I sent a letter of complaint and I'm quite sure they were able to identify her. The question is whether they were willing to react.

PH

Superfly

Wed Nov 27, 2013 1:55 am

Quoting PlaneHunter (Reply 61):
I'll tell him!
Interesting, hadn't heard that yet.

Nothing scientific to back it up, just speculations and wild theories.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/8437395.stm

Alternative?

None really. In San Francisco, we just like bitching about tourist.   
Depending on your mood, it is walkable.

Good old days!

It was only 6 years ago.

Larry Craig, NWA DC9, Midwest 717 And Lots Of Beer (by Superfly Nov 28 2007 in Trip Reports)#1

The E-Jets used to be famous for generous legroom.

Compared to mainline?
Didn't the Bae146/Avro85 have more room?
Bring back the Concorde