santos
Topic Author

Did Anyone Just Say Mateus? LIS-VRL

Sun Nov 13, 2011 11:58 am

Hi everyone, this is my first trip report.
I was in Lisbon visiting friends and family, as i had a few days to myself i decided to do something for the day. I was looking online for alternative routes-FNC has been done many times on here. So then I came across AeroVip.
www.aerovip.pt also available in English.

For those who never heard of them, they fly LISBON-VILA REAL-BRAGANCA.
They use a Dornier 228 twice Daily on this route(Monday to Friday only)

I took lots of pictures as i intended to make a big trip report, i uploaded some into my laptop, but since then i have lost my memory card, i still got some that got saved onto my laptop, shame i can’t show them all.

I had to send an email requesting my booking; the price was about £100 return. I flew LIS-VRL / VRL-LIS
I was able to choose my seats at the time of booking, which was nice.

At LIS airport, terminal 2
RVP852 LIS 9:45AM- VRL10:55AM

Boarding

I boarded the plane; there was no flight attendants apart from the captain and his assistant
It was a steep climb; there were other 12 passengers on board. I was very lucky with the weather, it was October and i had a cloudless day
No in-flight service, but all seats had a bottle of water.

Guarda I think

Wine region

I arrived at Vila Real Airport within 50 minutes, most passengers left and within 15 minutes the plane took off again for its final destination- Braganca.

As i left the airplane

I have been to Vila Real before, so i did some research and came across Mateus Palace, for those that ever heard of or tried Mateus wine, the picture of the Mansion is used on the label of the wine bottle(as is produced nearby).
The Mansion is located about 3 miles from the airport.
So i decided to do a guided tour of the Mansion, gardens and its vineyard

Mateus Mansion

And it's well kept gardens

More Gardens

They still produce and sell their own wine here

Church within the Mansion

Sadly no pictures inside the mansion, as it's owners still live there.

After a few hours at the mansion, i decided to explore the little village of Mateus, while small it was very charming:
Mateus Village

Had a lovely lunch in a local restaurant and visited a few more wine shops.

Quiet way of life here

Soon it was time to make my way back to the airport, i arranged a time and pick up point with the same taxi driver.

RVP853 VRL 15:10PM- LIS16:10PM
Arriving from Braganca

Close up

Ready for take-off?

The return flight was full, again i had my allocated front row.
It was another nice journey, the usual turn over the Tagus river and fly over the city of Lisbon.

Overall i had a lovely time, such a fun way to spend a day.
Maybe next time i will go all the way to Braganza.
Good small airline, just hope they can keep this route.

Santos

gabrielchew

RE: Did Anyone Just Say Mateus? LIS-VRL

Sun Nov 13, 2011 12:22 pm

Nice short report. Did you get any photos of the airports? I had no idea there were any domestic Portugeuse routes outisde of the FAO,LIS,OPO triangle. Nice that you visited the Mateus chateau, I went there as a kid.
http://my.flightmemory.com/shefgab Upcoming flights: AMS-RIX-BUD-VDA,ETH-TLV-FCO-LHR,STN-TXL-LCY,LTN-CPH-LTN,LGW-SZG,MUC-LHR

FlyingFinn76

Sun Nov 13, 2011 12:37 pm

Hi Santos (Dumont?  ),

Great stuff - I've been wondering about these Portuguese regional hops ever since I saw these flights on the departure board of LIS airport some years ago while waiting for my IB flight to MAD. Now I finally got some more inside scoop on them, thanks a lot for that!

I love Mateus Rose - such a nice and refreshing wine, very appropriate for the hot Portuguese sunshine and very affordable there as well. That mansion looks nice, maybe I'll do the same thing as you did one day - still have to catch the small Dornier somewhere.

santos
Topic Author

Sun Nov 13, 2011 12:45 pm

Quoting gabrielchew (Reply 1):
Did you get any photos of the airports?

I did have an aerial picture of Vila Real airport, but as i said it's on the memory card i can't find 
Gutted as i took lots of pictures of the plane.
It was a vey basic airport.
Small waiting room, small fire station, a police car came in to open the airport on my return.

FlyingFinn76- It was a great day trip. Mateus Rose is very popular, and i will be honest, i'm not a wine drinker. But it was fun.

MSS658

Sun Nov 13, 2011 1:35 pm

Hi

Nice trip report to Villa real. The Portuguese archictecture/landscaping has always impressed me.
Nice to see the Donier 228 in your leg as well!

Greetings
Marc
Next trip report: Well worn A330s and Hassle free MUC transfer

The777Man

Sun Nov 13, 2011 5:32 pm

Hi Dantos !

Thanks for a nice report with nice pictures ! Seems like a nice short flight on a rare aircraft and extra nice going to the Mateus Winery! The mansion looks great !

The777Man
Boeing 777s flown: UA, TG, KE, BA, CX, NH, JD, JL, CZ, SQ, EK, NG, CO, AF, SV, KU, DL, AA, MH, OZ, CA, MS, SU, LY, RG, PE, AZ, KL, VN, PK, EY, NZ, AM, BR, AC, DT, UU, OS, AI, 9W, KQ, QR, VA, JJ, ET, TK, PR, BG, T5, CI, MU and LX.. Further to fly.. LH 777

Buyantukhaa

Tue Nov 15, 2011 6:25 pm

Nice trip, did it myself twice, on one of those I continued to Braganca.

Quoting santos (Thread starter):
Guarda I think

That's Regua on the Douro river.
I scratch my head, therefore I am.

taichen

Tue Nov 15, 2011 8:01 pm

So nice ! I have always dreamt of flying this route !

Quoting gabrielchew (Reply 1):
I had no idea there were any domestic Portugeuse routes outisde of the FAO,LIS,OPO triangle.

I think it is a PSO route. But there are (were ?) plans to build a larger airport at Bragança ... who knows. This is Bragaça airport official web page. Yep, THIS is the website, no joke. The airport is owned and administered by the city council, not by ANA like the bigger airports at OPO,LIS and FAO. LIS-VRL-BRG it is now flown by Aerovip, which took the route from the former operator Aerocondor http://airline-memorabilia.blogspot.com/2011/02/aerocondor-1999.html

Portugal is a small country and of course there is not much of a domestic flight scene. In the 80's and 90's TAP had a regional subsidiary with some crazy routes like Braga-Porto

http://www.timetableimages.com/ttimages/th85.htm

santos
Topic Author

Wed Nov 16, 2011 7:46 am

Quoting BuyantUkhaa (Reply 6):
That's Regua on the Douro river.

Thank you for the correction, i wasn't sure if it was Regua or Guarda.

Quoting taichen (Reply 7):
In the 80's and 90's TAP had a regional subsidiary with some crazy routes like Braga-Porto

Thank you for posting the timetable, i didn't know that flights such as Braga-Porto and Faro-Portimao existed.

taichen

Wed Nov 16, 2011 12:24 pm

Well, I forgot the Bragança airport webpage. Again, THIS is the airport official webpage.

http://www.cm-braganca.pt/PageGen.aspx?SYS_PAGE_ID=486927