Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

MadameConcorde
Topic Author

ANA 787 Dreamliner HND-FRA 1st Long Haul Inaugural

Thu Jan 26, 2012 6:50 pm

Sleepless over Siberia.

The story of the ANA Boeing 787 Dreamliner Tokyo Haneda - Frankfurt First Long Haul Inaugural Flight 21 January 2012. The first ever commercial long haul flight for the new Boeing 787 Dreamliner, a new step taken in aviation history by ANA and Boeing with this new all-carbon fiber aircraft.

How it all started.

My first eye to eye meeting with the new Boeing 787 Dreamliner happened in 2010 at the Farnborough Air Show. Prototype ZA003 made her first landing in Europe the Sunday 18 July to be in the static display for only a short time.

My first glimpse of her happened on the Tuesday as the B-787 prototype departed from the air field back to Seattle with two Spitfires on her wings.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rUpH3Qwn-1E

I had watched the Internet live cast of the B-787's very first take off on the Boeing website and I liked the new aircraft very much but I must say that seeing her amazing flexed wings and graceful ideally proportioned body and engines I was smitten the moment I saw her flying.

I named her Princess Dreamliner and from there I knew I wanted to fly on her on the first ever commercial flight that would be made available.

About two years later...

The announcement came by ANA that a inaugural package tour with the first passenger flight was scheduled on 26 October 2011... that day being my birthday. I said to myself... this could be a repeat of the first A380 inaugural flight 25/26 October 2007 with Singapore Airlines with a most memorable birthday party on board.

Things were very different this time. The ANA 787 HKG package tour and first ever passenger flights would not be accessible to all.

ANA organized a lottery for their SkyMiles Club Members residing in Japan to provide access to 100 coach seats. Each member could register for the lottery with their SkyMiles card number and bring one companion traveller. The cost of the ticket per person being 78,700 Yen for the round trip flights including the one night hotel in Hong Kong.

ANA also decided to auction off six of the 12 business-class seats on Yahoo Japan and on eBay and to donate the proceeds to environmental conservation groups—a nod to the Dreamliner's fuel efficiency. The rest of the seats would go for the media and invited guests.

I was interviewed by the Wall Street Journal. It went like this...

"" "" Over in Europe, Madame Concorde, 59, wasn't so lucky.

Madame Concorde, who also was on the first A380 flight, contacted ANA in Paris about the Dreamliner's debut. The Tokyo-Hong Kong charter would be on her birthday, she explained, and wouldn't it be nice if the Japanese carrier offered her a seat? "It didn't make any difference," says Madame Concorde, who lives in Monaco.

She didn't give up completely. Some of her friends and relatives living in Japan entered the 100-seat coach lottery and listed her as a companion traveler.

But ANA received about 14,300 applications listing 25,500 travelers, and none of Madame Concorde's contacts were among the winners.

However, she secured herself a consolation prize. She bought a ticket on ANA's first scheduled long-haul international flight—from Tokyo to Frankfurt—on the Dreamliner in January. "It would have been wonderful to be on the Hong Kong flight," says Madame Concorde, who is retired from a career in finance. But the long-haul flight "will be more like the real thing." ""

After my failed attempts on the ANA lottery...

The moment came when the long haul inaugural flight sale went live on the ANA Skyweb site --the 787 not being yet confirmed as the aircraft operating the flight--

I booked myself on the first ANA 787 Dreamliner Haneda-Frankfurt flight and bought the ticket. I added two ANA Japan domestic flights. The Frankfurt to Narita would be with Lufthansa. This was to be on a A380 that became a A346 the day before the flight.

Travel Itineary - booked on ANA SkyWeb

11 Jan. LH1059 Nice - Frankfurt
11 Jan. NH6002 Frankfurt - Tokyo Narita

12 Jan. NH815 Tokyo Haneda - Yonago
20 Jan. NH820 Yonago - Tokyo Haneda

21 Jan. NH203 Tokyo Haneda - Frankfurt
21 Jan. LH1060 Frankfurt - Nice

Welcome to Japan!

After enduring a long flight with almost no sleep sitting in a tight window seat in the back of a Lufthansa A346 for more than 11 hours I was happy to get out of that crowded long Airbus and be able to walk the long walk in the terminal to immigration and recuperate my suitcase at the baggage carrousel.

I wish I could have spent a couple of days spotting at Nartia but my time through NRT was short. Not knowing how much time it would take me to get to Haneda with the Tokyo morning traffic I had to quickly get on a coach that would take me there in plenty of time to catch my flight to the coast of Western Japan.

I went to the Bus counter and bought a ticket to Haneda. Cost 3,000 Yen.

I directed myself to pier 12 to get the bus. It took about 10 minutes waiting on a cold Narita morning for the bus to come.

The direct road trip to Haneda airport took over one hour. I knew we would hit some traffic on the way but it could have been a lot worse.

We reached Haneda Airport and I got off the bus at the ANA Japan Domestic Terminal 1.

I had to get my boarding pass for the domestic flight and check my suitcase again after which I went through the security check and on to the boarding area. It all went relatively quickly as I had access to the priority lines.

I went to the ANA lounge. I did not really want any drinks or food. My only curiosity was to find out if I would be lucky to catch one of the two ANA 787s doing the domestic flights, JA801A or JA802A while I was in the terminal. I went to the reception desk to see the hostess and asked her if I would be lucky to see the new plane.

My flight was leaving at 1.30 PM from gate 67 and I was told that the new Boeing 787 Dreamliner was due at gate 64 at 12:45. The hostess told me that I could see the plane taxiing and parking at the gate from the lounge and then I could go down to Gate 64 to see the new plane in plenty of time before boarding my flight.

I had time for drinks so I made myself a cup of coffee. The ANA domestic lounge does not have food. They have drinks and snacks only. I still had some of my own food that I had taken for the trip so I was allright. I just sat and waited and looked at airplanes from the lounge panoramic windows until...

an all painted B-744 "PokemonJet" showed up on the taxi way and parked at one of the gates right below the ANA lounge. Not long after, an aircraft that did not look quite the same as the other ANA aircrafts! There she was... the beautiful striped navy blue and white Dreamliner came into view!

I said goodbye to the lounge hostess at the reception desk and kindly thanked her for all the information and terminal map sheet she provided and made my way down to gate 64 to look at the beautiful new aircraft up closer.

It made my day. JA801A the first delivered Boeing 787 Dreamliner delivered to ANA was parked down below. She was under really good care of the Haneda ramp workers. Baggage and freight was unloaded and I was looking at her.

Her next flight wasn't going to be until after 4.00 PM so there was time for all the ramp workers and technicians to be around and do all that was needed to be done. Interestingly enough, the engine bay doors were opened.

As all my attention was concentrated on the new airplane one of the hostesses came with one of her colleagues and handed me some B-787 Dreamliner goodies tucked in a little assorted ANA striped transparent plastic bag. I asked them for a picture and they kindly obliged.

I let them know I was going to be on the first long haul flight with the newest 787 of the fleet which had a different configuration. They were happy to meet someone coming from so far away showing so much interest for their new prized possession. I thanked them for their kindness and for the nice little gifts. They were really nice!

I wanted to get more pictures before heading to gate 67 further down the terminal. I had watched the delivery ceremony live on the ANA website and I was happy to come face to face with the historic aircraft.

What was it that I liked best about her? Her nose? Her beautiful wings? Her nicely proportioned body? Her engines? I did not see anything about JA801A that I did not like. She was remarkably beautiful and that special livery fitted her like a glove. A supermodel among all the other airplanes!

I could not take my eyes off her!

The gate signs with the Dreamliner were beautiful too!

Seeing JA801A with my own eyes, the first delivered 787 to ANA, was a real treat. Time was passing and I had to walk down to gate 67 to board my flight to Yonago.

On the way to my flight I got to see the colourful painted B-744 "PokemonJet"

I could see the PokemonJet again from my boarding gate right before boarding my flight along with other ANA tails and JA801A the beautiful striped B-787 Dreamliner.

I knew which one among the two I liked best. The Pokemon plane was a curiosity though!

Announcements were made and I had to board my flight. It was time to say goodbye to the beautiful JA801A. I thought I might see her again on my way back... to no avail.

I waved goodbye and boarded my flight. I was sitting on the wrong side of the plane to be able to see them during taxi and take off but I was treated to the most amazing views of Tokyo on our way up in the air.

This ends Part 1 of my ANA 787 Dreamliner HND-FRA 1st Long Haul Inaugural

Part 2 will come soon!

Gate parties... Aircraft interiors with amazing colours.... Blue cabins... Gigantic windows... Flying fun....

All to come in Part 2!!!!

Stay put... and see you all soon for the very first Boeing 787 Dreamliner long haul inaugural adventure!!!

[Edited 2012-01-27 11:44:41 by SA7700]
There was a better way to fly it was called Concorde

swedenflyer

RE: ANA 787 Dreamliner HND-FRA 1st Long Haul Inaugural

Thu Jan 26, 2012 6:55 pm

That 787 Dreamliner looks like quite a plane!

Quoting MadameConcorde (Thread starter):
The Pokemon plane was a curiosity though!

I like those!
FlyingFinn76, abrelosojos

B738FlyUIA

Thu Jan 26, 2012 7:39 pm

I could not take my eyes off her!

Thank you for sharing your thoughts and impression on your Inaugural Flight with wonderful photos!! I think seeing JA801A would stick my to the glass!!!!! Simply wow!!!!

I'm still envy about you on the first 787 International Flight to Europe!!!!

What where your experience about the huge windows and maybe also the above bin's for the luggage??

Regards

MadameConcorde
Topic Author

Thu Jan 26, 2012 7:45 pm

Quoting B738FlyUIA (Reply 2):
What where your experience about the huge windows and maybe also the above bin's for the luggage??

All to come in Part 2 of my trip report.

I loved the ANA B-787 Dreamliner... believe me!

[Edited 2012-01-26 11:51:16]

LAXdude1023

Thu Jan 26, 2012 7:47 pm

Great beginning to the TR!

Really looking forward to seeing part two!
FOR THE LOVE OF GOD BRING BACK THE PAYWALL!!!!

ndebelebev

Thu Jan 26, 2012 7:52 pm

Nice start to the report... Looking forward to part deux!!
Her Pose Is That Of Someone... Who Knows It All And Is In Total Control Of Her World... Little Does She Know...

B738FlyUIA

Thu Jan 26, 2012 7:55 pm

Quoting MadameConcorde (Reply 3):
Quoting B738FlyUIA (Reply 2):

All to come in Part 2 of my trip report.

I loved the ANA B-787 Dreamliner... believe me!

I'll be patient!!!!  

tinosky

Thu Jan 26, 2012 8:29 pm

Lucky you are! Looking forward to the 2nd part!

Congratz by the way. Im hoping to get a flight in the spring. thinking of this route:

YYC - FRA
FRA - HND
HND - LAX
LAX - YYC

Should be an interesting trip  

Cheers,

Tinosky

ORDnHKG

Thu Jan 26, 2012 8:46 pm

What other NH goodies did you get other than the 787 scarf ? It looks really nice, wish they sell it ! Did you buy the NH 787 stamps from the inflight magazine ?

Can't wait for the rest of your report.

OA260

Thu Jan 26, 2012 9:48 pm

Nice report and great to see one from you  

Looking forward to the next parts . We have been missing some 787 ones .

Regards

OA260  

ba319-131

Thu Jan 26, 2012 10:18 pm

Nice start MC, looking forward to the 787 flight.

Rgds

Mark
111 732 733 734 735 736 73G 738 739,7M8 BBJ 741 742 743 744 752 753 762 763 764 772 77L 773 77W L15 D10 D30 D40 AB3 AB6 312 313 318 319 320 20N 321 21N 332 333 342 343 345 346 359 351 388 CS1 CS3 I86 154 SSJ CRJ CR7 CR9 CRK 145 170 175 220

CrimsonNL

Fri Jan 27, 2012 10:10 am

Hey Marie, thanks for sharing. How cool you got interviewed by the WSJ! I'm looking forward to part 2.

Brgds

Martijn
Always comparing your flown types list with mine

roberts87

Fri Jan 27, 2012 11:35 am

Thanks for posting... getting us all excited for the 1st trip report from a 787! I guess anticipation is half the fun.

The story of the ANA Boeing 787 Dreamliner Tokyo Haneda - Frankfurt First Long Haul Inaugural Flight 21 January 2012. The first ever commercial long haul flight for the new Boeing 787 Dreamliner, a new step taken in aviation history by ANA and Boeing with this new all-carbon fiber aircraft.

And you'll be writing the inaugaural long haul trip report.

My first glimpse of her happened on the Tuesday as the B-787 prototype departed from the air field back to Seattle with two Spitfires on her wings.

My first glimpse was totally by coinsedence. I was visiting Seattle, walking past Puget Sound when suddenly a 787 flew by, on approach to BFI. Followed by a 747-8 about 10 minutes later!

bikerthai

Fri Jan 27, 2012 2:25 pm

I was interviewed by the Wall Street Journal. It went like this...

"" "" Over in Europe, Madame Concorde, 59, wasn't so lucky.

I remember the interview. I figured it was you.

Now I can say I know a celebrity!

Happy flying!!!

bt
Intelligent seeks knowledge. Enlightened seeks wisdom.

MadameConcorde
Topic Author

Fri Jan 27, 2012 2:34 pm

Quoting bikerthai (Reply 13):
Now I can say I know a celebrity!

You are too kind.

Concorde is the only aviation celebrity.

I am only a humble flyer who loves party flights and flying on brand new almost untouched aircrafts... so what's better than being on the very first flights of some new aircraft types with some high-end airlines for that?

Singapore Airlines with the A380 and ANA with the B-787 Dreamliner. What more could I ask for?

JAAlbert

Fri Jan 27, 2012 2:49 pm

I don't know how you remained functioning after the flight to Japan. Wonderful report but . . . How could you leave us hanging like this!? I'll be distracted all day having to sneak on to a.net at work to see if your 2nd segment report is uploaded! (okay, so I do that everyday at work anyways, but still!)

Cyanide72

Fri Jan 27, 2012 5:03 pm

Very nice! Eagerly awaiting part 2! Can't wait to see the interior, the suspense is almost killing me!

airbuseric

Sat Jan 28, 2012 9:20 am

Hi M.,

I envy you about this trip. Thought about it myself, but couldn't arrange it with work unfortunately  
one of the hostesses came with one of her colleagues and handed me some B-787 Dreamliner goodies tucked in a little assorted ANA striped transparent plastic bag.

Isn't that just fantastic? I received also similar kind of treatment by ANA crew on a domestic flight, a few years ago. So sweet! Nice goodies btw, the scarf alone will cost a few yens alone in those airplane shops at the arrival level at HND.

I'll soon start reading pt. 2 of the report... to know how it is to fly the 787. Can't wait till September when I will do everything to fly the 787 as well in Japan... it has been too long since I last visited that country.

Eric
"The whole world steps aside for the man who knows where he is going"

signol

Sat Jan 28, 2012 10:09 am

Hi Madame,

very nice teaser report - no actual 787 flying yet, but a good overview of your approach, and first glimpses of it in service! And the Pokemon 747 was a nice bonus too!

Thanks again

signol
Flights booked: NWI-AMS-JNB-DUR, JNB-AMS-NWI

DJMEL

Sun Jan 29, 2012 1:18 pm

Well Madame Concorde.

What can I say!!!! Thanks for another great start to a trip report.......don't like the fact that you weren't on the Inaugural Tokyo - Hong Kong - Do ANA know who you are!!!! You should have been on that flight!!!!

As for being down the back on the A346 on LH they should have upgraded You!!!! I am flying on my first ever A346 in 4 weeks from MEL/AUH on EY in J class so looking forward to it.......

Oh well I must read your Part 2!!!!!

Once again thanks for your great insights to travel!!!!

Cheers DJMEL

FLIEGER67

Wed Feb 01, 2012 10:32 pm

Bonsoir, M.,

congrats to a special event.
Follow and see the 787 for real for the first time. Sure a good way to spend some time in the air, also when it doesn´t feel
like a real relaxed flight on the LH A346.
Really nice pictures around and interesting story.
Looking for the next part now.

Best greetings,
Markus(FLIEGER67)
Tripreporter.net