Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

ronerone
Topic Author

RE: Air Tahiti Nui: Ia Orana Half Way Around The World

Sun Mar 18, 2012 3:04 pm

Quoting gardermoen (Reply 31):
Roni, another brilliant report of an airline that I really want to try!
Agree, the A340 is the sexiest jet out there.
Nice menus too!
I always throught Papeete Airport had air bridges. Did you not see any?

Heya Gardmoen!   Glad you enjoyed.

PPT ia a fully aerobridge-free airport!

Quoting N178UA (Reply 32):
Congratulations on getting this very exclusive trip report out finally! Just noticed You've got 14 replies from yourself after posting   lol (I know it is a A.net limitation)

There is nothing more I can add, the pictures are fantastic, weather is perfect, your always excellent trip report promotes really well on Tahiti, indeed a black pearl of the Pacific!

I will now forward to a few friends and contact at Air Tahiti Nui, I am sure they will love it!

Cheers
Sam

Thanks my friend  
Quoting NZ107 (Reply 34):
Another long awaited TR yet so well delivered!

Thanks Nicholas!

Wow, seems like such a long time ago already!

Yep, 6 months ago! 3 of which were spent on this TR! It took forever!

Do visit again soon!

Will definitely do!

I hope you got some nice (other) shots..

I did, and i am just now starting to look through my NZ 'spotting' pics!  
And non-existent now, am I right?

Actually, there was an update on the main forum, where it was decided that F is staying!

Sounds like something for me sometime..

Definitely! Rack up those Oneworld status points!

I cast my mind back to when I was in Paris and watching TN board for PPT via LAX

If i ever see TN at CDG, i will now know exactly how long that journey is going to be! haha

Wow, I'm surprised that catering ex-LAX was pretty good. Those desserts looked really nice and so did the crepes!

LAX catering was the best one in this journey.

Hope your skin has stopped peeling

Haha, i think it has by now  
Quoting palmjet (Reply 35):
I spent a good few hours reading your amazing report last night. Wonderful report and thank you for taking the time to post it, and the pics are stunning. I really felt like I was there too.

Many thanks palmjet!

I remember arriving at PPT and spending over an hour standing in the immigration line as they had two staff for a full 767-300 load of passengers. No air con and a hot, sultry and humid evening. You can imagine how everyone felt when they finally got through to claim their bags!

I am glad the weather was great when i was there. It was slightly humid, but it was cool enough to enjoy!

Unfortunately our visit co-incided with the arrival of Tropical Cyclone Osea. I remember it well because we were on Moorea at the time Osea passed by at the closest point to us. It was a very scary night indeed.

WoW. I always wondered what would happen if a cyclone made landfall on such islands. I've experienced several hurricanes in the USA and it was bad enough when i wasn't around water. I can't imagine what would happen in this case!

We arrived at the airport a little early and they simply put us on the earlier flight that was pretty much boarding when we arrived.

Isn't it great? And all you need to do is simply walk to the aircraft!

We found the prices in FP to be very high but we were expecting that.

I was expecting the same, but i had a mission, and now it's done  
What we could not understand fully was why FP continues to import perishable things like butter from France, which must cost a fortune, when there are two very large countries in the region much closer who produce goods of a similar or better quality - namely New Zealand and Australia. Surely it would be more economical to import these types of goods from more local or regional parts of the Pacific? No?

I wonder if they 'have' to import from France? And does the same apply for French Caledonia? I saw an AF B744 freighter when i was there last year.

We also sadly found that the friendliest people we met in FP were actually other tourists. We found some of the hotel staff on Moorea and Papeete to be quite dismissive and they weren't overly helpful during the cyclone - other than to tell us that "everything was closed". On the other hand, locals on Moorea at some of the shops we stopped in at, were quite friendly and welcoming.

My experience was quite the opposite. I found the tourists to be quite snobbish, while the local Tahitians were very friendly. But in Moorea, everyone was super friendly, including the tourists.

Quoting ReadyJetGo (Reply 36):
I can almost feel the discomfort you had with that sunburn!!

Hi ReadyJetGo, thanks for your comments  

Indeed, the sunburn was a horrible feeling! haha

Quoting loalq (Reply 37):
Epic TR, congratulations on an amazing work you did here!

Thanks for stopping by! Glad you enjoyed  
Quoting nipoel123 (Reply 38):
Hi Roni,

This is, by far, the longest TR I've ever read. It took me more than an hour, but it was well worth it. French Polynesia looks awesome! Air Tahiti Nui loos like the way to go there, the airline seems well organised.

Again, lovely read,

Nick

Thanks Nick! I especially was impressed with their NZ office! Absolutely flawless customer service!

Quoting mercure1 (Reply 39):
That is why people love to go on week long shopping trips to Los Angeles and visit places like Costco, Target etc.

Which is probably why i would think LAX has a higher chance to remain on the network than CDG; if TN ever has to terminate more routes!

Quoting mercure1 (Reply 39):
However the islands beauty which is free makes up for this.

Totally agree!

Quoting AirGabon (Reply 40):
Paris-Mayotte on Corsair A332 or Air Austral B772LR
Mayotte-Reunion on Air Austral B738
Reunion-Sydney-Noumea on Air Austral B777
Noumea-Tahiti on Air Calin A332
Tahiti-Los Angeles -Paris on Air Tahiti Nui A343
or from Los Angeles continuing to:
Los Angeles-Miami-San Juan-Fort de France (Martinique) or Pointe a Pitre (Guadeloupe) on American or to test the AF A320 service from Miami. Then:
Fort de France/Pointe a Pitre-Paris on Air Caraibes A333

Hi AirGabon,

This is one of the sexiest airline/route lists i have seen! But i'd like to add Air Madagascar to it too (TNR-CDG on a mysteriously aquired A343 now!)

Quoting LH4116 (Reply 41):
Roni: WOW, I mean just WOW! Perhaps the longest report I've read so far, and pretty sure this is the longest report you've written so far. As always an excellent read with some stunning photography.

Salam Casablancas!

It is definitely one of the longest i have done! haha

Never would I ever have believed that you would fly Economy on any sector longer than 2 hours, and I am just stunned how you managed those 20 hours. You must really have felt like a walking corpse after that flight, and for some reason it seems like you never really got rid of that Jetlag, not even in Papeete. I'm guessing you must've regret not spending those extra money on that westbound RTW, or at least upgrade this massive chunk of flight to Business? How big was the price difference anyway?

Haha why not? It was definitely a tad uncomfortable being 20 hours in Economy, but it is definitely doable, and i would do it again no problem   haha

Well if i was to do this RTW westbound, i would never have found the bargain fare that i did on FJ, and besides, TN was more expensive from CDG to AKL as opposed to the other way around. Fares out of AKL are relatively cheap, and definitely so when compared to PAR.

That is perhaps the strangest RTW itinerary I've ever seen! Completely skipping Australia, must've been a world first 

I love it! haha  
Or then again I'm guessing TN are more of a home-market oriented airline.

I think they are more International, but in their own way. French Polynesia's economy heavily relies on inbound tourism. Besides, they'd need to add that tropical flare to their branding to attract attention. And it very much worked with all of us here  
So you couldn't have asked for an operational upgrade?

I just left it as it is. If it was meant to be it would have happened. in the end, i didn't regret anything!  
Usually you're the man in the CX F suite, wearing the funny sneakers while sipping on the Champagne. I want that Roni back again! 

Oh don't you worry, i am back on track from next TR onwards  
Still seems like the crew were a bit proactive in their way of serving customers. I always like it when the crew offer an additional drink, rather than the embarrassment of doing it yourself. Good customer focus, I like that!

I must give it to TN for being very on the ball with the meal service, even when some were somewhat disconnected in general!

Hmm, how come you didn't opt for a stopover in the states, or was that not allowed in the ticket?

A stopover in LAX was permitted, but i wanted to experience this flight in one go, i.e. begin in PPT and end in CDG  
I very much look forward to the next part, and please don't take too long with posting it. Keep up the good work my friend!

Thanks Jonas. I will try my best!  
Quoting 767747 (Reply 42):
Another excellent report, Roni!

Thanks Matthew! Thanks for stopping by!

Quoting jrfspa320 (Reply 43):
Great Report, very nice pictures/
Seems a good airline!
would love to visit French polynesia now hehe!

Thanks jrfspa320!

Quoting roberts87 (Reply 44):
Amazing trip report, thanks for sharing!

Hi roberts87, thanks for your comments  
Quoting RAGAZZO777 (Reply 45):
I've been reading your trip reports for a long time now, but this is the first time ever that I leave you a comment.  

Thanks Nicolás!

Quoting RAGAZZO777 (Reply 45):
based in Lima, I plan to take the LAN flight you mention in this TR !

Great choice! That routing is very very good!

Quoting koruman (Reply 46):
French Polynesia is pricey, but not significantly more so than Australia or Brazil nowadays. But the comments about hotel prices on Moorea and Bora Bora largely reflect the OP not knowing how to "play the game".

There are Hilton, InterContinental and Sofitel hotels which can be booked for around half the published rate via their own loyalty programs and websites. And on Bora Bora if you contact most major 5 star hotels directly to book they will knock at least 50% off the published rate.

Hi koruman,

I cannot imagine the Hilton Sydney costing the same as a Hilton in French Polynesia. All my hotel searching was done via the hotel websites, and -especially in Moorea- i was quoted insane $$$. 500USD was easily the cheapest.

But, i do know a friend who's bargained with a hotel over the telephone, and that resulted in a significant discount; but to my understanding that was a special honeymoon thing.

Quoting Mortyman (Reply 47):
Thanx for this TR Roni. French Polyneisa and the Pacific is a great place. I have been lucky and been there twice. Twice to French Polynesia, twice to the Cook islands and once to Samoa.

Hi Mortyman, Thanks for your comments.

I myself am quite interested in Australes islands, and also Tikehau atoll!

Quoting Mortyman (Reply 47):
To bad they have stopped the production. The A340 looks even better in the air Tahiti Nui colors  

Couldn't agree with you more!

Quoting CARST (Reply 48):
Great TR roni, one of the best I've ever read on this website. I'm a little bit biased because I love French Polynesia, but still, great pics and good writing.

How long did you stay there overall?

Thanks CARST!

I stayed 4 nights in total.

Quoting Aussie_ (Reply 49):
Congratulations on the awesome trip report. I was supposed to fly TN many years back, but the aircraft was grounded and we were flown on an Air NZ 763 AKL-PPT instead. One of my greatest aviation regrets. You have also confirmed to me that Bora Bora is a must do at some point in my life!!

Cheers
Alex

Hi Alex,

When i first read your reply, i remembered that 'someone else' had told me the same thing before. I tried to remember who it was, but then i realized it was you in Abu Dhabi  

Hope all is well!

Cheers,
Roni
Fly Roni. Aviation Journeys. Photos. Videos.

my235

Mon Mar 19, 2012 10:36 am

Thank you for such a well written and positive report! Too many are negative.

Luxair747SP

Mon Mar 19, 2012 1:43 pm

Hey Roni,

what an epic TR, must be one of the longest ever posted!!!
Very interesting read about an airline, not covered well at all.
The service in Y class looked just fine, but the IFE could be more update, strangely it seems, the Moving Map was latest generation.
The pictures from your stay on the several Islands in Tahiti are just stunning!
Do you know if there are any other inter-island airlines?

Thanks a lot for sharing this masterpiece.

Cheers,
Johannes

gabrielchew

Mon Mar 19, 2012 3:57 pm

Excellent report Roni on a great route on an interesting airline!

Quoting ronerone (Reply 1):
My RTW path so far

Lots of overwater segments there

Quoting ronerone (Thread starter):
One of which was an Emirates arrival, beautifully distorted by my wide-angle

Looks great

"Ia Orana"
"Oh, may I please take a picture?"
"Yes but this is not for Facebook okay?"
"Sorry?"
"I am just joking, feel free to do what you like monsieur"
"Maururu"
"Welcome on board"

Lovely greeting

Arriving at my cabin -lowly Moana in Economy- it was quite the opposite experience. Though I was one of the very last to board this ultra-packed cabin, all eyes were still on this new 'object' that just strolled in. Where's it going to sit? What the hell is it anyways?

Hahaha

A definite advantage of airports at tourist-heavy destinations is the ease of pointless restrictions on taking photos whilst on the tarmac. It is definitely no different here in Tahiti as I was able to freely take pictures of the aircraft and of the surrounding infrastructure.

I love it when you can take all the photos you want on the tarmac

My beach bungalow!

I reading this from my beach bungalow in Indonesia, and yours looks a LOT nicer!

Luckily, I found a pair of unoccupied seats on the other side, in which they became my camp-out until LAX.

Lucky to find an empty pair

Quoting ronerone (Reply 13):
The aircraft docked at the gate at 11:05am, and everyone deplaned once the doors were open. Once inside the terminal, we were handed an “Express Connection” card and were asked to proceed to immigration.

So annoying to have to go through immigration in the US

I wasn’t sleepy, hungry, or in the mood to watch a movie, but I was in the mood to do something I didn’t even know what it was.

I know exactly how you feel. Sometimes, even as an a.netter, I just want to get off!
http://my.flightmemory.com/shefgab Upcoming flights: AMS-RIX-BUD-VDA,ETH-TLV-FCO-LHR,STN-TXL-LCY,LTN-CPH-LTN,LGW-SZG,MUC-LHR

ogre727

Mon Mar 19, 2012 5:00 pm

Your TRs are my favorite... well written, non-pretentious... smart, funny, great pics, interesting info...

I could have done without your sunburnt face, tho.. (haha, joking)

Congrats and keep them coming.
I am between the devil and the deep blue sea

Flightsimboy

Mon Mar 19, 2012 9:15 pm

Roni, always a pleasure to read your reports, and a real bonus to read this one about Air Tahiti from you!!!

Earth at its simplest is all I wanted,
Air Tahiti Nui –a typical candidate island airline- served as the chosen means to take me there.

You could not have chosen a better airline to take you to Paradise!! All those hues of blue on the fuselage and immersed all across the cabin, just so soothing! We have KLM to take us to the endless skies above with it's blue colours, but it's Air Tahiti's blues that take us down towards earth to Paradise!!

Over 10 days, this 'boutique' journey spanned across five regions and included an ideal mix of airlines, of which some are the legendary tried and admired, and others of the more exotic variety

I still don't quite get it how some of you crazy a.netters here can do these marathon trips in less than two weeks!!

Of course, it was a special feeling for me to lurk by the runway waiting for the arrival of the very aircraft that was to take me to Papeete in a few hours
And of course, this one, fresh from Papeete

How many of us can afford this luxury to see your arriving aircraft and then board it in a few hours!! Always have to lug suitcases behind me!!

One was dedicated to Poerava First Class, another to Poerava Business Class, and the remaining four solely for Economy Class Moana. Again, the French have mastered the art of names, and France and its colonies' airlines have mastered the art of turning their cabin classes into names that are stylishly sultry and seductive.

These are Tahitian names are they not? Or did you mean the French influenced the sexiness in the names lol

Two Air Tahiti Nui male cabin crew were in charge of the boarding. One -presumably the purser- was to my left, and the other, was to my right and holding a tray of small Tiare flowers offered to the passengers.

"Ia Orana"
"Oh, may I please take a picture?"
"Yes but this is not for Facebook okay?"
"Sorry?"
"I am just joking, feel free to do what you like monsieur"
"Maururu"
"Welcome on board"

Always great to get a photo of the crew at the door!! Even better if they are smiling and willing to have a photo taken.

Quoting ronerone (Reply 2):
Passing through the Business Class cabin it was a slightly different story. An elite 'members-only' club had formed which seemed to no longer accept any additional applications. The cabin was fully boarded, and everyone had already established their respective cliques while sipping their snobbish welcome drinks and hence, a passing passenger like myself was more or less the equivalent of a fly trying to find its way out of the aircraft. Needless to say, no one cared who else was still boarding because they knew damn well they were not going to deal with them.

Arriving at my cabin -lowly Moana in Economy- it was quite the opposite experience. Though I was one of the very last to board this ultra-packed cabin, all eyes were still on this new 'object' that just strolled in. Where's it going to sit? What the hell is it anyways?

You got a sense of how the rest of us travel on here. You usually are one of the snobbish ones riding up front LOL

At my seat at 18A, my seatmate had already occupied his B-side and was already dozing off whilst waiting to reach his final destination. I felt bad, but I had to gently wake him up, in which after a few sighs and pouts, he got up to let me in. Seriously now, what's with the attitude? At least that set the tone for me to keep my interaction with him to a bare minimum.

Well with that attitude, you should consider yourself lucky you didn't have to make small talk all the way!!

I never open my amenity kits -and I never unwrap the plastic off them either- but apart from the usual contents, they also contained a pair of headsets that are yours to keep.

I'd like to know just how many of these have you collected over the years!!

Air Tahiti Nui's cabin crew wear a typical professional airline uniform whilst on the ground however, once the seatbelt sign goes off after takeoff, everyone changes into something a little more relaxed and cultural. The males wear a loose short-sleeve button shirt decorated with Tiare flower patterns, while the females turn into a similarly patterned -and very colorful- dress wrapped along their figures until it loosens just below their knees.

Quite like Thai, who actually dress up in the Professional uniforms before landing, but greet you in their traditional unifroms. I am not sure if they still do it, but definitely saw it at the end of my KHI-BKK flight in 1994

Whilst on a plane, my body has this strange habit of self-jerking itself awake only moments before falling into REM mode. Not sure why, but it has startled those seated next to me before. And of course, the more uncomfortable the sleeping position is, the more jerking there will be

That must really scare the person sitting at the side of you lol. If I ever get to take a flight with you I'd have to keep an eye open for such nocturnal activity!! But then again you don't always fly too much in Economy do you!!

During our taxi, announcements were made in both Reo Tahiti and English

Are no announcements in French as well?

That's all for now, Roni. I'll havet to catch up by fast forwarding to your flights to LAX and CDG later. But every moment this trip report has been a great read!!
LAX772LR - "Answer to goofy question:" in response to my question about the B737-MAX8 being grounded. 48 hours later all B737-MAX8 grounded worldwide. Go figure!!

infodesk

Tue Mar 20, 2012 7:51 am

Hi Roni,

WOW! I don't know what else to say. Your report is so exotic, your trip was so exotic, your chosen carrier so exotic. It was an absolute delight to read. Tahiti and the neighbouring isles look like something out of this world.

Your photogrpah of the luggage trolley on the beach is just fantastic!

Thank you for such a fantastic read

Happy flying
Infodesk   
"Do nothing in haste, look well to each step and from the beginning think what may be the end" - Edward Whymper

MSS658

Tue Mar 20, 2012 11:07 am

Hi Roni

Amazing trip report, thanks for sharing it!
Looks like an amazing way to travel. And a good alternative to NZ's and AF's 77Ws!
Those Tahiti pics really took my breath, such a wonderful place in this world!

Greetings
Marc
Next trip report: Well worn A330s and Hassle free MUC transfer

PlaneHunter

Tue Mar 20, 2012 12:46 pm

Hi Roni,

I'm glad the master of reports is back! What a stunning piece of work, excellent stuff which kept me entertained for a long time! It must have taken a long time to create all this.

TN's product looks okay, I wouldn't mind to try it one day. I can only hope that the airline will survive.

Whilst in Auckland, I decided to stay close to the airport this time, and selected the Jet Park Hotel. This intimate family-run kiwi bred hotel is perfect for an overnight transit between flights. Decent rooms, friendly staff, a shower, a TV and the typical basic amenities are all expected, and at an affordable price.

Yes, good choice. I also enjoyed that hotel during my RTW trip in 2010.

The A340 is the sexiest looking airplane on this planet!

Nicholas drinks!

Cheers!

I never open my amenity kits -and I never unwrap the plastic off them either- but apart from the usual contents, they also contained a pair of headsets that are yours to keep.

Why not? Do you want to conserve them for eternity?  

The lagoonarium was the most interesting at this hotel. It is more or less a man-made lagoon portioned off by nets from the main beach/sea, where you are able to dip and swim alongside an array of small fish –a sanctuary of this ‘elite’ group that only lives in this area- that would school towards you the moment you’re in.

Wow, what an impressive layout!

At 7:35am, I was on board … my very first ATR by the way!

Congratulations! And what an exotic one you got.

Never pictured my trolley on a beach before!

Funny enough, while in typical cities your average pest can be a cockroach or a rat, in Moorea it's crabs! Actual sea crabs are scattered everywhere along the streets wherever there are moist conditions.

I'm not sure what I'd prefer!

PH
Nothing's worse than flying the same reg twice!

lukeyboy95

Tue Mar 20, 2012 8:04 pm

HI Roni.

I saw with great enthusiasm that you had posted another report - certainly you have been away for a little while, so this was most welcome.

Fascinating airline, fascinating destination, fascinating report...

I don't have too many opinions that haven't already been expressed, except to say that the flights looked marvellously well loaded, and that the catering looked pretty good too. Would have been interesting to see the uniforms of the crew mid-flight, but all the more reason to one day try this carrier.

Looking forward as ever to many more photos...

Luke.

P.s. I blanched at the thought of that taxi price!
Breaking down the stereotypes - one by one

ronerone
Topic Author

Wed Mar 21, 2012 3:48 pm

Quoting my235 (Reply 51):
Thank you for such a well written and positive report!

Many thanks my235! Glad you enjoyed!

Quoting Luxair747SP (Reply 52):
Hey Roni,

what an epic TR, must be one of the longest ever posted!!!
Very interesting read about an airline, not covered well at all.
The service in Y class looked just fine, but the IFE could be more update, strangely it seems, the Moving Map was latest generation.
The pictures from your stay on the several Islands in Tahiti are just stunning!
Do you know if there are any other inter-island airlines?

Thanks a lot for sharing this masterpiece.

Cheers,
Johannes

Hi Johannes! Thanks for stopping by.

It was indeed a contrast between the older IFE and the newer moving map. I think the IFE would have been good if only they labelled the interactive portion of it properly, as opposed to Movie 1, 2 ,3 etc.

Quoting gabrielchew (Reply 53):
Excellent report Roni on a great route on an interesting airline!

Thanks gabriel   Hope you are enjoying your trip!

Lots of overwater segments there

That was part of the plan too   haha

I love it when you can take all the photos you want on the tarmac

It's great liberty isn't it?

I reading this from my beach bungalow in Indonesia, and yours looks a LOT nicer!

Interesting, but i am sure you're getting tons more value for your money over there!
I need to go back to Indonesia!

I know exactly how you feel. Sometimes, even as an a.netter, I just want to get off!

I guess there is always a limit!

Quoting ogre727 (Reply 54):
Your TRs are my favorite... well written, non-pretentious... smart, funny, great pics, interesting info...

I could have done without your sunburnt face, tho.. (haha, joking)

Congrats and keep them coming.

Thanks for the kind words ogre727! Glad you find the TRs non-pretentious  
Quoting flightsimboy (Reply 55):
Roni, always a pleasure to read your reports, and a real bonus to read this one about Air Tahiti from you!!!

Flightsim!  

Thanks for stopping by again!

We have KLM to take us to the endless skies above with it's blue colours, but it's Air Tahiti's blues that take us down towards earth to Paradise!!

Very true! And lately i am missing KLM.

I still don't quite get it how some of you crazy a.netters here can do these marathon trips in less than two weeks!!

All it takes is one flight, and the rest is history LOL.

These are Tahitian names are they not? Or did you mean the French influenced the sexiness in the names lol

These are Tahitian names, but there's definitely a pattern showing the French influence   hehe

I'd like to know just how many of these have you collected over the years!!

I have been collecting airline junk since the 1980's when my parents used to get them.

Quite like Thai, who actually dress up in the Professional uniforms before landing, but greet you in their traditional unifroms. I am not sure if they still do it,

They most certainly still do this on THAI!

Are no announcements in French as well?

My bad, all announcements were in French, English, and 'Behasa' Tahiti  
Quoting infodesk (Reply 56):
WOW! I don't know what else to say. Your report is so exotic, your trip was so exotic, your chosen carrier so exotic. It was an absolute delight to read. Tahiti and the neighbouring isles look like something out of this world.

Your photogrpah of the luggage trolley on the beach is just fantastic!

Thank you for such a fantastic read

Happy flying
Infodesk   

Many thanks infodesk! Glad you enjoyed it  
Quoting MSS658 (Reply 57):
Hi Roni

Amazing trip report, thanks for sharing it!
Looks like an amazing way to travel. And a good alternative to NZ's and AF's 77Ws!
Those Tahiti pics really took my breath, such a wonderful place in this world!

Greetings
Marc

Thanks Marc  
Quoting PlaneHunter (Reply 58):
I'm glad the master of reports is back! What a stunning piece of work, excellent stuff which kept me entertained for a long time! It must have taken a long time to create all this.

PH! Thanks my friend.

Quite curious to know (read, and also see) about your latest trip!!!

I can only hope that the airline will survive.

I hope so too!

Yes, good choice. I also enjoyed that hotel during my RTW trip in 2010.

And thanks for that, as it was the basis for my decision to stay there!

Why not? Do you want to conserve them for eternity?  

I have no idea why. I just do it! Haha.

Quoting lukeyboy95 (Reply 59):
I saw with great enthusiasm that you had posted another report - certainly you have been away for a little while, so this was most welcome.

Many thanks Lukey  
Would have been interesting to see the uniforms of the crew mid-flight, but all the more reason to one day try this carrier.

I had planned an attempt to take the crew's picture, but unfortunately that never materialized  
P.s. I blanched at the thought of that taxi price!

LOL!

Cheers,
Roni

TR763

Wed Mar 21, 2012 4:27 pm

Oh, what a great trip report, Roni!!

Air Tahiti Nui is an airline I'd love to fly one day. First, because it seems to be a good airline, with sexy colors and aircraft interiors. Second, because Tahiti must be a wonderful place to visit!!
Luckily we have a good connection to Tahiti, from South America, with LAN, which was nice to see in the departures screen on your TR.
Well, I just loved all the scenery of the islands you visited. Very romantic and relaxed feeling!
And wow, you've got a good sun burn!! Hope you are ok with it now! lol

Once again, what a great trip report!!
Thank you for sharing with us!!
Picture by Justin Cederholm at MCO.

deltamartin

Wed Mar 21, 2012 7:26 pm

Hi Roni!

Great report, the pictures of the islands are truly spectacular, looks really beautiful, I wanna go there some day!

The A340 is the sexiest looking airplane on this planet!

It's indeed a very beautiful aircraft. and that livery sure doesn't hurt its looks either!

But back in reality, we touched down at 8:55pm and arrived FAA’A International Airport in Papeete some 15 minutes ahead of schedule and, a day earlier than four hours ago at Auckland

I can imagine that it's a rather weird feeling.

This place was seriously like no other.

I can see that, really spectacular!

The aircraft at Bora Bora

I like the Air Tahiti livery.

I was hoping that most LAX-ers were headed on the earlier flight in hopes of getting an empty seat next to me all the way to Paris. In fact, I was so bored that I actually counted all North American passengers and tried to derive a formula to forecast the expected load, but I got lost somewhere in between my agonizing back pain/sun burn and an arguing couple across from me, that I eventually just let it go.

Then you must have been seriously bored!

The cabin was in immaculate condition, and the blue seats looked strikingly attractive behind the pure white background.

Wow, what a great looking cabin, looks 2 days old!

Unfortunately however, I did not take any pictures whilst in transit, as I am still a little hesitant when at US airports.

I can see why, when I was at EWR last year I got yelled at when shooting pictures of a LH 744.

This was by far the best meal I have had on Air Tahiti Nui.

I'd love that meal.

I wasn’t sleepy, hungry, or in the mood to watch a movie, but I was in the mood to do something I didn’t even know what it was. So from this point on, it was a mix between getting up to stretch, hanging out in the galley, or just staring into space from my seat.

I recognize that mood.

Martin

Dash8Driver16

Wed Mar 21, 2012 9:49 pm

I Have some very good memories from my trip Down there. Your trip report drags up some good memories including buying a necklace that i still have from the gift shop at the Moorea Airport. I took Air New Zealand from LAX to PPT it was a 767-300 and I remember being amazed it had foot rests in Coach. We then walked over to the old Air Moorea Terminal(Shack) where we took a Twin Otter over to Morrea for a couple Days. We then Took Air Tahiti on the ATR to Raitea direct from Moorea. We then were on a Chartered Boat for a week and ended in Bora Bora for a couple days then flew back to PPT on the ATR72 and immediately turned around and went to Nuka Hiva on the ATR42. Back onto another boat for a couple weeks and then we Jumped off in Ua Pou and took and Air Moorea DO-228 to Nuka Hiva and back to PPT and then ANZ back to LAX. Tahiti was one of the most incredible places I have ever been the Natural beauty was very well complemented by the friendly demeanor of the people.

I am very glad you had a good time there and I thoroughly enjoyed your trip report.

caleb1

Thu Mar 22, 2012 2:16 am

What can I say Roni...You're still the best out there!! You have this innate ability to make the reader feel as though he or she was on the trip with you because the details and descriptions that you give are so vivid. I can't wait for your next installment. Take it easy.

The777Man

Fri Mar 23, 2012 10:38 am

Hi Roni !

Thanks for a fantastic report with absolutely stunning pictures especially the ones from Tahiti!

I wanted to go to Tahiti and your pictures from there will make me start planning to go there sooner than later.

Flights on TN seems on okay a bit similar to my experience on Air Austral but with a Tahitian twist. How would you compare the two ?

That's a very long flight all the way from PPT to CDG via LAX. It's got to be really strange to transit the US with a US passport! I flew HKG-NRT-LAX rested for 8h and then to IAD last Friday all in Y and I'm still tired from that......

Very much looking forward to the conclusion of this RTW journey !

Thanks again for a great report!

The777Man
Boeing 777s flown: UA, TG, KE, BA, CX, NH, JD, JL, CZ, SQ, EK, NG, CO, AF, SV, KU, DL, AA, MH, OZ, CA, MS, SU, LY, RG, PE, AZ, KL, VN, PK, EY, NZ, AM, BR, AC, DT, UU, OS, AI, 9W, KQ, QR, VA, JJ, ET, TK, PR, BG, T5, CI, MU and LX.. Further to fly.. LH 777

Bedo

Sat Mar 24, 2012 9:27 pm

This is a master piece!!

Thank you so much for sharing this with us. This was a great afternoon reading your story!

Looking forward to read the last part of the trip.

Reagards.

Benito
bedo

ronerone
Topic Author

Sun Apr 01, 2012 6:26 pm

Quoting TR763 (Reply 61):
Oh, what a great trip report, Roni!!

Many thanks TR763! Glad you enjoyed  
Air Tahiti Nui is an airline I'd love to fly one day. First, because it seems to be a good airline, with sexy colors and aircraft interiors. Second, because Tahiti must be a wonderful place to visit!!

Definitely the reasons why i did this trip!

And wow, you've got a good sun burn!! Hope you are ok with it now! lol

Haha yes, all gone now! Time for more maybe haha.

Quoting deltamartin (Reply 62):
Great report, the pictures of the islands are truly spectacular, looks really beautiful, I wanna go there some day!

Thanks Martin. You should definitely go there!  
It's indeed a very beautiful aircraft. and that livery sure doesn't hurt its looks either!

Totally agree!

Then you must have been seriously bored!

Big time!

Quoting Dash8Driver16 (Reply 63):
I Have some very good memories from my trip Down there. Your trip report drags up some good memories including buying a necklace that i still have from the gift shop at the Moorea Airport. I took Air New Zealand from LAX to PPT it was a 767-300 and I remember being amazed it had foot rests in Coach. We then walked over to the old Air Moorea Terminal(Shack) where we took a Twin Otter over to Morrea for a couple Days. We then Took Air Tahiti on the ATR to Raitea direct from Moorea. We then were on a Chartered Boat for a week and ended in Bora Bora for a couple days then flew back to PPT on the ATR72 and immediately turned around and went to Nuka Hiva on the ATR42. Back onto another boat for a couple weeks and then we Jumped off in Ua Pou and took and Air Moorea DO-228 to Nuka Hiva and back to PPT and then ANZ back to LAX. Tahiti was one of the most incredible places I have ever been the Natural beauty was very well complemented by the friendly demeanor of the people.

I am very glad you had a good time there and I thoroughly enjoyed your trip report.

Hi Dash8Driver16,

Thanks for stopping by.

Sounds like you had some great times in French Polynesia. There is so much more to see there, and i wish to return one day to see the rest!

Quoting caleb1 (Reply 64):
What can I say Roni...You're still the best out there!! You have this innate ability to make the reader feel as though he or she was on the trip with you because the details and descriptions that you give are so vivid. I can't wait for your next installment. Take it easy.

Thanks caleb1, as always  
Quoting The777Man (Reply 65):
Hi Roni !

Thanks for a fantastic report with absolutely stunning pictures especially the ones from Tahiti!

I wanted to go to Tahiti and your pictures from there will make me start planning to go there sooner than later.

Hi Lars! Thanks for stopping by  

Too bad there isn't a 777 ride to Tahiti, otherwise i'd know you would have done this already   haha

Quoting The777Man (Reply 65):
Flights on TN seems on okay a bit similar to my experience on Air Austral but with a Tahitian twist. How would you compare the two ?

Very good question. I thought Air Austral was better. The food was better, and so was the service. But then again, my UU flight was light, whereas my TN flights were all packed.

Quoting bedo (Reply 66):
This is a master piece!!

Thank you so much for sharing this with us. This was a great afternoon reading your story!

Looking forward to read the last part of the trip.

Reagards.

Benito

Gracias Benito  

Cheers,
Roni

The777Man

Sun Apr 01, 2012 9:21 pm

Quoting ronerone (Reply 67):
Very good question. I thought Air Austral was better. The food was better, and so was the service. But then again, my UU flight was light, whereas my TN flights were all packed

Yes, that makes a huge difference if a flight is full or not. My UU flight was completely full.

Quoting ronerone (Reply 67):
Too bad there isn't a 777 ride to Tahiti, otherwise i'd know you would have done this already haha

There is! ; AF flies a 777 there from LAX a few days a week. Perhaps I'll try it sometime, it's just so expensive in Tahiti though.

Looking forward very much to your next report!

The777Man
Boeing 777s flown: UA, TG, KE, BA, CX, NH, JD, JL, CZ, SQ, EK, NG, CO, AF, SV, KU, DL, AA, MH, OZ, CA, MS, SU, LY, RG, PE, AZ, KL, VN, PK, EY, NZ, AM, BR, AC, DT, UU, OS, AI, 9W, KQ, QR, VA, JJ, ET, TK, PR, BG, T5, CI, MU and LX.. Further to fly.. LH 777

ba319-131

Sun Apr 08, 2012 7:46 pm

Hi Roni,

Great report and read, apologies it took so long to get around to reading this, not enough hours in the day as of late.

Though I was one of the very last to board this ultra-packed cabin, all eyes were still on this new 'object' that just strolled in. Where's it going to sit?

- I know that feeling, been there as a passenger with the empty seat next to me.

I never open my amenity kits -and I never unwrap the plastic off them either

- I tend to wait until I am home, then picture them for the TR.

Whilst on a plane, my body has this strange habit of self-jerking itself awake only moments before falling into REM mode. Not sure why, but it has startled those seated next to me before

- I have the same 'issue' though I don't think my 'jerks' are as sever as yours by the sounds of it.

my very first ATR by the way!

- Amazing!

So sun burnt it was horrible

- Had the same problem in Santiago in 2011.

Cheers

Mark
111 732 733 734 735 736 73G 738 739,7M8 BBJ 741 742 743 744 752 753 762 763 764 772 77L 773 77W L15 D10 D30 D40 AB3 AB6 312 313 318 319 320 20N 321 21N 332 333 342 343 345 346 359 351 388 CS1 CS3 I86 154 SSJ CRJ CR7 CR9 CRK 145 170 175 220

signol

Mon Apr 09, 2012 3:05 am

Hi Roni,

thank you, one of the most comprehensive, easy-to-read reports on here, with some excellent photos.

Some above question why you are in Economy - well, as you said, the choice was fly business, or fly in the back and spend some days visiting the islands, I guess that answers it very well. After all, in Dubai you can take some very nice business trips and not worry. It is not every day you get to visit Tahiti!

Remarkable that it was your first ATR - I'm pretty sure I've yet to sample the type either.

I've used LAX for same-plane transfers before, on NZ1, and still didn't like the process. Why bother annoying everyone espeically if they are not going to enter the country? We're going back now, before NZ started offering London flights via HKG.

Now, what possible options are there between Paris and Dubai? How about a little trip through the tunnel, then RJ via AMM? Or the recently downgraded AF AUH A319? Looking forward to finding out!

Thanks again

signol
Flights booked: NWI-AMS-JNB-DUR, JNB-AMS-NWI

mirrodie

Mon Apr 09, 2012 4:04 am

Roni, thanks for bringing back some memories of our experience on Air Tahiti. Nice photos and youtube as well!
Forum moderator 2001-2010; He's a pedantic, pontificating, pretentious bastard, a belligerent old fart, a worthless st