deltamartin

RE: Africa (iii); The Medivac QR Rtn& A3 TLV-ATH

Sun May 27, 2012 2:02 pm

Hi Luke.

Again a very awesome trip report. I very much enjoyed to read it. Some really nice pictures together with some well put words.

Quoting lukeyboy95 (Thread starter):
Finally Rasmita voiced it all “ Sir, it appears that your reservation has been automatically cancelled. This is because your connecting flight is no longer operating, therefore, you will not be travelling on today’s flight”.

Admittedly I am a little peeved, having being so prepared for the flight, and unprepared for the bad news. It is the first time I have even been denied boarding to a flight. Rasmita explains that she cannot pursue my quandary any further in lieu of the DOH based customer services opening hours. Qatar? Are you there? Global airline, destination across an array of continents, destroyer of the time zone…. And oh, we have to wait till Qatari time 0900am before I can proceed. The first of many farces.

Very badly handled I must say. Just like you said though, QR still seem to be a very good airline while airborne...

Flight sourced via SkyScanner, which I use often.

Great webpage, I use it a lot too.

Egypt

I really enjoyed the part on Egypt, which is a country I have wanted to visit for a long time. Alexandria seems like a really nice place.

Since I was young with a terrible skin condition, the dead sea has always gone down in my imagination for it’s therapeutic and surreal properties. At sunset, I clamber down to the untouched crystallised salty shore and plop in. The buoyancy is staggering… another highlight of the trip is enjoyed. I do get a little water in my eye… and fu*k it stings! You've had your warning.

Ahh the dead sea is also a place I have always wanted to go to. Such a unique place.

Martin

BAViscount

Sun May 27, 2012 2:38 pm

Hello Luke,

Well...words can't do justice to how thoroughly enjoyable your series of reports have been. I'm actually quite sad that they've come to an end, but no doubt you won't be sitting on your @rse for long and there will be more to come in the future! Just get a move on will you, there's a good chap! 

Cheers, Andy.
Ladies & gentlemen this is Captain Tobias Wilcock welcoming you aboard Coconut Airways flight 372 to Bridgetown Barbados

SloAir

Sun May 27, 2012 3:06 pm

Hi Luke,

your trip report series has been simply breathtaking. You are probably the only writer on A.net where I look to the non-aviation part of the trip even more than the actual flying part   Despite some criticism about the length of your trip reports I think that it is time well spent when reading them and I hope you will continue to bring them on in the same way. These African series has been a real eye-opener into the continent that is not covered that much, not only here on A.net but also on other travel forums.

I wish you all the best on your newest adventure and if you'll ever need a ride around Slovenia don't hesitate to ask.

Regards and thanks again for all the work you put into this series of trip reports,

Blaž
Visit Ljubljana

lukeyboy95
Topic Author

Mon May 28, 2012 5:11 pm

Hmm... Hi there. I had not noticed these replies so that was a nice surprise!

Hello Martin.

Quoting deltamartin (Reply 50):
Again a very awesome trip report. I very much enjoyed to read it. Some really nice pictures together with some well put words.

Thank you for the feedback!

QR still seem to be a very good airline while airborne...

I wish it weren't so but yes... they still set the standard very high. They have customer-service on ground in the legue of FR.

Great webpage, I use it a lot too

Sometimes a little misleading but a nice bit of flexibility with the search engine.

Alexandria seems like a really nice place.

It is! Much less hectic than Cairo that is for sure. There are many nice bars and good local places to get fine seafood from.

Ahh the dead sea is also a place I have always wanted to go to. Such a unique place

Fantastic! Highly recommended... I predict a combo trip of Egypt/ Joran for you in the future!

Greetings Andy!

Quoting BAViscount (Reply 51):
Well...words can't do justice to how thoroughly enjoyable your series of reports have been.

Fantastic! Those are the words I like to hear...

Quoting BAViscount (Reply 51):
I'm actually quite sad that they've come to an end, but no doubt you won't be sitting on your @rse for long and there will be more to come in the future! Just get a move on will you, there's a good chap!

Yes.. currently undertaking the 'funding' part of the next trip. I have a cheque for 1000GBP in Saudi Rials in my pocket... so it is progressing! Only I will have to furnish my trip with some snippets of aviation for an excuse to post the travelogue on this forum!

Hi Blaž!

Quoting SloAir (Reply 52):
your trip report series has been simply breathtaking. You are probably the only writer on A.net where I look to the non-aviation part of the trip even more than the actual flying part

Excellent... that can only be a good thing. Many people take the 'AVIATION' too seriously so I am happy to furnish the reports with plenty of silly text and pleasing non-av photos....!

I think that it is time well spent when reading them

That is important...

a real eye-opener into the continent that is not covered that much, not only here on A.net but also on other travel forums

hmmm. Yes one of the reasons I felt obliged to lay it on with the non-av was to give a nice representation of Africa. Hence also the title of the report series. They seem to have been well recieved on all fronts so this is great!

and if you'll ever need a ride around Slovenia don't hesitate to ask

Funny you should say this as I was a little disappointed to have to avoid it on my way up... but I have a great soft-spot for Budapest! Keep your eye's peeled for a roaming Scot though... you never know!

Regards and thanks again for all the work you put into this series of trip reports,Blaž

I appreciate that!....
Breaking down the stereotypes - one by one

Knightsofmalta

Tue May 29, 2012 5:20 am

Hi Luke

Quoting lukeyboy95 (Reply 18):
Once in a lifetime... although... Papua New Guinea to Scotland? Next year? haha... I am not yet adventured out!

Actually, a good colleague of mine at work did his Phd about Papua New Guinea English. Sounds like an interesting place, although he was somewhat old fashioned in his mode of transport and got on a plane. So passé! And if you manage to go all that way without catching a plane, then I think I'll have to start calling your Superman if you don't mind.

Cheers,
William

abrelosojos

Tue May 29, 2012 6:06 am

Quoting lukeyboy95 (Reply 45):
Fantastic... I am planning a bit of an American (S&N) epic if my funds have not run out. Will keep you in the loop!

= Sounds good. Give me some heads-up as my schedule is slightly irrational ...

Quoting lukeyboy95 (Reply 45):
Of course... Qatar capitalise on this. Undercutting competitors by just a little but enough to woo people in ( I am guilty). It will be interesting to see if the whole product adjusts well to NDIA.

= A pig with a lipstick ... is still a pig. You cannot change the culture of a place by moving it to shining facilities.

I remain skeptical about Doha.

Quoting gabrielchew (Reply 41):

Sorry about causing a ruckus....I do enjoy your reports...Honest!

= LOL. What? One great TR writer criticizing another   ... kidding.

Saludos,
A.
Live, and let live.

sultanils

Wed May 30, 2012 2:25 pm

Hello lukeyboy,

Thanks for this nice concluding piece of this epic journey of yours. As low as one can possibly get with the treatment you received by the SQ ground staff, as high the rest of the whole experience in Africa was. A good thing that the ‘air experience’ on QR was quite OK - that at least made a few percent up for it.
Look at it from the positive side: the marvellous travelling you have done in Africa and beyond make the bad QR ground treatment pale out, at least that’s what I think. Couldn’t it be more of a contrast that an airline (Aegean) of a country in deep economic crisis wins it out from a 5* bling bling carrier (Qatar)?

Thanks again,

Sultanils
In thrust we trust.

daviation

Wed May 30, 2012 8:01 pm

Well, everyone has said it already. This trip report should become a book. Your journey almost seems like it's from another era. Do you ever get the feeling that you are traveling through time as well as space? Anyway, I'm going to print this report and re-read it.
PlaneFlown:717,727,737,747,757,767,777,DC8,DC9,DC10,L1011,F100,A300,319,320,321,330,340,CRJ,ERJ,E190,Av85,DH8,Beaver,ATR

sultanils

Wed May 30, 2012 8:24 pm

Quoting Sultanils (Reply 48):
the treatment you received by the SQ ground staff

"QR" that is of course!

Sultanils
In thrust we trust.

lukeyboy95
Topic Author

Thu May 31, 2012 9:07 pm

Hi there people. And again thanks alot for the replies.

Due to A.net site technicalities - a raft of replies was deleted. I am a little peeved at this... but regardless

Hi William.

Quoting Knightsofmalta (Reply 46):
did his Phd about Papua New Guinea English.

It's funny how these people who do Phd's conveniently do them in some excellent parts of the world!

somewhat old fashioned in his mode of transport and got on a plane. So passé!

ha. Well... I have heard it's as wild and death-defying as taking the bus in PnG with these Aussie pilots of the mountainous terrain. I can't go far into Papua but hopefully enough to get the feel for it...

if you manage to go all that way without catching a plane, then I think I'll have to start calling your Superman if you don't mind.

If I did manage it it would mean nothing went wrong (no medivacs) so I hope for this too. It is alot more straight-forward than the Africa one (he hopes.)

Alex -

Quoting abrelosojos (Reply 47):
= Sounds good. Give me some heads-up as my schedule is slightly irrational ...

Yes - I'd assumed you'de be a hard man to pin down on the map! I will keep you informed...

I remain skeptical about Doha.

Of course. The transfer staff would have to undergo extensive training. I will pass through it likely...

= LOL. What? One great TR writer criticizing another   ... kidding.

all smiles...

Alrighty Nils...

As low as one can possibly get with the treatment you received by the SQ ground staff, as high the rest of the whole experience in Africa was. A good thing that the ‘air experience’ on QR was quite OK - that at least made a few percent up for it.

I wish so much I had been getting SQ-esque ground service!

make the bad QR ground treatment pale out, at least that’s what I think.

Yep. I'd like to say it is forgotten but I am determined to at least get a sincere apology from Qatar Airways. I have sent them links to the reports and quoted some of the outraged comments. Suppose they don't expect most disgruntled passengers to blog...

an airline (Aegean) of a country in deep economic crisis wins it out from a 5* bling bling carrier (Qatar)

It might have something to do with Greek carriers having a more cohesive identity. The Gulf Carriers are just a stramash of nationalities with alot who clearly couldn't give too hoots about the reputation of their country. And hurrah to the Greek airlines.

Hi Dav(id?)

Quoting daviation (Reply 49):
Well, everyone has said it already.

But it is great to hear the feedback... many thanks!

This trip report should become a book. Your journey almost seems like it's from another era.

Ha. I suppose some parts of the world are in a different phase of development... When I look at the photos I feel as though it is not me either.... it feels worlds away now.

Do you ever get the feeling that you are traveling through time as well as space?

of course! That (by way of the backward state of development often found in parts of Africa) and often as though I were watching a world in slow motion. More relaxed - taking much more of the beauty of life in

Anyway, I'm going to print this report and re-read it.

Ha. Great... now here is a question. I wouldn't mind a hard copy of my reports with pictures on. So can you let me know how you go about printing this? Is it just 'select' and then print or do you do it a more clever way?

Nils...

Quoting Sultanils (Reply 50):
"QR" that is of course!

Unfortunately I knew exactly what you meant! One day....

daviation

Fri Jun 01, 2012 2:48 pm

Quoting lukeyboy95 (Reply 51):
Ha. Great... now here is a question. I wouldn't mind a hard copy of my reports with pictures on. So can you let me know how you go about printing this? Is it just 'select' and then print or do you do it a more clever way?

I have printed several trip reports, always the best ones like some of the pilot reports or great adventures like yours. Of course I printed my own trip reports as well!! If you simply use the print button from the web site, it either excludes the photos or cuts off the margins. I have found that copying the trip report into MS Word and formatting/printing from there achieves the best results.
PlaneFlown:717,727,737,747,757,767,777,DC8,DC9,DC10,L1011,F100,A300,319,320,321,330,340,CRJ,ERJ,E190,Av85,DH8,Beaver,ATR

ZS-SAZ

Sat Jun 02, 2012 7:05 pm

Wow. That travelogue was fantastically beautiful in its honesty, prose and photography. I have also watched Into the Wild, and, indeed, although the chief protagonist may have had his faults, his ability to go far beyond the mundanity of everyday life was truly inspiring. I am similarly inspired by your story(ies), and your ability to seemingly place your trust in humanity, something I think that the majority of people simply do not have. It cannot have been an easy thing to do, particularly during your bout of malaria, and so I very much admire your determination and will to go beyond.

Hope you turn your stories into a book one day, so that many more people may have the pleasure of reading about this epic adventure.

KaiGywer

Mon Jun 04, 2012 5:08 am

What an amazing journey. I just finished reading this final chapter and wow....looks like a dream adventure!

I take the boat.

I thought this looked familiar, and sure enough:

http://www.faktaomfartyg.nu/skagen_1975_b_2.htm

http://www.faktaomfartyg.nu/borgen_1975.htm

Did you see any Color Line remnants on board? I have seen photos of other ships that were bought from Color Line that still has their logo random places around the ship.
“Once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, an

lukeyboy95
Topic Author

Mon Jun 04, 2012 7:23 am

Hi Daviation,

Quoting daviation (Reply 52):
I have printed several trip reports, always the best ones like some of the pilot reports or great adventures like yours.

A nice idea, as it would be a shame to see some of them lost into the depths of Anet. Also some of the photo hosting websites go a little wonky after time...

Quoting daviation (Reply 52):
I have found that copying the trip report into MS Word and formatting/printing from there achieves the best results.

Of course. Logical, I should do this also. Thanks...

Hi ZS-SAZ.

Quoting ZS-SAZ (Reply 53):
That travelogue was fantastically beautiful in its honesty, prose and photography.

Very, very kind. I was quietly interested to see whether I would get a South African's reply! So it is nice to hear from you... I had a good old time in your country, with both the glamor and the grime!

your ability to seemingly place your trust in humanity, something I think that the majority of people simply do not have.

I suppose we do it in small, controlled ways each day of our life (that trust), but I took comfort in the fact that I was relying on people to get me home. They delivered and gave this trip an added value I could never have anticipated.

Hope you turn your stories into a book one day, so that many more people may have the pleasure of reading about this epic adventure.

You just never know. Pop in A.net in the dedications. . .

Hello Kai,

Quoting KaiGywer (Reply 54):
What an amazing journey. I just finished reading this final chapter and wow....looks like a dream adventure!

It was great... mum said it was a holiday, which I kindly reasoned it wasn't. Yes, an adventure. Good, carefree fun!

Quoting KaiGywer (Reply 54):
I thought this looked familiar, and sure enough:

http://www.faktaomfartyg.nu/skagen_1975_b_2.htm

http://www.faktaomfartyg.nu/borgen_1975.htm

Did you see any Color Line remnants on board? I have seen photos of other ships that were bought from Color Line that still has their logo random places around the ship.

Cool. Interesting stuff...

Quote:

2005 10 31. Såld till Arab Bridge Maritime Co, Aqaba, Jordanien. Omdöpt till SHEHRAZADE.

2011 08. Såld till Indiska upphuggare. Satt under Tuvala flagg, hemmahamn Funafuti. Omdöpt till SHEHRAZAD.

2011 09. Ankom Alang, Indien.

So, this would suggest she got put up on the beaches of Alang for scrap??!! This is really interesting... twofold, to see her history and see she was scrapped so soon after being on her, and also 3 years ago I visited the infamous Alang in Gujarat province. It is fascinating. As a westerner, you can only get so far, but I would highly recommend a visit as it is stacked with all the contents, furniture, fixtures, fittings of these glorious ships... You can't get up to the ships but you see them mightily all lined up on the beach.

I also suspected she had had a European history. I wasn't searching for logos, but I saw the shipbuilders plaque, and also a disused bar area with Heineken Beer taps. Needless to say this made me reminisce !

KaiGywer

Mon Jun 04, 2012 8:59 am

Quoting lukeyboy95 (Reply 55):
So, this would suggest she got put up on the beaches of Alang for scrap??!!

Indeed. The 2011 08 date stamp says sold to Indian scrappers, then the 2011 09 says arrived Alang. It's a very interesting site if you are interested in ships. It's in Swedish, but Google Translate should give you a general idea of what it says. You can browse by ship name, owner, by type etc.
“Once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, an

akhmad

Thu Jun 14, 2012 3:54 pm

Hi Luke,

I did not realize that you were away from home for that long, but… I am speechless! I do not know how to describe it, okay,… one first attempt, B-R-I-L-L-I-A-N-T.

Your story gets me down to earth that I need to appreciate genuine hospitality and generosity even more in the privileged world I live nowadays. Second attempt, T-O-U-C-H-I-N-G.

Let’s go to more details.

Quoting lukeyboy95 (Reply 1):
Finally Rasmita voiced it all “ Sir, it appears that your reservation has been automatically cancelled. This is because your connecting flight is no longer operating, therefore, you will not be travelling on today’s flight”.

What? And no alternative flight arrangement was made?

And oh, we have to wait till Qatari time 0900am before I can proceed.

I’ll beg your pardon? Why do we, global customers’ have to adjust to Qatari times while dealing with around the clock business matters? Pathetic!

QR have an agreement with Burger King, so as a result, you will only be able to use your food vouchers at the specified branch”

And that arrangement was made by an five star airline? QR, what is wrong with you?  

I am most bitter about this.

Missing irreplaceable moments. No compensation would make it up for this.

Dinner menu handed out.

It soon becomes a collector item. No menus are distributed anymore in Economy on segment like Doha-Brussels, but you can still expect one on Doha-Melbourne segment for instance.

The usual rigmarole plays out; hot towel, sweetened smiles, gaudy table paper cloth and some menus

To be honest, I like the hot towel and paper cloth service.

Everybody loves a lavvy shot

I am recognised by a transfer staff member who I overhear sniping “ oh, it is heeem, here to cause trouble again” to a colleague . There you go – a snippet of QR ground staff’s attitude.( Latterly, proof reading this report, it is hard to believe they said this, but I tell no lies).

I believe you. OMG, that staff member is a total disgrace to QR!   

an overworked toilet-cleaner lethargically mopping up mess.

Poor guy.

overworked QR staff

I am allowed both, and both are delicious.

I am happy to hear that.  

Here goes another culinary critique; The typically cooked breakfast was not too bad. It looks a little like a stramash, the sweetcorn being a strange addition, but it was tasty regardless. My only gripe is that the sausage looks pretty anaemic, and I don’t think QR have quite tuned into the ‘art’ of the sausage akin to the British and the Germans. The vine tomato is similarly not cooked, so discarded. But overall, it is tasty.

That’s good! To be honest, I loved the sweet corn and anemic looking sausage.

I find this more than adequate for the run.

Absolutely. I could not finish QR meal as I was too full at the end.

Quoting lukeyboy95 (Reply 3):
Helium balloons on roof.

Somehow, I like the view.

Vending machine for bouquets of flowers.

Well thought idea!

The FA’s also furnish me with another meal plate when I explain I am still a little hungry.

Kudos to them!   

The next day I was admitted to hospital with an advanced stage of malaria,

Luke, what’re you doing yourself?

Quoting lukeyboy95 (Reply 9):
Sleeping out under the stars

It must have been a wonderful experience.

They warmly invited me to stay on for some food when they had caught fish, and offered to share their water and delicious sweet shai.
e furnished me with cold green grapes (his cargo) and a glass of water. This is the true hospitality of the Middle (or Near) East.
a wealthy Palestinian family furnish me with cold, frsh fruit, crisps and water for my night under the stars.
insular man of precious words called Mr Taisir. He invites me home to his family for the afternoon. Despite it being Ramadan, he insists on my eating. I’m the object of the families curiosity, and they’re all wonderful.
He gets me to taste test for the best plums, sweetest grapes and juiciest apples as he is unable to given the sun has not yet set. I am privileged that evening to witness and take-part in a families Ramadan routine. Rugs are placed outside, the children set up the TV and the evening call to prayer begins. The wife and daughters brings out a glorious spread, which, when the time is right, is set upon by all gathered. It is so wonderful, I am reminiscing right now. Oh!
Quoting lukeyboy95 (Reply 11):
His family are revered by for being so utterly welcoming and generous, tears of compassion came to my eyes when I had to leave. They were such a good bunch, and very honourable and approachable Muslims.
As is the farmer who brings me a plastic bottle of beer, and a loaf of bread that night as I think I am camping secretively in his field. It is all too much, the hospitality, the kindness, the warmth.
From the outskirts of Sarajevo, a thrilling, elderly couple pick me up and drive me to Tuzla. I sleep happily in their car, and they’re so sweet – insisting on buying me lunch at a café.
15 minutes of cold sweat panicking later, my man drives into the petrol station forecourt, and returns my diary. I think the dramatic, awkwardly long hug lets him know my gratitude.
Sweet old Ahmed and his battered Transit.

Moments you will cherish forever!

Oh yes, third attempt. B-E-A-U-T-I-F-U-L. And fourth one. M-O-V-I-N-G.

Stunning road at Pluzine

Ah, the fifth! G-O-R-G-E-O-U-S

I consider my parents loosing their boy. It is an awakening...
Home sweet home

Your parents were not losing you. You’re back! Safe and sound!  

Scenes from Tel Aviv’s impressive city airport which features amazing approaches over the shorefront.

What’s Air Seychelles Short 360 doing there?

I turn 23

Happy belated birthday, Luke!   

Thank you so much for sharing. I am on your side if others dare to complain about your report.

Warmest regards,
Suryo  

There is no deity except You. Exalted are You. Indeed, I have been of the wrongdoers.

odafz

Wed Jun 20, 2012 8:45 am

Good morning young man
I am amazed with your story telling talent and you are the new Stanley Livingstone of the internet age.

I will not comment on your fascinating story but to thank you for the very nice pictures of my birth town ( I was born in Alexandria) and I get emotional by seeing them. Thank you also for your positive outlook on Jordan/Egypt etc being an Arab myself (born in Egypt, Raised in Lebanon and now a citizen of Greece) , you can at least have a grey and ivory picture of what the situation in the Arab world is . As for Greece , I will not comment, but should I knew you were in such dire conditions , i would have gladly helped you / assisted you.
Your story in my eyes is one of the most beautiful coming of age experience I have heard of.
Wishing all you the best
Christian

lukeyboy95
Topic Author

Sun Jul 15, 2012 12:47 pm

Clearly I have become a little slack with the replying... regardless, many thanks for the continueing support of the TR!

Quoting KaiGywer (Reply 56):
It's a very interesting site if you are interested in ships. It's in Swedish, but Google Translate should give you a general idea of what it says. You can browse by ship name, owner, by type etc.

I have a healthy interest Kai, so this should serve me well, many thanks!

Since there are few to reply to, I have the time to bolden Suryo, many thanks for probably the most detailed reply I have ever had... you are a gentleman !!

Quoting akhmad (Reply 57):
I did not realize that you were away from home for that long, but… I am speechless! I do not know how to describe it, okay,… one first attempt, B-R-I-L-L-I-A-N-T.

I think all your words summarise it nicely... a definately unforgettable period in my life.

What? And no alternative flight arrangement was made?

That option wasn't even uttered. If there had been it would likely just have been EgyptAir (as I was terminating in LXR and few others serve it - I wouldn't fancy them!)

I’ll beg your pardon? Why do we, global customers’ have to adjust to Qatari times while dealing with around the clock business matters? Pathetic!

You know, it's when you see these sort of basic cracks in the system, that you realise that behind the scenes QR has alot of maturing to do.

And that arrangement was made by an five star airline? QR, what is wrong with you?

Suryo, if they had been repentant or apologetic, I could have swallowed it, but there return letter was arrogant and deffiant.

No menus are distributed anymore in Economy on segment like Doha-Brussels

Suryo! When did you last fly in the back on QR!? I'm always seeing your reports up front these days!

To be honest, I like the hot towel and paper cloth service.

So do I. But seeing what EK offer (metal cutlery / superior drinks service) , I would say QR still has improvements to make. I realise it is still better than most airlines...

I loved the sweet corn and anemic looking sausage

Well the sausage is always tasty, but I don't know how sweetcorn snuck into the breakfast inventory for airlines.

Luke, what’re you doing yourself?

I wasn't myself!

Moments you will cherish forever!Oh yes, third attempt. B-E-A-U-T-I-F-U-L. And fourth one. M-O-V-I-N-G.

Thanks, your detailed quoted of all these moments reminds me how wonderful it all was. After all, the combined product of all this generosity and kindness was to get me home from Africa!

What’s Air Seychelles Short 360 doing there?

Someone commented on it earlier, I think it had been purchased by a local airline and just not yet painted.

Happy belated birthday, Luke!

Thanks Suryo, almost at the next one already. How time flies...

Again, I must thank-you for such a generous reply and detailed reading of my report.

Luke!

HI Christain, very nice of you to comment on my report, and I hope that you see I replied (eventually!)

Quoting ODAFZ (Reply 58):
Good morning young manI am amazed with your story telling talent and you are the new Stanley Livingstone of the internet age.

haha... at least in Malawi I was following in some of his footsteps and that felt good. He also didn't seem like a reckless colonialist,.

thank you for the very nice pictures of my birth town ( I was born in Alexandria) and I get emotional by seeing them

Oh, lovely. I liked Alex. As I said, it was much calmer and the people easier than those of Cairo.

you can at least have a grey and ivory picture of what the situation in the Arab world is

Of course, it only reiterates that you can never, ever judge a country or its people, in less you have been there and got the T-shirt. I can hold my head up high now and talk about the ME/ Africa/ Russia etc. That isn't to say we can't comment, but that it must be within the realm of what we know for certain.

should I knew you were in such dire conditions , i would have gladly helped you / assisted you.

Haha - TR Title; Close to death in Athens. Help required. ! As it was, a kind Greek helped me so well. Next time!

Your story in my eyes is one of the most beautiful coming of age experience I have heard of.Wishing all you the bestChristian

Thanks. I am glad you see it as coming of age. It is a nice way to put it. But it suggests I can't have it again. Thus, I hope I will have two more 'coming of age' trips next summer!

Thanks Christian.

akhmad

Sat Jul 21, 2012 4:54 pm

Quoting lukeyboy95 (Reply 67):
Since there are few to reply to, I have the time to bolden Suryo, many thanks for probably the most detailed reply I have ever had... you are a gentleman !!

Aww, you make me feel special!   

Quoting lukeyboy95 (Reply 67):
Suryo! When did you last fly in the back on QR!? I'm always seeing your reports up front these days!

Is this an answer to your question?   

There is no deity except You. Exalted are You. Indeed, I have been of the wrongdoers.

lukeyboy95
Topic Author

Mon Jul 23, 2012 8:30 am

Quoting akhmad (Reply 60):
Is this an answer to your question?

Indeed! Ha... I'll wait patiently for an excellent account of it, and hopefully a happier transit time than I had!